PDA

View Full Version : Wild Card

anewman35
08-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I know, I know, people are going to be all "we don't want the wild card, we want the division!", and that's fine, but it's nice to have a fall-back option. That said, tonight's good news is that current wild card leader Boston lost to KC, so we're 1.5 back (and Tampa lost, too, which is good because, really, would it be shocking if they ended up behind Boston?) The Yankees are tied in the 9th, let's hope they lose, othewise they'll be tied with us. Seattle doesn't seem to be helping us out any with Minnesota, so at least we can take some good news out of the night...

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I take solace that KC obviously is in the middle of a stretch of playing good baseball. They just beat us 4 out of the last 6, and just beat Boston. They're not a bad team; they'd certainly be at or above .500 in the NL.

TDog
08-04-2008, 11:18 PM
It is still too early to kno how the wild card race will shape up. The wild card is usually more competitive than the division title. It isn't a terribly equibable race, either. You have teams from different divisions playing vastly different unbalanced schedules.

That being said, I expect the Yankees to win the wild card with the Red Sox winning the East. I don't see any way a team for the West will be able to step up and compete for the Wild carbut a couple of teams from the Central and East could compete for the spot. Things will be cearer a month from now.

Of course, it would be easier for the Sox to win their division, not because it would require fewer wins, but becuse there would be less competition, and that competion would be less arbitrary.