PDA

View Full Version : Richard sent down

anewman35
08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Shocking, I know. They're going to make the corresponding roster move tomorrow. So, what, Contreras up? Or another reliever and worry about the rotation spot later?

doublem23
08-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Didn't think he could make me pine for Jose Contreras... But damn, when the hell will the Count be ready?

thomas35forever
08-04-2008, 07:48 PM
http://dcsbible.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/flanders.png?w=134&h=167
"Thanks for stoppin' by!"

cards press box
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Shocking, I know. They're going to make the corresponding roster move tomorrow. So, what, Contreras up? Or another reliever and worry about the rotation spot later?

Either way, someone other than Richard will start against the Red Sox on Saturday. It goes without saying but a healthy Jose Contreras would give this team a much needed boost. If Contreras could replicate August and September 2005 during this August and September, then I like our chances against the Twins and in the playoffs, too.

Adele_H
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Well-deserved demotion, though I did like how he threw in the first start.

It's not the end of the world for Richard; John Danks similarly struggled in 2007.... and then came back with improved cutter, change-up in 2008 and kicked ass.

munchman33
08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I think this one will be back.

jabrch
08-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice try kid - hope to see you next year. Learn from your time here - and come back tougher next year...

Jim Shorts
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Thought I heard they're bringing Russell back.

October26
08-04-2008, 08:25 PM

It's not the end of the world for Richard; John Danks similarly struggled in 2007.... and then came back with improved cutter, change-up in 2008 and kicked ass.

I agree with everything you stated above. Sorry to see Richard sent down, but I expected it. I hope for good things for Richard in a White Sox uniform in the future. Right now, we need somebody who can pitch in the present.

Tragg
08-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I do too.
Can't Haeger or Broadway or one of those guys pitch as well as some of the performers in our pen?

JB98
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I do too.
Can't Haeger or Broadway or one of those guys pitch as well as some of the performers in our pen?

I don't think so.

I'd probably call up Link from AA before I'd roll the dice on Haeger or Broadway.

kba
08-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I do too.

Broadway started tonight against Syracuse and didn't exactly punch his ticket to Chicago: 5 2/3 innings, 3 ER, 5 hits, 4 walks, seven K's. Neither Broadway's season stats (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Broadway%20&pos=P&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=473560), nor Haeger's (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Charlie%20Haeger&pos=P&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=446624) are very impressive.

cws05champ
08-04-2008, 09:12 PM

Danks lasted longer than 3 starts and had a pretty good 1st half until he tired in the 2nd half. There's no comparison between the two other than both being left handed.

MetroPD
08-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Its Charlie Haeger time!:bandance:

Adele_H
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Danks lasted longer than 3 starts and had a pretty good 1st half until he tired in the 2nd half. There's no comparison between the two other than both being left handed.

I think Richard may be tiring a little himself, mentally more so than physically having pitched in A-ball not that long ago; this year must seem like a whirlwind. As a former football player, his development arc is a also expected to bend a little differently, anyway. He was here just for 3 starts until Contreras got better.

We'll see if he makes that next step that Danks made this past off-season.

wcw2323
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Is this confirmed, or just hopeful wishing?

JB98
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM

A roster move will be made tomorrow. All signs point to Jose Contreras coming off the DL.

Haeger has no business in the big leagues. I hope he is not recalled.

kittle42
08-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Why, does Ozzie want someone on the team who would have a higher ERA than Richard?

doublem23
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Why, does Ozzie want someone on the team who would have a higher ERA than Richard?

Reverse psychology.

chisoxmike
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Good God no.

RowanDye
08-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the laugh! :bandance:

doublem23
08-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Question. What chance does Clayton Richard have of being a Hall of Famer?

oeo
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM

Didn't we already find out that he's not ready yet? Give someone else a shot before Russell gets another opportunity.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM

The same chance as Vazquez, Contreras, and Buehrle.

sox1970
08-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Same as Fautino De Los Santos.

tacosalbarojas
08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Question. What chance does Clayton Richard have of being a Hall of Famer?same as Elvis Grbac.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Same as Fautino De Los Santos.

50/50. I like those odds. :cool:

voodoochile
08-04-2008, 10:26 PM
50/50. I like those odds. :cool:

No, see the 50 that would not see DLS in the HOF was due to major injury. I think Munch can claim having TJ surgery qualifies so he's off the hook.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 10:28 PM
No, see the 50 that would not see DLS in the HOF was due to major injury. I think Munch can claim having TJ surgery qualifies so he's off the hook.

Well obviously now, DLS's odds are lower, but his original odds were still 50/50.

Statistically speaking, if DLS is done, that means someone in Cooperstown would need to make way for the Clayton Richard Wing.

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Can we create a teal banana?

Let me ask this questions regarding Richard, can he be more effective for 1 inning than the crap we have in Boone Logan?

Logan is the guy who should go, like last week.

So much for "being on notice."

WhiteSoxBlog
08-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I hope so, I like what he did for the Sox

Jim Shorts
08-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I hope so, I like what he did for the Sox

Glad I'm not the only one...especially when the pen is bleeding to death.

Hitmen77
08-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Too bad Richard missed the Olympics because of this call up.

Mohoney
08-04-2008, 11:27 PM
A roster move will be made tomorrow. All signs point to Jose Contreras coming off the DL.

Can't they get a bullpen guy in for a few days and wait with Contreras until it's his turn to start?

Optipessimism
08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Can't they get a bullpen guy in for a few days and wait with Contreras until it's his turn to start?
They should make it easier on themselves and call up Contreras and a reliever. Send Wise down. He's not helping the team any.

Jim Shorts
08-04-2008, 11:42 PM
They should make it easier on themselves and call up Contreras and a reliever. Send Wise down. He's not helping the team any.

Agreed, but Ozzie seems to have a man crush on him though.

That, or his dislike for BA is still ringing long and hard.

JB98
08-04-2008, 11:51 PM

They can, but I haven't heard that they are planning to do that. Cowley thinks Contreras is getting activated.

voodoochile
08-04-2008, 11:56 PM
They can, but I haven't heard that they are planning to do that. Cowley thinks Contreras is getting activated.

If he isn't I'll be shocked.

salty99
08-05-2008, 12:41 AM
I also wouldn't be shocked if Wassermann is shipped out for Russell.

Chez
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Wise would have to clear waivers before he can be sent down. Not sure another team might not claim him.

oeo
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM

He's not? .305/.333/.508 in limited time...I'd say he's helping the team plenty. Plus he's our only SB threat on the bench (and actually our only real one, overall).

Why not just send down someone that's struggling in the bullpen? Like Logan or Wassermann (or both). And no, don't bring up Russell, he struggled the last time he was up here.

PolishPower83
08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
I think you've got to send Logan down, that guy is a mess right now.

nevr say dye sox
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Russell got the call up!

PaleHoser
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Russell got the call up!

Source?

kittle42
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Source?

No offense, PaleHoser, but I really hate "Source?" posts. I don't know why - they just irk me.

BigPapaPump
08-05-2008, 11:41 AM
No offense, PaleHoser, but I really hate "Source?" posts. I don't know why - they just irk me.

I hate when people say "no offense" but offend anyways. :rolleyes:

kittle42
08-05-2008, 11:51 AM

I don't say how saying *I* hate something or that something irks *me* should offend someone. Now maybe if I said "everyone" hates them, or they are "stupid," that would be a different story. I was just pointing out that I was not targeting him, but using the post as an example since it was the most recent instance of it I had seen.

nevr say dye sox
08-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I know somebody very close to Russell and he verified it for me this morning. If you look back a few weeks ago, I started a thread that Russell was getting the call up like a day before any media outlet released it. So I'm pretty confident this is the case.

kittle42
08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I know somebody very close to Russell and he verified it for me this morning. If you look back a few weeks ago, I started a thread that Russell was getting the call up like a day before any media outlet released it. So I'm pretty confident this is the case.

YES! More people taking credit for predictions!

Shoeless_Jim
08-05-2008, 12:25 PM
http://dcsbible.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/flanders.png?w=134&h=167
"Thanks for stoppin' by!"

haha.

08-05-2008, 12:26 PM
YES! More people taking credit for predictions!

I'm happy he posted it and I think he was just trying to stave off the "source?" type questioning.

Anyway, if it is Russell I hope it was drilled in his head to attack the strike zone. He was nibbling around a bit toward the end of his last stint.

kittle42
08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm happy he posted it and I think he was just trying to stave off the "source?" type questioning.

Anyway, if it is Russell I hope it was drilled in his head to attack the strike zone. He was nibbling around a bit toward the end of his last stint.

Agreed.

oeo
08-05-2008, 12:39 PM

At the end of it? That's what he did the entire time, and it's what he's done all year in the minors, too. He walks way too many.

Foulke You
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM

I agree. Russell looked good his first batch of outings because he was attacking the strike zone. I really liked his stuff too. Hopefully, he has learned from his mistakes and will come back strong. He certainly can't do any worse than some of our other middle relievers have been.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
This also suggests the Sox will have 12 pitchers when Contreras rejoins the team. The extra slot is due to Crede being unable to complete his rehab. I wonder how long that will take.

No one will have to get sent down till either Crede or Linebrink return.

Adele_H
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
This also suggests the Sox will have 12 pitchers when Contreras rejoins the team. The extra slot is due to Crede being unable to complete his rehab. I wonder how long that will take.

No one will have to get sent down till either Crede or Linebrink return.

So no Broadway or Egbert, then huh?

russ99
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree. Russell looked good his first batch of outings because he was attacking the strike zone. I really liked his stuff too. Hopefully, he has learned from his mistakes and will come back strong. He certainly can't do any worse than some of our other middle relievers have been.

I'm psyched since he'll likely be with the Sox for family night on Tuesday!

Sockinchisox
08-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Russell has been called up according to Gonzales.

palehozenychicty
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I got a text from MLB.com saying that Crede was also called up.

nevr say dye sox
08-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey Kittle42 how you like them apples! I will take credit for telling the board Russell is gettign the call up. Anything else you need to know about any other minor leaguer in the Sox organization?

SoxGirl4Life
08-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I got a text from MLB.com saying that Crede was also called up.

Crede takes Richard's spot

Who left to open the spot for Russell?

And isn't contreras coming off today or tomorrow too?

gogosox16
08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Crede takes Richard's spot

Who left to open the spot for Russell?

And isn't contreras coming off today or tomorrow too?
It says that Russell takes Richards spot but it say they have brought Crede back with out sending someone down?:scratch:http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080805&content_id=3256913&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

kittle42
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Hey Kittle42 how you like them apples! I will take credit for telling the board Russell is gettign the call up. Anything else you need to know about any other minor leaguer in the Sox organization?

I wasn't saying you weren't right - I was just noting yet another of the recent "look at me I told you all this before X, Y, and Z knew" types of posts around here.

I hope each of you is very proud of yourselves.

kittle42
08-05-2008, 05:19 PM
It says that Russell takes Richards spot but it say they have brought Crede back with out sending someone down?:scratch:http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080805&content_id=3256913&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Doesn't sound like Crede is on the active roster - just still on the 15 day DL.

FedEx227
08-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Kevin Dubler. Knew him from high school, let me know everything about him, please oh mighty one.

Sockinchisox
08-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Doesn't sound like Crede is on the active roster - just still on the 15 day DL.

That's what I got from it, it sounds like his back is too hurt to play so they just put a stop to the rehab assignment.

kittle42
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Kevin Dubler. Knew him from high school, let me know everything about him, please oh mighty one.

"His initials are KD." :D:

08-05-2008, 05:29 PM

I know you didn't ask me, but ... he's playing with Bristol. He was mentioned in an article a few weeks back in the local paper there. Seems the White Sox love his receiving skills and leadership ability and how he handles pitchers. They didn't say anything about his bat, which I believe is somewhat suspect from reading a few things pre draft.

EuroSox35
08-05-2008, 05:37 PM

I hate when people say 'no ****' or 'no **** shrelock', annoys the hell out of me!

FedEx227
08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but ... he's playing with Bristol. He was mentioned in an article a few weeks back in the local paper there. Seems the White Sox love his receiving skills and leadership ability and how he handles pitchers. They didn't say anything about his bat, which I believe is somewhat suspect from reading a few things pre draft.

Yeah, I've been trying to keep up with him. I was basically just being sarcastic to the great lord of White Sox prospects aka I got one call-up transaction right.

His bat is definitely "eh", but he can definitely run a pitching staff, hopefully he can get the bat going.

TDog
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Too bad Richard missed the Olympics because of this call up.

It's possible that Richard was called up so that he would miss the Olympics.

I don't know if Richard will ever pitch again for the Sox. Management sees some future in him, apparently. And such perceived potential may have led management to decide they didn't want him under the control of the Olympic team. The Sox had an injured starter and from the minors they brought up a young southpaw who otherwise would have been pitching innings the Sox had no control over.

Last night, the Blue Jays started a young pitcher who was selected by the Canadian team. On one hand he was good enough to be named to the Olympic team and when the Blue Jays needed to call up a pitcher they brought up someone impressing people, but on the other hand, team Canada is not so deep in pitching.

I don't know similar call-ups were made by other teams, though.