PDA

View Full Version : Buying Tickets at the Game rather than Online

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Not sure if this should go here or in the parking lot, but I have a quick question. What's the risk involved in buying tickets at the game rather than online? I got a group of about 6 people and half of them want me to buy the tickets online because they think the game will sellout and we will get stuck with Standing room. Should I get them online? Nobody cares where we sit, so I'm thinking Upper Reserved.

tony1972
08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Not sure if this should go here or in the parking lot, but I have a quick question. What's the risk involved in buying tickets at the game rather than online? I got a group of about 6 people and half of them want me to buy the tickets online because they think the game will sellout and we will get stuck with Standing room. Should I get them online? Nobody cares where we sit, so I'm thinking Upper Reserved.

Which game do you plan on going to?

DumpJerry
08-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Are you asking about scalpers or the Box Office? Scalpers is always a risk because you don't know if the ticket is legit.

The Box Office is fine, of course.

tony1972
08-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Are you asking about scalpers or the Box Office? Scalpers is always a risk because you don't know if the ticket is legit.

I think he means at the Box Office and if they waited to buy them would there still be tickets available..

My advice..if it's Friday through Monday or a big team like against the Red Sox but them online..

A weekday game against the Royals, Tigers, Rays, etc...you can probably buy them at the window..but will probably end up in the upper deck..

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-04-2008, 06:04 PM

We're trying to go to tomorrow's game and we would be getting them from the box office.

TDog
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I never buy tickets online, but the risk you take is finding nothing available With six people that is more likely than if you're going to the game alone or with a friend. I have only been to the Cell once this year. The people I was with got good seats in the lower bowl the night of the game, but the Sox were playing the Pirates. Against, say, the Red Sox, your experience might vary.

I am going to see the Sox play the A's later this month. I'm certainly not going to pay a convenience charge to buy the tickets online, but with the A's, there is no risk of a sellout.

IronFisk
08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
My rule of thumb is always go for box office if at all possible. Online fees suck and rob u blind. If it's a really big event, try Stub Hub first before succumbing to ticketbastard.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Double check the availability of seats on Ticketmaster and if there appears to be plentiful, you should be all right hitting the Box Office before the game, especially if you don't mind sitting in the nether reaches of the Upper Deck.

all*star quentin
08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
try www.chicago.craigslist.org (http://www.chicago.craigslist.org)
tickets are usually available from season ticket holders who either can't make the game or just want to sell. You then make arrangements to pickup tix in person or will call(box office)
I do this whenever I need extra tickets or parking passes, stadium club tickets. Never had a problem. If you think this is risky... ask if they take paypal.
good luck and bring us a win

thomas35forever
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Stupid question, and I'm sure the answer is no, but do they allow you to pay at the box office with a debit card?

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Stupid question, and I'm sure the answer is no, but do they allow you to pay at the box office with a debit card?

Don't most places that accept credit card accept debit card...especially if your debit card has a mastercard/visa logo on it?

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Don't most places that accept credit card accept debit card...especially if your debit card has a mastercard/visa logo on it?
I wouldn't think that would apply to the ticket windows at Comiskey Park, unless it was tied to a credit card company (has the logo on it). There's no way for someone to have the chance to enter their PIN through those windows.

EuroSox35
08-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Just buy them online and get will call. I'm sure many people will walk up to see Griffey. There was one game where I cut it very close, even though Ticketmaster had shown a good location of seats, they had told me it was sold out at first, but then they found 1 (no where near where I wanted it though, away from my group)

rookie
08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
With six though, if you buy tix at the box office, if you can't find 6 in the row, you might be able to get 3 in front, and 3 right behind.

I prefer Box Office, but I understand the need to buy online.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Yes, as long as it's backed by Visa, MC, AMEX, or Discover.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#CreditCardPolicy

NDSox12
08-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I had good luck buying tickets at the park on my recent trip to Chicago. My family and I arrived very late (after first pitch) for the Saturday night game against the Royals. Even though it was a near sellout, we were able to get four tickets behind the Sox dugout... granted, they were in the last row. I got four outfield tickets for the game against the Rangers the following Wednesday afternoon too.

So my experience is that good seats are available at the box office, even if a large crowd is expected.

DumpJerry
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM

I wouldn't think that would apply to the ticket windows at Comiskey Park, unless it was tied to a credit card company (has the logo on it). There's no way for someone to have the chance to enter their PIN through those windows.
By law, if a merchant takes credit cards (Visa or MasterCard), they have to take debit cards. You don't enter a PIN when making a purchase, by the way, with your debit card under these circumstances.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
By law, if a merchant takes credit cards (Visa or MasterCard), they have to take debit cards. You don't enter a PIN when making a purchase, by the way, with your debit card under these circumstances.

Again, that would only be debit cards that are backed by Visa or MC. There are still people out there with just an ATM card issued from the bank that's not backed by a major credit card.

Lukin13
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
This is a good question, thanks for bringing it up.

Lately I have found that any concert I attend, no matter how in demand, there are scalpers and fans alike just about giving away tickets outside the event the night of. It is to the point that I don't even buy tickets ahead of time anymore.

I never see quite as much of this going on at The Cell.

Does anyone here "just show up" and plan to buy tickets from scalpers or fans with extras? If so, what kind of tickets are around... upper deck, lower deck, between the bases etc.

Thanks!

LongLiveFisk
08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I guess it depends on how close you are to game time and how much of a risk of a sell-out the game is. I personally try to get down to the ballpark a couple of times during the year (usually when the Sox are out of town) to purchase tickets right from the box office. It makes a big difference not paying those extra ticketmaster charges. Obviously the more tickets you buy, the more you will shell out in fees if you don't go right to the box office.

It's Dankerific
08-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Again, that would only be debit cards that are backed by Visa or MC. There are still people out there with just an ATM card issued from the bank that's not backed by a major credit card.

But doesnt the Cell have BofA Atm's right near the box office? I seem to remember getting drinking money on a may evening after the game.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 11:42 PM
But doesnt the Cell have BofA Atm's right near the box office? I seem to remember getting drinking money on a may evening after the game.

I think so, but if you don't use Bank of America, why would you pay the fee when you can just use your card at the window?

DumpJerry
08-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Yes.

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2008, 11:54 PM

This reminds me of an interesting experience I had once...me and my buddy bought tickets game of at the box office and when we went to the gate they were scanned as "Stop." They asked where we bought them and we told them the ticket window. They then had us go inside a special entrance (I think it is the entrance where some of the high end ticket holders go through) and into the Sox front offices....we then had to present our tickets to an FBI agent (who I assume is always there on game days) and he was able to authenticate them from a database. It was a minor inconvinience but cool to see the behind the seans workings. As an added bonus, they let us take an elevator up to the stadium, which we actually shared with the Angels play-by-play guys.

It's Dankerific
08-05-2008, 02:42 AM
I think so, but if you don't use Bank of America, why would you pay the fee when you can just use your card at the window?

You mentioned a small % of people who still have bank atm's with no visa/mastercard. in that case, i was just suggesting they could get cash at the ATM if their debit card didnt work at the window.

#1swisher
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
You mentioned a small % of people who still have bank atm's with no visa/mastercard. in that case, i was just suggesting they could get cash at the ATM if their debit card didnt work at the window.
I would add that if you're short of cash...why not just pay one fee for a ton of money. which is what you'll need for a day at the ballpark.:tongue:
Yes, there is a bank of america atm outside next to the bathrooms. I use this one because inside is usually a 1/2 hr wait for the atm.

skottyj242
08-07-2008, 12:42 PM

You can use your debit card you just have to sign like a normal credit card.