PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Beckham??

WhiteOut05
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Does anybody have any news on the negotiations with Gordon?
I can't find anything new.

Jonathan Mayo, the draft geek for mlb.com, lists the progress of each pick, but there's "no news" on Beckham.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
All I know is that he is still unsigned.

Britt Burns
08-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Don't worry, we'll get him. August 15th is the deadline...at this point I think Danks is the more iffy of the two, and I bet he signs as well.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Don't worry, we'll get him. August 15th is the deadline...at this point I think Danks is the more iffy of the two, and I bet he signs as well.

According to the 2008 Sox Draft Class status thread in Minor Observations, someone writes that Danks has already/or will sign. He reportedly will not be back with Texas next year according to Rivals.com.

After the Danks brothers dropped Boras, I would not doubt that to be true.

UofCSoxFan
08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
If he doesn't sign I'll be shocked. I'll be equally shocked if he signs before August 14.

soxfanreggie
08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I think they'll both sign, but I would agree with UofC that he won't sign until the last few days.

officerron
08-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Everytime someone posts here, I keep hoping I'm going to see a link to a page that says he's signed :whiner:

Oh well, about 1 more week, right?

sox1970
08-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Everytime someone posts here, I keep hoping I'm going to see a link to a page that says he's signed :whiner:

Oh well, about 1 more week, right?

August 15--between 9pm and midnight.

jabrch
08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm guessing the gentleman's agreement with Danks is based somewhat on what draftees go for in the first few rounds this year - and that's why they will wait. Also the Sox don't want to be amongst the first to pay way over slot - which they will do eventually with him.

Sockinchisox
08-09-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm sure this is just posturing, at least I hope it is. But Cowley has a blurb out with Kenny saying he doesn't care if Beckham signs or not and they'll take the extra pick next year if he doesn't.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1099245,CST-SPT-soxnt09.article

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm sure this is just posturing, at least I hope it is. But Cowley has a blurb out with Kenny saying he doesn't care if Beckham signs or not and they'll take the extra pick next year if he doesn't.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1099245,CST-SPT-soxnt09.article

This kid looks the closest sure thing we have selected in the 1st round since perhaps the big hurt.

They need to get this done.

Rockabilly
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
The Sox might face a problem Yonder Alonzo is wanting 7-8M and he was picked one slot ahead of Beckham so this could be why Gordon hasn't sign yet...

JermaineDye05
08-10-2008, 05:30 PM
The Sox might face a problem Yonder Alonzo is wanting 7-8M and he was picked one slot ahead of Beckham so this could be why Gordon hasn't sign yet...

Damn the Cubs and that Jeff Samardzija deal... I realize that the money first round draft picks wanting so much money isn't the fault of that deal directly, but it certainly didn't help, I still can't believe it.

soltrain21
08-10-2008, 06:51 PM

Kenny sounds like a real jerk sometimes.

08-10-2008, 07:24 PM

I like it.

Martinigirl
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM

What is he supposed to say? "We need him desperately! We will pay whatever he demands!" That is hardly bargaining from a position of strength.

Wasn't Beckham a senior? What is he going to do, sit out a year? I would assume they will come to an agreement.

The Immigrant
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
kenny sounds like a real jerk sometimes.

It's called negotiating leverage. It's how business gets done in the real world.

California Sox
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
What is he supposed to say? "We need him desperately! We will pay whatever he demands!" That is hardly bargaining from a position of strength.

Wasn't Beckham a senior? What is he going to do, sit out a year? I would assume they will come to an agreement.

Beckham is a junior. And, no, he would probably not go back to school. He could take the JD Drew route and play independent ball, though. I agree, though, that it is in the kid's best interest to sign. I believe Danks will sign too. If not, though, this draft will have been a disaster for the Sox.

soltrain21
08-10-2008, 09:11 PM

I wasn't just talking about this situation. I was talking as a whole. With that being said, I hate how we handle draft picks. There is a reason our minor leagues really blow, and this one of them.

jabrch
08-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Only 3 of the top 11 picks have been signed, and 2 of them were HS kids.

Let's just sit back, relax, and see how this plays out.

voodoochile
08-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Only 3 of the top 11 picks have been signed, and 2 of them were HS kids.

Let's just sit back, relax, and see how this plays out.

How many of those unsigned 8 are Boras clients?

jabrch
08-10-2008, 11:47 PM
How many of those unsigned 8 are Boras clients?

Just 2...Alvarez, Hosmer

Unless I am missing someone.

UofCSoxFan
08-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I wasn't just talking about this situation. I was talking as a whole. With that being said, I hate how we handle draft picks. There is a reason our minor leagues really blow, and this one of them.

Kenny Williams being a jerk is not the reason our minor leagues blow. It's a combination of poor scouting and trading some good prospects for major league talent.

jabrch
08-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Kenny Williams being a jerk is not the reason our minor leagues blow. It's a combination of poor scouting and trading some good prospects for major league talent.

Who did we trade who we are currently missing? Chris Young is hitting .232/.297/.418 (incidentally, that's about the same as his career #s).

Williams uses parts in the farm that are either overrated or redundant in trades. And he wins out much more often than he loses.

UofCSoxFan
08-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Who did we trade who we are currently missing? Chris Young is hitting .232/.297/.418 (incidentally, that's about the same as his career #s).

Williams uses parts in the farm that are either overrated or redundant in trades. And he wins out much more often than he loses.

I'm not saying we miss anyone. I was just responding to a criticism that our minor league system is depleated.

The Rays and Brewers for years have had great minor league systems and where has that gotten them?

I much rather have a top major league team. For small market teams, developing your own talent is vital. For teams like the Sox, who do have the ability to bring in free agents and take on salary, it is less important for sure.

I think we're on the same page.

Domeshot17
08-11-2008, 01:25 AM
We better not let him slide away. There is basically a 1a-1b-1c-1d as to why our minors suck, all about even.

1 (a) Our scouting department is terrible. It has been shown and proven. Add to that they do stupid things like blow draft picks on family members.

1 (b) We are working now with Buddy Bell, but there has been no idea on how to develop a player in the minors.

1 (c) Im not huge into the Sox are cheap crap with MLB talent, but the truth is they got burned once by Borchard and have refused to ante up since. They don't draft guys who fall and are tough signs, and pass on them for easy signs. This was the case with Broadway (who looks like a 5th sp/spot starter/long reliever at best) Mcculloch (never will make the pros) and Poreda (good hard thrower, probably a lefty set up in the future with lack of a pitching arsenal). They won't work with any Boras client, they are stubborn, and I still think the choice to draft Poreda over Porcello is really going to haunt us.

1(d) Trading prospects for talent. Some times you win (Reed for Freddy), Sometimes you come out about even (Javy for Young) and sometimes you lose (Swish for gio and DLS). That has taken its toll. The funny thing is the 1 year we actually won the series (and made the playoffs under Kenny), we didn't do a hell of a lot with prospect trading. Freddy was a carry over move, but Loaiza got us Jose, Lee got us Pods and money for FA. It is also the only year Kenny has been any kind of player in FA (although Dye and AJ were both considered high risk moves at the time, with Dye's injury history and AJ's rep, clearly both were great gambles).

Kenny is a good GM. He has that salesman type attitude, he is hungry to win, and depending how you judge him he has done a pretty good job (1 world series title huge, only 1 playoff appearance, a few really bad years). But when it comes down to how he acts, I think he needs to tighten up more than Ozzie (I think Kenny tends to drive a lot of FA's away, rubbing players the wrong way) and when it comes to the minor leagues, he doesn't have a clue (but atleast he finally admitted this and brought in Bell!!!).

I also don't think the Wilder scandal had a huge impact on the farm. What it sounds like he was doing was going into other countries with so much money to sign guys with, and convincing them to sign for less or overstating his demands to the Sox and pocketing the rest. It might have been huge, but not enough is known yet.

We have to get Beckham signed, and I think we will. Kenny knows he will be the only prospect in the minors worth a damn next year for us. He has a chance to be a top 20 spec and a future corner stone player, and Im sure Buddy Bell is chomping at the bit to get a guy like him in our system. As for Danks I'm not worried either way. He got drafted high by us because he is a guy Kenny chased for a while. He was a major disappointment in College (next to no power, good speed, fair contact). Maybe he can work it out and find it in the minors, but I'm not holding my breath, he has a lot of work to do.

munchman33
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM

But it isn't about what the prospect becomes, it's about getting a fair market value for your prospects, which every other general manager seems to grasp. Kenny has had a tendancy to fall in love with incomplete players and spend the farm to get them, instead of their market value.

As for the Chris Young thing....sometimes trades work both ways. That wasn't a bad deal.

munchman33
08-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Lots of players play in an independant leauge to cash in the next year.

btrain929
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Lots of players play in an independant leauge to cash in the next year.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but outside of JD Drew, I haven't heard of many situations of that happening. But that could be just me not hearing about a lot of them. Can you tell me a few of the players that did go that route, and then cashed in the next year?

Max Power
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but outside of JD Drew, I haven't heard of many situations of that happening. But that could be just me not hearing about a lot of them. Can you tell me a few of the players that did go that route, and then cashed in the next year?

Didn't Luke Hochevar of the Royals go that route and end up being picked pretty high? Him and Drew are the only ones I can think of where that strategy really panned out.

EDIT: In 2005 Hochevar was drafted in the 39th round by the Dodgers, didn't sign, played in an independent league, and was picked #1 by the Royals the next year.

EMachine10
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Happens more than you think...JD's brother Stephen on Arizona played in the indy league. I can't recall all the names now, but there certainly have been these situations in the past.

delben91
08-12-2008, 08:37 AM
If the White Sox drafted him, Beckham can't possibly be any good. I hear the White Sox will never draft a solid, potential major league player ever again, so there's no point in even trying to sign him.

soxball14
08-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I was told by a friend of mine that works for the Sox in the PR office that beckham signed this morning

KyWhiSoxFan
08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
That's great news and a great first post, if true.

munchman33
08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I was told by a friend of mine that works for the Sox in the PR office that beckham signed this morning

*crosses fingers*

delben91
08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
*crosses fingers*

He's no DLS. :(:

UofCSoxFan
08-12-2008, 10:12 AM

If that's true then it's two days earlier than I had predicted. I've heard entering today only 3 of the top 11 picks have been signed so despite what some may think, Gordon still not being signed (as of yesterday at least) is not a function of the Sox being cheap but a function of Beckham waiting to see what the market is (which would be stupid not to do).

btrain929
08-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Can you keep us updated if you hear any other developments or details on it? Plus so we know you aren't someone that just created a s/n to create buzz on here? :D:

KenBerryGrab
08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but with the deadline for signing draft picks rapidly approaching, is there an issue with Gordon Beckham getting signed?

I'm hoping no news is good news.

JamMaster
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I just thought you guys would like to know. I will have more details later. It will probably be announced tomorrow.

JamMaster
08-12-2008, 11:03 AM
He did sign this morning.

btrain929
08-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I just thought you guys would like to know. I will have more details later. It will probably be announced tomorrow.

Can I ask the typically overused "source" question?

Chez
08-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Great news.

jabrch
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM

That's great! Thanks Jam. Fingers crossed...

08-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the post.

Not doubting anyone or anything here but I'll wait until the official announcement, while in the same breath saying it would've been a huge huge shock if he didn't sign.

Rockabilly
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I hope it's true and got my fingers crossed that we sign Jordan as well

jabrch
08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
and so another warm stream of tinkle down some posters legs might be all for nothing.

Next scheduled Beckham bitch sessions should be reserved for his first 0-5 day.

It's Dankerific
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
and so another warm stream of tinkle down some posters legs might be all for nothing.

Next scheduled Beckham bitch sessions should be reserved for his first 0-5 day.

As will posts deeming him expendable if KW says so, right?

JamMaster
08-12-2008, 11:27 AM
My source is in the FO, pretty high up. Thats what I can say for now. It should be public tomorrow and I may have more about the specs later in the day.

Rockabilly
08-12-2008, 11:27 AM
My source is in the FO, pretty high up. Thats what I can say for now. It should be public tomorrow and I may have more about the specs later in the day.

Does your source mention anything about Jordan signing as well

JamMaster
08-12-2008, 11:28 AM
I have not asked, if I get word I will pass along.

Britt Burns
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Great news if true! I was never terribly worried, although I read in BA today that he was angling for a major league contract.

Chez
08-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Can he pitch out of the bullpen? :smile:

KyWhiSoxFan
08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Can he pitch out of the bullpen? :smile:

If Beckham can throw it that far, yes. But I would think he would pitch from the mound.

champagne030
08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Great news if true! I was never terribly worried, although I read in BA today that he was angling for a major league contract.

That better not be true or Jabrch will spontaneously combust. He's completely against signing picks to a MLB contract, yet if his idol did it????

CashMan
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM

I am going to assume Beckham, but I will ask anyway. Beckham or Danks is looking for an MLB deal?

Jeff B
08-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I am going to assume Beckham, but I will ask anyway. Beckham or Danks is looking for an MLB deal?
Beckham:
Miami first baseman Alonso, Georgia shortstop Gordon Beckham (No. 8, White Sox) and South Carolina first baseman Justin Smoak (No. 11, Rangers) all appear to be angling for big league contracts, while the second tier of college bats typically has received slot money or slightly more. I believe all three will turn pro, and if they do get larger-than-precedent deals, it will set the bar higher for the future.

JermaineDye05
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I find it rather funny that with all the skeptics on this board, that everyone is actually believing a poster who just showed up. Not saying I don't believe Beckham signed I just find it kind of funny. I mean if Rockabilly had said this same thing, I'm almost positive he would have been bashed by almost everyone, despite the fact he predicted the Quentin trade.

Rockabilly
08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I find it rather funny that with all the skeptics on this board, that everyone is actually believing a poster who just showed up. Not saying I don't believe Beckham signed I just find it kind of funny. I mean if Rockabilly had said this same thing, I'm almost positive he would have been bashed by almost everyone, despite the fact he predicted the Quentin trade.

you're probably right I would have bashed on this site all dam day, if I would had said this about Beckham.. But we can someone new comes on the site and nothing is said...

if I ever have some inside info I will just keep it to myself..

08-12-2008, 01:13 PM

That's kind of how it works on message boards I guess. What I found funnier was a guy who posts non stop on another board, who likes to claim some kind of "wink wink nudge nudge" insider status, posted 10 minutes after it showed up here, saying "no official sources, but lots of buzz that Beckham has signed". Without saying he read it here, which is lame.

As for rockabilly or anyone else, I hope they just keep posting and ignore the slings and arrows. If it ends up being bad information, the poster feels the wrath regardless. If it's good information, we are all the better for it.

It's Dankerific
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised people don't ask for social security numbers for verification of scoops. People here have higher standards than most newspapers.

Rockabilly
08-12-2008, 01:24 PM
if anyone wants to do some research if I do have a source within the AZ organzation. Their is another Sox fan website and where I gave the info about Vazquez coming to the Sox for Chris Young and Orlando Hernandez 2 days before the trade went down...

Just because im lucky enough to have a good friend in the baseball industry that gives me some inside info, i guess alot of people on this board is jealous...

08-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Just because im lucky enough to have a good friend in the baseball industry that gives me some inside info, i guess alot of people on this board is jealous...

Just ignore them. Who cares what people think? Just post what you know. As long as you're not making stuff up (and based on what I've read you're not) then you are doing the board a service.

CashMan
08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Just ignore them. Who cares what people think? Just post what you know. As long as you're not making stuff up (and based on what I've read you're not) then you are doing the board a service.

Agree 100%

JamMaster
08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I know what its like guys, I am actually a big fan of the Orioles (as hard as it may be) and they have a board orioleshangout.com that I frequent all the time. I always like the 'insider' info they pass along and I have a connection in the clubhouse there as well but I don't in the FO. Anyway, I don't get worked up when people tend to challenge you on things. Heck, I understand, I just joined today to pass this along. I do expect some good info going forward from the FO in Chicago however.

DaSox_05
08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I hope that the Beckham signing is true because this kid going to be real real good a Michael Young/Ian Kinsler type of player. I wouldnt be surprised to see him on the 2010 team!!!

gogosox16
08-12-2008, 02:42 PM
I hope that the Beckham signing is true because this kid going to be real real good a Michael Young/Ian Kinsler type of player. I wouldnt be surprised to see him on the 2010 team!!!
I think if he does sign he will need more than a year and this final couple of weeks left in the minors. I expect him to be on this team for sure in 2011 with a possible 2010 september call up

jabrch
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I think if he does sign he will need more than a year and this final couple of weeks left in the minors. I expect him to be on this team for sure in 2011 with a possible 2010 september call up

The good thing about drafting a college position player this high is that you expect him to be ready and performing in short order. 2010 or 2011 at the latest. Looking forward to confirmation on this signing.

btrain929
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
So about this getting announced today.....

Any updates, JamMaster?

UofCSoxFan
08-13-2008, 10:47 AM
All I know is Mark Gonzalez's White Sox blog, posted last night, said Beckham was still unsigned. I hope we hear something today.

JamMaster
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I was told yesterday that it may not go public until Thursday. Stay tuned, I am also trying to get the terms.

btrain929
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I was told yesterday that it may not go public until Thursday. Stay tuned, I am also trying to get the terms.

Any additional updates/details are absolutely appreciated. Keep up the good work, friend! Tell your friend in the FO to give you the juicy money figures involved :D:

Over By There
08-13-2008, 11:12 AM
if anyone wants to do some research if I do have a source within the AZ organzation. Their is another Sox fan website and where I gave the info about Vazquez coming to the Sox for Chris Young and Orlando Hernandez 2 days before the trade went down...

Rock, I appreciate your posts as much as anyone else here at WSI, but you need to stop these posts feeling sorry for yourself - you're not doing yourself any favors. Keep in mind that the majority of people appreciate you sharing the info you get, and don't worry about being so defensive about the naysayers. No one is going to build you a monument on a message board, I'm sure you realize that. When more of your posts are of the defensive, "you guys are just jealous" type than they are about actually sharing knowledge or opinions, that's when the tide around here will really turn against you, trust me...

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 11:17 AM
SS Gordon Beckham (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports.jsp?content=beckham), Chicago White Sox
Talks between the two sides are ongoing, and no one has indicated that Beckham won't sign. It's a bit of a gamble on Beckham's part, but it appears he's waiting as long as possible and learning what the market will bear before grabbing what he can from the Sox.

from MLB.COM

btrain929
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
SS Gordon Beckham (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports.jsp?content=beckham), Chicago White Sox
Talks between the two sides are ongoing, and no one has indicated that Beckham won't sign. It's a bit of a gamble on Beckham's part, but it appears he's waiting as long as possible and learning what the market will bear before grabbing what he can from the Sox.

from MLB.COM

Well I like hearing that in comparison to Yonder Alonso who said returning to Miami is "50/50."

spawn
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Rock, I appreciate your posts as much as anyone else here at WSI, but you need to stop these posts feeling sorry for yourself - you're not doing yourself any favors. Keep in mind that the majority of people appreciate you sharing the info you get, and don't worry about being so defensive about the naysayers. No one is going to build you a monument on a message board, I'm sure you realize that. When more of your posts are of the defensive, "you guys are just jealous" type than they are about actually sharing knowledge or opinions, that's when the tide around here will really turn against you, trust me...
Word. Rockabilly, why do you give a **** if people don't believe you? You seem to take it personally. You need to realize this: This is an internet forum. You probably don't know many people here outside of this forum, so why even care if a bunch of people you may never meet face to face say about you or your posts here? It's not worth getting upset over, and the pity parties you always seem to have when someone doubts you get old after a while. :wink:

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Word. Rockabilly, why do you give a **** if people don't believe you? You seem to take it personally. You need to realize this: This is an internet forum. You probably don't know many people here outside of this forum, so why even care if a bunch of people you may never meet face to face say about you or your posts here? It's not worth getting upset over, and the pity parties you always seem to have when someone doubts you get old after a while. :wink:

Lets make this thread about Gordon... People can believe what they want about me

thedudeabides
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
According to AM 1000, $2.6 million.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
awesome news makes my day alot better

now lets get Jordan sign

Hagan
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Sox sign Beckham, source within....signed between 1.3-1.5 mil..will report to Kanny.

bigsoxfan420
08-13-2008, 03:25 PM
:scratch: Is this another soccer thread?

wulfy
Whew!!

oeo
Woohoo! Good luck, Gordon, hope to see you in a year or two.

turners56
08-13-2008, 03:26 PM
According to AM 1000, $2.6 million.

About time...

BringBackBlkJack
08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Sweet. I just got done reading a SI article about how he hadn't signed yet. Glad to hear that's obsolete.

sox1970
08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
About time...

He signed earlier than I thought he would.

Britt Burns
08-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Great news! And at slot as well...

Welcome to the Sox!

DaSox_05
08-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I have been listening to ESPN AM 1000 all day and have not heard anything.

DaSox_05
08-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Never mind I just heard it on ESPN 1000 2.6 mil YES!!!!!

jabrch
08-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Just got a press release from the Sox - done deal... Beckham will be in Kanny tomorrow.

Soxfest
08-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Yes now lets get Danks signed and the draft will be good not withstanding KW Jr!

hose
08-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Just got a press release from the Sox - done deal... Beckham will be in Kanny tomorrow.

YES:bandance::bandance:

hose
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080813&content_id=3301886&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

it's official:bandance:

MeteorsSox4367
08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
In a word, awesome. I can't wait to hear Gene Honda announcing Beckham's name over the PA at the Cell in 2010.

Even though we've had infielders drafted in the past who were supposed to be the next big thing (Jason Dellaero, how ya doin'?), I think Beckham is going to be someone special for the Sox.

Get him up to the South Side so he can make UGA proud!

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Beckham will be at the Cell tonight to take BP

KyWhiSoxFan
08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
This is great news. It will be interesting following his progress through the end of this year while he's at Kanny.

It's nice to be excited once more about a minor league prospect in the Sox organization.

Tekijawa
08-13-2008, 04:36 PM
My ticket guy said he might be in uniform for Kanapolis tonight.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
My ticket guy said he might be in uniform for Kanapolis tonight.

he will be at the cell tonight and reporting tomorrow to Kanny....

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
any news on Jordan.. His family was suppose to meet with the Sox today .

Will be awesome to see both Jordan and Gordon at the cell tonight talking to Hawk and DJ

cleanwsox
08-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Nice job, would have been interesting to see if he would have been drafted if the CWS was before the draft. After tearing it up there, I'm excited to see his development.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 05:09 PM
he seems like a great guy to have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx1gUWuLLI

ChicagoHoosier
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Per whitesox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080813&content_id=3301886&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Sweet - glad this didn't get ugly. Hope to see him in two years.

kobo
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Just saw this on mlb.com, great news.

08-13-2008, 05:29 PM
any news on Jordan.. His family was suppose to meet with the Sox today .

Will be awesome to see both Jordan and Gordon at the cell tonight talking to Hawk and DJ

Why is Jordan going to be there?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Nice job, would have been interesting to see if he would have been drafted if the CWS was before the draft. After tearing it up there, I'm excited to see his development.

I think you mean to say: it would be interesting to see where he would have been drafted if the CWS was before the draft.

I thought that throughout the CWS, because I DVR-ed all his games because I wanted to see him play. In my mind, the Sox were lucky no one picked Beckham before them, because the Sox were always reported to be interested in him and he was projected anywhere from 6th to 8th in predraft mocks. And after seeing him play, I'm really glad the draft was before the CWS because I think he would have been picked before the Sox based on his performances in the CWS if the draft happened after the CWS.

palehozenychicty
08-14-2008, 08:16 AM
I got the text yesterday that he signed, and it's good news. If all goes well, he will get called up in late 2010. He lost a lot of this year already, so I figure he'll need two good calendar years to get up here.

:supernana:

doublem23
08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Why is Jordan going to be there?

Jordan Danks

btrain929
08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
With all the other top picks like Crow, Alonso, and Alvarez appearing to want 6+ million and MLB contracts, I'm amazed we got Beckham for 2.5 million. In my eyes, he's not very far from, if at all, from any of those guys talent-wise.

Kudos to the Sox and to Beckham.

Sockinchisox
08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
With all the other top picks like Crow, Alonso, and Alvarez appearing to want 6+ million and MLB contracts, I'm amazed we got Beckham for 2.5 million. In my eyes, he's not very far from, if at all, from any of those guys talent-wise.

Kudos to the Sox and to Beckham.

It doesn't look like Crow is going to sign, he just signed with an independent team.

btrain929
08-14-2008, 12:06 PM
It doesn't look like Crow is going to sign, he just signed with an independent team.

Right, because he WANTED 5-8 million dollar MLB contract. I wouldn't be mad at Gordon if he wanted a deal somewhat similar to those numbers, but he was really humble and agreed to a deal that is not over slot (if it is, it can't be by much).

kraut83
08-14-2008, 12:20 PM
So is Beckham expected in the lineup for Kannapolis tonight?

cws05champ
08-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Right, because he WANTED 5-8 million dollar MLB contract. I wouldn't be mad at Gordon if he wanted a deal somewhat similar to those numbers, but he was really humble and agreed to a deal that is not over slot (if it is, it can't be by much).
Only about $400K over estimated slot money...

08-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Jordan Danks

All me to clarify. Why would Jordan Danks be at the cell taking batting practice last night?

sox1970
08-14-2008, 06:39 PM
So is Beckham expected in the lineup for Kannapolis tonight?

Not in the starting lineup. Apparently they want him to watch Oney Guillen play baseball tonight.

Frater Perdurabo
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Not in the starting lineup. Apparently they want him to watch Oney Guillen play baseball tonight.

Ozzie even makes Kanny's lineups. :tongue:

soxfanreggie
08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Glad he signed, was thinking he could go down to the wire, but I am happy we didn't have to wait this out. :bandance:

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Watching Baseball Tonight, there were 6 out of the top-11 picks that were unsigned. Lucky for us, Beckham was not one of them.

btrain929
08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Watching Baseball Tonight, there were 6 out of the top-11 picks that were unsigned. Lucky for us, Beckham was not one of them.

I thought the deadline was 10pm CST tonight.

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I thought the deadline was 10pm CST tonight.12AM ET/11 CST, actually.

Rockabilly
08-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Beckham went 3/4 today

Frater Perdurabo
08-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Any chance Beckham could catch a flight from Kannapolis to Oakland for Saturday's game? We could use him at third. :redneck