PDA

View Full Version : Dye might be the best FA signing in the past 20 years

soxinem1
08-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Since the advent of free agency, teams have spent billions on players based on what they have done for other teams, a career year, or even desperation.

Jermaine Dye was definitely not a flashy FA pick up by any means, but if you compare the $$$$$ value with what has been delivered, who has been a better FA acquisition than Dye?

Excellent production in 2005 and World Series MVP.

Just might have been the MVP in 2006 if the team repeats as AL Central Champs.

Even the one down year he had, while hurt, in 2007 still saw him recover in the second half and finish with 28 HR's for a team that gave him no protection. All for a ****ty team with trade rumors and an unresolved contract situation to boot.

And this year has been consistent from the beginning for Dye. except for the first half of 2006, he's never had any consistent help around him in the batting order, as Thome, Crede, Konerko, Swisher, and others this year have taken turns not hitting. Dye's pretty much been there all year.

He is making $9.5 million this year, a considerable increase over his past three years with the White Sox, but by far and away lower than such high-paid players like Ordonez, Matthews, or Guerrero. Even Fukudome has more guaranteed money the next three years than Dye, and he has been nothing more than a slap hitter so far.

So based on the market, and his play with the team, who has been a better FA return than Dye?

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
On top of that, he's been all class.

Great thread!

35th&Shields
08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Another vote for JD.

Vernam
08-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I'll never understand why another GM wasn't smart enough to deal for him last year before the trade deadline. Yeah, he had a rough first half, but by the All Star Game, he'd long since shown signs that he was going to be okay. No contending team could've used him in the second half? But I'm sure glad we re-signed him.

Vernam

TSXNaVi
08-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Since the advent of free agency, teams have spent billions on players based on what they have done for other teams, a career year, or even desperation.

Jermaine Dye was definitely not a flashy FA pick up by any means, but if you compare the $$$$$ value with what has been delivered, who has been a better FA acquisition than Dye?

Excellent production in 2005 and World Series MVP.

Just might have been the MVP in 2006 if the team repeats as AL Central Champs.

Even the one down year he had, while hurt, in 2007 still saw him recover in the second half and finish with 28 HR's for a team that gave him no protection. All for a ****ty team with trade rumors and an unresolved contract situation to boot.

And this year has been consistent from the beginning for Dye. except for the first half of 2006, he's never had any consistent help around him in the batting order, as Thome, Crede, Konerko, Swisher, and others this year have taken turns not hitting. Dye's pretty much been there all year.

He is making $9.5 million this year, a considerable increase over his past three years with the White Sox, but by far and away lower than such high-paid players like Ordonez, Matthews, or Guerrero. Even Fukudome has more guaranteed money the next three years than Dye, and he has been nothing more than a slap hitter so far.

So based on the market, and his play with the team, who has been a better FA return than Dye?

Great Thread,

Cant and dont want to imagine the Sox without Dye since we signed him

Dan the Man
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Quentin would be seeing a lot fewer pitches without Jermaine.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Dye=Classy proffessional.

CashMan
08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
What year did Greg Maddux leave the Cubs?

esbrechtel
08-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Dye is awesome and quite possibly THE most underrated player EVER...the poor guy always seems to get hosed...

downstairs
08-04-2008, 02:36 PM

soxinem1
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM

A very good comparison. He left the cubs after 1992 for ATL, but he always was paid very well. He cracked $10 million in annual salary ten seasons ago, when even premier starters were not even getting half of that.

Dye has taken a lot less money than he could have received, and produced with class.

CashMan
08-04-2008, 02:47 PM
A very good comparison. He left the cubs after 1992 for ATL, but he always was paid very well. He cracked $10 million in annual salary ten seasons ago, when even premier starters were not even getting half of that.

Dye has taken a lot less money than he could have received, and produced with class.

I do concur. I am pretty sure, he said after he took his physical to sign with the Sox, Texas called him and offered him more money, and he declined.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I think JD REALLY likes playing here and might finish his career here. He's such a great asset to this team in accomplishing the BIG goal of winning it all.

chaerulez
08-04-2008, 02:57 PM
From 2003 to 2007, the Red Sox paid David Ortiz 17.5 million. I'd say that was an equally good signing. Plus, with the Twins Ortiz always played well against us so it was good for us too.

soxinem1
08-04-2008, 03:05 PM
From 2003 to 2007, the Red Sox paid David Ortiz 17.5 million. I'd say that was an equally good signing. Plus, with the Twins Ortiz always played well against us so it was good for us too.

From 2003 to 2006 he was up there. I thought of him too, and he has been a real good deal for BOS until after 2006. As of 2007, he now makes about $13 million a year to DH. His glove is covered with dust.

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
In complete agreement of this thread. I wasn't on this board last year but I would like to know the tone here when Dye was given an extension. I was part of other boards and you should have read some of the stuff people were writing ripping on Kenny for extending Dye. I'm sure some of the same might have taken place here.

turners56
08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Jermaine goes unnoticed all the time, even by us Sox fans. He has been one of the best FA signings in White Sox history.

Taliesinrk
08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I do concur. I am pretty sure, he said after he took his physical to sign with the Sox, Texas called him and offered him more money, and he declined.

Was it Texas? I always thought it was TB...

the gooch
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Jermaine goes unnoticed all the time, even by us Sox fans. He has been one of the best FA signings in White Sox history.Was it Texas? I always thought it was TB...
Arizona.

While it is early, I would say Texas got a good deal out of Josh Hamilton.

CashMan
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM

I thought it was Texas. I know he mentioned it, at the WS parade when he was on the mic.

turners56
08-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Yeah, it was the Rangers. Imagine what he could of done in that park...

JD really did like it here or he would of went to Texas where he wouldn't win, but would have MONSTER numbers.

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Texas for sure.

CashMan
08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Arizona.

He wasn't a FA pickup for them. I looked it up during the all-star break. The Cubs picked him up off waivers or the rule 5 draft, sold him to the Reds for like 100k, then the Reds traded him for a SP to Texas.

turners56
08-04-2008, 03:49 PM
He wasn't a FA pickup for them. I looked it up during the all-star break. The Cubs picked him up off waivers or the rule 5 draft, sold him to the Reds for like 100k, then the Reds traded him for a SP to Texas.

That SP was Edinson Volquez.

PennStater98r
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Arizona.

Not a free agency signing.

asindc
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
In complete agreement of this thread. I wasn't on this board last year but I would like to know the tone here when Dye was given an extension. I was part of other boards and you should have read some of the stuff people were writing ripping on Kenny for extending Dye. I'm sure some of the same might have taken place here.

The guys ripping KW for extending Dye are misinformed, to say the least. Dye has been the most professional player on the Sox, along with Buehrle, since his time here. Hope he stays a few more years to DH.

doublem23
08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
2007 scarred a lot of people, and I think many of them felt the Sox needed to blow up the whole team rather than try and continue to play for the now. Many of people ripping KW for extending Dye, IMO, were more upset with the philosophical decision made by the front office to try and build a contender in 2008, rather that start from scratch.

fquaye149
08-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Dye was a very good signing, but Ortiz was a much better signing.

That said, Dye was a very good signing.

jabrch
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I think many of them felt the Sox needed to blow up the whole team rather than try and continue to play for the now.

Some still do...

PaleHoser
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Dye has been the most professional player on the Sox, along with Buehrle, since his time here. Hope he stays a few more years to DH.

Agreed.

Anyone else noticed the man-love between Dye and Cabrera in the dugout since their dust-up? Cabrera always seems to be at the far end of the dugout but JD always manages to find him.

ChiSoxFan7
08-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Agreed.

Anyone else noticed the man-love between Dye and Cabrera in the dugout since their dust-up? Cabrera always seems to be at the far end of the dugout but JD always manages to find him.

I think that that happens alot...even when we were down 12-0 and we finally scored the entire dugout congratulated the run. I know its almost courtesy to do that but it seems that usually (not saying that in the rout they were estactic) genuine and happy for their own teamattes.

But back to dye i believe only one word can describe his play with the sox...

:hawk MERCY!

Shoeless_Jim
08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
No One.