PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Our Pitching Can Turn Around?

TomBradley72
08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Post All Star Break:

Twins: 3.99 team ERA, 2nd in the AL, just added Liriano
White Sox: 6.13 team ERA, 14th/last in the AL, Contreras & Linebrink on DL

I think Buehrle and Vazquez can get on a run and possibly "re-stabilize" the starting rotation. But w/Linebrink's health + the deterioration of Thornton and Logan...not feeling as optimistic about the bullpen. Little help available at AAA/AA...so these are the horses through the pennant race.

hi im skot
08-04-2008, 10:58 AM
The day off can't hurt...

delben91
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I have no statistical basis for this, but I find it hard to believe the pitching staff that spent chunks of the first half 1st in the AL in ERA was actually really this team that's last in ERA since the break and was just pitching that far over their heads the first 4 months of the year.

My guess is they're really somewhere in between, probably slightly above 7th in the league. If they get back to those norms, and continue hitting as they have recently (which I'd argue is probably not over-achieving either), then the Sox will be fine.

munchman33
08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I have no statistical basis for this, but I find it hard to believe the pitching staff that spent chunks of the first half 1st in the AL in ERA was actually really this team that's last in ERA since the break and was just pitching that far over their heads the first 4 months of the year.

My guess is they're really somewhere in between, probably slightly above 7th in the league. If they get back to those norms, and continue hitting as they have recently (which I'd argue is probably not over-achieving either), then the Sox will be fine.

Could be injuries, could be league catching up. One thing's for sure, it isn't a fluke. It's been going on for too long, and it's obviously something that needs to be dealt with on an individual basis with every member of the pitching staff. I don't envy Coop right now.

chisoxmike
08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Post All Star Break:

Twins: 3.99 team ERA, 2nd in the AL, just added Liriano
White Sox: 6.13 team ERA, 14th/last in the AL, Contreras & Linebrink on DL

I think Buehrle and Vazquez can get on a run and possibly "re-stabilize" the starting rotation. But w/Linebrink's health + the deterioration of Thornton and Logan...not feeling as optimistic about the bullpen. Little help available at AAA/AA...so these are the horses through the pennant race.

Honestly, I didn't think the pitching was as good as it was in the first half. I had worries about Linebrink, Logan, and Vazquez. But I don't think it's as bad as its been the past month.

The bullpen worries me the most. I don't think it's fixable, we're going to win or lose with the bullpen.

PolishPower83
08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
If they get back to those norms, and continue hitting as they have recently (which I'd argue is probably not over-achieving either), then the Sox will be fine.

I agree. We probably all expected at least a slight letdown from the way the staff was pitching early in the season. But there's no way they are as bad as they've been the past two series. I think Buehrle and Javy will be fine, it's going to come down to what we thought it would...our youngsters.

infohawk
08-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Didn't the starting staff hit the skids a bit during parts of July and August in 2005? I only bring it up because, if true, there's precedent for pitchers to slump and bounce back.

delben91
08-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Didn't the starting staff hit the skids a bit during parts of July and August in 2005? I only bring it up because, if true, there's precedent for pitchers to slump and bounce back.

Pitchers slump like everyone else. Just unfortunate so many on the staff are slumping at once (though Gavin and Javy were solid last time out).

They probably aren't as good as they were in the 1st half, but I'm certain they aren't this horrendous either.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-04-2008, 11:24 AM
How many games have we jumped out with a 1-0, 2-0 or 3-0 lead in the past two weeks only to be losing by the fifth inning? I dont know what the heck is up with our starters but it seems like they have been digging a hole for the bullpen and the pen in turn puts the game WAY out of reach...I mean come on...5 runs scored by the 2008 White Sox shouldn't be that hard to do...but you can't expect them to put up 8 or 10 runs EVERY night...the pen is giving this team a huge hump to overcome....

I dont get the sudden downfall...I guess its just baseball....

Foulke You
08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
The bullpen worries me the most. I don't think it's fixable, we're going to win or lose with the bullpen.
Agreed. I'm more worried about that leaky bullpen than the starting staff right now. Boone Logan hasn't been able to get anybody out for the last 4 weeks and is making his 1st half of the season appear as if it was a fluke. Thornton has been inconsistent and I worry that the back flare up is bothering him. This leaves Ozzie with no reliable lefties in the pen right now. DJ Carrasco has had to step into the Dotel 7th inning righty role and looked pretty good up until his last couple outings. I just don't feel confident with any of our relievers outside of Dotel and Jenks right now. We need Linebrink to get healthy fast.:(:

SoxGirl4Life
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Its the curse of Joe Morgan.

Ever since he dubbed our bullpen "one of the best EVER", its been downhill so fast we all have nosebleeds. That was the Sunday game (June 29th) of the Cubs series at the Cell. Anyone have a way to figure our bullpen ERA since then?

infohawk
08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Pitchers slump like everyone else. Just unfortunate so many on the staff are slumping at once (though Gavin and Javy were solid last time out).

They probably aren't as good as they were in the 1st half, but I'm certain they aren't this horrendous either.

I agree. I just checked some stats from 2005. I couldn't get ERA by month, but the "batting average against" (BAA) stat by month showed the Sox pitching staff (starters and relievers) collective BAA jumped up to .275 in July. It had been running significantly lower than that for each prior month. It also dropped back down in August and September. Your "probably aren't as good but aren't this horrendous" comment probably has a great deal of truth to it.

turners56
08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
When we get Contreras and Linebrink back, it will get better.

October26
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Its the curse of Joe Morgan.

Ever since he dubbed our bullpen "one of the best EVER", its been downhill so fast we all have nosebleeds. That was the Sunday game (June 29th) of the Cubs series at the Cell. Anyone have a way to figure our bullpen ERA since then?

I remember that day and that game. Many of my friends and family called me to ask if Joe Morgan was serious. We did have a great bullpen early in the season but as has been previously stated the Sox pitching has really been horrible as of late.

I don't have any stats to offer; from what I am reading on this thread, there is nobody to bring up from the minor leagues? Do we think Richard will make a start on his next scheduled day?

Lastly, I am hoping that Coop can work some of his magic on our pitching staff. If the problem is tired arms, I'm not sure what Coop can do.

Regardless, I will be watching and cheering on our boys. Go Sox!

turners56
08-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I remember that day and that game. Many of my friends and family called me to ask if Joe Morgan was serious. We did have a great bullpen early in the season but as has been previously stated the Sox pitching has really been horrible as of late.

I don't have any stats to offer; from what I am reading on this thread, there is nobody to bring up from the minor leagues? Do we think Richard will make a start on his next scheduled day?

Lastly, I am hoping that Coop can work some of his magic on our pitching staff. If the problem is tired arms, I'm not sure what Coop can do.

Regardless, I will be watching and cheering on our boys. Go Sox!

God, do I hate Joe Morgan...

Why is it that every year somebody (no matter who it is) says our bullpen is "great" and it just ****ing falls apart?

I don't know if it's coincidental or anything, but that was the last game Bobby pitched before he got injured. And that's when the domino effect started.

Jurr
08-04-2008, 11:52 AM
This team was 4-6 on the road trip. Nothing shocking there. They need to get some good rest at home, decompress, and kick some ass at home. A good long home stand is just what the doctor ordered. If they flounder on this homestand, sound the alarms and call the coroner.

thomas35forever
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Contreras may not be the ace he was for the first couple of months when he comes back, but he'll be a definite upgrade over Clayton Richard, who even if he comes back up in September, he's only a one-inning guy. Linebrink's return will be a big plus for us. We've seen Bobby since he got off the DL. He turned out fine. I'm pretty sure Linebrink will turn out the same way.

We're definitely a team that only goes as far as our pitching takes us. We'll make the playoffs if the staff somehow gets its **** back together fast.

Bob G
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
With the Tigers and the Red Sox coming into town - our pitching needs to turn it around fast and without Linebrink for about another 2 weeks. The Twins although they're on the road get to play a bad Seattle team and have Liriano back. We need to go at least 6-4 on this homestand.

Stoney was talking on the Score this morning about the possibility of using a 4 man rotation with an occasional spot start for a fifth starter if Jose struggles when he returns. The schedule does have a few off days where this might work in Aug.

JB98
08-04-2008, 06:41 PM
The pitching staff has been awful lately, but they were good for a far longer period of time prior to this bad stretch.

Yes, I do think they can turn it around.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm more worried about Floyd and Danks right now than anyone else. Buerhle and Javy can turn it around.