PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Cardinals...

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Are very respectful fans. So Taguchi PH for the Phils against the Cards. The fans give this guy a standing ovation.

chisoxmike
08-03-2008, 08:59 PM
They're the softest people on Earth. They're weird and a bit "too" nice.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I can't wait to get to their game against the Dodgers Tuesday night! It'll be great getting into baseball conversation with them. When they came to Comiskey two years ago, they were great, and I had great conversation with the ones sitting immediately nearby.

It'll also be great to get an opportunity to boo Manny! :tongue:

I want Mags back
08-03-2008, 09:39 PM
They're the softest people on Earth. They're weird and a bit "too" nice.
took 'em right out of mouth. thank you.
They also are just overly attached to their players, including when they leave. One of my roommates for next year is a Cards fan and cant get over losing Rolen, and just constantly over talks his love of him, and Pujois, and whoever the **** else they have.

RKMeibalane
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
They also are just overly attached to their players, including when they leave. One of my roommates for next year is a Cards fan and cant get over losing Rolen, and just constantly over talks his love of him, and Pujois, and whoever the **** else they have.

The multiple standing ovations given to So Taguchi is proof of Cardinal fans obsession with former members of their team. There's nothing wrong with continuing to like a player who has moved on to another team, but a standing ovation before each at-bat is too much.

chisoxmike
08-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Not even that. When the Sox played the Cardinals here in 2006 they seemed frightened that people were yelling and screaming at the game. They're just odd people.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Not even that. When the Sox played the Cardinals here in 2006 they seemed frightened that people were yelling and screaming at the game. They're just odd people.
You really think so? I didn't get any weird looks whenever I got up and cheered...Did you?

chisoxmike
08-03-2008, 09:47 PM
You really think so? I didn't get any weird looks whenever I got up and cheered...Did you?

I've heard they really don't get in the games at their park. Also, when they won the World Series a couple years ago, the fans didn't seem like it was a big deal. They seemed to be standing there clapping like a normal win.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I've heard they really don't get in the games at their park. Also, when they won the World Series a couple years ago, the fans didn't seem like it was a big deal. They seemed to be standing there clapping like a normal win.

I was there (in downtown St. Louis for a conference). I was outside the stadium when the clinching game ended, then joined the stampede into the stadium after all the gates were opened. That crowd was electric: loud, ecstatic and overjoyed.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I guess I'll find out Tuesday night; but, on TV, they look like they're into the games to me.

I appreciate how respectful they were when they came to our ballpark. There were a bunch of them in all areas of the ballpark, and I thought to myself "We're gonna have to deal with them trying to take over our stadium." But, they were extremely respectful! Props to that.

chaerulez
08-03-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't care for Cards fans either, they are odd and if you boo umpires (or just about anymore) at Busch they give you a dirty look and think you are weird.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't care for Cards fans either, they are odd and if you boo umpires (or just about anymore) at Busch they give you a dirty look and think you are weird.
Even opposing players???

kittle42
08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Cards fans are great, and they actually go to a stadium to watch baseball, unlike a huge portion of Chicago.

soxfanatlanta
08-04-2008, 07:18 AM
They also are just overly attached to their players, including when they leave.

Yeah, that never happens around here.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/players/06/13/questions0620/t1_rowand.jpg

"Ahem..."

doublem23
08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
All this Cardinal fan love is going to make me puke.

You need to hang out in Cardinals territory for more than a day to truly understand their true colors.

Here's a news flash for most of you that have some sort of misplaced, Cardinal affection via our mutual dislike of the Cubs: They hate us, too.

the1tab
08-04-2008, 08:47 AM
How close is St Louis to Branson, MO??

And what else is there to do if you're in St Louis in the summer? The Ozarks? They're goofy people that have the Mississippi and Budweiser as the only two reasons their city exists and they have a cult addiction to their baseball team. I appreciate their respect of the game and how polite they are... but if their fans ever got into someone's head perhaps they'd be better at home. For a city that loves their baseball so much you'd hope for their sake that their team could play better than 4 games over .500 @ home.

soxfanreggie
08-04-2008, 09:17 AM
My brother-in-law and his brother are both Cardinals fans. They are both knowledgable about the game and have a great deal of respect for the Sox. They enjoy going to and watching Sox games, and I watch and go to Cards games with them as long as the Sox aren't playing.

I think every fan base has its fans that would make us puke; however, out of all the baseball fans I have interacted with, I would put the Cards fans in the top tier.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Here's a news flash for most of you that have some sort of misplaced, Cardinal affection via our mutual dislike of the Cubs: They hate us, too.
Why's that, doub?

comet2k
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
My brother-in-law and his brother are both Cardinals fans. They are both knowledgable about the game and have a great deal of respect for the Sox. They enjoy going to and watching Sox games, and I watch and go to Cards games with them as long as the Sox aren't playing.

I think every fan base has its fans that would make us puke; however, out of all the baseball fans I have interacted with, I would put the Cards fans in the top tier.

I've felt that way about some Sox fans.

A friend from Downstate who's a Cards fan attended one of the Pirate games at USCF and was surprised by the rowdiness of our fans because they got on people wearing Pirates gear and sang "Na-na-na, hey-hey, goodbye" when their pitcher got knocked out. My question was, "They don't do that in St. Louis?" Apparently not.

When watching games on TV from St. Louis it looks and sounds like the crowd is pretty docile.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Why's that, doub?

St. Louis people have an inferiority complex when it comes to Chicago-related things.

PolishPower83
08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Been to many Cards games...the atmosphere is always a bit quiet. Not saying their fans aren't good, though, because most of my friends down here like the Cards. And they all know their stuff.

Foulke You
08-04-2008, 03:15 PM

You need to hang out in Cardinals territory for more than a day to truly understand their true colors.

Thank you Doub. You hit the nail on the head here. A lot of Cards fans don't care for us and lump us in with the Cubs fans or hate us merely because we are Chicago. I went to Busch for the Sox/Cards interleague series in '97 and was treated the worst at that park than any other road park I've been to while wearing my Sox gear. (That includes Fenway Park, PNC Park, Miller Park, Wrigley, and the Metrodome) I had peanuts and beer cups thrown at me everytime I went to the bathroom or to the concessions and was the subject of constant heckling. My Uncle and I weren't doing anything out of the ordinary other than watching the ballgame while wearing White Sox shirts. The Cards were even taking it to us that game too and the abuse didn't stop all game long. We ended up leaving in the 8th inning. Now, it WAS just one game and it was 10 years ago but it didn't leave a solid impression of Cards fans in my mind. I also remember talking to some of their fans about the Sox/Cubs rivalry at a local restaurant and they had no knowledge whatsoever of it. They assumed everyone in Chicago rooted for both teams. :?:

PolishPower83
08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I went to Busch for the Sox/Cards interleague series in '97 and was treated the worst at that park than any other road park I've been to while wearing my Sox gear.

Damn! Must of been some pissed off fans or something because I've worn my Sox shirts to plenty of games at Busch with no problems -- and that included the first interleague matchup between the two. It's understandable those ****ty fans ruined your perception of Busch, but I would hope it was an isolated incident...it's usually a pretty nice place to enjoy a game.

chisoxmike
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I have heard from many people that Cardinals fans hate Sox fans just as much as Cubs fans.

Like I said, they're soft. I could do without them.

nut_stock
08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Living 15 minutes away from Busch Stadium on the Illinois side of the river I thought I'd chime in...for some reason I've noticed that Cardinals fans in Missouri are more likely to dislike the White Sox than the Cardinals fans living in the Metro East... I think there are more Missourians with Chicago hate.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I have heard from many people that Cardinals fans hate Sox fans just as much as Cubs fans.

They definitely do. Down here in Central Illinois, it's all Cub and Card fans and they hate both 1) the American League and 2) everything about the City of Chicago.

Guess who's on their **** list?

kjhanson
08-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I actually just got back from St. Louis yesterday. Went to the game on Saturday, and was surprised by the quiet nature of their fans. I was also a bit surprised by the participation in the wave that went around in the 5th or 6th innings. I would say that 80% of the fans participated in the wave, and many clapped and cheered as it became quite impressive. During the ordeal, the Cardinals pitcher struck out a Phillies batter looking. A few people started cheering and then everyone caught on. I turned to my girlfriend and told her how 50% of the people there don't even know what they're cheering for; they were overwhelmingly distracted by the wave. As it is, that town is painted red. They really do like their baseball team and their apparel selections prove it.

kittle42
08-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Just interested...how are they "soft?"

chisoxmike
08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Just interested...how are they "soft?"

Sit on their hands during the game, don't get very vocal at the games, and I understand the wave is staple at the stadium. (Yes, I call Sox fans that do the wave soft too.) That all leads up to "soft" in my book.

I like a vocal, rowdy crowd. I like people on their feet, heckling the other team and friendly heckling of other teams fans. I want a atmosphere at the stadium, a attitude if you will. I get the impression Cardinals fans are quite the opposite of that from my experience.

I wouldn't call Sox fans soft, but the experience at Sox Park the past two years is getting there.

Jimmy Piersall
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Sit on their hands during the game, don't get very vocal at the games, and I understand the wave is staple at the stadium. (Yes, I call Sox fans that do the wave soft too.) That all leads up to "soft" in my book.

I like a vocal, rowdy crowd. I like people on their feet, heckling the other team and friendly heckling of other teams fans. I want a atmosphere at the stadium, a attitude if you will. I get the impression Cardinals fans are quite the opposite of that from my experience.

I wouldn't call Sox fans soft, but the experience at Sox Park the past two years is getting there.

Nothing like Old Comiskey huh ?

kittle42
08-04-2008, 04:51 PM

There's something to be said for both types of crowds. In my opinion, the ideal is a crowd somewhere in-between. The rowdy crowd attracts too many idiots, and unfortunately the "attitude" is usually one of "I'll buch you in the ****ing face." On the other hand, the quiet crowd makes the game a bit less interesting.

Generally, at the Cell, I think you can tell what days you are more likely to get the former than the latter.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
They definitely do. Down here in Central Illinois, it's all Cub and Card fans and they hate both 1) the American League and 2) everything about the City of Chicago.

Guess who's on their **** list?
So, are they gonna give me **** for wearing a Sox hat to the game tomorrow night? I'm intending to get an Albert Pujols t-shirt anyways beforehand when I take the stadium tour. Also, will they get on me if I choose to boo Manny Ramirez?

chisoxmike
08-04-2008, 04:56 PM
There's something to be said for both types of crowds. In my opinion, the ideal is a crowd somewhere in-between. The rowdy crowd attracts too many idiots, and unfortunately the "attitude" is usually one of "I'll buch you in the ****ing face." On the other hand, the quiet crowd makes the game a bit less interesting.

Generally, at the Cell, I think you can tell what days you are more likely to get the former than the latter.

Very true. Half price Monday...

A little bit of both is ideal. Sox Park can be hit or miss. Sometimes its a bit too out of control, and sometimes is just plain lame.

I'm hoping a race to a division title spices things up the final two months. Obviously, you can't have a "playoff" atomsphere for all 81 home games.

The wave has got to go, though.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
The wave has got to go, though.
I wish Gene would remind fans before each game to refrain from doing the wave.

Tragg
08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
The Cardinals were the southern team until the late 50s and early 60s (until the Braves moved to Atlanta and then the Astros). There are still a ton of cardinal fans down south - the younger generation picking it up from the older. Upper Mississippi and Arkansas - still prime Cardinal country.

kittle42
08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
So, are they gonna give me **** for wearing a Sox hat to the game tomorrow night? I'm intending to get an Albert Pujols t-shirt anyways beforehand when I take the stadium tour. Also, will they get on me if I choose to boo Manny Ramirez?

I wore a Sox jersey and hat earlier this season and didn't hear anything except cheers from a few other Sox fans in attendance.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
I wore a Sox jersey and hat earlier this season and didn't hear anything except cheers from a few other Sox fans in attendance.

I don't know, obviously that mostly depends on the people in your area, but I also think the folks that show up day in and day out to Cardinal games are not entirely representative of an entire section of the hillbilly, Chicago-phobic Cardinal fans.

EuroSox35
08-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Isringhausen got booed off the field tonight. (btw, to Chisoxfanatic, Manny has been booed all game). Man does Isringhausen blow. I have this game on MLB.tv in the background of the Sox game. 4 run lead in the 9th, gone. Bases loaded, less than 2 outs, someone hits this little squibber that looks like it has a great chance of going foul, so Isring takes all his momentum the other way to stop it fair, and then he bobbles it, everyone is safe. I couldn't believe that, it would've been a bang bang play anyways.

I don't know if it's the broadcast, but I do get the weird sense from the crowd, there are cheers and boos, but overall they all sound subdued.

EuroSox35
08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
LOL, just did a quick glance back at this game, just saw Garcia, Cardinals reliever, spit right on his hand before a pitch. Not just that though, he has the shiniest damn arms I've ever seen. I love this game

Nice, the broadcasters just commented on it, "working up quite a sweat isn't he. He sure is. His forearms are glistening!"

chisoxfanatic
08-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Isringhausen got booed off the field tonight. (btw, to Chisoxfanatic, Manny has been booed all game). Man does Isringhausen blow. I have this game on MLB.tv in the background of the Sox game. 4 run lead in the 9th, gone. Bases loaded, less than 2 outs, someone hits this little squibber that looks like it has a great chance of going foul, so Isring takes all his momentum the other way to stop it fair, and then he bobbles it, everyone is safe. I couldn't believe that, it would've been a bang bang play anyways.

I don't know if it's the broadcast, but I do get the weird sense from the crowd, there are cheers and boos, but overall they all sound subdued.

I sure wasn't one of the ones booing; but, I sure did boo Manny every single time he came to bat. One woman gave me a dirty look and yelled "Will you stop it!" the first time and asked "What did Manny do to the Cardinals?" the second time. I disregarded her.

There were 2 Cubs fans during the second rain delay who took off their Soriano and Fukodome jerseys and flashed them to everyone around us, which prompted about 5 minutes of "1908!" chants. I actually saw quite a few dressed in Cubs apparel.

I really enjoyed the game (walk-off winner by Ludwick). I'll post more when I get home and upload some of my photos (as well as some Safeco photos from last month).

Ziggy S
08-06-2008, 03:21 AM

If he does that, how will :gene: have time to give discounts for scalped tickets? :redneck: Oh, wait a minute that Gene, not gene.

seventyseven
08-06-2008, 08:36 AM
As a Chicagoan and Sox fan who spent 3 years in St. Louis during law school, and who went to many Cardinals games during my time there, I can say that while Cardinals fans may be a different breed than us, they are among the most knowledgeable, passionate, and respectful fans in the game. They applaud good plays on both teams, and rarely boo their own players. The "quiet" atmosphere at games can be attributed mostly to the fact that the fans are actually paying attention to what's happening on the field. They applaud former players because its important to them to show appreciation for their time as a Cardinal. Many players continue to live in St. Louis after their playing days for that reason.

To be sure, many St. Louis residents have an inferiority complex about Chicago. They see Chicago as loud, busy, crowded, and rude. (Kind of the way Chicagoans view NYC).

But as a baseball town, St. Louis is second to none.

kraut83
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
There were 2 Cubs fans during the second rain delay who took off their Soriano and Fukodome jerseys and flashed them to everyone around us, which prompted about 5 minutes of "1908!" chants. I actually saw quite a few dressed in Cubs apparel.

I really don't get these people. At nearly every MLB game I go to, there is some nozzle in full cub gear. I was at 2 of the Tigers/Sox game in the D a couple weeks ago, and I saw saw at least 1 at each game. I was at a Tigers/Twins game a few weeks earlier and I saw some then as well.

What gives?:dunno:

Gammons Peter
08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
They are a bunch of weepy, teddy bear carrying, shrine building, dead player loving idiots.

soxpride724
08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I really don't get these people. At nearly every MLB game I go to, there is some nozzle in full cub gear. I was at 2 of the Tigers/Sox game in the D a couple weeks ago, and I saw saw at least 1 at each game. I was at a Tigers/Twins game a few weeks earlier and I saw some then as well.

What gives?:dunno:

I don't get it either. Every game I go to I observe the same thing. It is acceptable to wear a cap or a shirt of your favorite team if they are not playing, but to get all decked out in full fan gear is a little silly.

hi im skot
08-06-2008, 10:21 AM

I hate the wave, but telling fans not to have fun is ridiculous.

"Chairman Mao proudly presents your 2008 Chicago White Sox!"

LongLiveFisk
08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't get it either. Every game I go to I observe the same thing. It is acceptable to wear a cap or a shirt of your favorite team if they are not playing, but to get all decked out in full fan gear is a little silly.

Cub fans in general tend to be strange (my personal observation) but these types are bordering on the psychotic. I really think they need professional help. :kukoo:

chisoxfanatic
08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh, I thought all of you might be interested in hearing this little story from right before the game last night. So, I was going up the escalator to get to my section, when all of a sudden, someone with a Twins shirt was right next to me. I wore a Sox hat and earrings with an Albert Pujols t-shirt. He asked me if I was a Sox fan, and I said, "Yea, they're my favorite team!" I didn't expect to hear the following from him:

"You guys are going to beat us to win the division. We're too young and inexperienced."

All I did was reply, "Agreed!"

RadioheadRocks
08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I hate the wave, but telling fans not to have fun is ridiculous.

"Chairman Mao proudly presents your 2008 Chicago White Sox!"

I just say "1987 called, they want their wave back" and leave it at that.

pierzynski07
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Quite frankly, why do you give a ****?

Showing that you're a fanatic of a baseball team at a baseball game? The nerve.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 09:17 AM

It's silly to wear a jersey and cap of a team who isn't even at the ballpark.

It's kind of like wearing a t-shirt of a band you're seeing in concert...it's just dorky.

Cangelosi CF
08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
When I read Cardinals fans penning odes to Darryl Kile and Josh Hancock, no thanks.

Save McCuddy's
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM

It's kind of like wearing a t-shirt of a band you're seeing in concert...it's just dorky.

In St. Louis, provided that you wear a white oxford underneath, a road McGwire jersey is acceptable interview attire.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 10:55 AM

This debate will never end. Neither side will agree with the other, and neither side is right. It's just a matter of preference.

I will always wear Sox stuff to any baseball game I attend. I just don't see why not. I understand if other people think it's lame. They can wear whatever they want.

chaerulez
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

I never got that either, people here who adopt the Cards as their NL team. **** the Cardinals. I hate the Cardinals. St. Louis people having an inferiority complex over Chicago is right on. They are just sad we have a much better city. When they won the World Series I was annoyed as I've had to deal with dochue bag Cardinals fans.

chaerulez
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I sure wasn't one of the ones booing; but, I sure did boo Manny every single time he came to bat. One woman gave me a dirty look and yelled "Will you stop it!" the first time and asked "What did Manny do to the Cardinals?" the second time. I disregarded her.

I really enjoyed the game (walk-off winner by Ludwick). I'll post more when I get home and upload some of my photos (as well as some Safeco photos from last month).

That's why I hate Cardinals fans. Would you ever hear someone at the Cell yell at someone for booing an opposing player like that? St. Louis people are lucky Philly is far away from them. Morons.

TommyJohn
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I never got that either, people here who adopt the Cards as their NL team. **** the Cardinals. I hate the Cardinals. St. Louis people having an inferiority complex over Chicago is right on. They are just sad we have a much better city. When they won the World Series I was annoyed as I've had to deal with dochue bag Cardinals fans.

Yes! Thank you! I never did like the Cardinals either. So they're the Cubs' big rival. Eh, so what. First of all, their manager is, and always will be, a first class ass. Second, I never did forgive them for what they did to Don Denkinger's family after Game 6 in 1985. Talk about ****ty. I wasn't happy that they won the series in 2006. I really don't know if I even have a favorite NL team.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
This debate will never end. Neither side will agree with the other, and neither side is right. It's just a matter of preference.

I will always wear Sox stuff to any baseball game I attend. I just don't see why not. I understand if other people think it's lame. They can wear whatever they want.

At least it's Sox gear you're wearing. :cool:

seventyseven
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
That's why I hate Cardinals fans. Would you ever hear someone at the Cell yell at someone for booing an opposing player like that? St. Louis people are lucky Philly is far away from them. Morons.

Cardinals fans don't like booing, unless its deserved. Perhaps you are confusing being "respectful" with something else. Either way, every fanbase is different, and its naive to think that what's "acceptable" at one ballpark is "acceptable" at every other.

Yes! Thank you! I never did like the Cardinals either. So they're the Cubs' big rival. Eh, so what. First of all, their manager is, and always will be, a first class ass. Second, I never did forgive them for what they did to Don Denkinger's family after Game 6 in 1985. Talk about ****ty. I wasn't happy that they won the series in 2006. I really don't know if I even have a favorite NL team.

So, because a few random nutjobs sent Denkinger some awful letters, you dislike "them," as in all Cardinal fans? I seem to remember a few unbecoming events at USCF in the past 10 years -- should people dislike Sox fans because of it?

Bottom line, you cannot take isolated events, good or bad, and draw conclusions toward an entire fan base.

chaerulez
08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Cardinals fans don't like booing, unless its deserved. Perhaps you are confusing being "respectful" with something else. Either way, every fanbase is different, and its naive to think that what's "acceptable" at one ballpark is "acceptable" at every other.

What the hell is wrong with booing Manny Ramirez when he comes in as an opposing player? Especially a guy like Manny, who a lot of people around the league don't like. I actually like him, I think he's funny, but I would never yell at someone in the Cell for booing him when he comes in playing for the other team. It has nothing to do with respect this isn't tennis or golf. This is Major League Baseball, I'm not talking about lets drink 10 beers and get wasted and act like *******s. It's ****ing booing someone when they come to bat.

seventyseven
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
What the hell is wrong with booing Manny Ramirez when he comes in as an opposing player? Especially a guy like Manny, who a lot of people around the league don't like. I actually like him, I think he's funny, but I would never yell at someone in the Cell for booing him when he comes in playing for the other team. It has nothing to do with respect this isn't tennis or golf. This is Major League Baseball, I'm not talking about lets drink 10 beers and get wasted and act like *******s. It's ****ing booing someone when they come to bat.

And what I'm trying to tell you is that every ballpark has a different culture. In St. Louis, they generally don't boo players -- whether on their own team or the opponent -- unless they feel they've done something to deserve it. So while its normal in some places around the league to boo someone just because they're good/notorious/annoying/etc., its not generally done in St. Louis.

asindc
08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
And what I'm trying to tell you is that every ballpark has a different culture. In St. Louis, they generally don't boo players -- whether on their own team or the opponent -- unless they feel they've done something to deserve it. So while its normal in some places around the league to boo someone just because they're good/notorious/annoying/etc., its not generally done in St. Louis.

While I generally applaud the no booing approach you describe, do St. Louis fans really think Manny, who admittedly quit on his previous team and faked injuries to avoid playing, does not deserve booing? I'm not being facetious here, I really would like to know. What would it take to get the typical St. Louis fan to boo someone, if quitting on his team would not do it?

For the record, I don't boo anyone. I generally yell something non-vulgar but uncomplimentary in their general direction if I get worked up enough, which is rare.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Booing a player really puts him in his place.

doublem23
08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank god they don't chant his name.

http://reverendredbird.mlblogs.com/reverend_redbird/images/daryl_simpsons.jpg

kittle42
08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Booing a player really puts him in his place.

Yes. In fact, it once brought a tear to Darryl Strawberry's eye when he was manning RF for Mr. Burns' team!

Edit: I cannot believe just seconds before I wrote this I was beaten to the punch!

seventyseven
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
While I generally applaud the no booing approach you describe, do St. Louis fans really think Manny, who admittedly quit on his previous team and faked injuries to avoid playing, does not deserve booing? I'm not being facetious here, I really would like to know. What would it take to get the typical St. Louis fan to boo someone, if quitting on his team would not do it?

For the record, I don't boo anyone. I generally yell something non-vulgar but uncomplimentary in their general direction if I get worked up enough, which is rare.

I think that St. Louis fans follow the NL much more closely than the AL, and likely do not appreciate the tumultuous (and sometimes suspect) history Manny has had with the Red Sox. This is also the first time Manny has ever played in the NL, and many people find his demeanor lighthearted and refreshing, and overall good for the game.

Smokey Burg
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
You did not see the real cardinal fans. The feeling in St. Louis is the season is over. Its almost the middle of August, the birds are 5-1/2 games back, their only hope is a Cub collapse. A Cub collapse is not only very possible, but quite likely IMHO, however fans and the print media in St. Louis seem to be ignoring that possibility. I lived in south central Missouri for two years in the mid 80's. When the birds are in 1st place, everyone is a Cardinal fan and St. Louis is the center of the baseball world. On the other hand, the minute they fall behind, they are forgotten.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
You did not see the real cardinal fans. The feeling in St. Louis is the season is over. Its almost the middle of August, the birds are 5-1/2 games back, their only hope is a Cub collapse. A Cub collapse is not only very possible, but quite likely IMHO, however fans and the print media in St. Louis seem to be ignoring that possibility. I lived in south central Missouri for two years in the mid 80's. When the birds are in 1st place, everyone is a Cardinal fan and St. Louis is the center of the baseball world. On the other hand, the minute they fall behind, they are forgotten.

Are they still living in the pre-wild card era?

jdm2662
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Um, they are a half game out of the wild card. How the hell is the season over? This isn't 1993....

TommyJohn
08-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Are they still living in the pre-wild card era?

Good one.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Just to assure myself, I cut and pasted this to my friend who has lived in St. Louis for the last 5 years and, while a Brewers fan, is a Cardinals season ticket holder. His response?

"Um, no...the Cardinals are the entire sports scene in St. Louis right now."

LongLiveFisk
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM

I think a distinction must be made here. I can't speak for anyone else but I was talking specifically about people wearing an entire baseball uniform (complete with baseball pants, cleats, etc). To me, this just looks like they're showing up in their Halloween costume. And yes, they have a right to do it but I have a right to think they look silly for doing it.

Just wearing a Sox shirt and/or cap to a game they're aren't playing in isn't such a big deal, although I don't think I'd do that either.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I think a distinction must be made here. I can't speak for anyone else but I was talking specifically about people wearing an entire baseball uniform (complete with baseball pants, cleats, etc). To me, this just looks like they're showing up in their Halloween costume. And yes, they have a right to do it but I have a right to think they look silly for doing it.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone do that other than kids wearing little league uniforms and Ronnie Wickers.

I have been known to wear both a hat and jersey, though.

chaerulez
08-07-2008, 03:27 PM

I understand that it's a different culture, that's why I'm saying I don't like Cardinals fans.

seventyseven
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I understand that it's a different culture, that's why I'm saying I don't like Cardinals fans.

Ok then. Go Sox. :D:

WSox597
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I must have been lucky. I worked on jobs in two consecutive years just outside St. Louis.

When the guys heard I was from Chicago, or at least the area, they asked me if I was a Cub fan.

I explained to them that I would root for the Cardinals before the Cubs. They loved that, and it was sunshine and happiness. No problems at all.

They never said a bad word about the Sox or the AL. In fact a couple of them said nice things about some of the Sox players. This was in 2004, and 2005, in the spring both years.

Maybe the LaRussa connection, I don't know.

Maybe it would be different after the 20 runs the Sox scored a while back.

Jim Shorts
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I must have been lucky. I worked on jobs in two consecutive years just outside St. Louis.

When the guys heard I was from Chicago, or at least the area, they asked me if I was a Cub fan.

I explained to them that I would root for the Cardinals before the Cubs. They loved that, and it was sunshine and happiness. No problems at all.

They never said a bad word about the Sox or the AL. In fact a couple of them said nice things about some of the Sox players. This was in 2004, and 2005, in the spring both years.

Maybe the LaRussa connection, I don't know.

Maybe it would be different after the 20 runs the Sox scored a while back.

Quite honestly, St. Louis' reputation as baseball fans is well deserved. They get it.

LongLiveFisk
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't think I have ever seen anyone do that other than kids wearing little league uniforms and Ronnie Wickers.

I have been known to wear both a hat and jersey, though.

There was a grown man at the Cell about 4 years ago sitting right in front of me in full Indians gear, and while the Sox were playing the Twins. He would have looked like a moron even if the Sox were playing the Indians, so multiply how dumb he looked by about a thousand and you'll get the picture.

And of couse, little kids dressed that way is cute and definitely understandable. We won't even get into the psychological case study that is Ronnie Woo-Woo. :?:

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't know about that...Everyone I talked with knew what CUBS is an acronym for (Completely Useless By September). They didn't seem very worried.
The bartender at the place I ate at before the game (Caleco's--great spot) saw me with a Sox hat and earrings along with an Albert Pujols t-shirt and asked me "Sox AND Cardinals stuff? Is that ok?" I then explained and she "got it."

NO fan I talked with had any beef with us. In fact, most of them even mentioned liking us. The family of four who sat next to me live in St. Charles, saw my Sox hat and earrings, and asked me about Mark Buehrle. Throughout the game and both rain delays, we were engaged in a lot of baseball discussion (mainly about the Cardinals, but they were interested in our Sox as well).

Smokey Burg
08-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, a lot of cardinal love on this board. Casually glancing some of the on line St. Louis Media sites (Post-Dispatch in particular) and some of the bird fan sites, it appears to me that the general consensus is that the Cards have to start playing better baseball to make it to the post season. They are only 1 game over .500 since the All-Star break, albeit the Cubs are 3 over and the Brewers are 4 over. Neither of these teams are burning down the barn, but the Cards have to play better ball or their only hope is a Cubs and/or Brewers collapse. The birds were in a similar situation last year, but they folded the tent during September and the Cubs won the division. If they don't pick it up, is there any reason to expect a different result this year? However, if they do pick it up, then just about every one in St. Louis becomes a cardinal fan and we' ll have to put up with post seasonn talk about how Stan Musial was the first really great baseball player and that he mystically passed on his skills to Albert Pujols, how Whitey Herzog was the first manager who really understood baseball and how he was able to indoctrinate Tony LaRussa with such knowledge etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

This is the start of the second week in August. Of course, the Cardinals are the center of the sporting world in St. Louis. Besides comparing sweat stains on shirts and competitive nose-picking, there is nothing else going on in St. Louis. In the backwoods of Missouri one could do things like frog-gigging and catfishing, but most of those guys are either Braves or Royals fans and couldn't give a crap about the birds.