PDA

View Full Version : Is this team hungry enough?

HBaines03
08-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I have posted a few times but generally enjoy reading the items at hand, but today a little frustration prompts me to as this question. I don't get the feeling from this team that they have the hunger to go get the division title. When I would like to see this team step up and get a big win they struggle or lose. They have been fortunate that the Twins and Tigers have been fairly similar to themselves allowing us to lead for a period of time. Today's game just didn't give me the feeling of cohesiveness and hunger that I would have like to see. I'm not asking for all out fighting or beaning of guys, just more animation to wanting to win and getting a little upset, more fire! I love this team no different from any other non-playoff team or contending team I have ever followed since the mid 70's and yes I think they can win this division. I just think that it is going to take prompting from the coaching staff and not necessarily on their own, frustrating..........

JB98
08-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Yes, they are hungry enough. The Sox have shown a lot of resiliency this season. If you want to see a team that lacked "fire" and "hunger," step back in time a season and watch the 2007 squad.

hi im skot
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Depends who the clubhouse caterer is.

SOXfnNlansing
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I have to agree to a certain degree. For instance, in that game we blew at minny, why didn't Danks plant the 1st pitch after the 'delay' in that rookie's back? I just knew that danks would have caved to the pressure and walked him. That opened the can of worms.

Baseball is about fear and unity, and swagger. I know the Sox are a good team, but sometimes they don't do the right 'baseball' things you need to do.

*disclaimer: not promoting beaning or intentionally hitting players. :gulp:

rocky biddle
08-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Alexei looks hungry. Actually, he looks like he's ****ing starving.

Domeshot17
08-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Earlier I questioned Logan's heart when he came in after the brawl and threw a cookie down the middle. I don't know if it was the right way to put it, because I think it does bother these guys. We don't lack heart, but we do lack the want to be great. We seem to get very content at times. We lack the killer instinct we had in 2005 to finish the job. We should have buried the Tigers early in the year, and we haven't. We couldn't get up for a monster Series in Minnesota that hurt us big time. Our pitching especially looks like it is going through the motions. We have lost 2 series in a row to the Royals, its been brutal.

I think this team just doesn't get up for games. It is too laid back. There is no intensity the last week. Basically since the 2 come backs vs the Tigers. The talent is there, but mentally this team is a mess. The guy who looks like he has lost that edge big time is Burls. He threw a gem in a very emotional game on short rest when his Grandpa died, but the last 2 games its like, here it is, just crush it. I am hoping, big time, that Griffey can change this complacency we have.

Adele_H
08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Baseball is about fear and unity, and swagger.

.:hawk
That is B.S. Are you nuts?!
It's not about what Yaz do; it's about when Yaz do it.

QCIASOXFAN
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
:rolling:

pczarapa
08-03-2008, 09:50 PM

:D:

thomas35forever
08-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Maybe they weren't hungry today, but in a lot of games this season, they haven't given up easily and that includes some losses. Take yesterday's game for example. Down 8-3, they cut the deficit to 8-7 and were a Uribe hit away from tying it. If there's been anything to describe the good of the 2008 White Sox, it's that they don't quit on most nights even when the going gets tough.

Law11
08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I think BA is the hungriest of all. He'll eat the food right off your feet..

michned
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I think the ****ty pitching is clouding the fact that this team doesn't quit.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Depends who the clubhouse caterer is.

This post made my day....

As far as the fire in the belly of the Sox...I think they have it...they jsut are not at all doing the right things to express that fire...aka Clayton screwing up an EASY throw to home yesterday....

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Bingo

Jollyroger2
08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
For most of the first half, I'd say yes they were definitely hungry. They seemed to have a good chip on their shoulder right from the start. Hearing for months about how Cleveland and Detroit would walk away with the division I'm sure put some fire into them.

But now, I'm not so sure. For the pitching across the board to suddenly go in the tank makes no sense. It's not dead arms, it's not lack of skill or talent. Yes there have been injuries but for almost everyone to be getting hammered on a nightly basis, after being so dominant, really is confusing. Did their mental attitude just check out?

The hitters too are confusing. Sometimes they look great but this recent road trip, specifically the Minnesota and KC games, really shows either a complete lack of effort meltdown or complete intimidation. The Minnesota series the Sox looked either bored and/or scared. Guys lollygagging while running bases...big leads blown. And there is no excuse for a team like Kansas City to be scoring close to 50 runs on us in their last few matchups. None. Friday night was a nice solid game but the two weekend games were a complete embarrassment. I know KC isn't the 54-102 type team of a few years ago, but they're still below .500 and they have no business beating us like rented horses.

The Sox have got to get their heads on straight and fast, otherwise this division race will be over before anyone realizes it. Whether it's lack of hunger, fire, etc they need to figure that out asap.

Jurr
08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
For most of the first half, I'd say yes they were definitely hungry. They seemed to have a good chip on their shoulder right from the start. Hearing for months about how Cleveland and Detroit would walk away with the division I'm sure put some fire into them.

But now, I'm not so sure. For the pitching across the board to suddenly go in the tank makes no sense. It's not dead arms, it's not lack of skill or talent. Yes there have been injuries but for almost everyone to be getting hammered on a nightly basis, after being so dominant, really is confusing. Did their mental attitude just check out?

The hitters too are confusing. Sometimes they look great but this recent road trip, specifically the Minnesota and KC games, really shows either a complete lack of effort meltdown or complete intimidation. The Minnesota series the Sox looked either bored and/or scared. Guys lollygagging while running bases...big leads blown. And there is no excuse for a team like Kansas City to be scoring close to 50 runs on us in their last few matchups. None. Friday night was a nice solid game but the two weekend games were a complete embarrassment. I know KC isn't the 54-102 type team of a few years ago, but they're still below .500 and they have no business beating us like rented horses.

The Sox have got to get their heads on straight and fast, otherwise this division race will be over before anyone realizes it. Whether it's lack of hunger, fire, etc they need to figure that out asap.
As we've said 1000 times, hunger and fire doesn't make you pitch and hit. Baseball is a skill game, and confidence in what you are doing is far superior to any athletic "fire". In baseball you are penalized for trying to do too much. It makes you jumpy. It makes you overswing or overthrow. This team needs to calm down and believe in its talent. The moment a team starts trying to win the game on every pitch or AB, you see big innings from the opposition and a bunch of harmless popouts from our guys.

When you read press clippings from Crede about his late inning heroics, he always talks about being calm and having a good plan at the plate. He's never saying "I was fired up and aching to win the game." Intensity is huge on the basepaths and in the field. It is a huge part of playing defense in basketball or getting under that deep ball and fighting to bring it down in football. It's a recipe for disaster in baseball. This team needs to regain its confidence. The pitchers need to believe in their stuff and quit walking hitters. Sox hitters need to believe in their talent and hit the damn ball. Period.

Jollyroger2
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
As we've said 1000 times, hunger and fire doesn't make you pitch and hit. Baseball is a skill game, and confidence in what you are doing is far superior to any athletic "fire". In baseball you are penalized for trying to do too much. It makes you jumpy. It makes you overswing or overthrow. This team needs to calm down and believe in its talent. The moment a team starts trying to win the game on every pitch or AB, you see big innings from the opposition and a bunch of harmless popouts from our guys.

When you read press clippings from Crede about his late inning heroics, he always talks about being calm and having a good plan at the plate. He's never saying "I was fired up and aching to win the game." Intensity is huge on the basepaths and in the field. It is a huge part of playing defense in basketball or getting under that deep ball and fighting to bring it down in football. It's a recipe for disaster in baseball. This team needs to regain its confidence. The pitchers need to believe in their stuff and quit walking hitters. Sox hitters need to believe in their talent and hit the damn ball. Period.

Then if the problem is confidence, that's also something they need to shake off asap. This is a team that despite some weaknesses, has been in first place for most of the year. They should not be having any issues with confidence in August. Especially the pitchers who have been very good for a long time.

Jim Shorts
08-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Maybe this question is better posed by "is the pitching staff and bullpen hungry enough?"

They're the one layin the eggs.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-04-2008, 02:05 PM

I agree - but the pitching did carry the team when the hitting was bad. Problem is, it's not just the bullpen anymore...the SP has been bad to horrendous the last 5 games.

Rockin Robin
08-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Juan Uribe scoffs at you questioning his hunger.

Tragg
08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Hunger isn't the problem this year and it wasn't the problem last year.
PItching depth is the problem this year and pitching and hitting were the problems last year.

PhillipsBubba
08-04-2008, 04:39 PM
My question is:

Are they talented enough?:scratch:

The pitching staff is in a shambles and the defense is porous.

Not a good combination.