PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tired of Ozzie?

1908<2005
08-03-2008, 06:51 PM
He is ridiculous and classless. It can't get any more obvious that he ordered DJ to throw at Olivo. He needs to spread an attitude of winning throughout the clubhouse.

sox1970
08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
:threadblows:

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I bet he gets suspended, looked like he bumped the ump pretty good...

Gavin
08-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Meh, I'm not tired of him but today's histrionics were pretty stupid. We were in the right on paper, no need to make us look like the bad guys.

oeo
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Meh, I'm not tired of him but today's histrionics were pretty stupid. We were in the right on paper, no need to make us look like the bad guys.

He was upset because our bullpen is running on fumes, and Carrasco could have gone at least 2 innings, if not more. It was a bull**** call to eject Carrasco, so he had every right to go off.

Rockabilly
08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
He is ridiculous and classless. It can't get any more obvious that he ordered DJ to throw at Olivo. He needs to spread an attitude of winning throughout the clubhouse.

this thread sucks.. Ozzie is an awesome Mgr..

Name one Sox Mgr that has been better than Ozzie

oeo
08-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Timberwolf: Terry Bevington was the best manager the White Sux have ever had.

FedEx227
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
He was upset because our bullpen is running on fumes, and Carrasco could have gone at least 2 innings, if not more. It was a bull**** call to eject Carrasco, so he had every right to go off.

If you go up and in twice and nearly hit someone, especially a someone that has killed you all weekend including earlier in the game, the ump has every right to toss you. I absolutely don't believe what DJ did was an accident.

If that same thing happens to AJ, Jimmy Gobble comes up and throws two up-and-in around his head we're up in arms, calling for Gobble's suspension.

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
1st of all DJ was pitching inside. To be successful you gotta pitch inside.
2nd lets say Ozzie did call for the pitch who gives a ****? Its been part of baseball for ever.

Gavin
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM

I'm not arguing that the call was a hair short of complete bull****. I will argue that it does no good for a team that's floundering to have its manager go ape****.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 07:04 PM
2nd lets say Ozzie did call for the pitch who gives a ****? Its been part of baseball for ever.
If he called for it, then he shouldn't have been bitching about Carrasco getting ejected. It's not the first time Olivo has been hit by a White Sox pitcher this year...

oeo
08-03-2008, 07:04 PM
If you go up and in twice and nearly hit someone, especially a someone that has killed you all weekend including earlier in the game, the ump has every right to toss you. I absolutely don't believe what DJ did was an accident.

To each their own then. And if you're right, then Carrasco should be cut right now. Burning our bullpen even more does not help a thing.

Just the way he reacted after Olivo came after him, did not seem like that was his intent. If you're throwing at someone, you're ready for them to charge...Carrasco looked surprised.

Daver
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Pants Rowland.

chisoxmike
08-03-2008, 07:07 PM
:threadsucks:

:threadblows:

:rowand

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Why would you purposely hit a batter with the bases loaded? Ozzie did not want Carrasco to hit Olivo.

mcfish
08-03-2008, 07:11 PM

If that same thing happens to AJ, Jimmy Gobble comes up and throws two up-and-in around his head we're up in arms, calling for Gobble's suspension.Completely agree. Especially with the bases loaded he had no business throwing the pitches he threw. The ump was completely right to throw DJ out of the game.

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Ozzie will always get a pass from KW and JR because of 05 but he should never be confused with managers like Al Lopez and Walter Alston who I consider the best since Ive been following baseball. Still I cant blame him for the poor showing as of late. Its the pitching thats killing us.

sox1970
08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Completely agree. Especially with the bases loaded he had no business throwing the pitches he threw. The ump was completely right to throw DJ out of the game.

Except the ump apologized to Ozzie after the game, and admitted he was wrong for ejecting Carrasco.

mcfish
08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Why would you purposely hit a batter with the bases loaded? Ozzie did not want Carrasco to hit Olivo.I'm not saying Ozzie ordered it or anything, but how else do you explain the pitch selection in that AB? They were clearly throwing at him or at least trying to knock him on his ass.

mcfish
08-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Except the ump apologized to Ozzie after the game, and admitted he was wrong for ejecting Carrasco.He shouldn't have. The ump has every right to throw out a pitcher for throwing at a guy on purpose, warning or not. I don't see how one could say that DJ wasn't throwing at Olivo, given the 3 pitches that were thrown.

alohafri
08-03-2008, 07:22 PM

I agree. I almost think there is too much protecting of the primadonna hitters of today. Koufax, Drysdale, and Gibson would probably be kicked out of every game in which they pitched if they pitched today.

Back to the original intent of the post, I think players like to know that their manager has their back. It's not like Ozzie is out there every close play arguing.

CHISOXFAN13
08-03-2008, 07:23 PM
If he called for it, then he shouldn't have been bitching about Carrasco getting ejected. It's not the first time Olivo has been hit by a White Sox pitcher this year...

If you think a manager calls for a hitter to get beaned with the bases loaded you don't have a clue.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Why would you purposely hit a batter with the bases loaded? Ozzie did not want Carrasco to hit Olivo.
The score was already what? 6-0? 7-0?

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Olivo has an attitude to him. Also he tends to dive over the plate.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Olivo has an attitude to him. Also he tends to dive over the plate.
Maybe he has that tendency, but that was not the case today. Watch the video.

Whitesoxfan23
08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Maybe he has that tendency, but that was not the case today. Watch the video.

Why don't you take yourself and blind fanboyism for your garbage team elsewhere?

FedEx227
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
The score was already what? 6-0? 7-0?

Exactly. Bases loaded in a 4-2 game is different than a 6-0, 7-0.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Why don't you take yourself and blind fanboyism for your garbage team elsewhere?

My comment has nothing to with me being a Royals fan. It has to do with BEING ABLE TO SEE THE VIDEO. Try watching it first, then say he dove out over the plate.

Gavin
08-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey blue font, why can't your players accept a free RBI like real men? It's better than a double play...

DannyCaterFan
08-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Eddie Stanky for one, possibly Jeff Torborg

Railsplitter
08-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Pants Rowland.

Beat me to it!

Adele_H
08-03-2008, 07:42 PM

How dare you; Don Guillote is one baaad mutha' :angry:

Just by being himself, he improves the White Sox Brand, if nothing else.

Vestigio
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Exactly. Bases loaded in a 4-2 game is different than a 6-0, 7-0.

Then how come no one intentionally hit a Royal the inning before? Hell, if Ozzie wanted a pitcher to hit a Royal he could have done it the next inning if/when no one was onbase, instead of digging ourselves one more run deeper.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey blue font, why can't your players accept a free RBI like real men? It's better than a double play...
Like I said, he's been hit by the Sox before this season, and 2 consecutive pitches in his face probably didn't help either...

JGarlandrules20
08-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I didn't see the game but I think when you're playing in 100 degree heat, pitches will get away from you. Even if you're down 0-50, I really don't see him hitting a guy on purpose in that situation.

I loved Miguel when he played here, but I think he's kind of a hothead. This isn't his first incident of charging at someone. The whole Jose Reyes incident of last season comes to mind.

FedEx227
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Then how come no one intentionally hit a Royal the inning before? Hell, if Ozzie wanted a pitcher to hit a Royal he could have done it the next inning if/when no one was onbase, instead of digging ourselves one more run deeper.

You're right, Ozzie has never let his emotion or personal vendettas get out of hand or affect the team in anyway.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I didn't see the game but I think when you're playing in 100 degree heat, pitches will get away from you. Even if you're down 0-50, I really don't see him hitting a guy on purpose in that situation.

I loved Miguel when he played here, but I think he's kind of a hothead. This isn't his first incident of charging at someone. The whole Jose Reyes incident of last season comes to mind.
I didn't see the game either, just the video on Royals.com. I don't know if it was intentional, could have been. Olivo blew up this series, so theres reason to hit him, but the bases were loaded, but the game was already 6-0 and Greinke was on. Who knows...

cheezheadsoxfan
08-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I agree. I almost think there is too much protecting of the primadonna hitters of today. Koufax, Drysdale, and Gibson would probably be kicked out of every game in which they pitched if they pitched today.

Back to the original intent of the post, I think players like to know that their manager has their back. It's not like Ozzie is out there every close play arguing.

"Show me a guy who can't pitch inside and I'll show you a loser." Sandy Koufax

Adele_H
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Like I said, he's been hit by the Sox before this season, and 2 consecutive pitches in his face probably didn't help either...

This is the third time in 2 years Olivo wanted to charge a Sox pitcher. Unresolved iiiiiissues.....:rolleyes:

:olivo
And I am here!
to remind you!
of the mess you left when you traded away...
AJ perverted like me?
Would he take deep A. Pettitte?
I am sure he made an excellent game-caller"

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
This is the third time in 2 years Olivo wanted to charge a Sox pitcher. Unresolved iiiiiissues.....:rolleyes:

:olivo
And I am here!
to remind you!
of the mess you left when you traded away...
AJ perverted like me?
Would he take deep A. Pettitte?
I am sure he made an excellent game-caller"

LOL. He probably won't be in KC next year either so let's hope he goes back the NL...

EndemicSox
08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Lets take off the homer glasses, DJ tried to hit Olivo three times, and the pud failed on all three attempts. He deserved that walk of shame...

turners56
08-03-2008, 08:24 PM

I'm sure the Royals have never hit a White Sox player...

Oh, I forgot, Horacio Ramirez almost put JD on the DL with two pitches at the knees.

soxinem1
08-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm not arguing that the call was a hair short of complete bull****. I will argue that it does no good for a team that's floundering to have its manager go ape**** .

Like the way Gardenhire's balistic ritual went the other night?:smile:

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm sure the Royals have never hit a White Sox player...

Oh, I forgot, Horacio Ramirez almost put JD on the DL with two pitches at the knees.
Ok???

Brian26
08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Lets take off the homer glasses, DJ tried to hit Olivo three times, and the pud failed on all three attempts. He deserved that walk of shame...

Interesting. In the game I was watching, DJ hit him twice. Two for the price of one. Sean Tracey, wherever he is, should be taking notes.

JB98
08-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I have no idea whether Carrasco hit Olivo intentionally, but I'm certain Ozzie did not order him to do it. Not with the bases loaded. It was a 6-0 game at that point, but that's hardly insurmountable.

If Carrasco did it intentionally, good for him. Instead of charging Carrasco, Olivo should go punch Horacio Ramirez.

Ramirez is the ****ing ***** who started all this **** in Chicago.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I have no idea whether Carrasco hit Olivo intentionally, but I'm certain Ozzie did not order him to do it. Not with the bases loaded. It was a 6-0 game at that point, but that's hardly insurmountable.

If Carrasco did it intentionally, good for him. Instead of charging Carrasco, Olivo should go punch Horacio Ramirez.

Ramirez is the ****ing ***** who started all this **** in Chicago.

6-0 lead and the way Greinke was pitching, and our bullpen, tall order...

Bobby Jenks
08-03-2008, 08:46 PM
It's obvious he was trying to hit him. I'm more embarassed that it took him a couple of tries to do it.

JB98
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
6-0 lead and the way Greinke was pitching, and our bullpen, tall order...

Your bullpen sucks. We saw that Saturday.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
It's obvious he was trying to hit him. I'm more embarassed that it took him a couple of tries to do it.
LOL.

jenn2080
08-03-2008, 08:50 PM
This thread is lame!

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Your bullpen sucks. We saw that Saturday.
And yet we still won. Mahay gave up 3 runs, and his ERA is still 2.21.

Also...
H. Ramirez 2.86 ERA/1.00 WHIP
R. Ramirez 2.98 ERA/1.21 WHIP
Nunez 2.08 ERA/1.08 WHIP
Soria 1.42 ERA/0.69 WHIP

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2008, 08:59 PM
He will not get suspended. Brian Paruch even mentioned on The Score today that the umpire apologized to Ozzie after the game.

JB98
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Also...
Nunez 2.08 ERA/1.08 WHIP
Soria 1.42 ERA/0.69 WHIP

Your bullpen sucks. Grienke and Soria are the only two guys on your whole roster who could pitch for the Sox.

You're in fourth place. Beat it, troll.

Daver
08-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Also...
Nunez 2.08 ERA/1.08 WHIP
Soria 1.42 ERA/0.69 WHIP

Keep trolling and you will lose the ability to do so forever, I've seen enough of this crap.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Keep trolling and you will lose the ability to do so forever, I've seen enough of this crap.
Trolling=facts? OKIE DOKIE.

Adele_H
08-03-2008, 09:13 PM

For a die-hard Sox fan, you certainly do post a lot about Kansas City Royals. interesting colour choice, too.

Something's not right, hmm :?:

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 09:25 PM
For a die-hard Sox fan, you certainly do post a lot about Kansas City Royals. interesting colour choice, too.

Something's not right, hmm :?:
I'm not a die-hard Sox fan, although I do enjoy the team. A.J., Ozzie, Thomas, Shoeless Joe...

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Don't **** with Daver.

Adele_H
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm not a die-hard Sox fan

So, you're like a casual Sox fan, then or something?

That's cool if you are.

But, that still doesn't explain the whole creepy Kansas City Royals/blue text thing...

Oh shoot, I get it: it's the old "know your team good, but your enemics better" switcheroo. Pretty clever there - cuz you know, you're a Sox fan underneath, like me and other people, right? Woot.:bandance:

PeoriaSoxFan
08-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Go cut and paste some Mariotti articles to your wall and forget about your Ozzie bashing. It was all his fault today. I have been a Sox fan for over 30 years and absent Larussa, he is the best manager I have seen in that period.

We will win this division this year!

btrain929
08-03-2008, 09:58 PM

1) I didn't really notice a bump. I saw him getting in the umps face and the other ump getting in a way. Then I also noticed when the ump had his hand on Guillen's chest to keep him out of his face, Ozzie smacked it away once or twice.

2) Agreed, agreed, agreed.

08-03-2008, 10:05 PM

Go post on a Sesame Street forum.

Cuck the Fubs
08-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I love Ozzie! :bandance:

Vernam
08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Tired of Ozzie? Not quite. Tired of people who blame him for every shortcoming of his players? A long time ago.

Vernam

UofCSoxFan
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM

No ****. It was what the 6th inning. There would have been another chance to hit Olivio if that's what we wanted to do it...which I don't think there was a reason to.

DJ had his head down as Olivo came at him...if you were throwing at someone intentionally, wouldn't you be alert in case, half expecting the guy to come at you?

He just threw a pitch in side that Olivio lunged at and fouled off....many pitchers will double you up in that situation.

Whatever...I think most people that pause to actually think about the situation realize that this was not intentional at all.

thomas35forever
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM

Go post on a Sesame Street forum.

http://www.siriusthinking.com/sirius/UserFiles/Image/countvoncount.jpg
"Wonderful! That is one ridiculous thread started by 1908<2005! Start another one and I will count it!"

WhiteSoxBlog
08-04-2008, 01:38 AM
He's not the most eloquent speaker, so sometimes he gives off a bad impression, but, in my opinion, he does a good job as a manager and most -if not all- the things he says are right on.

As for today, Ozzie may have been wrong to argue, because Carrasco might have been more in trouble with the smack across Olivo's head than the inside pitching. At least, that's what I got from rewatching the video. Like many of you said, what wass the point of hitting a guy at that point in the game? Just to have another run cross home plate? Call me naive, but it was during the first three pitches, it was a hot day, and it may just have been a case of bad control. He wouldn't have been the only one to miss a pitch location today... And if he did do it on purpose, give him an Oscar right now for that reaction as it was happening.

southside rocks
08-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Tired of Ozzie? Not quite. Tired of people who blame him for every shortcoming of his players? A long time ago.

Vernam

Same goes for me.

Ozzie said in 2006 in his Playboy interview, talking about the fans who critique his moves: "The farther you sit from home plate, the more you know about the game." I know that people are probably just expressing the frustration we all feel right now at the horrible way the team is playing, but really, threads like this one make me think how right that statement is.

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Just saw on Sportscenter that the umpire that tossed Corrasco said he made a mistake after reviewing a tape of the pitches. Anyone else still think the pitch was intentional?

mcfish
08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Just saw on Sportscenter that the umpire that tossed Corrasco said he made a mistake after reviewing a tape of the pitches. Anyone else still think the pitch was intentional?I do. And if it wasn't he should be sent down to Charlotte - those were 2 pretty bad misses inside for a bases loaded situation.

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
I do. And if it wasn't he should be sent down to Charlotte - those were 2 pretty bad misses inside for a bases loaded situation.

So you decide to ignore the game situation (bases loaded no outs, game still within reach).
You ingore the fact that you need to pitch a guy like Olivo inside.
You ignore that Carrasco does not have pinpoint control.
You ignore the fact that the crew chief reversed his stance and does not think it was intentional...this is a guy that is trained to spot people throwing at batters
You ignore the fact taht Carrasco was shocked to see Olvio coming at him (now wouldn't this be a pretty dumb reaction for a guy that was throwing at someone).
You ingore the fact that when the Sox have thrown at a guy, it has never been at his head.

But other than that, you're probably right.

oeo
08-04-2008, 09:29 AM
1) I didn't really notice a bump. I saw him getting in the umps face and the other ump getting in a way. Then I also noticed when the ump had his hand on Guillen's chest to keep him out of his face, Ozzie smacked it away once or twice.

I didn't either. He did smack away the umpire's hand because it was all over him, but the umpire had no right to touch him, either.

cws05champ
08-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't beleive that Carassco was intentionally throwing at Olivo with the bases loaded. Makes no sense when the game is still relatively early and we still had a chance to come back. In his last few outings he has been pretty off with his control....I think that was the cases here.

If we were going to hit someone it would have been Teahan for bunting leading off an inning up by 6....not when the freaking bases are loaded.

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
If we were going to hit someone it would have been Teahan for bunting leading off an inning up by 6....not when the freaking bases are loaded.

Another good point....3 hitter bunting for a hit up 6....what a joke that was.

kevingrt
08-04-2008, 10:12 AM

Vernam

Best post of the thread.

surfdudes
08-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Vernam
My sentiments exactly. Tambien, if the Royals get their players suspended, Nothing changes, ie- they are still in last and lose 100 games this year. Suspensions for the ChiSox could mean the difference in the division.

mcfish
08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
So you decide to ignore the game situation (bases loaded no outs, game still within reach).
You ingore the fact that you need to pitch a guy like Olivo inside.
You ignore that Carrasco does not have pinpoint control.
You ignore the fact that the crew chief reversed his stance and does not think it was intentional...this is a guy that is trained to spot people throwing at batters
You ignore the fact taht Carrasco was shocked to see Olvio coming at him (now wouldn't this be a pretty dumb reaction for a guy that was throwing at someone).
You ingore the fact that when the Sox have thrown at a guy, it has never been at his head.

But other than that, you're probably right.Here we go...
1) I agree that it makes no sense in the game situation. In fact, in that game situation, I would think the right thing to do would be to throw strikes. So why in the world was he throwing the ball 2 feet inside? If he doesn't have better control than that 2 pitches in a row with the bases loaded, then send his ass back to Charlotte.
2) I apologize, but I'm not up on my scouting reports for Olivo. Many times though, after you knock a guy down you come back low and away, not in his elbow.
3) Like I said, if he doesn't have good enough control to come within 2 feet of the plate with the bases loaded send him down right now.
4) You ignore the fact that there is no instant replay in baseball, so it doesn't matter what the ump says after the fact after watching the tape. Without the benefit of replay, you see a pitcher going to go that far inside 2 (or really 3) straight pitches with the bases loaded, it looks intentional. The ump has an obligation to toss a guy in that case, and I thought it was rightly deserved. Ozzie wasn't tossed until he blew up, so the ump did everything right.
5) Even if he wasn't throwing at Olivo it was a stupid reaction to not see it coming. You just went inside 3 times, hitting him, knocking him down, and then really hitting him. Plan for the worst, hope for the best in that case.
6) I said long ago that I don't think Ozzie had anything to do with it. So you can't follow Sox patterns.

All that said, I'm willing to admit that it might not have been intentional. Even still, his ejection was completely deserved. His demotion would be too if he really has so little control as you seem to give him credit for.

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Here we go...
1) I agree that it makes no sense in the game situation. In fact, in that game situation, I would think the right thing to do would be to throw strikes. So why in the world was he throwing the ball 2 feet inside? If he doesn't have better control than that 2 pitches in a row with the bases loaded, then send his ass back to Charlotte.
2) I apologize, but I'm not up on my scouting reports for Olivo. Many times though, after you knock a guy down you come back low and away, not in his elbow.
3) Like I said, if he doesn't have good enough control to come within 2 feet of the plate with the bases loaded send him down right now.
4) You ignore the fact that there is no instant replay in baseball, so it doesn't matter what the ump says after the fact after watching the tape. Without the benefit of replay, you see a pitcher going to go that far inside 2 (or really 3) straight pitches with the bases loaded, it looks intentional. The ump has an obligation to toss a guy in that case, and I thought it was rightly deserved. Ozzie wasn't tossed until he blew up, so the ump did everything right.
5) Even if he wasn't throwing at Olivo it was a stupid reaction to not see it coming. You just went inside 3 times, hitting him, knocking him down, and then really hitting him. Plan for the worst, hope for the best in that case.
6) I said long ago that I don't think Ozzie had anything to do with it. So you can't follow Sox patterns.

All that said, I'm willing to admit that it might not have been intentional. Even still, his ejection was completely deserved. His demotion would be too if he really has so little control as you seem to give him credit for.

I understand why Olivo went after Carrasco in the heat of the moment. Also in the heat of the moment, I'm not shocked that Carrasco was tossed. That being said, I don't think it was intentional at all (and thus feel that tossing Carrasco was a mistake, albeit I understand where the ump was coming from).

I also agree that Carrasco isn't the best reliever we have...and that he really was missing his spots by over a foot. But given our current bullpen, I"m not sure how many other options we have. People have mentioned Link and Rodriguez, who I admitedly don't know much about...but I would send down Logan and Wasserman before DJ (even though they all suck).