PDA

View Full Version : Cuban now a favorite to buy Cubs?

It's Time
08-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh, nooooo's.:o:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080802-mark-cuban-chicago-cubs,1,6430716.story

kittle42
08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
If this happens, the Sox may as well move to Vegas or some such city.

Boondock Saint
08-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Some Cub fan:

No, seriously, this is the move that puts us over the top! We really mean it this time. The last 100 years were just practice seasons! Now we're ready to win! Just you wait and see!

Basically, the Cubs suck, they have sucked for 100 years, and they will continue to suck. Mark Cuban will own a ****ty team and he'll sit in the bleachers with his ****ty teams ****ty fans.

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Some Cub fan:

No, seriously, this is the move that puts us over the top! We really mean it this time. The last 100 years were just practice seasons! Now we're ready to win! Just you wait and see!

Basically, the Cubs suck, they have sucked for 100 years, and they will continue to suck. Mark Cuban will own a ****ty team and he'll sit in the bleachers with his ****ty teams ****ty fans.
Ya I know have you seen what he did to the Mavericks?

It's Time
08-03-2008, 08:12 PM
His opening bid was 1.3 Billion. That's insane.

chisoxmike
08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Ya I know have you seen what he did to the Mavericks?

Must be a big day for you hearing this magical news in the midst of this magical season for your Cubbies!

Go Cubs Go!

slavko
08-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Not that I care who buys the Cubs, but I just thought of a year or so ago when Blago and Zell were dancing their little BS dance about the state buying the ballpark and I promised I'd never post again if the ballpark wasn't sold along with the team. I'd have missed you guys. Cuban is as disliked as he is liked but who cares?

Boondock Saint
08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Not that I care who buys the Cubs, but I just thought of a year or so ago when Blago and Zell were dancing their little BS dance about the state buying the ballpark and I promised I'd never post again if the ballpark wasn't sold along with the team. I'd have missed you guys. Cuban is as disliked as he is liked but who cares?

Mark Cuban is a douche and a cancer to the sport of basketball. I'd be saying the same thing about him if he wanted to buy the Astros. Keep him the hell out of baseball.

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Some Cub fan:

Must be a big day for you hearing this magical news in the midst of this magical season for your Cubbies!

Go Cubs Go!
What track record does Cuban have to indicate the Cubs would continue to suck under his ownership? So far I would say he 1 for 1 with turning around a franchise.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Mark Cuban+no salary cap=Cubs win.

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Mark Cuban is the most overrated non-player in professional sports. He spends some money on front office personnel, locker rooms, and extras and all of the sudden he's this icon of pro sports...

**** MARK CUBAN!!!!

I hate Mark Cuban with a passion. As a baseball diehard and as an MMA diehard I see what he's trying to do. It's all about money, nothing else. As much **** as Jerry Reinsdorf gets, Jerry Reinsdorf is more of a fan of baseball and basketball and the Bulls/Sox franchises than Mark Cuban is a fan of suck-offs. I hate this guy. He's bad for any sport he touches. Cubs fans should hate this guy. Everyone should hate this guy. He cares none for the sport, only for the money. I hope Bud Selig does his job and keeps this dickwad from being involved in any MLB operations. I hope Mark Cuban dies a lonely death.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Mark Cuban is the most overrated non-player in professional sports. He spends some money on front office personnel, locker rooms, and extras and all of the sudden he's this icon of pro sports...

**** MARK CUBAN!!!!

I hate Mark Cuban with a passion. As a baseball diehard and as an MMA diehard I see what he's trying to do. It's all about money, nothing else. As much **** as Jerry Reinsdorf gets, Jerry Reinsdorf is more of a fan of baseball and basketball and the Bulls/Sox franchises than Mark Cuban is a fan of suck-offs. I hate this guy. He's bad for any sport he touches. Cubs fans should hate this guy. Everyone should hate this guy. He cares none for the sport, only for the money. I hope Bud Selig does his job and keeps this dickwad from being involved in any MLB operations. I hope Mark Cuban dies a lonely death.

Have you ever watched a Mavericks game? Or SportsCenter? Mark Cuban only cares about money huh? That's why he posted a $1,300,000,000 bid to buy the Cubs right? That's almost half of his net worth. He only paid $285,000,000 for the Mavericks. Or maybe thats why he's been fined by the NBA 13 times for $1,665,000?

Rocky Soprano
08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Will someone please remind me how many championships Cuban has won and how many Reinsdorf has.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Will someone please remind me how many championships Cuban has won and how many Reinsdorf has.

He's been an owner for over 20 years, Cuban has been an owner for 8 years. Reinsdorf also had Michael Jordan.

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
How relevant were the Mavericks before he bought them?

It's Time
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8049/18cub09180703cstfeed200pa9.jpg
"My Condo is right there by the Lake. The party is there right after the game".

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
How relevant were the Mavericks before he bought them?
Mavericks winning percentage...

Before Cuban (20 years): 40%
Since Cuban (8 years): 69%

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Have you ever watched a Mavericks game? Or SportsCenter? Mark Cuban only cares about money huh? That's why he posted a $1,300,000,000 bid to buy the Cubs right? That's almost half of his net worth. He only paid $285,000,000 for the Mavericks. Or maybe thats why he's been fined by the NBA 13 times for $1,665,000?
Mark Cuban's sole goal in life is to get laid. He's failed at every opportunity. He bids recklessly on the Cubs because he thinks that doing so will present him the opportunity of getting some from an idiot fan, but it will not work. Mark Cuban sucks. Hookers even laugh at him. Mark Cuban couldn't get crack if he sold it. I hate that guy.

Time to go watch WEC, a promotion that is better than anything Mark Cuban has ever been a part of.

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I fail to understand to hatred for the guy? It has nothing to do with his desire to own Cubs. The guy is passionate about his investments and wants them to succeed. The idea that he is all about the money is joke. He is all about success to the point that money isn't an issue as long as it brings him success, But hey as someone else pointed out I guess he is nothing more than "a rich guy that can pull ass" even though he's married with children.:rolleyes:

Railsplitter
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Mavericks winning percentage...

Before Cuban (20 years): 40%
Since Cuban (8 years): 69%

NBA crowns for Mavericks before Cuban: 0
NBA crowns for Mavericks with Cuban: 0

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah, he took a **** franchise and made them successful, they have at least gotten to Finals and playoffs...

getonbckthr
08-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Ok and in the years he has owned them 3 have been won by the Spurs and 3 by the Lakers. ALso Miami, Boston and Detroit have a title. The years the East won LA lost twice and Dallas lost. So he has made 1 final in the middle of a Laker/Spur dominated decade or so.

High Mileage
08-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Playoff records since Cuban became an owner in 2000...

Bulls: 10-12
Mavs: 42-48

Just sayin'...

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Here's the straight dope on Cuban, from someone who's seen him operate.

Cuban is a brilliant businessman and knows how to market his product. He's definitely turned around the Mavericks. He knows how to give players all the extra perks. NBA free agents now see Dallas as a top-notch destination. But he's also made some foolish moves. He inherited a core of Nowitzki, Nash and Finley. He overpaid and then dumped Finley for nothing, and then refused to re-sign Steve Nash and instead gave that money to Erik Dampier. He whines about the refs and baits them from the bench. (He's often right, but his incessant whining only makes the refs want to make more calls against the Mavericks.)

Cuban's strengths really helped the Mavericks become a top-notch organization. But the Cubs already are a "marquee" organization, already get tremendous media attention, already sell out the park, and already spend a lot of money on free agents.

Bottom line: There's not much Cuban can add to the Cubs, other than an additional ring in the circus.

mark2olson
08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Bottom line: There's not much Cuban can add to the Cubs, other than an additional ring in the circus.

Probably the most insightful post I have read regarding the circus surrounding the sale of the Cubs.

I would only add that many fans, and members of the media, view Cuban as the latest Messiah that will take the Cubs to the promised land. We've all heard the stories over the years. {Soriano|Fukudome|Pierre|Maddux|Garciaparra|Wood|P ryor|et al} is the final piece of the puzzle that will take the Cubs to the top. All of these pieces have failed to take them to the top yet. Perhaps Cuban is the final piece; I remain unconvinced, however.

Domeshot17
08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
a few years ago when this all started, I read something I thought was great. Baseball should proposition Cuban to buy the Pirates if he wants in. Use his money and his business knowledge to buy the team he grew up loving and turn them into a franchise. All you need to know about Cubans love for the game is his new love for the Cubs. As of a few years ago, the guy was all about the Pirates, loved his pirates, now he is a cub fan?

How many of us, if we had the money, would be showing our true colors if we were parading around in Royals gear all day talking about how much we love them and want to buy them.

Cuck the Fubs
08-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Thank You!

Hey wasn't Steve Nash a Maverick once?

JohnnyInnsbrook
08-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Playoff records since Cuban became an owner in 2000...

Bulls: 10-12
Mavs: 42-48

Just sayin'...

Dont mean a think with out the ring....

getonbckthr
08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
a few years ago when this all started, I read something I thought was great. Baseball should proposition Cuban to buy the Pirates if he wants in. Use his money and his business knowledge to buy the team he grew up loving and turn them into a franchise. All you need to know about Cubans love for the game is his new love for the Cubs. As of a few years ago, the guy was all about the Pirates, loved his pirates, now he is a cub fan?

How many of us, if we had the money, would be showing our true colors if we were parading around in Royals gear all day talking about how much we love them and want to buy them.
If i'm wrong i'm sorry I said it, but I believe CUban said he tried to buy the Pirates but they wouldn't sell.

The Critic
08-04-2008, 04:46 PM
If i'm wrong i'm sorry I said it, but I believe Cuban said he tried to buy the Pirates but they wouldn't sell.

I've heard this as well.
I like Cuban. I think he's a smart guy who's made some really shrewd business moves. He seems like a genuine guy who loves sports, and I think he'd be a very interesting character in the Chicago sports landscape.
I'd be really curious to see how he'd create revenue streams for a franchise that seems maxed out in that regard, while hamstrung by the landmark status of the ballpark and the neighborhood groups to negotiate with.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't think Reinsdorf would let him. And as Reinsdorf goes, so goes Selig.

white sox bill
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Can JR himself veto Cuban? Can Selig do it himself? I would assume it would take a certain number of thumbs down to nix Cuban. I can't see Jerry letting Cuban in to steal more of the city. But damn, allowing Cuban to pay that much would jack up every MLB franchise a considerable amount. I can't imagine what the Sox would be worth as a comparable (I'm sure less)

soxwon
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I really hope not, I love Cuban, i really don't want to HATE the guy!!!!

fquaye149
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM

George Steinbrenner couldn't win with a similar equation.

I guess Mark Cuban is just a better baseball mastermind...

russ99
08-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Do you really think the other owners will approve him? I don't. And it probably won't come down to Reinsdorf and Selig either.

MLB ownership (for good or bad) is an old-boy network. This old-line millionaires club doesn't want some brash kid making them look bad, causing a scene (like many times in Dallas) or forcing them to spend more salary on players than they already do. And as for the franchise value inflation, anyone who buys the Cubs is going to inflate franchise sales prices.

I'd be really interested in what the Rangers and Astros ownership has to say about him. I'd bet familiarity breeds contempt.

The other side of the coin is you know that Zell wants to sell to him, since he'll likely be the high bidder. But Zell has ruffled feathers at MLB as well, so that may also enter into the decision.

I gotta laugh at NBA commissioner David Stern recommending him. Yeah right, like MLB ownership is going to look past all the times he's butted heads with league brass...

Fenway
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't think Reinsdorf would let him. And as Reinsdorf goes, so goes Selig.

Gammons addressed this on ESPN Boston last week.

Selig has decided that if Cuban is the high bidder so be it.

The reason is MLB lawyers have told Bud that a lawsuit by Cuban or Zell could very well end the anti-trust excemption. MLB can not risk that.

Selig dodged a bullet when Charles Dolan did not sue after he was the high bidder for the Red Sox and did not get it. Dolan had too many other dealings with MLB that he did not want to put in jeopardy.

Cuban would most likely sue.........and Zell CERTAINLY would.

TDog
08-05-2008, 06:44 PM

The reason is MLB lawyers have told Bud that a lawsuit by Cuban or Zell could very well end the anti-trust excemption. MLB can not risk that.

Selig dodged a bullet when Charles Dolan did not sue after he was the high bidder for the Red Sox and did not get it. Dolan had too many other dealings with MLB that he did not want to put in jeopardy.

Everyone wants to stay out of court, and with good reason.

I understand that owners would not risk losing their antitrust exemption because the value of their property would decrease if they did. By the same token, buying into baseball at the cost of baseball's antitrust exemption wouldn't seem to be a smart business move, although it would allow the owner to move he Cubs to another city if he had problems in dealing with the Chicago, something the antitrust exemption would prevent because a move would have to be approved by baseball. Depending on your business practices, removing the exemption could benefit an owner with demands that were contrary to the best interests of baseball.

Hurting the value of baseball properties would matter little to the Tribune Company if they were getting out of the baseball business. The cost of litigation might make another bid a more financially viable option. But the exemption has been beneficial to the city of Chicago, which in turn has benefited the Tribune Company. Both parties may be bluffing on their threat of litigation, but the threat may be sufficient.

If the Tribune Company selects a bid lower than Mark Cuban's without allowing Cuban to be rejected by baseball owners, Cuban's legal standing would have to be diminished.

wealz07
08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

I don't doubt that Selig would sell to the highest bidder if it's Cuban. I also don't doubt that Selig and Reinsdorf have figured out a way to make Cuban's bid "not the highest" bid.

Zell is a friend of Reinsdorf so I'm sure he's down with any conspiracy that doesn't get Cuban the Cubs, but which gets the highest bid for the Cubs.

Fenway
08-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Zell appears to be out to wring every last dollar he can get for the Cubs. He is drowing in debt right now and he needs cash.

Cuban is a dangerous player as he is not as inclined to be looking at a return on his investment. In that regards he is like a modern day Tom Yawkey who inherited so much money when he turned 30 that he just wanted a toy.

1.3 Billion is double what the Red Sox sold for in 2002.

The other bidders obviously want a return on their investment and if Cuban INCREASES his bid no one else can come close and expect a return. The LaSalle St guys put in a realistic bid on what the Cubs are really worth and Zell said CYA.

JR might detest Cuban but a record Cubs purchase price will make JR's 40 percent of Comcast SportsNet that much more valuable and the White Sox as well.

Maybe there is another deal in the works that will appease JR with Cuban selling the Mavs.

I don't doubt that Selig would sell to the highest bidder if it's Cuban. I also don't doubt that Selig and Reinsdorf have figured out a way to make Cuban's bid "not the highest" bid.

Zell is a friend of Reinsdorf so I'm sure he's down with any conspiracy that doesn't get Cuban the Cubs, but which gets the highest bid for the Cubs.

russ99
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Zell appears to be out to wring every last dollar he can get for the Cubs. He is drowing in debt right now and he needs cash.

Cuban is a dangerous player as he is not as inclined to be looking at a return on his investment. In that regards he is like a modern day Tom Yawkey who inherited so much money when he turned 30 that he just wanted a toy.

1.3 Billion is double what the Red Sox sold for in 2002.

The other bidders obviously want a return on their investment and if Cuban INCREASES his bid no one else can come close and expect a return. The LaSalle St guys put in a realistic bid on what the Cubs are really worth and Zell said CYA.

JR might detest Cuban but a record Cubs purchase price will make JR's 40 percent of Comcast SportsNet that much more valuable and the White Sox as well.

Maybe there is another deal in the works that will appease JR with Cuban selling the Mavs.

As far as Comcast SportsNet goes, the Cubs are moving to an all-Cubs cable channel when the contract ends. Sure, that's something like 10 years from now, but who's to say the new ownership wouldn't want to pay their way out the contract, since a Cubs channel could be a lucrative thing for them, like the Yankees' channel.

I seriously doubt Jerry would vote one way or the other based on the Comcast deal...

Also, all baseball owners are in it for the long haul. Baseball teams are a loss or break even operation. The Sox have pulled a profit the last few years mostly due to the World Series title. Owners hold onto teams a long time and make their real profit when they sell. I doubt any of the Cub potential ownership groups are in it to make a quick buck (which is a good way to sink a team) then bail 5 years or so down the line.

The Cubs are a franchise with a solid financial base. I don't see how Cuban makes any difference over other potential owners or ownership groups on an overall management level, other than a potential for him to throw away tons of cash on payroll (more than Zell has) to try and buy a title - which could lead to conflict (more than his usual kind) with the other owners and the league.

The Cubs will sell at a much larger price than the Red Sox, but that also includes Wrigley. MLB owners' franchise value will raise regardless who buys the team. The big question is would MLB put up with Cuban for a modest jump in overall franchise value over other buyers? I don't buy the lawsuit threat either, since there's precedent in the Henry/Red Sox deal and I don't see Cuban being sucessful using threats to coerce the ownership group to accept him.

Other than the possibility of throwing more money at Zell, I don't see how Cuban has any more pull than the other potential buyers. If anything, he has less pull due to his track record with the Mavs, being a combative owner with officials and other members of the league.

champagne030
08-05-2008, 10:07 PM

As far as Comcast SportsNet goes, the Cubs are moving to an all-Cubs cable channel when the contract ends. Sure, that's something like 10 years from now, but who's to say the new ownership wouldn't want to pay their way out the contract, since a Cubs channel could be a lucrative thing for them, like the Yankees' channel.

I seriously doubt Jerry would vote one way or the other based on the Comcast deal...

Also, all baseball owners are in it for the long haul. Baseball teams are a loss or break even operation. The Sox have pulled a profit the last few years mostly due to the World Series title. Owners hold onto teams a long time and make their real profit when they sell. I doubt any of the Cub potential ownership groups are in it to make a quick buck (which is a good way to sink a team) then bail 5 years or so down the line.

The Cubs are a franchise with a solid financial base. I don't see how Cuban makes any difference over other potential owners or ownership groups on an overall management level, other than a potential for him to throw away tons of cash on payroll (more than Zell has) to try and buy a title - which could lead to conflict (more than his usual kind) with the other owners and the league.

The Cubs will sell at a much larger price than the Red Sox, but that also includes Wrigley. MLB owners' franchise value will raise regardless who buys the team. The big question is would MLB put up with Cuban for a modest jump in overall franchise value over other buyers?

Other than the possibility of throwing more money at Zell, I don't see how Cuban has any more pull than the other potential buyers. If anything, he has less pull due to his track record with the Mavs, being a combative owner with officials and other members of the league.

IMO, Cuban has been played. He's there to drive up the price....he's got no chance.

Fenway
08-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Amazing that I am watching White Sox in China at Noontime

Red Sox sold for 700M in 2002 and that included the park and 80 percent of NESN ( the Bruins own the other 20 )

What has happened is the Red Sox have now bought all the adjacent real estate around Fenway and that neighborhood is now red hot. It is recession proof as it is an area sandwiched between BU and the Longwood Medical Area. Kenmore Sq which was always seedy is now popular with the Euros flocking to Boston because of the exchange rate.

John Henry and Company have maximized revenue to unheard levels but there has to be a limit.

JR has to be looking at bottom line as given his age and his offspring having no interest in club he will be selling sooner or later.

The Cubs will sell at a much larger price than the Red Sox, but that also includes Wrigley. MLB owners' franchise value will raise regardless who buys the team. The big question is would MLB put up with Cuban for a modest jump in overall franchise value over other buyers? I don't buy the lawsuit threat either, since there's precedent in the Henry/Red Sox deal and I don't see Cuban being sucessful using threats to coerce the ownership group to accept him.

russ99
08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Amazing that I am watching White Sox in China at Noontime

Red Sox sold for 700M in 2002 and that included the park and 80 percent of NESN ( the Bruins own the other 20 )

What has happened is the Red Sox have now bought all the adjacent real estate around Fenway and that neighborhood is now red hot. It is recession proof as it is an area sandwiched between BU and the Longwood Medical Area. Kenmore Sq which was always seedy is now popular with the Euros flocking to Boston because of the exchange rate.

John Henry and Company have maximized revenue to unheard levels but there has to be a limit.

JR has to be looking at bottom line as given his age and his offspring having no interest in club he will be selling sooner or later.

Oh, I have to agree there, Jerry's going to sell soon. But if Cuban buys the Cubs, markets them more aggressively and finds a way to buy a title, then it's likely the Sox franchise value would go down. So there's that too...

Have fun at the Olympics in Beijing. That so awesome.

Heffalump
08-06-2008, 01:15 PM

You are nutz if you think this is true. All the teams are privately owned and their financial accounting records are also private. This allows them to 'massage' the financials in many different ways to make it appear that they make much less than they actualy do. They want blokes like us and the player's union, agents, etc. to believe that they are scrounging for pennies.

Fenway
08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
I can see 10 years from now a Cubs-Blackhawks channel and a separate White Sox-Bulls outlet.

RSN's in large markets are a gold mine for teams that own them. However as the Twins and Royals found out you need a large population base to make it work.

But the money tree might vanish for the Red Sox and Yankees if the FCC allows a-la-carte pricing for cable and satellite such as Canada had.

Right now Disney gets an obscene about of money from every cable subscriber. Surveys have shown 70 percent of cable homes would drop ESPN in a heartbeat if they could. NESN and YES would have the same problem.

Could the FCC or Congress do this? People are sick of huge cable bills.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
I can see 10 years from now a Cubs-Blackhawks channel and a separate White Sox-Bulls outlet.

Do you say that because the Sox and Bulls are natural partners (Reinsdorf, etc.), and that would "force" the Hawks and Cubs into a similar alliance?

If there were a cable network that showed Sox games, and I could order it a la carte, I'm willing to pay handsomely to get it. In fact, I would "pay per view" to get live Sox games and nothing else. (How about selling it though iTunes or something like that?)

I'm just not interested in paying an arm and a leg for premium level service that has a million channels I don't want, just to get one channel that I do.

08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I can't believe Alexei is going to buy the Cubs.

Fenway
08-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I can see it evolving that way assuming JR still controls both franchises. Hawks and Cubs also have the McDonough connection.

The sad irony is had JR not panicked in the mid 80's and held on to Sportsvision the White Sox today might one of the richest teams in sports. Einhorn had the right idea but was 5 years too early. Chicago wasn't wired for cable until 85 or 86 when Group W and Cablevision finally got up and running.

The Red Sox started NESN in 1984 and ran into the same problems Sportsvision had but held on to it and refused to sell to Charles Dolan. Today NESN is worth more than the team.

Einhorn still saw gold and it was his dream of a statewide Florida sportsnet that fueled the possible move to St Pete.

Still the threat of al-la-carte pricing looms like the elephant in the room. Most consumers would welcome the option of picking what channels they want. The cable companies seem to want it as well as most of a customers bill goes to programming fees. Comcast just wants the line into the home to provide internet and voice where the real money is.

West can explain how al-a-carte works in Canada.

IF it happens professional sports will be impacted greatly.

Do you say that because the Sox and Bulls are natural partners (Reinsdorf, etc.), and that would "force" the Hawks and Cubs into a similar alliance?

If there were a cable network that showed Sox games, and I could order it a la carte, I'm willing to pay handsomely to get it. In fact, I would "pay per view" to get live Sox games and nothing else. (How about selling it though iTunes or something like that?)

I'm just not interested in paying an arm and a leg for premium level service that has a million channels I don't want, just to get one channel that I do.