PDA

View Full Version : KC This Weekend

BoysMom3
08-03-2008, 04:40 PM
So TR afternoon my husband calls at noon and wonders what I think about talking off to Kansas City for the weekend to watch some Sox games with our kids. Yeah, sounds like fun. The oldest, unfortunately, already had plans, but we took off with the two little guys late Fri. morning.

Fri. night was a really fun game to watch. We had the first row in the upper deck, just left of home plate. I loved Kauffman Stadium. It was smallish, giving it a really intimate feel. It reminded me of a minor league stadium. We won, and it was a fun evening, even though we just had a long drive, and it was so hot out.

Then we went to check in. Hubby was a little bit crabby about it because he wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn, which was walking distance from the stadium. I made the reservations and did not want to stay there after reading the reviews that said it was a great place to stay with the guys if you're going to a game, but it wouldn't meet a woman's standards, as it was dirty. I wanted to stay at a really nice hotel, so I went to priceline to see what I could find while staying in the same price range as the Holiday Inn. I got an acceptance, and I loved the pics of the hotel - it was beautiful.

While I waited in the car with the kids during check-in (after the game), my husband was decidedly a bit less crabby about me "having to be a princess all the time." Because I guess he ran into Dwayne Wise in the lobby and thought the players must be staying there. It was too late with the little ones to hang out, so I just snuck downstairs for a minute to check out the lobby. I peeked into the bar and couldn't make out faces at the bar. I started walking towards the elevator and see Alexei get off. It was so unexpected, but I managed a smile and a "hi, good game." He just smiled.

After a delicious breakfast the next morning, I peered into the lounge area and elbowed my husband. I whispered - look over there, Ozzie. Ozzie was sitting there drinking coffee. As we head to the elevator BA got off and walked right by us. I looked at my husband with eyes about as big as saucers. Oh my, he was so cute in real life!!!! (I asked later if my mouth was dropped open, he said yes. haha.)

Then the real fun started when our room key wouldn't work, so we went back down to the lobby. We decided to just hang out for a bit because we figured the team must be getting ready to leave for the game because there were several fans hanging out too. We ended up seeing Josh Fields, Carlos, JD, Javy, Swish, Cooper, and Walker. Some of them left in cars, and the rest of them left on a bus. We didn't say anything to anyone, as they were walking by on their way out, not hanging out. But it was so dang exciting to see them anyway! Later on as we were going back up to our room after swimming, Contreras walked out of the elevator with his wife and their baby girl.

Then there was the not so great game yesterday, which we left early because we couldn't take the heat anymore. It was over 100 degrees, and that was without the heat index. Totally brutal.

We stayed in St. Louis last night and headed home this morning without doing the arch or the zoo because it was storming. Caught today's brutal game on the radio and the end of it on t.v. at home. I'm pretty bummed about being out of first, but I don't want to dwell on it because the weekend was so much fun. I met a lady at the pool that said she and her husband hung out at the bar Friday night and the guys that were there from the team (Ozzie, Uribe, Walker) were very friendly and interacted with the fans. Our boys did great, especially considering the long rides and the heat, so it was one of those really fun, spontaneous kind of things that I just love to do!

soxwon
08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Let us know which Hotel did you stay at?

SoxGirl4Life
08-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a great time! well, except for the Saturday game..:tongue:

BoysMom3
08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
We stayed at the Intercontinental - it was downtown, about 10 miles from the stadium. And we still didn't have to pay for parking at the stadium on Fri. because we just parked in the Holiday Inn parking lot and still walked over. So no big deal.

Navarro's Talent
08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Glad you had fun. I was down there this weekend too for the first two games. Yes, that weather was brutal.

BoysMom3
08-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Where did you stay Navarro? There were a lot of Sox fans at the hotel we stayed at, and that lady at the pool told me it was the Grinder fan group outing.

Brian26
08-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Contreras walked out of the elevator with his wife and their baby girl.

Wow, Jose works quick.

EuroSox35
08-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Nice, any pics?

BoysMom3
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
^^No, I didn't even bring my camera. I had no idea we'd be anywhere close to any players. We didn't ask for any autographs either.

I was also really glad for my kids that they got to see Bobby Jenks play - they love him!

When we saw Ozzie, I pointed him out to the kids and asked if they knew who it was. I didn't say anything when we saw BA because I was afraid they might answer - yes! That's your boyfriend Mommy! :redface:

Woofer
08-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Very cool story, it sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Navarro's Talent
08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Where did you stay Navarro? There were a lot of Sox fans at the hotel we stayed at, and that lady at the pool told me it was the Grinder fan group outing.

I was at the Sheraton across the street from the park. It was a nice play to stay, plus it was very convenient to get to Kaufman.

KenBerryGrab
08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice score, BoysMom. I love Kansas City. Having gone to Mizzou, I made it over there pretty regularly with roommates and other friends. There are a lot of fine hotels, and the restaurants are good, too.

The heat, though, you are right. That Missouri swelter is one reason I never went to summer school. Mid-August for the start of the semester was bad enough.

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow, Jose works quick.

Yeah, how was Jose there if he was pitching Sunday in Charlotte?

And he got re-married this quick and with a kid after that nasty divorce?

Wow, talk about a quick rebound.

BoysMom3
08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I actually didn't get a good look at Jose - I was looking more at the baby - she was cute. My husband told me it was Jose, and he's a huge fan, so I'm sure he was right. The lady had on a Sox shirt too.

salty99
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
That is strange. Jose was at the picnic at the park with a young lady friend, but I didn't see any kids with them. But who knows now a days

Foulke You
08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
The heat, though, you are right. That Missouri swelter is one reason I never went to summer school. Mid-August for the start of the semester was bad enough.
It just LOOKED hot on TV. I can only imagine how hot it was for the players out there. My Uncle used to live in St. Charles, MO (Buehrle's home town!) and used to speak ominously of how hot the summers in Missouri are. I can't believe the Royals can get anyone to sit out in that for 3 to 4 hours to watch a 4th place team.

BoysMom3
08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Well I asked my husband tonight if he was sure it was Jose, and he said he was positive. Maybe it wasn't his wife and baby - maybe they were relatives or something??? The little girl wasn't a newborn or anything - I'd say she was probably around 1 year old.

champagne030
08-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Well I asked my husband tonight if he was sure it was Jose, and he said he was positive. Maybe it wasn't his wife and baby - maybe they were relatives or something??? The little girl wasn't a newborn or anything - I'd say she was probably around 1 year old.

Jose was there. His family and I were the only people in the hotel gym at about 11:00 AM on Saturday morning. I asked him how rehab was going and he said "close".

BoysMom3
08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
^^Ok, good, thanks for saying that!