PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts about the year so far

FanOf14
05-10-2002, 10:50 PM
As much as I was hoping for a repeat of the 2000 season (or better), it seems as if there are some glaring differences that are going to catch up to the Sox. They are as streaky as H-E-double hockeysticks, fall apart in close games and except for Buerhle, Ritchie and Howry lack a strong consistancy, or any kind of consistancy for that matter, in the pitching department (nutz, never thought I'd here me say that about Blow-It-Again-Bob). I am enjoying the heck out of the wins, but I would love to see them be able to pick up at least one close game every now and then and see a stronger starting rotation.

Another problem the Sox organization has is that they rush their pitching prospects along too fast. This is the reason that I am in the "take your time with Honel" camp - make sure he has plenty of time to develop. Garland can't use that as an excuse thought. He mastered AAA and has had 2 years in the big leagues, he should be a heck of a lot more dominating and consistant than he is. Danny Wright should have had more time in the minors to refine his abilities - he will be good someday, but rushing him they way they have, is setting him back on that track.

They have a wealth of talent preparing to come up in the minors and that kind of depth (as long as KW doesn't trade it all away) is reassuring because that means the Sox have a good shot at contending for a long time.

Thanks for letting put my 2 cents in.

guillen4life13
05-11-2002, 11:23 PM
I definitely agree.

hell, the only projected 'consistent" guy on this staff has been juggling us around. he ain't been foulking em up like he used to. imo maybe bobby should close a few out here and there. or put dan wright in as a closer. maybe foulke can start. let's pull a derek lowe thing here.

GASHWOUND
05-12-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
As much as I was hoping for a repeat of the 2000 season (or better), it seems as if there are some glaring differences that are going to catch up to the Sox. They are as streaky as H-E-double hockeysticks, fall apart in close games and except for Buerhle, Ritchie and Howry lack a strong consistancy, or any kind of consistancy for that matter, in the pitching department (nutz, never thought I'd here me say that about Blow-It-Again-Bob). I am enjoying the heck out of the wins, but I would love to see them be able to pick up at least one close game every now and then and see a stronger starting rotation.

Another problem the Sox organization has is that they rush their pitching prospects along too fast. This is the reason that I am in the "take your time with Honel" camp - make sure he has plenty of time to develop. Garland can't use that as an excuse thought. He mastered AAA and has had 2 years in the big leagues, he should be a heck of a lot more dominating and consistant than he is. Danny Wright should have had more time in the minors to refine his abilities - he will be good someday, but rushing him they way they have, is setting him back on that track.

They have a wealth of talent preparing to come up in the minors and that kind of depth (as long as KW doesn't trade it all away) is reassuring because that means the Sox have a good shot at contending for a long time.

Thanks for letting put my 2 cents in.

Agreed, I thought Garland was gonna be our Tim Hudson. Uhh, guess not. . Wright is to raw of a pitcher right now, and seems just not able to put it together. But KW needs to take the blunt of this, he said coming into this season and why he made the Ritchie trade is because he didn't want to come into this season with 4 ? marks. Sooo, I guess he thought we would get bye with 3 ? marks? How in the hell do you go into the season with pretty much 3 rookie caliber pitchers as your 3rd, 4th, and 5th starters and pretend everything was A-OK? None of this should be surprising to KW, or any of us. Now he sees the consequences of his non-ability to improve the bottom half of the rotation, and just turning the left cheek pretending everything was Laly-da.
Now we're paying for his non-actions.
Maybe the 19-0 butt whoopin woke up his feeble mind.