PDA

View Full Version : To Everyone That enjoys Posting Here, Read This and Respond

Pages : [1] 2

Daver
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I am going lay this out as simple facts, and let you folks help us decide what our next course of action is going to be, because it affects the entire community. This forum is free to use, but it does cost money to keep it running, since it's inception West has been kind enough to foot the bills, but this can't continue.

We have always been adverse to allowing advertising on the forums, and we would like to have that continue, but it would mean you folks would have to be willing to donate some cash to pay the bills. The plain truth is this, WSI's dedicated server costs $325.00 dollars a month, that is $3900.00 a year, we as a staff can't pay that. We are NOT saying the staff won't kick in to help defray the costs, but we are saying if we don't have enough interest in people willing to donate to the forums, we will consider adding advertising, if that is not enough of a revenue stream we will simply shut the forum down.

To stay upfront in all of this, there will be some perks offered to those that choose to help fund the cause, we just haven't figured out what they will be, because if we have no interest in donations we would just be wasting our time setting them up. Your donation will not give you any rights towards how the site is run or to the staff. I will also add that if you folks are generous and what we receive exceeds $3900.00 in a year, the excess will be donated to White Sox Charities through the Windy City Sox Fans, and that includes what contributions the staff makes.

I need a guage in interst from you folks before we can make the next move.

asindc
08-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I have been wondering how this great site was being supported financially. I don't mind some advertising from organizations that are consistent with the mission of this site, which is to support the White Sox without reservation. I am also willing to directly support the cause by reaching into my pocket.

As someone who lives outside Chicagoland, I love being able to come here and talk Sox baseball. Let's keep this going! :smile: Here's to the administrators and others who have kept it going through the years!:gulp:

LongLiveFisk
08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't mind seeing advertising up here at all if it will help you guys out. Plenty of other sites are going that route, so nobody should fault WSI for the same.

As far as contributions from the members here, I was wondering why we haven't been able to purchase memberships. The last couple of years when I click onto "memberships", it is old information (2006, I think). Shouldn't this be updated so people can contribute that way?

It's Dankerific
08-02-2008, 10:22 PM
The next time I talk to BA, I'll get you some cash for the site.

In all seriousness, things I like to do are rarely free. I would gladly contribute.

Michelle
08-02-2008, 10:31 PM
The last couple of years when I click onto "memberships", it is old information (2006, I think). Shouldn't this be updated so people can contribute that way?
Probably, but we never got around to updating it. Our forum software actually has a membership program built in, which is something that used to be a major hack. It may be worth utilizing that feature.

When West had the hosting company, it was easier to absorb the cost of WSI in the business. But since he sold it, it's now all out-of-pocket. WSI is massive and takes a dedicated server to run, especially when we have up to 700 members online at once. No shared hosting plan would have us :D:

Fortunately, West is an experienced server admin. It's one thing to have a dedicated server, but most sites have to pay for the service of having someone administrate and maintain it. Security is a huge issue.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Many sites have advertising and it doesn't make the site bad. You noted that you have always been adverse to allowing advertising, why? Will the advertisers have input on content, how and who runs the site , layout of site etc. ? I would think that obtaining advertising is the prudent means to obtain the revenue to run the site. You will have a known and constant source of revenue to maintain your operating costs rather than promises.

Zisk77
08-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Adds are on the other site i frequent and its no biggy.

Daver
08-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Many sites have advertising and it doesn't make the site bad. You noted that you have always been adverse to allowing advertising, why? Will the advertisers have input on content, how and who runs the site , layout of site etc. ? I would think that obtaining advertising is the prudent means to obtain the revenue to run the site. You will have a known and constant source of revenue to maintain your operating costs rather than promises.

Michelle should answer this, but I will, advertising that pays a small portion of our costs wants the banner of every page, as well as a side bar that makes all of our pages smaller, and it takes work to incorporate them into our scheme, and they will not provide the revenue to justify the effort.

Vernam
08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd be willing to contribute, preferably via PayPal. If you go with ads also or instead, that'd be fine by me, too. This is probably a good time to thank you all for hosting and running the definitive Sox fan site. So . . . thanks!

Vernam

Michelle
08-02-2008, 10:54 PM
We're not looking for promises, just a little bit of help from those who want to contribute to the site. The decision to not use advertising isn't what's out there for discussion. There are various reasons why ads aren't always the best option, but mainly it's what puts you into the 'commercial website' category, and that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm willing to donate. Just think, it those 700 people that are online at any one time donate $0.50 per month, that would more than cover the costs. Thinking back at a fan site for my college, there were a few people that donated over $50-100 each (not everyone has that sort of money to donate, but I bet you there are a lot of people on this site who would pitch in $10 or $20 a year). I think they raised enough more for 2 or 3 years with one fundraising drive.

arKnaD7
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised this site doesn't have ads already, I'd say go with the ads.

bluestar
08-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I am definitely interested in contributing. Thanks for the site and all you do.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Michelle should answer this, but I will, advertising that pays a small portion of our costs wants the banner of every page, as well as a side bar that makes all of our pages smaller, and it takes work to incorporate them into our scheme, and they will not provide the revenue to justify the effort.

You mentioned "advertising that pays a small portion of our costs". Does this mean that advertising could only defray a portion of the cost in order to operate the site and contributions would also be needed in addition to the advertising? Or on the other hand if there was a means to obtain a larger advertising amount, the excess could be used to compensate and therefor justify the effort to change the format.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 11:07 PM
You mentioned "advertising that pays a small portion of our costs". Does this mean that advertising could only defray a portion of the cost in order to operate the site and contributions would also be needed in addition to the advertising? Or on the other hand if there was a means to obtain a larger advertising amount, the excess could be used to compensate and therefor justify the effort to change the format.Look, the bottom line is I can't afford to pay this out of my pocket anymore after 7 years. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on this site and I just can't afford to do it anymore. You have made it clear you have no interest in helping at all. Please leave this thread. You are contributing nothing. Thank you.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
We're not looking for promises, just a little bit of help from those who want to contribute to the site. The decision to not use advertising isn't what's out there for discussion. There are various reasons why ads aren't always the best option, but mainly it's what puts you into the 'commercial website' category, and that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

My suggestion is to let people know why you do not want advertising. Let everyone know about what can of worms it will open etc. If people know all the facts they will be more willing to contribute.

RadioheadRocks
08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I'd most definitely support the site with a membership.

Michelle
08-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Will the advertisers have input on content, how and who runs the site , layout of site etc. ?
Oh yeah, to answer this - yes. Sponsors can and do put many restrictions on content. There are a lot of legalities involved, and you run into conflicts of interest, etc. We're not a commercial website, we're not selling anything, and we're not trying to make money. We don't want to be a commercial website.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 11:13 PM
You have made it clear you have no interest in helping at all. Please leave this thread. You are contributing nothing. Thank you.
No, I never said that and am willing to contribute. I was trying to help, I am sorry if you took it the wrong way and appreciate all you have have done.

Michelle
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
My suggestion is to let people know why you do not want advertising. Let everyone know about what can of worms it will open etc. If people know all the facts they will be more willing to contribute.
No. People who want to contribute will do so based on their appreciation for this site, and the work that goes into it. I don't see anyone else expecting a full explanation or questioning why.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-02-2008, 11:17 PM

Yeah, I've seen that on other sites. I'd rather contribute (meant to before, I'm long overdue :redface:). If not enough folks do, I was going to say that ads were preferable to having no site -- but now, seeing that ads are so much more work/issues for y'all, and not worth it, then that's not fair either. And it sounds as though you could do the ads and still not have enough revenue.

So, sign me up for the payment plan. Well worth it.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 11:18 PM
No, I never said that and am willing to contribute. I was trying to help, I am sorry if you took it the wrong way and appreciate all you have have done.I apologize if I misunderstood. I also apologize for no longer being able to handle the cost by myself. When I owned the hosting company the costs just came out of the profits; I was basically trading labor for the server. Since I moved here and sold the hosting company it's just a charge that shows up on my credit card every month.

LongLiveFisk
08-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Probably, but we never got around to updating it. Our forum software actually has a membership program built in, which is something that used to be a major hack. It may be worth utilizing that feature.

By all means, I'd say try to allow WSI members to purchase memberships again. Obviously I don't know what's all involved in terms of complication or anything, but I really wanted to be a paying member on a yearly basis. I know you guys put a lot into this site and we members get a lot out of it, so I definitely don't want to see it go down the toilet.

Martinigirl
08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I would be happy to contribute. I love the site and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into it. Just let me know how and when.

whitesox4eva
08-02-2008, 11:23 PM
i would be willing to pay i love this site and to pay only a dollar or 2 a month is perfectly fine by me i am currently unemployed so i can not do it at this exact moment but i should be working within 2 weeks at least. also i do not use credit cards and dont like giving my information out online so if there could be an alternate way of paying other than paypal that would be very helpful.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Didn't TornLabrum have a WCSF table at Sox Fest? If that is the case, could you perhaps borrow a small portion of said table and try to sell some of your merchandise? I'd gladly help at that table if needed.

Domeshot17
08-02-2008, 11:32 PM
The Strength is in numbers. I do money for a living, but this is just simple math. Currently WSI has almost 7000 members. Lets say theres 700 regulars. If those 700 people all kicked in 5 bucks, 1 less trip a year to mcdonalds, that is 3500, or almost the entire cost. I am sure there are those of us can afford a little more, but the more people we get, the less it will cost. If 350 kick in 10 bucks it works out. Hell, if 150 people kick in 20 its 3 grand and 175 at 20 its back tot he 3500.

Another Idea I had, although Im not entirely sure how this would work, when I was in high school and college our best fundraiser was Sox Tickets. I wonder if the Powers at Be could work with Brooks or the ticket department, and maybe the next COTC 2 or 3 bucks of every ticket could be kicked into running the site. I know it differs then a high school team, but just an idea.

The last idea, and I know its something that Im sure doesn't want to be done, but if you charged everyone a 2 dollar annual membership to view the board you could be there quickly.

Sorry if these don't work, just throwing some stuff out there.

EDIT: Another thought but I have no idea how this would work, could this be tied into the WCSF, or would it mess that up because its 501c. Maybe you could do some perks like have autographs auctioned off to help defray the cost.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I apologize if I misunderstood. I also apologize for no longer being able to handle the cost by myself. When I owned the hosting company the costs just came out of the profits; I was basically trading labor for the server. Since I moved here and sold the hosting company it's just a charge that shows up on my credit card every month.

I truly understand and truly appreciate what you have been doing. My questions were never meant to smear you but to maybe give people a clearer look on the situation and why they should contribute. That was my only intention.

PatK
08-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm a member of a couple of forums, and this one pretty much has the more kick-ass features for free members- almost too good.

I would pay $20-$30 a year for this place, and think most regular posters would.

This is the only forum I go to that has free membership and allows pic posting and html, and mail between members.

It sounds harsh, but you could have levels of membership. Like non-paying members can't make threads or can't use html.

Ads isn't a bad idea, but what I've noticed is sometimes they get distracting.

dakuda
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I am going lay this out as simple facts, and let you folks help us decide what our next course of action is going to be, because it affects the entire community. This forum is free to use, but it does cost money to keep it running, since it's inception West has been kind enough to foot the bills, but this can't continue, for many different reasons that I will not go into.

We have always been adverse to allowing advertising on the forums, and we would like to have that continue, but it would mean you folks would have to be willing to donate some cash to pay the bills. The plain truth is this, WSI's dedicated server costs $325.00 dollars a month, that is $3900.00 a year, we as a staff can't pay that. We are NOT saying the staff won't kick in to help defray the costs, but we are saying if we don't have enough interest in people willing to donate to the forums, we will consider adding advertising, if that is not enough of a revenue stream we will simply shut the forum down.

To stay upfront in all of this, there will be some perks offered to those that choose to help fund the cause, we just haven't figured out what they will be, because if we have no interest in donations we would just be wasting our time setting them up. Your donation will not give you any rights towards how the site is run or to the staff. I will also add that if you folks are generous and what we receive exceeds $3900.00 in a year, the excess will be donated to White Sox Charities through the Windy City Sox Fans, and that includes what contributions the staff makes.

I need a guage in interst from you folks before we can make the next move.

Just some ideas from another forum on what those perks may be. Some are not applicable here, but ideas are ideas.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/announcement.php?f=40&a=5

Domeshot17
08-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Another idea to build on the tiered membership Pat was talking about, maybe if you don't subscribe you can't access any non category outside of the clubhouse, or even anything at all. Maybe if you don't donate 5 bucks you don't get PM or a picture sig or stuff like that.

Michelle
08-02-2008, 11:49 PM
That's kind of what we had in mind. We would rather offer back to the members some extra privileges for their contributions, like the use of avatars, bigger signatures, larger PM quotas, etc. Keep it all in the community.

I used to administrate a site bigger than WSI, and they were one of the first VB's to implement a membership program. They had 3 levels of membership; Bronze, Silver and Gold - $10 / $20 / $30 respectively, with varying degrees of privileges. They also had an option to donate extra money at any time, for whatever reason, or purchase a membership for someone else as a gift. It worked out pretty well, and they're still using it to this day.

Woofer
08-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I've been enjoying this site since around 2003. I would be glad to help out with a yearly membership donation if necessary.

Frontman
08-02-2008, 11:53 PM
As a moderator on another site, I now how rough it is to keep a site (especially one with all the features that WSI offers) up and running.

Put me down for donating as well.

But one idea that I could throw out there that you might consider that we have over on our site is that we do have ads. If you donate, you don't see them. (How that works, I have ZERO clue.) But its a good motivator to get folks to donate.

Granted, there will always be the guys who will now scream "Freedom of speech" not knowing what exactly that means in relation to paying for bandwith........

Begin eyerolling......now. :rolleyes:

Michelle
08-02-2008, 11:56 PM
But one idea that I could throw out there that you might consider that we have over on our site is that we do have ads. If you donate, you don't see them. (How that works, I have ZERO clue.) But its a good motivator to get folks to donate.
Basically, we havenít been operating this site for 8 years without considering the option of advertising. Obviously, we have opted not to go this route, and really donít want to start now, it's a pain in the ass. It takes a LOT of work to administrate this stuff. There are a LOT of restrictions, and it opens you up to a lot of legal issues that we donít have the time nor inclination to deal with at this point in our lives. This is a hobby site, not a fulltime job.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I love this site and truly appreciate all the work that members like FarWest put in. Shouldn't have to be on the hook for the cost too. I'll be happy to donate.

MotownSports has advertising and I think it does clutter the site, not to mention all the issues (legal, etc.) others have brought up.

Rocky Soprano
08-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I love this place and can't imagine losing it. Put me down for a donation.
I would hate to see ads because I feel they take away from the site itself, but if it is something that must happen to keep this place running then we will all live with it.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of having some type of tiered membership levels.

Thanks to all of you that WORK to keep this place running, especially to those that financially support this site.

BarbG
08-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I would be more than happy to contribute.

Domeshot17
08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Platinum members could get a party with a timberwolf PiŮata

bnlfanmatt
08-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Possibly moving away from Chicago in the next years time, and I'd hate to lose this site. Even if I stay here I want it. Put me down for contribution.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Of course, you know I'm in.

TDog
08-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Basically, we havenít been operating this site for 8 years without considering the option of advertising. Obviously, we have opted not to go this route, and really donít want to start now, it's a pain in the ass. It takes a LOT of work to administrate this stuff. There are a LOT of restrictions, and it opens you up to a lot of legal issues that we donít have the time nor inclination to deal with at this point in our lives. This is a hobby site, not a fulltime job.

I can think of a lot of good reasons to avoid advertising, although advertisersused to pay my salary. I wouldn't even want to be involved in selling advertising.

I came to WSI when I lived in Wisconsin and enjoyed the community of White Sox fans. In Alaska, I would have been lost without it. My World Series memories have nothing to do with television. I had Jon Miller and Joe Morgan on the radio and the WSI chatroom for Games 1 and 2 and the last two innings of Game 4. With WSI, you can always enjoy the company of White Sox fans. However irritating that can be at times, it beats being surrounded by A's fans or Cubs fans, as I was in Alaska.

I've always wondered how this site could exist without the obtrusive advertising. I've always respected WSI as an extreme labor of love. Certainly this forum is good enough to pay to be a part of.

ma-gaga
08-03-2008, 12:44 AM
I like coming here for a multiple of reasons, the main reason is the fans. This site can't be beat. I also like that this site is 'classic' and devoid of the garbage advertising littered across the internet landscape. I hate the way the pages are laid out at Motown Sports (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=63276). Anything to avoid that would be desirable.

I'm on board with the membership drive, ~$20 a year is cool.

How much is that in Canadian?

:cool:

jcw218
08-03-2008, 12:44 AM
As has been stated before in this thread, I enjoy the site and would hate to see it go. I have been meaning to make a donation for a long time but just have not gotten around to doing so. I would not be opposed to making a donation to help keen this site going. I would like to say THANKS to all those who make this site go.

TommyJohn
08-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I will be happy to make a donation.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2008, 01:28 AM
I would have no problem at all making a donation, but I honestly don't think asking for donations will work. As someone figured out, the bill could be paid if all regulars gave $5. In reality, there is no way that anything close to all those members will pay. People will post in this thread saying they will pay, but they won't.

This site might get enough in donations for several months due in large part to a handful of very generous posters, but I just don't think it will be able to make it long term on people giving money. However, the site may have become big enough where even 10% of posters giving a little money would pay for it all. Then again, I imagine the more posters and viewers, the more bandwidth and higher the bill. I don't know. I hope the donation system works, but if it doesn't I wouldn't mind paying for a membership.

soxfanreggie
08-03-2008, 01:34 AM
This may be something we want to consider:

For college athletics, we have several "foundations". We have a booster club that does stuff for the entire athletic department and all the sports, and then some that are for individual sports.

What about the (unofficial) WSI Foundation. Charter it with two goals: 1) pay for hosting the site. 2) A percentage of funds taken in over the cost get split between a pot for next year and a pot for charity. Just like our booster clubs have different levels: coach, all-american, legend, etc., we could have the same: All-Star, MVP, Hall of Famer, Legend (or whatever). We could also do some fundraisers, simply: if you have season tickets, donate 1 game (like 2 tickets) at the beginning of the year, and have an "auction" for those tickets. You could also do a "basket" sale where you put together a basket of White Sox goodies and they can be auctioned off. We have people do this. One year there was a baseball basket with a jersey, 2 sets of 4 tickets for games, and other assorted team stuff in the basket.

We appreciate everything the people on the "systems" (IT) side do and have done to keep this place running. Now is a chance for us finance geeks to pitch in. I've seen 2 sites raise money to help fees. I think each site raised more than $1 per member. For WSI, that would be almost $6,700...pretty much a big chunk of two years of hosting.

ilsox7
08-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Tell me where to send the check or PayPal and what the amount needed is.

QCIASOXFAN
08-03-2008, 01:35 AM
I have no problem ponying up 10 or 20 bucks.

kruzer31
08-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Count me in for a donation or to sign up for an annual membership fee. As for ads or sponsors how about trying to get Grandstand as a sponsor or triple threat sports in mokena. Maybe if there is an annual membership fee for users and if those two stores are ads the members could recieve special discounts to be used in purchasing Sox related merchandise from their stores. Either way, I am willing to contribue a monetary amount to the site to keep it going.

Jeff, Chicago

mark2olson
08-03-2008, 02:12 AM
That's kind of what we had in mind. We would rather offer back to the members some extra privileges for their contributions, like the use of avatars, bigger signatures, larger PM quotas, etc. Keep it all in the community.

I used to administrate a site bigger than WSI, and they were one of the first VB's to implement a membership program. They had 3 levels of membership; Bronze, Silver and Gold - $10 / $20 / $30 respectively, with varying degrees of privileges. They also had an option to donate extra money at any time, for whatever reason, or purchase a membership for someone else as a gift. It worked out pretty well, and they're still using it to this day.

I good idea, I would think, to have tiered memberships with privileges increasing commensurately with the amount of the donation. I would make it a yearly fee.

Count me in for supporting WSI through a membership or contribution.

IlliniSox4Life
08-03-2008, 02:13 AM
To answer the question, I absolutely have NO problem chipping in to pay for this site. The money I have saved getting decent tickets at face value through the ticket exchange would more than pay for my share. Not to mention the value gained from the discussions and entertainment (which is really the biggest benefit, but hardest to quantify) on the rest of the board.

However right now I am a college grad with bills who just got a job doing misc stuff at an Irish pub, so I couldn't help out in the next few weeks. Within a month or so though, I could throw a few bones West's way. As the weeks or months go on I could help out a bit more.

The Strength is in numbers. I do money for a living, but this is just simple math. Currently WSI has almost 7000 members. Lets say theres 700 regulars. If those 700 people all kicked in 5 bucks, 1 less trip a year to mcdonalds, that is 3500, or almost the entire cost. I am sure there are those of us can afford a little more, but the more people we get, the less it will cost. If 350 kick in 10 bucks it works out. Hell, if 150 people kick in 20 its 3 grand and 175 at 20 its back tot he 3500.

Another Idea I had, although Im not entirely sure how this would work, when I was in high school and college our best fundraiser was Sox Tickets. I wonder if the Powers at Be could work with Brooks or the ticket department, and maybe the next COTC 2 or 3 bucks of every ticket could be kicked into running the site. I know it differs then a high school team, but just an idea.

The last idea, and I know its something that Im sure doesn't want to be done, but if you charged everyone a 2 dollar annual membership to view the board you could be there quickly.

Sorry if these don't work, just throwing some stuff out there.

EDIT: Another thought but I have no idea how this would work, could this be tied into the WCSF, or would it mess that up because its 501c. Maybe you could do some perks like have autographs auctioned off to help defray the cost.

Some of these ideas are tough because you run into legal issues with being classified as charities. The ideas are good though, and I think it's just a matter of executing it the right way. An idea I could see working though is something along the lines of a CotC, but instead of doing the Patio Party, we tailgate and get members to donate the food and cook it. That way if you have people paying $50, $20 or so goes to the ticket, $10 or so goes to offset some of the food costs, and then the extra $20 goes to the site. However exactly you'd want to set it up could be altered a bit, but I think the concept could work.

rookie
08-03-2008, 02:15 AM
Count me in on contributing. It's so nice not to have ads. A yearly contribution would be no big deal. Just let us know when and where.

ChiSoxFan7
08-03-2008, 02:46 AM
I know that some people have a connection within the whitesox organization, so i was thinking maybe you could talk to them and ask for a donation matching or something in turn for them being allowed to have a direct link to their site/charities.... I know this wasn't you were looking for but kind of just throwing an idea out there just in case it hasn't been brought up before

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2008, 04:50 AM
This is a great site and I would be lost without it since I dont live in the Chicago area anymore.
I would be willing to pay a yearly membership, $10 to $20 seems about right. Just tell me where to mail the check.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-03-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm more than happy to purchase a membership.

Frontman
08-03-2008, 06:40 AM

No wonder our site admin over there can get stressed. I didn't realise there was that many legal manueverings involved.

So, definately put me down for donations.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Thank you very much to West and Michelle for paying for this sandbox in which so many of us play (and some of us poop). Thank you also to the admins and mods for scooping out the poop, and keeping out the rabid trolls.

Please let me know when you start accepting paid memberships and/or donations. I want to help.

aprild
08-03-2008, 08:33 AM
As a lifelong Sox fan now living outside the Chicago area, this site has been a lifeline for me. I am more than happy to donate. Just let me know when, where and how. Thanks for everything that you do.

SoxGirl4Life
08-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Count me in for donations or tiered memberships. I think someone suggested that.

And thanks to everyone who runs this site and has committed so much time, effort and money for Sox fans.

A. Cavatica
08-03-2008, 08:54 AM
I'd pay.

roylestillman
08-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Tell me where to send the check

Region Rat
08-03-2008, 09:19 AM
I found this site in May 2005 and have been hooked ever since. I would hate to see it go away, or changed at all by advertisers. Count me in for making a small payment.

MarySwiss
08-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I belong to various associations and organizations, and this is the only membership I have that is free. It's also the one that I get the most pleasure from. I would be pleased to help support it--annual fee, semiannual, or whatever you decide.

You guys sometimes kid around about how much money you make running this thing, but I think most of us really appreciate the hard work you do and don't say it often enough.

Just tell me where to send the check.

kevingrt
08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I'd much rather pay then get advertising on this website. I think you guys could get the $4000 server costs defrayed with some of the dedicated members here. I would hope so at least.

Like Mary, tell me the e-mail address to send some money through PayPal and I will be all over it. And guarentee me I won't get put in the penalty box anymore. Kidding, well sort of.

JohnTucker0814
08-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I would be willing to contribute on a monthly basis to keep this site up and running and AD FREE! If we could just get 40 "prime members" to donate $10 on a monthy re-accuring charge you could cover your cost. I'd definately be the first to join and pay my $10 per month...

I don't know if this has been said in the previous posts, because I didn't take the time to read...

I love this site and will do as much that is needed to keep it how it looks today!

John

Brian26
08-03-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd prefer to not see any advertisements on the site. I'd be more than happy to contribute for the years of entertainment.

voodoochile
08-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I'd much rather pay then get advertising on this website. I think you guys could get the $4000 server costs defrayed with some of the dedicated members here. I would hope so at least.

Like Mary, tell me the e-mail address to send some money through PayPal and I will be all over it. And guarentee me I won't get put in the penalty box anymore. Kidding, well sort of.

I realize you were joking, well sort of, but this is a point that needs to be addressed. People who donate will not be allowed to violate the rules of the site. If you donate and then decide to make an ass out of yourself, you will be treated just like the people who haven't donated. We feel the rules which have been adjusted in the last year to be less strict and more forgiving are fair.

Making a donation won't give you the right to violate the basic rules the site runs on nor to dictate what those rules should be.

Michelle
08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I can think of a lot of good reasons to avoid advertising

I also like that this site is 'classic' and devoid of the garbage advertising littered across the internet landscape. I hate the way the pages are laid out at Motown Sports (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=63276). Anything to avoid that would be desirable.

I'd much rather pay then get advertising on this website.

The other issue I have with running ads is that of security. You really have to research the advertising networks you sign up with. Have you ever visited a site and got hit with some obnoxious ads, then all of a sudden you start getting pop-ups when youíre not even on that website? Thatís because some of them embed cookie tracking toolkits to exploit a vulnerability in the userís browser. I know most of us use browsers with built-in security, but thereís new exploits out every day, and it only takes one to slip through the cracks. Itís just not worth putting everyone at risk for the bit of money that it generates.

Thanks everyone for your support. It's going to take a few weeks to get things set up, especially with West and I moving in a couple weeks. But like Daver said, we wanted to gauge the interest and overall feel from the membership. This thread speaks volumes :cool:

RoobarbPie
08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I'd rather donate some cash then see ads on this site. I love that this board has no ads. Just let me know where to donate.

Palehose Pete
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Seems like any membership fees would be pretty nominal. Also, like someone said before, most things that I like to do cost money, so I'm willing to pay for this site, too.

Ads would be fine, too.

DaveIsHere
08-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I am more than willing to Donate/Join(membership)

I couple years ago I remeber a few people asking about donating or becoming a member.

Count me in to donate or join. No advertisements. I think there are more than enough of us to toss in a few bucks.

I would be more than happy to throw money at you guys just to make up for the past few years of use.

Hitmen77
08-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Count me in as willing to donate. I think this site is great and I appreciate the fact that West has put in a bunch of his own money into it. I agree that the burden should be shared.

I'd much rather have members contribute than have annoying ads. But, if it came down to ads or shutting down, I'd take the ads.

doublem23
08-03-2008, 10:02 AM
PM me your address, West, and I'll mail you my credit card. :cool:

Seriously, though, I am in.

oeo
08-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm in. Not sure about how much every month, but I'll do what I can.

all*star quentin
08-03-2008, 10:13 AM
count me in.
While it looks like I'm new @ WSI...I finally registered.
Really like this site and would gladly become a paying member.

#1swisher
08-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Where do I send $$.

spawn
08-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I'll donate. Do you guys take PayPal?

russ99
08-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Honestly, this site is a better source for Sox info than the daily papers, so absolutely I'm in for a membership.

Keep up the great work, guys.

Michelle
08-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Where do I send $$.

I'll donate. Do you guys take PayPal?

Once we get everything set up, we'll post again with all the details :cool:

soxfan26
08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I would certainly contribute.

Mohoney
08-03-2008, 11:50 AM
If there is a PayPal option set up, I'll donate.

Crede_Fan
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Would be willing to donate.

Frankfan4life
08-03-2008, 12:07 PM

We're not looking for promises, just a little bit of help from those who want to contribute to the site. The decision to not use advertising isn't what's out there for discussion. There are various reasons why ads aren't always the best option, but mainly it's what puts you into the 'commercial website' category, and that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.I think you've made it clear that ads are not an option. Thank goodness!!! I detest ads in any way shape or form. It would change the look and feel of this Board and I like the Board just the way it is.

I've been coming to this Board as a part of my White Sox experience long before I registered so I will be happy to become a regular contributor. Adding a Paypal option would be a plus. WSI is one of the best (if not the best) message boards in sports. Please accept my heartfelt thanks for all the hard work and sacrifices you have made to make it possible for us to continue to indulge in all things White Sox. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs153.gif

kevingrt
08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I realize you were joking, well sort of, but this is a point that needs to be addressed. People who donate will not be allowed to violate the rules of the site. If you donate and then decide to make an ass out of yourself, you will be treated just like the people who haven't donated. We feel the rules which have been adjusted in the last year to be less strict and more forgiving are fair.

Making a donation won't give you the right to violate the basic rules the site runs on nor to dictate what those rules should be.

Completely agree and understand. The only one that can violate rules here is FWC. And obviously the better half.

chisoxfan83
08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I would be in favor of donating or paying for a yearly membership. This is my favorite site to log on to!

Over By There
08-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I've wondered periodically over the last few years how the whole tab for this site was being picked up... to the point that, like others, I have gone to the donation page to try to help out.

Long way of saying, I will contribute. Just let the group know the details (PayPal would be great). Thanks to West, Michelle, and everyone who makes this one of the most pleasant communities on the internet. After checking my email, it's my first stop every day.

UofCSoxFan
08-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I've seen other sites where paying memebers do not see adds whereas nonpaying members would see the ads Would this be something that couldbe considered?

I fully understand that this site needs to be paid for (and frankly I didn't know how it was free and free of advertising for so long) but for people that wouldn't really mind the ads, in lieu of occuring another expense it would be a nice option.

turners56
08-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm up for it. So is this going to be like a premium thing through VBPlaza?

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I'd be willing to buy a membership; I've always been amazed that ads were not part of this. That said, seeing them wouldn't make me frequent any less.

southside rocks
08-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I'll definitely contribute to the maintenance costs, whether through a membership or some other way that you devise. I also would like to have PayPal as a payment option if possible.

Chrisaway
08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Put me down as a potential contributor. I love this site.

Gavin
08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Perfectly ok with chipping in, though not opposed to advertising and would prefer it.

If you don't want advertisements and prefer that users instead of advertisers pay for the website, then make it clear. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to operate a White Sox message board....

Vienna
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Targeted ads would be acceptable. I would also contribute to the site as well, especially through a secure cc or paypal option.

October26
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Just read this thread today. Yes, I am willing to support the ongoing costs of maintaining WSI. This is a wonderful website and I would like to thank all who make it possible.

Count me in as one of those who would be willing to pay for membership.

Tragg
08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm certainly happy to donate; I did a few years ago, but I think yall discontinued that program.

I would not leave it as an open "donation". Charge a fee or suggest a specific dollar amount of donation.

Daver
08-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Perfectly ok with chipping in, though not opposed to advertising and would prefer it.

If you don't want advertisements and prefer that users instead of advertisers pay for the website, then make it clear. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to operate a White Sox message board....

The object of this thread is to see if there is enough interest from the members to make advertising necessary or not, period.

I have begun to research ad income, and the work involved in collecting it, my initial reaction to it would be to shut this place down.

MarySwiss
08-03-2008, 02:19 PM

I think it's been made perfectly clear...and I'd rather contribute than deal with ads.

And why the attitude? No one's making anyone post on a White Sox message board either.

southside rocks
08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll pay extra, or a higher rate, to keep this place ad-free.

NU Nish 13
08-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Would be happy to chip in. Can't imagine what following White Sox baseball would be without it.

tebman
08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, I would happily become a member. When the "2005 WSI Supporter" was made available a few years ago, I contributed to that and would do it again.

I'm glad the mods raised this question because we as users simply don't know what's involved in the overhead for a site like this. Some useful suggestions have already been posted but the simplest is probably the best.

Count me in.

:cheers:

Gavin
08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I have begun to research ad income, and the work involved in collecting it, my initial reaction to it would be to shut this place down.

That's completely understandable. I own several websites and I definitely know they don't pay for themselves.

Gavin
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I think it's been made perfectly clear...and I'd rather contribute than deal with ads.

And why the attitude? No one's making anyone post on a White Sox message board either.

There's no attitude, I'm just more tolerant of internet marketing. The same reason I'm OK with ads on the CTA Red Line instead of paying a dollar more for my fare.

manders_01
08-03-2008, 02:27 PM
No ads please. West, Michelle and the mods have made this IMO the best site on the net I'd happily pay to be a member.

Gavin
08-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I post sporadically at a NCSU forum where "premium" members (those who pay a small amount for their membership) don't have to see ads. That seems to be a happy medium, don't you think?

beckett21
08-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd be more than happy to pay for an annual membership if that is the solution. Seems very reasonable to me. I also wouldn't be opposed to an automatic renewal option if that helps keep things running smoothly.

This is my favorite site on the web--hands down, and it's not even close. I check it at some point almost every day, whether or not I am able to or in the mood to post.

Thank you for hosting such a great site.

Cuck the Fubs
08-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd be happy to contribute.

markopat
08-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Another idea to build on the tiered membership Pat was talking about, maybe if you don't subscribe you can't access any non category outside of the clubhouse, or even anything at all. Maybe if you don't donate 5 bucks you don't get PM or a picture sig or stuff like that.

The clubhouse is the primary reason I come to the site. I would donate, preferably via PayPal. What are we talking about? Like $10-20? The nice thing about making this a membership is that the single poster, "other team" smarty pants and spammers will be pretty much eliminated.

I have been reading this site for about 5 years and greatly appreciate all you have done.

I'm in.

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
West & co.

Firstly, I'd definitely be willing to donate to keep this site running. Best White Sox site by far.

Secondly, why didn't you guys let us all know earlier? If you're spending that much money to keep the site going you should have asked for some help. I don't think there's any poster here that, if they have the funds, would be against helping you guys out.

Thirdly, what's wrong with advertising? You guys have all done a tremendous job keeping this site up, and I'm not just saying that to suck up either. Every time I want to go to this site I'm able to, and you guys always catch the trolls quickly and ban them. For the job you all do, you guys should be able to make a little bit of extra money. You all deserve it.

Fourthly, I'd like to make ONE simple suggestion: all donors can supply their own email addys regardless of terms. I've had problems with the no yahoo or gmail accounts before, and I lost my old account as Usernameblank because of it. I had this old one that I still can use because thankfully I found the thing written down somewhere a long time ago, but I think donors should be able to use any email addy they like. I know you guys like to ban the free email addresses because of trolling issues, but for some regulars (like me) we just happen to use the yahoo and gmail addresses regularly, so I hope some accommodations can be made. As far as special treatments go as far as donors, I don't see the need for you guys to do anything special. As a member of Soxtalk and former member of some other site I forget, this is the best Sox site out there (no disrespect meant to other sites) just because it is always available and the mods do their jobs very well (even though I've been banned a few times).

Anyway, I think the charity thing is very noble but I still think you guys should look to make some profit off it because the amount of time that is spent on keeping WSI running like we all expect it to run has to be like another job, so whatever you guys can make you deserve to make. I'd be in favor of a program that allows you to make money off of donations and advertising, and you could donate however much you see fit.

MarySwiss
08-03-2008, 03:22 PM
West & co.

Anyway, I think the charity thing is very noble but I still think you guys should look to make some profit off it because the amount of time that is spent on keeping WSI running like we all expect it to run has to be like another job, so whatever you guys can make you deserve to make. I'd be in favor of a program that allows you to make money off of donations and advertising, and you could donate however much you see fit.
I agree with this. If not a profit, you should at least be able to recoup your expenses.

Daver
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
West & co.

Firstly, I'd definitely be willing to donate to keep this site running. Best White Sox site by far.

Secondly, why didn't you guys let us all know earlier? If you're spending that much money to keep the site going you should have asked for some help. I don't think there's any poster here that, if they have the funds, would be against helping you guys out.

Thirdly, what's wrong with advertising? You guys have all done a tremendous job keeping this site up, and I'm not just saying that to suck up either. Every time I want to go to this site I'm able to, and you guys always catch the trolls quickly and ban them. For the job you all do, you guys should be able to make a little bit of extra money. You all deserve it.

Fourthly, I'd like to make ONE simple suggestion: all donors can supply their own email addys regardless of terms. I've had problems with the no yahoo or gmail accounts before, and I lost my old account as Usernameblank because of it. I had this old one that I still can use because thankfully I found the thing written down somewhere a long time ago, but I think donors should be able to use any email addy they like. I know you guys like to ban the free email addresses because of trolling issues, but for some regulars (like me) we just happen to use the yahoo and gmail addresses regularly, so I hope some accommodations can be made. As far as special treatments go as far as donors, I don't see the need for you guys to do anything special. As a member of Soxtalk and former member of some other site I forget, this is the best Sox site out there (no disrespect meant to other sites) just because it is always available and the mods do their jobs very well (even though I've been banned a few times).

We have no interest in making any profit off the site, we never have, we do it because we are White Sox fans.

If you want your e-mail changed, e-mail me and I will change it for you, you could have done that with your previous username. There is a reason we restrict the e-mail address you register with.

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
We have no interest in making any profit off the site, we never have, we do it because we are White Sox fans.

If you want your e-mail changed, e-mail me and I will change it for you, you could have done that with your previous username. There is a reason we restrict the e-mail address you register with.
I did that before via PM but never got an answer. I thought that was because you didn't like me :whiner:

Sending it now...

Edit: I just tried and it says I can't because you have chosen not to receive PM's from me. What did I do wrong??? I'm not perfect you know...

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I'd be more than happy to pay for an annual membership if that is the solution. Seems very reasonable to me. I also wouldn't be opposed to an automatic renewal option if that helps keep things running smoothly.

This is my favorite site on the web--hands down, and it's not even close. I check it at some point almost every day, whether or not I am able to or in the mood to post.

Thank you for hosting such a great site.
Completely agree.

For someone that checks alternative/foreign news sites as opposed to your typical US sites like cnn.com and the like, I find WSI very useful for things outside of baseball. I've been able to find out about current events faster through WSI than elsewhere because as soon as there's a major article out about something it seems like there's a post in the parking lot about it.

Anyway, WSI rules. My fav site on the web.

MarySwiss
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I did that before via PM but never got an answer. I thought that was because you didn't like me :whiner:

Sending it now...

Edit: I just tried and it says I can't because you have chosen not to receive PM's from me. What did I do wrong??? I'm not perfect you know...

Try e-mailing him. That should work.

MUsoxfan
08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
I've felt guilty the past few years not being able to contribute $$ when I spend as much time as I do on this site. I'm in at your highest contribution level.

Daver
08-03-2008, 03:50 PM

Sending it now...

I despise PM's.

daver@whitesoxinteractive.com

Boondock Saint
08-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I despise PM's.

Shocking. :redneck

But in response to the original post, I love this place, and I'd be more than happy to contribute. I haven't read the entire thread, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been asked. Is sending a check to someone a viable option? I only ask because I'm unfamiliar with paypal and the like, and I'm not sure how much I do/would trust such a service.

spiffie
08-03-2008, 04:01 PM

But in response to the original post, I love this place, and I'd be more than happy to contribute. I haven't read the entire thread, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been asked. Is sending a check to someone a viable option? I only ask because I'm unfamiliar with paypal and the like, and I'm not sure how much I do/would trust such a service.
So you trust the US postal service and a $7/hr bank teller with your financial information?

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 04:06 PM

PayPal is easy to set up and the best way of doing business online IMO. Just go to their site and set an account up.

Edit: you can use your PayPal account for matters other than this BTW. You can use it for almost any online transaction, especially when dealing with a small business. So, it will prove to be useful.

MarySwiss
08-03-2008, 04:10 PM

So you trust the US postal service and a $7/hr bank teller with your financial information?

Sorry, spiffie; I'm with Boondock on this. Every time I get involved in a pool or something and Paypal is even so much as mentioned, I get 27 e-mails telling me I need to update my Paypal account.
I don't have and never have had a Paypal account. :?:

Sending a check has always worked for me and is my personal preference.

Boondock Saint
08-03-2008, 04:12 PM

I know. It's just that you always hear horror stories about people losing everything because some hacker got into whatever site and stole information. In the end, I'll probably cave and use paypal because I'm a sucker for convenience and I generally cave when it comes to matters of little importance anyway. In the end, it's just about having a little more peace of mind in the matter

Optipessimism
08-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I know. It's just that you always hear horror stories about people losing everything because some hacker got into whatever site and stole information. In the end, I'll probably cave and use paypal because I'm a sucker for convenience and I generally cave when it comes to matters of little importance anyway.
Here's the thing:

PayPal lets you pay via checking account, debit, or credit. You give your info to one site and that's it. When you deal directly with several other sites then you have stuff to worry about. With just your checking account number, people can do a lot of crazy things. If you deal with one company then at least you have the peace of mind of knowing WHO is responsible should something go wrong. PayPal is simply a third party that people trust, and it makes doing business a lot easier.

viagracat
08-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Count me in; just provide the details.

I've been a member here for five years, joining at a time the Sox weren't getting any respect in Chicago, except for this site. WSI is my one bad habit. :cool:

Law11
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Setup a 'drive week" for WSI folks to make their donations. I would think you get the yearly take you need over a week
or close to it.

Id be in for a nice donation for sure.

JB98
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
If all of us regulars threw in $20 a year, that would probably be more than enough, right? And the extra would go to a good cause. I wouldn't have a problem doing that.

WSox597
08-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Let me know how much. I'm in, after all I come here every single day, win or lose.

I may not post every day, but I do manage to come here and read.

It's a great board, and deserves our support. Thanks to all who make it run.

angiew
08-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Sounds good to me. I don't post very often, but I check in and read threads and comments almost daily. I'll gladly pay $30/yr to keep on keepin' on:smile:

I'm admin on 2 sites, one political and one is a book site...I know all too well how tough it is to maintain these forums, especially one as large as this. Thanks to all of you for what you do!

Michelle
08-03-2008, 06:20 PM
The only one that can violate rules here is FWC. And obviously the better half.
Yes, I do that so often....

I'm pretty sure I made myself perfectly clear why we're not running advertisements, if you care to read my last 4-5 posts in this thread. And nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to be a member on this White Sox message board.

West & co.

There's no real reason, it's just one of those things you keep putting off because you don't have the time to deal with it. Like we said, when it was absorbed through West's hosting company, it wasn't a big deal. Now it's a $325/month charge we get billed for every month.

Frontman
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM

*ahem*

(hint, check my profile.)

barryball
08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
This site is the life-line for Sox Fans...it must live forever!!!

MeteorsSox4367
08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I'll gladly chip in a couple of bucks to keep the site going. As some other posters have said, I'd pay for membership if the option were offered. I like this site too much to see it no longer exist.

For I don't know, say $25 a year, if we could maintain membership and maybe get a WSI t-shirt out of the deal, that'd be cool.

Gavin
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
My best advice would be to sell this website if it is bringing you financial burden. Let someone else deal with making it float.

Daver
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I like coming here for a multiple of reasons, the main reason is the fans. This site can't be beat. I also like that this site is 'classic' and devoid of the garbage advertising littered across the internet landscape. I hate the way the pages are laid out at Motown Sports (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=63276). Anything to avoid that would be desirable.

I'm on board with the membership drive, ~$20 a year is cool.

How much is that in Canadian?

:cool:

We must be doing something right if a Twins fan is willing to pay to keep a White Sox site going.

Daver
08-03-2008, 07:04 PM
My best advice would be to sell this website if it is bringing you financial burden. Let someone else deal with making it float.

That is not an option.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I would have no problem with this site having advertisements. I would be extremely saddened to see this site shut down due to lack of funds.

Railsplitter
08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm willing to pay, but would prefer WSI to be more like PBS than Cable/satelite

soxinem1
08-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I would have no problem with this site having advertisements. I would be extremely saddened to see this site shut down due to lack of funds.

I'll gladly donate, especially if it eliminates the need for banners.

I like Michelle's idea about membership levels, but I'd rank them something like:

Upper Deck
Standing Room Only
Bleacher
Mezzanine
Sky Box
Box

or

All-Star
Hall of Famer
General Manager
Manager
Scout
Usher

or names of Sox Greats

Big Hurt
Pudge
Ted Lyons
Little Looie

This gives it a little flair, even fun, and an extra tag under our bylines.

SOXfnNlansing
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I've read many post on here, but I've gotten to the point that I realize everyone has to put their two cents in. West shouldn't have to do research and take more time away from his family and interests with this great hobby.

West, this is what WE should ask of you. Go down to the local post office. Open a PO box. Post on here the address and make it available to potential donors. If there is interest (I know there will be high interest), then the problem is solved.

It should be a yearly drive. I like the message in "Field of Dreams". If you build it, they will come. This is the greatest community site on Earth. WE all think so.

Mike

SOXfnNlansing
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
:kneeslap:

My bad, "Field of Dreams":redface:

manders_01
08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I like Michelle's idea about membership levels, but I'd rank them something like:

Upper Deck
Standing Room Only
Bleacher
Mezzanine
Sky Box
Box

or

All-Star
Hall of Famer
General Manager
Manager
Scout
Usher

Totally fun ideas!

FielderJones
08-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I would be happy to contribute to this quality site.

KRS1
08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
If you have problems getting people to donate out of of charity, perhaps some incentives would lure more folks in. Nothing big, but something like a monthly raffle for a piece of Sox merchandise for those who decide to become paying members. Nothing big, but a hat, bottle opener, or the like would would be cool, and it's easier/cheaper/cooler/more fun than giving out a WSI shirt to every single person.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm willing to pay, but would prefer WSI to be more like PBS than Cable/sateliteWhat, we should have 'fund drives" periodically, maybe shut down the forums for hours at a time while we make you read pleas for money?

soxfanatlanta
08-04-2008, 06:51 AM
No problem with advertising. If I can purchase a membership that hides the banners, I'd do that too.

SouthSideSoxFan
08-04-2008, 06:58 AM
I would happily contribute and would prefer some option to allow contributors to browse the site ad-free.

kraut83
08-04-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm definitely down for a yearly contribution.

I've been enjoying this site for a while now, and would prefer to keep it advertisement free if at all possible.

soxgirl617
08-04-2008, 08:01 AM
I would also happily contribute. I far prefer contributing to ads: in addition to the hassle for you to administer and deal with the companies, I find that ads continue to literally fill up the page, bit by bit: banner ads, side ads, etc. If you decide to go with ads, too, I'd prefer a membership plan that allows members to pay in order not to see ads.

I add my thanks to the others above: this is a great site, and I appreciate all the effort you go to. It is my favorite site on the web!

soxrme
08-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I have no problem with donating or ads. Just let me know!

Madvora
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
It doesn't make a difference to me what you decide to do. I'll still be coming here.
I don't get any more satisfaction out of having a large avatar or large sig or anything. I've never used that option anyway.
The benefit is just to keep the site in existence.

cws05champ
08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Count me in for a donation or yearly Membership. As others have suggested, a Paypal account would be best.

Thanks for everything...

PolishPower83
08-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm in for a contribution. This site rules!

hi im skot
08-04-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm happy to make an annual contribution.

cbone
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I would be more than willing to contribute. Michelle mentioned a tiered membership system. I think that is a very good idea. I think the number of people that would opt for the highest level of membership to help out the site would be very high. People love thier WSI!

KnightSox
08-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I'll contribute. This is pretty much the only place I go on a daily basis, it would be like a morning without coffee.

peeonwrigley
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I'd kick in.

Cat Thief
08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
No ad's please.

I have been unable to unload a bunch of tickets on this board and have met some cool people.

Count me in for a donation. $25 or $30 cool?

:nod:

jackbrohamer
08-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I would absolutely contribute. And I think charging even a nominal fee would help to keep out trolls.

sas1974
08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm in. I'd prefer the membership route.

beasly213
08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm in for donating some $$$.

After reading through this thread it seems like pretty much everyone has agreed to at least donate something even if there are no extra perks in it for them.
I think a good idea would be to put the donation option up for a couple of weeks then see where you guys are at as far as costs to see who actually will pony up the cash, then go from there. See how much money you have donated then decide if you'll have to do ads or have to charge more for membership options etc.

I think I speak from everyone on here when I declare that I <3 WSI.

pearso66
08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I would be all for donating, or making it a "pay" site where you have to pay an annual membership or something so you can post here. One added perk to the annual membership is you won't have the trolls that come over here once a month or more, aka Timberwolf, because they couldn't post. If they really wanted to post, they'd have to pay every time they came up with a new name, so it would benefit the site, and wouldn't change anything from what it is now. Even $5 for every member I'm sure would take care of the cost, as I'm sure at least 1000 of the people here would want to stay.

roylestillman
08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I've already put myself down as yes for donating (Since I consider the Sox a religion I fully plan on deducting from my taxes anyway.)

One idea floating that I don't like is prohibitting non-members from posting in some of the forums. Half the fun is when the crack-pots show up. Also non-members may know where to get a good Italian Beef. Posting should remain available to all.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I would absolutely contribute. And I think charging even a nominal fee would help to keep out trolls.

One added perk to the annual membership is you won't have the trolls that come over here once a month or more, aka Timberwolf, because they couldn't post. If they really wanted to post, they'd have to pay every time they came up with a new name...

One idea floating that I don't like is prohibitting non-members from posting in some of the forums. Half the fun is when the crack-pots show up. Also non-members may know where to get a good Italian Beef. Posting should remain available to all.

Yes, there is some element of fun to watch the trolls poop, but I'm sure it isn't fun for the mods who have to clean up all their crap in the sandbox.

I trust the mods and admins to do what's best and again, just let me know where, how and when to contribute.

Michelle
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
We're working on a tiered membership structure that I hope to be able to run past you guys in the next few days - so everyone knows what to expect.

The "Registered" default membership will remain as-is, as we don't want to take away anyone's existing privileges unless they pay (cable style). Unregistered members will be able to read but not post - that's the way it currently is and will not change.

Features will be progressively added to the 3 levels of paid membership. There are some cool new features in the lastest VB upgrade, which West will be installing this afternoon (heads-up), and those will be among the paid membership features.

To give you an idea of the added features that will be available, a few are;

Higher PM storage
Larger signature images and text
Customized profile pages
Use of Invisible Mode
Member BlogsAnd a few more goodies. There should be something for everyone :smile:

delben91
08-04-2008, 11:16 AM
I'd gladly make a donation.

Just tell me where to send it.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
No job and no school but Ill gladly scrap up whatever money is needed to keep the site alive....

Fenway
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
FWIW Google Ad Sense isn't that intrusive and the ads would be geared to a White Sox audience.

turners56
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
We're working on a tiered membership structure that I hope to be able to run past you guys in the next few days - so everyone knows what to expect.

The "Registered" default membership will remain as-is, as we don't want to take away anyone's existing privileges unless they pay (cable style). Unregistered members will be able to read but not post - that's the way it currently is and will not change.

Features will be progressively added to the 3 levels of paid membership. There are some cool new features in the lastest VB upgrade, which West will be installing this afternoon (heads-up), and those will be among the paid membership features.

To give you an idea of the added features that will be available, a few are;
Higher PM storage
Larger signature images and text
Customized profile pages
Use of Invisible Mode
Member BlogsAnd a few more goodies. There should be something for everyone :smile:

Sweet, I've had setups like this on other boards.

minutia
08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I could contribute, however I could only swing a schedule close to what aol charges a month of about $21/month. I don't want to sound cheap that is really all I can afford to commit to per month.

turners56
08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I could contribute, however I could only swing a schedule close to what aol charges a month of about $21/month. I don't want to sound cheap that is really all I can afford to commit to per month.

I'm pretty sure it won't be over $10 a month...

The point is not to overcharge so nobody can register, but to charge a good amount so almost everybody contributes.

Michelle
08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
The subscription fees will be yearly, and priced between $10 - $30 (per year).

We're just looking to defray server costs, not retire :D:

mantis1212
08-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I would be happy to contribute a fair share to keep the site running.

Thome25
08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I love this site and the die-hard White Sox fans that make up it's members. If I can, I'll donate a small amount to help keep it up and running like it should. I have to discuss it with the wife first because money is EXTREMELY tight these days. (Two small daughters and rising fuel prices contribute to that.)

I'd like to use this thread to thank West and Michelle for footing the bill for us for as long as they have. I have spent many enjoyable hours on this site which obviously wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for them. This truly is the premier White Sox and IMO sports-related website there is.

THANKS West and Michelle!! I'll gladly see what I can afford to help keep your wonderful site up and running in the capacity it should be.:D:

MisterB
08-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Use of Invisible Mode

I'd gladly pay to become invisible. :D:

Actually, invisible or not, you'll get my money. :thumbsup:

Chez
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm certainly willing to pay my share.

Railsplitter
08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
What, we should have 'fund drives" periodically, maybe shut down the forums for hours at a time while we make you read pleas for money?
No, I would want it to be open to all, not just to those who pay. I WILL PAY.

35th&Shields
08-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I'd have no problem at with advertising on the site. Seems to me it is the best way to make a profit, in fact.

PhillipsBubba
08-04-2008, 01:44 PM
What's wrong with sensible advertising choices?:scratch:

I say go for the advertising.

Now, if everyone decides against advertising, then I would be willing to kick in some dough to keep the site viable...it is fantastic and White Sox fans deserve it!:smile:

QueerGirrl
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd prefer to not see any advertisements on the site. I'd be more than happy to contribute for the years of entertainment.

Agreed. I don't post a lot but I'm here multiple times every day and I'm in for whatever you guys need.

balke
08-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I probably wouldn't pay, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the site. I wouldn't gripe about advertisements. I wouldn't care if you guys made a profit on advertisements either, as that would be added work on your end.

Really you could do both.

white sox bill
08-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Michelle and West have done enough...I've come here to play plenty of times. I'll glady donate. But do you accept $$ from part time cheeseheads who are also Viking fans?:smile:

gobears1987
08-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Remember that some users here are still in high school and don't have credit cards to pay for use of this site. I was only 16 when I started posting here and would have been unable to do so had it been a pay site.

I would be willing to pay, but I'd prefer ads.

Mickster
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I have contributed in the past and will do so in the future to keep WSI ad-free.

bigsoxfan420
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't think there is any problem with having advertising, but I would also be willing to donate some cash to keeping this awesome thing alive.

turners56
08-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't think there is any problem with having advertising, but I would also be willing to donate some cash to keeping this awesome thing alive.

Advertising on a small scale is fine. But don't you hate those sites that have popups in your face every time you click or go to a new page? I know of a site like that and it's annoying as hell.

angiew
08-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Remember that some users here are still in high school and don't have credit cards to pay for use of this site. I was only 16 when I started posting here and would have been unable to do so had it been a pay site.

Very good point, and one I hadn't thought of...:scratch:

kittle42
08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I just donated $50 to some group where I have no idea what they actually do. I think I can donate to a site that I care about.

Michelle
08-04-2008, 02:49 PM
For all the reasons mentioned in this thread, advertising will not be an option.

The subscription system will be Paypal enabled. I think you can pay via Debit with Paypal as well.

kobo
08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I love this site and would be happy to contribute to keep this place going. A board I posted on for 8 years recently closed and I don't want to lose another one!

mcp5185
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I would gladly make a donation to keep this site up and running.

Thome25
08-04-2008, 03:51 PM
For all the reasons mentioned in this thread, advertising will not be an option.

The subscription system will be Paypal enabled. I think you can pay via Debit with Paypal as well.

Michelle--With the subscription system enabled will that mean that this site is no longer free at all?

Daver
08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Michelle--With the subscription system enabled will that mean that this site is no longer free at all?

No.

Donations are voluntary, not required.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm a little strapped for cash now meself (see: flat out broke) so while I would love to contribute, that isn't really a viable option right now so I certainly wouldn't mind ads. But I am supposed to come into some money soon and when that happens, then I will be more than happy to donate!

TheCommander
08-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I would be more than happy to pay for a subscription to this site.:bandance:

ChiSox Fan 68
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't post too often but have been coming to WSI almost daily for close to 4 years. I would absolutely subscribe - I can't even imagine WSI not being around!!

Frontman
08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Know what might be a cool perk to include, guys is for donators to have access to a party or group event. Even though I rarely can make events; I still think that would be a neat perk that would cost the site zero.

minutia
08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
The subscription fees will be yearly, and priced between $10 - $30 (per year).

We're just looking to defray server costs, not retire :D:
Thanks, I just thought I should state what I could afford upfront. I understand the need for help to support the site.

MarySwiss
08-04-2008, 05:40 PM

Michelle, I don't have Paypal nor do I want it. Will there be somewhere that we can send checks, like a PO Box or something?

Daver
08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Know what might be a cool perk to include, guys is for donators to have access to a party or group event. Even though I rarely can make events; I still think that would be a neat perk that would cost the site zero.

It's not a bad idea, but for the most part we are trying to stick to things that everyone can benefit from, an outing is not a perk to someone that lives on the west coast.

MarySwiss
08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
It's not a bad idea, but for the most part we are trying to stick to things that everyone can benefit from, an outing is not a perk to someone that lives on the west coast.

Well, it can be. Although I'm not quite on the west coast, I've been to a COTC (06), a WSI Fest (07), and a Windy City Sox fans patio party (08). I actually try to plan my yearly visit around a get-together with other fans.

Brian26
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Michelle,

I'm going to send you a PM with a couple of ideas I have about different forum functions.

One thing I'd suggest we shy away from is making signatures much larger than they currently are. I frequent a couple of different message boards where there are no limits on the size or content on the sigs, and it makes it almost unbearable to to read.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Michelle, I don't have Paypal nor do I want it. Will there be somewhere that we can send checks, like a PO Box or something?

FWIW, you don't have to open a whole PayPal account to use the service. Granted, I'm not 100% sure what Michelle and West have in mind, but if it's anything like the eBay/PayPal setup, you can make a PayPal-to-PayPal account transfer if you already have an account with them, otherwise, you can just make your payment online with a credit/debit card like any other online transaction. I personally do not have a PayPal account, but I have used the service to pay for purchases from eBay in the past, and it was a breeze.

Again, I don't know what the set-up will be, and I know the risks involved with making payments over the internet, but PayPal is as good and secure as they come. I know nothing is 100% secure, but this is what they specialize in and there's a reason why they're so popular.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:uLFWVskWwprkaM:http://www.guitar.com/uploaded/profile_images/forum_2f455681_two_cents_small.jpg

Brian26
08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Again, I don't know what the set-up will be, and I know the risks involved with making payments over the internet, but PayPal is as good and secure as they come.

This is absolutely true. Also, you can sign up for paypal and only link it to your credit card. You don't have to link a bank account to it, and most people even suggest you don't. In this scenario, paypal essentially becomes a tool for you to pay people with your credit card. If a problem ever arises, you then have two safety nets in both paypal and the credit card company. If there is ever a disputed charge, most reputable credit cards companies are going to side with their customer in order to keep their business.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
You shouldn't really ever use a debit card to make a purchase online if you can help it. If someone gets a hold of that account they can wipe out your checking account before you'll know what happens. If you're using a credit card, then the worst case scenario is a maxed out credit card. Granted, that's still a huge pain in the ass, but it's much less a hassle to get your credit card restored than it is trying to live without any funds in your checking account.

Michelle
08-04-2008, 06:07 PM
We'll set up a PO Box Mary, I'll post details of that when we get it done :smile:

One thing I'd suggest we shy away from is making signatures much larger than they currently are. I frequent a couple of different message boards where there are no limits on the size or content on the sigs, and it makes it almost unbearable to to read.
That hack that we have that allows a signature image to be displayed only once per page will remain intact.

As I said earlier in the thread;

"The "Registered" default membership will remain as-is, as we don't want to take away anyone's existing privileges unless they pay (cable style). Unregistered members will be able to read but not post - that's the way it currently is and will not change."

There will just be more perks for the subscribed members, that's all.

MarySwiss
08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
FWIW, you don't have to open a whole PayPal account to use the service. Granted, I'm not 100% sure what Michelle and West have in mind, but if it's anything like the eBay/PayPal setup, you can make a PayPal-to-PayPal account transfer if you already have an account with them, otherwise, you can just make your payment online with a credit/debit card like any other online transaction. I personally do not have a PayPal account, but I have used the service to pay for purchases from eBay in the past, and it was a breeze.

Again, I don't know what the set-up will be, and I know the risks involved with making payments over the internet, but PayPal is as good and secure as they come. I know nothing is 100% secure, but this is what they specialize in and there's a reason why they're so popular.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:uLFWVskWwprkaM:http://www.guitar.com/uploaded/profile_images/forum_2f455681_two_cents_small.jpg

This is absolutely true. Also, you can sign up for paypal and only link it to your credit card. You don't have to link a bank account to it, and most people even suggest you don't. In this scenario, paypal essentially becomes a tool for you to pay people with your credit card. If a problem ever arises, you then have two safety nets in both paypal and the credit card company. If there is ever a disputed charge, most reputable credit cards companies are going to side with their customer in order to keep their business.

You shouldn't really ever use a debit card to make a purchase online if you can help it. If someone gets a hold of that account they can wipe out your checking account before you'll know what happens. If you're using a credit card, then the worst case scenario is a maxed out credit card. Granted, that's still a huge pain in the ass, but it's much less a hassle to get your credit card restored than it is trying to live without any funds in your checking account.

Thanks, guys! I do have a dedicated credit card that I use ONLY for making online purchases, so either that or the check will work.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm fairly certain money in your checking account is not insured by a bank in cases of theft like this. You may never see it again, and, if you do, it will take a long time. A credit card company (a reputable credit card company) absolutely will take care of you.

I think it depends more and more what bank you are using. I used to bank at a small, mom and pop type bank headquartered down here in Peoria (they owned the ATM's on campus) and I doubt they would have reimbursed me.

Now, Chase has my checking account and they do have some internet fraud protection, but considering how much of a hassle it was arguing with them this past winter when they mistakenly slapped me with a $10 Account Service Fee, I'm sure trying to get my checking account restored would be a nightmare.

Wow, this is getting off topic, so I'm going to stop.

It's Dankerific
08-04-2008, 06:20 PM
I think it depends more and more what bank you are using. I used to bank at a small, mom and pop type bank headquartered down here in Peoria (they owned the ATM's on campus) and I doubt they would have reimbursed me.

Now, Chase has my checking account and they do have some internet fraud protection, but considering how much of a hassle it was arguing with them this past winter when they mistakenly slapped me with a $10 Account Service Fee, I'm sure trying to get my checking account restored would be a nightmare.

Wow, this is getting off topic, so I'm going to stop.

Credit card losses are covered by Federal Law. The Feds were going to implement the same with debit cards, the companies/banks said no need for a law, we'll treat them the same.

so, its on the books for credit cards and practiced with debit cards.

In any case I do transactions with paypal alot, and I've never had an issue.

Also, my first post in this thread was on page 1 so I just want to reiterate that I'm in for whatever is needed to keep the site going.

jdm2662
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Whatever needs to be done. This site is pretty much 3/4 of my browsing. Can't really do without it. :D:

doublem23
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
so, its on the books for credit cards and practiced with debit cards.

I guess that's true, probably 99% of debit cards are now backed by a major credit card company, as well.

StillMissOzzie
08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I would be willing to make a donation.

My donation will be in small, unmarked, non-sequentially numbered bills in a brown paper bag to become a mod.

SMO
:D::tongue::gulp:

Daver
08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
If you donate money, does that mean West won't call you a scumbag for disagreeing with him? If that's the case I'll spot a hundo on behalf of a dozen or so posters right now.

:bandance:

We already know that there is a good number of deadbeats that post here, so you are already accounted for.

ebit
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm a broke college student but I think I could scrounge up 5-10 bucks for WSI.

Oblong
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
On our Motownsports board we have membership levels set up. 3 different levels in all (http://www.motownsports.com/modules.php?name=Subscriptions). It works very well with the costs. There's also ads but West and Michelle are right in that it does open up a whole new set of things they have to follow- taxes probably being one of them. With this being done on the side it can be a hassle, especially if it can't be incorporated into an existing job or company. With the VIP membership we created a subforum that they'd have access to. It's basically a free for all. Things can get rowdier in there, PG-13, borderline R rating if you will. It's whatever the VIP users want it to be. We were careful to not take anything away that the users currently have. There's also some minor things that a non VIP membe cannot do, like be invisible. But not much. I just wanted to let you know that I have first hand knowledge of how that was set up and administered since I'm a moderator there and if you have any questions about it to let me know.

As for contributing to the site, count me in. I know this isn't free. It takes a lot of effort and hassle. This is one of the best fan sites I've come across.

Law11
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Michelle,

I'm going to send you a PM with a couple of ideas I have about different forum functions.

Here, here. i dont like the huge sigs. It kills the posts.
Ours are prefect size now.

NDSox12
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd gladly donate some money if you decide to go that route. Not a big fan of ads, but if you can come up with a non-intrusive way of incorporating them, I'd be okay with that too.

Irishsoxfan
08-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Be glad to pay some sort of membership fee. It would be unfortunate if adds were introduced.

Danryan
08-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Add the ads.

aryzner
08-05-2008, 07:55 AM
I'd give some sort of money for membership or hell I'd just donate if there's a link to do that with. (Is there...?)

SoxFan78
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
I like the membership idea. How many of us have been posting on here for FREE for the past couple of years? I think each of us can give 5-20 bucks a year for all that we do on here. I would gladly give that for a membership fee then see ads all over the place.

I think that WSI has become such more then a white sox fan page. I visit every day, and would have no problem giving some back.

BRDSR
08-05-2008, 08:39 AM
I haven't read this whole thread, and I apologize that it took me a few days to respond.

I really like that there is no advertising on the site, and would gladly pay $10 a year to keep it that way. As others have poined out, we only need 350-400 people to make that happen.

I'm not sure whether this has been suggested, and it kind of falls in with the membership suggestions, but I would also gladly pay $25 for a "WSI Membership" t-shirt that cost $10 to make and $5 to ship (you get the idea). Certainly this would mean a lot of work for someone (or a few people), but it would be neat to know that there are a few hundred dedicated sox fans out there with the same shirt.

skottyj242
08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Advertising sucks. I would hope we could get roughly 160 people to each give 25 bucks to cover the four grand. I know I would donate. I can't wait until the people that bitch are just going to bitch more about advertising. Just buck up the money.

PANFIRECRACKER
08-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I'll be happy to pay a fee to use the site.

kittle42
08-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Advertising sucks. I would hope we could get roughly 160 people to each give 25 bucks to cover the four grand. I know I would donate. I can't wait until the people that bitch are just going to bitch more about advertising. Just buck up the money.

Amen.

JungleJimR
08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
No ads, and I'll gladly become a paying member.

twsoxfan5
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I am here nearly every day and I would be very willing to make a donation for sure. In fact like many others I have tried in the past to donate. I think a nice way to recognize the people who donate is just to have something on their signature. I think my sister signed up for the membership and got the pinwheel by her name. I thought that was cool.

GlassSox
08-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I love this web site and I will be glad to pay for a membership. I would not like to see this site commercialized, keep away from the ads.

Thanks for the hard work and hardships.

Taliesinrk
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks, but I wonder how this would affect the board as a whole. I wonder if advertising would be better for the whole of the community. I mean, a lot of things that happen on this board are from random people that come and post here a couple of times. Even in some instances if they're trolling, it still creates quite a buzz and livens up the place. If there were required memberships, do you think that it would become the same people with the same viewpoints and same information posting over and over again?

This is a genuine question I have - this is a great place and it'd be a shame if it changed for the worse. And thank you West for all your contributions... I didn't realize it all came from one source - that's quite a bill to foot.

mcg
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't really post much but I read WSI everyday and would be willing to pay to keep this site going.

On another forum that I used to frequent had ads and paying memberships. The ads would appear between posts (about every 5-10 posts). If you paid for a membership then you wouldn't see any ads. I don't know how easy it is to do that but I just thought I would throw the suggestion out there. The ads would generate some money and those that pay wouldn't be affected by them.

SoxRox
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I would happily put up with a few ads to keep WSI up and running.

Keep up the good work.

-SoxRox

palehozenychicty
08-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I'd be fine with advertising or any membership fees. Thanks for the solid work.

Jerome
08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
go with the ads. that's a lot of $$.

ode to veeck
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM

you folks can't seem to read, the gracious folks who put on this website are not going down that path as it's a pain the ass

Jeesh I go to Texas for a few days and WSI is talking about going away

Put me down for the premium membership

Daver
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM

Actually, no it isn't when you factor in the work you put in to actually make anything, that and the fact that we would be subject to paying taxes as a commercial site.

We have ruled out advertising as an option, if the membership funding turns out to not be able to pay the hosting cost we will probably just shut the forums down.

IronFisk
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm willing to contribute if providing ads turns out to be too tedious on the mods. From what I'm reading, many wouldn't mind a membership fees - would certainly keep out the riff-raff.

Dirty30
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I havenít posted at all, so this is my first post, but I have read these boards A LOT, even before I joined here. I would gladly pay a membership fee to keep this site running, just let me know how much, and I will have no problem paying that!

Keep up the GREAT work guys!

hula
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd be happy to pay a membership fee for all the work and come to find out out of pocket expense it has become to keep this up and running. This is a fantastic forum and although I don't post much, I enjoy coming to it to read and get tuned in on all the latest.

I'm wondering if a "tiered" membership might exclude people who can't afford all the bells and whistles, kinda like people who can only afford the upper deck at a Sox game and then don't get to see all the cool things the park has to offer. Is a flat fee out of the question?

MarySwiss
08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
you folks can't seem to read, the gracious folks who put on this website are not going down that path as it's a pain the ass

Jeesh I go to Texas for a few days and WSI is talking about going away

Put me down for the premium membership

Seriously!

Actually, no it isn't when you factor in the work you put in to actually make anything, that and the fact that we would be subject to paying taxes as a commercial site.

We have ruled out advertising as an option, if the membership funding turns out to not be able to pay the hosting cost we will probably just shut the forums down.
Seems clear enough.

I'd be happy to pay a membership fee for all the work and come to find out out of pocket expense it has become to keep this up and running. This is a fantastic forum and although I don't post much, I enjoy coming to it to read and get tuned in on all the latest.

I'm wondering if a "tiered" membership might exclude people who can't afford all the bells and whistles, kinda like people who can only afford the upper deck at a Sox game and then don't get to see all the cool things the park has to offer. Is a flat fee out of the question?

I could be wrong, but I read this thread as a feeler to see where members stood. Other than a few posters, everyone seems to want to contribute somehow.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what West and Michelle come up with as an action plan. I doubt they plan on trying to exclude anyone, with the possible exception of the various trolls who post here.

fram40
08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I love this web site and I will be glad to pay for a membership. I would not like to see this site commercialized, keep away from the ads.

Thanks for the hard work and hardships.

I agree whole heartedly.

I love the site I seldom post but I lurk alot I would certainly kick in at least twenty bucks a year for the privilege of continuing to read regularly and contribute the occassional post

But if you decide to go the commercialization/ad route, I will still read regularly and post occassionally.

I love the White Sox and this is by far the best fan site out there.

Marqhead
08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Count me in.

Thanks for all the hard work!

stillz
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I'd subscribe if need be. This site rules. Thx to all the staff for making it hum along...

Number 9
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
It is a great site and I'd very willingly contribute to keep it up and running. Quite honestly I never gave much thought to all that was necessary to keep it running. Sorry, but I'm very appreciative of all the effort, especially the financial aspect. Thanks, and count me in!

Bucky F. Dent
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm in.

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2008, 12:57 AM
I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks, but I wonder how this would affect the board as a whole. I wonder if advertising would be better for the whole of the community. I mean, a lot of things that happen on this board are from random people that come and post here a couple of times. Even in some instances if they're trolling, it still creates quite a buzz and livens up the place. If there were required memberships, do you think that it would become the same people with the same viewpoints and same information posting over and over again?

This is a genuine question I have - this is a great place and it'd be a shame if it changed for the worse. And thank you West for all your contributions... I didn't realize it all came from one source - that's quite a bill to foot.It seems that, with all the posts to wade through, this is a point that people are missing, so it needs to be said over again periodically.

There is no plan to require membership. No one will lose any privileges. If you don't donate, you'll continue on exactly as you are now. Those who donate will get some small extra privileges which don't currently exist; not big things, just a small "thanks" for helping keep the place up and running.

I know I pay far more my magazine subscriptions than is being discussed here, and I get a lot more out of WSI than I do out of any of the magazines.

Jerome
08-06-2008, 02:50 AM

I'm sorry, I meant the cost of running the site was a lot of $$, and because costs are so high I would happily put up with ads

Frontman
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM

So, you're ruling out ads, is that it?

Actually, kudos to you guys for making a game plan and sticking to it. Far too many sites immediately go "We need ad revenue" and will never consider other options or opportunities.

As the fight song goes, "We're with you all the way."

Michelle
08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks again everyone for your input. It's going to take a few weeks to put this all into place (especially since we're moving in 2 weeks and I still haven't started packing) :mg:

The board needs to be upgraded to the latest version, as there's a few new features in there that we'd like to offer, then we need to get all the usergroups and payment system worked out.

Now that we know the vast majority is on board, we'll start putting it together, and will update you along the way.

Thanks again! :smile:

MsSoxVixen22
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I spend the majority of my "down time" at work on WSI. I will gladly donate whatever I can to help w/the costs

RCWHITESOX
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I am definitely interested in contributing. Thanks for the site and all you do.

I'm with you!

Jason82807
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd be interested in kicking in something.

Dibbs
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I would be willing to kick a little in if that is the direction. I am fine with advertising too.