PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney: Twins will overtake White Sox

Viva Medias B's
08-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Yes, he just said it at Mike Shannon's on KTRS' Cardinals postgame show. John Rooney claims that the Twins will overtake us. He questioned the Griffey acquisition, referenced his leg cramps today, and said KW has wanted to get him forever. In his defense Rooney did make this claim with a tone of disappointment in his voice (he clearly is rooting for us to beat Minnesota), but John is wrong. The Twins (nor the Tigers, for that matter) will NOT NOT NOT NOT overtake us. I like John Rooney a lot, as most of you do, but I cannot agree with him on this one. I like our chances far better than the Twins'.

ViPeRx007
08-02-2008, 09:49 PM
All I know is that it'll be an interesting finish. People can say what they want, but unless they can see the future they know nothing about it.

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, he just said it at Mike Shannon's on KTRS' Cardinals postgame show. John Rooney claims that the Twins will overtake us. He questioned the Griffey acquisition, referenced his leg cramps today, and said KW has wanted to get him forever. In his defense Rooney did make this claim with a tone of disappointment in his voice (he clearly is rooting for us to beat Minnesota), but John is wrong. The Twins (nor the Tigers, for that matter) will overtake us. I like John Rooney a lot, as most of you do, but I cannot agree with him on this one. I like our chances far better than the Twins'.

That's his opinion. If he played for one of the teams involved, I might care, but since he doesn't...

anewman35
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
The Twins (nor the Tigers, for that matter) will NOT NOT NOT NOT overtake us. I like John Rooney a lot, as most of you do, but I cannot agree with him on this one. I like our chances far better than the Twins'.

I'm no dark cloud or anything, but I think you're a little overconfident, especially with the way the pitching has been lately. I personally think we'll pull it off, but I can certianly see picking the Twins as being reasonable.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm no dark cloud or anythingCan you prove this or are you just tossing out words? :D:

soxfanreggie
08-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I always enjoyed Rooney's broadcasts. I also respect his right to have an opinion and would hope others would to; however, I will also say that I disagree with his opinion.

Woofer
08-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Well I hope that Mr. Rooney is wrong on his opinion. I am sure he will hope that I am also wrong in my prediction that the Cardinals will not overtake the stupid Cubs for the National league Central lead.

gogosox16
08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Well I hope that Mr. Rooney is wrong on his opinion. I am sure he will hope that I am also wrong in my prediction that the Cardinals will not overtake the stupid Cubs for the National league Central lead.
Your correct about that because the Brewers will surpass the Cubs in the NL Central:bandance:

rwcescato
08-02-2008, 11:33 PM
All I know is that it'll be an interesting finish. People can say what they want, but unless they can see the future they know nothing about it.

The Twins do have a 14 game road trip and play 24 out of 30 on the road from the middle of August until the beginning of September. That schedule does not favor them.

spiffie
08-02-2008, 11:56 PM
I loved John Rooney, but he was always killing time with us until the Cards job opened up, so why should we care what he says about the Sox.

Anyone who thinks the Sox will not win this division should turn off their computers, go to their roof, throw the computer off the roof, and then follow the computer down, because you're cowards, you're faithless, and you're not Sox fans.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-03-2008, 12:41 AM
The Sox can definitly win this division, but if they keep playing like they have been these past couple games and their pitching doesn't get it together then the Twins have a very good shot.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2008, 01:06 AM
They Twins will not overtake the Sox. If the Sox don't win the division, it will be because they gave it to the Twins. It will be because they fell apart, just like in 2003 and 2006. The Sox have a habit of beating themselves, just as they did when they gave away two games in Minnesota. The Sox are a better team than the Twins, and if they can keep from choking, they will win the division by 5 games.

RadioheadRocks
08-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Reverse psychology, maybe?

TDog
08-03-2008, 01:27 AM
There are probably a lot of White Sox fans who questioned the Griffey trade. I really don't understand why. I think Masset could be replaced from within the organization and Richar wasn't going to help the Sox this year. But certaily, there have to be pessimistic Sox fans that believe the Twins will pass the Sox.

I don't know how it will work out. I hope Griffey enjoys a last hurrah, an opporunity to be in the thick of a pennant race that he takes full advantage of, punctuating his legendary status, just as an aging, alcoholic Grover Cleveland Alexander pitched a complete game win over the Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig-featuring Yankees in New York in Game 6 of the 1926 World Series the day before he pitched the final 2.1 innings to protect the 3-2 lead in the Cardinals' Game 7 win. He came in to strike out Tony Lazzeri with the bases loaded. If saves were awarded in those days, that would have counted as a tough save. The game is part of baseball legend, and Ken Griffey Jr. has an opportunity to make similar history.

Every team has issues. Some have fewer issues than others, but the Twins released their opening day starter when they activated Liriano, who doesn't throw as hard as he used to.

it will be a great race. The reflex for a lot of us Sox fans is to never be surprised when the Sox lose, and 2005 didn't change that. Rationally, I believe the Sox have a better team. Jermaine Dye is a winner. Carlos Quentin strikes me as being a winner. Joe Crede is a winner. Even Paul Konerko is a winner.

In the meantime, everyone is welcome to their opinion. There are people who think mine are meaningless, and I think John Rooney's is meaningless.

At least people have stopped talking about the Tigers coming back.

chaerulez
08-03-2008, 02:45 AM
There are probably a lot of White Sox fans who questioned the Griffey trade. I really don't understand why. I think Masset could be replaced from within the organization and Richar wasn't going to help the Sox this year. But certaily, there have to be pessimistic Sox fans that believe the Twins will pass the Sox.

I don't know how it will work out. I hope Griffey enjoys a last hurrah, an opporunity to be in the thick of a pennant race that he takes full advantage of, punctuating his legendary status, just as an aging, alcoholic Grover Cleveland Alexander pitched a complete game win over the Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig-featuring Yankees in New York in Game 6 of the 1926 World Series the day before he pitched the final 2.1 innings to protect the 3-2 lead in the Cardinals' Game 7 win. He came in to strike out Tony Lazzeri with the bases loaded. If saves were awarded in those days, that would have counted as a tough save. The game is part of baseball legend, and Ken Griffey Jr. has an opportunity to make similar history.

Every team has issues. Some have fewer issues than others, but the Twins released their opening day starter when they activated Liriano, who doesn't throw as hard as he used to.

it will be a great race. The reflex for a lot of us Sox fans is to never be surprised when the Sox lose, and 2005 didn't change that. Rationally, I believe the Sox have a better team. Jermaine Dye is a winner. Carlos Quentin strikes me as being a winner. Joe Crede is a winner. Even Paul Konerko is a winner.

In the meantime, everyone is welcome to their opinion. There are people who think mine are meaningless, and I think John Rooney's is meaningless.

I don't think anyone argues the Sox gave up next to nothing for Griffey. Masset seems to be a serviceable reliever in this league, maybe a #4 or #5 starter down the line. Richar could be of use in someones lineup, but I don't think he's going to be anything more than average at best. The question from the Griffey acquisition is if he can really play CF for the remaining two months of the season. All signs point to no.

And I don't know what the criteria for being a "winner" is but that really means nothing. Playing good baseball makes you win championships. The Sox didn't have much postseason experience at all in 2005 and yet they won a title. They swept a Boston team that was full of postseason experience as they won it all the year before. I don't know how Paul Konerko would be anymore of a "winner" than Justin Moreanu. The team who plays the best in these next two months will win the divison, not because of some perceived character makeup.

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Something like the Clinton campaign once said;
Its all about the pitching,stupid.

WSox597
08-03-2008, 07:29 AM

Excellent post. I think this aura of invincibility, that our own tv team helps along. makes people think the Twins are inevitable.

Cleveland proved that they're not last night.

The Sox can do this. The offense is waking up for the most part, and Griffey will certainly help that.

Now the pitching needs to get back to where it was earlier this year. If that happens, look out baseball.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-03-2008, 05:30 PM
The Twins have overtaken us. Ours bats were silent and our pitching looked suspect. That said, it's a road trip we need to put behind us, take a well needed day off, be ready to kick the living **** out of Detroit and take back 1st place.

It will be a long August and September. I don't think the AL Central will be won by more than 3 games.

TomBradley72
08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
It's a legitimate opinion. They are adding Liriano, Cuddyer comes back in a few weeks, while we have had some of the worst pitching in the league since July 1, mediocre defense and have three key players on the DL who are not showing real positive signs for recovery.

It's hard to get excited about the current version of the White Sox.

turners56
08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
The Twins are beatable. Right now though, we're playing like ****.

A good way to erase that from the fans' minds would be to sweep Detroit and take them out of this race.

The Tigers just had a disappointing loss. It's time to put them in the dirt and make this a two team race.

Brian26
08-03-2008, 06:11 PM
I loved John Rooney, but he was always killing time with us until the Cards job opened up, so why should we care what he says about the Sox.

He was killing time for 17 years? Come on.

Rooney's a pretty intelligent observer of the game. His comments about the Twins don't necessarily negate 17 years of emotional commitment he had in the Sox franchise, nor does it make me respect him any less as one of the top three broadcasters in the game. Hopefully the Sox pull it together and prove him wrong.

A. Cavatica
08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Damn that Rooney, able to see so far into the future.

I'll make a prediction of my own now: the Sox will overtake the Twins.

munchman33
08-03-2008, 11:30 PM
John Rooney knows nothing about baseball, and he especially knows less than the people that post here.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2008, 12:01 AM
John Rooney knows nothing about baseball
:o:
:tealpolice:

TornLabrum
08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
John Rooney knows nothing about baseball, and he especially knows less than the people that post here.

Or something.

oeo
08-04-2008, 09:21 AM

I don't know about that, but I question how much he can really follow AL baseball. His opinion on the AL Central is just as good as any NL fan.

munchman33
08-04-2008, 09:51 AM
:o:
:tealpolice:

I don't know about that, but I question how much he can really follow AL baseball. His opinion on the AL Central is just as good as any NL fan.

Implied teal. Rooney was the voice of our sox for a long time...the one we embraced more than others. While others were homers, Rooney was our legitimate face. It's funny to see people turn on him now that he isn't ours anymore. Like somehow his opinions are no longer sound.

areilly
08-04-2008, 09:52 AM

Best bullpen ever?

Gammons Peter
08-04-2008, 10:25 AM
John is wrong. The Twins (nor the Tigers, for that matter) will NOT NOT NOT NOT overtake us. I like John Rooney a lot, as most of you do, but I cannot agree with him on this one. I like our chances far better than the Twins'.

We have been overtaken....You couldnt look like more of a fool right now

spiffie
08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
We have been overtaken....You couldnt look like more of a fool right now
The Twins have pulled ahead momentarily due to a schedule quirk. They will not be ahead of us when the final games are played.

TomBradley72
08-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Give me a break. This is his profession...he has plenty of time and experience/knowledge to have a valid opinion on the AL Central race.

He's probably looking at the pitching situation. Since the All Star break:

Twins: 3.99 team ERA, 2nd in the AL, just added Liriano
White Sox: 6.13 team ERA, 14th/last in the AL, Contreras & Linebrink on DL

Gammons Peter
08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
The Twins have pulled ahead momentarily due to a schedule quirk. They will not be ahead of us when the final games are played.

A quirk? huh, and I thought it was because the Royals kicked our ass in two straight series and we played like crap in Minnesota.... But I'm glad it's just a quirk

hi im skot
08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
That's just, like, his opinion, man.

oeo
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Give me a break. This is his profession...he has plenty of time and experience/knowledge to have a valid opinion on the AL Central race.

He's probably looking at the pitching situation. Since the All Star break:

Twins: 3.99 team ERA, 2nd in the AL, just added Liriano
White Sox: 6.13 team ERA, 14th/last in the AL, Contreras & Linebrink on DL

His profession is to call Cardinals games everyday. Sorry that I don't think he has the time to know everything about the Sox and the AL Central, when he has to focus on the NL.

Hey, without completely paying attention to the NL, I can come up with some opinions too. It doesn't mean they're completely right, and just because he's John Rooney doesn't make him all-knowing.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2008, 01:39 PM
His profession is to call Cardinals games everyday. Sorry that I don't think he has the time to know everything about the Sox and the AL Central, when he has to focus on the NL.

Hey, without completely paying attention to the NL, I can come up with some opinions too. It doesn't mean they're completely right, and just because he's John Rooney doesn't make him all-knowing.
What he does know along with you and me is that our pitching has gone from 1st in the AL to 6th in a few short weeks.

munchman33
08-04-2008, 03:26 PM

I bet John Rooney stopped paying attention to the White Sox after 2005. I mean, after all those years and winning a title, why bother anymore? I'd stop caring too.

oeo
08-05-2008, 08:09 AM
I bet John Rooney stopped paying attention to the White Sox after 2005. I mean, after all those years and winning a title, why bother anymore? I'd stop caring too.

Did I say he stopped paying attention? I said he can't follow closely.

MarySwiss
08-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Well, technically he was right. The Twins did overtake us. And now that that's over with, it'd be nice to see them go into a nice big downward spiral. :smile:

TomBradley72
08-05-2008, 09:53 AM

There are only 6 Division races to keep track of....how hard is it? We're not talking rocket science here.

pierzynski07
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Doesn't he do some national broadcasts now? He's paying attention more than we think.

08-05-2008, 10:21 AM

You did.

oeo
08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
There are only 6 Division races to keep track of....how hard is it? We're not talking rocket science here.

Keeping track is one thing, knowing the ins and outs is another.

Did he take into account that the Twins have only 20 home games remaining, where they play at a clip of .650, and 28 road games remaining in which they play at a .442 clip? Then, OTOH, the Sox have 29 home games left in which they play at .686, and only 21 road games left where they play .440 ball. If those numbers continue, the Sox finish 3 games ahead of the Twins. This is just one example. Then look at how the Twins have been awful against every team not in the AL Central or NL. The Sox haven't been great, but they've been better than the Twins.

You think he knows everything that's going on? I don't. Maybe he looked up some recent statistics...big whoop. The Sox are going through a terrible stretch right now.

TomBradley72
08-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Keeping track is one thing, knowing the ins and outs is another.

Did he take into account that the Twins have only 20 home games remaining, where they play at a clip of .650, and 28 road games remaining in which they play at a .442 clip? Then, OTOH, the Sox have 29 home games left in which they play at .686, and only 21 road games left where they play .440 ball. If those numbers continue, the Sox finish 3 games ahead of the Twins. This is just one example. Then look at how the Twins have been awful against every team not in the AL Central or NL. The Sox haven't been great, but they've been better than the Twins.

You think he knows everything that's going on? I don't. Maybe he looked up some recent statistics...big whoop. The Sox are going through a terrible stretch right now.

Did he take into account the Twins have the 2nd best pitching in the American League since the All Star break while the White Sox have been dead last? Did he take into account the White Sox defense which has allowed the 2nd most unearned runs in the AL? That we've lost our starting 3rd baseman, a rotation starter and our 8th inning bullpen guy to the DL? While the Twins have added Liriano and Cuddyer is coming back soon?

I hope Rooney is wrong. But there's plenty of evidence that the Twins could win the Division despite the glut of road games they'll be playing over the next 6 weeks.

oeo
08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Did he take into account the Twins have the 2nd best pitching in the American League since the All Star break while the White Sox have been dead last?

With the bulk of those games at home. The Twins pitching staff has a 3.29 ERA at home and a 5.60 ERA on the road.

That we've lost our starting 3rd baseman, a rotation starter and our 8th inning bullpen guy to the DL? While the Twins have added Liriano and Cuddyer is coming back soon?Are all our guys out for the season?

I hope Rooney is wrong. But there's plenty of evidence that the Twins could win the Division despite the glut of road games they'll be playing over the next 6 weeks.The road is very, very bad news for the Twins. They're an entirely different team. I question how they've even won as many road games as they have with that astronomical ERA. While the Sox have been bad, the Twins have been worse, and somehow have more wins (luck?). The Twins have a -55 run differential on the road compared to the Sox who have a -19. We could see their road numbers actually get worse.

munchman33
08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
You did.

Real Sox fans never question personel decisions. Real Sox fans never worry when the team doesn't perform. I'm obviously not a real Sox fan.

Yeah, and that's why I'm here posting twenty times a day, too. Because I obviously don't care about the White Sox.

areilly
08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Doesn't he do some national broadcasts now? He's paying attention more than we think.

I heard him doing an Angels/Red Sox game a few weekends ago. I always hate being reminded of how great Sox radio broadcasting was just a few short years ago.

areilly
08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Then look at how the Twins have been awful against every team not in the AL Central or NL. The Sox haven't been great, but they've been better than the Twins.

Hey how are the Sox doing against every team not in the AL Central or NL?

Gammons Peter
08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
4 pages on this? who cares what he said, he was right wasnt he. I said it last week too, Big deal.

oeo
08-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey how are the Sox doing against every team not in the AL Central or NL?

As I said, since I guess you didn't read it: not well, but better than the Twins.

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
4 pages on this? who cares what he said, he was right wasnt he. I said it last week too, Big deal.I think when somebody says one team is going to overtake the other, he means for the title, not for one day. So no, he was not right.

TomBradley72
08-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I think when somebody says one team is going to overtake the other, he means for the title, not for one day. So no, he was not right.

If that's the definition...then we won't know if he was right or wrong until either the Twins or Sox are officially eliminated some time in September.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2008, 01:05 AM
If that's the definition...then we won't know if he was right or wrong until either the Twins or Sox are officially eliminated some time in September.You are correct. But as of now, he isn't right.

WhiteSox5187
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
You are correct. But as of now, he isn't right.
But he isn't wrong either. If we use the logic "He can neither be proven right nor wrong until the Twins or Sox are eliminated" I can say "The Mariners will win the AL West this year" and until they are eliminated I cannot be wrong. No?

Ziggy S
08-07-2008, 01:29 AM

BILLY BEANE STOLE A HOF FROM RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSE. IF WE HAD DE LOS SANTOS BACK WE'D BE DOMINATING THE DIVISION, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!1!!!!

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2008, 01:36 AM
But he isn't wrong either. If we use the logic "He can neither be proven right nor wrong until the Twins or Sox are eliminated" I can say "The Mariners will win the AL West this year" and until they are eliminated I cannot be wrong. No?The argument I was refuting was the Rooney was right because the Twins had "overtaken" the Sox in the context he was referring. Jesus.

I didn't say he was wrong. I said he was not right. So your argument is moot.