PDA

View Full Version : *Official* All Went Wrong Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Just our luck to draw Soria. Once Alexei missed the homer, I had a bad feeling. Please lose tonight, Minny.

Gammons Peter
08-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I hate powder puff lefties

/He is not our ace

ViPeRx007
08-02-2008, 06:59 PM
That sucked. At least they made it interesting and didn't just roll over at the end.

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Just our luck to draw Soria. Once Alexei missed the homer, I had a bad feeling. Please lose tonight, Minny.

I have a feeling the Twins will win tonight but will lose tomorrow. :(: C'mon CLE! Please guys! Please! :whiner:

Domeshot17
08-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Come on, this isn't bad luck.

This is our pitching staff completely imploding. Since the All Star, we have gotten what, 3 starts that our starters didnt pretty much suck, and 1 game where our bullpen did not allow a run.

The offense is doing its job, its good enough, but the Staff has been aweful, and it isn't guys like Danks and Gavin hurting us, Its Buehrle leaving his 80 mph stuff in the middle of the plate, our established relievers are getting hit, it just been bad. It has to turn around or we have no shot at the playoffs.

kevingrt
Well that was ugly. How bad did Dewayne Wise look versus Soria too.

Corlose 15
The pitching staff has been **** for a while and for most of the games on this trip.

They were handed leads in 2 of the Minny losses and today's game and can't do anything. The bullpen isn't holding leads and isn't keeping games close. Its like 2007.:angry:

Time for some people to get healthy and go on a run.

DickAllen72
The only true "Ace" the Sox have is a healthy Jose Contreras.

Another sloppy game.

JB98
This loss is 100 percent on Mark Buehrle. He gave up 14 hits in 4.1 innings to a subpar offensive team. That's terrible. He had a 3-0 lead early, and he ****ed it up with a quickness. Every pitch was up. Lousy, lousy job.

The hitters tried to come back, but the hole was too great.

MCHSoxFan
Another thing. This season FOX has been our bad network. ESPN, we actually have played better on. Even WGN Saturday nights.

stl_sox_fan
Going to be a very anxious next few hours......Donning my Tribe gear soon...

kidmccarthy
08-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Thats 2 awful starts for Mark in a row. He better suck it up. Also, why the **** do you not pinch hit Swisher for Wise with Fields on 1st and nobody out. That was a bad choice. I hope the Twins lose, or things could get ugly around here.

slavko
I hate powder puff lefties

/He is not our ace

If the choices are nobody and anyone you can name, nobody is our ace.

Domeshot17
Buehrle has to be better, we pay him the big money to stop slides and extend winning streaks. This is the 2nd big momentum game in a row he has be bad in.

peeonwrigley
08-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Buehrle sucked, and that was that.

Corlose 15

This is our pitching staff completely imploding. Since the All Star, we have gotten what, 3 starts that our starters didnt pretty much suck, and 1 game where our bullpen did not allow a run.

The offense is doing its job, its good enough, but the Staff has been aweful, and it isn't guys like Danks and Gavin hurting us, Its Buehrle leaving his 80 mph stuff in the middle of the plate, our established relievers are getting hit, it just been bad. It has to turn around or we have no shot at the playoffs.

https://www.assetmanagement.abnamro.co.in/pms/images/nutshell.gif

Frankie5Angels
2 terrible games from Buerhle since he went on 3 days rest.

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2008, 07:04 PM

EXACTLY! End of story.

JB98

No other post is really necessary in this thread, but more will be made. :D:

QCIASOXFAN
The offense is there... the pitching isn't.

I'm usually a glass half full guy, but I have a bad feeling this trend will continue for some reason.

SoxGirl4Life
08-02-2008, 07:05 PM
If I watch the Minnesota game, I have to look at that damn dome...

JB98
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
The offense is there... the pitching isn't.

I'm usually a glass half full guy, but I have a bad feeling this trend will continue for some reason.

Depends on whether Contreras and Linebrink come back healthy and effective. If we get the Jose and Scott we saw the first two months of the year, things will settle down significantly. We miss those two veterans, just as we miss Crede.

Sucks to have three vets on the DL, but every team goes through periods like this.

Gammons Peter
08-02-2008, 07:08 PM
He'll pitch a good game pretty soon and everybody will love him again and tell me how great he is but I hate pitchers that need to be absolutely perfect to have success. 86 MPH, give me a break

Woofer
08-02-2008, 07:09 PM
This is just not a playoff caliber team, not since the All Star break at least. The team never gets a break, injuries have piled up, and the bullpen is worn out and thin. At least the bats have shown up. Even if we had tied it up today, Thornton would still have blown the game by giving up the homer to Olivo. :angry:

October26
Very disappointed with Buehrle's performance again today. Sox offense certainly battled but the Royals pounded out 19 hits against Sox pitchers today? Jeez.

Edit: Looks like Kevin Slowey is pitching for the Twins tonight.

Oh well, I'm going to go watch a movie and take my mind off of this awful game.

Go get 'em tomorrow.

LITTLE NELL
Sometimes I wonder if players on this team know that they are in a pennant race.
There goes my prediction for 6-4 road trip.

turners56
08-02-2008, 07:12 PM
You gotta give Mark the benefit of the doubt. It was really hot out there. Not saying that's why he sucked, but that can't help.

Matt Thornton is continuing to suck, he totally gave away our momentum on that homer to Olivo.

arKnaD7
08-02-2008, 07:13 PM
obviously, that sucked.

Buehrle was throwing his fastball about 86, belt high right down the middle. i didn't see Wassermann pitch (i started to play xbox 360 after the 4th, but still listened to the radio), but besides the 2 inherited runner it sounded like he was effective. Paulie looked good, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

can't afford to lose many games when you score 7 runs (although 4 came after ozzie took the main guys out)

go get 'em tomorrow.........

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 07:14 PM
The frustrating thing about this team is that sometimes they get great pitching with no hitting, and sometimes they get great hitting with no pitching. It would be nice to see a consistent unity of both facets of the game here. Neither the hitting nor pitching should have to shoulder it all single-handedly.

That's one of Buehrle's five worst outings ever, and he really hasn't looked very good for the vast majority of this season. He really needs to get it together before it's too late.

It's too bad the Cuban Missile wasn't able to get a home run in his final at bat, or that game would've been tied in the 8th.

Let's get them tomorrow and at least take this series.

Frontman
08-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Ouch. That one sucked. That sucked of suckatudge.

*looks around his desktop to find another joke to lighten the mood...*

Did I do the joke that Billy Mays and Nick Swisher look a lot a like?

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1330399_billymays.jpg
"Hi Billy Mays here...."

Wait, I already did.

I got nothing after this one. Hope Griff recovers from the leg cramp quickly, as I have a feeling the Sox will need to just pound out victories hoping for the pitching to come around.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 07:15 PM
It is August now with the Sox #1 and 2 starters both under .500. They are now counting on an old man to come back from the dead to become their #5 starter. The #3 and #4 starters are approaching their most # of innings ever pitched in a season. The bullpens era is around 7 since the All Star break. Now in the dog days of summer it is a time of concern.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 07:16 PM
You gotta give Mark the benefit of the doubt. It was really hot out there. Not saying that's why he sucked, but that can't help.
The heat certainly didn't seem to effect Davies. Buehrle doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt for this one.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Another in a seemingly endless string of awful starting performance since right before the break. This simply has to change...if not, all bets are off folks.

Pitching wins championships, the Sox had it in the first three months, they haven't sniffed it since.

The Royals have won 4 of the last 6 meetings, THAT is a serious issue.

Lip

DickAllen72
08-02-2008, 07:19 PM
It is August now with the Sox #1 and 2 starters both under .500. They are now counting on an old man to come back from the dead to become their #5 starter.
If that "old man" comes back healthy, he's their #1 starter. If not, the Sox probably won't make the playoffs.

turners56
08-02-2008, 07:23 PM
The heat certainly didn't seem to effect Davies. Buehrle doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt for this one.

It certainly got to him by the 6th inning. He had to be taken out for something that had to do with dehydration.

JB98
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
If that "old man" comes back healthy, he's their #1 starter. If not, the Sox probably won't make the playoffs.

They say Contreras looked great in his last bullpen session. That being the case, why the hell isn't he pitching tomorrow? He's eligible to come off the DL.

Kansas City's best pitcher is on the hill tomorrow. I'm not real excited about Clayton Richard opposing Zach Grienke.

october23sp
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Yuck

Noneck
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM

If he is able to find what Ponce de Leon supposedly discovered, obtains a new mental makeup and is able to and agrees to pitch on 2-3 days rest, then maybe.

Optipessimism
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Thats 2 awful starts for Mark in a row. He better suck it up. Also, why the **** do you not pinch hit Swisher for Wise with Fields on 1st and nobody out. That was a bad choice. I hope the Twins lose, or things could get ugly around here.
Wise is a better contact guy. Swish gives you power and a better chance of taking a walk, but Swish has obviously struggled all year for the most part and Soria doesn't walk many hitters. Wise was a fine option to hit there. I hoped he would try to beat out a bunt single with the down side being a man on 2nd with one out, but I guess that wasn't in his plans.

Tragg
08-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Lousy pitching
Lousy managing

Optipessimism
08-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Nice games for Wassermann and Anderson, especially Wassie. Both of those guys needed that IMO.

Buehrle and Thornton cost us the game. Wassermann almost saved it, but our pitching was determined this afternoon to blow this game. Don't worry about Minny now, just take game 3 and start a new streak.

Let's get another pitcher up here now.

Optipessimism
08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Lousy pitching
Lousy managing
What the hell did Ozzie do wrong? Taking Griffey and Quentin out of the game was what put us back in it. He left Buehrle in long but that's because we don't have a bullpen.

Ozzie's players lost this game. Ozzie had nothing to do with it.

ArkanSox
08-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Buehrle was on a pretty good roll until the past two games. I couldn't see the game here, but it sounds like he really sucked today. At least the Sox kept fighting back. In a replay, I saw Junior make a diving catch. Let's hope that cramps are his only problem. He seems determined to go all out. If he does stay healthy, you gotta love that.

Tragg
08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
What the hell did Ozzie do wrong? Taking Griffey and Quentin out of the game was what put us back in it. He left Buehrle in long but that's because we don't have a bullpen.

Ozzie's players lost this game. Ozzie had nothing to do with it.

Ozzie never does anything wrong. I forgot.
how about leaving a starting pitcher in there to give up 14 hits. Was it the 14th hit or the 8th run that finally turned the tide that the pitcher should be lifted.
He's been doing this all year and it costs the Sox games. As bad as the bullpen may be, they pitch better than MB was pitching today.

DickAllen72
08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
If he is able to find what Ponce de Leon supposedly discovered, obtains a new mental makeup and is able to and agrees to pitch on 2-3 days rest, then maybe.
:scratch:

Woofer
08-02-2008, 07:41 PM
how about leaving a starting pitcher in there to give up 14 hits. Was it the 14th hit or the 8th run that finally turned the tide that the pitcher should be lifted.
He's been doing this all year and it costs the Sox games. As bad as the bullpen may be, they pitch better than MB was pitching today.
We don't have the pitching depth to pull the starter after 3-4 innings. They need to go 7 or 8 right now.

Optipessimism
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Okay then, who do you bring in? Logan? LOL. Thornton? LOL. Carrasco? He just worked and needs to keep fresh for tomorrow in case it actually looks like a baseball game. Same with Dotel, do you really want to bring your ONLY functioning set-up man in the 5th inning of what looks to be a blow out? That's some dog**** management. You bring in Jenks? Nope. Wassermann? Yep, and he did it. Ozzie doesn't have enough options right now to make the second guessers look smart.

And yes, Ozzie can do wrong. I doubt there's anyone on this site who hasn't second guessed Ozzie at some point, but today he was not in any way to blame.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 07:50 PM
:scratch:

I am saying, I think they will need a lot more good outings than Contreras will be able to provide, even if he finds the fountain of youth.

turners56
08-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Buehrle didn't give up the 7th and 8th runs. Wasserman did. They were charged to Buehrle, but he was already out of the game by then. Those runs should of never even scored, the 2B umpire made a pretty bad call that should of resulted in a double play.

Esteban German continues to kill the Sox. This has to stop.

SoxSpeed22
08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
This goes to show you how valuable Linebrink is to this team. Even though Buehrle pitched badly today, they could have used someone else to stop the bleeding in the 5th. What bothers me the most is how are starters give back runs when they are spotted to a bigger lead. The inability to hold leads has also been a problem. Things will probably get worse before they get better.

Lukin13
08-02-2008, 07:59 PM

This is our pitching staff completely imploding.

I think the number one problem with our pitching staff is that the defense behind them absolutely sucks.

tstrike2000
08-02-2008, 08:00 PM
The only true "Ace" the Sox have is a healthy Jose Contreras.

I know he was supposedly pitching hurt his last few starts before the DL, but your statement means he must not have been healthy most of the last 2 years because during that time he's wracked up a hell of a lot of loses. I'm not buying it. I'm not wishing him bad when he comes back. In fact I hope he does pitch in ace form, but until he shows it, I'm not holding my breath.

BainesHOF
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I doubt there's anyone on this site who hasn't second guessed Ozzie at some point, but today he was not in any way to blame.

Oh yes he was. Big time.

Ozzie leaving Buehrle in to give up 14 hits was a complete joke. It was obvious to anyone paying attention to the game (and not looking in the stands, Ozzie) that Buehrle just didn't have it today. Most of his pitches were high. He's not good enough to get away with that. By the third inning I knew Buehrle was in serious trouble.

Yet, Ozzie left Buehrle in to throw basically batting practice for hit after hit after hit. What else does Ozzie have to see from a pitcher to know that he doesn't have it?!

It was sad that Ozzie let a winnable game get away from us. More stupid, really.

And then, to cap it off, Ozzie started substituting late in the game as if all was lost. Sorry, Ozzie, this team is in fact capable of coming back from a 5-run deficit in the final two innings against Kansas City.

We're at the point of the season where it's a sprint to the finish line. Every game needs to managed to give ourselves the best chance to win it. Yet Ozzie managed today like we were in first place by five games. Pathetic.

sox1970
08-02-2008, 08:13 PM
We're at the point of the season where it's a sprint to the finish line. Every game needs to managed to give ourselves the best chance to win it. Yet Ozzie managed today like we were in first place by five games. Pathetic.

I disagree to an extent. Yes, of course you want to win as many games as possible. But I think the Sox game plan is to not get gassed in August, and have nothing left in September.

If they fall out of first, it's not huge deal yet. The key is to not fall too far behind. When the Twins go on the road for 14 games at the end of August, hope the Sox are winning then and opening up a lead with a somewhat fresh team.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh yes he was. Big time.

Ozzie leaving Buehrle in to give up 14 hits was a complete joke. It was obvious to anyone paying attention to the game (and not looking in the stands, Ozzie) that Buehrle just didn't have it today. Most of his pitches were high. He's not good enough to get away with that. By the third inning I knew Buehrle was in serious trouble.

Yet, Ozzie left Buehrle in to throw basically batting practice for hit after hit after hit. What else does Ozzie have to see from a pitcher to know that he doesn't have it?!

It was sad that Ozzie let a winnable game get away from us. More stupid, really.

And then, to cap it off, Ozzie started substituting late in the game as if all was lost. Sorry, Ozzie, this team is in fact capable of coming back from a 5-run deficit in the final two innings against Kansas City.

As I sat and watched Burls getting lite up, I realized that there is no one in the pen that I would like to see come in. 2 months ago I would agree with you but now the bull pen are all "Iron Mikes"

I could see his point in subbing today when down by 5. It was 100 degrees, they have been on a long trip and he wants them as fresh as possible tomorrow when they start off the game tied at 0-0.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh yes he was. Big time.

You would rather have had someone brought in from our bullpen I assume. Our stellar bullpen that has a SIX something ERA since the break. Yea, that's the way to win ball games. Pull the starter after five and have it over to a bullpen that's leaking oil three lanes wide.

Meanwhile the pitching implosion of the second half continues. They HAVE to start pitching better or else, we're toast. This team is pitching like horse**** and teams that pitch like horse **** typically don't make it to the playoffs.

Domeshot17
08-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I think the number one problem with our pitching staff is that the defense behind them absolutely sucks.

The defense has not been too good, but Buehrle got pounded too, and its almost entirely on Buehrle. The defense wasnt making him throw fat and flat off speed pitches in the happy zone, or leaving meaty fastballs slower than a lot of guys changeups in the zone.

When Burls is best, his change up and cutter start int he zone and end up out with guys chasing, and his fastball is almost entirely complimentary to the slow stuff.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM
The defense has not been too good, but Buehrle got pounded too, and its almost entirely on Buehrle. The defense wasnt making him throw fat and flat off speed pitches in the happy zone, or leaving meaty fastballs slower than a lot of guys changeups in the zone.

When Burls is best, his change up and cutter start int he zone and end up out with guys chasing, and his fastball is almost entirely complimentary to the slow stuff.
The defense has let Buerhle down before (I can recall one game in Anaheim early in the year) but today it was just a case of Buerhle sucking. Everyone has to turn it around. If we want to have a prayer at the playoffs EVERYONE has to start pitching better. Meanwhile another good outting for Wasserman, maybe he should replace Thornton for the late innings?

Tragg
08-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Okay then, who do you bring in? Logan? LOL. Thornton? LOL.
Thornton LOL?
That's who Ozzie used when the game was on the line. Geeze
I'd have brought either of those 2 in - as bad as they've been pitching, they couldn't have been worse than MB was today.
Further, not a bad time for them to work out their problems. Long relief is exactly where they should be pitching now.

ms620
08-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Can someone please explain to me how in the world this was a "nice outing" by Wasserman. His line in the box score looks pretty good. BUT HE DID NOT DO HIS JOB. It amazes me that people can actually think he had a good game. One of the key stats for relief pitchers is inherited runners scored. Today, Wasserman was 2-2. A 2 out 2 run triple, to German, to take the game from 6-3, to 8-3, is absolutely awful. Wasserman failed today. I do not care that after he allowed those 2 inherited runners to score, he pitched a couple innings of scoreless ball. So what? But if thats what some of you deem a successful relief outing, so be it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Pitching wins championships, the Sox had it in the first three months, they haven't sniffed it since.

Lip, haven't you heard that Kenny "tried to get pitching, but the price was too high?"

Since Kenny tried, he's absolved of any culpability.

:rolleyes:

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 09:08 PM
In regard to leaving Buehrle in so long, sometimes you can't be afraid to lose a game to help the team down the road. Lifting Buehrle in the third or fourth inning would have taxed an already taxed bullpen in that heat. Ozzie probably would have liked to let him go even longer, but it got to the point where he had to get him out of there before the end of the 5th inning because enough was enough. He had nothing, and there is no sense embarrassing Buehrle by hanging him out to dry. Wasserman did his job to eat some innings and got the team to the 8th.

What is remarkable about this year (besides the Jekyll and Hyde faces of the pitching staff) is that the Sox are in first place and both Buehrle and Vazquez have losing records.

If the team is going to make the playoffs, however, Buehrle and Vazquez must have winning records from August 3 to September 28.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Another in a seemingly endless string of awful starting performance since right before the break. This simply has to change...if not, all bets are off folks.

The Royals have won 4 of the last 6 meetings, THAT is a serious issue.

Lip

Lip, haven't you heard that Kenny "tried to get pitching, but the price was too high?"

:rolleyes:Lip, I know you are quite happy. You live for this stuff. Frater, since you've become a front line FOLIP, I'm sure you're also quite happy. Enjoy yourselves. It's your time. I really hope it bites you in the ass later. It did happen once before. One can only hope for another occurrence.

EuroSox35
08-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Terrible loss, and it's all on the shoulders of Mark

I enjoyed Leo Mazzone though

Railsplitter
08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Sox have been a split personality this year. Geat at home, lousy on the road.

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2008, 09:43 PM
In regard to leaving Buehrle in so long, sometimes you can't be afraid to lose a game to help the team down the road. Lifting Buehrle in the third or fourth inning would have taxed an already taxed bullpen in that heat. Ozzie probably would have liked to let him go even longer, but it got to the point where he had to get him out of there before the end of the 5th inning because enough was enough. He had nothing, and there is no sense embarrassing Buehrle by hanging him out to dry. Wasserman did his job to eat some innings and got the team to the 8th.

What is remarkable about this year (besides the Jekyll and Hyde faces of the pitching staff) is that the Sox are in first place and both Buehrle and Vazquez have losing records.

If the team is going to make the playoffs, however, Buehrle and Vazquez must have winning records from August 3 to September 28.

Carefuly KY, some people on here think you should treat every game like it's a one game playoff to the postseason. I agree though, in September, we probably pull Buerhle now, but if you blow the pen on this game, it may cost us 4 or 5 loses down the road.

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2008, 09:44 PM
:twinslose

Vernam
08-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, at least Cleveland beat Minnesota 5-1. Turns out they're not invincible in the dome, after all. Liriano goes tomorrow, and how he does might help dictate how optimistic I remain about the Sox's chances.

If Buehrle and Vazquez don't establish some consistency, all the other debates are going to be moot. Our first-half bullpen could've carried a couple of under-achieving starters, but those days are over for now.

I'm surprised at the lack of mention about Konerko's first homer since July 12 (second since June 9). :scratch: Only August 2, and he's already equaled his HR output in May and July, and he's halfway to matching his June total of two. :bandance:

Vernam

turners56
08-02-2008, 09:46 PM
If we win tomorrow, we still go home in first.

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
If we win tomorrow, we still go home in first.

After tomorrow, we begin a stretch of 16 of 19 games at home....should determine a lot about how our season ends up.

Jim Shorts
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Farmio and Stoney said he was throwing the change. They were stunned.

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Will some of you people--and you know who you are--please get a grip?

So what if the Twins had beaten the Tribe, and we had fallen out of first by a half-game? It doesn't matter who's in first place the first week of August. Do you really think the Twins should feel as though they're out of it and should start practicing their golf swings because they failed to beat Cleveland and move into first today?

Of course, I like being in first. But I want our team to finish in first. Not set the record for the AL Central team that spent the most time in first.

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Lip, I know you are quite happy. You live for this stuff. Frater, since you've become a front line FOLIP, I'm sure you're also quite happy. Enjoy yourselves. It's your time. I really hope it bites you in the ass later. It did happen once before. One can only hope for another occurrence.

If you're going to poke fun at me, West, you at least need to get it right. I'm a GIDPK-hater and a card-carrying FOBA. I just happen to agree with Lip on the bullpen and the need for more speed throughout the lineup.

:tongue:

Frontman
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Mary, I think last season still has a hang-over effect. The Sox saw one day in first then fell apart for the rest of the season. A lot of us feel, (maybe we're right, maybe we're wrong) that this team if it falls out of first place it might not be able to get back into first.

Now, I really think its a dog-fight all the way until October, and part of me really wouldn't have it any other way. If the Sox play meaningful baseball all the way until then; we've had a good season as Sox fans.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Lip, I know you are quite happy. You live for this stuff. Frater, since you've become a front line FOLIP, I'm sure you're also quite happy. Enjoy yourselves. It's your time. I really hope it bites you in the ass later. It did happen once before. One can only hope for another occurrence.
Do you HONESTLY think that Lip or any other Sox fan for that matter enjoys seeing the team seemingly implode? Lip and others (myself included) have been critical of how Kenny has constructed this team but I think we would all gladly be 100% flat out wrong and have another World Series title. Just because we are critical of Kenny or point out things like "Boy, this team really should have gotten some pitching, I was saying that earlier" doesn't mean we want the Sox to lose. It's just pointing out a flaw in the team that has to be, or at least SHOULD be fixed if we want to succeed. We all want that flaw to be fixed.

People constantly bitch about the "dark clouds" or whatever, but really far more aggravating than them are the people who think this team is flawless and that anyone who thinks this team isn't the best team since the '27 Yankees are somehow rooting against the Sox. It's really just flat out silly if not down right stupid.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, at least Cleveland beat Minnesota 5-1. Turns out they're not invincible in the dome, after all. Liriano goes tomorrow, and how he does might help dictate how optimistic I remain about the Sox's chances.

If Buehrle and Vazquez don't establish some consistency, all the other debates are going to be moot. Our first-half bullpen could've carried a couple of under-achieving starters, but those days are over for now.

I'm surprised at the lack of mention about Konerko's first homer since July 12 (second since June 9). :scratch: Only August 2, and he's already equaled his HR output in May and July, and he's halfway to matching his June total of two. :bandance:

Vernam

That's true. Strange no one mentions it, even the people who have been his staunchest supporters.

It was very nice to see Konerko finally hit one, probably no one more than PK himself. But everyone wants to obsess about Buehrle having a rare, bad outing against KC.

Hopefully this will help settle down Konerko and he can be a regular contributor from here on out.

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Hopefully this will help settle down Konerko and he can be a regular contributor from here on out.

I really, really, REALLY hope this happens! :smile:

infohawk
08-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Seriously, I'm very concerned about the starting pitching. Buerhrle, Contreras and Vazquez - the veterans - are turning out to be a crapshoot whenever they take the mound. I'm less concerned about the bullpen. The problems there seemed to begin after the injuries to Jenks and Linebrink. Pitchers who get out of their normal roles seem to struggle a bit.

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Mary, I think last season still has a hang-over effect. The Sox saw one day in first then fell apart for the rest of the season. A lot of us feel, (maybe we're right, maybe we're wrong) that this team if it falls out of first place it might not be able to get back into first.

Now, I really think its a dog-fight all the way until October, and part of me really wouldn't have it any other way. If the Sox play meaningful baseball all the way until then; we've had a good season as Sox fans.

I get it, Front, seriously I do! After all, I was around in 2007. As a matter of fact, I had to write all the 2007 Sunday TBGRs, and even the ones they won were by the hair on their chinny-chin-chins.

So we all agree, last year sucked. And the recent bullpen implosion is scaringly reminscent of last year. But we just have to hope that they get their **** together. And obsessing about whether we drop out of first place in early August--to my mind--isn't how to do it.

We're starting tomorrow with a half-game lead. Big deal. Would we quit if we were starting tomorrow a half-game back? I'd hope not.

And I agree it's going to be a dogfight. But I truly think we have the dogs to win it.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 11:01 PM
If you're going to poke fun at me, West, you at least need to get it right. I'm a GIDPK-hater and a card-carrying FOBA. I just happen to agree with Lip on the bullpen and the need for more speed throughout the lineup.

:tongue:No, you have crossed the line and become a FOLIP. You enjoy losses because you can rant. Tell me that isn't the truth. :wink:

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Do you HONESTLY think that Lip or any other Sox fan for that matter enjoys seeing the team seemingly implode?I don't believe this, I know it's a fact.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2008, 11:17 PM
:D:

Lip

Soxman219
08-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I watched the game today as Buehrle gave them the game with bad pitching. As KC scored 8 runs against us I wondered why can't we just destory these guys like we should. The Royals have beaten us 4 of the last 6 games. The Tigers, who we own by the way, score 18 runs easy against KC after their took 2 out of 3 in Chicago. We have the offense to destroy their pitchers so why can't we?

Tragg
08-03-2008, 12:30 AM

:rolleyes:
Consider this:
What did we have to trade? Poreda and Richard are pitchers - -that wouldn't make sense. Maybe we have a promising A Ball hitter somewhere.

So that leaves Anderson, Richar and Getz basically....that's not much.
On the ML roster Swisher's not worth much now (nowhere near what we paid for him); Kenny was apparently peddling Cabrera.

It's not much. Maybe it's Kenny's fault that there isn't much. But there isn't.

Domeshot17
08-03-2008, 01:09 AM
It has been SO bad, you almost have to wonder if Kenny is thinking of Bringing back Russell or MacDougal or seeing if Broadway or Whisler or even Ray King can catch lightning in a bottle and get the pen over the hump for 3-4 days.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-03-2008, 01:17 AM
I realize this is the game of baseball...but for christs ****ing sake...we should not be making the Royals look like the Rangers...****ing pathetic....

Noneck
08-03-2008, 01:20 AM
It has been SO bad, you almost have to wonder if Kenny is thinking of Bringing back Russell or MacDougal or seeing if Broadway or Whisler or even Ray King can catch lightning in a bottle and get the pen over the hump for 3-4 days.

Funny you mentioned him. I was thinking that he could be the catch lighting in a bottle guy now. It may be worth a shot soon, if and I know its a big IF he can come up with his head on straight and with control he could be the setup guy that is so sorely needed. Its a long shot I know but that may be all they can rely on soon.

Domeshot17
08-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Funny you mentioned him. I was thinking that he could be the catch lighting in a bottle guy now. It may be worth a shot soon, if and I know its a big IF he can come up with his head on straight and with control he could be the setup guy that is so sorely needed. Its a long shot I know but that may be all they can rely on soon.

The truth is if he came up and had an era of 5, he would still be better than Wasserman. Im not saying he is a long term solution, but the guy was lights out in 2006, and if he can just catch that for a week, and take some pressure and innings off of the bullpen, it will be ok. The nice thing is all our pieces fall back in line for the stretch run, but getting to that point with Linebrink and Contreras is huge. I don't want to be playing catch up with those guys. I like Richard enough to go to bullpen when Contreras is back, he could be huge against some tough lefties like he was vs Hamilton. I know its not the best projection for your best minor league SP, but the guy could have a great career as a LOOGY.

Noneck
08-03-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm in your corner, MacDougal "could" fill in with lights out stuff, Wasserman or
Carrasco can not and never will be able to.

kevingrt
08-03-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm in your corner, MacDougal "could" fill in with lights out stuff, Wasserman or
Carrasco can not and never will be able to.

Umm, teal? No? Macdougal was terrible. Remember???

BainesHOF
08-03-2008, 01:47 AM
You would rather have had someone brought in from our bullpen I assume. Our stellar bullpen that has a SIX something ERA since the break. Yea, that's the way to win ball games. Pull the starter after five and have it over to a bullpen that's leaking oil three lanes wide.

Meanwhile the pitching implosion of the second half continues. They HAVE to start pitching better or else, we're toast. This team is pitching like horse**** and teams that pitch like horse **** typically don't make it to the playoffs.

In this case, I would have pulled Buehrle after the third or fourth inning. He had absolutely NOTHING. His location was the worst I can remember ever seeing it. It was obvious to anyone who was watching the game. I seriously wonder what could have possibly been going through Ozzie's mind at the time. ANYBODY would have been a better option today than Buehrle.

The game was a case of a manager not recognizing what was happening before his eyes.

I'm not going to argue with anybody who says that our pitching needs to be a lot better if we're going to win the division. But Saturday's game was winable despite that Buehrle didn't have it today...if the manager didn't leave him in to get pounded for 14 hits.

Even Mazzone expressed surprise when Buehrle went back out to the mound for his last inning. Wouldn't you know it? The first two hitters record Kansas City hits No. 13 and 14, and wind up scoring. We wind up losing by two runs.

WSox597
08-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Buehrle was off, no doubt about it. Cabrera didn't have the best game either. A couple of those 'hits' could easily have been called errors.

And that call at second was just horrendous. Another case where instant replay would have been warranted.

The pitching needs to get it together, or the Sox will be golfing come October. Come on guys, we know you can do it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
No, you have crossed the line and become a FOLIP. You enjoy losses because you can rant. Tell me that isn't the truth. :wink:

There's no way I can enjoy losses. My wife has remarked on many occasions that I'm insufferable when they lose and OK when they win.

Ranting is therapy. At least it's preferable to physical violence, and cheaper than a shrink (you'll see that I offered to contribute in the other thread, so I am aware of the cost to you and want to help out).
:tongue:

Noneck
08-03-2008, 11:21 AM
I went to sleep concerned about the Sox but awoke to find out the Sox are 4-1 to win the AL, while the Twins are 9-1 and Tigers 12-1. Money talks and bull**** walks, so I'm walking away from my concerns now and enjoying the rest of the season.

hawkjt
08-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Since that Rangers series in Texas ,our pitching has been psychologically damaged it seems. I fricking hate texas now.

Wassie did a decent job because if the ump makes the easy,right call ,he gives up nothing.

Buerls has to get that extra day of rest this time around and come back good vs Boston at home.

Sox need to win today and come home in first. AT the beginning of this horrible trip, I said if they come home in first..it is a decent trip. They can still do that. Go Sox...go tribe.

AnkleSox
08-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Thank god I missed this game. Also, there's a whole lot terrible grammar in this thread :smile:

JB98
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I completely disagree with people who criticize Ozzie for not pulling Buehrle sooner. You have Clayton Richard on the mound today. We'll be damn lucky if he gets through five innings. Knowing that, you've got to make Buehrle eat as many innings as possible. You don't want to destroy your bullpen two days in a row in 110-degree heat. That's just stupid.

Yesterday was not Game 7 of the World Series. Sometimes when you're behind in a game, you have to realize that it just isn't your day and make decisions for the good of the club over the long haul. That's why we saw Ozzie leave Buehrle in. That's why we saw him give the second team some playing time. As it turned out, the reserves almost came back to pull the game out.