PDA

View Full Version : Will Manny cut his dreads off?

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
08-02-2008, 10:24 AM
will he cut his hair for joe

KnightSox
08-02-2008, 10:29 AM
will he cut his hair for joeDoes Torre have an issue with long hair? I know with the Yankees they have pretty tight grooming standards, it wasn't Torres rules.

nysox35
08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Does Torre have an issue with long hair? I know with the Yankees they have pretty tight grooming standards, it wasn't Torres rules.

Right, it was a George Steinbrenner thing, not a Torre thing. I doubt he cuts the hair.

oeo
08-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Right, it was a George Steinbrenner thing, not a Torre thing. I doubt he cuts the hair.

No, I guess Torre has his own rule about that too.

Torre asked Manny how much his hair meant to him, and was asked to cut it. So yes, he will be cutting it.

arKnaD7
08-02-2008, 11:48 AM
i believe he said during his press conference that he will cut it once he gets "settled in".

High Mileage
08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
i believe he said during his press conference that he will cut it once he gets "settled in".

Meaning when he's damned good and ready. It's Manny, and he's only going to be there for two months, is that enough time to get settled in? Time will tell...

whitesox901
08-02-2008, 01:27 PM
he better, If his manager asks him too he should do it without bitching or complaining, you can look stylish in the off-season

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 04:45 PM
He shouldn't have to. He didn't sign a contract to play for Joe Torre or the Dodgers. Now if he signed with LA and it was a team rule when he signed then yes he should have to cut it.

Rocky Soprano
08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
He shouldn't have to. He didn't sign a contract to play for Joe Torre or the Dodgers. Now if he signed with LA and it was a team rule when he signed then yes he should have to cut it.

Yeah **** the rules that the rest of team have to obey. Great team player!
:rolleyes:

EuroSox35
08-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, Torre made a Dodger do it in the Spring, now he asked Manny to do it and he said yes

RKMeibalane
08-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Rules are rules. If a manager asks one of his players to cut his hair, then he must do exactly that.

Period.

Paragraph.

End of discussion.

But, of course, where there is someone to break the rules, there must always be someone to make excuses for them.

Jjav829
08-02-2008, 09:29 PM
He still has them, and he just jacked the first pitch he saw tonight deep to left-center for a 2-run HR.

Vernam
08-02-2008, 10:11 PM
If Ramirez goes short, that will leave Maggs with the undisputed worst hair in MLB. And don't nobody throw AJ's name into that mix. :wink:

Vernam

soxfanreggie
08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
My guess is yes. He sounds like he wants to spend the rest of his career there (probably should be teal)...aka wants to let them know he'd be interested in a 4 year, $100 million contract.

Fenway
08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
It seems Scott Boras has gotten Manny a deal with Supercuts.

:o:

dickallen15
08-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I bet most of his hair hanging out isn't even his. He will need time to have someone undo it for him.

EndemicSox
08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Joe Torre should know better than this...you let sleeping dogs be...

Fenway
08-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Joe Torre should know better than this...you let sleeping dogs be...

Been 11 days and Torre is NOT happy

Manny being hairy, and Torre won't budge (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spwally0812,0,7075635.column)

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/300_MR_extrab.jpg

chaerulez
08-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Why even make this an issue? Why even ask him? Just let him have his hair and play. The guy is easily the best offensive player on the team, I understand the whole team concept but the Dodgers knew the character of player they were getting. It's not like he's a 23 year old trying to make the team, the Dodgers don't have any leverage to make him cut his hair.

Rocky Soprano
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Why even make this an issue? Why even ask him? Just let him have his hair and play. The guy is easily the best offensive player on the team, I understand the whole team concept but the Dodgers knew the character of player they were getting. It's not like he's a 23 year old trying to make the team, the Dodgers don't have any leverage to make him cut his hair.

Its a TEAM concept as you said and now he is part of the TEAM. That's it. He was asked how important his hair was to him and he said he would cut it, now its time to live up to his word.

credefan19
08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
No, I guess Torre has his own rule about that too.

Torre asked Manny how much his hair meant to him, and was asked to cut it. So yes, he will be cutting it.
anyone have a pic?

palehozenychicty
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

Torre knows who is buttering the bread. It never stopped him in New York.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2008, 01:07 AM
With the MLB rule requiring the wearing of a batting helmet when on the bases, and Manny's helmet constantly falling off because of his dreads and babushka, they should require him to have a little-league chinstrap on his helmet to keep it from falling off.

palehozenychicty
08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
With the MLB rule requiring the wearing of a batting helmet when on the bases, and Manny's helmet constantly falling off because of his dreads and babushka, they should require him to have a little-league chinstrap on his helmet to keep it from falling off.

That is funny. :D:

South Side Irish
08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Why are people so tied to this old-fashioned idea of having no facial hair and keeping short hair? I never understood it when I played for coaches with such rules, and I still don't as an adult. Why is making all players look alike important? Why is a coach having, or enforcing, such a silly rule important to controlling members of a team?

I'm sure somebody will give me a diatribe about how I'm young and just don't understand that that's the way it is, but I'd appreciate an intelligent response. Seriously. I'm not being a smartass or snarky, I just would like a good explanation for how acting like this makes a team "better."

Michstate45
08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Why are people so tied to this old-fashioned idea of having no facial hair and keeping short hair? I never understood it when I played for coaches with such rules, and I still don't as an adult. Why is making all players look alike important? Why is a coach having, or enforcing, such a silly rule important to controlling members of a team?

I'm sure somebody will give me a diatribe about how I'm young and just don't understand that that's the way it is, but I'd appreciate an intelligent response. Seriously. I'm not being a smartass or snarky, I just would like a good explanation for how acting like this makes a team "better."

Having everyone keep their hair short and facial hair trimmed gives a team a professional look and also promotes a "team concept". A lot of coaches feel that very long hair or facial hair that is not kept clean draws a lot of attention to the individual.

It's not about having everybody look the same, it's about not having anyone stand out from the others. If that makes any sense at all.

Luke
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM

I guess it depends how you define better. Does it physically make you a better hitter? No, of course not. What it does do, is illustrate that no player is above another player regardless of talent. If that lesson helps a player understand that in some situations your approach is to move a guy over rather going for the gap and striking out, I suppose that makes for a better team.

As far as coaches go, I think it's more a sign of deference. Like it or not, he's the boss on the field, and that's his rule.

From an owner standpoint; They have to market these guys. The same way any employer sets appearance standards in their manual, so will organizations. Some are looser than others, but they do it because they feel there's an inherent value in appearance.

voodoochile
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Having everyone keep their hair short and facial hair trimmed gives a team a professional look and also promotes a "team concept". A lot of coaches feel that very long hair or facial hair that is not kept clean draws a lot of attention to the individual.

It's not about having everybody look the same, it's about not having anyone stand out from the others. If that makes any sense at all.

It's the same thing in the military. You make everyone look the same and then teach them to act the same. It's both intended to promote the concept of oneness, but also to force the player/grunt in question to present a "professional appearance" to the world which in turn (in theory) changes their attitude to a more professional one.

It's really no different than what the Sox were doing with the goofy hair dying and beard growing, just coming from management instead of from teammates.

Edit: It also tells the player/grunt in question, "This is a serious thing we are doing. You need to look and act the part. The time for kiddie toys is over."

Eddo144
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
It's the same thing in the military. You make everyone look the same and then teach them to act the same. It's both intended to promote the concept of oneness, but also to force the player/grunt in question to present a "professional appearance" to the world which in turn (in theory) changes their attitude to a more professional one.

It's really no different than what the Sox were doing with the goofy hair dying and beard growing, just coming from management instead of from teammates.

Edit: It also tells the player/grunt in question, "This is a serious thing we are doing. You need to look and act the part. The time for kiddie toys is over."
Yeah, but the military promotes oneness because they need to feel a bond because they need to trust each other with their lives. That's so far from baseball it's not even funny.

Consider this: baseball is the least team-oriented of all the team sports. In fact, baseball is really a collection of individual battles. In basketball, every shot one player takes means one less opportunity for his teammates. In football, you need all 11 players to be giving full effort for a play to succeed. In baseball, every hit you get only gives your teammates more opportunities, and each time you bat it's you versus the pitcher, there isn't a teammate affecting the pitch or blocking a defender.

Back to the topic at hand, Manny should be considerate of his team's request, but shouldn't be forced to do it. Being a team player is not blindly following orders, but being a considerate and dependable teammate.

voodoochile
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, but the military promotes oneness because they need to feel a bond because they need to trust each other with their lives. That's so far from baseball it's not even funny.

Consider this: baseball is the least team-oriented of all the team sports. In fact, baseball is really a collection of individual battles. In basketball, every shot one player takes means one less opportunity for his teammates. In football, you need all 11 players to be giving full effort for a play to succeed. In baseball, every hit you get only gives your teammates more opportunities, and each time you bat it's you versus the pitcher, there isn't a teammate affecting the pitch or blocking a defender.

Back to the topic at hand, Manny should be considerate of his team's request, but shouldn't be forced to do it. Being a team player is not blindly following orders, but being a considerate and dependable teammate.

O, I agree, but sports teams have always loved military metaphors and systems.

Eddo144
08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
You're right on there, voodoo. And I figured you weren't seriously comparing the Dodgers to the army. (I first read the post before I saw it was you who posted, and I was like, "What a load!")

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2008, 01:03 AM
If you work for me, and I am paying your salary, then I have a right (within reason) to set standards of how I want my organization represented to the public.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 01:11 AM
no way Manny cuts his dreads until the off-season

pierzynski07
08-14-2008, 09:20 PM
It's gone...... somewhat. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3535984)

Eddo144
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
If you work for me, and I am paying your salary, then I have a right (within reason) to set standards of how I want my organization represented to the public.
True, that's to be expected.

However,
- in this case, Torre doesn't run the organization, so it's not quite the same case as your example
- the best people to work for take their employees' desires into account; if an employee really wants to wear his or her hair in a certain way, then a good manager would question why he wants them to cut it, and if it's truly a reason that benefits the organization or if it's just the manager's personal preference

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2008, 12:54 AM
True, that's to be expected.

However,
- in this case, Torre doesn't run the organization, so it's not quite the same case as your example
- the best people to work for take their employees' desires into account; if an employee really wants to wear his or her hair in a certain way, then a good manager would question why he wants them to cut it, and if it's truly a reason that benefits the organization or if it's just the manager's personal preferenceWho said it's only Torre's call? Did you see a lot of long hair or beards on the Dodgers before he came there? I was talking about ownership.

South Side Irish
08-15-2008, 09:14 AM

And long hair makes you look bad? How are the 1920's treating you?

South Side Irish
08-15-2008, 09:18 AM

So they can have power over their subordinates. It does very little to promote "teamwork," and exists only so that coaches and managers can treat people like **** and empower themselves. In a few rare exceptions, it works, but for the vast majority of teams, it's a load of crap.

southside rocks
08-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Torre said that the trim allows Manny's name to be visible on the back of his uniform shirt again. I think that's reasonable. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2008, 08:15 PM
And long hair makes you look bad? How are the 1920's treating you?Dreads make your business look good? How's the ganja treating you?