PDA

View Full Version : 2005 White Sox Playoff Standouts

Madvora
08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I was just thinking about how nearly every single player on the 2005 team had some kind of standout contribution in the playoffs that year and how amazing that was.
There are some I can't think of though

AJ Pierzynski - dropped 3rd strike in ALCS game 2
Joe Crede - drove in the winning run in ALCS game 2
Juan Uribe - catch in the crowd in WS game 4
Tadahito Iguchi - 3 run HR off of David Wells in ALDS game 2
Paul Konerko - grand slam in WS game 2
Scott Podsednik - game winning HR in WS game 2
Jermaine Dye - WS winning RBI in WS game 4
Pablo Ozuna - stole second scored winning run in ALCS game 2
Willie Harris - base hit and score WS winning run in WS game 4
Geoff Blum - game winning HR in WS game 3
Freddy Garcia - ALCS complete game
Jose Contreras - ALCS complete game
Jon Garland - ALCS complete game
Mark Buehrle - ALCS complete game / WS game 3 save
Orlando Hernandez - hocus pocus in Boston
Anything else missing here? I don't remember Rowand or Everett having any real standout moments. Nobody in the bullpen really did either.

eriqjaffe
08-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Nobody in the bullpen really did either.How about when Jenks absolutely blew Jeff Bagwell away?

Or Buehrle's winning and saving consecutive games?

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-02-2008, 11:29 AM
How about when Jenks absolutely blew Jeff Bagwell away?

Yeah, Jenks striking out Bagwell was a great moment. I guess Neal Cotts had a "mini" El Duque-esque moment before Jenks came in. With the tying run at third and the go-ahead run at first with nobody out, Neal Cotts came in and struck out two batters in a row before handing the ball to Bobby Jenks who finished the inning by striking out Jeff Bagwell.

Edit: I guess my memory's a bit rusty. Neal Cotts actually came in and gave up a single which put Berkman on first and Taveras on third. It was still a great showing though, having 2 on with nobody out and managing to keep the Astros from scoring and tying the game or even taking the lead.

Metalthrasher442
08-02-2008, 11:30 AM

I would say Jenks being so young and absolutely dominating.

Madvora
08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I would say Jenks being so young and absolutely dominating.

Yeah, the idea of having a rookie come up for a half season and be put in that type of position is absolutely nuts.

sageofthesox
08-02-2008, 11:51 AM
The Cotts/Jenks strike-out-the-side effort would become my favorite moment in White Sox history, if only for 24 hours. Konerko's slam remains the defining moment of that glorious run, which now makes it doubly painful to watch Paul struggle this year.

munchman33
08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
:threadrules:

TDog
08-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Anything else missing here? I don't remember Rowand or Everett having any real standout moments. Nobody in the bullpen really did either.

Rowand scored the go-ahead run in the eighth inning of Game 5 of the ALCS from second base on on infield single. The score was tied 3-3 with two outs against Rodriguez. Crede got an infield hit up the middle. Rowand scored to make it 4-3. The Sox scored two more in a sloppy ninth inning to make the final score 6-3 (the second scoring on a Rowand sacrifice fly that ended up being an inning-ending doubleplay with Konerko being thrown out at third), but Rowand scored the winning run in the game from second on a ball that didn't get to the outfielders.

Bobby Jenks had World Series saves in Games 1 and 4. He blew the save in Game 2 and pitched scoreless innings in Game 3.

Also, if you go back and look at the final two innings of World Series Game 4, you'll see that the eighth ended on a great play by Uribe with the tying run on third. But for the sacrifice bunt in the ninth (why you would give up an out when you are losing with only three outs left and you're three games down in the World Series?), Uribe's defense took control of the game. I don't look at the play in the stands in isolation. It was as if no one wanted to win that night more than Juan Uribe, despite going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.

whitesox901
08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I was just thinking about how nearly every single player on the 2005 team had some kind of standout contribution in the playoffs that year and how amazing that was.
There are some I can't think of though

AJ Pierzynski - dropped 3rd strike in ALCS game 2
Joe Crede - drove in the winning run in ALCS game 2
Juan Uribe - catch in the crowd in WS game 4
Tadahito Iguchi - 3 run HR off of David Wells in ALDS game 2
Paul Konerko - grand slam in WS game 2
Scott Podsednik - game winning HR in WS game 2
Jermaine Dye - WS winning RBI in WS game 4
Pablo Ozuna - stole second scored winning run in ALCS game 2
Willie Harris - base hit and score WS winning run in WS game 4
Geoff Blum - game winning HR in WS game 3
Freddy Garcia - ALCS complete game
Jose Contreras - ALCS complete game
Jon Garland - ALCS complete game
Mark Buehrle - ALCS complete game / WS game 3 save
Orlando Hernandez - hocus pocus in BostonAnything else missing here? I don't remember Rowand or Everett having any real standout moments. Nobody in the bullpen really did either.

there was alot of personal contribution yes, but to say Rowand, Carl or the pen did nothing is unfair, that season, and postseason was a team effort.

Madvora
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
there was alot of personal contribution yes, but to say Rowand, Carl or the pen did nothing is unfair, that season, and postseason was a team effort.
What are you talking about??? I never said they did nothing.

The thread is about standout contributions. When you think of each of these players, you can think of one huge moment in the playoffs that they were part of.

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2008, 04:03 PM

He didn't win game 2 of the WS

Ragator43
08-02-2008, 04:28 PM
[/b]

He didn't win game 2 of the WS

Didn't Marte get the win?

kevingrt
08-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Marte got the win in Game Three. He was not that goo late in the season but did his job in the WS.

DumpJerry
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
The Bullpen was MIA in the ALCS.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, those guys were nowhere to be seen.

ChiSoxFan7
08-03-2008, 03:38 AM
i know juans play in the crowd that if he had been wearing number 2 in NY would have gone down as one of the greatest in WS histroy......but his final out to end the game was damn near as impressive as the crowd catch

RadioheadRocks
08-03-2008, 03:46 AM

Marte got the win in Game Three. He was not that goo late in the season but did his job in the WS.

Cotts got the win in Game #2.

RadioheadRocks
08-03-2008, 03:48 AM
I'd give Carl Everett a high-five for giving it right back to Phil Garner for all his bitching after Oswalt plunked Crede in his second at-bat in inning #5 of Game #3. :thumbsup:

FarWestChicago
08-03-2008, 07:57 AM
i know juans play in the crowd that if he had been wearing number 2 in NY would have gone down as one of the greatest in WS histroy......but his final out to end the game was damn near as impressive as the crowd catchYou got that right. :thumbsup:

eriqjaffe
08-03-2008, 11:08 AM
He didn't win game 2 of the WSWhat was I thinking?

I meant to say "started game two and saved game three".

SoxGirl4Life
08-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I was going through some stuff and I found my ticket stubs for all of the Game 2's of the post season.

What incredible memories. :)