PDA

View Full Version : Manny wearing....number 99?!

Shoeless
08-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Number 99?! Does anyone else think that's the most awkward baseball number they have ever seen? Who else has worn number 99?

Thome25
08-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Number 99?! Does anyone else think that's the most awkward baseball number they have ever seen? Who else has worn number 99?

Turk Wendell and Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams. Also, fictional character Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn from "Major League"

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Wayne Gretzky with the Kings, hahaha.

Thome25
08-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Todd Hundley also wore the #99 for the Cubs in 2001 and Oscar Munoz wore the number for the Twins in 1995. The highest number ever worn during the regular season by a White Sox player was #73 by Tony Phillips in 1997.

I highly reccommend the book "Now Batting, Number" By Jack Looney.....it gives a comprehensive history of MLB uniform numbers.

You don't see the #99 very often in MLB that's for sure. I'm not sure why....I kinda like the quirky higher numbers like the 77's, 88's, 99's, 72's, and 73's.

Dennis Rodman did it in the NBA....more players in MLB should do it too.

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Large numbers while rare have existed. Fisk wore 72, but he just switched around his 27 from the Red Sox.

Zito wears 75.

Howry on the other side of town wears 62.

So Taguchi wore 81 or something like that with the Cards and wears 99 now with the Phillies.

Gagne wore 80 something with the Red Sox last year.

This ESPN Uni Watch article (http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060413) notes that the 2006 Red Sox probably had the first team with two guys wearing a jersey with a number higher than 75 in Josh Bard and J.T. Snow.

As the previous poster, Wendell and the real Wild Thing also wore 99 although I think they both were influenced by the movie character. On the subject of Wendell, I always like that guy, he was vocal about Bonds and Sosa on roids and he just seemed like he truly played the game for fun.

Thome25
08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
The book I mentioned above also talks about how pitchers rarely ever wear single digit numbers. It's some kind of unwritten rule that they don't wear single digit numbers.

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Todd Hundley also wore the #99 for the Cubs in 2001 and Oscar Munoz wore the number for the Twins in 1995. The highest number ever worn during the regular season by a White Sox player was #73 by Tony Phillips in 1997.

I highly reccommend the book "Now Batting, Number" By Jack Looney.....it gives a comprehensive history of MLB uniform numbers.

I forgot about Tony Phillips, I don't know how since as a little kid I remember liking the dude just because he wore a large number. He also played 10 years too late as he would've been the posterboy "Moneyball" player instead of Scott Hatteberg.

And Hundley, man was he awful for the Cubs, that's what you get when you sign a guy that was on PED's.

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Large numbers while rare have existed. Fisk wore 72, but he just switched around his 27 from the Red Sox.

Zito wears 75.

Howry on the other side of town wears 62.

So Taguchi wore 81 or something like that with the Cards and wears 99 now with the Phillies.

Gagne wore 80 something with the Red Sox last year.

This ESPN Uni Watch article (http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060413) notes that the 2006 Red Sox probably had the first team with two guys wearing a jersey with a number higher than 75 in Josh Bard and J.T. Snow.

As the previous poster, Wendell and the real Wild Thing also wore 99 although I think they both were influenced by the movie character. On the subject of Wendell, I always like that guy, he was vocal about Bonds and Sosa on roids and he just seemed like he truly played the game for fun.

Wendell was extremely superstious and thought the number 9 was good luck. This is why he wore 99. His contract also had as many 9s in it as possible. For example instead of the number 5,000,000 (or whatever it was) he had 4,999,999.99.

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 10:25 AM
The book I mentioned above also talks about how pitchers rarely ever wear single digit numbers. It's some kind of unwritten rule that they don't wear single digit numbers.

When baseball first started using numbers the starting lineup took 1-8 based on their spot in the lineup. The starting pitchers took 10-14 (13 was usually skipped) and the rest of the team took the rest. That's why high numbers are rare, those are the numbers assigned to players who come into spring training that have to make the team to stick around. The thought always was the higher the number you got, the less chance you had to make the team.

I don't know if that's an unwritten rule anymore as many traditions from the past generations have kind of died out, but I think the teams tend to assign the lower numbers to position players. Plus a lot of players wear numbers in honor of someone else, so if you are a pitcher you probably want to wear a number a pitcher wore.

The only active pitcher with a single digit number is Josh Towers of the Rockies with 7. I could be wrong about that though.

Thome25
08-02-2008, 10:28 AM
When baseball first started using numbers the starting lineup took 1-8 based on their spot in the lineup. The starting pitchers took 10-14 (13 was usually skipped) and the rest of the team took the rest. That's why high numbers are rare, those are the numbers assigned to players who come into spring training that have to make the team to stick around. The thought always was the higher the number you got, the less chance you had to make the team.

I don't know if that's an unwritten rule anymore as many traditions from the past generations have kind of died out, but I think the teams tend to assign the lower numbers to position players. Plus a lot of players wear numbers in honor of someone else, so if you are a pitcher you probably want to wear a number a pitcher wore.

The only active pitcher with a single digit number is Josh Towers of the Rockies with 7. I could be wrong about that though.

You're right about the #13......baseball players past and present have thought that #13 is unlucky and most teams have skipped it.

#13 is a number you don't see very often....Ozzie Guillen and Arod are in the minority when it comes to that number.

Thome25
08-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I forgot about Tony Phillips, I don't know how since as a little kid I remember liking the dude just because he wore a large number. He also played 10 years too late as he would've been the posterboy "Moneyball" player instead of Scott Hatteberg.

And Hundley, man was he awful for the Cubs, that's what you get when you sign a guy that was on PED's.

Tony Phillips actually started out wearing #8 for the White Sox but switched #73 when Albert Belle joined the team following the 1996 season.

BRDSR
08-02-2008, 10:49 AM
You're right about the #13......baseball players past and present have thought that #13 is unlucky and most teams have skipped it.

#13 is a number you don't see very often....Ozzie Guillen and Arod are in the minority when it comes to that number.

Speaking of A-Rod, which reminds me of the Yankees, which reminds me of my June trip to Yankee Stadium, which reminds of their retired numbers...according to this site:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/retired_numbers.jsp

once the Yankees retire Jeter's Number 2, they'll have only one single digit number left: 6. They should assign it to some rising star and then nobody will ever wear a single-digit Yankee uniform again.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Speaking of A-Rod, which reminds me of the Yankees, which reminds me of my June trip to Yankee Stadium, which reminds of their retired numbers...according to this site:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/retired_numbers.jsp

once the Yankees retire Jeter's Number 2, they'll have only one single digit number left: 6. They should assign it to some rising star and then nobody will ever wear a single-digit Yankee uniform again.6 will likely be retired for Joe Torre.
Tony Phillips actually started out wearing #8 for the White Sox but switched #73 when Albert Belle joined the team following the 1996 season.Not only that, but when Belle went to Baltimore, Cal Ripken had his number #8, so he wore #88.

Thome25
08-02-2008, 11:06 AM
OK I did some research and as far as I can tell, the #99 has only been worn by 8 players in MLB history.

Here's the list:

Mitch Williams--Several years and several different teams.

Turk Wendell--Several years and several different teams.

So Taguchi--Several years. Wore the number for the Cards and Phillies.

Willie Crawford--A's 1977.

Oscar Munoz--Twins 1995.

Gar Vallone--Angels 1998.

Todd Hundley--Cubs 2001.

Manny Ramirez--Dodgers 2008.

Two things I noticed during my research:

Alot of Asian ballplayers have worn higher numbers. Not sure why that is, maybe it has something to do with the numbering system in their home countries.

In 1995, there was alot of players wearing numbers in the 90's. This probably has to do with the replacement players that year.

As a side note, kudos to the person who started this thread. It has become very interesting.

I wish more players would wear higher numbers in MLB. I think it's cool and as I said before, Dennis Rodman did it in the NBA so more players in MLB should do it.

BRDSR
08-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I wish more players would wear higher numbers in MLB. I think it's cool and as I said before, Dennis Rodman did it in the NBA so more players in MLB should do it.

LOL...I don't argue that higher numbers are cool, but am I the only one that finds it strange that MLB players should wear them because Rodman wore one?

Roman, forgot about Torre. Do you really think they'll retire his number after the way he left (not winning a title for seven years or whatever)? I could see if maybe he also played for the Yankees, but his playing days were entirely in the NL (pretty good player, too: 2,343 hits, .287 BA, 1,185 RBI, 252 HR).

I don't know why I find it cool that the single digits are out for the Yankees. I guess it's just the history of the organization and the number of really talented players that have played for it. As much as I hate them now, you can't argue that they've been the most historically talented franchise in baseball history.

Thome25
08-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Alot of teams follow numbering systems. For example, one team sets aside #1-15 for catchers and infielders. 20's for outfielders and pitchers are kept in the 30's and 40's. That team is the Blue Jays....obviously things don't always work out perfectly that way.

In the 1960's the Phillies tried a set numbering system by position like the NFL does.

The Twins try to keep their coaches numbers in the 30's and 40's.

Thome25
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
LOL...I don't argue that higher numbers are cool, but am I the only one that finds it strange that MLB players should wear them because Rodman wore one?

Roman, forgot about Torre. Do you really think they'll retire his number after the way he left (not winning a title for seven years or whatever)? I could see if maybe he also played for the Yankees, but his playing days were entirely in the NL (pretty good player, too: 2,343 hits, .287 BA, 1,185 RBI, 252 HR).

I don't know why I find it cool that the single digits are out for the Yankees. I guess it's just the history of the organization and the number of really talented players that have played for it. As much as I hate them now, you can't argue that they've been the most historically talented franchise in baseball history.

With Rodman, I was just pointing out a similar trend that was started in another sport which was also pretty cool and the trend should be more popular in MLB IMO.

That was my point.

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 11:33 AM

I don't see how they don't retire Torre's number. He and the Steinbrenners might not be best friends, but he has a big place in Yankee history.

BRDSR
08-02-2008, 11:37 AM
With Rodman, I was just pointing out a similar trend that was started in another sport which was also pretty cool and the trend should be more popular in MLB IMO.

That was my point.

Ah, I guess I didn't realize that it actually started a trend in the NBA. Not a big basketball fan.

LongLiveFisk
08-02-2008, 12:05 PM
once the Yankees retire Jeter's Number 2, they'll have only one single digit number left: 6.

I don't think Jeter's number should be retired.

Shoeless
08-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Seconded. One of the most overrated players in baseball.

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM

The Brewers batboy does.

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Seconded. One of the most overrated players in baseball.
He's the face of the franchise for what will probably be 25 years. 40 years from now you'll here Yankees and the names connected will be Ruth, DiMaggio, Berra, Maris, Mantle and Jeter. WHether you like or not its the truth. Side-note I also think he is over-rated.

BRDSR
08-02-2008, 12:56 PM
He's the face of the franchise for what will probably be 25 years. 40 years from now you'll here Yankees and the names connected will be Ruth, DiMaggio, Berra, Maris, Mantle and Jeter. WHether you like or not its the truth. Side-note I also think he is over-rated.

Yup. I wasn't making any comment about whether his number should be retired when I commented on when it would be retired.

He's good, not great, and for some reason has been elevated to a god-like status by Yankees fans. His number is definitely getting retired.

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 01:00 PM

He is overrated, but somehow he become the face of the franchise. That alone will get his ticket into Cooperstown. It's also the reason I think Ortiz will be the first DH to be in the HOF if he can reach 500 HRs and 2000 RBI simply because he has been the face of the Red Sox in their two championship seasons. But in terms of Jeter, Posada and Bernie Williams had just as much to do with their titles in terms of position players and I don't think either will have much of a shot to go to the HOF. Although I think Jeter will finish with well over 3000 hits in his career, so you can't say he wouldn't be a HOF on a different team. And he does have an above average bat at a defensive position, but his bad defense might cancel that out. Regardless, Jeter is overrated but if you end up having 3,000 hits, all with the same team your number deserves to be retired by said team.

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Yup. I wasn't making any comment about whether his number should be retired when I commented on when it would be retired.

He's good, not great, and for some reason has been elevated to a god-like status by Yankees fans. His number is definitely getting retired.
The play against Oakland (still think Giambi was safe), Mr. November, home grown talent with a career average that is high, multiple all star games. If Derek Jeter was a life-long member of the Sox and we had 4 titles in his run and he was the undoubted captain we would probably alreeady retired his number even though he is active.

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 01:03 PM
He is overrated, but somehow he become the face of the franchise. That alone will get his ticket into Cooperstown. It's also the reason I think Ortiz will be the first DH to be in the HOF if he can reach 500 HRs and 2000 RBI simply because he has been the face of the Red Sox in their two championship seasons. But in terms of Jeter, Posada and Bernie Williams had just as much to do with their titles in terms of position players and I don't think either will have much of a shot to go to the HOF. Although I think Jeter will finish with well over 3000 hits in his career, so you can't say he wouldn't be a HOF on a different team. And he does have an above average bat at a defensive position, but his bad defense might cancel that out. Regardless, Jeter is overrated but if you end up having 3,000 hits, all with the same team your number deserves to be retired by said team.
His errors won't be remembered his Gold Gloves will be (as garbage and as much of a popularity contest as it is).

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
His errors won't be remembered his Gold Gloves will be (as garbage and as much of a popularity contest as it is).

Jeter's problem was really never errors, he was simply the face his range at the position was always one of the worst in the league.

kba
08-02-2008, 02:26 PM

I think this one is more awkward:

http://static.flickr.com/55/110560984_4e1ac86cb5_m.jpg

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I think this one is more awkward:

http://static.flickr.com/55/110560984_4e1ac86cb5_m.jpg
That's awesome! Who wore that number?

If I were to wear a number, it would be an irrational one: http://www.eduhound.com/newsletter/030807_pi_symbol.gif
What # would be everyone else's choices?

kba
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Eddie Gaedel (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2001/0816/1240553.html), the midget that Bill Veeck's St. Louis Browns used as a pitch hitter in 1951. (Look at the little photo below the jersey in the Hall of Fame display.)

If you haven't read Veeck's autobiography - Veeck as in Wreck, it's worth picking up just to read the first chapter about Gaedel.

Shoeless
08-02-2008, 03:15 PM

If I were to wear a number, it would be an irrational one: http://www.eduhound.com/newsletter/030807_pi_symbol.gif
What # would be everyone else's choices?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:_O3QC_ow6V8-iM:http://www.greeknstuff.com/images/GreekLetters/phi1.GIF otherwise, i gotta go with 13.

LongLiveFisk
08-02-2008, 03:58 PM
:hijacked:

I take the blame for starting with the retiring Jeter's # issue. :redface::tongue:

Everyone can resume talking about Manny wearing #99 again!

1908<2005
08-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I heard he is switching to 30.

Railsplitter
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Giants pitcher Bill Voiselle came from a town called Ninety-Six in South Carolina (so named for the distance from Charleston) Voiselle wore 96.

There was once a player named Johnny Neves who wore a revesred 7 in the minor leagues. .

I want Mags back
08-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Dennis Rodman did it in the NBA so more players in MLB should do it.
Rodman wore 91 with the Bulls and 73 with the Lakers. Both were done because the 2 digits add to 10, his number for years with the Pistons and spurs

lukeman89
08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Rodman wore 91 with the Bulls and 73 with the Lakers. Both were done because the 2 digits add to 10, his number for years with the Pistons and spurs

i remember hearing him say that it was 73 because he had made 7 all defensive teams, and had 3 rebounding titles or something like that

Railsplitter
08-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Max Patkin:?
Youppi: !
Any one of the Three Stooges, 6 7/8

I want Mags back
08-03-2008, 09:43 PM
i remember hearing him say that it was 73 because he had made 7 all defensive teams, and had 3 rebounding titles or something like that

I like your answer better. :D:

i know the 9+1 is a fact, maybe 7+3 was just a coincidence

C-Dawg
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Things could be worse; remember the various "0" and "00" uniform numbers that appeared for awhile in the 70s.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Eddie Gaedel (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2001/0816/1240553.html), the midget that Bill Veeck's St. Louis Browns used as a pitch hitter in 1951. (Look at the little photo below the jersey in the Hall of Fame display.)

If you haven't read Veeck's autobiography - Veeck as in Wreck, it's worth picking up just to read the first chapter about Gaedel.

That's a great story you posted a link to. I never tire of reading about Gaedel and Bill Veeck. The story surrounding Saucier makes it even more interesting.

MisterB
08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:_O3QC_ow6V8-iM:http://www.greeknstuff.com/images/GreekLetters/phi1.GIF otherwise, i gotta go with 13.

My favorite: http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/e/f/5/ef5590434a387b3c4427e09d5b08baaf.png

Railsplitter
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
When the Giants were palying the Cardinals in the 1987 NLCS, the Giants had an outfielder named Jeffery Leonard.His number was 00 and he made disparging remarks about St. Louis while the middle three games were played in San Francisco. When the teams returned to St. Louis, Cards fans made a sign reading HEY JEFFERY, IS THAT YOUR I.Q.?