PDA

View Full Version : Is Laurence Holmes on something?

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 02:32 AM
With all due respect, I usually like listening to him; but, today, Laurence Holmes just left me shaking my head while I was stuck on the Edens this morning. He started off his show telling all Cub fans to thump their chests (when their team has a century-long drought), and that the NL Central divisional race is OVER.

Does he even realize that there are still a couple months left in the season, and the lead they built up in the past week could vanish just as quickly? The Cardinals are never out of it, and Milwaukee seriously had a major hiccup in that four-game series. They're better than what they displayed.

Did anyone else listen to his show today?

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 02:46 AM
I think the Cards are still overachieving and will fall out of contention. They've become the Twins of the NL though in a way, not so great on paper but somehow stay in contention with a bunch of scrappy annoying players. The Brewers are real, while I don't think the race is over since the Mets showed last year you can't take any division lead for granted, the Cubs still have to be considered the favorites.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 03:03 AM
I think the Cards are still overachieving and will fall out of contention. They've become the Twins of the NL though in a way, not so great on paper but somehow stay in contention with a bunch of scrappy annoying players.
There's a big reason for that: Tony LaRussa. That guy knows how to get the best out of his players. They've been much better than the Twins when it really counts too.

chaerulez
08-02-2008, 03:05 AM
There's a big reason for that: Tony LaRussa. That guy knows how to get the best out of his players. They've been much better than the Twins when it really counts too.

Yeah he deserves a lot of credit, I can't stand the guy though, he is a jackass.

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah he deserves a lot of credit, I can't stand the guy though, he is a jackass.At least Gardenhire seems like a guy you'd like to have a couple of beers with. LaRussa is a pivot point for the steroid era.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 06:51 AM
There's a big reason for that: Tony LaRussa. That guy knows how to get the best out of his players. They've been much better than the Twins when it really counts too.It's called STEROIDS. It's not some mysterious force.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Yeah he deserves a lot of credit, I can't stand the guy though, he is a jackass.He's not just a jackass, he's a cheating jackass.

twinsuck1
08-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Laurence HolmesIs no dummy! He just got his own show on the Score and he knows that Cubs fans will eat that Cubby love up and continue to listen to him If he keeps filling their heads with that stuff. As proud a Sox fan I am, I know that we are out numbered In this city probably 3 to 1 so why should he not spew this stuff especially when the Cubs are In first place and just give the Brewers a beating. He's just going to gain more listeners. It just makes sense.

(On a side note, I always thought Laurence sounded like a cool guy on the radio but reading the Chicago sports fans forums I guess alot of people who have met him at Score remote shows say he Is a real douche....)

Mr.Creosote
08-02-2008, 08:57 AM
(On a side note, I always thought Laurence sounded like a cool guy on the radio but reading the Chicago sports fans forums I guess alot of people who have met him at Score remote shows say he Is a real douche....)

Do NOT call me Larry!

white sox bill
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I actually like when cub fans start thier end zone celebrating on the 20 yd line. Its called Karma and the baseball Gods don't look favorably on such behavior. So let them talk thier crap

hose
08-02-2008, 09:58 AM
The Cubs just got done destroying the Brewers in a crucial 4 game series. Cub fans have every reason to give a shout out about their team.

Shoeless
08-02-2008, 10:38 AM
He's caught the Mike Greenberg superlative flu. "This is the best..." "they are running away...". and blah blah blah.

SaltyPretzel
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Cubs fans thump their chests when they're 10 games under .500 anyways.

AnkleSox
08-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I know that we are out numbered In this city probably 3 to 1

Not in the city. Maybe in the suburbs and Iowa.

CubKilla
08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I guess the Chicago mediots didn't learn after 2003 or 2007.

Just makes it all the sweeter when the Cubs go down in flames.

DumpJerry
08-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Get over it. The Cubs are in First. The chances of the Cubs winning their division is pretty much a lock barring a catastrophic injury. They have held onto first despite two long trips to the DL by Soriano, the guy whom they count on to carry them. The Cards don't have what it takes to maintain a chase and the Brewers are pretenders, just like last year. The Cubs will have a tough time in the playoffs. The Mets and Phillies will own them on the road and Lou is not a good playoff manager (see: 116 win Mariners). The Cubs (and the rest of MLB) match up well with the NL West, but the NL West will not be in the NLCS.

As long as the White Sox are in First, why do you care what people say or do about the Cubs and their playoff chances? Sit back, strap it down and enjoy the Sox' 25+ win column turnaround from last year!

turners56
08-02-2008, 01:22 PM
With all due respect, I usually like listening to him; but, today, Laurence Holmes just left me shaking my head while I was stuck on the Edens this morning. He started off his show telling all Cub fans to thump their chests (when their team has a century-long drought), and that the NL Central divisional race is OVER.

Does he even realize that there are still a couple months left in the season, and the lead they built up in the past week could vanish just as quickly? The Cardinals are never out of it, and Milwaukee seriously had a major hiccup in that four-game series. They're better than what they displayed.

It's not over, but it almost is.

Adele_H
08-02-2008, 01:44 PM

Lawrence Holmes is ok as a Bears "beat" guy on B&B and by all accounts a nice guy, but he has waaays to before he's legit on his own.

Milwakee's inexperience really showed against the Cubs who don't even play that well on the Road. They really need healthy Gallardo back as soon as possible and Cardinals need just-returned Carpenter to hold up and Wainright to come back, plus a good reliever off the waivers - because you can only go so far with that pen and relievers starting games.

Cubs are the favorites, unfortunately. Doesn't mean they can't be caught especially if Zambrano, Harden are hurt again.

As for the Score, Dan Bernstein is the only guy who's consistently listenable IMO over there, but even he gets too sophomoric for his own good at times. At 25 that's fine. But at 38, you should be above certain things.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Well said Dump.

chisoxmike
08-02-2008, 07:00 PM

It is over though. The Brewers and Cardinals aren't very good teams.

Frontman
08-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I could care less what Holmes thinks of the Cubs and the Cubs fanbase.

I'm more concerned with the Sox and their fanbase......

the1tab
08-02-2008, 07:12 PM
At least Gardenhire seems like a guy you'd like to have a couple of beers with. LaRussa is a pivot point for the steroid era.

You could have a couple beers w/ LaRussa...

Someone might find you both asleep in his car on the street the next morning.

Vienna
08-02-2008, 09:17 PM
You could have a couple beers w/ LaRussa...

Someone might find you both asleep in his car on the street the next morning.
:D:

Viva Medias B's
08-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Laurence Holmes is generally good, but there are times he becomes a very arrogant know-it-all who pats himself on the back whenever it turns out that he is right.

Frontman
08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Laurence Holmes is generally good, but there are times he becomes a very arrogant know-it-all who pats himself on the back whenever it turns out that he is right.

That could be said for just about everyone in sports talk radio, though. They really think their opinion is better than say yours or mine since they get paid for it; even though a good number of times, I don't think they even bother to think before speaking.

Honestly, anyone can watch a game and then talk about it. Guys like Steve Stone who actually study the entire whole of a sports franchise and its league are the one's worth listening to and putting up with their self-approval.

Case in point. This whole Brett Favre issue. Its shocking to some over on ESPN that the Packers don't want Brett, how can they not want Brett, doesn't Brett give them the best chance to win, how could they think Aaron Rodgers is better than Brett, after everything Brett has done for that team, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Does anyone at that station think maybe, just maybe; and I might be crazy here as an "observer" in saying this:

The Packers front office is sick of the guy?!?!?

The same could be said about our local coverage of issues. They don't know how to think, they know how to ramble on. Mike Murphy is a prime example of this. To this day, he still thinks Jaqcue Jones was a complete waste; even though for a good stretch, he carried the Cubs last season. But don't let facts get in the way of patting himself on the back THIS season.

Dan Berstein, one of the local guys I actually like; can do this as well. He really gets onto Cubs fans for the 'nickname of all Cubs players' routine; yet eariler this summer was insisting that Carlos Quentin 'deserves' a nickname.

Like I said, I think a lot of sports radio is get on, start rambling, and get folks to keep listening no matter how stupid you sound.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Chisox Mike:

If the Brewers make the post season they could be a very, very dangerous team. Sabathia and Sheets in a short series could be deadly, their only drawback is that basically that don't have a lot of experience in these situations.

But if they make it, they could go a long way.

Lip

white sox bill
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
This pains me to say--cubs will win Central with little or no problems at all

PatK
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I can't see how anyone can say that the race is over.

Remember last year's Mets?

Or the 15 game lead the 2005 White Sox nearly pissed away?

Funny, I remember 3 years ago getting blasted on this site saying the Sox would end up winning their division during the first week of August.

Cubs have a great team, but it's not over until someone's clinched.

FielderJones
08-04-2008, 12:13 AM
The Cubs are a good team. Right now they are favored to win the NL Central. But I just checked on the MLB site, and they haven't started awarding championships in August yet. Two months is a long time, and baseball is a strange game. Stranger things have happened than blowing a five game lead with two months to play.

But hey, if it makes you feel good, say the season is over. I'll wait for reality.

Brewski
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking of a first round playoff matchup like 2000:Jerry vs. Lou. Only this time Jerry drives a stake through the hearts of Cubs fans everywhere.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking of a first round playoff matchup like 2000:Jerry vs. Lou. Only this time Jerry drives a stake through the hearts of Cubs fans everywhere.
That would be fine by me. I personally think that whomever wins the NL East will be the NL's World Series representative anyways.

Adele_H
08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Chisox Mike:

If the Brewers make the post season they could be a very, very dangerous team. Sabathia and Sheets in a short series could be deadly, their only drawback is that basically that don't have a lot of experience in these situations.

But if they make it, they could go a long way.

Lip

LipMan:

Brewers are going to make it if not by winning the division, then via the Wild Card, by a sizeable margin if Gallardo comes back on schedule.

[Assuming Mets and Dodgers win their respective divisions by virtue of their deeper pockets if nothing else].... St. Loius can still stun the world and make a Colorado Rockies-like move, but again, that won't happen without both Carpernter and Wainright. Phillies simply don't have the starting pitching. Marlins are too young and were hurt by losing their run producer in Cabrera. D-backs and Colorado dug themselves too big a hole with their 2-month long ineptitude.

Sabathia and Sheets are formiddable no question. But frankly, I'd be more worried about Zambrano-Harden-Dempster trio that reminds me of the Colon-Buerhle-Loaiza from 2003...

fquaye149
08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Get over it. The Cubs are in First. The chances of the Cubs winning their division is pretty much a lock barring a catastrophic injury. They have held onto first despite two long trips to the DL by Soriano, the guy whom they count on to carry them. The Cards don't have what it takes to maintain a chase and the Brewers are pretenders, just like last year. The Cubs will have a tough time in the playoffs. The Mets and Phillies will own them on the road and Lou is not a good playoff manager (see: 116 win Mariners). The Cubs (and the rest of MLB) match up well with the NL West, but the NL West will not be in the NLCS.

As long as the White Sox are in First, why do you care what people say or do about the Cubs and their playoff chances? Sit back, strap it down and enjoy the Sox' 25+ win column turnaround from last year!

Um....what?

TommyJohn
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
He MUST be on something, to answer CSF's question. he just said on the Score that the Twins won last night and the Sox were now a game back. I thought "wha? Am I cracking up? Did I not read here last night that Seattle won?" Well, a quick check shows I am not cracking up. The Twins lost. Holmes is just sloppy and unprepared.

SOXPHILE
08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Holmes is just sloppy and unprepared.

...and an extremely arrogant rude ******* too. He does enjoy telling those tall tales of all those ladies he picks up. (Sure, right Larry.:rolleyes:) He also almost made the majors too, because he played on the club baseball team at DePaul, and once tried out for an MLB team. (I did too. It's called "open tryouts" that teams occasionally hold. So, again, :rolleyes:) Don't call him Larry, or he'll punch you in the throat. He's a badass, you know.