PDA

View Full Version : MLB.TV is freaking AMAZING.

scarsofthumper
08-02-2008, 01:12 AM
So I didn't get a chance to do the whole All-Star free trial, so I did the 5 day one they have now.

MLB.TV Mosaic is EASILY the best part. Can watch up to 6 games at once and have live stats as the game progresses, and is a stand alone program.

Best part? Well it decides your blackout based on your billing zip code. My home zip (60564) comes up as this:
U.S. ZIP code "60564" is located within the home television territory of the following Club(s), and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):

Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs HOWEVER, my billing zip (60133) comes up as this:

60133 is either not a U.S. ZIP Code or one that is not subject to home territory blackout restrictions within the U.S. for any MLB Club.

So I figure it's an error. Just for the hell of it, I put on the Sox/Royals game, and BAM. I'm watching it via FSN Kansas City. SCORE! So if you live or have your billing zip in Hanover Park, IL, you don't have a MLB blackout :)

BleacherBandit
08-02-2008, 01:17 AM
I was wondering about getting MLB.tv

How much does it cost? I'd check out the free trial, but I don't want to absolutely love it and then be dissapointed when I can't renew it because of it's high fee. :whiner:

scarsofthumper
08-02-2008, 02:24 AM
For the rest of the season it's only $29.99 which isn't bad for 2 months worth of games.

It's worth it just for MLB.tv Mosaic

Whitesoxfan23
08-02-2008, 02:31 AM
MLBTv is awesome. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I live in Oklahoma, so when the Sox play the Royals I can't ever watch live. I wish there was a way around this, but my billing address zip code is blacked out. Other than that, it is well worth the money in my opinion.

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I've had it for years and don't know what I'd do without it.

There are good nights and bad when servers upstream from me are struggling, but 90% of the time I am basically watching a TV broadcast with a little less definition. I just pay for the regular speed download but if you've got the capability to support the higher ones and it matters to you, I assume even the other stuff would improve.

BleacherBandit
08-02-2008, 09:30 AM
For the rest of the season it's only $29.99 which isn't bad for 2 months worth of games.

It's worth it just for MLB.tv Mosaic

How much would having it for the whole season cost? Or is it just a flat out $29.99 fee?

Rockin Robin
08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi, this is Victor Martinez...

It really is a pretty great value for those of us living far away from Chicago. One thing I've been wanting to do lately is hook up my laptop to my TV so I can watch it there. Anybody know the process? Even if it doesn't look all that great.

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
How much would having it for the whole season cost? Or is it just a flat out $29.99 fee?

I've had it for years. I think it's around $80 for the year. I get crazy when--like last night--the service keeps going bananas and you have to keep rebooting it, but most of the time it's worth it.

Lukin13
08-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I haven't done this but I am pretty sure that you can buy a prepaid Visa gift card and use it.

When paying, use your billing address as Alaska....

Bet that will work for everyone :cool:

nedlug
08-02-2008, 01:01 PM
U.S. ZIP code "60564" is located within the home television territory of the following Club(s), and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):

Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs

How can you check what the blackoutrestrictions are for your ZIP?

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I've had it for years. I think it's around $80 for the year. I get crazy when--like last night--the service keeps going bananas and you have to keep rebooting it, but most of the time it's worth it.

Okay, it wasn't just me. I was going nuts with the reloading, but that's the only time I've had it that bad. If it's that bad, it's normally not available, but that's rare. One in 10 broadcasts I have serious issues I would say and then it's like 1 frame per 1/2 second so you can still follow the action, it's jut not smooth...

turners56
08-02-2008, 01:15 PM
So I didn't get a chance to do the whole All-Star free trial, so I did the 5 day one they have now.

MLB.TV Mosaic is EASILY the best part. Can watch up to 6 games at once and have live stats as the game progresses, and is a stand alone program.

Best part? Well it decides your blackout based on your billing zip code. My home zip (60564) comes up as this:
Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs HOWEVER, my billing zip (60133) comes up as this:

60133 is either not a U.S. ZIP Code or one that is not subject to home territory blackout restrictions within the U.S. for any MLB Club.

So I figure it's an error. Just for the hell of it, I put on the Sox/Royals game, and BAM. I'm watching it via FSN Kansas City. SCORE! So if you live or have your billing zip in Hanover Park, IL, you don't have a MLB blackout :)

You can always just use a proxy...like me.

RowanDye
08-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Better call them and check the blackout rules for your area. I moved to Bloomington, IN from Virginia and got screwed out of all the money I paid for the premium package.

I'm blacked out from Sox, Cubs, and Reds games!

Not sure about what the previous poster was saying about zipcode, I'm pretty sure they use your IP address.

MLB.TV IS amazing, but MLB blackout rules are ****ing ridiculous! :angry:

My choices are (1) pay $50 a month for cable that I don't want or (2) drive 4 hours to the ballpark. And neither of those options includes a refund of the hundreds of dollars I wasted!

Michstate45
08-02-2008, 02:04 PM
How can you check what the blackoutrestrictions are for your ZIP?

at the MLB.tv website, they have a box where you can type in your zip code and click 'ok' to view if you are within any blackout zones.

I thought being in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, seven hours away from Detroit, would save me from blackouts. Apparently that is not the case

whitesox901
08-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I loooooooooooove MLB.TV, now I dont have to wait for them to be on a national telecast (FOX, ESPN, TBS, WGN) or when they play the Tigers or Indians.

Although, with the previos years, I got the option to about 70 Sox games, but alot of em were on nights I worked

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Okay, it wasn't just me. I was going nuts with the reloading, but that's the only time I've had it that bad. If it's that bad, it's normally not available, but that's rare. One in 10 broadcasts I have serious issues I would say and then it's like 1 frame per 1/2 second so you can still follow the action, it's jut not smooth...

Yeah, and I was watching it on my TV so every time it crashed, I had to run into my office and reload. :angry: Finally after about the twentieth time, I said, "the hell with it" and checked the game thread and ESPN.

And of course today's game will be blacked out.

But all in all, it's a pretty good deal for those of us who would otherwise have to run out to a sports bar to watch every game. Plus you can watch archived action, so if it's a day game and you miss something, that's nice to be able to do.

chaotic8512
08-02-2008, 03:15 PM
My main beef with MLB.tv is something a previous poster alluded to... the damned commercials. It's the same 5 or 6 ALL GAME. I've watched around ~60-70 games so far this season, so I've probably seen the commercials around 100 times a piece, bare minimum. Needless to say, I know them backwards and forwards.

Aaron Harang is the most annoying... doesn't even say his lines with any conviction. And Maggs is the funniest because it sounds like he's saying "MLB dot TB". :redneck

But seriously, why do they even need the MLB.tv advertising in the first place? If you're watching, you've already bought it! What's the point? Do they honestly think the "Keep Watching" commercials are really going to do just that?

But otherwise, I agree with everyone else, the quality is, on the whole, pretty good (with the occasional bad game), and I don't know what I'd do without it, being 1000 miles from Chicago.

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 03:45 PM
My main beef with MLB.tv is something a previous poster alluded to... the damned commercials. It's the same 5 or 6 ALL GAME. I've watched around ~60-70 games so far this season, so I've probably seen the commercials around 100 times a piece, bare minimum. Needless to say, I know them backwards and forwards.

But seriously, why do they even need the MLB.tv advertising in the first place? If you're watching, you've already bought it! What's the point? Do they honestly think the "Keep Watching" commercials are really going to do just that?

But otherwise, I agree with everyone else, the quality is, on the whole, pretty good (with the occasional bad game), and I don't know what I'd do without it, being 1000 miles from Chicago.

Amen to that! Especially when Morneau's ugly mug pops up.

As for why they do the commercials, IIRC, the first year or so that I got MLB.TV, I was getting the commericals of whatever broadcast they were picking up. Which was sort of interesting for the out-of-town broadcasts, but almost killed me for the Chicago feeds (GIORDANO'S!!! I WANT ONE!!! NOW!!!!) I'm not sure why they stopped showing the local feed's commercials, but I'm sure it had something to do with advertising bucks. Anybody have more information?

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2008, 03:53 PM
There is absolutely NO reason that any game should be blacked out. MLB needs to get their **** together!

scarsofthumper
08-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't think they do it by IP, because if it was by IP then I couldn't watch Sox or Cubs games

EuroSox35
08-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Ha, I got it last night too, wanted to see Manny vs Johnson and some of the new players, figured it'd be good with the races. You can always cancel within the 5 days, but the price ain't bad at all, I might keep it. I've had it for years. I think it's around $80 for the year. I get crazy when--like last night--the service keeps going bananas and you have to keep rebooting it, but most of the time it's worth it.

Ah, I thought it was my computer (since it was my first time using it this year), a few feeds were very slow and stuttering last night

I'm also having trouble with the 1.2 feed. Is there anyway to see that in Windows Media Player? I don't like Silverlight. I updated my WMP just to see the feeds, but I didn't even have the 1.2 option unless I had Silverlight installed (unless it was another one night problem?)

BoKnowsBest
08-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm also having trouble with the 1.2 feed. Is there anyway to see that in Windows Media Player? I don't like Silverlight. I updated my WMP just to see the feeds, but I didn't even have the 1.2 option unless I had Silverlight installed (unless it was another one night problem?)

According to MLB.TV support, the only way to watch the 1.2 stream is to use silverlight. Its a piece of **** that is basically useless on a Mac, I can't say how it works for a PC cause I've never tried it on one. Before last week I was able to stream the 1.2 feed into Quicktime and actually could watch the game on full screen, but for some reason they changed it and made the 1.2 feed only available if you're using silverlight. When asked about this on the MLB.TV support forums, the support guys said that its always been this way, totally ignoring the fact that many people have streamed the game in WMP or Quicktime all season.

Its the little annoying things like this that have me considering getting the DirecTV package next year, plus the fact I'd be able to watch the games in HD instead of on my computer.

turners56
08-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't think they do it by IP, because if it was by IP then I couldn't watch Sox or Cubs games

Then why is it that I can use a proxy to watch Sox games? Without it, I can't. They detect your IP.

turners56
08-02-2008, 08:00 PM
According to MLB.TV support, the only way to watch the 1.2 stream is to use silverlight. Its a piece of **** that is basically useless on a Mac, I can't say how it works for a PC cause I've never tried it on one. Before last week I was able to stream the 1.2 feed into Quicktime and actually could watch the game on full screen, but for some reason they changed it and made the 1.2 feed only available if you're using silverlight. When asked about this on the MLB.TV support forums, the support guys said that its always been this way, totally ignoring the fact that many people have streamed the game in WMP or Quicktime all season.

Its the little annoying things like this that have me considering getting the DirecTV package next year, plus the fact I'd be able to watch the games in HD instead of on my computer.

Silverlight sucks on PC too.

I want Mags back
08-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Better call them and check the blackout rules for your area. I moved to Bloomington, IN from Virginia and got screwed out of all the money I paid for the premium package.

I'm blacked out from Sox, Cubs, and Reds games!

Not sure about what the previous poster was saying about zipcode, I'm pretty sure they use your IP address.

MLB.TV IS amazing, but MLB blackout rules are ****ing ridiculous! :angry:

My choices are (1) pay $50 a month for cable that I don't want or (2) drive 4 hours to the ballpark. And neither of those options includes a refund of the hundreds of dollars I wasted!

i feel your pain. I had to just listen to the gameday audio when at school during the first month of the season

and it without a doubt uses ur IP address for blackouts. I took a password for a friend of mine living in Tampa, and im not blackouted of only Rays games, i missed the Sox, flubs, and Reds in B-town, and here at camp in Wisc. i lose the Brewers

voodoochile
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Silverlight sucks on PC too.

They told people to uninstall it and use the old media player this spring. I was already ahead of them on that matter.

I want Mags back
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Then why is it that I can use a proxy to watch Sox games? Without it, I can't. They detect your IP.

how do I use the proxy. Ive been on MLB.com from a proxy site but the Login was blocked, so i couldnt get into mlb.tv

turners56
08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
how do I use the proxy. Ive been on MLB.com from a proxy site but the Login was blocked, so i couldnt get into mlb.tv

You can do it through IE or Firefox. Look for it on Google. It's not exactly legal.