PDA

View Full Version : Coming Around on Juan Uribe

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Those of you who have been posting here for any considerable length of time know that I've been one of the biggest critics of Juan Uribe's dimishing baseball skills. I've made posts claiming I wanted him traded for draft picks, entirely cut, or simply sent on a one-way flight back home to the Dominican. With Crede going on the DL, he's had an increase in playing time, and I have to say that I'm starting to come around on him.

I know he's no Joe Crede when it comes to defense; but, his effort on the field is returning to his capabilities (what we've seen from him in the past). He seems to be much more patient at the plate, not swinging for almost everything now.

Having Uribe resurface as a quality bench player can only be good for this team down the stretch when guys like Crede or Cabrera need a night off.

BleacherBandit
08-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Juan is a hillarious guy too. I don't mind him making some spot starts. He even got a hit tonight!

thomas35forever
08-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Like I said in the postgame thread, Juan's coming around to me again. Now I know why we kept him and not Pablo.

ViPeRx007
08-01-2008, 11:30 PM
His D at 3B isn't bad either. Gotta love the cannon arm.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Juan is a hillarious guy too. I don't mind him making some spot starts. He even got a hit tonight!
The guy's gotten in on the whole dying of hair too...look at his goatee!!! Cripes, that thing looks wild!

I wouldn't even mind him making a spot start at 2nd, moving Alexei to CF to give Griffey a night off and Swisher remaining at 1B.

hawkjt
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Yea, he was always the superior defensive player to Pablo and now that he is respectable at the plate...very nice,Juanie. That was a big two out rbi hit of his own following junior. I would say Hawk had the pick to click tonite with junior but javy and juan were second and third.

BleacherBandit
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
The guy's gotten in on the whole dying of hair too...look at his goatee!!! Cripes, that thing looks wild!

I wouldn't even mind him making a spot start at 2nd, moving Alexei to CF to give Griffey a night off and Swisher remaining at 1B.

I wouldn't see A-Ram ever starting in center, since we got Swisher, Wise, BA and Griff to play that position.

But Uribe is good at third and SS. Does it make sense that he's worse at the easiest infield position, second base?

At least he's shown he can hit.

turners56
08-01-2008, 11:35 PM

"I kill you Giffey, like I kill Bailey". Somehow, Uribe will see this thread and start getting lazy again. That's his problem. He has a lot of talent, but the drive isn't always there.

NoShoesJoe
08-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah, so many times I thought he'd be gone over the last two years. Nice to see the old Juan back...hope he stays.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Is anyone else cracked up at that batting stance he has, when it seems he's gonna throw his entire body into the outfield whenever he gets a hit?

DickAllen72
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Uribe is defensively superior to Fields or Crede at third base. Plus he occasionally gets on hot streaks at the plate and usually hits around 20HRs per year.

Add that to the fact that he's a top defensive SS and 2Bman, and I'm happy he's still on the Sox.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
We talked about this in the gamethread. Bench player seems to suit him very well. Seems like when he plays less, he's less lazy and more into it. Doesn't seem to be swinging at anything and everything, has had a few walks.

I think we're all glad Fields wasn't out there tonight.

JB98
08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Uribe is defensively superior to Fields or Crede at third base. Plus he occasionally gets on hot streaks at the plate and usually hits around 20HRs per year.

Add that to the fact that he's a top defensive SS and 2Bman, and I'm happy he's still on the Sox.

I don't think he's better than Crede defensively. He's made a handful of errors at 3B himself. That said, he should start over Fields until Joe comes off the DL.

DumpJerry
08-02-2008, 12:14 AM
His D at 3B isn't bad either. Gotta love the cannon arm.
I'd guess we should say "hello to the starting Third Baseman for the 2009 Chicago White Sox."

Rockinsox05
08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
We talked about this in the gamethread. Bench player seems to suit him very well. Seems like when he plays less, he's less lazy and more into it. Doesn't seem to be swinging at anything and everything, has had a few walks.

I think we're all glad Fields wasn't out there tonight.

I think being on the bench is why he has become more patient at the plate. Before he could flail away at anything with no repercussions. He knew he'd be back out there the next night. Now that he's seen that caused him to get replaced and, that no one really wants him, he decided he better straighten out. He's looking for a contract next year.

ChiSoxGirl
08-02-2008, 12:25 AM

And not just any hit... a CLUTCH hit! :o:

daveeym
08-02-2008, 01:39 AM
For a guy that I absolutely loathe as a starter. Who I wish was shipped out of here all year long and is entirely overpaid. I really have to give some props to Juan for his performance and acceptance of his demotion.

There was some supposed griping earlier in the year, Uribe appeared surly to me as well and I'm sure the media was making **** up as usual, but lately I'm really glad to have Uribe around. He appears happy to be here and is playing the utility role beautifully. He's produced as well as can be expected in this role, has been a great insurance policy for crede and looks genuinely happy to be here lately.

It's small things like this that really lead to special seasons and based on Juan's situation to start the year, is really a pleasant surprise.

Here's to you Mr. Juan Uribe.

Edit: Whoops, it appears others saw the same thing tonight that I saw and a similar thread was started. Merge if necessary.

08-02-2008, 01:41 AM
I thought he was DFA or something when I saw this thread. :smile:

BringBackBlkJack
08-02-2008, 01:44 AM
lrn2title.

Uribe is still with the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2008, 01:44 AM
I thought he was DFA or something when I saw this thread. :smile:
Me too! Uribe has played his role perfectly and done it without complaint. Well done.

Whitesoxfan23
08-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Uribe has been great at 3rd base. I rather him start over Fields any day.

BleacherBandit
08-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Juany is great. He was an important part of the roster in 2005, and even though he doesn't have the same spot on the roster as he did three years ago, you know he's still happy to be playing with the team that gave him the chance to win it all.

I've said it a couple times, he's a hillarious guy and an excellent bench player.

kitekrazy
08-02-2008, 02:24 AM
For a guy who can play the whole infield and do it well, he's not really that much overpaid.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't see A-Ram ever starting in centerStop that now. We don't need more of that weak **** around here.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Juany is great.Is this you?

:crossdresser

First initial - first syllable lameness? Adding a y or ie to every name? Get a grip or 'fess up.

FireMariotti
08-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Juany is great.
:wanneAhhhhhhh.....thanks! Glad somebody thinks so.

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2008, 08:55 AM
If Crede leaves, I could live with Uribe and Nick Punto splitting time at third base next year. :D:

BleacherBandit
08-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Is this you?

:crossdresser

First initial - first syllable lameness? Adding a y or ie to every name? Get a grip or 'fess up.

Just the fact that you probably had to look for that graphic in so that you could burn me is kind of ridiculous. No, I am not an 80's woman with huge tits that also is a back door Cubs supporter. I just like to call some of the players by nicknames.

EDIT: Also, if you'd like me to change my name I would. But I guess that's impossible.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I'll readily admit that at the end of last year, I wanted to get rid of Uribe.

Ever since moving to the bench, however, I've really liked him. He's been professional, does his job, and has never complained that his role has been reduced. I think that makes him a great teammate.

And when he's been put into a starter's position anywhere in the infield he's performed well, particularly defensively.

I'm now very glad he's still on the team.

RowanDye
08-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I'd guess we should say "hello to the starting Third Baseman for the 2009 Chicago White Sox."

Stop it.

ChiSoxFan7
08-02-2008, 10:23 AM
he's KIND OF like Alexei. He's got alot of upside but he's just wild. he'll make some really good plays but also have some bonehead plays. His plate patience is non existent but all that being said...

Juan is a very good bench player and would be a starter in the middle infield on alot of other teams so i feel blessed to have an experienced, good fielder, who will give you some clutch hits on the bench.

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Just the fact that you probably had to look for that graphic in so that you could burn me is kind of ridiculous. No, I am not an 80's woman with huge tits that also is a back door Cubs supporter. I just like to call some of the players by nicknames.

EDIT: Also, if you'd like me to change my name I would. But I guess that's impossible.

Psst... that's not a woman...

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 11:05 AM
It's Uribe being Uribe. This is Juan. When he is mentally into the game there isn't much better in the field whether its 2B, SS or 3B. However at times he gets lazy and nonchelant (sp). Offensively he goes on runs. HE will go a month or 2 and be useless. Then for a 2-3 week period he will be lights out.

kevingrt
08-02-2008, 11:12 AM
It's Uribe being Uribe. This is Juan. When he is mentally into the game there isn't much better in the field whether its 2B, SS or 3B. However at times he gets lazy and nonchelant (sp). Offensively he goes on runs. HE will go a month or 2 and be useless. Then for a 2-3 week period he will be lights out.

Well as long as he is hot when it counts. And if we are still in a playoff chase in September I trust that Uribe will have his head on straight defensively.

Jjav829
08-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Juan is a good candidate for Joe Posnanski's Gloaden rule (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104216).

daveeym
08-02-2008, 11:22 AM
It's Uribe being Uribe. This is Juan. When he is mentally into the game there isn't much better in the field whether its 2B, SS or 3B. However at times he gets lazy and nonchelant (sp). Offensively he goes on runs. HE will go a month or 2 and be useless. Then for a 2-3 week period he will be lights out.That's what everyone's kinda saying though. Coming off the bench you don't have to deal with that crap. He supplies a plus glove if someone gets injured and for late innings and anything he gives at the plate is gravy. As a starter, ship him to Alaska though.

DumpJerry
08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Stop it.
I'm serious. Crede will sign with someone else, Fields will be traded for a bullpen guy and Uribe is the only one left standing. He manages to hang around through thick and thin. He's got a gun of an arm and has done a good job at Third. During the postgame show on The Score last night, they mentioned that if Fields, and not Uribe, were at Third last night, the Royals would have won.

The handwriting is on the wall.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm serious. Crede will sign with someone else, Fields will be traded for a bullpen guy and Uribe is the only one left standing. He manages to hang around through thick and thin. He's got a gun of an arm and has done a good job at Third. During the postgame show on The Score last night, they mentioned that if Fields, and not Uribe, were at Third last night, the Royals would have won.

The handwriting is on the wall.

While I definitely prefer Uribe over Fields while Crede is out, in terms of next year, I would have to believe there are other options than Uribe for the team at 3B. While there are no options in the minors for that position, they will have to go free agent or trade route to get a third baseman.

I could see the Sox trying to sign Uribe for less money to be a utility infielder in 2009.

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 12:58 PM
While I definitely prefer Uribe over Fields while Crede is out, in terms of next year, I would have to believe there are other options than Uribe for the team at 3B. While there are no options in the minors for that position, they will have to go free agent or trade route to get a third baseman.

I could see the Sox trying to sign Uribe for less money to be a utility infielder in 2009.

He's at 4.5M they can't offer him less than $3.6M by CBA rule. I don't know if he's worth it at that price.

Maybe the Sox make a hard run at Crede and Cabrera hoping to land at least one of them (Crede seems more likely at this stage of the game). Uribe makes a nice stop gap in case Crede's back goes out or Ramirez has a bad sophmore slump, but is he worth the money?

Given the year he's had I expect Fields to be traded. I doubt Ozzie will have much patience for him to play 3B next year.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 01:17 PM
he's KIND OF like Alexei. He's got alot of upside but he's just wild. he'll make some really good plays but also have some bonehead plays. His plate patience is non existent but all that being said.
He's actually been better at the plate a lot recently. He is displaying more patience.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 01:17 PM
He's at 4.5M they can't offer him less than $3.6M by CBA rule. I don't know if he's worth it at that price.

Maybe the Sox make a hard run at Crede and Cabrera hoping to land at least one of them (Crede seems more likely at this stage of the game). Uribe makes a nice stop gap in case Crede's back goes out or Ramirez has a bad sophmore slump, but is he worth the money?

Given the year he's had I expect Fields to be traded. I doubt Ozzie will have much patience for him to play 3B next year.

No, Uribe's not worth $3.6-million. The only way they could pay that is if they shed a whole lot of other salaries for 2009 and they felt they needed his experience to show Ramirez the ropes and were willing to overpay for that experience and mentoring.

So, by CBA, they have to offer him $3.6-million. What if no other team wants to pay him $3.6-million? Can the Sox match a lower offer or are they just out of it at that point?

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm expecting Crede to be resigned and Fields/Poreda being traded for a 2nd baseman (Roberts, Uggla....)

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 01:29 PM
No, Uribe's not worth $3.6-million. The only way they could pay that is if they shed a whole lot of other salaries for 2009 and they felt they needed his experience to show Ramirez the ropes and were willing to overpay for that experience and mentoring.

So, by CBA, they have to offer him $3.6-million. What if no other team wants to pay him $3.6-million? Can the Sox match a lower offer or are they just out of it at that point?

They can offer him a contract during their exclusive bidding time or they can offer him arbitration. Any offer has to be at least $3.6M (80% of his current salary). If they don't do any of that he becomes a FA and the Sox cannot negotiate with him until 5/1 (IIRC).

However, if the Sox are planning on going young in the infield next year putting Getz at 2B and Fields at 3B with Ramirez moving to SS then they could afford to sign Uribe as the utility guy for that much. He'd then offer a back up option in case anyone seriously faltered. I'm still holding out hope they will sign Cabrera and/or Crede as I'd prefer a more experienced infield than the young kids would offer and a better chance of success. Both those guys will be looking to break the bank. I don't see either of them getting an offer higher than $10M/season for 4-5 years. The Sox can afford that if they want to and if they feel the risk is worth it. That would minimize the chance that the whole infield falls apart next year and they could afford to go with Getz as the utility IF behind Fields as the starting 3B if they sign Cabrera. All Fields can play is 3B so it's unlikely he will be the backup and if the Sox re-sign Crede, I expect Fields to be traded.

Edit: They will offer Crede arbitration and he just might take it in the hopes that after another year to heal his back will be even stronger.

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
They can offer him a contract during their exclusive bidding time or they can offer him arbitration. Any offer has to be at least $3.6M (80% of his current salary). If they don't do any of that he becomes a FA and the Sox cannot negotiate with him until 5/1 (IIRC).

However, if the Sox are planning on going young in the infield next year putting Getz at 2B and Fields at 3B with Ramirez moving to SS then they could afford to sign Uribe as the utility guy for that much. He'd then offer a back up option in case anyone seriously faltered. I'm still holding out hope they will sign Cabrera and/or Crede as I'd prefer a more experienced infield than the young kids would offer and a better chance of success. Both those guys will be looking to break the bank. I don't see either of them getting an offer higher than $10M/season for 4-5 years. The Sox can afford that if they want to and if they feel the risk is worth it. That would minimize the chance that the whole infield falls apart next year and they could afford to go with Getz as the utility IF behind Fields as the starting 3B if they sign Cabrera. All Fields can play is 3B so it's unlikely he will be the backup and if the Sox re-sign Crede, I expect Fields to be traded.

Edit: They will offer Crede arbitration and he just might take it in the hopes that after another year to heal his back will be even stronger.
Lets say we get a contract worked out with Crede say 5 years long. Would a package of Fields/Poreda/Getz be enough, too little, or too much for an Uggla or Roberts?

DumpJerry
08-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Lets say we get a contract worked out with Crede say 5 years long. Would a package of Fields/Poreda/Getz be enough, too little, or too much for an Uggla or Roberts?
Too much.

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Im giving myself a pat on the back because I was one of the few who wanted to keep Uribe over Ozuna. Uribe has turned out to be a pretty good insurance policy. Right now he is our super sub at 3B, SS and 2B.
If he had any kind of discipline at the plate I would have no problem with him at 3B next year, the bad news is the track record shows no discipline.

35th and Shields
08-02-2008, 01:54 PM

with all of the problems crede's had this year and the back issues possibly flaring up again to go along with him struggling at the plate as of late. I highly doubt the sox send a long term deal his way

getonbckthr
08-02-2008, 02:04 PM
with all of the problems crede's had this year and the back issues possibly flaring up again to go along with him struggling at the plate as of late. I highly doubt the sox send a long term deal his way
Now could be a chance to get him to a cheaper contract however. 5/55, 5/60 could be a steal right now considering.

whitesox901
08-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Is anyone else cracked up at that batting stance he has, when it seems he's gonna throw his entire body into the outfield whenever he gets a hit?

:D:

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Now could be a chance to get him to a cheaper contract however. 5/55, 5/60 could be a steal right now considering.

I'll be shocked if some team is willing to take that kind of risk on Crede. I expect 3 and 4 year offers around $10M because his back is a major risk and you can't insure contracts past 3 years. Most GM's won't take a $20M risk direct from the team's payroll over the final two years of an aging 3B with a questionable back.

Crede might take another year of arbitration hoping for the big payday next year if he can hold up better. He might after a full off season of rehab and conditioning and no day to day stress of playing or surgery recovery.

I'd rather sign Cabrera and leave Ramirez at 2B because then between Getz and Fields they should be able to hold down 3B. Then you can sign Uribe to be the super sub and if Fields can't handle 3B you can start working him in at 1B either by sending him down or in the bigs with PK doing the DH thing.

Of course that depends on whether they truly do platoon Thome the rest of the season to prevent him from getting his PA and locking in next year's deal. I guess time will tell...

35th and Shields
08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I'd rather sign Cabrera and leave Ramirez at 2B because then between Getz and Fields they should be able to hold down 3B.

As would I. I would love to sign Cabrera for another year at least (instead of crede) but the only problem is that I'm not so sure he'd be willing to anything short of two, three, or even four

DickAllen72
08-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I would love to sign Cabrera for another year at least (instead of crede)
Cabrera plays some dumb baseball at times, a little too many times. Plus, he seems to have a bit of a problem with the White Sox. Try to get the most out of him for the rest of the season down the stretch, then let him go.

turners56
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I wonder why nobody is getting pissed at Juan today for striking out with the tying run on 3rd...

Daver
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I'll be shocked if some team is willing to take that kind of risk on Crede. I expect 3 and 4 year offers around $10M because his back is a major risk and you can't insure contracts past 3 years. Most GM's won't take a $20M risk direct from the team's payroll over the final two years of an aging 3B with a questionable back.

Crede might take another year of arbitration hoping for the big payday next year if he can hold up better. He might after a full off season of rehab and conditioning and no day to day stress of playing or surgery recovery.

I'd rather sign Cabrera and leave Ramirez at 2B because then between Getz and Fields they should be able to hold down 3B. Then you can sign Uribe to be the super sub and if Fields can't handle 3B you can start working him in at 1B either by sending him down or in the bigs with PK doing the DH thing.

Of course that depends on whether they truly do platoon Thome the rest of the season to prevent him from getting his PA and locking in next year's deal. I guess time will tell...

Getz at 3rd?

Just say no.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2008, 08:46 PM

EDIT: Also, if you'd like me to change my name I would. But I guess that's impossible.:roflmao:

I didn't have to look too far for that graphic.

I guess it's also safe to assume you won't be invited to Oslo any time soon. :D:

Tragg
08-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Try to get the most out of him for the rest of the season down the stretch, then let him go. Offer him arbitration and then either stick with him for a year or let him go and cash in the draft choices.
The Sox cannot abandon those choices.

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Getz at 3rd?

Just say no.

I have no say or inside knowledge on the matter, merely have noted he's played it a bit recently (or since before Richar got traded).

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I think Getz will be one of the guys called up when the rosters expand in September. I'd like to see what he can bring at the major league level before making any final judgments; but, I currently would want Crede back next year, provided Boras doesn't give KW a headache.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I have no say or inside knowledge on the matter, merely have noted he's played it a bit recently (or since before Richar got traded).

I think the Sox see Getz as a utility guy, at least in the near term. They've played him at 2B, SS, 3B, and LF already this year at Charlotte. 2B is his primary position, but Ramirez may be back in that spot next year and Getz would be an option as backup.

DickAllen72
08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Offer him arbitration and then either stick with him for a year or let him go and cash in the draft choices.
The Sox cannot abandon those choices.
I agree 100%. I really doubt that he'll agree to arbitration, but if he does so be it. Even if he does, they could still try to trade him at next year's deadline.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Voodoo:

Is Crede even allowed to go to arbitration instead of free agency? I'm not sure what the rules are but I don't recall ever hearing about that option before.

Can you clarify this?

Lip

Daver
08-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Voodoo:

Is Crede even allowed to go to arbitration instead of free agency? I'm not sure what the rules are but I don't recall ever hearing about that option before.

Can you clarify this?

Lip

No player can go to free agency at the end of a contract without refusing arbitration, unless it is not offered.

voodoochile
08-02-2008, 11:40 PM
No player can go to free agency at the end of a contract without refusing arbitration, unless it is not offered.

I think about 5 years ago the Braves offered Maddux arbitration assuming he would turn it down. He didn't. He got $17M or something - single largest award in MLB Arbitration history I believe.

You only don't offer arbitration if you don't want the guy at all at the price he would cost you and aren't 100% sure he will turn it down.

35th and Shields
08-03-2008, 01:01 AM
I think about 5 years ago the Braves offered Maddux arbitration assuming he would turn it down. He didn't. He got $17M or something - single largest award in MLB Arbitration history I believe.

You only don't offer arbitration if you don't want the guy at all at the price he would cost you and aren't 100% sure he will turn it down.

interesting. I would love to see him in sox uniform next year but only for next year. Do any of you guys know what it would cost us?

Lip Man 1
08-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Daver:

Thanks.

Lip