PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields

ndgt10
08-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Man, it's too bad that we didn't trade him after last season. This guy is just terrible at the plate and in the field. Thankfully we still have Crede.

nasox
08-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Man, it's too bad that we didn't trade him after last season. This guy is just terrible at the plate and in the field. Thankfully we still have Crede.

He actually looked pretty good these past two games. Yes, the fact that he has much less range at third than Crede was apparent, but he wasn't a butcher and he had a nice hits. Yeah, the strikeouts suck, but that's what you're going to get with him. He Ks a lot.

oeo
08-01-2008, 11:53 AM
He actually looked pretty good these past two games. Yes, the fact that he has much less range at third than Crede was apparent, but he wasn't a butcher and he had a couple of nice hits.

He has looked good. He looked lost last night against Baker, but so did a lot of guys.

I don't remember anyone bitching about him the few games before that. Has a bad game, so it's time to rag on him again.

35th and Shields
08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
He has looked good. He looked lost last night against Baker, but so did a lot of guys.

I don't remember anyone bitching about him the few games before that. Has a bad game, so it's time to rag on him again.

agreed. don't forget he hot a lot of HR's for us last year in limited playing time. He's not going to be the cornerstone of our franchise but he won't have to be when we have TCQ, Ramirez and a few other young arms

spiffie
08-01-2008, 12:02 PM
It isn't that Josh Fields can't be a good player, but he's no Captain Clutch, Gold Glover Joe Crede. I feel like Fields can eventually be a quite good player in the majors, though probably not as a 3B. But for the future of the Sox, I don't want anyone but Joe out there as long as possible.

Adele_H
08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
It isn't that Josh Fields can't be a good player, but he's no Captain Clutch, Gold Glover Joe Crede. .

Crede is not a Gold Glover, especially not this season. He's good with the leather, better than Fields certainly, but enough already.

JGarlandrules20
08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I guess the numbers he put up offensively last season must not count for anything.

It sounds to me like you're just judging him on the 6 games he's played this season. That seems like a fair assessment...

PatK
08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
It isn't that Josh Fields can't be a good player, but he's no Captain Clutch, Gold Glover Joe Crede.

This year, Joe Crede hasn't been Captain Clutch, Gold Glover Joe Crede.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I guess the numbers he put up offensively last season must not count for anything.

It sounds to me like you're just judging him on the 6 games he's played this season. That seems like a fair assessment...

Considering he hasn't looked all that bad on both sides of the ball, it's flat out ridiculous that he's being ripped right now. I think he looks better at the plate right now than he did in his time last year. He's having some excellent ABs...not swinging out of his shoes at pitches he shouldn't be, but laying off and working the count. And I didn't know liking Joe Crede meant you had to hate Josh Fields.

This year, Joe Crede hasn't been Captain Clutch, Gold Glover Joe Crede.

Since April, I can think of some pretty clutch pop ups.

hawkjt
08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I seem to remember he had 2 rbis in our win the nite before and a rbi in another game...that is more production we were getting from Joe lately.
Strikeouts are just outs...no more,no less.

#1swisher
08-01-2008, 12:29 PM
yes it's the majors'...I say give Josh a little more time.

get well soon Joe, I mean all-star Crede

Law11
08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
didnt fields have 20+ hrs in limited time last year? geez cut him some slack hes been up a week or so.

kitekrazy
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
didnt fields have 20+ hrs in limited time last year? geez cut him some slack hes been up a week or so.

Then again I get sick of evaluating players on home runs. Even Juan Uribe hits 20 home runs.

kitekrazy
08-01-2008, 12:39 PM

After the 4 runs most of the lineup's swings were getting bigger.

btrain929
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Considering he hasn't looked all that bad on both sides of the ball, it's flat out ridiculous that he's being ripped right now. I think he looks better at the plate right now than he did in his time last year. He's having some excellent ABs...not swinging out of his shoes at pitches he shouldn't be, but laying off and working the count. And I didn't know liking Joe Crede meant you had to hate Josh Fields.

Since April, I can think of some pretty clutch pop ups.

In his brief stint this year, he's averaging 1 K for every 2 AB's........that's horrid!

His biggest hit was his 2 run double a couple games back. Even that was a terrible swing and approach. There was runners on 2nd and 3rd with none or 1 out (can't remember). You should be trying to do 2 things: get the pitcher to elevate a pitch to drive it to the OF for a sac fly, or hit it to the right side to drive in a run. Instead, he swings at the first pitch with is LOW AND INSIDE, and luckily snuck it inside the bag. End result = good, approach = horrible.

With all that said, I'm a fan of Fields and hope he gets it together and can bat .250-.260 for us and giving us the power that we'll need once Thome/Konerko/Dye eventually depart.........if Fields stays here that long.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Then again I get sick of evaluating players on home runs. Even Juan Uribe hits 20 home runs.

Fields hit 23 in 100 games, that's around 35 for a full season.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:44 PM
In his brief stint this year, he's averaging 1 K for every 2 AB's........that's horrid!

'Brief stint' is an overstatement. He's had 20 AB's...GMAB.

His biggest hit was his 2 run double a couple games back. Even that was a terrible swing and approach. There was runners on 2nd and 3rd with none or 1 out (can't remember). You should be trying to do 2 things: get the pitcher to elevate a pitch to drive it to the OF for a sac fly, or hit it to the right side to drive in a run. Instead, he swings at the first pitch with is LOW AND INSIDE, and luckily snuck it inside the bag. End result = good, approach = horrible.

As DJ said during the game, it was a reactionary swing. Yeah, he got lucky, but that doesn't mean that was the approach he was going to take.

btrain929
08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
'Brief stint' is an overstatement. He's had 20 AB's...GMAB.

As DJ said during the game, it was a reactionary swing. Yeah, he got lucky, but that doesn't mean that was the approach he was going to take.

Why are you taking a reactionary swing on the 1st pitch of an at-bat??? It's not like it was an 0-2 count.... :scratch:

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Why are you taking a reactionary swing on the 1st pitch of an at-bat??? It's not like it was an 0-2 count.... :scratch:

He was going up there hacking. Like we've never seen this from any other guy. Josh's just happened to stay fair.

btrain929
08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
He was going up there hacking. Like we've never seen this from any other guy. Josh's just happened to stay fair.

Therein lies the problem....

It's not like he's a veteran where you can't change his ways. You should be able to talk to him about approaches for certain situations, instead of just pray that his huge swing produces a crooked number on the board.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Therein lies the problem....

It's not like he's a veteran where you can't change his ways. You should be able to talk to him about approaches for certain situations, instead of just pray that his huge swing produces a crooked number on the board.

Well, it's kind of hard to 'change his ways' when that's what he is. He swings, and sometimes he hits it a long way, and sometimes he completely misses. There's today's power hitter for you. Lots of Ks to go with all that power.

We really want to turn a guy with tremendous power into this situational guy? Fields will be a middle of the order, big RBI guy...and you want him to start getting guys over, instead of getting them in?

btrain929
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, it's kind of hard to 'change his ways' when that's what he is. He swings, and sometimes he hits it a long way, and sometimes he completely misses. There's today's power hitter for you. Lots of Ks to go with all that power.

We really want to turn a guy with tremendous power into a little slap hitter?

Who wants to do that? Hitting it opposite field doesn't make you a slap hitter. I remember on numerous occasions last year Fields hitting oppo-bombs.

I'm not saying I wanted Fields to hit a grindout to 2b to get the run in, but at least attempt to hit something in the air (his specialty, right?) or to the right side. Perhaps a fly ball to RF. His power can make it go over the fence in RF, too.

I don't think that's too much to ask in specific situations.

oeo
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Who wants to do that? Hitting it opposite field doesn't make you a slap hitter. I remember on numerous occasions last year Fields hitting oppo-bombs.

Who's to say Fields wasn't looking for a fastball right there, to drive the other way? Again, he got that breaking ball, and just reacted to it. The pitch caught him off guard...that doesn't mean he was going up there trying to pull a homerun.

If that ball is foul, as they usually are, this isn't even an issue.

I would have liked to see a fly ball, particularly a gapper. But it was one AB...let's not judge him off of it.

ondafarm
08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I wasn't really thrilled with Fields at bats last night, then again, a bunch of guys looked bad to terrible. I think he does need to work on several things. He has been only up a week so there is time. His range defensively is adequate, not great.

Law11
08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Man talk about what have you done for me lately...
He's not batting .300 with a high OBP what the hell is wrong with this guy!
The guys been here for 20ab's.

Joe will be back in the lineup soon enough and Fields will get only a few ab's then so dont look for his numbers to all in a sudden light up getting a few abs a week if he doesnt get sent back down.

Lukin13
08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
What is the difference between a Crede infield popup and a Josh Fields strikeout????

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2008, 03:03 PM
What is the difference between a Crede infield popup and a Josh Fields strikeout????

Is this a trick question? :D:

TDog
08-01-2008, 03:17 PM

I especially wasn't impressed with his defense last year, but I wasn't impressed with his offense either. He reminded me of numerous rookies who break in appearing to have pretty good power, but amass huge number of strikeouts. Pitchers figure out how to pitch them, and their strikeouts increase as their production decreases.

Josh Fields aspires to be Russell Branyon. Russell Branyon can't even get a regular job as a DH.

Additionally, Josh Fields doesn't possess the skills to be a great third baseman. Joe Crede does.

I wanted the Sox to trade Fields last year, and I posted as much. If he is the future regular third baseman for the Sox, the Sox will soon be in the market for a third baseman who can hit and field his position.

BleacherBandit
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Fields isn't going to replace Crede as a defender. (even though Joe has what, about 20 errors this season?)

btrain929
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Hahahaha, now THAT I'll agree with.

btrain929
08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Who's to say Fields wasn't looking for a fastball right there, to drive the other way? Again, he got that breaking ball, and just reacted to it. The pitch caught him off guard...that doesn't mean he was going up there trying to pull a homerun.

If that ball is foul, as they usually are, this isn't even an issue.

I would have liked to see a fly ball, particularly a gapper. But it was one AB...let's not judge him off of it.

Then that would imply that you think he guesses at what the pitch will be before he swings, and doesn't adjust. If that's the case then we have a HUGE problem on our hands with him. If you're sitting on a fastball or something away, and he gets an offspeed pitch low and in, you usually pick that up off the rotation of the ball and, again, ON THE FIRST PITCH OF THE AT BAT, it's an automatic take.

What I WILL give you is that it was just one at-bat that stuck out to me. He could have just had a brain fart for some reason.

Let's just hope he starts hitting better and plays a respectable 3B to shut us all up so we don't even have threads like this....

BainesHOF
08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
In his short stint with us this season, Fields looks like a shell of himself from last year.

Bill Naharodny
08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
In his short stint with us this season, Fields looks like a shell of himself from last year.

Got off to a slow start with us last year, too. But he looks like the same guy to me -- pretty good eye, can't get around on a decent letter-high fastball.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Fields is not the answer this year or next year. He strikes out too much; if you can't put the ball into play, you're going to fail.

Fields has 9 strikeouts in 22 ABs. In the minors this year, he was striking out at a 31.2% clip. In the majors, against better pitching, he figured to strikeout at a higher rate, which he is. Fields has not improved at all year over year. In fact, he's regressed.

Plus, he can't field his position.

oeo
08-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Fields is not the answer this year or next year. He strikes out too much; if you can't put the ball into play, you're going to fail.

Fields has 9 strikeouts in 22 ABs. In the minors this year, he was striking out at a 31.2% clip. In the majors, against better pitching, he figured to strikeout at a higher rate, which he is. Fields has not improved at all year over year. In fact, he's regressed.

1)He's been playing hurt all year.
2)Read what you're typing, he's had 20 ABs.

Also, this is a guy that had to be deflated by being sent down before the season when he earned the job last year. His numbers in AAA don't mean much.

Plus, he can't field his position.He's looked alright to me. :dunno:

I've seen him come in on Gomez's bunt single, and make a nice play. I've seen him go back on a couple and make nice plays. He's made one mistake since he's been up here, and of course we just want to dwell on that.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2008, 09:02 AM
1)He's been playing hurt all year.
2)Read what you're typing, he's had 20 ABs.

Also, this is a guy that had to be deflated by being sent down before the season when he earned the job last year. His numbers in AAA don't mean much.

He's looked alright to me. :dunno:

I've seen him come in on Gomez's bunt single, and make a nice play. I've seen him go back on a couple and make nice plays. He's made one mistake since he's been up here, and of course we just want to dwell on that.

Which would make him even worse, striking out 9 of 20 times. However, he has had 22 ABs. He's had 2 walks. He has 20 official ABs.

Bobby Thigpen
08-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I have never, in my life, seen more people able to nitpick and complain about a first place team than this year's Sox.

Adele_H
08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I especially wasn't impressed with his defense last year, but I wasn't impressed with his offense either. He reminded me of numerous rookies who break in appearing to have pretty good power, but amass huge number of strikeouts. Pitchers figure out how to pitch them, and their strikeouts increase as their production decreases.

Josh Fields aspires to be Russell Branyon. Russell Branyon can't even get a regular job as a DH.

Additionally, Josh Fields doesn't possess the skills to be a great third baseman. Joe Crede does.

I wanted the Sox to trade Fields last year, and I posted as much. If he is the future regular third baseman for the Sox, the Sox will soon be in the market for a third baseman who can hit and field his position.

His power is legit and most likely natural, so that's a plus in the ledger.

Branyan has moon tower power, Fields is not quite on that level; so he better have a quicker bat and better approah at the plate than Branyan cuz he'll strike-out 250 times if he tries to do what Branyan does.

Fields may be a better athlete than Crede (made a play on a pop-up in foul territory Joe with a bad back doesn't get to; Carlos Guillen incidentally caught two of those in Detroit), but he's just not a natural 3B like Joe.

whitesox901
08-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Wouldnt suprise me that Fields is a little off, missed alot of this season, Im sure what his stats are on the year, but time heals all wounds