PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh, Liriano?

kidmccarthy
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Is he coming back today? (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/26162974.html?location_refer=Sports:highlightModul es:3)

Hopefully he gets crushed.

DumpJerry
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
They're at home against the Tribe. Not likely to happen.

35th and Shields
08-01-2008, 01:20 PM
this can only be bad news for us. He was unbelievable in 06

eriqjaffe
08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
this can only be bad news for us. He was unbelievable in 06Better today than two days ago.

oeo
08-01-2008, 01:37 PM
this can only be bad news for us. He was unbelievable in 06

If we have a healthy Contreras coming back, then we can match them.

The Dude
08-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Is he coming back today? (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/26162974.html?location_refer=Sports:highlightModul es:3)

Hopefully he gets crushed.

Would anyone be against picking Hernandez up as long relief to replace Masset? Spot starter if Jose goes down again?
Just saying, he could turn his season around. After all, he started really well.

cleanwsox
08-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Would anyone be against picking Hernandez up as long relief to replace Masset? Spot starter if Jose goes down again?
Just saying, he could turn his season around. After all, he started really well.

No thanks, he's got a .341 BA against him. He's not fooling anyone anymore.

Can't believe they got 10 wins out of him this year.

Foulke You
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM
They're at home against the Tribe. Not likely to happen.
Yep. Sox need to be thinking sweep this weekend in KC because we'll be lucky if the Tribe win 1 of 3 at the Dome this weekend. The great Jeremy Sowers on the bump for the Indians tonight.:(:

DumpJerry
08-01-2008, 03:25 PM
No thanks, he's got a .341 BA against him. He's not fooling anyone anymore.

Can't believe they got 10 wins out of him this year.
Eight of those wins are at The Dome. Under an extremely complex mathematical formula which converts wins at The Dome to wins in a normal stadium, his eight wins come to one win if those games were played in a normal stadium. He's no el Duque.

Regarding Liriano, under the worst-case scenario (for the Sox), he has 10 starts this year left (53 games left after today). It is unlikely he will win all 10. 55% of the Twins' remaining games are on the road. I would say he could account for at most eight wins until October 1st.

cleanwsox
08-01-2008, 04:16 PM
The great Jeremy Sowers on the bump for the Indians tonight.:(:

He had a great line against them last weekend, 8IP 3H 1BB.... but the Twins still won of course.

Sockinchisox
08-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Twins are releasing both Monroe and Hernandez.

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/2008/08/01/liriano-ruiz-to-join-twins-hernandez-monroe-headed-out/

turners56
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Twins are releasing both Monroe and Hernandez.

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/2008/08/01/liriano-ruiz-to-join-twins-hernandez-monroe-headed-out/

I wonder how the league will react to Liriano this time around. He doesn't have that slider anymore.

Foulke You
08-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I wonder how the league will react to Liriano this time around. He doesn't have that slider anymore.
I have a feeling that the Twins figure he probably can't do any worse than Livan Hernandez and the potential upside for him is great with or without that slider. Liriano was pitching good in the minors and the AL had completely figured out how to hit Livan his 2nd and 3rd time through the league. He was toast. From a Twins standpoint, it is a smart move.

hellview
08-01-2008, 05:44 PM

You've seen him pitch at AAA?

What's he like now?

TDog
08-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Better today than two days ago.

It is interesting that he was called up right after the Sox series. That may reflect the level of confidence the Twins have in him. Or it may be to boost attendance against Cleveland, something the Twins didn't need to do with the White Sox in town. It will be interesting to see if this comeback start goes as disastrously as his last. I doubt that it will.

I don't think the Twins will have any trouble with Sowers. Pitchers who are tough on teams playing on the road who the next face them on the mound for the road team generally don't pitch as well.

Sabathia should be pitching against the Twins and should have faced them last week. I was angry when the Indians traded him because I would rather see him pitching against people chasing the Sox than somewhere in the National League.

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I hope he gets lit up.

Bobby Jenks
08-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Liriano still has that slider,he just doesn't throw it as much.

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I wonder how the league will react to Liriano this time around. He doesn't have that slider anymore.From what I've read in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, yes he does.

Liriano still has that slider,he just doesn't throw it as much.That's because throwing the slider so much is partially what destroyed his elbow. That and his violent motion. We'll see how long he lasts before he breaks down again. Take a guy with a motion like his and fix his elbow, and the stress transfers to the shoulder.

asindc
08-02-2008, 02:40 AM
I have a feeling that the Twins figure he probably can't do any worse than Livan Hernandez and the potential upside for him is great with or without that slider. Liriano was pitching good in the minors and the AL had completely figured out how to hit Livan his 2nd and 3rd time through the league. He was toast. From a Twins standpoint, it is a smart move.

It was said on BBTN that Liriano's fastball tops out at 91-92 now instead of 96-97. If so, we will see if he can learn how to pitch with decreased velocity in the middle of a division race.

Irishsox1
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Pretty much every move the Twins make turns out to be great. My guess is the Twins will get super hot in the second half, run away with the division and then fold in the playoffs. Just like they do every year.

DumpJerry
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
That's because throwing the slider so much is partially what destroyed his elbow. That and his violent motion. We'll see how long he lasts before he breaks down again. Take a guy with a motion like his and fix his elbow, and the stress transfers to the shoulder.
Agreed. Liriano is one injury after another waiting to happen. That is probably why the Giants included him in the AJ trade. They knew that while he is good, his service time is limited.

turners56
08-02-2008, 01:17 PM
You've seen him pitch at AAA?

What's he like now?

He's more of change up, fastball pitcher now. Against us, that's bad news. Against other teams, not as bad.

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Pretty much every move the Twins make turns out to be great. My guess is the Twins will get super hot in the second half, run away with the division and then fold in the playoffs. Just like they do every year.

The next 3 series, the Twins play the Indians, Mariners, and Royals...while we play the Royals, Tigers, and Red Sox. They may take the lead in the next week...but they aren't running away with ****...not with a 14 game road trip and a 10 game road trip still to go.