PDA

View Full Version : Better Team

EuroSox35
08-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Option A is a little more outside the box (but I like it and wonder if it will be necessary after we see Griffey in CF):

CF: Anderson
RF: Griffey
1B: Dye
(Swisher, Konerko odd men out vs righties, get some playing time in against lefties with Griffey sitting out [gives him some rest and takes the advice of the Reds fan who posted here. Meanwhile Swisher's last 3 year splits look slightly better as a right handed hitter)
I guess you have to make some adjustments, even though Dye has looked good in right lately (and I guess you could always contemplate Griffey at first too), but the main point is Anderson in Center to preserve that important defensive position. I don't see the issue in this, since you're not losing a huge offensive boost with Swisher/Konerko

Option B, probably what's expected/what we'll see tonight?

CF: Griffey
RF: Dye
1B: Swisher

SBSoxFan
08-01-2008, 11:20 AM
It seems like Kenny Williams is the only guy who thinks Griffey can still play center field. I hope he's right.

It seems to me that, on the road at least, they should be putting their best defense on the field. That would be Anderson in CF, Crede or Uribe at third, and I don't even know who at first.

voodoochile
08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Option B against RHP

Option C against LHP

Swish CF
Konerko 1B
Thome DH

Edit: Why you would ever take JD out of the lineup ever is beyond me. If you are planning on JD at DH, you are simply putting Anderson's bat in for Thome.

Eddo144
08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Option A is a little more outside the box (but I like it and wonder if it will be necessary after we see Griffey in CF):

(Swisher, Konerko odd men out vs righties, get some playing time in against lefties with Griffey sitting out [gives him some rest and takes the advice of the Reds fan who posted here. Meanwhile Swisher's last 3 year splits look slightly better as a right handed hitter)
I guess you have to make some adjustments, even though Dye has looked good in right lately (and I guess you could always contemplate Griffey at first too), but the main point is Anderson in Center to preserve that important defensive position. I don't see the issue in this, since you're not losing a huge offensive boost with Swisher/Konerko

Why wouldn't you leave Swisher in CF in option A?

My ideal lineup would be this:
CF: Swisher
1B: Thome
DH: Griffey

Maybe see if Griffey can play 1B. If not, rotate Thome to DH, Dye to 1B, and Griffey to RF periodically, if it's too scary to have Thome play 1B every day.

btrain929
08-01-2008, 11:51 AM

:ozzie "Who I gon' poot in center, Brian? HELLLLLLOOOOOO??"

voodoochile
08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh and the way Owens is currently tearing up AAA since returning from the DL, I expect Wise or Anderson to be gone pretty soon.

ChiSoxFan7
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
You can't really protect an outfielder...they all will occasionally have to dive and run into a wall....

so either way i think JR is an injury liability anywhere so really where he plays doesn't matter as much as who you want in the field...

Swish/PK

or BA

kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place

Optipessimism
08-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh and the way Owens is currently tearing up AAA since returning from the DL, I expect Wise or Anderson to be gone pretty soon.
God I hope not. Wise, sure, I hope he goes down for a pitcher. But Anderson? And Owens as a defensive replacement in CF? That's a horrible OF defense even in the Cell, let alone a bigger ballpark. Yikes!

Owens has been doing a great job all year of not interfering with the Major League team. He should stay where he is.

Optipessimism
08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I voted option A. When the pitching starts to suck, you don't remedy the problem by adding more offense at the expense of defense.