PDA

View Full Version : How many Whitesox fans do we have here NOT in the Chicago area?

Whitesoxfan23
08-01-2008, 01:26 AM
I am from Oklahoma. I have been a Sox fan since I was 7 years old. My dad coached my coach pitch team and we even named them the Whitesox. I have rejoiced every win, and punched alot of walls when they lose. I had a Frank Thomas jersey when I was 7 and wore it all the time. I have gotten the opportunity to see the Sox play 4 times throughout the years. I was at Wrigley, when the Whitesox got swept by the Cubs back in 2004. Terrible day.

I got to witness Frank Thomas hit a game winning home run against the Rays (then Devil Rays) back in 2005. I also was at the crazy extra inning game in KC, a few weeks back. I am surrounded by Rangers fans here in Oklahoma. Of course there is also the bandwagon Redsox fans everywhere as well. Most people here are suprised that I am a Whitesox fan, since I live in Oklahoma. I was just curious to see how many people here that are Sox fans, that do not live in the Chicago area. I can't wait to eventually go back to the Cell to see the Sox play. Great website, and Go SOX!!!!:D:

michned
08-01-2008, 01:37 AM
I would think most of the non-Chicago area Sox fans were raised in Chicago (like myself). I do know of one guy who is a big Sox fan who is a lifetime resident of Bisbee, Arizona. He says he was about 13 when Frank Thomas came up and Frank is what made him a Sox fan.

Rockabilly
08-01-2008, 01:42 AM
I live about 8 months in San Fran and the other 4 in Chicago

Region Rat
08-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Baghdad, Iraq. But I'll be back to NW Indiana in a little under a year!!!!!!!

I got to witness Frank Thomas hit a game winning home run against the Rays (then Devil Rays) back in 2005.
Was that the game in July where he hit it in the 8th inning? I think I was on leave and at that game with my pops.

LITTLE NELL
08-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Born in Chicago in 1946, moved to SW Florida in 1993. Dont get up to Chicago much but I will be up there Aug 19-25, going to Sox game on the 23rd against the Rays. Id like to meet some of you, how about before the game at the Fox-Aparicio sculpture.

Bucky F. Dent
08-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Currently in Indianapolis.

Born and raised in 'da region.

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2008, 07:10 AM
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and achieved White Sox consciousness during the 1983 pennant race. Now I'm one of many Chicago transplants in and around Dallas.

MiamiSpartan
08-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Raised in Wheaton, and now living in Cutler Bay, FL--SW of Miami...

Thome25
08-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Raised in Cicero/Berwyn now living on the east coast in the Pennsylvania/Maryland/Delaware region.

Been a White Sox fan for 18 years now. I became a fan when I was 12 or 13 and I found out the White Sox had acquired Vincent Edward (Bo) Jackson.

From there, Frank Thomas was my favorite player with 1(A) being Robin Ventura.

I'm living proof that an era like the early and mid 1990's can really create new fans out of youngsters that weren't fans before.

I think the current era (2005 WS win to the present.) is doing just the same thing. Youngsters are latching onto the White Sox because of this and we probably won't be hearing from these fans for another 10-15 years when they'll start showing up on WSI saying "Yeah I became a fan in 2005 when I was a kid."

Edit: I accidentally switched Bo Jackson's 1st and middle names. OOPS!!

Irishsoxfan
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Live 4,000 miles away in Ireland and have been a fan of baseball since I knew what baseball was (not that young, most people here still think baseball is softball). Became a White Sox fan somehow, guess I was just lucky. Never been to Chicago but catch at least 3 games a week on mlb.tv. Run my own club in the Irish League and my teams (2) are called the Black Sox and we use the old style Sox logo on our unis. The Black Sox name is not a reference to THEE Black Sox but just because it is a cool name and I don't like using mlb team names. When my son is old enough to appreciate and remember it, I plan on bringing him to Chicago to see the team properly and have the full baseball experience.

JohnTucker0814
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
I was born in Des Moines, IA, and have lived my entire life in Iowa and my entire familiy are all die hard White Sox fans... our love for the Sox started with my grandpa who lived in the Babe Ruth era and for some reason he was a huge Sox fan, took my dad to games all the time, so it's just been passed down. Never lived any closer to Chicago than I do now in Davenport!!!

kraut83
08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I grew up in South Bend, and my dad took me to my first game in '83. Between my dad being a lifelong fan, and Ron Kittle homering in my first game, I was hooked.

Went to Michigan for college.

Then moved out here for 5 years:
the Pennsylvania/Maryland/Delaware region.

Now back in MI, with most of my friends being Tiger fans.

Over By There
08-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Born and raised in and around Chicago, but now live in the Bayou, where my wife and her large family is from.

angiew
08-01-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm an Okie, raised in a very small town....home of UL Washington (short stop for the Royals in the mid '80's. Pine Tar Incident anyone?:D:). UL is a friend and classmate of my dad, so needless to say we never missed a Royals game. In my mid teen's, rebellion set in and I defected to the Sox just to piss him off...hehehe Now he's a Ranger's fan, as most Okies are (UGH) but he does follow the Sox with me and has Carlos and Jenks on his fantasy team. I'm slowly bringing him into the fold:)

MarySwiss
08-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Born in Bridgeport, lived on the South Side until I was 12, then Uptown, Rogers Park, Belmont/Harlem area, but weirdly enough, I never lived in a suburb until we moved to Arizona in '96.

delben91
08-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Born and raised just outside DC. I'm yet another guy that became a fan when Big Frank came up.

Migrated to Delaware, NJ, and now Michigan, and have carried my Sox fandom with me proudly all along the way.

I want Mags back
08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I am from Oklahoma. I have been a Sox fan since I was 7 years old. My dad coached my coach pitch team and we even named them the Whitesox. I have rejoiced every win, and punched alot of walls when they lose. I had a Frank Thomas jersey when I was 7 and wore it all the time. I have gotten the opportunity to see the Sox play 4 times throughout the years. I was at Wrigley, when the Whitesox got swept by the Cubs back in 2004. Terrible day.

I got to witness Frank Thomas hit a game winning home run against the Rays (then Devil Rays) back in 2005. I also was at the crazy extra inning game in KC, a few weeks back. I am surrounded by Rangers fans here in Oklahoma. Of course there is also the bandwagon Redsox fans everywhere as well. Most people here are suprised that I am a Whitesox fan, since I live in Oklahoma. I was just curious to see how many people here that are Sox fans, that do not live in the Chicago area. I can't wait to eventually go back to the Cell to see the Sox play. Great website, and Go SOX!!!!:D:
welcome to the site

tlebar318
08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Chicago Transplant--Born in Bridgeport in the shadow of Old Comiskey Park--moved to Orlando in 1993 to get away from snow! Lifelong Sox Fan since 1965 and will be till my dying day! Go Sox!:D:

Madscout
08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
I used to, but I now live in Pittsburgh.

GoGoSox05
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Born and raised in Columbus, OH...and surrounded by Tribe fans

My parents are from Chicagoland though, and my Dad taught me to love the Sox

Hokiesox
08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm a product of the Woodridge area but transplanted to DC. A proud Sox fan among a family of Cubs fans too!

stillz
08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Grew up in the western burbs - spent summers going to old comiskey with the family and loving everything about it. The '80s gave way to the '90s and I moved to Bloomington, IN. Here with the wife and kids - we still love white sox baseball... :D:

BRDSR
08-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Out here in DC for law school, but raised in the Chicago area. Had split season tickets for three years, which I purchased when KW signed Tad Iguchi before the 2005 season, which I thought was the move that would put them over the top and make them a playoff caliber team that year (man, how smart am I?).

Hopefully will move back to the Chicago area after/soon after law school.

eriqjaffe
08-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I sort of qualify for this - life-long Sox fan who grew up in Schaumburg...moved to LA back in '95 (had to do something with that degree in Film), but returned to the Chicago area in 2002.

wilburaga
08-01-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm a spontaneously generated lifelong White Sox fan. I was born in Brooklyn in the early 50's into a passionate baseball family. My father was an avid Giants fan, my mother loved the Dodgers. The house behind her belonged to one Gil Hodges. They both hated, and I do mean hated, the Yankees.

So when it came time for me to choose my own team to cheer for, I could support either the Giants or the Dodgers, and alienate one parent, or choose the Yankees and be left on the street. With the wisdom of Solomon I chose none of the above, and centered my affections on the Yankees' chief rival at the time, the White Sox. The fact that at the time Nellie Fox was among the closest major leaguers to me in terms of size and stature facilitated the decision.

I'm also an evangelical White Sox fan. The betrayals of the Dodgers and Giants brought my parents into the fold. My wife was converted out of necessity. My daughters both wanted to eat. When my younger daughter was accused of being a bandwagoner at college in October of 2005 she went to her dorm room and produced a remarkably weathered Sox cap. My sister came on board eons ago, but to her everlasting shame married a Yankee fan.
These mixed marriages never work. One of her daughters often sports a cap with the interlocking 'N' and 'Y'. Disgraceful.

Being a White Sox fan in NYC has its moments the best of which was the ticker tape parade I staged for myself on October 27th, 2005, up the Canyon of Heroes in downtown Manhattan, occasionally sprinkling myself with shredded paper, a dignified procession of one.

W

downstairs
08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Big Easy Sox fan here. Moved from Chicago, so I did grow up a Sox fans.

Not too many baseball fans down here, but a lot of tourists- so most bars will play any game you want without bother.

Seeing you're from Oklahoma- congrats on getting a basketball team. You guys pretty damn near stole our Hornets!

voodoochile
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I added a poll, interesting question about where people lived when they formed their alliance with our boys in silver and black.

I'm obviously option number two.

Oh and for people who want a poll sucks option, vote for the churros or just don't vote...:tongue:

voodoochile
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Being a White Sox fan in NYC has its moments the best of which was the ticker tape parade I staged for myself on October 27th, 2005, up the Canyon of Heroes in downtown Manhattan, occasionally sprinkling myself with shredded paper, a dignified procession of one.

W

Sounds awesome. Beats me standing in a parking lot at Chili's in the dark all alone screaming my head off...

Thome25
08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Born in Bridgeport, lived on the South Side until I was 12, then Uptown, Rogers Park, Belmont/Harlem area, but weirdly enough, I never lived in a suburb until we moved to Arizona in '96.

My mother grew up in Rogers Park (God rest her soul.) Her and her brother grew up Cubs fans. My father also spent a good portion of his childhood in Rogers Park and he claims to like both the White Sox and Cubs. (imagine that!!) Two of his brothers were northside White Sox fans.

Needless to say, I formed my own allegeance to the White Sox.

arKnaD7
08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Born and raised in Eastern Iowa (about half-way between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids), became a Sox fan when we got satellite TV at my house and had almost every Sox game available to watch.

An interesting fact about where I live is that former MLB player/Sox 3rd base coach/Cubs manager Bruce Kimm is my neighbor. He got me tickets when he was the 3rd base coach for a series against the Twins (I'm pretty sure Frank Thomas had a big, late HR in one of the games).

ramorgan1
08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't fit any of the poll options.

Grew up in Southern Illinois... picked the Sox rather than my hometown team (I prefer to say i lived on the extreme southside).

Went to college in urbana/champaign

Moved to Chicago after school. Eventually had Sox season tickets. In late 2007 moved to Houston for my job.

So i was neither born in Chicago, nor currently live in Chicago, but am 100% die-hard. Watch every game, listen when i can't watch, follow pitch-by-pitch on my blackberry when I can't do either of the others...

thechico
08-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Define Chicago area. Does this include places like Rockford, Starved Rock, South Bend, Kankakee, Kenosha or even *gasp* Racine?
:scratch:

voodoochile
08-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't fit any of the poll options.

Grew up in Southern Illinois... picked the Sox rather than my hometown team (I prefer to say i lived on the extreme southside).

Went to college in urbana/champaign

Moved to Chicago after school. Eventually had Sox season tickets. In late 2007 moved to Houston for my job.

So i was neither born in Chicago, nor currently live in Chicago, but am 100% die-hard. Watch every game, listen when i can't watch, follow pitch-by-pitch on my blackberry when I can't do either of the others...

Vote option D. You were raised elsewhere and were a Sox fan before you briefly moved to Chicago.

voodoochile
08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Define Chicago area. Does this include places like Rockford, Starved Rock, South Bend, Kankakee, Kenosha or even *gasp* Racine?
:scratch:

Sure.... If you want it to... Heck, throw Gary into the lot...

KyWhiSoxFan
08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I was born and raised on the south side. I became a fan at age 11 when my grandfather told me I had to choose a Chicago team to root for. All the teams I liked at the time were all out of town, whether football or baseball. So I picked the Sox and have been a die-hard fan ever since.

A good friend who lives here in Lexington grew up in Detroit, but he is a staunch White Sox fan and has been since he was a teen.

all*star quentin
08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Raised in Cicero/Berwyn now living on the east coast in the Pennsylvania/Maryland/Delaware region.

Been a White Sox fan for 18 years now. I became a fan when I was 12 or 13 and I found out the White Sox had acquired Vincent Edward (Bo) Jackson.

From there, Frank Thomas was my favorite player with 1(A) being Robin Ventura.

I'm living proof that an era like the early and mid 1990's can really create new fans out of youngsters that weren't fans before.

I think the current era (2005 WS win to the present.) is doing just the same thing. Youngsters are latching onto the White Sox because of this and we probably won't be hearing from these fans for another 10-15 years when they'll start showing up on WSI saying "Yeah I became a fan in 2005 when I was a kid."

Edit: I accidentally switched Bo Jackson's 1st and middle names. OOPS!!
You are correct. WS 05 became a sore spot for Adult Cub fans with children because all their kids starting wearing sox gear. I love it.

Sad
08-01-2008, 11:33 AM
originally from Portage / Valparaiso area
now living near St. Joseph/Benton Harbor MI

always have been a Chicago fan and visit often...

chuckn98229
08-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I was grew-up in the south burbs (Lansing). Always been a White Sox fan. Met someone out here who has never been to Chicago but is a White Sox fan because of Frank Thomas. (He is coming to Chicago with me to see a couple of White Sox games Sept 12 & 13.)

AZChiSoxFan
08-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I was born and raised in Phoenix, where I still live. When I was growing up, there were no Dbacks (or Coyotes or AZ Cardinals for that matter) so if you loved baseball like I did, you were basically on solid ground to pick whatever team you wanted to. The 83 team caught my eye with Hoyt, Kittle, the Bull, etc. I loved that team.

My wife went to college in Chicago and we have lots of friends there. We get back to the city at least twice a year. I tell people that while Phx is my biological hometown, Chicago is my adopted hometown.

bluestar
08-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I grew up in Bowling Green, KY and became a Sox fan in 1977 as a senior in high school, primarily because all of my friends were either Reds or Braves fans, and I wanted to be different (I have always been like that, I guess). Of course, that was the year of the Southside Hitmen, and I thought they were extremely cool.

It was very difficult to follow the Sox in those days. If I was lucky, I might see a game or two a season on NBC on Saturday. I could sometimes pick up radio broadcasts of Sox games. Most of the time, I would have to wait for the daily newspaper, which we didn't receive until the afternoon, to see what happened the previous day.

I became a more ardent fan as the years went on. I attended my first game in Chicago in 1993. I have tried to attend a few games each year since.

Today, it is much easier to follow the team thanks to the Internet, cable television and WSI!

Desert Rat
08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Born and raised near Gage Park. My wife from NW Indiana. We've been in Vegas for almost 8 years now. Try to get back to visit a couple times a year. Our 1st real "date" was at a Sox game and our brick reflects that. We've had some nice Sox road trips the last few years. I came back for the '05 ALCS games. We both came back for WS games 1 and 2. We still talk about that experience like it was yesterday. We watch every game on the extra innings package that's not blacked out. Usually on DVR so we don't miss a pitch. I know you purists might not like the idea of not watching live but with the time differences we don't miss a thing that way. I always run into Sox fans visiting here and we talk for a few minutes like old friends. We're Chicagoans and Sox fans so who's surprised by that? Trying hard to keep the faith after last night. Lot's of support outside of Chicago. Let's cheer them on the rest of the way!

CRAW
08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Corn-fed Iowa boy my whole life (Des Moines), and back in the late 80's early 90's I got into card collecting. I chose the White Sox as my team, and the rest is history - a great, fun, entertaining history.

I get out to Chicago about once a year to see the Sox, the sights and some friends. Albeit expensive, Chicago is a great place to visit!

GO SOX!!!

Oldfellah
08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Native Bridgeportian, now living way South of the South Side!!:redneck

Have been a Sox fan since birth playing in the shadows of the old stadium at Armour.. Man I miss those days!

doublem23
08-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Born and raised in Chicago, I live in Central Illinois now, but the Countdown to moving back home is on and down to less than 1 year.

Malgar 12
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I live in Huntington WV. I grew up in Edmonton, Ft. Colllins CO, and Ann Arbor, MI. My Dad grew up on the west side of Chicago (Austin HS). He passed it on to me and my siblings, I have passed it on to my sons.

palehozenychicty
08-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I grew up in South Bend, and my first Sox game was in 1989 at Old Comiskey. Then the Silver Hawks were an 'A' ball affilliate for years. Now I live out East, but I'm holding it down.

manders_01
08-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Currently in Indianapolis.

Born and raised in 'da region.

Currently in Denver.

Raised in 'da region. :D:

It's Dankerific
08-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I was born in Bucktown before it was cool to be from Bucktown. (In fact, the first time I even heard of Bucktown was when some realty company sponsored our little league team).

My Grandpa was a Sox fan, he had 7 kids, 5 boys. Of those 5 boys, 1 was a Sox fan, my father. Both my Grandpa and my Father worked for a living, as a model maker and an auto mechanic. We didn't have the luxury of going to day games in the middle of the week. It became a real treat to go see the a White Sox game when we were able. Sometimes with an uncle throwing us tickets from his work or someone trading tickets for a brake job. About 2-3 times a year, but those 2-3 times a year were my favorite times of the summer. When the Silver and Black pack came out, I was able to see a guaranteed 3 games a year for $15, that seemed heaven sent.

In 2000, I moved to LA. Whenever MLB came out with MLB.tv, I bought it. Until I had cable, and bought Extra Innings, then HD with DirecTv. In 2005 right after game 1 of the ALCS, I booked my trip back home to Chicago for the World Series. I was at game 5 of the ALCS in Anaheim, hit the portillos that had just opened near by after the game. I took the season ticket deal for WS tickets from the Sox, and watched game 1 and 2 from right field. Watched the next 2 games at various bars in Chicago.

I come back for a few games each year, planning any sort of family visiting around a homestand.

Still going to live in LA for another month, then going up to Portland, Or. Cascadian Subduction region be damned.

Thigpen "57"
08-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Raised in the North burbs, lived in Bucktown a couple years, now have been residing in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

One thing that I have hated hearing my whole life when telling people I am from the north burbs is "Aren't you suppose to be a Cubs fan?! Huh huh huh."
Yeah, yeah, laugh it up knuckehead. Here is a World Series knuckle sandwich! POW!

manders_01
08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm a spontaneously generated lifelong White Sox fan. I was born in Brooklyn in the early 50's into a passionate baseball family. My father was an avid Giants fan, my mother loved the Dodgers. The house behind her belonged to one Gil Hodges. They both hated, and I do mean hated, the Yankees.

So when it came time for me to choose my own team to cheer for, I could support either the Giants or the Dodgers, and alienate one parent, or choose the Yankees and be left on the street. With the wisdom of Solomon I chose none of the above, and centered my affections on the Yankees' chief rival at the time, the White Sox. The fact that at the time Nellie Fox was among the closest major leaguers to me in terms of size and stature facilitated the decision.

I'm also an evangelical White Sox fan. The betrayals of the Dodgers and Giants brought my parents into the fold. My wife was converted out of necessity. My daughters both wanted to eat. When my younger daughter was accused of being a bandwagoner at college in October of 2005 she went to her dorm room and produced a remarkably weathered Sox cap. My sister came on board eons ago, but to her everlasting shame married a Yankee fan.
These mixed marriages never work. One of her daughters often sports a cap with the interlocking 'N' and 'Y'. Disgraceful.

W

:rolling: That's awesome!

mccoydp
08-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Born in Virginia, raised in Virginia and North Carolina.

Started watching baseball in the fall of 1990, and got hooked on the White Sox.

Spent my first year of college at the Illinois Institute of Technology from 1992-1993. Transferred to school in Georgia after that first year.

I've been making it to go see the Sox for the last three years. I was able to spend the Memorial Day weekend in Chicago this year, and saw two games vs. the Angels, including the TCQ walk-off game.

October26
08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
This thread is fantastic! I absolutely love hearing all of your stories and am ecstatic to read that there so many Sox fans all over the place.

Edit: Me? I'm an A) Raised on the Northwest side of Chicago and taught by my mom and dad to root for the White Sox. I am proud to now be raising the next generation of Sox fans (my two children)!

Kudos to all of you for keeping the faith and staying loyal to the Silver and Black. Go Sox!

TDog
08-01-2008, 01:33 PM
I worked with someone years ago who was a huge Giants fan. He grew up in Michigan. As a kid, he acquired a Giants hat. I'm not sure if he bought it or won it or whatever. If it was a gift, it wasn't from a Giants fan in the family or anything like that. I always thought that was a bit curious.

My situation is not among the choices. I have never lived in Chicago or the state of Illinois, but I grew up in Northwest Indiana. My grandfather was a Cubs fan, although he claimed to have been a batboy for the White Sox in a game long, long ago. Munster isn't Chicago. I've been a White Sox fan in Bloomington, Indiana (college), Arizona, Wisconsin, Alaska and California since leaving Munster. The White Sox were represented on the borders of Nevada, Mexico and Canada

I've found myself cheering for National League teams along the way -- the Padres, Diamondbacks and Brewers. I could never cheer for any other American League team, and the White Sox take precedence over everything else. When I had a season ticket plan for the Brewers, I remember giving tickets away to friends for weekend games when the Sox were at home, even it meant sitting in the last row of the original new Comiskey upper deck. I cut my hand on the roof once.

I'm currently embedded in A's country. I could cheer for the Giants, but it makes me smile when the A's lose.

DC Sox Fan
08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Born and raised here in the DC burbs. My dad grew up on the south side. We never had a team here growing up, and I never bought into the whole "Orioles are DC's team." So I've always been a Sox fan. Bears, Bulls and Hawks are all my 2nd fave to the Skins, Wiz and Caps.

CaptUSN
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Grew up on the west side (Chicago Ave and Hamlin area... Ryerson E.S. and Our Lady of the Angels... Graduated Lane Tech in '70 and went to Annapolis... Entered nuclear submarine service in 1974 following graduation and have lived on the east coast for every tour... Left the navy in 2002 and served in the federal government for 5 more years... Now working for General Dynamics in the DC area... You can take the boy out of Chicago, but you can't take Chicago out of the boy...

stevemcstud
08-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Born an raised in Orange County, CA. Still live in SoCal. White Sox was my T-Ball team. Have loved them ever since.

Marqhead
08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Born and raised in Oak Park, Illinois. My Dad has always been a die-hard White Sox fan, and I've been a White Sox fan since the Big Frank/1993 team. Went to school in Milwaukee where I was lucky to room in a dorm wing filled with other Sox fans for the 2005 season.

In about a week I'll be holding down the fort for Sox fans in Oriole/Nats territory as I move out to Maryland for 4-5 years.

MISoxfan
08-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I grew up in New Buffalo, MI and believe it or not the Sox fanbase definatelly extends to there. There are at least 5:1 Sox to Tiger fans and about the same number of Cub fans. LOTS of Cub fans vacationing in the area though.

RCWHITESOX
08-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I was born in Chicago and moved to California with my parents at age 11. I lived in Beverly, Ill. My wife and I are planning to move to Colorado next year. Living here in California I have had to put up with the Angel and Dodger fans;and since I'm also a Blackhawk and Bulls fan I sometimes feel like I'm on my own Island. But once a Chicago fan always a Chicago fan except for the hated Cubs.

hula
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Raised on the SW side of Chicago and been a fan since the age of 4 when I saw a Sox helmet in my cousin's room and said, "What's that?!" and 47 years later still happy I choose the best team!

I've been living in North Carolina for nearly 20 years and don't get back to the city nearly as much as I'd like, but we do have three of the Sox's minor league teams here! I'm live in the middle of the state so it's no big deal to drive to the other cities here to see their farm teams or the "big guys" (Sox Chicago players) when they're here rehabbing.

Saw Frank Thomas in Charlotte a couple years ago, as well as Pods last year. Last month saw Konerko there too and then a week later Jenks in Kinston (who by the way, couldn't have been friendlier!). On Sunday we're drivin' to Charlotte to see Crede and Contreras, so there's definitely a plus in living here, aside from virtually no winter cold compared to Chicago! It's great to meet and talk with the players and getting an autograph couldn't be easier!

Oh yes, we're drivin' to Baltimore near the end of August to see the Sox! Couldn't pass it up, it's such a short drive there!

:bandance:

DubSox
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I live in Orlando, FL.

The first little league team I played for when I was 8 was the White Sox, I wore #8 because of Bo, but my first favorite player was One-Dog.

We were supposed to be the Cubs but they had problems getting us the jerseys.

Its scary that I was thisclose to being a Cubs fan.

Viva Medias B's
08-01-2008, 04:00 PM
For our purposes here, I am considering Palos Park a part of Chicago amongst the choices.

UNISox3
08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I have lived in the Des Moines area most of my life except my years in college (Northern Iowa) and my 1 year in dreaded Twins land.

My dad grew up in the Rock Falls area and was a White Sox fan so I became one also. His favorite player growing up was Nellie Fox. I should thank him every day for being a Sox fan since everyone else on that side of the family is a Cubs fan.

The first season I remember is 1983 which was a fun one until October. My favorite all time player is Harold Baines but was only able to see him play with Baltimore when they played the Sox in Chicago.

white sox bill
08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Grew up pulling titts(milking) on a farm in Northwest Illinois, but have traveled all over world, and loved So California the best. Always liked Chicago, very clean when compared to other cities esp. NYC.

Now live in country, only farming is raising chikens for personal use, but have summer home on an island in Lake Superior where storms knock my Dish Network out half the time...:o:

If any city people want to help pluck chickens, LMK!! We can also slop the neighboors hogs too!!

chaotic8512
08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Grew up in Murfreesboro, TN... about 30 mi. SE of Nashville. No one in my family, with the exception of my grandfather, likes sports at all. My first little league team ended up being the White Sox. WGN coverage allowed me to watch the occasional game, and I was hooked.

Also, I got the thrill of my life when the White Sox came to Nashville for spring training, and as a kid reporter for The Tennessean, I got to roam around in the dugout and meet all the players. I interviewed Karkovice and a minor league pitcher named Brian Keyser... of course, the greatest thrill was having the big man sign my baseball, along with Baines, Ozzie, Kark, and about 10 others. Needless to say, my fandom never strayed after that! I went to my first game at the Cell last summer (a White Sox winner over tonight's opponent, the Royals), and have been to 5 White Sox-Rays games -- all losses, 3 of the walkoff variety! Needless to say, I've been thinking about never returning to the Trop again!

Now I'm holding it down in Tallahassee -- 'Nole country. Converting fans every chance I get, and I'll be passing it down for many generations to come! :smile:

Paulwny
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Born and raised in and around the Buffalo, NY area. Been a Sox fan since 1955 . After retiring my wife and I moved to Il.

DubSox
08-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Grew up in Murfreesboro, TN... about 30 mi. SE of Nashville. No one in my family, with the exception of my grandfather, likes sports at all. My first little league team ended up being the White Sox. WGN coverage allowed me to watch the occasional game, and I was hooked.

Also, I got the thrill of my life when the White Sox came to Nashville for spring training, and as a kid reporter for The Tennessean, I got to roam around in the dugout and meet all the players. I interviewed Karkovice and a minor league pitcher named Brian Keyser... of course, the greatest thrill was having the big man sign my baseball, along with Baines, Ozzie, Kark, and about 10 others. Needless to say, my fandom never strayed after that! I went to my first game at the Cell last summer (a White Sox winner over tonight's opponent, the Royals), and have been to 5 White Sox-Rays games -- all losses, 3 of the walkoff variety! Needless to say, I've been thinking about never returning to the Trop again!

Now I'm holding it down in Tallahassee -- 'Nole country. Converting fans every chance I get, and I'll be passing it down for many generations to come! :smile:

Your story sounds a lot like mine.

The only Sox game I have been to have been at the Trop, all 3 were losses too.

I met Karkovice back in March, he threw out the first pitch for a HS baseball tournament I was coaching in. Nice guy, very quiet.

and on top of that I'm a Noles fan too.

VyMaCSoxFan
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Raised in Elmhurst, moved to Whitewater, WI in 1976 in Brewer land when they were in the AL. went to many, many games in old County Stadium. Great times, brought the broom more than once to lean up against the car during tailgating in hopes of a sweep. Moved to Twinkie land back in 1994 and have been here since, but rarely go due to the stadium being such a dump. Just wish the Sox could win more often here.

Go SOX Forever!!!!

Southsider101
08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I was born and raised on the South Side and Blue Island. I've been a Sox fan since the 1959 season when I was nine years old. I'll never forget the night Mayor Daley the First had the fire sirens set off when they won the AL pennant. Everyone on our block went out to the street--we thought the Russians were about to nuke Chicago.

I went to college in Minnesota and settled here in Twins/Vikings land. However, the loyalty to the Sox will always remain. (Despite this awful week at the Metrodome!) Through the years. I've always found time to get back to 35th Steet for two to six games a year.

Perhaps my best memory as a Sox fan is the time I met Mike Veeck and was able to spend some time talking White Sox baseball with him at a St Paul Saints game. A good and gentle man. Baseball needs more like him.

rowand33
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
From the south suburbs, living in Dallas for about a year now.

White Sox forever.

You only get to pick your team allegience in your formative years. The only exception to this is going to an out of state school.

Sox-Bears-Hawks-Bulls-Illini

BleacherBandit
08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Born and raised in Chicago's immediate northern suburbs. My father only took me to Sox games, and here I am, a Sox fan in Cubbie land.

GlassSox
08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Wife is from North Carolina. I'm from NJ. I left NJ for Viet Nam in 1967, then Marion, In, then St Louis 81 - 83 and booed the Cubs in Busch Stadium many times, back to Marion, In, then Bradenton, FL, then to Tulsa, OK, and finally here to Lincoln Park in late 2003. We are White Sox fans since the summer of 2004.

Norberto7
08-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I was born into a Sox family back in Illinois but now live a little farther from the park (Little Rock).

More than once here I've gotten the "You're the first White Sox fan I've ever met."

minastirith67
08-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Born in Kankakee, raised in Bourbonnais. Sox fan since 1989 when I saw Sammy Sosa hit a home run for the Sox at Old Comiskey.

I'm now living in San Diego in a sea of Padres fans who mostly don't bother me. Plan to one day return to Chicago but unfortunately not anytime soon.

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Grew up in LaGrange (LTHS class of '67) spent most of my adult life living in Wheaton and working in Naperville. Have been in Minnesota now for ten years.

Coolpapa
08-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Indianapolis (I hate you cub fans here, please leave town, take your adultering quarterback with you)

PKalltheway
08-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Born in California, lived in Cincinnati since I was 4. My Dad's side of the family lives in Chicago, and we still go up there regularly. My Dad is a Cub fan, as is a decent portion of my family up there. There are a few Sox fans in my family though.

I really liked Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura when I was little, but it was Magglio Ordonez (believe it or not) that turned me into a die hard Sox fan. He was (and still is) one of my favorite players.

Shoeless
08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Born in Maywood and raised in Frankfort. My closest relatives are all Cubs fans, but I got hooked on the White Sox when my family first got cable. I get a lot of crap for being a Sox fan in a family of Cubs fans, but I manage. My favorite player is Robin Ventura.

chaotic8512
08-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Your story sounds a lot like mine.

The only Sox game I have been to have been at the Trop, all 3 were losses too.

I met Karkovice back in March, he threw out the first pitch for a HS baseball tournament I was coaching in. Nice guy, very quiet.

and on top of that I'm a Noles fan too.

There's a surprising amount of Noles fans on board here... off the top of my head, FedEx and 35th&Florida are the ones I can think of. Good to have some allies in Big Ten country. :)

Yeah, Kark was so nice... he could tell I was just a speechless little kid overwhelmed by the awesome situation. When I was writing the article, I remember having to go over the tape recorder I used for the interview many times because it was so tough trying to hear what he said... to say the least, he kinda mumbled a bit.

OmahaSoxFan
08-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I am from Omaha, NE (as you could guess from my user name)... born and raised here all 28 years of my life. My parents took me to Chi-town for vacation when I was 12, in 1992 just after the new Comiskey Park opened up. They took me to a game that weekend we were visiting and I fell in love with the White Sox and I've been a fan ever since. I've been back to Chicago to see the Sox six times since then, and have been down to KC to see several games down there (couldn't make it this weekend because of a wedding :mad:, but caught a game the last series when the Sox won on June 9th 7-6 in KC). I can't wait to get back out to Chicago and catch a game. My friends always ask me why I am a Sox fan and not a Cubs fan (lots of bandwagon Cubs fans around)... and I always tell them I have always hated the Cubs and loved the Sox, simple as that. I've been to Wrigley twice and think it's a hell hole... and their fans suck, plain and simple.

ViPeRx007
08-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I've been in Montana for all of my 24 years, I've never even been to Chicago...though that will change one day!

I guess I first became a fan of the White Sox when Frank Thomas came to the big leagues. I remember getting a Thomas rookie card and putting that thing in the thickest protective case ever made.

TomParrish79
08-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Born in Mississippi, been a sox fan since i was 10 (I'm 28 now)

cubsuck
08-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Been a Sox fan ever since I can remember.

Grew up in Northwest Indiana...now I live in Tampa.

stl_sox_fan
08-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Born and raised in Central Illinois, closest I got to living in Chicago was a few years living in the "City of Lights".

QCIASOXFAN
08-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I hold it down in the Quad Cities along with other posters John Tucker and TheRacehorse... and probably a total of 8 other Sox fans.:bandance:

Born in Chicago lived in NY, Texas, Wisonsin and but raised in Iowa.

Stormin' Norm
08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Born and raised in NWI, Portage to be exact. But have since moved to Ohio and lived in Columbus, Cincinnati, and now a suburb of Cleveland.

Still remember going to my first game in the mid 80's and hearing chants of Ozzie as he ended the game with a game winning base hit.

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
08-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Born in Buffalo Grove (NW suburb), lived there for 14 years, moved to San Francisco for high school, moved back to Chicago for undergrad at Loyola, now in San Diego for law school.

My mom was a Cubs fan, my dad was a Sox fan. My mom should have had a clue I wouldn't be a Cubs fan when I was eight: I named my black and white cat Soxx (I thought the extra X was cool).

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Born in Buffalo Grove (NW suburb), lived there for 14 years, moved to San Francisco for high school, moved back to Chicago for undergrad at Loyola, now in San Diego for law school.

My mom was a Cubs fan, my dad was a Sox fan. My mom should have had a clue I wouldn't be a Cubs fan when I was eight: I named my black and white cat Soxx (I thought the extra X was cool).

Welcome!

You have to excuse some of the other WSI'ers; they're over in the postgame thread agonizing about this loss, but they're actually--well, most of them!--great people. Stick around!

:welcome:

markopat
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Rockford, IL for 40 years and in AZ now for 6...Livin' where there are palm trees rocks!

Vienna
08-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I was born in Rockford, IL and spent the first 18 years of my life there. After college I ended up in Minneapolis, MN. I'm a third-generation Sox fan from both sides of the family. My wife is from the West 'burbs, so we get back to Illinois regularly. We may be moving back to the Chicago area in the near future. If not, the new Twins' Stadium can't come soon enough.

Best,
Matt

MarySwiss
08-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I was born in Rockford, IL and spent the first 18 years of my life there. After college I ended up in Minneapolis, MN. I'm a third-generation Sox fan from both sides of the family. My wife is from the West 'burbs, so we get back to Illinois regularly. We may be moving back to the Chicago area in the near future. If not, the new Twins' Stadium can't come soon enough.

Best,
Matt

Welcome! Has to suck being out there in Twinkie-land. :smile:

EastCoastSoxFan
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Born in Chicago, raised in NW suburbs, moved to Philadelphia to go to college, lived there for a little over 17 years, now my family and I live in the Scranton area.
I chose the username I did because I have been following the Sox from the east coast for many years, although my live games will most likely be limited to Charlotte Knights road trips to Scranton, Syracuse, and the Lehigh Valley

harwar
08-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Born in Kankakee .. moved to 32nd & Ashland when i was 3 .. grew up there.
One of my earliest memories is being on the rooftop of our 3 story flat and watching the fireworks go off after a home run ..

house215
08-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Born and raised in Northbrook, IL. My dad grew up going to Sox games with his father and he passed it on to me and my siblings despite living in the North Shore. Currently, I work on a tour where I'm on the road 10 months out of the year. I rep the Sox as much as I can but I cannot begin to tell you how many times I'm wearing one of my various Sox hats and get asked if I am a Red Sox fan.... :angry:

chisoxflafan
08-04-2008, 02:15 AM
I was born in Kokomo, Indiana. I have been a Sox fan since 1972 when Dick Allen arrived. My father and brother are Cub fans but my Dad just loved baseball. When the Sox won it all, my brother called and said you must be pleased and I told him I was in shock. I moved to Fort Myers, Fl 10 years ago but I still follow my Sox everyday. Everyone at work knows my obsession are the White Sox. I have met other Sox fans down here so I am not alone.

johnnyg83
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Lived in the city till 2000. Now in KC.

Vienna
08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome! Has to suck being out there in Twinkie-land. :smile:

From a sports and food perspective, it can be maddening. Can't tell all of you how great it is to have WSI (and MLB Extra Innings) to follow the Sox. It's nice to have the chance to see the Sox everytime they're in Minneapolis, but man-oh-man, the dome is not a good place to watch baseball(i.e., not fun, food stinks, lack of character, lack of knowledgable fans -- think Wrigley IQ, but with a twist of "Minnesota Nice"). It's like the bizzaro version of U.S. Cellular.

Thankfully, I'll be down to catch a game against the Jays in Sept with my brother.:D:

Gavin
08-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I didn't really jump on any bandwagon but I grew up in the South and was a Sox fan b/c of my family.

soxfan26
08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Grew up in Chicago and lived all over during my Army days and settled in Denver where my wife is from. I've tried other teams on for size but it just doesn't fit - I'm a Sox fan, always will be.

Tragg
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I was born at U of Chicago Hospital and moved to Louisiana 6 months later. Lafayette Louisiana didn't have a mlb team, everyone rooted for the Astros or Cardinals, and wanting to be different, I chose the team of my birth-city. And friendly Bob Adams helped as well, as the games were broadcast down there for a few years.

whitesox901
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
:D: "Never lived in Chicago, ever, My friends think I'm nuts, but I'm still a Sox fan..." This has my sitatuion right on the tee

NDSox12
08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Born in Rockford and raised in Woodstock. I left the Chicago area after college and have lived in Virginia ever since.

Thanks to MLB Extra Innings, I probably watch more Sox games now than I ever did when I lived in the Chicago area. I usually wind up going to at least a half dozen Sox games every year since I go to most of the games in Baltimore and make a trip back to Chicago for a couple games every year.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to be an out-of-the-area Sox fan before the Internet, satellite and digital cable boom.

sas1974
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Born and raised in Brookfield, IL, I currently reside in Oak Park, IL. I did move to Richmond, VA for a year because of work and WSI/MLB.tv were my life lines to the Sox.

BLRMKRdave
08-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Grew up in Lafayette, IN.

Dad grew up in Hammond.

Sox fan for life down in Florence, KY.

HBaines03
08-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I have always lived about 3 hrs away from Chicago in the QC area on the border of Iowa/Illinois. I became a Sox fan after they wore shorts for one game - thought it was different & cool (I was 8). I also knew a kid just up the street from me, who always came over, and he was a Cub fan and never shut up about them. Those 2 things together made me a White Sox fan forever. My favorite player was Harold Baines (sig) with Frank Thomas a close second. Baseball needs more silent performers like Harold Baines and this game would be so much better off! Just my two cents.........

lonestar101285
08-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Born in Melrose Park and lived in Chicago until I was 14, when I moved to El Paso, TX in 2000. It wasn't easy being a Sox fan when a majority of my extended family (on both sides) were Cub fans.

Then here in Texas, I had to deal with the bandwagon D-Back and Astro fans, which is why 2005 was so sweet. It just goes to show you that there are morons just about anywhere you go.

nysox35
08-10-2008, 06:34 PM
I grew up in Chicago in Mt. Greenwood, which is obv a pretty hardcore White Sox neighborhood. I lived there until I went away to college in NJ. I wound up staying out east for law school and work and still have stuck w/ the Sox, though many ppl rip me for also being a Yankee fan (though they are a distant #2 team for me). My Dad is a Yankee fan, so I always sort of followed them as well.

Growing up, we'd go to a game we'd get free tickets to for making the honor roll, and we'd go to one of the Yankee games when they were in town.
Now, I do partial season tickets with the Yankees and will be at all 4 when the WSox are in town.

RockRiversoxfan
08-10-2008, 07:12 PM
While i have heard stories of people becoming cubs fans because of wgn does anybody know someone who became a fan of the sox because of wgn?

Chipol
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Born in Chicago. I still remember the air raid sirens in '59. Currently live north of SF.

SouthSideSlam
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I grew up in Pittsburgh and have been a life-long Pirates fan. In 1996, my job relocated me to Chicago. I auditioned both Chicago teams. It was a no-brainer. The White Sox won my heart right away.

I loved the culture of this team. I love the fans. I loved The Cell. I've been a proud White Sox fan ever since that day I adopted the Sox.
(I must say, however, that I don't call my adopting the White Sox as "jumping on the bandwagon." Perhaps that answer in this thread's poll could have been worded better.)

gregory18n
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
i was raised in arlington heights, surrounded by obnoxious cub fans, being the black sheep of the family, i had to be a sox fan. never left, though i've been gone for 38 years, most of which has been in los angeles. go go sox

MikeW
08-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Grew up in New Jersey and became a White Sox when I was about 5or6 years old. No one could understand why I didn't root for the Yankees,becasue they were in their heyday then with Mantle,Maris and Ford in the early 60's. Something struck me about the Sox,maybe it was the way they played. Stealing bases,bunting great pitching and solid defense. Nellie Fox was my first hero and then came coutless others. Live in CT now and watch the Sox every night with the baseball package.

saltwater farmer
08-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I grew up in pre-MLB Denver, but I visited my grandparents in Ottawa, IL every summer. Grampa always took me to White Sox games and I became a fan for life. I live in Minneapolis now.

billyo
08-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Born and raised in Lismore, Australia. (Just south of the Gold Coast) Have been a Sox fan for more than 40 years. Became a really serious follower in the Chuck Tanner and Tony La Russa years. My disappointment in '83 is still a bad taste in my mouth. I was sure Hoyt/Dotson and Co were good enough to take us the the promised land. Early years were really tough, but internet means I can be as well informed as any Chicagoan. I visit WSI every day in season, though I don't post much. MLB.com is my first port of call daily. By my lunch break each day at work, all games have just about finished so I get the results just in time to either make my food taste great or disgusting! Enjoy both this site and Soxtalk and am hoping for a repeat of the joy of three years ago.

lumpyspun
08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Born in Chicago, raised in NW suburbs, moved to Philadelphia to go to college, lived there for a little over 17 years, now my family and I live in the Scranton area.
I chose the username I did because I have been following the Sox from the east coast for many years, although my live games will most likely be limited to Charlotte Knights road trips to Scranton, Syracuse, and the Lehigh Valley

I was born and mostly raised in Scranton, with a few formative years in the NW Chicago suburbs mixed in. I still visit Scranton b/c my parents live there. I don't think I ever met another serious Sox fan in Scranton so I'm glad you are representing since I moved from there 6 years ago.

30DaysintheHole
08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Grew up watching the Sox on Channel 44 with fuzzy, black and white reception. Great grandparents on both sides passed down the "religion," which kept us loyal in our Cubs northern Suburb.

Now, raising my two boys to be diehards - not easy on the West Coast, but they have both caught the bug.

I do miss Andy the Clown. Hard to explain that guy to an Angels fan, that's for sure.

08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Chicago transplants are ruling this thread! :smile:

wxkid23
08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
My Grandfather (from Kansas) was a "Chicago" fan... he liked both the Cubs and Sox. My Father has always been a Sox fan only since he was very young. I have always been a Sox fan as well since I can remember. Have never lived in Chicago... I wish...

KenBerryGrab
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Here in Capital City, we have a smallish cadre of White Sox fans who band together. I bring a couple with our group every opening day.

I've followed the Sox on the road to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit and Kansas City. Those Brewer-Sox games in the '80s were as feisty as any I've ever been to. Why don't we ever get the Brewers in interleague play?

singapore_sling
08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Born and lived in Winfield(chicago burb) for my first nine years then moved overseas and then to San Antonio. My favorite town is definitely chicago, and of course I love the sox.

Law11
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Born and raised in the Marquette park area of the SW side.
Moved to Palos Hts in the mid 80's, moved to Arlington Hts about 8 years ago.

Like a whole different world up here when it comes to what team reigns supreme as far as sporting good stores stand..

Dicks Sports Orland - wall of Sox stuff
Dick Sports - Woodfield - wall of Cubs stuff.

Thats why I love Grandstand. Just dropped a bundle last week there.
But back to the thread at hand..

RockyMtnSoxFan
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I am like the original poster. I've never lived in Chicago, never even been to Chicago for that matter (except the airport). My dad grew up in Naperville, and was a fan in '59. Also, when I was about 11 or so, a friend gave me my first baseball card, which was a '91 Topps Frank Thomas. I started collecting cards, and became a huge Frank Thomas fan. By comparing the numbers on the cards (do they even have stats these days?), it was easy to tell that Frank was the best hitter in the majors.

I've been to about 5 or 6 Sox games. I grew up in Montana, and we drove out to Seattle twice when I was a kid to see the Sox. They lost every time. I moved to the Denver area in '04, and interleague competition brought the Sox to Denver in '05. So I am proud to say that I saw the best Sox team in ages sweep three straight from the Rockies.

Wickel
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
What better way to debut in this forum than to post in this thread. I'm a rabid White Sox fan in Santa Fe, New Mexico--maybe the only one. Most folks around these parts are Dodger fans (because of the old Albuquerque Dukes) and, more recently, Rockies fans, because of our proximity to Colorado. When I was a kid, my first baseball card was that of Luis Aparicio. In that same deck were Nellie Fox and Al Lopez. I was hooked! My ex-boss is from Chicago (Arlington Heights area) and all her family are Cubs fans. I told her the only good thing about Arlington Heights is Arlington Park (I'm also a huge horse racing fan.).

Vienna
08-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Those Brewer-Sox games in the '80s were as feisty as any I've ever been to. Why don't we ever get the Brewers in interleague play?

I know. I wish they would schedule that match up. Seems like the Sox used to feast on the Brewers before the Brewers went to the NL. The conspiracy theorist in me says they won't as long as Bud and Jerry are pals.

MarySwiss
08-11-2008, 06:12 PM
What better way to debut in this forum than to post in this thread. I'm a rabid White Sox fan in Santa Fe, New Mexico--maybe the only one. Most folks around these parts are Dodger fans (because of the old Albuquerque Dukes) and, more recently, Rockies fans, because of our proximity to Colorado. When I was a kid, my first baseball card was that of Luis Aparicio. In that same deck were Nellie Fox and Al Lopez. I was hooked! My ex-boss is from Chicago (Arlington Heights area) and all her family are Cubs fans. I told her the only good thing about Arlington Heights is Arlington Park (I'm also a huge horse racing fan.).

Woo-hoo! Another from the southwestern part of the country!

WhiteSoxOnly
08-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Born in '59 on the West Side and then pops moved us out to the Northwest suburbs when i was five.First Sox game that i can remember was in '66 and it was against the stinking cubs when they played exhibition games against each other.It was at Old Comiskey and i was hooked for life.Sox beat them,naturally,and the scoreboard was blasting fireworks all night.I remember
the pennant missed in '67 as being my first heartbreak from the Sox.I remember Cowboy Bob Elson on my transistor radio stuffed under my pillow on school nights (and those damn HFC commercials).I remember Looie Aparicio,Bee Bee Richard,No-Neck Williams,Gary Peters,Joel Horlen,Carlos
May and his blown up thumb...Bill Melton winning the home run title on the
last day of the season ("70 or '71 i think).Then Dick Allen showed up and i
thought he was going to take us to the promised land,but that team to fell short.I loved Chuck Tanner as manager.Goose Gossage & Terry Forster out
of the bullpen a couple years later.The South Side Hitmen of '77 gave us one
of the great summers of our young lives.My sister in fact just sent me a copy of a book about that team by Dan Helpingstine.WSI's own Mark Liptak is quoted in the book several times.Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall were hilarious as a tv/radio team.Can't forget Tony LaRussa's division champions
of '83 and the crushing loss to the Orioles for the pennant.I moved out to
Southern California in '86 but brought all my Chicago allegiances with me.
The cubs don't count for ****.How many of us thought the '94 team was gonna be the one ? damn Jerry Reinsdorf for that one.But we all finally got to smell the roses in '05 and i always thought that winning just one World Series would satisfy me.I was wrong.Let's get another.

ChiSoxLifer
08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, does that count?

I moved to the Los Angeles area in 2000 and now live in Chatsworth, CA; adult film capital of the world.

OmarLittle
08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
I was born in Vancouver, Canada and I've lived here all my life. I became a Sox fan because my uncle (who lived in Chicago for 12 years) is the one who got me into baseball in general.

credefan19
08-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I live in Texas, me and my friend Will are both Sox fans

Cavahoo
08-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Born, raised, and still live in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Recently made my 30th annual trip to Comiskey and never miss the SOX in Baltimore and will never miss them in DC if/when they the Nationals. And I get to see the Charlotte Knights play about 10 times a year when they play here in Norfolk.

See y'all in Camden Yards in 2 weeks...pre and post game beers at Pickles Pub!

CRAW
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I have lived in the Des Moines area most of my life except my years in college (Northern Iowa) and my 1 year in dreaded Twins land.

My dad grew up in the Rock Falls area and was a White Sox fan so I became one also. His favorite player growing up was Nellie Fox. I should thank him every day for being a Sox fan since everyone else on that side of the family is a Cubs fan.

The first season I remember is 1983 which was a fun one until October. My favorite all time player is Harold Baines but was only able to see him play with Baltimore when they played the Sox in Chicago.

Iowa Sox fans! :D:

Wickel
08-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Woo-hoo! Another from the southwestern part of the country!

Thank you, Mary. Glad to be aboard. Now let's bring home that world title!!!

Mark
08-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Have lived the majority of my life 20 miles or so from Yankee Stadium, but it was Richard Anthony's big lumber and the red pinstripes of the early 1970s that caught my attention, and it's been the Pale Hose for me ever since.

nccwsfan
08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Born and raised in the Chicagoland area, I've been away about 12 years now. The White Sox have always been in my blood; I usually make an annual trip to the Cell to see them play, and whenever they're on the East Coast I'll try to make a visit.

GeauxSox
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Born in Moline, moved to New Orleans area in 1983. I get to see very few games at the Cell, but I was in skybox 457 last Saturday. We lost, but it was great fun.

tick53
08-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Born and raised on the South Side but I regret to say, I live elsewhere. However, I'm only 85 miles away from the greatest city in the world, Chicago. Sox fan into the afterlife.

Mots09
08-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Born and raised in the Quad Cities (Davenport); dealt with Cubs fans all my life... Now in West Des Moines, IA.... more Cubs fans

kingpin_rcs
08-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I grew up in northwest Indiana (that qualifies as "Chicago" doesn't it?). I now live in Portland, OR. Sox fan for life and beyond.

Britt Burns
08-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Austin, Texas! I've lived in Texas most of my life...my dad was a big Sox fan, and starting when I was six with the South Side Hitmen of '77 I became one too.

WhiteSox Brad
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I grew up in Iowa. I originally became a Sox fan to spite my Dad (Yankees fan) and Grandparents (Cubs fans, of course). My wife and I lived in Clarendon Hills for four years, which solidified my love of the White Sox and U.S. Cellular Field. Now, living in West Des Moines, IA, my family and I are surrounded by Cub and Cardinal fans. We love to fly our huge White Sox flag in front of our house to show where our loyalties lie.

Go Sox!

Ex-MtGreenwood
08-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Born & raised Chicago. Grew up a Sox & Bear fan. Moved to Minnesota 23 years ago and I'm still a Bear fan. But...alas, I succombed to the Dark Side and bleed Twinkie blood in the summer. You can't help it up here. They are always the unknown underdogs that keep plugging away. Go Bears, I'll never bleed purple.

BigP50
08-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Raised in Wheaton, and now living in Cutler Bay, FL--SW of Miami...

I used to live in Wheaton

Kwik10z
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Born and still residing in Ohio......never been to Chicago....have followed the Sox since Frank Thomas day 1 era~!!!

Go Sox