PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Bullpen commits Hari Kari, Sox lose to Twins

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 11:34 PM
The Twins score seven runs in two innings off Sox relievers.

Discuss this abomination in which we leave the Hump Dump with a half game lead.

oeo
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Posted it in the game thread, I'll post it again:
We just have to shake this series off, like we did after the Wrigley series earlier this year. Tip your cap, move on. We got them in our house, they got us in their's.

We have one more series left with the Twins, so how we play in this crappy Dome isn't going to make or break our season. It's going to be how we play elsewhere.

Let's just get out of here, sweep those Royals, and be happy with a 6-4 road trip.

sox1970
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Season will go down to the last weekend.

KnightSox
07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Bad bullpen and sloppy play, regroup for KC.

BeviBall!
Ozzie pulls his team, and in turn, their game, off the field. Only in Minnesota. Can't wait for that September series!

Blueprint1
The Twins seem play alot of bad teams the second half.

hellview
Lefties really did there job controling Mauer and Morneau this series...

Cuck the Fubs
Still in first place........

Go into KC pissed off and batter them for a 3 game sweep.

Shall we?

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't even care about the losses, we demolished them at home, and now they took 3 out of 4.

The bullpen needs to get it together though. This is 07 form. I'm hoping it's just a few rare flashes on the road (you know Dotel has it once in a while but overall he's been pretty good), so we'll see

1908<2005
Classy fans in Minny. Almost as classy as Flub fans.

rdwj
There is nothing worse than losing leads. It's soooooooo annoying.

I hate the ****ing Twins!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry::angry::angry:

kruzer31
Is anyone else sick of Hawk complaining about umps and just thinking Carlos Gomez is God???? Compares him to Rickey Henderson too???? Maybe I am just frustrated while watching this pitiful game.

Jeff

KnightSox
Posted it in the game thread, I'll post it again:
We just have to shake this series off, like we did after the Wrigley series earlier this year. Tip your cap, move on. We got them in our house, they got us in their's. That is the best way to look at it.

LoveYourSuit
Best thing that will come out of today and tonight is that Boone and Masset are both gone on the same night!

Why not bring Aaron Poreda up?

Every team appears to roll the dice with their best stud starter in the minors to bring up to the pen down the stretch? Jaba, Papelbon, The Fighting Irish guy from the Cubs.

Enough with these crap arms on the pen.

Sockinchisox
07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Is anyone else sick of Hawk complaining about umps and just thinking Carlos Gomez is God???? Compares him to Rickey Henderson too???? Maybe I am just frustrated while watching this pitiful game.

Jeff

Carlos Gomez sucks, he just doesn't suck against the White Sox.

Tragg
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
The sloppy play has persisted for several weeks.
That's all the twins do - they let you beat yourself. They'll gladly take the walks if you're throwing it all over the place, they defend the field. They threw mainly average pitchers at us all week - the Sox got themselves out a lot. Talent wise, they're not that great. But they wait for you to screw up. And we did.

gosox3072
The only happy part about tonite is the fact that tommarow we dont play in a dome

Rikirk
I can not wait for that Twin dome to be Bombed...will be the greatest day of my life..that damn place is a curse for us.

What the hell happened to the team!!...

duh...Im...eh.....

ah forget it...that was utterly pathetic.

oeo
I don't even care about the losses, we demolished them at home, and now they took 3 out of 4.

The bullpen needs to get it together though. This is 07 form. I'm hoping it's just a few rare flashes on the road (you know Dotel has it once in a while but overall he's been pretty good), so we'll see

It's mostly two guys: Boone Logan and Matt Thornton. They cannot be put into any games that matter right now. Ozzie 'put them on notice' and still used them in big spots. Memo to Ozzie: they can't get outs right now. Why did we not see DJ Carrasco? That's who should have relieved Danks...not Thornton; especially when Mauer kills lefties.

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
I can not wait for that Twin dome to be Bombed...will be the greatest day of my life..that damn place is a curse for us.

duh...Im...eh.....

We clinched our 2000 Division there.

turners56
Kenny, I like the effort. But for god's sakes, our BULLPEN SUCKS! I'd rather have Street rather than Griffey. On another note, Twins fans are now the biggest d-bags in baseball. IMO, that delay messed up Danks' rhythm.

Jurr
At the end of the day, the Twins are going to be well short of a World Series. They can do whatever they want in that abomination of a stadium, but they WILL NOT BE THERE AT THE END. They come out of that stupid hovel and they're vulnerable. They have plenty of games on the road. They'll crash to earth. After all, it's the Twins. What have they done of relevance in the past 17 years? Nada.

Meanwhile, this team had plenty of opportunities to get out of innings. You absolutely CANNOT AFFORD TO PROLONG INNINGS. Cabrera lets a Mauer liner eat him up. That leads to trouble. I don't even want to mention Swisher. Jee-zus.

Don't give the bullpen the entire blame for this. The DEFENSE needs to step it up.

Rikirk
07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Hey Kenny...heres a thought...

Maybe you should have traded for some PITCHING!

RowanDye
What a nightmare. Must get at least two in Kansas.

kruzer31

I agree, but Hawk just compains about every corner strike called on the Sox and he just annoyed the heck out of me tonight. Seeing Danks laughing on the mound tonight after the homer by Morneau really ticked me off too. Hopefully this slow power hitting sox team can get hot and the pitching will hold up.

Jeff

White City
Best thing that will come out of today and tonight is that Boone and Masset are both gone on the same night!

Why not bring Aaron Poreda up?

Every team appears to roll the dice with their best stud starter in the minors to bring up to the pen down the stretch? Jaba, Papelbon, The Fighting Irish guy from the Cubs.

Enough with these crap arms on the pen.

Agreed. Assuming Linebrink is out for a while, let's see a pen of Thornton, Dotel, Jenks, Russell, Carrasco, Poreda and Link. Why not?

peeonwrigley
deja vu

VenturaFan23

Same can be said for Nick Punto too. :angry:

Viva Medias B's
07-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Let's just put this one behind us and move onto KC!

soxfandy

Jeff

Yea I honestly get sick of it. Carlos Gomez is terrible against everybody else except the Sox. We make him look like God and that is prolly all hawk sees of him.

Can Griffey pitch in relief because lately that looks like a need we didnt address.

hoosiersoxfan
I'm calling it right now. Sox sweep them in the dome next month!

aryzner
How many games do the Sox have left at home/road?

How many games do the Twins have left at home/road?

Kilroy

Jeff

The umps blew for 4 straight games, and Gomez played really ****in good. IF we were winning these games instead of getting tree-trunked in the brown-eye, you wouldnt have cared that much.

JB98

Jeff

You are not alone. Check Gomez's OBP. Other clubs around the league get him out. We do not. It's preposterous.

kruzer31
We clinched our 2000 Division there.

We clinched with a Loss.

Jaysox
07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
We play the Twins one more series this year correct? Do we play them at the Cell or in that damn dome?

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 11:44 PM
I made a mistake in the thread title.

There actually is some honor in the ritualistic practice of Hari Kari.

There is no honor whatsoever in defecating all over the mound like the Sox bullpen did tonight.

I'd like to see what kind of OPS the Twins have against Sox relievers this year. On second thought, I wouldn't like to see it. I'd probably puke all over my keyboard.

Ishmookie
we better get it together and fast.

oeo

Jeff

Nah, Hawk's love for Gomez is WAAAAAAAAY over the top. Without his speed, he's probably hitting .215 right now...not like what he's doing right now is great anyway. He's not very good. Maybe he has 'loads of potential' but he's not fulfilling it right now. All I see is probably the fastest guy in the league.

southsideirish71
07-31-2008, 11:45 PM

duh...Im...eh.....

I am sick and tired of fans of our team, the announcers, the manager and others making that dome into a house of horrors. Its a division opponent. Play fundamental baseball and we can win anywhere. Kick the ball around, and you will lose against a fundamentally sound team. This cursed crap is cublike and needs to stop. Our inability for our team to play fundamental baseball is why we suck in the dome. Not the boogy man.

White City
On a plus note, Our starters did OK in this series, except for Buehrle (but I think that was a delayed effect from last week's events).

We scored some runs.

We have arms on the farm to try in the bullpen. Can they be any worse than Logan now or Wasserman a month ago, or Masset since May?

peeonwrigley
We play the Twins one more series this year correct? Do we play them at the Cell or in that damn dome?

Our next to last series is at the dome.

Then we come home to host the Tribe, they host KC to close out the season.

Those 3 games at the Dome could be huge.

Jurr
How many games do the Sox have left at home/road?

How many games do the Twins have left at home/road?
Sox have played about 5 less home games than Minny. Minnesota had a higher ratio of home games in the first half. They are a good team, but they're not THAT good. They are horrible away from the baggie dome.

Much like Detroit in '06 (with us), we'll let the rest of baseball take care of our light work. We don't need to beat Minnesota's ass every time out. The rest of the league can do it, starting against Cleveland.

Frater Perdurabo

The second-to-last series of the year is in the Dump Dome.

The Twins do not visit Chicago any more this year.

Mohoney
If there are any big time stat guys/sabremetricians viewing right now, can you do me a favor and post the ground ball/fly ball ratios in this series for both teams?

Boondock Saint
The Twins suck. That ****ing dome sucks. This series sucked. But after all that bull****, the Twins are still looking up at us in the division. We, as fans, as well as the Sox themselves have got to maintain a positive attitude. If we drop the division lead, it doesn't mean we can't take it right back. On the other side of the coin, if we go up by 5 games, we can't assume that the division is ours.

We knew this road trip was going to be rough. So far, we're 3-4, and I can live with that. If we can take 2 from KC, I'd be pretty happy with the trip.

LoveYourSuit
This bitching about the Dome nonesense needs to stop.

The Dome played ZERO to the outcome of any of the games in the series.

The Sox are who to blame.

They pissed away a pair for 4-0 leads into the 5th inning. Champioship teams do not do this.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
The Sox could have easily won three of the four games in this series and been 4 1/2 up...instead the Twins twice come back from four runs down in the middle innings to either get back in the game or go ahead.

Welcome to the House of Horrors people.

Amazing the way these guys score runs with two out isn't it? The three run dinger tonight that put them back in the game came with two outs.

Well at least they didn't get swept, maybe they can play better in Kansas City.

Oh Boone Logan needs to be sent to Charlotte.

Lip

It's Time
I'm still steemed at the JR. addition and then that performance? KW, I think you needed a starter and another pen man. What the **** does JR. bring to the Sox right now?

He can't run, he can't pitch and he's not a good outfield anymore.

As fas as this game, like Hawk said, this team craps the bed in the dome. It's truly a house of horrors.

The pen is a major concern right now.

DickAllen72
Bad game for Swisher at 1B tonight.

Bad defense is killing the Sox this year.

Parrothead
face it the Sox don't have it this year and griffey can't pitch (or hit, run and field). They blow as a team.

kruzer31
I am sick and tired of fans of our team, the announcers, the manager and others making that dome into a house of horrors. Its a division opponent. Play fundamental baseball and we can win anywhere. Kick the ball around, and you will lose against a fundamentally sound team. This cursed crap is cublike and needs to stop. Our inability for our team to play fundamental baseball is why we suck in the dome. Not the boogy man.

Pretty well said. What else is there to say. We sucked this series.

Urban Legend
The Twins and Twins fans should be embarrassed that they only won three out of four in that park. That's not a baseball stadium, it's a big pinball machine. Even Jermain's homr run looked like it was hit 200 feet at a little league park. If the Twins don't go 81-0 there, Gardy on up should be given the ax.

When Kubel hit his home run, after the Evil Twins fans had been warned about throwing things on the field, a 'fan' (read that: idiot residing in Minnesota who thinks he's at Wrigley Field) threw the home run ball back. Should have been instant forfeit!

The Sox should be embarrassed by their mental errors (as said Steve Stone).

And yeah, Spann did inititially offer at he ball though Blyleven and the other Twins announcer kept saying he never did.

Farmer said that the Kenny will not stand for teh bullpen to pitch like this, that he will go get someone else. Did our bullpen ever hear about changing speeds? Just grip the crap out of the ball and try to throw it harder like in little league.

Am I bitter and frustrated by the Sox? Heck yes.

kitekrazy
07-31-2008, 11:47 PM
I could see this was going to happen. After the 4 run lead our hitters started to look worse. Those swings started to get big.
Hopefully some of the Sox players got a batting clinic out of watching the Twins. Maybe they can figure out how the Twins bat .280 plus with RISP after 2 outs.

Out of the 3 this loss pissed me off the most.

I hope they are as angry as I am and take it out on KC.

Thornton looks like the 2nd coming of McDougal.

Soxman219
Thank God were leaving that hellhole in first. I'm sick and tired of the Sox giving games away to these stupid Twins. Kubel sucks but not against the Sox. Gomez sucks but not against the Sox. Face it they are not that great, it's just that we like to give away games. If we don't step it up, we're going to let them take this division. The Twins will then choke in the playoffs and get eaten alive by the Angels! Next series at that hellhole, we better be like 7 games up on the Twins and just intentionally walk Morneau the whole series.:angry:

LoveYourSuit
We clinched with a Loss.

No. They clinched after an Indian loss earlier that day. The game meant nothing.

We still celebrated there.

I will always remember that.

oeo
Our next to last series is at the dome.

Then we come home to host the Tribe, they host KC to close out the season.

Those 3 games at the Dome could be huge.

They could be, or they could not mean a damn thing. There's a lot of baseball to be played between then and now...let's play good ball now and not worry about it.

ondafarm
This bitching about the Dome nonesense needs to stop.

The Dome played ZERO to the outcome of any of the games in the series.

The Sox are who to blame.

They pissed away a pair for 4-0 leads into the 5th inning. Champioship teams do not do this.

Have you ever tried to bat in that dome?

I took batting practice once there. That is the worst hitting backdrop in major league baseball. The Twins have a huge advantage in the first game of every series.

Apart from that, I agree with you. Blowing two four run leads is not good.

JB98
07-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Nah, Hawk's love for Gomez is WAAAAAAAAY over the top. Without his speed, he's probably hitting .215 right now, which is awful. He's not very good. Maybe he has 'loads of potential' but he's not fulfilling it right now. All I see is probably the fastest guy in the league.

He can't lay off the high fastball. He strikes out a ton. So, what do we do? We throw him low pitches that he can bunt and beat into the turf. Just stupidity by the Sox.

ondafarm
07-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Bad game for Swisher at 1B tonight.

Bad defense is killing the Sox this year.

Was it that bad? I saw him make a couple of really good plays early.

Lip Man 1
Urban:

To get any other relief pitchers they have to be claimed via the waiver route in reverse order. I can't see any decent relief guy making it through eight or nine teams before the Sox get a shot at him.

Lip

kruzer31
No. They clinched after an Indian loss earlier that day. The game meant nothing.

We still celebrated there.

I will always remember that.

Wasnt the same as clinching with a win. Sure they celebrated there. But all I said is we lost that game. Oh well, its 2008, and we need to take this weekend series in KC

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2008, 11:50 PM

I took batting practice once there. That is the worst hitting backdrop in major league baseball. The Twins have a huge advantage in the first game of every series.

The Twins were on a road trip before this series, how is that and advantage against us?

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Wasnt the same as clinching with a win. Sure they celebrated there. But all I said is we lost that game. Oh well, its 2008, and we need to take this weekend series in KC

Agree

oeo
07-31-2008, 11:51 PM
He can't lay off the high fastball. He strikes out a ton. So, what do we do? We throw him low pitches that he can bunt and beat into the turf. Just stupidity by the Sox.

Would this guy be hyped as much as he is if his name was not connected with Johan Santana? I think not.

Brian26
Is anyone else sick of Hawk complaining about umps

This Welke Bros crew is the most anti-White Sox crew I've seen since the Wendelstedt/Froemming debacle in Oakland in 2005. It was subtle all game (and all series), but our pitchers didn't get the same calls as the Twins did.

Logan had a 2-1 pitch over the heart of the plate in the 8th called a ball by Welke, the same exact pitch was a called strike on Thome to end the inning earlier in the game. The umpires were bad both ways, the but the Sox pitchers were squeezed.

ondafarm
The Twins were on a road trip before this series, how is that and advantage against us?

The Twins have played sixty some games at home this year, their hitters are totally accustomed to the backdrop. Besides, they had an off day in Minn right before the series. I'm sure they took BP.

hellview
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Gardy knew what he was doing out there tonight. Coming out and breaking up Danks groove was a great move by Gardy.

Sometimes you gotta tip ur cap...

peeonwrigley
07-31-2008, 11:53 PM
They could be, or they could not mean a damn thing. There's a lot of baseball to be played between then and now...let's play good ball now and not worry about it.

I'd just assume head into that series w/ a magic # of 0.

oeo
Gardy knew what he was doing out there tonight. Coming out and breaking up Danks groove was a great move by Gardy.

It wasn't Gardenhire that stopped play...it was the fans.

DickAllen72
Was it that bad? I saw him make a couple of really good plays early.
Failed to pick two throws late in the game. One by Uribe and one by AJ. Both throws were very "pickable" by any competent first baseman.

hellview
07-31-2008, 11:54 PM

Swisher, Konerko, Thome, Dye, OC, AJ, has been hitting there for years now. I'm pretty sure none of them having a problem hitting there.

Lip Man 1
On a better note the Sox did have their 4th consecutive winning month (13-12).

Lip

oeo
I'd just assume head into that series w/ a magic # of 0.

Let's talk about that series in 6 weeks, not now. I don't give a **** that we have to play in Minnesota at the end of the year...I'll worry about that when the series rolls around.

Mohoney
This Welke Bros crew is the most anti-White Sox crew I've seen since the Wendelstedt/Froemming debacle in Oakland in 2005.

I agree. Letting Gardenbilly argue as long as he did was ridiculous, and caused that mutiny where the Metrodome fans acted like complete turds.

hellview
It wasn't Gardenhire that stopped play...it was the fans.

I guess that wasn't Gardy yelling at the ump for 3 minutes.

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2008, 11:55 PM
The Twins have played sixty some games at home this year, their hitters are totally accustomed to the backdrop. Besides, they had an off day in Minn right before the series. I'm sure they took BP.

Off day on a Sunday right?

OK

oeo

Lip

In what seemed to be a terrible month all around. If that's our bad month, I'll take it.

Frater Perdurabo

Lip

That is pretty good news. Didn't they go two games over each month in April and May, then had a terrific June?

peeonwrigley
I agree. Letting Gardenbilly argue as long as he did was ridiculous, and caused that mutiny where the Metrodome fans acted like complete turds.

Yeah that was awful. Reminded me of that ****ing overplayed commercial w/ Pinella.

turners56
07-31-2008, 11:56 PM

Agreed. Is it cheap? Hell yea. Did it work? Too well...

oeo
07-31-2008, 11:57 PM

If that's all it was, everything probably would have been fine. It took an extra 10 minutes to get things going again, though. That was the problem.

Besides, Gardenhire was just pissed off...there was nothing hidden behind why he came out to argue.

asindc
07-31-2008, 11:57 PM
The sloppy play has persisted for several weeks.
That's all the twins do - they let you beat yourself. They'll gladly take the walks if you're throwing it all over the place, they defend the field. They threw mainly average pitchers at us all week - the Sox got themselves out a lot. Talent wise, they're not that great. But they wait for you to screw up. And we did.

I agree. I touched on this earlier this week. That is why the Twinkees are not a good playoff team. When you play to patiently capitaiize on the other team's mistakes, you will be waiting all winter against playoff-caliber teams. If the Sox win 1 of 3 against them in Sept., they will have split the season series against them. I'm cool with that for two reasons:

1) If they continue to hit .320 with RISP for the rest of the season, they deserve the AL Central crown. Don't think they will, though; and

2) They have a monster road trip coming up late in August. They play LAAAAAA and the A's both 4 times each during the trip. They don't play a home game between Aug. 20 and Sept. 5. If they survive that trip and remain in the race, hats off to them.

turners56
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM

Gardenhire should be suspended for that.

hellview
07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
If that's all it was, everything probably would have been fine. It took an extra 10 minutes to get things going again, though. That was the problem.

Besides, Gardenhire was just pissed off...there was nothing hidden behind why he came out to argue.

Have you watch the Twins/White Sox before? This isn't the first time he's come out and broke up a pitcher that was rolling.

It's a bitch move, but hey it's worked.

oeo
07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Agreed. Is it cheap? Hell yea. Did it work? Too well...

You guys are reading too much into it. Gardenhire was pissed, it had nothing to do with 'getting Danks out of his groove.' Coincidentally, him throwing his hat got all the rest of the morons in that place to start throwing theirs...and that's what caused the problems. Monkey see, monkey do in Minnesota.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Have you watch the Twins/White Sox before? This isn't the first time he's come out and broke up a pitcher that was rolling.

It's a bitch move, but hey it's worked.

No, this was actually the first time. If you say so, I guess you're right.

asindc
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Gardenhire should be suspended for that.

No he shouldn't. It was a typical argument a manager has with an ump. The fans escalated things beyond that.

turners56
08-01-2008, 12:01 AM
You guys are reading too much into it. Gardenhire was pissed, it had nothing to do with 'getting Danks out of his groove.' Coincidentally, him throwing his hat got all the rest of the morons in that place to start throwing theirs...and that's what caused the problems. Monkey see, monkey do in Minnesota.

Inciting the crowd. Suspension time.

sox1970
08-01-2008, 12:02 AM
We got Griffey!

soxfandy
08-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Well looking ahead:

We have a ton of home games and still have to see alot of the red sox and rays. See some of the al west also.

The Twins have a ton of road games including a huge road trip out to the west coast at the end of August. They are done with Boston, but still get a fair share of the yanks and rays.

I hope we stay in this thing for the beginning of August and then really make our move by the time September rolls around. By that time we should be completely healthy also!!!

Lets start with a road sweep of the royals this weekend!!!

RockJock07
We could really use a good Javy outing tomorrow, he's been really bad of late. This was a bad series, but oddly I feel positive that the sox can shake it off and just forget about the dome for awhile. However, the bullpen needs a kick in the ass aswell as the defense, they killed us this series.

turners56
No he shouldn't. It was a typical argument a manager has with an ump. The fans escalated things beyond that.

He threw his hat...and the crowd did what he did. You can get suspended for that.

JB98
08-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Swisher, Konerko, Thome, Dye, OC, AJ, has been hitting there for years now. I'm pretty sure none of them having a problem hitting there.

I think ondafarm was trying to point out that the hitting background there is often an issue the first game of a series for a visiting team. We did, in fact, struggle offensively the first game of this series.

Since, we have scored five runs, eight runs and six runs, respectively, in the last three games. Should have been enough for at least two wins, if not three. Instead, we settle for one because of poor pitching and defense.

Optipessimism
08-01-2008, 12:10 AM
This is ridiculous....

Gardy had nothing to do with outcome. The fans being dumbasses and throwing **** onto the field had nothing to do with the outcome. Danks got out of rhythm? What about Span who had to step back in down 1-2? Come on.

We lost this game because right now our bullpen ****ing blows. We traded Masset and it still sucks. Guess there's more housecleaning in order.

And Swisher's non-picks at 1B didn't help either. Yeah they were tough plays, but he's a Major Leaguer. If he can't hit the ball he better be able to play some defense.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:11 AM
He threw his hat...and the crowd did what he did. You can get suspended for that.

I don't think that was Gardenhire's intent. Just a bunch of morons.

Who throws away their hat, anyway? Go get 'em Twins fans!

arKnaD7
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
What's up everyone? Long time, first time.

Hopefully the bullpen can start performing again.

On to KC....

Optipessimism
08-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Who throws away their hat, anyway?
Exactly. The fans were idiots. Gardy had every right to argue, throw his hat, whatever. Trying to pin anything on Gardy is pointless. He's not in our bullpen.

Oblong
08-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Take heart that the Tigers only split with Cleveland the last 4 games. Now they have 6 games against the Rays and your Sox on the road. A good run by the Sox could really put the Tigers away in the next week. As a Tiger fan I have a bad feeling about the 6 games.

I long for the days when playing the Rays was like playing the NL.

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Tonight sucked. We miss Linebrink. And I want Morneau's head on a plate.

peeonwrigley
08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Tonight sucked. We miss Linebrink. And I want Morneau's head on a plate.

I want Morneau hitting 4th and playing 1B for the Sox.

kitekrazy
08-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Did our bullpen ever hear about changing speeds? Just grip the crap out of the ball and try to throw it harder like in little league.

That was the philosophy last year or the year before. That's why they got McDougal.

This is also a situation where Coop and AJ needs to take over.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:18 AM
That was the philosophy last year or the year before. That's why they got McDougal.

MacDougal is probably the worst of many examples (Thornton, Sisco, Masset, Aardsma) that you could come up with. Everything that guy throws, moves. He's not just a straight fastball blazer. He just can't throw strikes.

Frankfan4life
08-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I feel as crappy as anyone of you about this series. Hoping for a split was not asking for too much. However, our relief pitchers and starters have kept us in first place for over 100 days. So, obviously, we have the tools to compete. Even though we haven't been playing our best baseball lately, the Twins haven't been able to put us in the rear view mirror yet.

With the exception of the White Sox and the Angels, every team who was leading their division coming into the month of July has either at one point lost the lead this month or have been tied for the lead. Things are actually not as bad as they seem.

JGarlandrules20

Who throws away their hat, anyway? Go get 'em Twins fans!

Hockey fans? But that's for a good reason. :tongue:

Tough loss, but we need to regroup and hopefully KC 'Chicken Soup' will help us get back to playing better baseball. Although, they did just sweep the A's...

kitekrazy

So true. It's also a depressing looking environment.
Plus the Sox don't have a good record on turf.

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I want Morneau hitting 4th and playing 1B for the Sox.
I don't see how that would be possible after I have his head...

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:20 AM

I think it's a situation where Ozzie is lost on roles right now. It's been this way since Jenks hit the DL. Now with Line on the DL, things haven't gotten better.

One thing he does need to realize, and quick, is that Logan and Thornton are not getting the job done. I don't care what Thornton's numbers look like, he's complete crap right now. He comes in and can't throw strikes, and that's playing with fire, especially against guys like Mauer and Morneau. Logan is just getting lit up like a Christmas tree every time out. And I know I keep saying this, but where the hell was DJ Carrasco? He was warming in the 7th, but never came in. Bad move when he's been our only consistent reliever.

Maybe keeping Wise isn't the best idea after all. Maybe a guy like Jon Link can help solidify the bullpen again.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Horse****,i'm still pissed.We ****ed up here fellas.A lousy
half-game up and it should have been 4+...Logan get on
the other plane yet ?

SoxSpeed22
08-01-2008, 12:22 AM
It took a hissy fit from the Drama Queen himself and a hissy fit from the fans to win this game and the Sox relievers couldn't stop the floodgates. Danks made one mistake the whole game and the bullpen did worse. The worst thing that the Sox can do is let this get to their heads for the next month. At least we leave that hellhole for now.

cleanwsox
08-01-2008, 12:23 AM
The Twins led the league in hitting in July and we are still in first. I doubt they repeat that in August and we saw in the last three games that their pitching is nothing to be that scared of.

Hang in there, just would like to see improvement with the bullpen.

Optipessimism
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
I think it's a situation where Ozzie is lost on roles right now. It's been this way since Jenks hit the DL. Now with Line on the DL, things haven't gotten better.

One thing he does need to realize, and quick, is that Logan and Thornton are not getting the job done. I don't care what Thornton's numbers look like, he's complete crap right now. He comes in and can't throw strikes, and that's playing with fire, especially against guys like Mauer and Morneau.

Maybe keeping Wise isn't the best idea after all. Maybe a guy like Jon Link can help solidify the bullpen again.
I hope so.

His numbers for Birmingham this year:

5-1, 1.69 ERA, 28 Saves, 42.2 IP, 31 H, 8 R, 0 HR, 16 BB, 43 K

6.54 H/9, 0 HR/9, 3.37 BB/9, 9.07 K/9, WHIP 1.10

We need some help and I don't want to see Russell again in another meaningful game situation.

Frankie5Angels
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
What's up everyone? Long time, first time.

Hopefully the bullpen can start performing again.

On to KC....
Welcome aboard

Elephant
08-01-2008, 12:28 AM

Way to interject personal baseball experience as if it any relevance. Furthermore, how does a vertical, navy blue mat with no sunlight create a bad backdrop? Logically, the Cell's is worse--differing tiers and angles and ivy in some parts.

Ted Williams et al hit often without any kind of batter's eye. Their backdrop was a bunch of flesh and white shirts. Try hitting like that. They seemed to do alright.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:28 AM
The Twins led the league in hitting in July and we are still in first. I doubt they repeat that in August and we saw in the last three games that their pitching is nothing to be that scared of.

Hang in there, just would like to see improvement with the bullpen.

We just had what seemed to be an awful month, and went 13-12. Not great, but not as bad as it seemed. The Twins are playing great ball right now and especially step it up against us.

All year, it's been about how this team bounces back after tough losses/series. They've done a pretty good job of it so far, so I'll be expecting the same again.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2008, 12:31 AM
He can't lay off the high fastball. He strikes out a ton. So, what do we do? We throw him low pitches that he can bunt and beat into the turf. Just stupidity by the Sox.Absolutely. The pitching was horrible this series except for Floyd. I don't know if it was just that every pitcher was missing terribly, or the pitch calling was atrocious. Kubel is garbage, Span is garbage, Punto is garbage, and Gomez sucks right now. Allowing pieces of crap like that to own you is ridiculous.

However, the worst of all is how they pitched to Mauer and Morneau. It is a joke. Stone was just saying before Morneau's homer "You can pitch him in, but it has to be high. You can't throw it low and in." The next pitch was low and in and he hit it out. Why does Steve ****ing Stone understand that and the Sox don't? There is no excuse for that. If they can't get either of those ****ers out, they need to either intentionally walk them, or throw a pitch behind their heads and let them take their base.

The Sox didn' humiliate themselves and roll over like the Brewers did, but this was a terrible series for the Sox. Game one had a horrible start by Buehrle, horrible BP work, and vintage "I dont want to be here so I am gonna swing really hard and then go sit down" Walkerball. The offense got an early lead Tuesday and today, and decided the games were over. Thornton gave up what ended up being the deciding run for the hell of it on Tuesday, and today the Bullpen hit a new low. The Sox should have won a minimum of three games this series.

Vienna
08-01-2008, 12:35 AM
The game stunk. Danks looked good for a while. Bullpen and poor defense in the end hurt. The damn Twins fans. I almost got hit with a hat and a ball. Plus, nothing about my Sox jersey until Kubel went deep. Rat bastards.

Regroup. On to KC. July's over and we're still in first. It just hurts every time against the Twinks because they're an over achieving Triple-A team.

Plus, maybe Jr. can pitch out of the pen -- his arm should be fresh.

Jerko
08-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Until the BP is back healthy, we can't, IMO;

do the LRLRLRLR stuff for goofs like Young.

Bring someone in to face just one batter. (which I'm sure was the plan for Dotel IF he got Young out)

Pull someone after they get someone out.

Too many bad pitchers out there to be yanking guys if they're not getting hammered. I know he ****ed up to Mauer, but Thornton got 2 guys out, the last of whom is the greatest hitter ever; Wasserman got a guy out and another guy got on because of an error, they both get yanked and both guys that came in for them got hammered. I know in a perfect world we can do LRLRLRLRLRLRLR till the cows come home, but we're too short-handed for this garbage now. We're not gonna beat anyone playing musical pitchers. Gotta change on the fly here Oz and manage a little differently for a while IMO.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2008, 12:37 AM
No he shouldn't. It was a typical argument a manager has with an ump. The fans escalated things beyond that.No, he should, and probably will. He got tossed, and then stayed out arguing with the umpires for something like five minutes. THAT is inciting the fans. You can argue and get tossed, but after you say your peace, you have to get back to the clubhouse, not stick around for 5 min.

Tragg
I hope so.

We need some help and I don't want to see Russell again in another meaningful game situation.
did they call him up? Or is that just suggestion/hope.

Bullpens are hard to keep consistent. Good pitchers become starters or they become closers. Some middle relievers last a long time in baseball, but they'e still inconsistent as hell. One thing some teams do (not the Sox too often) is use their young pitchers in the pen, as prep to become starters. (Astros do it; Twins do it). We need Richard in the rotation now, but if he leaves the rotation he should go to the pen - he's better than any lefty we have in there right now. If Broadway's reasonably ready, call him up and let him do some pen work for us. If they can do it, why not? The Russells, the Wassermans....these guys aren't the organization's best arms.

kitekrazy
I hope so.

Those are some very impressive numbers.

It's Time
The Sox didn' humiliate themselves and roll over like the Brewers did.

The Brewers? I don't understand. What do they have to do with this?

TheOldRoman
08-01-2008, 12:41 AM
The Brewers? I don't understand. What do they have to do with this?Just the fact that they had a big 2nd and 1st place four game showdown going on at the same time.

oeo
08-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Just the fact that they had a big 2nd and 1st place four game showdown going on at the same time.

And got completely shellacked in their own house.

We may have looked bad, but at least ours wasn't at the Cell. And at least we didn't let the Twins blow us out 4 times. Should have won 3/4, actually.

kitekrazy
08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Way to interject personal baseball experience as if it any relevance. Furthermore, how does a vertical, navy blue mat with no sunlight create a bad backdrop? Logically, the Cell's is worse--differing tiers and angles and ivy in some parts.

Ted Williams et al hit often without any kind of batter's eye. Their backdrop was a bunch of flesh and white shirts. Try hitting like that. They seemed to do alright.

Look at the stats. Steve Stone confirms that same thing.

Ted Williams.....he could probably hit blindfolded.

kitekrazy
08-01-2008, 12:46 AM
And got completely shellacked in their own house.

We may have looked bad, but at least ours wasn't at the Cell. And at least we didn't let the Twins blow us out 4 times. Should have won 3/4, actually.`

I wasn't surprised the Sox only got one out of this. Two would have been impressive.

Rockabilly
08-01-2008, 12:53 AM
The twins suck and so do their fans

Mohoney
08-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Gotta change on the fly here Oz and manage a little differently for a while IMO.

Great post. Some of these guys are going to have to be allowed to try and finish innings, matchups be damned. A weekend series against the Royals is the perfect opportunity to test this out.

So far, we have been able to withstand a DL stint from Jenks AND an extended absence from Linebrink, but if this stubborn refusal to deviate from the lefty-lefty matchups doesn't get shelved for a while, this bullpen will accumulate way too many individual appearances.

With Masset gone, Carrasco is the long man. I would say that Dotel should fill Linebrink's role in the 8th when we're ahead. I think that Thornton can rebound if he gets a DEFINED role in the 7th when we're ahead, as long as he STARTS the inning and is not coming in with runners on base. Bullpen work when we're behind or Carrasco has already pitched in long relief can be assigned according to matchups between Wasserman and Logan.

In any case, the 1 out specialization stuff can't really be done with Linebrink out, and Ozzie needs to realize that.

Foulke You
08-01-2008, 02:26 AM
However, the worst of all is how they pitched to Mauer and Morneau. It is a joke. Stone was just saying before Morneau's homer "You can pitch him in, but it has to be high. You can't throw it low and in." The next pitch was low and in and he hit it out. Why does Steve ****ing Stone understand that and the Sox don't? There is no excuse for that. If they can't get either of those ****ers out, they need to either intentionally walk them, or throw a pitch behind their heads and let them take their base.
Good post. I think the way we pitched to Morneau had to be the most ridiculous thing in this whole series. Morneau stands a mile from home plate so that he can crush those inside corner fastballs that are waist to knee high. In game 1, AJ set up outside and Buehrle missed his spot inside and Morneau crushes it for a 2 run HR. Ok, mistake pitch. Lesson learned that Morneau loves inside pitches right? Wrong. In game 2, AJ sets up inexplicably inside and Richard hangs a changeup waist high for him to crush again for a bases clearing double. You'd think we'd have learned our lesson by now? NOPE. AJ sets up inside again tonight for Danks to deliver the inside corner fastball for Morneau to crush yet AGAIN! I was absolutely speechless after that HR. That 3 run HR was the turning point in the game. We had complete control of the game with a 4-0 lead and that HR brought the Twins right back into the game. Also, can someone explain to me how we continue to pitch to Morneau when Delmon Young who did basically squat against us the whole series was batting behind him?:?:

Jerko
08-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Good post. I think the way we pitched to Morneau had to be the most ridiculous thing in this whole series. Morneau stands a mile from home plate so that he can crush those inside corner fastballs that are waist to knee high. In game 1, AJ set up outside and Buehrle missed his spot inside and Morneau crushes it for a 2 run HR. Ok, mistake pitch. Lesson learned that Morneau loves inside pitches right? Wrong. In game 2, AJ sets up inexplicably inside and Richard hangs a changeup waist high for him to crush again for a bases clearing double. You'd think we'd have learned our lesson by now? NOPE. AJ sets up inside again tonight for Danks to deliver the inside corner fastball for Morneau to crush yet AGAIN! I was absolutely speechless after that HR. That 3 run HR was the turning point in the game. We had complete control of the game with a 4-0 lead and that HR brought the Twins right back into the game. Also, can someone explain to me how we continue to pitch to Morneau when Delmon Young who did basically squat against us the whole series was batting behind him?:?:

I agree. We play the Twins enough times; we should know by now how to pitch to those guys.

palehozenychicty
08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
When Morneau hit the homer, the game basically was done. Dye made it interesting in the top of the 8th, but nevertheless. I'm just tired of everyone giving the Twins so much credit. They are not that good. How we are intimidated by them and the dump dome is unreal.

ondafarm
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM

The navy blue mat is not the hitters eye at the Metrodome.

I'm curious as to what you consider "logical". I have never taken batting practice at the Cell, so I can't directly compare, but no it's not logical. Ted Williams home park, Fenway, had a very respectable hitters eye, he did half of his hitting there.

ondafarm
08-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Look at the stats. Steve Stone confirms that same thing.

Ted Williams.....he could probably hit blindfolded.

Did watch him take BP once. Didn't see him try it blindfolded.

TwinKess
08-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Fun game to watch, but there is never an excuse to throw things on the field. Glad we were able to take this series from you guys, its big for us.

Sounds like we're going to place Livan Hernandez on the waiver wire and/or DFA his ***, and bring up Liriano within the next few days. Should make that second-to-last series of the year that much more meaningfull.

They are horrible away from the baggie dome.

Wrong: Road Wins/Losses/Pct
Sox: 25/31/.44%
Twins: 23/28/.45%

hawkjt
08-01-2008, 10:03 AM
The sox should have set the tone with Morneau in his first at bat. Throw inside...I mean really inside...not inside strikes..inside off the plate and if he gets hit...so be it. Keep pumping those pitches inside off the plate and if you walk him,fine. Occasionaly dot the outside corner but do not throw strikes consistently against the man. Take the medicine if it means putting him on.
Hit him unintentionally if it comes to that. The pitcher has the right to throw inside off the plate and they have to do it.

Last nite's turning point...AJ's sloppy,inexcusable mental base-running error after he drives in the 3rd and 4th run. If he is not being careless, we have him on first,nobody out and a new rally starts. That carelessness spills over to the rest of the game. Why AJ? Why?

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Love the title of this thread...haha!

Our bullpen is starting to look like a sick sick dog that should've been put down many years ago...we are totally screwed if we keep showing up like this....

Terrible baserunning by AJ and Wise didnt help either...thats at LEAST one more run and we screwed ourselves....

If we do not sweep KC Ill be pretty suprised....

Adele_H
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Word.

Psychologically outplayed and outmanaged big-time.

Power-swinging w. RISP; awful defense, baserunning and pitching with multiple RO. By a talent-depleted team.

****:angry:

Adele_H
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Absolutely. The pitching was horrible this series except for Floyd. I don't know if it was just that every pitcher was missing terribly, or the pitch calling was atrocious. Kubel is garbage, Span is garbage, Punto is garbage, and Gomez sucks right now. Allowing pieces of crap like that to own you is ridiculous.

The Sox didn' humiliate themselves and roll over like the Brewers did, but this was a terrible series for the Sox. Game one had a horrible start by Buehrle, horrible BP work, and vintage "I dont want to be here so I am gonna swing really hard and then go sit down" Walkerball. The offense got an early lead Tuesday and today, and decided the games were over. Thornton gave up what ended up being the deciding run for the hell of it on Tuesday, and today the Bullpen hit a new low. The Sox should have won a minimum of three games this series.

Don't forget not pulling Danks after 6th and letting Thornton/Dotel start the slotted 7th and 8th respectively. Ozzie simpy doesn't learn.

Adele_H
08-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Pitch selection in criotical situations was as bad as the execution of said pitches.

It didn't help that pretty much the only Sox pitcher to bring his (quality) breaking ball all series long was Gavin Floyd. No wonder they couldn't close the deal in 2-out, 2-strike situations with multiple baserunners on for the Twins! Baseball 101.

And how does Justin Morneau not wear an imbedded fastball for an earring by now?

Brian26
08-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Did watch him take BP once. Didn't see him try it blindfolded.

Before an old-timers exhibition game? Or on video?

hawkjt
08-01-2008, 01:42 PM
At the end of the game they showed ozzie in the dugout with a golf ball in his hand..was that thrown on the field at the sox players?
Maybe not, who the hell goes to a baseball game with a golf ball in their pocket?

IronFisk
08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Rough one to stomach - we "should" have taken 3 games with 4 run leads in two of them. Ozzie can only manage so much - these pitchers are going to be the death of us if they don't figure it out soon.