PDA

View Full Version : Nick Punto

AnkleSox
07-31-2008, 10:26 PM
How would he be earning a paycheck if it weren't for the White Sox?

spiffie
07-31-2008, 10:45 PM
I would assume that the nearly .290 he's hitting this year would be impressive even if the Sox didn't exist.

DumpJerry
07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Punto? How about Kubel? The White Sox are the official Kubel Guaranteed Employment Team.

If it weren't for the White Sox, Kubel would be playing in the beer softball leagues he belongs in.

cleanwsox
07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Punto? How about Kubel? The White Sox are the official Kubel Guaranteed Employment Team.

If it weren't for the White Sox, Kubel would be playing in the beer softball leagues he belongs in.

No kidding, Kubel sucks but hits big Hr after big Hr against the Sox.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7425/splits;_ylt=Ah6PhTO55ctIGa3.L.tzrbKFCLcF?year=care er&type=Batting

Make that 11 HR's and 38 RBI's against the Sox

For a guy with a total of 37 career Hr's

Ugh, :angry:

oeo
07-31-2008, 11:14 PM
He definitely wouldn't be able to work at Chick-fil-A, because he's a dick.

BleacherBandit
07-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Doesn't Punto mean 'Bitch' in Spanish?

ChiSoxGirl
07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
No kidding, Kubel sucks but hits big Hr after big Hr against the Sox.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7425/splits;_ylt=Ah6PhTO55ctIGa3.L.tzrbKFCLcF?year=care er&type=Batting

Make that 11 HR's and 38 RBI's against the Sox

For a guy with a total of 37 career Hr's

Ugh, :angry:

:o: :thud:

kjhanson
07-31-2008, 11:33 PM
I hate that whole piece of **** franchise. (There's a reason I don't post after losses) I'm getting tired of seeing Swisher bitch about pitches, but he gets a pass since he's in a Sox uniform. Punto, however, bitches in a Twins uniform, and he does it at pitches that are usually pretty quality. Anyways,

Coming into tonight he was hitting .159 (7/44) against teams not in the Central. And he was hitting .348 (31/89) against the division.

tstrike2000
07-31-2008, 11:42 PM
I said selling Amway because he just comes across like a B.S. artist.

SoxGirl4Life
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
I was hoping death was an option! :redface:

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2008, 08:07 AM
If Crede leaves, I'd consider signing Punto as a free agent. Not committed. But consider upon contemplation of more information...

He hits well against CLE, DET and KC. He also knows how to hit in that dome. He also would not be able to hit against our pitchers. Not much power, but decent average. Can do all the little things and execute the fundamentals.

I don't know enough about his defense. I can look at his career defensive stats at 3B and see that he's very close to Joe Crede in range factor (2.74 Punto, 2.75 Crede, 2.81 Fields) and zone rating (.787 Punto, .786 Crede, .721 for Fields) and fielding percentage (.969 Punto, .963 Crede, .956 Fields). But I know that defensive stats can't tell us much and that Punto plays many more games on turf than Crede. I've seen Crede make countless diving stops and he also has a great arm. I've not seen Punto play much, except hit against the Sox.

I'm not interested in snarky, sarcastic comments from those who just want to spew venomous insults. I'm interested in information. So these questions are for those who watch the Twins a lot, and for people with advanced baseball knowledge like Daver and ondafarm:

1. How is Punto defensively at third base?

2. Would he be a better overall option than Fields at third base in 2009?

The Immigrant
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM
If Crede leaves, I'd consider signing Punto as a free agent. Not committed.

You should be committed for even suggesting this.

Twins Win
08-01-2008, 09:00 AM
If Crede leaves, I'd consider signing Punto as a free agent. Not committed.

As a Twins fan I can not stand Punto. He is a great defensive player but you guys can have him for all I care. For some reason the Twins have always had a woody for players like Punto. If they can play great defense and can play a couple infield spots, there's always a roster spot for them on the Twins. It's the most frustrating thing I have with the Twins.

EMel9281
08-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Where's the guy that wanted to trade Contreras for Punto last year? What a joke...

turners56
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Doesn't Punto mean 'Bitch' in Spanish?

Get rid of the "n" and you have your word.

ma-gaga
08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
1. How is Punto defensively at third base?

2. Would he be a better overall option than Fields at third base in 2009?

1. Punto is an excellent defender. He doesn't take his offensive struggles into the field with him, and I can't recall him making a defensive mistake. He gets to a ton of balls, has great hands and a strong (infield) arm.

2. It's all about balancing offense and defense. Right now Punto is succeeding offensively (0.292/0.344/0.409) in a part time role. I think if he had the full time gig, he'd be exposed (and we'll find out now with Casilla out indefinitely). He's a nice guy to have in the utility role, but he's a bit stretched in a full time job. I don't know Fields, so I can't really compare the two defensively. Looking at their minor (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/josh-fields-1.shtml) league (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/Nick-Punto.shtml) offensive stats, Fields >> Punto. I would guess that Fields is a better long-term answer than Punto.

But as a Twins fan, I implore Kenny to please sign Nick Punto to a 2 year - $14mm deal to play 3rd base until Fields is "ready". :cool:

SoxGirl4Life
08-01-2008, 09:47 AM
But as a Twins fan, I implore Kenny to please sign Nick Punto to a 2 year - $14mm deal to play 3rd base until Fields is "ready". :cool:

How bout we just pay him to go away? And take Kuble with him? Kinda like we're paying MacDougal to stay way away.

PaleHoser
08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd like to petition Bud Selig to reconsider the decision to NOT contract the Twins.

BleacherBandit
08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Get rid of the "n" and you have your word.
Dang. :D:

turners56
08-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I'd like to petition Bud Selig to reconsider the decision to NOT contract the Twins.

That would be one of the best days ever for White Sox fans.

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2008, 04:03 PM
1. Punto is an excellent defender. He doesn't take his offensive struggles into the field with him, and I can't recall him making a defensive mistake. He gets to a ton of balls, has great hands and a strong (infield) arm.

2. It's all about balancing offense and defense. Right now Punto is succeeding offensively (0.292/0.344/0.409) in a part time role. I think if he had the full time gig, he'd be exposed (and we'll find out now with Casilla out indefinitely). He's a nice guy to have in the utility role, but he's a bit stretched in a full time job. I don't know Fields, so I can't really compare the two defensively. Looking at their minor (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/josh-fields-1.shtml) league (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/Nick-Punto.shtml) offensive stats, Fields >> Punto. I would guess that Fields is a better long-term answer than Punto.

Thank you for this great info. Based on your assessment, if Crede leaves (or even if he stays), I'd be in favor of signing Punto as a utility guy.

Jimmy Piersall
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you for this great info. Based on your assessment, if Crede leaves (or even if he stays), I'd be in favor of signing Punto as a utility guy.

Count me in on that.If Uribe leaves there is a spot for a guy who can
play a couple infield positions.He could fill that role and be a total
******** for us,and as you know,we need more of those guys.
Unless the braintrust thinks Getz is this guy,let's get this *******
Punto.Hey,we took a liking to AJ pretty quick didn't we ?

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
The final option on this poll should be "I wouldn't even pay Punto in churros."

chisoxmike
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
**** Punto. He's a glorified AAA player because he wears a Twins uniform. On any other team... or a team that doesn't play on turf, he sucks. The Sox have a knack for making hack ballplayers and pitchers look MUCH better than they actually are.