PDA

View Full Version : Crede Begins Rehab Stint

gobears1987
07-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Per Chuck Garfein on CSN.

He said that Crede should play 3 games at Charlotte and rejoin the club for the home stand.

Rocky Soprano
07-31-2008, 06:38 PM
So do they send Fields down right away after Crede is back?

KyWhiSoxFan
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
So do they send Fields down right away after Crede is back?

Yes. When they activate Contreras, they will need that spot so they can have 12 pitchers. They are one short with Masset's departure right now.

Tragg
07-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Kind of strange having a rehab assignment when you've only been gone a week or so

How about leaving Fields up and sending Wise down. He's hit decently.

gogosox16
07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Kind of strange having a rehab assignment when you've only been gone a week or so

Agree.. We dont need both Anderson and Wise now with Griffey here

btrain929
07-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Agree.. We dont need both Anderson and Wise now with Griffey here

+1. Fields can spell Crede a few days off a week at 3b against lefties who Crede is terrible against. Also as a pinch hitter late in games.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM

I agree that Wise's time will be limited, with Griffey taking some turns in CF.

But if Crede is healthy (a big if), Fields does not figure to play much, maybe once a week. Uribe is around for that duty. Wise does not figure to play much either, though I think Wise is a little more versatile and can pinch run.

I wonder when BA will ever play.

07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
i can't wait to see crede back on the field...wise should be sent down

RowanDye
07-31-2008, 08:07 PM
I agree that Wise's time will be limited, with Griffey taking some turns in CF.

But if Crede is healthy (a big if), Fields does not figure to play much, maybe once a week. Uribe is around for that duty. Wise does not figure to play much either, though I think Wise is a little more versatile and can pinch run.

I wonder when BA will ever play.

Wouldn't Anderson still be the preferred defensive option in CF? I don't see how his time will really be reduced that much. He will just very rarely get to start, and justifiably so.

Tragg
07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't Anderson still be the preferred defensive option in CF? I don't see how his time will really be reduced that much. He will just very rarely get to start, and justifiably so. Anderson's last 6 starts have been productive offensively
As a defensive option, Anderson is obviously the choice (he's a good defender and Wise is not); but somehow Ozzie sees he and Wise as equals in the backup centerfield rotation (tonight is a perfect example - ozzie's starting Wise). The only thing Wise can do is run. Fields at least brings a power bat to the backup role. Dump Wise.

BRDSR
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
i can't wait to see crede back on the field.

Really? I have mixed feelings about it at best.

Daver
07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Really? I have mixed feelings about it at best.

Based on what?

BRDSR
07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Based on what?

His performance since about June 17 when he was batting .284. In about a month his average dropped to .255 and he seems to commit an error every third time the ball comes his way.

Do you think his back problem has resolved itself in the last week and a half?

Daver
07-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Do you think his back problem has resolved itself in the last week and a half?

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I know Josh Fields is not the answer. I also know that Crede has saved more runs defensively than he has allowed, if I cared I would look at how many games the Sox have lost when he has an error, I doubt the number is all that high.

JB98
07-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Fields has looked terrible. Get well soon, Crede.

DickAllen72
07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Fields has looked terrible. Get well soon, Crede.
Ditto.

I would start Uribe at third until Crede comes back.

BRDSR
08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I know Josh Fields is not the answer. I also know that Crede has saved more runs defensively than he has allowed, if I cared I would look at how many games the Sox have lost when he has an error, I doubt the number is all that high.

I really wish Sox fans would stop blowing sunshine out their asses over Crede's defense this year. At the absolute best, giving him all the benefit of the doubt, he's been average in the field. He has not been a "Gold Glove caliber" third baseman this year.

Based on his experience, I have little doubt that between Fields, Uribe, and Crede, Crede is the best choice. But that doesn't mean I "can't wait" to see him back in the field. I think the upgrade will be minimal/negligible.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Crede has killed the Twins this year. His absence definitely hurt the team the last four games.

white sox bill
08-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Oz seems to like Wise who reminds me a little of Harris from a few yrs back

October26
08-01-2008, 09:52 AM

My teenage daugther told me the same thing last night. She yelled out - "Mom - Wise looks just like Willie Harris." I said to her that I hope Wise can be what Willie Harris was for the 2005 Sox team. I like the speed the Wise has; just wish Ozzie and the Sox could use it more effectively.

Regarding Crede - can't wait to get him back. Josh Fields is not impressing me right now ...

turners56
08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
My teenage daugther told me the same thing last night. She yelled out - "Mom - Wise looks just like Willie Harris." I said to her that I hope Wise can be what Willie Harris was for the 2005 Sox team. I like the speed the Wise has; just wish Ozzie and the Sox could use it more effectively.

Regarding Crede - can't wait to get him back. Josh Fields is not impressing me right now ...

Maybe the Sox shouldn't of gotten rid of him. Willie's having a nice year in Washington. He's got like 9 home runs. Who would of thunk it?

Harris' role in that 05 post season was instrumental. If it wasn't for his lead off single off of Lidge, JD doesn't get to drive in that run.

Iwritecode
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM

That last time I checked it was 4.

btrain929
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM

I wonder if he liked him getting caught in that dumb baserunning move of his when he tried to go to 3rd base on a ball hit right at the pitcher....

sox1970
08-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Crede is batting 4th for Charlotte. They're playing Louisville--Richar is their 2B; Mackowiak is their RF. :shrug:

sox1970
08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Crede came out after 3 ABs, 0-3.

Flyout to CF
Strikeout
Popup to SS

Oh...and he made an error.

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Crede came out after 3 ABs, 0-3.

Flyout to CF
Strikeout
Popup to SS

Oh...and he made an error.

Back to midseason form already. :D:

Tragg
08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
The fair comparison is runs saved v. runs allowed via error. (Or games saved v. games lost via error)...just a consistent comparison.
You may be right, but Crede's error rate is double his previous high. He's obviously the best defender we have out there....is the error rate just coincidence or is he declining?
Any chance that the Sox teach Fields to play first?

JB98
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Wise is more useful than Fields because he can steal a base. Not to mention, he's a left-handed stick and he makes contact. He's more useful than Fields as both a pinch-runner and a pinch-hitter.

Daver
08-01-2008, 11:09 PM
The fair comparison is runs saved v. runs allowed via error. (Or games saved v. games lost via error)...just a consistent comparison.
You may be right, but Crede's error rate is double his previous high. He's obviously the best defender we have out there....is the error rate just coincidence or is he declining?

Players can and do have bad defensive years, ask Griffey Jr. about it, his bad ones are season ending.

Nick Swisher and Paul Konerko are both under contract for at least three more years, what sense does it make to convert Fields to first? If they choose to let Crede walk then I'm sure they will live with sub par defense at third, this organization does not have a high regard for defense.

Tragg
08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Nick Swisher and Paul Konerko are both under contract for at least three more years, what sense does it make to convert Fields to first?
To find a position that he can play respectably well. Then trade one or more of the 3.
Nick Swisher's O is below par for 1B. With Konerko slumping so badly, he's obviously our best choice this year. But 1B usually are major run producers (I know there are some exceptionos - on teams loaded elsewhere).

Noneck
08-02-2008, 01:16 AM
this organization does not have a high regard for defense.
This may be off the subject but Is there anyone in the Sox minor League system that is defensively proficient and has a chance to make the major league club?

BleacherBandit
08-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Know anything about Luke Getz?

He sounds like the second baseman next year in place of Alexei, who i've heard will move to SS.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Know anything about Luke Getz?

He sounds like the second baseman next year in place of Alexei, who i've heard will move to SS.

Do you mean Chris Getz? :scratch:

I'd bet he's our backup IF next season; or Bourgeois.

BleacherBandit
08-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Do you mean Chris Getz? :scratch:

Haha, I made that mistake recently. I know somebody closely who's name is Luke Getz...He's not a baseball player though...

whitesox901
08-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Im glad Crede is on his way back, I would love to see Josh apart of this team someday, maybe DH in 09 if Griffey, Konerko or Thome arnt brought back

sox1970
08-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Crede isn't playing tonight. That can't be a good thing.

Daver
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
This may be off the subject but Is there anyone in the Sox minor League system that is defensively proficient and has a chance to make the major league club?

Good question, I only see tape from Birmingham and Charlotte, those guys got there by hitting, not fielding. Most of the slick fielders that get to Birmingham get sent back down when they struggle at the plate against better pitching.

It's Dankerific
08-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Good question, I only see tape from Birmingham and Charlotte, those guys got there by hitting, not fielding. Most of the slick fielders that get to Birmingham get sent back down when they struggle at the plate against better pitching.

Sounds alot like the MLB club....

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Ozzie has said he hopes to have only 11 pitchers on the team until the rosters expand Sep 1. I think that means both Wise (who is out of options) and Anderson stay with the big team.

Noneck
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM

I totally agree with you on defense and was hoping there was someone on their way to provide that with the Sox. Maybe its just a different mind set here now but I remember Ken Berry who played for over a decade, hit over 10 HRS only 1 year (12), had 50 RBIs only one year (50), had a career BA of .255 but was one of the most valuable players on the team.

Railsplitter
08-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Now, if Crede had this stint in Clearwater, Florida, would it be called Crede's Clearwater Revival?

Lip Man 1
08-02-2008, 10:06 PM
:D:

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Lip

DickAllen72
08-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Crede isn't playing tonight. That can't be a good thing.
Anyone have an update on Crede?

TDog
08-03-2008, 01:47 AM
I totally agree with you on defense and was hoping there was someone on their way to provide that with the Sox. Maybe its just a different mind set here now but I remember Ken Berry who played for over a decade, hit over 10 HRS only 1 year (12), had 50 RBIs only one year (50), had a career BA of .255 but was one of the most valuable players on the team.

Ken Berry hit .218 while playing 157 games in 1965. One might wonder if Brian Anderson could hit better, but comparisons are unrealistic.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Ken Berry hit .218 while playing 157 games in 1965. One might wonder if Brian Anderson could hit better, but comparisons are unrealistic.And you have to put it in the context of the time. Nobody on the '65 Sox hit .300.

IlliniSox4Life
08-03-2008, 02:47 AM

For a 3B, Fields has a very good bat. However, for a 1B, his bat isn't anything special (IMO). I'd want either more power than Fields has or a higher avg/obp than he has for a 1B that isn't that great defensively. I view Fields as a 30 HR guy which is great for a 3B. If he can become a 40+ HR guy though, by all means move him to 1B.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2008, 03:00 AM
I view Fields as a 30 HR guy which is great for a 3B. But he needs to be able to field the position.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Anyone have an update on Crede?

"... Crede was scratched from Triple-A Charlotte's lineup Saturday night.

Crede, on a minor league rehabilitation assignment, felt twinges in his back during pre-game warmups, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Crede is expected to return to the Knights' lineup Sunday night, with Jose Contreras scheduled to pitch in a rehab assignment."

thomas35forever
08-03-2008, 01:17 PM
"... Crede was scratched from Triple-A Charlotte's lineup Saturday night.

Crede, on a minor league rehabilitation assignment, felt twinges in his back during pre-game warmups, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Crede is expected to return to the Knights' lineup Sunday night, with Jose Contreras scheduled to pitch in a rehab assignment."
Just saw this on Comcast SportsNet. Hope this is nothing more than a minor setback.

MetroPD
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Back injuries are funny things. One thing for certain is that they never seem to heal completely.

Sockinchisox
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Crede not playing again.

sox1970
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Crede not playing again.

He's dead to me. He and Boras can shack up in LA next year.

Hitmen77
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
The latest on Crede's setback:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080803-joe-crede-back-white-sox-chicago,1,617265.story

aryzner
08-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Fantastic news!

PorkChopExpress
08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I thought KW said he didn't even need to go on the DL, they were just being careful, and now he can't come off of it. He can't even play in a rehab stint.

eriqjaffe
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I thought KW said he didn't even need to go on the DL, they were just being careful, and now he can't come off of it. He can't even play in a rehab stint.Crede's back is the Sox' analogy to Prior's arm.

whitesox901
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
So when is he expected back now?

doublem23
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
So when is he expected back now?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1093015,CST-SPT-soxnt06.article

eriqjaffe
08-07-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1093015,CST-SPT-soxnt06.articleThat article also mentions that the Sox may be interested in Scott Eyre. :o: