PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: Manny to Dodgers

spiffie
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
No further details yet, but on main page of sports illustrated web site.

kruzer31
07-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Per Rotoworld

oeo
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
I thought Bay was a Ray? :?:

Over By There
Now saying Jason Bay is going to the Red Sox as part of the deal. I thought he was going to the Rays?

WhiteOut05
I just read the Dodgers got Bay.
No way they got both....right?

palehozenychicty
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
I thought this made the most sense all along.

WhiteOut05
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
This deadline has been madness
right after i read on SI that Manny went to LA
i read Bay was going to LA too

going insane

maybe we got Halladay :D:

CHIsoxNation
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
This is also being reported on CBS Sports.

btrain929
07-31-2008, 03:36 PM
I thought Bay was a Ray? :?:

Now saying Jason Bay is going to the Red Sox as part of the deal. I thought he was going to the Rays?

That deal fell thru.

WhiteOut05
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/07/31/manny.sweepstakes/index.html?eref=T1

looks like instead of florida, dodgers became the third team.

manny to LA, Bay to Boston
if LA traded Kemp.....ugh I'd feel bad for their fans.
I'm guessing it was Ethier and other prospects

kruzer31
Im hearing 3 teams, red sox, pirates and dodgers, boston gets bay, and LA got manny

BeviBall!
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Still unconfirmed. The beat writer for the Bucs says it's "unconfirmed from a “high-ranking team official”.

Tekijawa
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Bay is going to be one tired payer playing for two different teams! What team will he play for if the Rays meet the Red Sox in the ALDS? Will he have to DH so he doesn't have to play defence for either team? Is this just a case of Jason Being Jason?

Sockinchisox
07-31-2008, 03:41 PM
How the **** did the Dodgers keep Kemp?!

Anyway here are the details:

Red Sox get: Bay

Pirates get: Andy LaRoche, Craig Hansen, Bryan Morris, Damien Moss

Dodgers get: Manny

DSpivack
Bay is going to be one tired payer playing for two different teams! What team will he play for if the Rays meet the Red Sox in the ALDS? Will he have to DH so he doesn't have to play defence for either team? Is this just a case of Jason Being Jason?

He could have worn part of his team's name on the back of his uniform. Has that ever happened before? I don't recall Thom Yorke suiting up for the Yankees, but you never know.

palehozenychicty
Dodgers give up LaRoche and Bryan Morris. LaRoche was highly touted, but I hadn't heard of Morris. If so, that's a steal for the Dodgers. Pirates got some players too.

I guess Andruw Jones is going to be cut soon. We have a CF backup plan. :redneck

EuroSox35
Foxspots has it too, wow.

I hope it's true, haha, after 3 Gammons reported there was no trade, makes ESPN look bad

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398506/Source:-Red-Sox-trade-Manny-to-Dodgers Red Sox pays the salary, LaRoche and Bryan Morris [from the Dodgers] Damien Moss and Craig Hansen [from the Red Sox] to the Pirates, and Bay to the Red Sox

Soxfanspcu11
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
I am predicting a MERGE of threads!

:tongue:

anewman35
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM

I hope it's true, haha, after 3 Gammons reported there was no trade, makes ESPN look bad

Not really, everybody knows that a lot of times these trades don't become official until after 3, don't they?

F4L
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Its official. ESPN just reported it too. Good coverage by SI, they got it WAY before anyone else.

gregoriop
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
This has to be one of the most amazing trade deadlines ever.

Soxfanspcu11
07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
He could have worn part of his team's name on the back of his uniform. Has that ever happened before? I don't recall Thom Yorke suiting up for the Yankees, but you never know.

That's funny that you mention that because just the other day I was reading an article somewhere that had really cool facts like what you are talking about in it.

For example, there was some player with the last name "May" and he wore number 15. Can you guess what his birthday was? Yup, that's right, May 15th. The article said that he was the only player in MLB history to wear his birthdate as a number. I wish I could remember some of the others. It was rather cool though.

BeviBall!
The Pirates are destined to run in place for eternity. They had the makings of a great team.

salty99
They have to be submitted and approved by 3CST. The actual reports to the media often take longer.

turners56
Wow, the Dodgers have just pulled ahead of the D'backs. They finally got that big power hitter who can hit 30 homers and drive in 100+ in their lineup now.

IlliniSox4Life
yeah

Sockinchisox
07-31-2008, 03:49 PM
No one is going to pitch to Ortiz anymore, I would take my chances with Bay every time.

munchman33
07-31-2008, 03:49 PM
The Pirates are destined to run in place for eternity. They had the makings of a great team.

They're getting four pretty high quality prospects. They actually made out like bandits.

gregoriop
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
In case you were wondering:

ManRam:
.299 20 68 .398 .529
Bay:
.282 22 64 .375 .519

Pretty similiar. Of course, you can't quantify that Manny has "been there" already.

the1tab
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398506/Source:-Red-Sox-trade-Manny-to-Dodgers Red Sox pays the salary, LaRoche and Bryan Morris [from the Dodgers] Damien Moss and Craig Hansen [from the Red Sox] to the Pirates, and Bay to the Red Sox

FoxSports says Brandon Moss, OF from BOS to PIT w/ the rest

Looks a lot to me like Pittsburgh just rebuilt in 2 weeks what their drafts have failed to do for a decade. Between this & the Nady deal w/ the Yankees, they've got almost as many B prospects as Billy Bean to work with.

soxinem1
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Too bad Manny didn't wind up with the St. Paul Saints.

I think Boston got the best of this one. Bay will have 45-50 doubles a year off the monster.

I'm sure they are dancing in the streets in Bean/Dodgertown, and wondering what happened in South Florida.

Rockabilly
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
why would the Dodgers get Ramirez

they already have Kemp, Jones, Ethier, and Pierre in the OF

Soxman219
07-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Agreed!

spiffie
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
They're getting four pretty high quality prospects. They actually made out like bandits.
And we all eagerly await finding out in 2013 what team will be getting those prospects who turn out to be good players.

the1tab
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
I'd say this bumps the Red Sox sideways more than a huge positive. Bay is a poor man's JD Drew - health issues, inconsistent play, decent arm. Manny to LA gives them perhaps a full roster of the most over-hyped players of this decade. I'm not saying Manny isn't a good ball player, but the God-status he's achieved by playing in Boston is a little ridiculous. Between Manny, Andruw Jones, Rafael Furcal, Jason Schmidt, Nomar & Jeff Kent they have a great collection of 2001 Fantasy All-World Performers.

palehozenychicty
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM

If I were True Blue, I'd put Jones and Pierre on waivers and see what you get. They really needed a shortstop, though. :scratch:

the1tab
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Agreed!

For all the talk, I was disappointed by this trade deadline. All of the lefty relievers that were supposed to move turned into... Arthur Rhodes going to Florida. All of the enormous bats that were supposed to move... Matt Holliday, Raul Ibanez, Adam Dunn... I agree we had a couple HUGE Uber-Names get moved, but to have only two legit deals, one of which was mid-level talent for an aging superstar, after all this talk is kinduva letdown.

Unless you're living in Chicago, LA or Boston.

WhiteOut05
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM

andruw jones doesn't play the outfield anymore
he tests the dodgers' bats' aerodynamics through the strike zone
he's really good :tongue:

russ99
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
No one is going to pitch to Ortiz anymore, I would take my chances with Bay every time.

I cant believe the Red Sox weakened themselves like that just because Manny's an idiot...

Jurr
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
FoxSports says Brandon Moss, OF from BOS to PIT w/ the rest

Looks a lot to me like Pittsburgh just rebuilt in 2 weeks what their drafts have failed to do for a decade. Between this & the Nady deal w/ the Yankees, they've got almost as many B prospects as Billy Bean to work with.
I know it. Two trades and 8 prospects. The problem with the Pirates' new regime is that the cupboard was SO barren in the minors. Now they are beginning to stockpile. It's about time for the Buccos.

JB98
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM

I agree with that. Part of Ortiz's "clutch" reputation comes from the fact that he gets good pitches to hit all the time. No one wants to put him on and deal with Ramirez.

Bay has never played in a pennant race before in his career. I'd roll the dice on him over Ortiz every time.

Jjav829
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM

Two of those outfielders aren't really any good.

Good move for the Dodgers. Manny is exactly what they need, and what they hoped they were getting in signing Andruw Jones.

Nice to see the Red Sox trade players away to help themselves downgrade in the outfield for the rest of the year.

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Not really, everybody knows that a lot of times these trades don't become official until after 3, don't they?

The way he said it though, was that his sources said that no trade was made that made it before the deadline (nothing in the office).

FoxSports says Brandon Moss, OF from BOS to PIT w/ the rest.

They must have edited it, I just copied and pasted the names

Michstate45
07-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Joe Torre + Manny Ramirez = crazy delicious

Interesting combo in LA now

I unfortunately feel that the Red Sox will be fine with Bay plugged in there. The whole Manny deal has been clearly hurting their play on the field. I don't think Bay can go in there and do what Manny did, but I think a move like this might have the other guys picking up their game.

hope I am wrong.

BeviBall!
07-31-2008, 04:15 PM

And they'll all be traded away for next decades "stars in the making."

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Yep, a big thanks to Boston, we'll take you making yourself worse, I was hoping this would go down so we wouldn't have to face Manny (whether reg or postseason). I like it for LAD too, come on, it's Manny freakin Ramirez, you make room for him. I wonder the **** storm that will ensue once Boston fans/media realize how idiotic it is to do this 'addition by subtraction'. I hope they miss the playoffs

DSpivack
07-31-2008, 04:19 PM
That's funny that you mention that because just the other day I was reading an article somewhere that had really cool facts like what you are talking about in it.

For example, there was some player with the last name "May" and he wore number 15. Can you guess what his birthday was? Yup, that's right, May 15th. The article said that he was the only player in MLB history to wear his birthdate as a number. I wish I could remember some of the others. It was rather cool though.

OF Derrick May, played for the Cubs in the early 90s, I remember that.

btrain929
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
I cant believe the Red Sox weakened themselves like that just because Manny's an idiot...

Seriously. The lost Manny Ramirez, Craig Hansen, Brandon Moss, are paying the rest of Manny's contract, just to get Jason Bay.

Jeez.......

LA Angels must be happy to see that.....

Rockabilly
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Red Sox will not make the post season this year...

btrain929
07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Why is this still in What's the Score? It's official. Let's get it in Talking Baseball so we don't have to look at 2 different threads.

Fenway
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Francona wanted him gone and was seen smiling leaving Fenway.

Bay should be a force at Fenway...big question now is do they put Drew #4 in order.

Looking back Manny attacking the traveling secretary who is 64 was when the worm turned against him.

It was a fascinating eight years and for the most part he put up numbers to justify his contract. But finally Francona had enough. Terry knows what his clubhouse was like and it was time for him to go.

What a crazy week this has been.

The Immigrant
07-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Bay should be a force at Fenway...big question now is do they put Drew #4 in order.

The big question is how much alcohol does one need to consume to convince himself that Jason Bay is adequate compensation for the loss of Manny Ramirez.

Fenway
07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
The big question is how much alcohol does one need to consume to convince himself that Jason Bay is adequate compensation for the loss of Manny Ramirez.

Talk to me in a month :gulp:

This is so similar to Nomar 4 years ago and that worked well.

07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Talk to me in a month :gulp:

This is so similar to Nomar 4 years ago and that worked well.

No.

Manny >>>>>>>>>>x100 Nomar

Craig Grebeck
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Manny's OPS+ this season: 140
Bay's: 135

Where is this massive downgrade again? Bay is way younger and will be a staple in that OF for years to come.

Michstate45
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
The biggest part of this deal is just the fact that Boston dumped it's big distraction. That scares me. I would have been much happier if Manny would have stayed and continued this drama for the remaining two months. Boston had been tanking the last couple of weeks as the headlines continued to be about him.

Bay will not be as good as Manny, but he will still produce good numbers and he will keep his mouth shut.

The bottom line in the AL East after the trade deadline: Let's go Rays!!!!

turners56
07-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Manny's just a big name. His OPS is only 30 points higher than Bay's. Plus, Bay can run the bases and play defense better. It's not as much of a loss as you think it is.

Boondock Saint
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Manny's just a big name. His OPS is only 30 points higher than Bay's. Plus, Bay can run the bases and play defense better. It's not as much of a loss as you think it is.

He's much more than that. He was the "2" in the 1-2 punch that was Ortiz-Ramirez. Ortiz is far more dangerous with Ramirez up after him than with Bay or Drew up after him.

asindc
07-31-2008, 08:11 PM
He's much more than that. He was the "2" in the 1-2 punch that was Ortiz-Ramirez. Ortiz is far more dangerous with Ramirez up after him than with Bay or Drew up after him.

That is what Manny's ultimate value was to Boston, and why this is a net loss baseball-wise for them. I think if they hadn't won it again last year, this would not have been done, on either side. Manny has wanted out of Boston for some time now. Two championships gave both sides leverage to get it done.