PDA

View Full Version : And This Trade Deadline Is Ovah!

MCHSoxFan
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
So...Good, bad, don't care?

Tekijawa
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not certain if we got better or not?

russ99
Let's see if Kenny got anything else first...

If it's just Griffey, I'm quite pleased but we still have rotation and bullpen question marks.

BeviBall!
Fax DELAYS!

MCHSoxFan
I am just a lil pissed we got no starter. I am excited to see Jr. play, however.

Marqhead
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Well it was certainly exciting. Lets see if anything else trickles through.

SouthSide2Ship
its not over till we say it is! was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?!

White City
Crude oil was down ag... oh, wait, you mean the other market has closed.

I'm a little sad that Kenny couldn't sucker someone into giving us a magic bullet in exchange for Paul Konerko, but he is after all merely a ninja, not a deity. Would have liked a reliever, but maybe that means Linebrink can come back after all.

soxfandy
07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Trades will still be coming through for about the next hour or so

wulfy
Fax DELAYS!

Didn't the Hawks lose a deal once because there was no paper in the league office's fax machine? Or am I just remembering that incorrectly.

[/hijack]

Frankfan4life
We could still use another relief pitcher and a starting pitcher. But, I'm content to stand pat rather than give up good players.

scarsofthumper
I've been hearing a couple of deals involving pitchers for Swisher. Mainly Correia from SF or Hanrahan and Lannan from WSH

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
I wonder if a Manny deal could still happen during the waiver trade period?

Say Boston puts him on waivers.

If someone claims him, Boston will probably just say "OK, go ahead."

He'd probably clear waivers, which would allow him to be traded for a PTBNL.

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
its not over till we say it is! was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?!
Ouch...

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't think we got worse, I liked the versatility of Masset, but he's been terrible (but maybe would've preferred him in the minors), Richar was supposed to be the 2B of the future, but I guess he had some issues and we have some depth there anyways.

I just still don't like the trade, no need for a bad/slow/old defender with an average bat that just creates a bigger logjam with another guy that should be a DH. Meanwhile, less playing time for one-multiple players can't help clubhouse chemistry for a 1st place team that much

And, let's wait like 20 minutes, sometimes deals will trickle through

voodoochile
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
In addition, lots of players will make it through waivers and be traded in the next month. I expect Manny to be one of them as he was a few years ago.

btrain929
07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
I've been hearing a couple of deals involving pitchers for Swisher. Mainly Correia from SF or Hanrahan and Lannan from WSH

If we bought high on Swisher, then decided to sell low on him (which is what any of those deals would be), that would be the dumbest, and maybe the last move of KW's GM career.

With that said, I'm am 125% sure Swisher is going nowhere.

MCHSoxFan
And, let's wait like 20 minutes, sometimes deals will trickle through

Thanks. Feel a lil betta now.

ramorgan1
Ouch...
I think it's okay as he was quoting Animal House...

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 03:09 PM
For that matter, Paul Konerko probably would clear waivers. If not, you just let him go and free yourself of that onerous contract.

Theoretically, the White Sox and Red Sox could conspire using the waiver process.

White Sox put Paulie through waivers.

Red Sox put Manny through waivers.

Each team agrees to claim the other team's player.

If another team interferes with a waiver wire claim on either player, the deal's off, but it doesn't matter, because the team would just let their player go to the third team.

Would such a "conspiracy" be illegal?

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I think it's okay as he was quoting Animal House...
Oh, okay then.

daveeym
07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Ouch...
It amazes me to this day when this joke still goes over peoples' head. :redneck

White City
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
But what would the Red Sox want with Konerko?

btrain929
Good thing: another lefty bat with pop who might play above expectations now that he is in a playoff race.
Bad thing: it is almost a guarantee that this deal pisses off at least one person, whether thats Swish, Konerko, Thome, or Griffey himself.

nsdjoe
Ouch...

Clearly you're not up on your classic comedy movies.

Tekijawa
07-31-2008, 03:12 PM

He was born in 1983... But hasn't watched TV in the past 3 months

russ99
For that matter, Paul Konerko probably would clear waivers. If not, you just let him go and free yourself of that onerous contract.

Theoretically, the White Sox and Red Sox could conspire using the waiver process.

White Sox put Paulie through waivers.

Red Sox put Manny through waivers.

Each team agrees to claim the other team's player.

If another team interferes with a waiver wire claim on either player, the deal's off, but it doesn't matter, because the team would just let their player go to the third team.

Would such a "conspiracy" be illegal?

Probably, but other teams could put in a claim and throw a monkey wrench into the "arrangement". Waiver claims are accepted in the reverse order of winning percentage.

WhiteSox5187
Well, I don't know if we got any better, but we certainly didn't get any worse...as has been said, there still will be trades that are made. I'm still hoping for another pitcher.

Frater Perdurabo
But what would the Red Sox want with Konerko?

A chance to have another team take Manny off their hands. :redneck

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I dunno, I've heard some pretty dumb historical inaccuracies before. It'll probably continue to catch anyone who either hasn't seen or doesn't remember Animal House (like me).

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Probably, but other teams could put in a claim and monkey up the "arrangement". Waiver claims are accepted in the reverse order of winning percentage.

And what's wrong with that?

If Manny gets claimed, the Red Sox lose their cancerous tumor.

If Paulie gets claimed, the White Sox divest an onerous contract.

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Clearly you're not up on your classic comedy movies.
Sorry!

I have seen UHF about a thousand times though if that counts for anything. And I also own both Major League movies (the third never actually happened, it was all just a bad dream).

munchman33
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not displeased, I'm not enthralled. I like getting a bat, but no pitcher is puzzling. Hopeful we make a quick waiver deal for pitching help. We need the help now, not August 30th.

pythons007
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Why is everyone so down on Griffey. I think he needs a change of scenery. Also, look at what the Cubs got out of Edmonds? He is one year younger than Griffey! I would take Griffey over Edmonds anyday.

mrfourni
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
And what's wrong with that?

If Manny gets claimed, the Red Sox lose their cancerous tumor.

If Paulie gets claimed, the White Sox divest lose an onerous contract.

If any team claims manny off waivers, doesn't that team still have to work out a trade with the Red Sox, or am I wrong?

Domeshot17
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I like the addition of Griffey, but I don't love it. He is at this point another all of nothing hitter hitting below .255 but for Good Power. He hasn't been a CF for a few years. He will improve us over PK in a platoon but thats about it. Its a good move, but not one that made a ton of sense because he doesn't have a position or one that filled a need.

That said, we got him for nothing, Richar had regressed and Masset was made expendable by Carrasco.

jabrch
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
If any team claims manny off waivers, doesn't that team still have to work out a trade with the Red Sox, or am I wrong?

Or Boston can just dump him on that team. (Would be silly since they have options on him for next year and will get draft picks after he leaves)

twsoxfan5
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
To put a very positive spin on things we got John Danks and Ken Griffey Jr. for Brandon McCarthy.

BRDSR
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
To put a very positive spin on things we got John Danks and Ken Griffey Jr. for Brandon McCarthy.

Haha...awesome.

I'm not sure why anyone is even slightly concerned about this deal. Richar was NOT the White Sox second baseman of the future, he was MAYBE the White Sox second baseman until our 2008 #1 draft pick was ready to play. This move may indicate that the Sox have some hopes of resigning Cabrera, too, as that would allow Ramirez to stay at 2nd, where I think he's probably more suited to play (not having seen him at short).

Masset might have 3-5 years of pitching as a backend of the rotation type guy before he's out of the majors. It's not hard to find that type of production, folks.

And, we can now say that the two best hitters of the 1990s have played for the White Sox!

soxinem1
07-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Maybe Rob Mackowiak will be coming back to shore up the bench!

PennStater98r
07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Ouch...

Ah yes - young kids that don't know much of anything when it comes to the classics... ;)

DrGiggles
07-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Well Manny got traded to the Dodgers so we don't have to worry anymore about him clearing waivers. :smile:

sox1970
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm kinda disappointed the Sox didn't get a pitcher or two today.

Jollyroger2
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm kinda disappointed the Sox didn't get a pitcher or two today.

Agreed.

Hokiesox
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM

The Germans never bombed Pearl Harbor. :scratch:

Edit: Clearly I didn't get the joke either. Now I'm embarrassed.

sox84
07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
We could still use another relief pitcher and a starting pitcher. But, I'm content to stand pat rather than give up good players.

"Selling' GM's maybe setting their sights too high for returns on pitchers?? If thats the case, I would understand that as a reason for no pitchers coming in a trade.

A. Cavatica
07-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Wow. After seeing who the Sox gave up, seeing that it was not the first part of a grand scheme, and thinking about it all day, I really like this deal.

The Sox didn't give up much. Richar had become a spare part behind Ramirez and Getz, and there are other 2B prospects behind them. And though we got way more out of Masset this year than I expected, he is easily replaceable.

The Sox aren't spending much. I bet the ticket and merchandise sales pay what's left of Griffey's salary.

Now we'll always have a dangerous bat on the bench. And we got a player who's outstanding fundamentally, who's hungry for the World Series, and who will make Swisher/Konerko/Thome earn their playing time. Griffey might even turn out to be next year's DH.

We didn't give up Danks or Fields or Poreda or Getz or Shelby. We actually got a bargain.

Nice deal, KW!

Bucky F. Dent
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Didn't the Hawks lose a deal once because there was no paper in the league office's fax machine? Or am I just remembering that incorrectly.

[/hijack]

Chris Gratton - the most absurd excuse I have ever heard come out of a GM's mouth - in this instance, Bob Murray. That said, Pully was pulling his strings.