downstairs
07-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Any word on if he plays tonight?

Harry Potter
07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Who is Richar III? :redneck

soxlover
07-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Can anybody tell how well Richar played in the minors this year? Last I knew he was hurt after spring training and he just dropped off the face of the earth.

esbrechtel
The ESPN News trade deadline keeps calling Masset-Massay it is driving me nuts....

sox1970

Logistically, that's unlikely.

He'll be in KC tomorrow.

White City

Wasn't he the hunchback who killed his nephews?

Marqhead
The ESPN News trade deadline keeps calling Masset-Massay it is driving me nuts....

The T is silent stupid! :redneck

WhiteSox5187
Well...pretty good deal. I still don't know where the hell Jr. will play, but we didn't lose a whole lot.

grv1974

Why, it's the grandson of Richar I........naturally.:D:

white sox bill

Danny's great great grandson?

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't like it. The guy is 39 in a couple of months, and he's going to patrol our CF! Our pitching is going to suffer for our horrible defense which just got downgraded. And for what, his offense isn't even that much better for what we're replacing, yay for another slow and old DH!

This reeks of Alomar again (and Jeff Nelson on a smaller scale), all on name This is a big psychological boost for the playoffs. How would you like to be a pitcher having to face a lineup with a 600+ HR hitter, a 500+ HR hitter, two guys that are just short of 300 HR (Paulie at 285 and JD at 288), another guy who's had a 30 HR season (Swisher) and the AL HR leader (Quentin).
:shocked:

That pitcher will just look at the 08 numbers.

I have a bigger worry on the Sox psych effect, this means less playing time for at least one, and maybe 2-3 players, that can't really help morale. Then there's all the stories on AM1000 highlighting some of his moments acting like jerk, Doing a signal of slashing your throat to the broadcast booth because they criticized you, you're the oldest guy on the field, Grow Up

rustysurf83
07-31-2008, 01:16 PM

Vegas lines say "not expected," they usually seem more in the loop than the *** ****s on WSCR

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
It was nice value. The Sox get a guy they've been targeting for some time, and now they've got him for a pitcher and a second baseman. Both of whom showed very little in their time here. We'll see what they do with Griffey.

nasox
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
A caller called in yesterday on The Show on AM 1000 and suggested that maybe we could get something for Richar. J Hood went off on him saying that was idiotic, inane, impossible. He basically pulled a Mora type blow-up but instead of Playoffs, he said Richar. Well, look what happened.

Also, lip is trying to talk some sense into the fans at the chicagosports.com boards.

ChiSox89
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
i really like the deal. they didn't give up much and he is so much better than a wise/anderson platoon. welcome to the southside jr.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Heffalump
07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't like it. The guy is 39 in a couple of months, and he's going to patrol our CF! Our pitching is going to suffer for our horrible defense which just got downgraded. And for what, his offense isn't even that much better for what we're replacing, yay for another slow and old DH!

This reeks of Alomar again (and Jeff Nelson on a smaller scale), all on name

I have a bigger worry on the Sox psych effect, this means less playing time for at least one, and maybe 2-3 players, that can't really help morale. Then there's all the stories on AM1000 highlighting some of his moments acting like jerk, Doing a signal of slashing your throat to the broadcast booth because they criticized you, you're the oldest guy on the field, Grow Up

Thank you EuroSox Psychologist. We now return to competent discussions.

balke
07-31-2008, 01:28 PM
We might as well put up the Brian Anderson appreciation thread. Noone's going to freak out yet? Or has it not set in yet that with Griffey on the roster, Wise or him is going.

UofCSoxFan
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Bottom line:

We gave up very little. Worst case he proves he can't play center and we get another bench stick. Best case, he finds enough magic to play CF for two months and our team gets a ton better.

stacksedwards
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
What's not to like here? If Jr. can't hack it in center then we have another left handed bat off the bench. I have also heard of possibly moving JD to first base and keeping Swish in center and having Jr. play RF.

ondafarm
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
We might as well put up the Brian Anderson appreciation thread. Noone's going to freak out yet? Or has it not set in yet that with Griffey on the roster, Wise or him is going.

Wise going back down, that's almost certain.

TheQuestion
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
I too like the deal - but I will admit its mostly because Griffey is one of my favorite players of all time. He will definitely put more butts in seats, thats for sure.

As far as the Paulie bashing I've read here - I'd rather have Konerko at 1st than Swisher. They can platoon at 1B as far as I'm concerned, because Konerko is more valuable at 1st than as DH.

UofCSoxFan
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I too like the deal - but I will admit its mostly because Griffey is one of my favorite players of all time. He will definitely put more butts in seats, thats for sure.

As far as the Paulie bashing I've read here - I'd rather have Konerko at 1st than Swisher. They can platoon at 1B as far as I'm concerned, because Konerko is more valuable at 1st than as DH.

I think it would be a terrible mistake to take Thome out of the everyday DH role. To me, its Konerko or Swisher at 1B.

Domeshot17
07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Just got a call from a friend who said he heard the Red Sox are offering Manny for Griffey, anyone heard this?

Marqhead
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Just got a call from a friend who said he heard the Red Sox are offering Manny for Griffey, anyone heard this?
Theres another thread about it. It was reported on some radio station in Boston.

getonbckthr
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Will Griff be in the lineup tonight? there was rumors that he was doing what he could to get to Minnesota.

Domeshot17
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Yah just saw the WTS thread, sorry

nsdjoe

SquirrelNutz
I see this as somewhat of a stop-gap move to try and mitigate Konerko's extended slump - in that it provides a little more punch right now - at a relatively minor reduction in defense. The hope is that somewhere along the line Konerko works out of his slump - then we have a problem of having too many bats - but that kind of problem a lot of teams would love to have.

Cangelosi CF
07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Boston offering Manny Ramirez to White Sox for Griffey. Red Sox to include $7,000,000. Apparently Jr. lost his no-trade clause when Cincinnati traded him to the White Sox.

angiew
07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Boston offering Manny Ramirez to White Sox for Griffey. Red Sox to include $7,000,000

Oh Sweet Lord....PLEASE let this be a joke!:o: I ****ing HATE Manny.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM

This reeks of Alomar again (and Jeff Nelson on a smaller scale), all on name

Hey, if you'll look at my history of posts, you'll see that I'm among the more vociferous proponents of strong CF defense. It's clear, though, that for better or worse the Sox view CF as an "offense-first" position.

Harry Potter
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Even if it isn't a joke, remember you need both an offer and an acceptance

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Oh Sweet Lord....PLEASE let this be a joke!:o: I ****ing HATE Manny.

I'd do it if they'd take Paulie and pick up the rest of his deal. :D:

cws05champ
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Was his place on the depth chart....

nasox
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM

Even then I'd be hesitant. But I'd still do it.

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Ha, I was just going to post that.

Paulie + Griffey for Manny and Bowden
Manny + cash to FLA for Hermida

Masset, Richar, Paulie, cash for Bowden, Hermida

....yummmmmmm

balke
This Manny thing is complete BS. There's nowhere for Manny to play, unless the Sox send Thome with him. If Thome goes to Boston, he has nowhere to play.

If they did get him though, and move Dye to 1B... they almost have to trade Swisher or Konerko.

Harry Chappas
I see this as somewhat of a stop-gap move to try and mitigate Konerko's extended slump - in that it provides a little more punch right now - at a relatively minor reduction in defense. The hope is that somewhere along the line Konerko works out of his slump - then we have a problem of having too many bats - but that kind of problem a lot of teams would love to have.

This is how I took it as well. If PK continues to struggle or ends up on the DL for an extended period of time with his hand injury, this provides a veteran bat in the lineup.

I'm also a believer in catching lightning in a bottle. Playing for the Reds couldn't have inspired much from a veteran like Junior. Maybe being thrown into a playoff race will spark something in him and we get a few good months. Either way, when you consider what we gave up, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. And if he does suck in CF, there is no law that prevents Ozzie from putting Swisher back out there and using Griffey as a situational bench player.

SaltyPretzel
07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
This Manny thing is complete BS. There's nowhere for Manny to play, unless the Sox send Thome with him. If Thome goes to Boston, he has nowhere to play.

If they did get him though, and move Dye to 1B... they almost have to trade Swisher or Konerko.

...and I think Konerko stated before that he had no interest playing in Boston.

jabrch
07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Boston offering Manny Ramirez to White Sox for Griffey. Red Sox to include $7,000,000. Apparently Jr. lost his no-trade clause when Cincinnati traded him to the White Sox.

And Manny to play CF?

DSpivack
07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Ha, I was just going to post that.

Paulie + Griffey for Manny and Bowden
Manny + cash to FLA for Hermida

Masset, Richar, Paulie, cash for Bowden, Hermida

....yummmmmmm

Are Cincininatti Reds.

angiew
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
No question, Manny can hit....but I swear there's no amount of money that would make that cocky bastard look appealing to me in a Sox uniform.:angry:

Marqhead
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Are Cincininatti Reds.
We have Griffey for Masset and Richar. So at the end of all the dealing this is essentially what the deal would be.

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Are Cincininatti Reds.
that's quite observant of you

Rocky Soprano
07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Are Cincininatti Reds.

But that is what it essentially cost us...

Madvora
07-31-2008, 01:58 PM
And Manny to play CF?
I can't imagine how funny that would be to watch... on another team.

35th&Shields
07-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Here's the great thing about this deal:

We traded Brandon McCarthy for John Danks and Nick Masset.

We traded Aaron Cunningham for Danny Richar.

That ultimately means its as if we got Ken Griffey, Jr. and John Danks straight up in a trade for Brandon McCarthy and Aaron Cameron. That's an unbelievable trade.

sox1970
07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Here's the great thing about this deal:

We traded Brandon McCarthy for John Danks and Nick Masset.

We traded Aaron Cameron for Danny Richar.

That ultimately means its as if we got Ken Griffey, Jr. and John Danks straight up in a trade for Brandon McCarthy and Aaron Cameron. That's an unbelievable trade.

Aaron Cunningham.

35th&Shields
07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Aaron Cunningham.
Same difference. Seriously, thanks for the correction.

DubSox
07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Griffey!!

getonbckthr
07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Will Ken Griffey Jr. be in the lineup tonight?

nsdjoe
07-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Looks unlikely.

Marqhead
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Let's just make sure Ozzie doesn't give Griffey too much Brain and Nerve Tonic.

stillz
07-31-2008, 02:07 PM
The Griffey trade is a fun & interesting move. Kudos to Kenny. Manny on the South Side makes me want to barf. He's a great ballplayer, but a spoiled, ignorant, douchebag.

TDog
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Wasn't he the hunchback who killed his nephews?

I'm not so sure Richard III was as hunchbacked or Little Princes-murdering or even as willing to overpay for a horse as the Tudor biographers made him out to be after the Battle of Bosworth Field (where they didn't play night games). But I, too, wondered who Richar III was when I saw the thread title, having stumbled into WSI too late to pick up the first two. (There is a story that the American title for The Madness of King George III, which I saw in London, was changed to drop the III because there was a fear Americans would not have gone to see it, not having seen the first two. But I digress.)

I'm not going to read more than 1,000 posts to get up to speed because I don't have the time. I am figuring Griffey will be playing center. I don't see him supplanting Thome at DH on a regular basis, and Dye and Quentin are the Sox two MVP candidates. That would leave Swisher and Konerko at first base.

Masset has always been an inconsistent pitcher for the Sox. He shouldn't be that difficult to replace. Richar was only the second baseman of the future by default. The Sox don't seem to have given up much.

On the major league roster, the Sox are gaining a bat and losing bullpen arm. I won't, however, read through the 1,000-plus posts, some of which probably do no for than trigger the language filter in front of dancing bananas.

russ99
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Let's just make sure Ozzie doesn't give Griffey too much Brain and Nerve Tonic.

Niiice! :D:

POTW material. :gulp:

voodoochile
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
No question, Manny can hit....but I swear there's no amount of money that would make that cocky bastard look appealing to me in a Sox uniform.:angry:

I sincerely doubt this trade is happening, but have you lost your ****ing mind?

Welcome to Chicago, ManRam!

voodoochile
07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
The Griffey trade is a fun & interesting move. Kudos to Kenny. Manny on the South Side makes me want to barf. He's a great ballplayer, but a spoiled, ignorant, douchebag.

Just wanted you to be able to read your own words clearly...

The Milkman
07-31-2008, 02:12 PM

Seriously...

angiew
07-31-2008, 02:13 PM
"spoiled, ignorant, douchebag"
Just so you can see the most important line in that post:wink:

Seriously though, to me, some things are more important than being a great baseball player.

voodoochile
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
And Manny to play CF?

Give Quentin a shot at it...:D:

Heck, move Dye to first and put Quentin in right and leave Swish in CF.

Cabrera SS
Quentin RF
Manny LF
Dye 1B
Thome/PK DH
AJ C
Swish CF
Fields 3B
Ramirez 2B

:drool:

I repeat

Harry Chappas
07-31-2008, 02:16 PM

I thought the same thing. I could give a damn about his "Manny being Manny" act. He has one of the best righty bats in my lifetime and is an RBI machine. Plus, can you imagine the comments from both Ozzie and Manny? That alone might be worth the price of admission.

It won't happen but it sure is fun to speculate.

KnightSox
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Per Dan Bernstein, the Sox now have the worst outfield in baseball. Is their no solace from this banter?

And yes, I have already shut the score off.

gogosox16

Cabrera SS
Quentin RF
Manny LF
Dye 1B
Thome/PK DH
AJ C
Swish CF
Fields 3B
Ramirez 2B

I repeat

That would be one hell of a lineup

aryzner
I thought the same thing. I could give a damn about his "Manny being Manny" act. He has one of the best righty bats in my lifetime and is an RBI machine. Plus, can you imagine the comments from both Ozzie and Manny? That alone might be worth the price of admission.

It won't happen but it sure is fun to speculate.
Ozzie and Manny in the same place would probably be HILARIOUS. I'd love to see it.

The Milkman
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM

Cabrera SS
Quentin RF
Manny LF
Dye 1B
Thome/PK DH
AJ C
Swish CF
Fields 3B
Ramirez 2B

I repeat

That's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen...

Rocky Soprano
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
ESPN just reported that since the Boston and Florida deal backfired, Theo Epstein just contacted Kenny Williams and offered Manny Ramirez for Ken Griffey Jr. straight out!

Nothing has been reported as to Kenny's answer, but say no way!

Check What's The Score!

Domeshot17
whats the score dude, we already have a bunch of threads on this

IlliniSox4Life

Cabrera SS
Quentin RF
Manny LF
Dye 1B
Thome/PK DH
AJ C
Swish CF
Fields 3B
Ramirez 2B

I repeat

Hmmm, I'm really not sure why I didn't think of the Dye-to-first move before. I think it actually makes more sense and is better defensively than having Swish play first.

edit: Well, better defensively in CF. Q in right isn't as good as Dye in right.

cleanwsox
Keeping the Mod's busy merging threads... :-)

Oldfellah
can we get this moved!

stillz
Cabrera SS
Quentin RF
Manny LF
Dye 1B
Thome/PK DH
AJ C
Swish CF
Fields 3B
Ramirez 2B

I admit - that lineup is frickin awesome.. I just can't see our headstrong GM wanting the confused, me-first Manny in his clubhouse.

John Barrett
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
per ESPN 1000 KW to address media from MN @ 3pm

russ99
07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I admit - that lineup is frickin awesome.. I just can't see our headstrong GM wanting the confused, me-first Manny in his clubhouse.

This lineup is just as good, IMO

Cabrera SS
AJ C
Griffey CF
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Thome/PK DH
Crede 3B
Swish 1B
Ramirez 2B

Plus, hasn't Jermaine's played 1B only 1 time in his career?

Brian26
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
If Manny cuts the hair, I'll go pick him up at the airport.

RTI_SoxFan
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
This lineup is just as good, IMO

Cabrera SS
AJ C
Griffey CF
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Thome/PK DH
Crede 3B
Swish 1B
Ramirez 2B

Switch Griffey and TCQ to get L,R,L,R.

I like it too, however!

sox1970
07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Griffey will wear 17, and join the Sox in KC.

gobears1987
07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Yep the Score is reporting it.

Jim Shorts
07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Per Dan Bernstein, the Sox now have the worst outfield in baseball. Is their no solace from this banter?

And yes, I have already shut the score off.

Bernstein knows as much about baseball as my kid sister.

Why people listen to him at all baffles me.

oeo
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM

I thought that was unofficially retired for Darin Erstad.

SoxGirl4Life
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM

You're thinking of Gload.

Bill Naharodny
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM

You had to do that? I'd almost forgotten about him.

tstrike2000
07-31-2008, 02:36 PM

Or at least for Tony Graffanino.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Bernstein knows as much about baseball as my kid sister.

Why people listen to him at all baffles me.

For some reason he and Boers love to bad mouth the Sox. The fact that Griffey has 10 career gold gloves, lends me to believe that he isn't the worst outfielder in baseball, even if his skills have declined over the years.

SoxGirl4Life
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
For some reason he and Boers love to bad mouth the Sox. The fact that Griffey has 10 career gold gloves, lends me to believe that he isn't the worst outfielder in baseball, even if his skills have declined over the years.

Its been a running theme for them for quite a while.

Sox bad, even if they're in first. Cubs, WS champs even if its only July. And Sox fans should just get over it and agree with them.

oeo
07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
I wonder why he picked 17. :scratch:

hawkjt
07-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Boers and Berns hate everybody and everything..its their schtick. They suck.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-31-2008, 02:50 PM

****tard Moron Windsock is in love with Bernstein. That answers it all for me. Boers is just happy someone's willing to pay him to be a clown.

kittle42
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM

Have you seen him play at all this year? He acts like he can still make plays that he no longer can, and this occasionally costs his teams runs. I honestly feel he is possibly worse than Swisher as a CF option, same at best.

Madvora
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Listening right now. They're about an hour behind WSI in their reports.
There's still reporting Lannan when this has already come up
http://mlbtr.blogs.sportsline.com/mc...%20White%20Sox (http://mlbtr.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/8691437?tag=Chicago%20White%20Sox)

Also, they're unaware of the Bay to TB thing

TDog
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
I wonder why he picked 17. :scratch:

Carlos May wore 17. That's why it's a special White Sox number. If I played for the Sox, 17 would be my first choice.

It's Dankerific
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Its kind of interesting to think of Ozzie's quote about one more day for PK a few days ago. Alot just assumed it meant just benching him for one of the usual suspects. Maybe it meant that if he didn't produce that day, Kenny was getting on the phone.

It's Dankerific
07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Have you seen him play at all this year? He acts like he can still make plays that he no longer can, and this occasionally costs his teams runs. I honestly feel he is possibly worse than Swisher as a CF option, same at best.

I haven't seen him play CF (or any defense) in ages. I'm going to watch him with my own eyes before I get upset. Any number of things could be going on, including the possibility he is revitalized a bit by playing on a team who is contending.

It's Dankerific
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Well, the White Sox just sent an email so it must be triple official now.

psyclonis
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
3 more minutes!!!!!
:bandance:

John Barrett
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Times Up!!!!!!!

Madvora
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Times Up!!!!!!!
I'm a little disappointed if that's all we got.

Harry Potter
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
There are sometimes trades that trickle across the wire after 3pm...

John Barrett
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm a little disappointed if that's all we got.

I don't think is was because of lack of effort

Domeshot17
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Maybe we don't need another MR

Maybe Masset was viewed as expendable because of how well Carrasco has pitched.

It's Dankerific
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Maybe we don't need another MR

So basically BMac was worth Danks and half of Ken Griffey Jr.

WOW KW. WOW.

RowanDye
07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
So basically Fingernails on a blackboard was worth Danks and half of Ken Griffey Jr.

WOW KW. WOW.

Yep. Someone remind me who the Sox traded to get Richar?

Jjav829
07-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Aaron Cunningham.

ChiSoxFan7
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Can anybody tell how well Richar played in the minors this year? Last I knew he was hurt after spring training and he just dropped off the face of the earth.

his name was getz....mr. getz...:redface:

Harry Potter
07-31-2008, 03:14 PM

Aaron Cunningham

The Immigrant
07-31-2008, 03:15 PM

Exactly. Masset was also expendable because he wasn't very good and has no options left.

It's Dankerific
07-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Exactly. Masset was also expendable because he wasn't very good and has no options left.

Considering he would have been in the minors with Richar at the beginning of the year if not for his lack of options, getting Jr. for 2 minor leaguers is awesome

jabrch
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
White Sox Release...

COPYRIGHTED TEXT

Provide a link or paraphrase, but do not copy and paste.

shes
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Can Thome still play first at all?

Let's say there are 6 games in a week, Griffey could play:

3 at CF
2 at DH
1 day off

Thome can play one of those games Griffey DHs at first and sit the other, giving PK a game at first.

This would allow Jr. and Thome to get a lot of rest down the stretch and also keeps Jr. out of CF half the time.

Feasible?

sox1970
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't want to see Griffey in CF...ever.

Maybe this is just a move to take some ABs away from Thome so his option doesn't kick in, and to fill in for Dye once in a while.

Martinigirl
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Griffey will be in the line up starting in KC? THere is no way he is there tonight is there?

thomas35forever
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Think that's annoying? They're pronouncing Richar REE-shar.

shes
07-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Griffey will be in the line up starting in KC? THere is no way he is there tonight is there?

He will be available tomorrow.

Soxfanspcu11
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
A caller called in yesterday on The Show on AM 1000 and suggested that maybe we could get something for Richar. J Hood went off on him saying that was idiotic, inane, impossible. He basically pulled a Mora type blow-up but instead of Playoffs, he said Richar. Well, look what happened.

That does not surprise Me at all. That dude has got some serious issues. I don't know what his deal is but he acts like he is better than EVERYONE. I don't think that I have EVER heard him actually be nice to a caller unless that caller basically kissed his ass and said only the things that Hood believed in.

He is probably My least favorite out of ALL the people on either the Score or 1000. And that is saying a lot. Check that, he IS My MOST HATED. No "maybe" or "probably" about it.

He and a certain SunTimes Columist need to get an apartment or something together so they can sit there all day and night and bitch and moan about everyone else. LOSERS, the both of 'um!

http://ctv.icdn.comcast.net/CTV/Comcast_CIM_Prod_Fancast_Live/603/926/1201814862758_9304_0002_121_87.jpg

"LOOOOOOOOSSSEERRR!!!!!"

downstairs
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I wonder what the record is for a team's players' combined career homerun totals. Thome and Griffey are 1,134 together.

I wonder if those two are a record together? The whole team considering Konerko and the like?

anewman35
07-31-2008, 03:36 PM
I wonder what the record is for a team's players' combined career homerun totals. Thome and Griffey are 1,134 together.

I wonder if those two are a record together? The whole team considering Konerko and the like?

I read that Mays and McCovey were about 30 homers more than Thome and Griffey. Don't know about a record for more than two guys.

TDog
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't want to see Griffey in CF...ever.

Maybe this is just a move to take some ABs away from Thome so his option doesn't kick in, and to fill in for Dye once in a while.

I felt the same way about Swisher. No, wait. Last year when I saw Swisher playing for the A's, I said to myself I don't want to see him playing anywhere for the White Sox ever. The Sox traded for him, and now I wish him well.

Thome is an offensive threat who has been hitting with authority. Dye may be the team's MVP, or at least the co-MVP.

I don't see Thome playing first, by the way. He didn't play first during interleague play this year because last year doing so led to health issues that kept him out of the lineup later.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
This is a secondary concern given the Sox first-place position in the AL Central race.

Still, it's worth mentioning that with the Reds kicking in $4 million, Griffey essentially is a no-cost addition that should sell a lot of the remaining unsold tickets and increase concession and parking revenues.

Now perhaps KW will have the extra 50 cents to have a whole dollar to make some more moves this offseason.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I felt the same way about Swisher. No, wait. Last year when I saw Swisher playing for the A's, I said to myself I don't want to see him playing anywhere for the White Sox ever. The Sox traded for him, and now I wish him well.

Thome is an offensive threat who has been hitting with authority. Dye may be the team's MVP, or at least the co-MVP.

I don't see Thome playing first, by the way. He didn't play first during interleague play this year because last year doing so led to health issues that kept him out of the lineup later.

Yes, but the reason for not playing him at first was because they didn't want to risk losing their only credible LH power bat.

With Griffey on board as another credible LH power bat, there's more "margin for error" to take the risk of playing Thome a few games a week at first base: If Thome gets hurt, you've still got Griffey.

kittle42
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Now perhaps KW will have the extra 50 cents to have a whole dollar to make some more moves this offseason.

I wouldn't count on it.

palehozenychicty
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't count on it.

Me neither.

btrain929
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
This is a secondary concern given the Sox first-place position in the AL Central race.

Still, it's worth mentioning that with the Reds kicking in $4 million, Griffey essentially is a no-cost addition that should sell a lot of the remaining unsold tickets and increase concession and parking revenues.

Plus he has a 4 mil dollar buyout for his huge option for next year. So it balances out unless he finishes this season like a madman with the bat and plays CF like a gazelle.

If not, here's to 2-3 months of Griffey leading us to the promiseland :gulp:

TDog
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes, but the reason for not playing him at first was because they didn't want to risk losing their only credible LH power bat.

With Griffey on board as another credible LH power bat, there's more "margin for error" to take the risk of playing Thome a few games a week at first base: If Thome gets hurt, you've still got Griffey.

Perhaps, but I still don't see Thome playing first base. Griffey has played two games at first base in his career. He only has one putout because he only played two innings, moving to first in the last innings of games in 1993 and 1998. I don't see Griffey playing first base either.

Domeshot17
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
The one thing I don't like, I have a friend who works in the office for an NL Central team, and he said they all think Griffey will hit pretty well for the Sox, thinking he has more to play for might give him a 2nd wind, but no one is thinking he is capable of handling CF anymore. I guess he hasn't even looked like much of a RF this year.

slavko
07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm not so sure Richard III was as hunchbacked or Little Princes-murdering or even as willing to overpay for a horse as the Tudor biographers made him out to be after the Battle of Bosworth Field (where they didn't play night games). But I, too, wondered who Richar III was when I saw the thread title, having stumbled into WSI too late to pick up the first two. (There is a story that the American title for The Madness of King George III, which I saw in London, was changed to drop the III because there was a fear Americans would not have gone to see it, not having seen the first two. But I digress.)

I'm not going to read more than 1,000 posts to get up to speed because I don't have the time. I am figuring Griffey will be playing center. I don't see him supplanting Thome at DH on a regular basis, and Dye and Quentin are the Sox two MVP candidates. That would leave Swisher and Konerko at first base.

Masset has always been an inconsistent pitcher for the Sox. He shouldn't be that difficult to replace. Richar was only the second baseman of the future by default. The Sox don't seem to have given up much.

On the major league roster, the Sox are gaining a bat and losing bullpen arm. I won't, however, read through the 1,000-plus posts, some of which probably do no for than trigger the language filter in front of dancing bananas.

You are one righteous historian and wit! Plus a good judge of the talent we gave up, which is to say a pitcher with nice potential who might be a good one some day but isn't now and a 2B who looks like a ballplayer but isn't now and won't be later on, IMO. (OK, you agree with me, which makes you "right.")

kittle42
07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I guess he hasn't even looked like much of a RF this year.

Remember how JD looked out there at the beginning of this season, a little sluggish and slow like he had lost a step? That was Griffey last year. Don't even ask about this year.

SoxFan1979
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't get this trade. All name imo. Well lets just hope for the best ....positive thoughts

Lillian
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't read all of the posts, so perhaps this has been discussed.
Regarding his ability to play Center, what are the essential elements to playing the position, and which of those are significantly diminished, at this point in Jr.'s career?

Reads
Range
Glove
Arm Strength
Arm Accuracy

Isn't it reasonable to assume that he can still be good, except in the Range factor? Of course he has slowed down considerably, but let's hope he can still be serviceable in Center. The Sox won't have a very good defensive outfield, except for the arms.
I wish Jr. could drop about 10 or 15 lbs., but it's a little late for that.

PicktoCLick72
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
KW just ripped George Offman to pieces on Tribune Live for opposing the trade and others. It was awesome.

Eat it Offman.

ChiSox65
07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Kenny's man-crush on Jr. finally realized.

Is this a deal for the sake of making a deal?

thomas35forever
07-31-2008, 06:06 PM
This guy doesn't like the deal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-zJoOyWss4

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
I have changed a little since this morning the more I think about it, and with hearing Kenny talk. First, the fact that we basically got him for free is nice. Second, I liked some good points that Kenny brought up with depth being helped. He brought up examples that if Dye or Thome had to sit out a couple days or even rest, we had more guys to plug in (then again, I haven't minded that as much though since I like Anderson and he could step in, him and Wise did a great job with Konerko out).

I still have worries though. None of this takes away from being injury prone and loss of speed (not being able to play CF for last 2 years), and as we've seen lately, bad defense is not fun for a pitcher. Some show said that Griffey told his best friend that he almost didn't approve it because he's nervous that he'll make a fool of himself in center. Also, I wonder how a guy like Konerko will take it (especially with certain quotes he's had in the past). Kenny says both Paul and Swisher understand, but he knows they aren't too happy with him, I wonder if the clubhouse becomes a media circus before the end of the season.

Adele_H
07-31-2008, 06:16 PM

All I personally wanted was Roy Halladay & a Furcal-esque dynamo LH lead-off hitter.

Griffey trade has me confuseded. :scratch:

That is all.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Regarding his ability to play Center, what are the essential elements to playing the position, and which of those are significantly diminished, at this point in Jr.'s career?

Reads
Range
Glove
Arm Strength
Arm Accuracy

Isn't it reasonable to assume that he can still be good, except in the Range factor? Of course he has slowed down considerably, but let's hope he can still be serviceable in Center. The Sox won't have a very good defensive outfield, except for the arms.

I was watching ESPN, and they had a clip of KW talking to reporters. KW said that in his opinion, CF is the easiest OF position to play from a health standpoint. He said that yes, it's challenging to have to go to both the right and the left, but then repeated that CF was the easiest OF position.

Two questions:

1. Is KW correct? Why would someone believe this?

2. Could this explain why the Sox as an organization seem to undervalue CF defense?

hawkjt
07-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Did you notice that kenny said that Thome has a slight groin pull right now and he is a little concerned about that flaring up.

Jr. is insurance. If nothing else he cost little and he can sit on the bench and be a pinch-hitter and the sox could put the same juggarnaut lineup out there as they have had all season. Wheres the downside?

Daver
07-31-2008, 06:23 PM
2. Could this explain why the Sox as an organization seem to undervalue CF defense?

It is already a known fact that the organization doesn't give much concern to defense.

sox1970
07-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Did you notice that kenny said that Thome has a slight groin pull right now and he is a little concerned about that flaring up.

Jr. is insurance. If nothing else he cost little and he can sit on the bench and be a pinch-hitter and the sox could put the same juggarnaut lineup out there as they have had all season. Wheres the downside?

Griffey will get some starts at DH. Sox have 55 games left, plus the suspended game. Thome is 169 PA's from his 09 option kicking in. Basically, Thome has to sit 15 games the rest of the way.

hawkjt
07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
I looked up the sox stats and for july...Jr would have been third on the team in RBI's with 19 behind only JD and Carlos.

If he does not work out,what have we lost? Not much.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I was watching ESPN, and they had a clip of KW talking to reporters. KW said that in his opinion, CF is the easiest OF position to play from a health standpoint. He said that yes, it's challenging to have to go to both the right and the left, but then repeated that CF was the easiest OF position.

Two questions:

1. Is KW correct? Why would someone believe this?

The fact that they put Mackowiak in CF for so many games tells you all you need to know about their philosophy.

I don't know how or why teams ignore the proven paths to success: Be strong up the middle. Get a great pitching staff, SS, 2B, and CF and you're building a great team. Put the power at the corners.

Griffey needs to be in RF or DH.

BRDSR
07-31-2008, 06:33 PM
If it's been posted in the first 1100 posts on this topic, I do apologize, but has any perused a Reds board on this trade? What are their thoughts? I actually feel like this is one of those trades that may really be right for everyone.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 06:33 PM
It is already a known fact that the organization doesn't give much concern to defense.

Well, we've known that for a while. But perhaps we have at least a partial explanation now.

What do you think of KW's explanation? Could you attempt to explain what would make him believe that?

Or do you think he was just B.S.-ing the media?

Marqhead
07-31-2008, 06:34 PM
I looked up the sox stats and for july...Jr would have been third on the team in RBI's with 19 behind only JD and Carlos.

If he does not work out,what have we lost? Not much.

I agree. From the surface it appears that the deal doesn't "make sense," I disagree with this, I think the Sox gave up two players who didn't appear to have a future with the organization for an insurance policy with a very good bat for our aging veterans. If it works out an Griffey provides any offense and helps us win a few games KW will look like a genius, if it fails the Sox haven't lost much and you can still say that KW tried.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree. From the surface it appears that the deal doesn't "make sense," I disagree with this, I think the Sox gave up two players who didn't appear to have a future with the organization for an insurance policy with a very good bat for our aging veterans. If it works out an Griffey provides any offense and helps us win a few games KW will look like a genius, if it fails the Sox haven't lost much and you can still say that KW tried.

At worst the Sox will have sold more tickets, concessions and parking, giving KW a little more money this offseason.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Griffey will get some starts at DH. Sox have 55 games left, plus the suspended game. Thome is 169 PA's from his 09 option kicking in. Basically, Thome has to sit 15 games the rest of the way.

I really believe that sitting Thome and preventing him from getting his 2009 $16-million contract vested was one of the motivating factors here. How could anyone complain that Thome was on the bench when the guy taking his spot has more HRs than him and is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame?

This may have been the only move out there that accomplishes that.

Daver
07-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, we've known that for a while. But perhaps we have at least a partial explanation now.

What do you think of KW's explanation? Could you attempt to explain what would make him believe that?

Or do you think he was just B.S.-ing the media?

Since when does Kenny say anything that isn't meant to throw the media off?

ms620
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM
For what its worth, Al Leiter on the Yankees pregame show said that in his opinion, you have to be faster to play RF than CF. He did not give an explanation, but he said that Griffey can still play CF, but that the Sox should not expect the Griffey from his Mariners days, which in his opinion might have been the greatest CF of all time.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Since when does Kenny say anything that isn't meant to throw the media off?

Well of course that's true.

I'd like your evaluation of KW's statement about CF being the "easiest OF position to play from a health standpoint," though.

Tragg
07-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Uribe and Cabrera free up 12 million; that's a good start.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 06:45 PM
For what its worth, Al Leiter on the Yankees pregame show said that in his opinion, you have to be faster to play RF than CF. He did not give an explanation, but he said that Griffey can still play CF, but that the Sox should not expect the Griffey from his Mariners days, which in his opinion might have been the greatest CF of all time.

Thanks for this tidbit. Did Leiter say why?

I understand the need for superior arm strength in RF, because of the need to throw to third base (LFs really don't need to throw to first), but don't understand why speed (more precisely, the ability to position yourself well, get good reads, and get to balls quickly) would be more important in RF than LF.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Uribe and Cabrera free up 12 million; that's a good start.

I had a strange thought last night. If Crede can't/won't re-sign with the Sox, what about Nick Punto at third base? He certainly hits for a good average and does all kinds of little things well with the bat. How does his defense compare with Fields' glovework?

Craig Grebeck
07-31-2008, 06:49 PM
At this point, why wouldn't anyone want Thome to be around next season?

Marqhead
07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
I had a strange thought last night. If Crede can't/won't re-sign with the Sox, what about Nick Punto at third base? He certainly hits for a good average and does all kinds of little things well with the bat. How does his defense compare with Fields' glovework?
You should be banned for this thought...

sox1970
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM

If Konerko, Dye, and Swisher are going to be on the 2009 White Sox, Thome can't be here.

Tragg
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
I would say that we need a run producer at either first or third. So at the very least, it depends on what happens at first

kitekrazy
07-31-2008, 06:52 PM

Let's see how he ends this season first.

btrain929
07-31-2008, 06:52 PM

I would, but only if his option is restructured ala Uribe this past offseason. I'd have him back and 7 million a year every year until he retires. Whether or not that's something he wants to do is another question. But I doubt in the last years of his career and wants to bounce around from team to team on 1 year deals just to make an extra million or so here and there.

btrain929
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
It's gonna be pretty damn sweet seeing Griffey pimp his 1st HR with the left arm in the arm at the 'Cell as a member of the White Sox.....

Craig Grebeck
07-31-2008, 07:03 PM
If Konerko, Dye, and Swisher are going to be on the 2009 White Sox, Thome can't be here.
Okay, then find a way to lose Konerko. I don't see why Thome would get the boot when he's outproducing two of them.

getonbckthr
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
For the Thome bashers we will be paying him 8 million next season to play for us or like 3.5 to leave.

Craig Grebeck
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
God help me.

Daver
07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Well of course that's true.

I'd like your evaluation of KW's statement about CF being the "easiest OF position to play from a health standpoint," though.

If you take it in the context of how it was said, he is correct, he said "from a health standpoint CF is the easiest of the OF positions" which is true, you never have to worry about running into a corner or foul territory.

champagne030
07-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Remember how JD looked out there at the beginning of this season, a little sluggish and slow like he had lost a step? That was Griffey last year. Don't even ask about this year.

That would still be about 9 steps ahead of how Konerko has looked this season.

Reads
Range
Glove
Arm Strength
Arm Accuracy

He's still better than Swisher at all of those things. My only concern is if he can do it for 3 more months without breaking down.

I would, but only if his option is restructured ala Uribe this past offseason. I'd have him back and 7 million a year every year until he retires. Whether or not that's something he wants to do is another question. But I doubt in the last years of his career and wants to bounce around from team to team on 1 year deals just to make an extra million or so here and there.

Are you able to handle $7.5M next season? That's what it looks like he'll cost us if he meets the AB's.

manders_01
07-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Why does this **** always happen when I'm nowhere near a computer?!?!?! :gah:

My client informed me of the trade while we were walking around his building. I thought he was pulling my leg. Knowing how big of a Sox fan I am, he was a little disappointed he gave me the scope. I was too. :(:

pczarapa
07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
I wonder if Griffey can pitch

Dabchsx28
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
we don't need another picture we have o dotel who can't get it done on a pressure situation

DickAllen72
07-31-2008, 10:24 PM
we don't need another picture we have o dotel who can't get it done on a pressure situation
:rolleyes: Oh, please.

asindc
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
:scratch:

ChiSoxFan7
08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
a few questions to the board...

one) do you think he will/capable pull a abreu of 2 years ago turn around....

two) does he play next year...if so here?

three) does he play tonight and who's on first...(what's one second and so forth....hooray lame allusions!)

surfdudes
08-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Griffrey will have his moments in center. That being said, Konerko is batting .200 , and is still slower around the bases than an old/injured Griffey. When was the last time Pauly went from 1st to 3rd on a single? I'm tired of carrying him in hopes of getting his bat going while all he does is kill rallies and end innings. Good move on KW's part for taking action to keep us in first. We did not give up much for him, and he will add some pop. Go Sox!

Lip Man 1
08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Interesting:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1085195,accu073108.article

Lip

whitesox901
08-02-2008, 01:22 PM
does Griffy return in '09? and if so does he DH? or does Paul have that slot?