PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Nick Masset & Danny Richar Appreciation Thread

doublem23
07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_434665.jpg http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_462950.jpg

That start against the Cubs last year was awesome.

hawkjt
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Richar showed some nice athleticism last year at second. REally disapointed with his showing this year..injuries and all. I thought he was the future but now Getz and Beckham look better.

Masset, I think has a good arm and will miss him down the road.

Good luck to both. Do not come back to haunt tho.

cleanwsox
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Thank you for being good enough to get us Griffey Jr. for 2 months.

turners56
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Masset had some good moments.

His start vs. the Cubs last year where he beat Zambrano.
His 4 inning relief on opening day.
His performance in San Francisco with bases loaded and nobody out in the 8th, but somehow got out of it with a lead while throwing 3 double play balls in the process.

Let's hope Griffey brings more.

stacksedwards
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Masset will get a ring next April

kjhanson
07-31-2008, 11:01 AM
His performance in San Francisco with bases loaded and nobody out in the 8th, but somehow got out of it with a lead while throwing 3 double play balls in the process.

Gotta love those six out innings!

Really though, that was his best performance I can remember. That was a game we certainly did not want to give away.

schmitty9800
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Richar showed some nice athleticism last year at second. REally disapointed with his showing this year..injuries and all. I thought he was the future but now Getz and Beckham look better.

Good luck to both. Do not come back to haunt tho.

John Shelby could also be interesting if he improves his plate discpline.

Sockinchisox
07-31-2008, 11:12 AM
That game tying HR against the Angels to set up Thome's 500th HR was cool, thanks Danny.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
The only thing I appreciate about Masset is that he's finally gone. Have fun getting lit up in Cinci Nick!

CashMan
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM

Masset is a SP not a RP. That is why I think he did not flourish with his time with the Sox.

JGarlandrules20
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Nick, thanks for contributing to the team! There were so many questions about him making it for that long relief spot but he proved he belonged here. He not only saved some arms, he did a pretty successful job at it. Even though we ended up losing opening day, keeping us in it was huge.
And thanks for chatting with me at the zoo for a few seconds. It was probably the first time I didn't sound like a spazz around a player. :P

Danny.. sorry you've had tough breaks. Hopefully you get everything sorted out and you turn out to be a solid second basemen. :smile:

oeo
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Masset is a SP not a RP. That is why I think he did not flourish with his time with the Sox.

Exactly. That's why he was expendable too. It became apparent that Masset was not made for a relief role, but he did however find success while spot starting.

I think he'll be a good back-of-the-rotation guy for the Reds. Just keep owning the Cubs.

thomas35forever
07-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Masset did quite a bit for us. Richar was a two-month wonder when we were sucking. Good luck to both though.

CashMan
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Exactly. That's why he was expendable too. It became apparent that Masset was not made for a relief role, but he did however find success while spot starting.

I think he'll be a good back-of-the-rotation guy for the Reds. Just keep owning the Cubs.

With Dusty dudemanbro Baker as your manager, I don't think any player can be successful.

Soxfanspcu11
07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm a little sad to see Masset go. As others in this thread have pointed out, he did have some nice moments in a Sox uniform. My personal favorite was when he got that spot start at the urinal back in 2007. With the Sox on the verge of being swept, he sucked it up and went head to head against the scrubs best pitcher. And despite all the pressure and the fact that he did not have much experience, he did more than hold his own. That was a really nice moment.

And some of the other moments as well that have already been mentioned on this board.

So, like I said, I am a little bit sad to see Masset go.

However, the same can not be said for Richar. I never warmed up to Richar on any level. I don't know why. Maybe because it was really impossible to warm up to him for any reason. He was a decent 2nd baseman on the defensive side of the ball but just could not cut it at the plate. He looked like a pitcher trying to bat. It was hard to watch.

So, a little sad to see Masset go, don't give a **** about Richar one way or the other and TOTALLY HAPPY & PUMPED to see Mr. Ken Griffey Jr. coming to the White Sox!!! LET'S GET AFTER IT!! ANOTHER WORLD SERIES CROWN THIS YEAR BABY!!!!!:):bandance::gulp:

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
I liked Richar. Masset helped earlier this year. Richar hopefully has a nice career somewhere, and Masset should be a back end starter in the National League. Good luck.

PhillipsBubba
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for being just good enough to be of interest to somebody else

VeeckAsInWreck
07-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for being just good enough to be of interest to somebody else

I love backhanded compliments! :thumbsup:

Tragg
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I liked Richar a lot. But he's replacable - and his best skill, obp , doesn't really have a place with this field staff.

esbrechtel
07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Never was a masset fan....Didn't mind richar but with the Getz love and TCM on the books and if they ever sign Beckham there is a log jam in the middle infield

Bucky F. Dent
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Last week at an Indy Indians v. Charlotte Kinghts game Richar tossed a ball to my son. In that moment he became my favorite sox player, and now he's gone!:whiner:

In all honesty, it was a truly cool thing for him to do for my son. I wish him all the best.

kitekrazy
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM

Funny how some fans can be rough on a young pitcher. Not everyone starts out like Gavin Floyd. I guess they forgot about Jon Garland.

PaleHoser
07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I wish them both nothing but the best. I hope they both torment the Cubs!

kittle42
07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Funny how some fans can be rough on a young pitcher. Not everyone starts out like Gavin Floyd. I guess they forgot about Jon Garland.

Gavin Floyd doesn't even start out like Gavin Floyd - he stunk with the Phils.

areilly
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I remember one time last year, just as the Sox began accelerating their descent towards the bottom, there was a series against the Royals where Danny Richar hit home runs in back-to-back games. And I only remember this because the email from White Sox ticketing specifically mentioned it the next week.

And I also remember making fun of this to no end, as though the best thing to happen all week were a pair of home runs by a rookie second baseman who would go on to hit six all year. Richar's home runs made the difference in those games, both of which the Sox won. They finished that month 9-20.

For two glorious days that August, Danny Adam Richar, you were this team's biggest home run threat and for a month you were the direct cause of nearly a third of its victories. May the NL Central feel your wrath into eternity.

WhiteSox5187
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I saw Masset get his first win and I saw Richar get his first hit. Thanks for the memories. Now hurry, your plane is boarding soon.

Jerome
07-31-2008, 01:33 PM
I think both can be solid contributors and was looking forward to seeing them as part of the future of this team.

That said, I am :):bandance: over Griffey Jr.

IronFisk
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM

Garland is who came to my mind regarding Masset - had some impressive numbers but never achieved true "ace" status. I think he'll turn out to be a serviceable starter, but not much more with the Reds. Maybe could have taken over for Jose, but since we have a shot this year...good move!

munchman33
07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I liked Richar and still think he'll be a good player. Good luck.

soxpride724
07-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Take care Danny and Nick! :gulp:

DumpJerry
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Good luck guys, you'll do well there.

Thank you Kenny for not trading Masset to an AL team.

doublem23
07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Garland is who came to my mind regarding Masset - had some impressive numbers but never achieved true "ace" status. I think he'll turn out to be a serviceable starter, but not much more with the Reds. Maybe could have taken over for Jose, but since we have a shot this year...good move!

Nick Masset will be very lucky to turn into Jon Garland.

turners56
07-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Gotta love those six out innings!

Really though, that was his best performance I can remember. That was a game we certainly did not want to give away.

He really did throw 3 double play balls. The Sox didn't turn any of them though.

lzerante
07-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for what? Besides, the one guy whose boy had a nice moment with Masset - or if your family with them, thanks for nothing - literally - hope you make it.

This thread is ridiculous.

IronFisk
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM

True, but I was never much of a Garland fan - a tad too inconsistent IMO.

Soxfest
07-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Masset was ok...........Never liked Richar glad he is gonzo!

KyWhiSoxFan
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Well, both are going to be in my area, and the Lexington papers give a lot of coverage to the Reds, so I'll be keeping close tabs on them.

If Masset turns into Don Gullett and Richar into Joe Morgan, I'll give everyone a heads up.

Adele_H
07-31-2008, 06:18 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_434665.jpg http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_462950.jpg

That start against the Cubs last year was awesome.

I had Alexei-Richar as our DP combo of the future

(with one of Fields/Beckham as a 3B).

Shows what the hell do I know.:?:

CashMan
07-31-2008, 08:14 PM

Does anyone know Masset's spot starts stats?

BRDSR
07-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for what? Besides, the one guy whose boy had a nice moment with Masset - or if your family with them, thanks for nothing - literally - hope you make it.

Could you clarify this post? The first and third sentence are more or less comprehensible, but the middle one is both "absord" and "ridiculous."

Strangely, my favorite Masset moment was a White Sox loss: this year's Opening Day in Cleveland. That was a downright ballsy 4.1 innings to give the Sox a chance to win the game. It's probably more memorable because it was Opening Day, but still.

As for Richar...by the time he was playing regularly, I had just gotten married, moved across the country, and started law school. I missed most of his good and bad moments.

All the best to both in the NL.

Bucky F. Dent
07-31-2008, 09:30 PM

You could always skip the thread, and my kid had a nice moment with Richar.

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2008, 10:42 PM
The only thing I appreciate about Masset is that he's finally gone. Have fun getting lit up in Cinci Nick!

Love Your Suit Loves Your Post.

Please Nick, take Boone with you.

RedlegJake
08-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for this thread - it gives a Reds fan and new White Sox fan a nice fans' perspective on the return for Junior. Frankly - I'm surprised but maybe the fact the Reds pick up the balance of Junior's salary got a better deal for us. Richar's minor league stats indicate he IS an OBP animal with a little pop although that doesn't seem to have translated so far to the majors. Masset looks like a possible back of rotation guy for the Reds but I'm concerned that someone who throws as hard as he does has never had much of a strikeout rate - even in the minors. GAB can be the devil for pitchers - I wonder if he'll survive the "Homer Home on the Ohio"?

Hopefully Junior helps in the Sox pennant run and the Reds new additions find a place in Cincy. Mostly, though, I just hope Junior gets his ring!