PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe this is on ABC News' Web site

jamteh
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
This article (http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=5482372&page=1)covers just about all the stereotypical subjects in one place. Wow. :mad:

You're telling me they couldn't find a professor on the South Side to talk about the Sox? They quote a guy from Nevada?!?!

chaerulez
07-31-2008, 10:15 AM
I think it was B&B I was listening to last year and they were laughing at the stupid stereotype and how the income of the average Cubs and Sox fan differed at about $1,000 a year. Yeah, a class war alright.

Edit: This line of thinking is as ignorant and stupid as how the Bears having this tough hard working class fanbase and that's why Bear football is defense and running.

Desert Rat
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh no. I'm not an ethnic, minority blue collar guy. And I live outside Chicago. I better go buy a Cubs hat before I get caught. Or lose an eye.....

kjhanson
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
I think it was B&B I was listening to last year and they were laughing at the stupid stereotype and how the income of the average Cubs and Sox fan differed at about $1,000 a year. Yeah, a class war alright.

I posted an article here about three years ago that looked at the demographics of Sox and Cubs fans. To my knowledge, that was the most in-depth study ever done on the differences between Cubs and Sox fans. What were the results? The fans were nearly identical in almost every aspect. And when it came to income, White Sox fans earned slightly more than Cubs fans.

SouthSideSid
07-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Nice that the article brings up 1919 because I know how the baseball world still obsesses over that one.

Now I have to go pick up my government check right after I brush my tooth.

Jeez.

Luke
07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
I posted an article here about three years ago that looked at the demographics of Sox and Cubs fans. To my knowledge, that was the most in-depth study ever done on the differences between Cubs and Sox fans. What were the results? The fans were nearly identical in almost every aspect. And when it came to income, White Sox fans earned slightly more than Cubs fans.

I thought the exact same thing when I read that. I think that study was in the Sun Times, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I recall the same thing as everyone; the fan bases were nearly identical in every demographic.

The real question is why was an expert from Nevada quoted on this? Dumb article.

FedEx227
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Can someone spare this minority, working-class individual some change?

skottyj242
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
I have a mullett.

chaerulez
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I went to the Sunday night Cubs vs. Sox game at the Cell this year. I saw plenty of minorities, but this might be a shock to ABC News, but they were pretty evenly split between what team they were rooting for.

chaerulez
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Also I don't know how "working class" people could afford the full season ticket plans of any MLB team, so the several thousand full season ticket holders we have must have won the lottery or something to afford them.

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Good comments on the bottom

white sox bill
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Wasn't it actually the Cubune that published the story on the marginal differences between Sox/cub fans? About 3 yrs ago IIRC

Optipessimism
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Haha, that professor sounds like one of those professional experts. He should be on CNN in five minutes to discuss the economy, then in an hour he'll be taping a Sci-Fi show about UFOs, then he'll talk about the Civil War on the History Channel after lunch, and before the day is over he'll give an interview for Vogue magazine about weight loss problems women face.

Just another idiot in a suit.

UofCSoxFan
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
This article (http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=5482372&page=1)covers just about all the stereotypical subjects in one place. Wow. :mad:

You're telling me they couldn't find a professor on the South Side to talk about the Sox? They quote a guy from Nevada?!?!

I don't think there are any good universities on the South Side. :tongue:

russ99
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
While this article is full of bad generalizations, I kinda like the whole "Working Class Sox" us vs. the world mentality. Except that it hasn't been true since the time of our fathers or grandfathers, depending on your age.

Jason82807
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Who calls it the Windy City Showdown?
This socioeconomic thing may have been the case 100 years ago, but if you still believe this you havenít been to a White Sox or Cubs game in the last 30 years.

skottyj242
07-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Who calls it the Windy City Showdown?
This socioeconomic thing may have been the case 100 years ago, but if you still believe this you havenít been to a White Sox or Cubs game in the last 30 years.

It used to be called the Windy City Classic.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
It used to be called the Windy City Classic.

http://fabien.herbaut.free.fr/images/Abraham_Simpson.png

Nickels used to be called "Bees", back in those days you'd say give me five bees for a quarter!

kitekrazy
07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Edit: This line of thinking is as ignorant and stupid as how the Bears having this tough hard working class fanbase and that's why Bear football is defense and running.

That's almost as bad as Bear weather.

Fans of teams that don't have a franchise QB like to refer to their team as a "blue collar" team.

kitekrazy
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM

I liked Lee Elia's "study" much better.

kitekrazy
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Haha, that professor sounds like one of those professional experts. He should be on CNN in five minutes to discuss the economy, then in an hour he'll be taping a Sci-Fi show about UFOs, then he'll talk about the Civil War on the History Channel after lunch, and before the day is over he'll give an interview for Vogue magazine about weight loss problems women face.

Just another idiot in a suit.

That's my summation of about 90% of the professors out there.

Cuck the Fubs
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
What a terrible, terrible article :angry:

More fuel on the fire, good job :angry:

Railsplitter
07-31-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a mullett.
I don't

TommyJohn
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think there are any good universities on the South Side. :tongue:

Welllll.......There's that one where a bunch of employees keep winning something called a "Nobel"....they split the atom there, too...something tells me you attend there...:redneck

rwcescato
07-31-2008, 03:39 PM
While this article is full of bad generalizations, I kinda like the whole "Working Class Sox" us vs. the world mentality. Except that it hasn't been true since the time of our fathers or grandfathers, depending on your age.

Now I know I have to go get a tatoo and mullet hair. i forgot I have no hair. Wait lets go find 1 fan and take 3 guys and beat him up. its ok because he's a cub fan.

MiamiSpartan
08-01-2008, 07:12 AM
...and they never mention the 2005 WS Title...:angry:

TommyJohn
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
...and they never mention the 2005 WS Title...:angry:

It's been erased from history....never happened...

spongyfungy
08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
playing right into the "stepchild" stereotype. ignore and move on

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Apparently I fit the sterotype pretty well...no job...no school...Im a degenerate and my love for the White Sox is all that is keeping me alive....

What a load of ****...I guess Mayor Daley is a **** up too....