PDA

View Full Version : Manny on verge of trede to...

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 07:13 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=965
The Florida Marlins? Wow. New favorite in the NL East? Boston- Pirate deal far away?

DrGiggles
07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Very Interesting.

soxfanreggie
07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Wouldn't this double the Marlins payroll, even with the money they gave Hanley Ramirez?

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Wouldn't this double the Marlins payroll, even with the money they gave Hanley Ramirez?
The 3 prospects would indicate Boston picking up all the salary due for the season.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 07:24 PM

The Red Sox would pay the remainder of Manny's salary.

munchman33
07-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Thank God it's not the Twins.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Could a mod please change my odd and moronic speeling of trade.

Daver
07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Could a mod please change my odd and moronic speeling of trade.

Nope your stuck with it for spelling spelling wrong.

But don't worry, no one will notice it anyway I'm sure.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 07:57 PM

I'm on fire tonight!!!:D:

oeo
07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I still don't get how the Red Sox think they're going to be better without Manny. That would be a killer to their lineup.

But whatever, I'll take a weakened AL team.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I still don't get how the Red Sox think they're going to be better without Manny. That would be a killer to their lineup.

But whatever, I'll take a weakened AL team.
Bay won't replace Manny statistically but they must really want him gone.

oeo
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Bay won't replace Manny statistically but they must really want him gone.

Nor will just his mere presence. Manny is the heart and soul of that lineup.

kittle42
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM

:tongue:

Martinigirl
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
You know the headline when the trade is done with be "Manny being Manny in Miami"

Daver
07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
:tongue:

Yeah, but should I choose to I could fix my post and your quote, then you would look silly.

oeo
07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
If this goes through, who thinks the Red Sox will be the odd team out in the East?

:yoohoo:
I do.

soxwon
07-30-2008, 09:40 PM
A cub fann friemd of mine said the Cubs biggest nightmare is Florida-Milwaukee and Arizona in the playoffs along with themselves.

Harry Potter
07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
latest rumor now has Manny to the Marlins, Jason Bay to the Red Sox, and Jeremy Hermida to Pittsburgh.

the1tab
07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
latest rumor now has Manny to the Marlins, Jason Bay to the Red Sox, and Jeremy Hermida to Pittsburgh.

Makes great sense for Pittsbugh & nobody else. Jason Bay, for as much as he looks like Lex Luthor on Smallville, is not a spectacular outfielder and is more streaky than JD Drew... the BoSox would be overwhelmingly exposed to the Bad Week Syndrome from a roster w/ Drew & Bay carrying Papi. The Marlins renting Manny on a young, impressionable team, would be a worst case scenario. I'm sure it's a great idea to put in front of guys like Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla a guy who has been a Dominican Jack Sparrow getting by on god-level ability for the past decade.

Pull the trigger. See what happens. I would be intrigued to see what arms went where to seal this proposed deal.

Lukin13
07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Why would the Marlins do this???

Why rent Manny when you actually could convince me that Hermida will outproduce Manny the rest of the way... or at least put up similar numbers?

The fish must be trying to sell tickets..... or get sole negotiating rights.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Boston is getting Grabow and possibly Jack Wilson in the deal as well.

TomParrish79
07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Will never happen

A. Cavatica
07-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Just as long as we don't trede Joe Crade for him.

Britt Burns
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Manny stuck in Miami...I love it. He'd go from being a big fish in a big pond to a big Fish in an empty pond.

the1tab
07-30-2008, 10:14 PM
from MLB Rumor Mill:

8:50pm: Will Carroll believes (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967) the Commissioner's Office has been informed of a Red Sox-Pirates-Marlins trade even though the teams haven't agreed on the prospects. Here's how he sees it:
Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (BOS), and cash (likely Ramirezís remaining salary)
Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two FLO, one BOS)
Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Intriguing....

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Manny stuck in Miami...I love it. He'd go from being a big fish in a big pond to a big Fish in an empty pond.
A) Manny will bring fans to the ballpark.
B) Manny will push the Marlins to 1st place.

munchman33
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
from MLB Rumor Mill:

8:50pm: Will Carroll believes (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967) the Commissioner's Office has been informed of a Red Sox-Pirates-Marlins trade even though the teams haven't agreed on the prospects. Here's how he sees it:
Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (BOS), and cash (likely Ramirezís remaining salary)
Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two FLO, one BOS)
Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

Intriguing....

Marlins just pulled Mike Jacobs from the middle of the game, so maybe the players are wrong.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Marlins just pulled Mike Jacobs from the middle of the game, so maybe the players are wrong.
I saw Jacobs linked somewhere else I wanna say either Fuentes or Sherrill.

Viva Medias B's
07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Per the Marlins postgame show, Peter Gammons has said the deal is "still unlikely to happen." I am not sure what that means.

the1tab
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I saw Jacobs linked somewhere else I wanna say either Fuentes or Sherrill.

I could see the Pirates moving Adam LaRoche as a left-handed bat to a contender and adding Jacobs at first if he was part of an uber-blockbuster.

Intriguing to see how many people watch who starts & finishes a game more than the game itself...

Viva Medias B's
07-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Now that I think of it, could Manny (10 and 5 man) kill the whole thing if he has no desire to play in South Florida?

Meanwhile, 790 the Ticket, is quoting Will Carroll who is saying (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967) the "deal is done."

the1tab
07-30-2008, 11:06 PM

After Pudge went to the Yankees it appears the Marlins are still in the market for a starting catcher and may be moving Jacobs to San Fran for Bengie Molina.

That would be a fantastic deal in the mold of SELL AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE for San Francisco. Jacobs is a nice young 1B.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 11:12 PM
So its Carroll vs Gammons.

Viva Medias B's
07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Palm Beach Post reports (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/30/0730ramirez.html) a "tenative agreement" has been reached.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Per the Marlins postgame show, Peter Gammons has said the deal is "still unlikely to happen." I am not sure what that means.
Earlier in the night he was saying that the potential deal became a lot more interesting and that the Red Sox were fed up with Manny while Steve Phillips kept trying to say everything would work out in the end...since Peter Gammons is the Red Sox front office as Hawk is to ours, I certainly think Manny will be gone soon. But if he is reporting the deal with Miami is dead, I'm not sure what to think.

DSpivack
07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Earlier in the night he was saying that the potential deal became a lot more interesting and that the Red Sox were fed up with Manny while Steve Phillips kept trying to say everything would work out in the end...since Peter Gammons is the Red Sox front office as Hawk is to ours, I certainly think Manny will be gone soon. But if he is reporting the deal with Miami is dead, I'm not sure what to think.

It doesn't seem he's reporting it's dead, I think he's saying that a deal like that has enormous complexity to it, and thus the odds for completing it in so short a window are pretty long.

Fenway
07-31-2008, 12:15 AM
it is a cat and mouse game now and it is in the hands of Boras and Manny

Manny has to agree to the deal and Florida won't pull the trigget until the 2009 option is triggered. Boston is rumored to be willing to pay the Marlins close to 17M on this year and next.

Obviously Boston won't trigger the option until Manny agrees to trade.

Manny lives in South Florida so that SHOULD make him happy.

Lest we forget the Marlins are still very much alive in the NL EAST

Boston wants him gone

DSpivack
07-31-2008, 12:16 AM
it is a cat and mouse game now and it is in the hands of Boras and Manny

Manny has to agree to the deal and Florida won't pull the trigget until the 2009 option is triggered. Boston is rumored to be willing to pay the Marlins close to 17M on this year and next.

Obviously Boston won't trigger the option until Manny agrees to trade.

Manny lives in South Florida so that SHOULD make him happy.

Lest we forget the Marlins are still very much alive in the NL EAST

Boston wants him gone

Wait, so this would mean he'd be under contract for 2009 for the Marlins?

ChiSoxGirl
07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Palm Beach Post reports (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/30/0730ramirez.html) a "tenative agreement" has been reached.

I"m kinda surprised the Marlins would want to taint their clubhouse with the likes of this tool. To me, it just doesn't seem like Manny would be a good fit.

Then again, from what I saw of Marlins fans a week & a half ago, a lot of them seem pretty oblivious and very well may welcome him with open arms, just as Giants fans welcomed and embraced baseball's other gigantic tool.

getonbckthr
07-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Apparently its Pittsburgh holding the deal up. Florida and Boston want it done and they may begin look elsewhere. Top of my head possibilities: Seattle (Ibanez), SF (Winn), Texas (Bradley), KC (Guillen, Dejesus), Reds (Dunn, Griffey), Padres (Giles), Braves (Franceur, Kotsay), A's (Brown, Cust)

Fenway
07-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Wait, so this would mean he'd be under contract for 2009 for the Marlins?

That seems to be the deal on table.

In this case Marlins would get Manny for 1 year and 2 months for only 10 million.

Of course if Boras really thinks he can get Manny 4 years @ 25M Manny will not agree.

palehozenychicty
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
That seems to be the deal on table.

In this case Marlins would get Manny for 1 year and 2 months for only 10 million.

Of course if Boras really thinks he can get Manny 4 years @ 25M Manny will not agree.

:o:If the Marlins can get him for $10 million, they'd be fools to not do that. Then again, the Pirates are in the mix, which is a bad omen in itself.

But if the Pirates nix it, then where else would they go?

russ99
07-31-2008, 12:34 PM
I"m kinda surprised the Marlins would want to taint their clubhouse with the likes of this tool. To me, it just doesn't seem like Manny would be a good fit.

Then again, from what I saw of Marlins fans a week & a half ago, a lot of them seem pretty oblivious and very well may welcome him with open arms, just as Giants fans welcomed and embraced baseball's other gigantic tool.

Yeah, but a change of scene may do him wonders.

I just have a gut feeling that Boston is sinking their ship by doing this. Jason Bay is a really good player, but even Manny with an attitude is better than him, plus they still have concerns about Papi's injured wrist.

If the Red Sox somehow come out of this and make the postseason, I'd have a lot less confidence in a guy like Bay who's never been in the playoffs before. Well, they'll just get swept by the Sox in the first round again. :tongue:

guillen4life13
07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
As a bit of a Marlins fan myself (they're my NL team), I'm excited about this. One thing you can say is that, for all of the "Manny being Manny" talk, they guy's work ethic has never been questioned. He shows up to the park early and takes more than his share of BP. He's a professional hitter, and I don't think he's going to hurt a guy like Hanley (maybe even help him with some hitting tips).