PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Rodriguez traded to the Yankees

Jjav829
07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Per Buster Olney.

CHIsoxNation
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Nice move for the Yanks.

Wonder what Detroit is getting in return. I thought Ivan was having a pretty decent year.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow. :?:

Really? Really?!

They were fine with Molina and Moeller. I guess Hank couldn't help himself........:rolleyes:

It's Dankerific
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Giambi and I-Rod? They dont want Bonds because WHY?

JermaineDye05
Does this mean the Tigers are going with Brandon Inge at catcher? Pending on who the Tigers get in return, I wonder if this is a sort of rebuilding move. I would assume the Tigers got young pitching in return. I still don't understand the Renteria move, they had an alright short stop in Guillen and had some pretty good offense too. They sure could use Jurrjens right about now.

Jjav829
Apparently the Tigers are receiving Kyle Farnsworth in return...again.

doublem23
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM

:?:

Dombrowski = :whiteflag:

JermaineDye05
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM

I hear the Twinks are going to give them Craig Monroe back for Miguel Cabrera.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM

linkee (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/29/heyman.tradeblog/index.html?eref=T1)

That's all I can do about this one. Why not just bring back Bonds and Clemens?

Simmons said that they could neutralize each other on the back pages. :D:

spiffie
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Inge is hitting just 20 OPS points lower than Rodriguez at catcher. The benefit to their awful bullpen is greater than the slight loss of offense the hit to their defense. Or at least its equal I think.

thomas35forever
07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
See ya, I-Roid. We won't miss you in the Central.

downstairs
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Inge is hitting just 20 OPS points lower than Rodriguez at catcher. The benefit to their awful bullpen is greater than the slight loss of offense the hit to their defense. Or at least its equal I think.

Yeah. This isn't a white flag move. IRod is in the last year of his contract too.

PennStater98r
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
See ya, I-Roid. We won't miss you in the Central.

Wow - who closes for Detroit now?

Thigpen "57"
07-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow!!

This one came out of left field if it is true. Doesn't surprise me that the Spankees acquired him. I am more surprised that Detroit would trade his great "leadership". Seriously, I thought Detroit was going to be in this thing.

I guess Detroit could still be in it against our boys in black, just like the Twins have all year. Wow.

DSpivack
Wow - who closes for Detroit now?

Rodney still, I doubt Farnsworth would close.

Optipessimism
Cool. Losing I-Roid should hurt Detroit in the compensation pick department and adding Farnsworth isn't going to help them this year at all. Me likely.

And go Yanks! Knock those Red Sox out of the playoffs (but let TB win the division).

oeo
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM

So Dombrowski is trying to help the bullpen, but just made his team weaker by trading Rodriguez.

Hmm...he's questionable. Sounds a lot like making a move for the sake of making a move. Hopefully Kenny doesn't follow suit.

FedEx227
07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
What a bad deal for the Tigers. Whatever, their loss, just hope Sunken Cheeks doesn't help the Yanks top the Rays.

btrain929
07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
IRoid out of the Central. Good. Man, did I hate that prick.

PicktoCLick72
07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Did not see this coming. Very interesting.

Tragg
07-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Really? Geeze.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
All of a sudden, the AL Central is a two horse race.

Enjoy the Bronx Ivan. For your own sake, don't slump.

FloridaTigers
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
So much for going to the Hall as a Tiger. It was possible. :(:

I'm annoyed all we got was Farnsworth. Sure, he did beat down some Royals, but I don't know. I wanted some young pitching. Can Farnsworth give this BP a boost?

oeo
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM

I'm annoyed all we got was Farnsworth. Sure, he did beat down some Royals, but I don't know. I wanted some young pitching. Can Farnsworth give this BP a boost?

Maybe a little bit, but the question is, who gives them a better chance to win? I know a lot of Tigers fans wanted him shipped out, but he really wasn't having a bad season. And what better options do they have at catcher?

It's just a move that doesn't make much sense.

Chez
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Strange move by the Tigers. So strange that I think there may be more to come out of Detroit. It's way too early and the Tigers are way to close for them to be waving the white flag.

twsoxfan5
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I really dont think this hurts them all that much, but I think the question is are they going to make more moves now?

voodoochile
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Fields, Richards, Anderson/Owens and Richar/Getz for Granderson...

I mean if they're trading off players, what the heck...:tongue:

ondafarm
07-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Interesting proposal.

MeteorsSox4367
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Just wondering what jersey number Rodriguez will wear with the Yankees. He was No. 7 in Texas and Detroit, but the Yankees retired No. 7 for some guy named Mantle.

Maybe 77?

Chicken Dinner
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Just what the Yanks need, another Rodriguez.

btrain929
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Interesting proposal.

On Xbox...

You don't think the Tigers would seriously consider that, do you?

soxinem1
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Just what the Yanks need, another Rodriguez.

http://pixhost.eu/avaxhome/avaxhome/2008-02-07/peach_161.jpg

This will probably be playing in the Yankmees clubhouse tonight!!!

cleanwsox
07-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I, A, and K Rod coming soon to a playoff series near you..

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Motownsports seems less than thrilled with this.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Incredible. The Yankees get whomever they want, whenever they need it.

Funny how they never seem to have trouble making deals and their farm system doesn't appear to have a lot of world beaters either.

Lip

asindc
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM

Well, we can dream...

Oblong
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I think there's more to this than just a straight up trade to improve the team. He had a no trade clause. Local radio said he wanted out. He was basically a platoon player with Inge now. They'll also save $3 million in salary costs and with the high payroll they were probably counting on a couple of playoff games for revenue. It could have simply been a money thing. Dombrowski's also the President and CEO of the team so he does have that side to answer for.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's another minor move.

I wasn't surprised he was dealt.
I'm just shocked it was for Farnsworth.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Interesting proposal.

On Xbox...

Oblong or FloridaTigers, what would the Tigers want in return for Granderson?

Oblong
07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Oblong or FloridaTigers, what would the Tigers want in return for Granderson?

From the Sox? Without knowing the system too well I'd start with Danks at the ML level. Because of his age and contract status I don't see him being moved or floated unless we're talking bigger packages that would include the top young players in the game. It'd have to be a sexy offer.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-30-2008, 05:19 PM

I can see from Detroit's standpoint why they did not like this: they didn't get much. Plus, it all but means they're throwing in the towel and dumping salary.

From the Yankees' standpoint, this is a great trade. With Posada out, this is exactly what they need, and they gave nothing. It sets up NY as the big threat to win the division or the wild card. Boston is in trouble.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Awesome, he always seemed to kill us.

Foulke You
07-30-2008, 05:28 PM
From the Sox? Without knowing the system too well I'd start with Danks at the ML level. Because of his age and contract status I don't see him being moved or floated unless we're talking bigger packages that would include the top young players in the game. It'd have to be a sexy offer.
I'm not even a Tigers fan and I can tell you that getting Granderson to the Sox is a pipe dream. He is a young stud and signed cheap. Add the fact that the White Sox are a division rival and Granderson could haunt them for years to come on our team and it would take a king's ransom for them to trade with us. Probably would take Danks, Richard, and Poreda just to start the conversation with Detroit.

Hey Oblong, who is the backup catcher in Detroit now that Inge is the everyday guy? Also, who is the odd man out in the bullpen since Farnsworth has returned?

Thigpen "57"
07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Incredible. The Yankees get whomever they want, whenever they need it.
Lip

For real. That Damaso and Nady trade seemed like a laugher.

Not that I think Putz Rodridguez is as good now as he once artificially was, but this seems like a steal for the Yanks after losing their best catcher since Munson (dare I say maybe better??).

Oblong
07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
They called up Dane Sardhina, who was the backup when Inge when on the DL a few weeks ago.

I think Yankee fans may end up being disappointed. Rodriguez isn't having a bad year but I believe it's due to him not playing every day. IF he plays every day then I think his production will go down.

For the bullpen? Maybe Fossum.

Buster Olney said he was becoming a clubhous "issue". Don't know if it's true but it certainly wouldn't be the first time. Rumors are he physically went after Trammell in 2005. After that I've always had a bit of a sour attitude toward him.

voodoochile
07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
On Xbox...

Unfortunately no, but I couldn't type Contreras and Crede with a straight face...

KyWhiSoxFan
07-30-2008, 05:40 PM

I can see from Detroit fans' standpoint why they didn't like this: they didn't get much. Plus, it is a sign that the team is all but throwing in the towel and dumping salary.

From the Yankees' standpoint, this is a great trade. With Posada out, Rodriguez is exactly what they need, and they gave up nothing. It sets up NY as the big threat to win the east division or the wild card. Boston is in trouble.

Oblong
07-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Crede on the Tigers would lose about 15% of his value because it comes from killing us.

Oblong
07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
I can see from Detroit fans' standpoint why they didn't like this: they didn't get much. Plus, it is a sign that the team is all but throwing in the towel and dumping salary.

Dombrowski said it's not a sign of surrendering. They think Inge is ready to be #1 again.

FloridaTigers
07-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Pudge really isn't good as people think anymore. I'm iffy on the trade because he was the start of progress. His signing signaled a start of a new era. If Farnsworth can pitch for the Tigers like he did in 2005, the Tigers will still be in this race. I think Renteria and Sheffield need to start hitting, or else the Tigers will continue to hang around 5 games back.

I don't know the Sox farm system well, but they'd have to pay alot for Granderson. He's one of the top notch centerfielders and leadoff hitters in the AL, and even MLB.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Dombrowski said it's not a sign of surrendering. They think Inge is ready to be #1 again.
I don't think it's quite a sign of surrender because if you were looking to throw in the towel I think you would have gotten younger guys. Maybe I'm missing something here but a straight up trade of Ivan Rodriguez for Farnsworth, but this sounds like a horrible trade, and Dombrowski doesn't usually make horrible trades. This is his worst since Randy Johnson for Mark Langston and Mike Cambell and that at least then you were trading some future for guys that could help you compete that year...

Oblong
07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't think it's quite a sign of surrender because if you were looking to throw in the towel I think you would have gotten younger guys. Maybe I'm missing something here but a straight up trade of Ivan Rodriguez for Farnsworth, but this sounds like a horrible trade, and Dombrowski doesn't usually make horrible trades. This is his worst since Randy Johnson for Mark Langston and Mike Cambell and that at least then you were trading some future for guys that could help you compete that year...

Actually I think it's a move for now. The bullpen and pitching needs upgrading. Farnsworth isn't lights out but he's another arm on par with what's there now. I don't think Rodriguez could have netted much more on the trade market. He had a no trade clause so the # of teams he'd go to is already limited. He's struggled early on this year and Leyland started platooning him with Inge. Inge vs. Rodriguez is a wash. Dombrowski said he and an Leyland alrady decided that Inge would be the catcher next year and Pudge wouldn't be back.

FloridaTigers
07-30-2008, 07:14 PM

No, Renteria for Jair Jurrjens. Thats his worst trade in a long time, one of his few duds as the Tigers GM.

munchman33
07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
No, Renteria for Jair Jurrjens. Thats his worst trade in a long time, one of his few duds as the Tigers GM.

You forget, KW was also after Renteria. Sometimes you pay more to stop your rivals from improving.

southside rocks
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM

Wait, wasn't there talk earlier in the year that Inge didn't want to be a catcher again, that he was ticked at being removed from 3rd base? Or was that just some internet chatter?

southside rocks
07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately no, but I couldn't type Contreras and Crede with a straight face...

Good gosh, I couldn't even read it with a straight face. Thanks for the chuckle!

DSpivack
07-30-2008, 09:30 PM

Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez, top OF prospect.

kitekrazy
07-30-2008, 09:47 PM

They should have gotten prospects.

Oblong
07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Wait, wasn't there talk earlier in the year that Inge didn't want to be a catcher again, that he was ticked at being removed from 3rd base? Or was that just some internet chatter?

Yes he was ticked. But he was ticked when they signed Rodriguez in 2004, bumping him to third base. Inge is a loose cannon and says whatever he's thinking. He was ticked because he couldn't catch, ticked because he couldn't play third, all the while oblivious to the fact that his .220 batting average had something to do with it.

During the game tonight Dombrowski said Inge went to him a few weeks ago and said he likes catching again and is willing to do it long term.

PaleHoser
07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
This is why I hate the friggin' Yankees.

They need a catcher and they go get a Hall of Famer. If A.J. went down tomorrow the Sox would have to settle for Sal Fasano. :angry:

FloridaTigers
07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=437287&w=2005/open/topplays/archive07/071705_kcadet_brawl_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2005/07/17/kcamlb-detmlb-1&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2

This is why I welcome back Farnsworth. Fast foward to 2:55 if you want.

doublem23
07-31-2008, 12:19 AM

They need a catcher and they go get a Hall of Famer. If A.J. went down tomorrow the Sox would have to settle for Sal Fasano. :angry:

They got an aging Hall of Famer who's obviously in the twilight of his career since he was splitting time with Brandon Inge.

The Tigers waved the white flag, but it's not like the Yankees hit the Mother Lode.

southside rocks
07-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Yes he was ticked. But he was ticked when they signed Rodriguez in 2004, bumping him to third base. Inge is a loose cannon and says whatever he's thinking. He was ticked because he couldn't catch, ticked because he couldn't play third, all the while oblivious to the fact that his .220 batting average had something to do with it.

During the game tonight Dombrowski said Inge went to him a few weeks ago and said he likes catching again and is willing to do it long term.

Ah, I see. So the Tigers are set at catcher with Inge there. (Or until Brandon falls out of love with his job the next time.)

I watched part of the Tigers-Indians game last night and I have to say, it was odd not seeing Ivan Rodriguez back there. I guess I've gotten to associate him most with the Tigers, and I am sure they'll miss him. I always heard that he handles pitching staffs very well.

kraut83
07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Actually I think it's a move for now. The bullpen and pitching needs upgrading. Farnsworth isn't lights out but he's another arm on par with what's there now. I don't think Rodriguez could have netted much more on the trade market. He had a no trade clause so the # of teams he'd go to is already limited. He's struggled early on this year and Leyland started platooning him with Inge. Inge vs. Rodriguez is a wash. Dombrowski said he and an Leyland alrady decided that Inge would be the catcher next year and Pudge wouldn't be back.

If you guys can unload Renteria after the season, I would have assumed Guillen would move back to short, and Inge to 3rd.

What kind of organizational depth do you have at C and 3B? It doesn't seem like the FA market is going to be that strong at either position.

Oblong
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Catching depth is thin, as it is for most teams. Guillen will be the 3B for a while now. He can't play SS anymore. Tigers have some decent prospects for 2B, SS, and eventually 3B. Danny Worth, Cale Iorg, Michael Holliman, plus current MLers Ryan Raburn and I guess Santiago. Middle infield is not a problem for the organization right now.

Renteria will not be back. He's got a club option after this season.

oeo
07-31-2008, 10:06 AM

I think Sandy Alomar Jr. is available. :dunno:

TDog
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
This trade really surprises me. I'm surprised the Yankees would trade for Rodriguez, but I'm more surprised the Tigers would trade him. I've been hearing through all the ups and downs of the Tigers this year that they are still going to the World Series. Considering that the Tigers went to the World Series two years ago after experiencing a collapse of historical proportions, I wouldn't expect them to be giving up in July. I don't think the Tigers are good enough to win this year. They are basically a .500 team that matches hot streaks with periods of frustration. But I don't see how trading Rodriguez helps them this year or in the future.

Oblong
07-31-2008, 08:27 PM
This trade really surprises me. I'm surprised the Yankees would trade for Rodriguez, but I'm more surprised the Tigers would trade him. I've been hearing through all the ups and downs of the Tigers this year that they are still going to the World Series. Considering that the Tigers went to the World Series two years ago after experiencing a collapse of historical proportions, I wouldn't expect them to be giving up in July. I don't think the Tigers are good enough to win this year. They are basically a .500 team that matches hot streaks with periods of frustration. But I don't see how trading Rodriguez helps them this year or in the future.

I think it helps the Tigers this year because Rodriguez vs. Inge is a wash at this point. He's a shell of his former self. He only upped his average to the .290 range in the last few weeks (after platooning). Inge being the full time C isn't much of a downgrade, if at all. Now Farnsworth is probably the top guy out of the bullpen. (make of that what you will about either the bullpen or Farnsworth). Leyland said they didn't think the team making the playoffs depended on the play of Rodriguez.

Interestingly, there's a story in the NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/07/30/2008-07-30_ivan_rodriguez_asked_tigers_to_be_traded.html) that says he asked for the trade to the Yankees after Posada went down for the year.

Another juicy tidbit in there involves Boras being Borass again. After the deal was agreed to they called him up and he started going on about wanting compensation for waiving the no trade clause. Ivan told him to pipe down, it was his idea.

I really do think the Yankees are in for a disappointment. Yes he will be better than Molina but he will by no means be a force down the stretch.

EuroSox35
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm actually surprised they gave up Farnsworth, I know the consensus on him, but I figured he had a big role with Chamberlain going to the rotation (and a quick glance of his numbers don't look that bad). Especially when everyone wants pitching, especially bullpen help, for what, a little bit of offense (does that lineup even really need it?)

Honestly, they were better off signing Bonds. They don't have to worry about pride, they already have Giambi, the only difference is he "came clean" (wink wink), but he was known as the notorious steroid/HGH guy. Plus Rodriguez's story is shady as well. You could've also made a nice contract that protected you with the federal stuff.

DSpivack
07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm actually surprised they gave up Farnsworth, I know the consensus on him, but I figured he had a big role with Chamberlain going to the rotation (and a quick glance of his numbers don't look that bad). Especially when everyone wants pitching, especially bullpen help, for what, a little bit of offense (does that lineup even really need it?)

Honestly, they were better off signing Bonds. They don't have to worry about pride, they already have Giambi, the only difference is he "came clean" (wink wink), but he was known as the notorious steroid/HGH guy. Plus Rodriguez's story is shady as well. You could've also made a nice contract that protected you with the federal stuff.

With Posada out for the year, catcher was probably the biggest need.

TDog
08-01-2008, 12:03 AM
... Interestingly, there's a story in the NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/07/30/2008-07-30_ivan_rodriguez_asked_tigers_to_be_traded.html) that says he asked for the trade to the Yankees after Posada went down for the year. ...

That doesn't reflect well on the Tigers.

If that represents Rodriguez' attitude, I cna see why fans might not miss him amd rationalize that Inge is just as good.

FarWestChicago
08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes he will be better than Molina but he will by no means be a force down the stretch.If he gets on a well planned HGH regimen, or perhaps the latest designer 'roid that is one step ahead of testing, he migh reclaim old glory.

soxinem1
08-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Or Johnny Estrada.:angry: