PDA

View Full Version : PANIC! (Seriously, everyone start panicking)

doublem23
07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/panic_button.jpg

spiffie
07-30-2008, 10:38 AM
The White Sox, when playing the way they can play, are the best team in baseball. They just hit a slight speedbump.

They will take the next two, and all the bandwagon jumping "fans" will be right back with them.

**** panic. I've taken off the entire month of October to enjoy our World Series run.

asindc
07-30-2008, 10:41 AM
The White Sox, when playing the way they can play, are the best team in baseball. They just hit a slight speedbump.

They will take the next two, and all the bandwagon jumping "fans" will be right back with them.

**** panic. I've taken off the entire month of October to enjoy our World Series run.

Amen. So they have lost three straight (after winning four straight). Talk to me in mid-Sept. if the Twinkees are still batting .320 with RISP. Until then, I still like our chances.

voodoochile
07-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Doub! You rock...

They won't get it though. Expect lots of angry replies about people's right to panic, scream, vent and in general make asses out of themselves. If you're lucky, you'll get a thought police reference or two from people who have never been banned for freely expressing their opinions.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
The Sox are a bit banged up now, and not playing as well as in in June, so this is not unexpected. But it is not as if they are in a 7-seven game losing streak or anything. It's a tough road trip.

What they need to be worried about is pitching. If the starting pitchers continue to allow as many runs as they have the last 3 weeks, it is going to be a tough, tough road to a divisional championship. If they get things straightened out, they will win the division.

If Minnesota is going to make a move, it has to be now. When they hit mid-August and then play 24 of 30 games on the road, I like the Sox's chances to put some distance between themselves and the Twinkies.

Chicago5oooh
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM

Best team is baseball?? No. A good team that can compete in a short series? Yes.

Best team in baseball: LAA

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Just out of curiosity...when was the last time the bullpen gave up only ONE run?

Honestly it seems like some of our pitchers are acting like the sky is falling...way worse than anyone on here is acting....

kevingrt
07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
:chickenlittle

Iwritecode
07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Is this reverse psychology since this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104020) didn't work?

:)

PatK
07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
The only thing making me panic is Konerko when he comes up to the plate.

turners56
07-30-2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104045

My prediction of this roadtrip is right on line.

We will go 7-3 on this trip and we will split in Minnesota.

103 screwball
07-30-2008, 11:08 AM
BLOW IT UP! QUICK!! Only 2 days left to sell before the deadline. We might get some good prospects for Dye and Quentin! Game over man! Game over! White Flag!

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2008, 11:11 AM

They won't get it though. Expect lots of angry replies about people's right to panic, scream, vent and in general make asses out of themselves. If you're lucky, you'll get a thought police reference or two from people who have never been banned for freely expressing their opinions.

:rolleyes:

It is not inconsistent or mutually exclusive or hypocritical to be on the Sox bandwagon while also simultaneously thinking that the bus driver (Ozzie) sometimes takes wrong turns.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2008, 11:13 AM
BLOW IT UP! QUICK!! Only 2 days left to sell before the deadline. We might get some good prospects for Dye and Quentin! Game over man! Game over! White Flag!

I'm a buyer. I want a quality starting center fielder like DeJesus or Winn (a star like Beltran, Wells or Rios would cost too much MLB talent) so Swisher and PK can platoon at first (so there's only one gaping black hole in the lineup) and bullpen help.

Optipessimism
07-30-2008, 11:25 AM
There is no reason to panic. This team was never supposed to be this good anyway. The 2008 Sox have seriously lacked balance all year long and have ridden surprise break-out seasons from Quentin, Danks, and Floyd to get where they are.

I'm happy with the aforementioned three, as well as Alexei Ramirez and Brian Anderson. I'm happy that Buehrle is back to being the old Buehrle, and I'm happy that Contreras' contract expires after '09 and with a few strong performances off the DL it should become movable in the offseason. I'm happy we actually have a bullpen. I'm happy we drafted and are expected to sign Beckham and Danks to deepen our farm system. Swisher and Paulie have been the only disappointments this season, which is remarkable given all the uncertainties facing the club in ST.

If this team wins it all this year it will be a complete surprise to everyone except the uncomfortably optimistic. I'm happy with our team going forward, and I'm looking forward to receiving two draft picks from Orlando Cabrera and changing the look of the team even more going into '09.

Frankfan4life
07-30-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm not very happy about the results of the last three games but for some reason, I'm not feeling panicky. Obviously, this is not the 2005 White Sox but it's not the 2007 team either. We will be in this fight to the end.

TomBradley72
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
No reason to panic. The Twins will play 30 out of 45 games on the road between early August to mid-September. During that time, the White Sox play almost the same percentage of games at home. If the home/road splits hold up over that 6 week span...we should gain some significant ground vs. Twins especially with Crede, Contreras and Linebrink coming off the DL.

oeo
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
No reason to panic. The Twins will play 30 out of 45 games on the road between early August to mid-September. During that time, the White Sox play almost the same percentage of games at home. If the home/road splits hold up over that 6 week span...we should gain some significant ground vs. Twins especially with Crede, Contreras and Linebrink coming off the DL.

The only worry is (for me, at least), how long are we going to let the Tigers stick around? We need to put those guys away. I've got a bad feeling that their offense is just going to go on a tear and carry them.

We're going through a bad stretch right now, and pretty much have been the entire month of July (yet still hold onto first place). If we can get things rolling again with our pitching staff, we'll be tough to beat.

soxfanatlanta
07-30-2008, 12:24 PM
http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/Kevin_Bacon_Animal_House.jpg

"Everything is fine!!!!!"

Gammons Peter
07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Lets see if Gavin wets himself or shows some guts tonight

kevingrt
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM

I'll vote for the guts part.

doublem23
07-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Is this reverse psychology since this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104020) didn't work?

:)

Sshhh...

Word is that thread sucked, BTW.

thomas35forever
07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I think it's too soon to panic. Will the Twinkies take over first? Perhaps, but the Brewers caught up with the Cubs, who came right back and put some distance between the teams. If the Sox can't do it in Minny, they'll have to do it against the other teams. I just hope they put enough distance between both the Twins and the Tigers so we won't have to worry about the Metrodome series the last week of the season. If it comes to that, well...
*shudders thinking about potential outcome*

Jurr
07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Javy Vazquez freaks me out. He needs to start pitching like he is capable of, or it's going to be a long second half.

voodoochile
07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Since I see Cheeses is reading, thought I'd bring back an oldie but a goodie...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58159&highlight=stuck+here

Jim Shorts
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM

I was kind of under the impression that that's why we have message boards...so people can get their irrational thoughts out of the way, so their dogs don't get kicked

Bottom line is we're all Sox fans. Some more level headed than others, but all want the same result.

kitekrazy
07-30-2008, 01:22 PM

I'd like to see the team get their heads out of their asses. They can't get guys out in a run down, hit the cutoff man, ect.

Giving teams extra outs doesn't really help a pitcher. Giving outs by keeping Konerko in doesn't help.

kitekrazy
07-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I was kind of under the impression that that's why we have message boards...so people can get their irrational thoughts out of the way, so their dogs don't get kicked

Bottom line is we're all Sox fans. Some more level headed than others, but all want the same result.

Excellent post.

Bob G
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
There is no reason to panic. This team was never supposed to be this good anyway. The 2008 Sox have seriously lacked balance all year long and have ridden surprise break-out seasons from Quentin, Danks, and Floyd to get where they are.

I'm happy with the aforementioned three, as well as Alexei Ramirez and Brian Anderson. I'm happy that Buehrle is back to being the old Buehrle, and I'm happy that Contreras' contract expires after '09 and with a few strong performances off the DL it should become movable in the offseason. I'm happy we actually have a bullpen. I'm happy we drafted and are expected to sign Beckham and Danks to deepen our farm system. Swisher and Paulie have been the only disappointments this season, which is remarkable given all the uncertainties facing the club in ST.

If this team wins it all this year it will be a complete surprise to everyone except the uncomfortably optimistic. I'm happy with our team going forward, and I'm looking forward to receiving two draft picks from Orlando Cabrera and changing the look of the team even more going into '09.

The Twins weren't supposed to be this good either ... we have a shot at winning this division regardless of what happens these next two games. If we can win at least one of them that's fine with me.

What got us here for the most part was pitching and that's what we'll need to win it.

all*star quentin
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM

People need to develop better coping skills.:gulp:

Britt Burns
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
The Sox aren't playing well in the BaggyDome? I'm shocked! This is the end of the season for sure...

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2008, 01:57 PM
The Twins have infuriated all of us before. If they make the playoffs batting .320 with RISP, which I assume would be an MLB record, that would be most infuriating. The Sox have not done well in July and August under Ozzie and that will probably continue. Every team has flaws, we'll just see.

balke
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
As a general optimist for the Sox, the sox do need to panic. You can't count out the Twins as a weaker team at this point, they have made big strides this season.

The Sox are banged up, and slumping heavily. There's not a lot of time anymore to "turn it on". They need a reliever, and if possible an all around CFer.

Swish is great as a LFer or RFer, but this team right now has a hole in CF. He is also not good enough to replace the Sox LF or RFers. He needs to take over 1B, or probably even better, he needs to be moved for someone who can play that position better and be counted on for a hit against good pitching.

soxinem1
07-30-2008, 02:44 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/MLB/Headshots/140x170/6036.jpg http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Keith-Foulke---2004-Studio-Plus-Photograph-I11793975.jpeg

'Are we going to be part of another White Flag?

whitesox901
07-30-2008, 02:55 PM
**** That

Johnny Mostil
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
The Twins will play 30 out of 45 games on the road between early August to mid-September.

I looked up this and saw it's even wackier than that. From 8/21 to 9/21, they have 24 of 30 games on the road. Does anybody know why, besides the Republican convention, that is so?

Does anybody also recall what the Chicago teams did in '96 when the Democratic convention was here?

Chicken Dinner
07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
9 errors in the past 7 days would make anyone panic.

jabrch
07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I looked up this and saw it's even wackier than that. From 8/21 to 9/21, they have 24 of 30 games on the road. Does anybody know why, besides the Republican convention, that is so?

Does anybody also recall what the Chicago teams did in '96 when the Democratic convention was here?

Chicago has the capacity to handle more visitors than Minneapolis. Hell - Chicago handles more visitors than Minnesota.

Johnny Mostil
07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Chicago has the capacity to handle more visitors than Minneapolis. Hell - Chicago handles more visitors than Minnesota.

True enough, but the Twins' schedule still seems odd. The only adjustment the Rockies made for the Democratic convention was being on the road for 12 of 15 games from 8/15 to 8/31.

ChiSoxFan7
07-30-2008, 03:27 PM
How can you panic when still in first place?:scratch:

It's Dankerific
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
True enough, but the Twins' schedule still seems odd. The only adjustment the Rockies made for the Democratic convention was being on the road for 12 of 15 games from 8/15 to 8/31.

Ever since the MLB went from the puzzle lovin' real live human couple that made schedules to the computer, the schedules have been absolute ****.

i think fenway had posted a link a long time ago about the schedule couple.

It's Dankerific
07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
How can you panic when still in first place?:scratch:

Why panic when you're diagnosed with a disease if you're still enjoying normal activities?

Why panic until your boat sinks, not when it starts taking on water

etc., etc., etc.

I choose to believe in the Sox regardless of what reason and rational thought tell me. That said, I don't begrudge the panickers(sp?)

Adele_H
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/panic_button.jpg

Panic? No way. Not in 2005, not this year.

But the Sox simply have to play better than they have in recent weeks. Injuries are part of the game; that doesn't give the rest of the team the right to play like garbage. Uninspired, intimidated garbage - especially so far in the metrodome. Unacceptable.

Thigpen "57"
07-30-2008, 04:42 PM

I love me some Bill Paxton in Aliens quote!

LITTLE NELL
07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Im not in panic mode but right now this team needs a healthy Crede, Linebrink and Contrares. We also have to bite the bullet with PK and platoon him with Thome against tough lefties. Swisher moves back to 1B and Anderson patrols CF for the rest of the season. Javy needs to step up and show what hes made of.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Dank:

It's ironic that you talk about scheduling.

I interviewed a member of the front office this afternoon and they told me some real tales over how the Sox have been getting the short end of the stick the past few years including not being scheduled at home for Summer holidays, not being able to get the Yankees during the Summer on a weekend (unlike say Cleveland who got them twice...), the fact that they have two three game trips to the West Coast this year (just three games...), the interleague fiasco (why Pittsburgh three straight years but never Milwaukee?) and apparently last year MLB took a homestand that included the Mets on a weekend and the Red Sox away from them.

This person said the original thought was that the couple doing it was the issue, then the thinking was that because a lot of the folks doing the schedule worked basically in the N.L. they didn't understand the A.L. but apparently that's not the issue either.

They said the issues regarding the schedule are worse now than they have ever been. They said it's gotten to the point where JR has written a letter personally asking Bud to look into things and exactly why some of these things have been happening.

Lip

russ99
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Dank:

It's ironic that you talk about scheduling.

I interviewed a member of the front office this afternoon and they told me some real tales over how the Sox have been getting the short end of the stick the past few years including not being scheduled at home for Summer holidays, not being able to get the Yankees during the Summer on a weekend (unlike say Cleveland who got them twice...), the fact that they have two three game trips to the West Coast this year (just three games...), the interleague fiasco (why Pittsburgh three straight years but never Milwaukee?) and apparently last year MLB took a homestand that included the Mets on a weekend and the Red Sox away from them.

This person said the original thought was that the couple doing it was the issue, then the thinking was that because a lot of the folks doing the schedule worked basically in the N.L. they didn't understand the A.L. but apparently that's not the issue either.

They said the issues regarding the schedule are worse now than they have ever been. They said it's gotten to the point where JR has written a letter personally asking Bud to look into things and exactly why some of these things have been happening.

Lip

Ever since they changed scheduling companies, this kind of thing has happened. While there's probably no going back to human-scheduling, there should a lot more hands-on crosschecking, rather than having a computer spit this out.

Jim Shorts
07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I love me some Bill Paxton in Aliens quote!

You're stewed, buttwad.

I loves me some Bill Paxton in Weird Science Quotes!

Droso5
07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
If they lose the next two and get swept, than yes, it may be time to be concerned and only concerned. There are many games left to be played after this so this may pan out in the end anyways. Now, if they split the series than everything is reasonably calm. If they get swept and keep losing ground in the coming weeks than yes......PANIC!!!!! But until that time, lets all relax, be cordial to each other, don't flush any cyber-toilets and never lose sight of the fact that we all thought the White Sox would suck this year.

Always remember that we fans actually have the ability to be worried about a team struggling to stay in first place and make the playoffs. Contrast that with Nationals fans and Royals fans and your Chi will be circular.

Thigpen "57"
07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
You're stewed, buttwad.

I loves me some Bill Paxton in Weird Science Quotes!

"Would a spy pee himself?". Man was he a twerp in True Lies.

Seriously though, I can't freak out just yet over our boys. They have far exceeded their underperformance from last year, as well as our expectations so far this year. I think the biggest difference for this is the nuclear fallout that is known as Cleveland.

It is two days till August and... we are still in first place! Even with (God forbid) a loss tonight, when we win tomorrow, we are right back up. Boy, are those Minny Twinkie cakes annoying.

It seems that every year this decade they have been like the little cousin who keeps running around you and poking you with a stick, always testing your patience while you find ways to explin why they keep doing what they are doing.

Grrrrrr... go out and kill 'em all tonight boys!
"No life till leather, gonna kick some ass tonight!"

Thigpen "57"
07-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Go Go Go Go White Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

voodoochile
07-30-2008, 06:31 PM
But until that time, lets all relax, be cordial to each other, don't flush any cyber-toilets and never lose sight of the fact that we all thought the White Sox would suck this year.

Always remember that we fans actually have the ability to be worried about a team struggling to stay in first place and make the playoffs. Contrast that with Nationals fans and Royals fans and your Chi will be circular.

I disagree. I and several others all felt this team was capable of doing exactly what it is doing, competing for a playoff spot and first place in the ALC deep into the season if nothing else.

For me the problem is the people who first expected the team to suck and have subsequently jumped across the aisle so far as they are now upset the team hasn't already wrapped up the division or the people who think they know more about the day to day inner workings of the team than the members of it's management staff do and subsequently are constantly pissing on game threads and everyone else who disagrees with them.

As to the team, sol good. I'm not crazy with excitement nor am I jumping off of ledges. Way too many games to be played and way to small of a difference between the Sox and Twinkies to start freaking out at this stage in the game.

The teams are effectively tied with 1/3 of the season to play. Heck, Cleveland still could make a run (and actually has been pretty hot in the second half) to say nothing of Detroit and their otherworldly offense.

Cinch it up, hunker down, strap it on and get ready for a wild ride. This is why they play 162 games. This is why they play so many games against divisional rivals. It's not supposed to be easy. It's not supposed to be simple. It's supposed to be a war of attrition that lasts for 6 months. Winning the division itself is something to be proud of. Winning a Pennant and/or a WS championship is an act of greatness and nothing great will ever come easy. If it did, it wouldn't be all that great...

Droso5
07-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I disagree. I and several others all felt this team was capable of doing exactly what it is doing, competing for a playoff spot and first place in the ALC deep into the season if nothing else.

For me the problem is the people who first expected the team to suck and have subsequently jumped across the aisle so far as they are now upset the team hasn't already wrapped up the division or the people who think they know more about the day to day inner workings of the team than the members of it's management staff do and subsequently are constantly pissing on game threads and everyone else who disagrees with them.

As to the team, sol good. I'm not crazy with excitement nor am I jumping off of ledges. Way too many games to be played and way to small of a difference between the Sox and Twinkies to start freaking out at this stage in the game.

The teams are effectively tied with 1/3 of the season to play. Heck, Cleveland still could make a run (and actually has been pretty hot in the second half) to say nothing of Detroit and their otherworldly offense.

Cinch it up, hunker down, strap it on and get ready for a wild ride. This is why they play 162 games. This is why they play so many games against divisional rivals. It's not supposed to be easy. It's not supposed to be simple. It's supposed to be a war of attrition that lasts for 6 months. Winning the division itself is something to be proud of. Winning a Pennant and/or a WS championship is an act of greatness and nothing great will ever come easy. If it did, it wouldn't be all that great...

Fair enough. "We all" may have been a bit too broad, but things could be much worse. I had them pegged at 85 wins.

It's Dankerific
07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
It really bothers me when management, like Ozzie, complain about critics, including fans. Fans, aka Fanatics. If I weren't so emotionally attached to the team, care about each game individually instead of taking a more macro look at it, hurt when I feel that they make stupid decisions, ride on a super high when they have a great win, I probably wouldn't spend so much money on MLB or the Chicago White Sox.

We scream and yell, because we care. Us caring = $$$ for the Sox.

Ozzie and the crew need to strap it down and stop worrying about the criticism and making decisions based on anti-public sentiment and win some ballgames.

MetroPD
07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Its over! We need to trade Ray Durham or something.

viagracat
07-30-2008, 08:03 PM

I remember the Astros had something like a 26-game road trip when the Republicans had their convention at the Astrodome in 1992. The Sporting News carried updates on their trip called "Astros Over America". :cool:

viagracat
07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I never panic in July. Or August for that matter.

Slow and steady wins the race. That works in lots of situations. :cool:

Johnny Mostil
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I remember the Astros had something like a 26-game road trip when the Republicans had their convention at the Astrodome in 1992. The Sporting News carried updates on their trip called "Astros Over America". :cool:

Good memory; I'd forgotten about that. I just looked up the results and saw the Astros went 11-14 on that trip. They hit the road in 5th place, 14.5 games back, and came home in 5th place, 19 games back.

One difference, of course, is the convention was actually on the Astros' field at the time, but this year won't actually be on the Twins' field (right?). I can't recall any other MLB venues also serving as convention venues. For all I know about traffic patterns in Minneapolis (that is, virtually nothing), maybe the fourteen-game trip before and during the convention is needed.

I still can't figure out why they have to hit the road again for ten after a six-game homestand, but that's their problem . . .

rookie
07-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Yup when I signed up for classes for school, I stayed away from October as well. I'm not missing anything.

Imagine what will happen if we get the Olympics...

I never panic in July. Or August for that matter.

Slow and steady wins the race. That works in lots of situations. :cool:

Yup and if you could get through September 2005, you can get through anything.

Plus The Carlos Quentin is doing his best to keep us on top right now.

Johnny Mostil
07-30-2008, 10:02 PM

I was wondering about that. Both teams on the road for a month? Exhibition (or even regular season) games for the Bears away as well?

TomParrish79
07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz8-Z1VPXZY

This should be the theme song then

doublem23
07-30-2008, 11:22 PM

I was wondering about that. Both teams on the road for a month? Exhibition (or even regular season) games for the Bears away as well?

Well, by then baseball won't be an Olympic event, so I'm sure there's some way to make the schedule work out.

Railsplitter
07-30-2008, 11:47 PM
HEY! Don't tell ME when or when not to panic. :tongue:

All kidding aside, Sox win, I'm Dr.Pangloss, Sox lose, I'm Cassandra.

Adele_H
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM

Outstanding post.

(Except I do think Twins without (healthy) Liriano, Garza and Santana, are ultimately a grade level below the Sox, so I expect us to ultimately prevail, though a major injury on our side may swing the pendulum back to the Twins. Long live baseball)

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2008, 06:55 PM
PANIC!!!
An old classic...
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7577/1975/200/cafebutton.1.jpg