PDA

View Full Version : Teixeira about to be traded to the Angels

Sockinchisox
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Kotchman pulled off the field and is the centerpiece of a Tex trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline

CHIsoxNation
07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
If true, this is could be a huge move for the Angels. As long as their aren't giving up a ton.

munchman33
07-29-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm glad we're not in the same division.

Jimmy Piersall
07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Damn,they are really going to be tough.And they have an owner who
will pony up the $$$ that it will take to get Texeira signed long term.

CHIsoxNation
07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Kotchman and a "lesser name" guy?!

That's going to be a nasty lineup.

Edit: Stephen Marek is said to be the second guy. A relief pitcher.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/teixeira_for_kotchman_marek_cl.html

Optipessimism
07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
I hate this move! It's like a video game trade. Who the **** wants Casey Kotchman? Why wouldn't Atlanta just take the picks? Kotchman, I swear to God, is the most overrated baseball player in the game right now.

Braves fans are really going to miss Schuerholz and Cox a lot more than they thought.

Edit: if they get Erick Aybar in this deal the Braves are going to end up with the most overhyped, waste of space players the Angels have (for prospects/young guys anyway). They'd better be getting Adenhart or Wood and pitching prospect for Tex.

sox1970
07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Wonderful.

Sockinchisox
07-29-2008, 05:58 PM
It's done:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8391756/Angels-add-power,-nab-Teixeira-from-Braves

Optipessimism
07-29-2008, 06:02 PM
This deal is absolutely horrible for the Braves. And the damn best team in baseball just got a whole lot better for nothing. :angry::angry::angry:

WizardsofOzzie
07-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Just reported on ESPN. Damn the Angels are gonna be a though team to beat

Jaysox
07-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow. that's all, just wow.

DrGiggles
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Just reported on ESPN. Damn the Angels are gonna be a though team to beat

Yes they are.

illini81887
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3509998&name=mlb_trade_deadline

Sockinchisox
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1981043#post1981043

dwalteroo
07-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, I'm jealous.

Optipessimism
07-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Casey's career:
351 G, 1131 AB, .274/.337/.426

And he's hitting .287/.327/.448 this year, supposedly after what was going to be a "break out" start

My God the new Braves people are morons... they threw away a late first rounder AND a supplementary first rounder for the second coming of Sean Casey. Why couldn't Kenny send out Jerry Owens and Nick Masset for Tex? That's just as lopsided...

ArkanSox
07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Teixeira -- like they need him. The rich get richer.

MeteorsSox4367
07-29-2008, 06:35 PM
The Angels' front office has to be laughing its collective butt off after making this trade. Teixeira just made a really good team that much better. No offense to Kotchman, but c'mon.

The Angels now have one more good hitter for Bobby Jenks to strike out in the ALCS.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Casey's career:
351 G, 1131 AB, .274/.337/.426

And he's hitting .287/.327/.448 this year, supposedly after what was going to be a "break out" start

My God the new Braves people are morons... they threw away a late first rounder AND a supplementary first rounder for the second coming of Sean Casey. Why couldn't Kenny send out Jerry Owens and Nick Masset for Tex? That's just as lopsided...
Except, it isn't. Holy hyperbole!

AzureJazzMan
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
WOW!! Just WOW!!

Vlad, Hunter, and Teixeira...all on top of their pitching...speed...and defense! WOW!

I sincerely hope that Kenny is looking to add some solid and quality arms to our team before we have to face them again.

Tragg
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
WOW!! Just WOW!!

Vlad, Hunter, and Teixeira...all on top of their pitching...speed...and defense! WOW!

I sincerely hope that Kenny is looking to add some solid and quality arms to our team before we have to face them again. i guess this means that Konerko to the Angels is out of the question....
There's nothing that Kenny can add that will counteract that. Just have to hope we make the playoffs and outplay them in a short series. But man for man, we're, well, outmanned.

turners56
07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I hate this move! It's like a video game trade. Who the **** wants Casey Kotchman? Why wouldn't Atlanta just take the picks? Kotchman, I swear to God, is the most overrated baseball player in the game right now.

Braves fans are really going to miss Schuerholz and Cox a lot more than they thought.

Edit: if they get Erick Aybar in this deal the Braves are going to end up with the most overhyped, waste of space players the Angels have (for prospects/young guys anyway). They'd better be getting Adenhart or Wood and pitching prospect for Tex.

Kotchman's cheap and has a lot of potential. That's somebody the Braves would want...

thomas35forever
07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd say the Angels are officially the team to beat in the American League.

The Immigrant
07-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't know, it's really not a catastrophic trade for Atlanta. They got a decent 1B who's under team control for three more years and whose best years are ahead of him (especially in the NL). Teixeira is just a 2-month rental and the Angels will have to pay through the nose to keep him after this year.

EuroSox35
07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Man, I had them as my WS pick in the offseason, now they get even stronger, very solid team

BeviBall!
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
It seems only KW overpays for talent. This is an absolute joke of a deal.

asindc
07-29-2008, 07:51 PM

You mean like he did for Quentin? Jenks? Alexei? Danks and Masset? Floyd? Contreras?

Tragg
07-29-2008, 08:00 PM
When he goes for a big blockbluster type deal, he seems to pay a higher price than others. 3 of the org's top 5 prospects for Swisher, the Ritchie debacle e.g.
But, he makes some great snags in smaller deals (and an equal number of misses; it's just that we don't lose much when he misses in a small deal).

Brian26
07-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't think the Braves got ripped off by any means when you consider the fact that Texeira was absolutely gone after the season.

In terms of rebuilding on the fly and in lieu of waiting for draft picks to develop, it's probably going to turn out to be a nice trade for Atlanta.

BeviBall!
07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
You mean like he did for Quentin? Jenks? Alexei? Danks and Masset? Floyd? Contreras?

I like KW, but I feel we give up more talent than most. This year specifically... in Swisher and Cabrera deals, we gave up too much. TCQ is the latest in a long line of outfield reclamation projects our franchise has amazing luck with. Alexei was a signing. The book is still open on Floyd and Danks. Jose... well there was last part of 2005 and the first few months of 2006. Other than that... :shrug: Jenks is KW's best work.

Kenny gets us nice talent but has depleted our farm doing so. Mostly because he gives up too much.

BeviBall!
07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
When he goes for a big blockbluster type deal, he seems to pay a higher price than others. 3 of the org's top 5 prospects for Swisher, the Ritchie debacle e.g.
But, he makes some great snags in smaller deals (and an equal number of misses; it's just that we don't lose much when he misses in a small deal).

This says what I was trying to say much better.

asindc
07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
I like KW, but I feel we give up more talent than most. This year specifically... in Swisher and Cabrera deals, we gave up too much. TCQ is the latest in a long line of outfield reclamation projects our franchise has amazing luck with. Alexei was a signing. The book is still open on Floyd and Danks. Jose... well there was last part of 2005 and the first few months of 2006. Other than that... :shrug: Jenks is KW's best work.

Kenny gets us nice talent but has depleted our farm doing so. Mostly because he gives up too much.

You're right, Alexei was a FA signing, but Jose did deliver what NY (and Bos.) thought he would when they had a battle royale for him. And when you have a "long line of outfield reclamation projects" that you have "amazing luck with," that's called making your own luck.

I'm just saying I'd rather be us than the Angels when it comes to Jenks, us rather than the Dbacks when it comes to TCQ, us rather than NYY when it comes to Contreras, us rather than Texas when it comes to Danks/Masset, and us rather than Philly when it comes to Floyd. Ask the fans of those teams about those deals and tell me if they tell you we overpaid.

Hitmen77
07-29-2008, 11:29 PM
This deal makes me feel even more jealous of top NL teams. Once in the playoffs, a team such as the Cubs seem to have a much easier path to the Fall Classic. Not that it's a sure thing for anyone, but Arizona and the Mets sure seem beatable.

Meanwhile, even IF the Sox make it to the playoffs, they'll really have some tough competition to get past to win the pennant. The Angels and Red Sox are going to be big hurdles for whoever wins the AL Central.

Brian26
07-29-2008, 11:48 PM
This deal makes me feel even more jealous of top NL teams. Once in the playoffs, a team such as the Cubs seem to have a much easier path to the Fall Classic. Not that it's a sure thing for anyone, but Arizona and the Mets sure seem beatable.

Since the Braves are nowhere near sniffing the playoffs and have the Phillies, Mets and Marlins ahead of them in the East, what does this have to do with the Cubs?

mjmcend
07-30-2008, 01:10 AM

Jenks was a waiver claim not a trade.

ilsox7
07-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Since the Braves are nowhere near sniffing the playoffs and have the Phillies, Mets and Marlins ahead of them in the East, what does this have to do with the Cubs?

The world for most at WSI revolves around the Cubs, not the sun.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Damn, they actually got the stick. Their system is so deep that even if Teixiera moves on (I think they can keep him), Kendry Morales can slide in for '09. I was just hating on them too for not having the stones, and I guess Stoneman was the one that couldn't pull the trigger.
Well, if the Sox get in, it's gonna be tough.

oeo
07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, if the Sox get in, it's gonna be tough.

It's about who's hot, not necessarily the best team.

A lot can change between now and then. The Angels could have a couple of big injuries, hit a cold spell at the wrong time, etc. As long as they get there, I'll feel good about their chances.

oeo
07-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Two examples?

Those Top 5 prospects were where in the Top 100 prospects in all of baseball? I only remember DLS and Gio being there, and they were in the lower half, IIRC.

Who cares how they rank compared to the rest of our system?
DLS is a looooooong way from reaching the majors, if he ever does, after Tommy John surgery. For once, Kenny sold high.
Gio continues his inconsistency in AAA. Still young, but I wonder if he'll ever be the top of the rotation guy he's been hyped up to be.
Sweeney is a corner outfielder that, although is hitting well, can't hit the long ball.I just don't think, in the end, we'll look back and say this was a terrible deal. We gave up a great arm in DLS, but he was a long way from the majors anyway, and now with TJ surgery, who knows if he ever makes an impact? Gio is the one guy that I think will make a consistent impact on the big leagues, and that's as #3-4 starter.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Two examples?

Those Top 5 prospects were where in the Top 100 prospects in all of baseball? I only remember DLS and Gio being there, and they were in the lower half, IIRC.

Who cares how they rank compared to the rest of our system?
DLS is a looooooong way from reaching the majors, if he ever does, after Tommy John surgery. For once, Kenny sold high.
Gio continues his inconsistency in AAA. Still young, but I wonder if he'll ever be the top of the rotation guy he's been hyped up to be.
Sweeney is a corner outfielder that, although is hitting well, can't hit the long ball.I just don't think, in the end, we'll look back and say this was a terrible deal. We gave up a great arm in DLS, but he was a long way from the majors anyway, and now with TJ surgery, who knows if he ever makes an impact? Gio is the one guy that I think will make a consistent impact on the big leagues, and that's as #3-4 starter.

Right now, I'd rather have Sweeney than Swisher, straight up. Maybe that will change in time.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
It's about who's hot, not necessarily the best team.

A lot can change between now and then. The Angels could have a couple of big injuries, hit a cold spell at the wrong time, etc. As long as they get there, I'll feel good about their chances.

Oh, for sure. I am not doubting this team's resiliency, but I'm not sure they're as equipped for the postseason as the WS squad. We'll see.

jabrch
07-30-2008, 10:43 AM

List all the players he gave up who went on to have significant impact elsewhere?

There aren't many.

hawkjt
07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I would also rather have Sweeney in CF over Swish right now.
Give me some high average hitters for a change instead of .225 hitters that get the long ball occasionally.
Sweeney is fast,a lefty and is hitting over.300...the sox have few outfielders like that.

oeo
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Oh, for sure. I am not doubting this team's resiliency, but I'm not sure they're as equipped for the postseason as the WS squad. We'll see.

The pitching staff had a bad July in 2005, too.

I still think things can get back on track. I think Logan will be fine, and when Linebrink comes back, we're set in the bullpen.

Javy has completely sucked (like Buehrle's May kind of sucking), so I can't expect that to continue. If what Contreras' problem was an injury, and we get him healthy, he could have a strong last couple of months. He was our ace the first two months of the season, so we know he can still carry a staff. If those two, along with Buehrle, can pitch well, then we should be fine. We have to expect Danks to fall off a bit, and Gavin already has, but all we need from these guys is to keep us in the game if the other three are doing their jobs.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2008, 11:52 AM
The pitching staff had a bad July in 2005, too.

That, they did.

the1tab
07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Jenks was a waiver claim not a trade.

I thought we got Jenks in the Rule 5 draft, no?

Also, this deal makes Anaheim the giant that Detroit fancied itself to be this past winter. They now have a better batting order than Detroit, Boston, NY, Tampa, anyone AND they have the stud pitching. Think about it... they have an OF that can run out Vlad, Torii Hunter, Garrett Anderon AND Gary Matthew Jr... they've got a leadoff man in Figgins... now they add a 40 hr 100 RBI switch-hitting first baseman? I agree that this looks like a ring-rental, but even so, their bats are good enough to get there. Throw in Lackey being healthy, Saunders pitching like a stud and Ervin Santana having apparently figured it out (props to LAA for not giving up on him this winter), not to mention Jered Weaver as a 4/5 SP? And KRod at the back of the game to close?

I've said it on other boards... I am in no way a fan of playing to get into the playoffs for the sake of spending $35 on a Division Champions hat and tshirt. As we're constituted right now, we can't outhit OR outpitch the Angels.

As for Kenny's track record... he's picked up a few winners in minor deals and he's blown it on other deals... I'm not gonna throw him under the bus because Swisher forgot how to hit and has to play CF because Paulie's still flying out at first. He built a winner before and we certainly have pieces in place for a bright future. I just don't think we can compete in 2008 as-is.

mjmcend
07-30-2008, 12:20 PM

You may be right. Either way, it was not a trade.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2008, 12:23 PM

Also, this deal makes Anaheim the giant that Detroit fancied itself to be this past winter. They now have a better batting order than Detroit, Boston, NY, Tampa, anyone AND they have the stud pitching. Think about it... they have an OF that can run out Vlad, Torii Hunter, Garrett Anderon AND Gary Matthew Jr... they've got a leadoff man in Figgins... now they add a 40 hr 100 RBI switch-hitting first baseman? I agree that this looks like a ring-rental, but even so, their bats are good enough to get there. Throw in Lackey being healthy, Saunders pitching like a stud and Ervin Santana having apparently figured it out (props to LAA for not giving up on him this winter), not to mention Jered Weaver as a 4/5 SP? And KRod at the back of the game to close?

I've said it on other boards... I am in no way a fan of playing to get into the playoffs for the sake of spending $35 on a Division Champions hat and tshirt. As we're constituted right now, we can't outhit OR outpitch the Angels.

As for Kenny's track record... he's picked up a few winners in minor deals and he's blown it on other deals... I'm not gonna throw him under the bus because Swisher forgot how to hit and has to play CF because Paulie's still flying out at first. He built a winner before and we certainly have pieces in place for a bright future. I just don't think we can compete in 2008 as-is.

Matthews, Jr. is done. They've been playing Juan Rivera a lot more recently, as they should.

Anyhow, the Angels are very athletic and deep. They now have a little power, which makes them real dangerous, in my mind.