PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Fuentes, Ohman

Sockinchisox
07-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm sure this doesn't come as a big surprise as we've known the Sox are looking for relief pitchers but these are two new names who I hadn't heard.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080729&content_id=3218820&vkey=trade2008&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

palehozenychicty
07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
I'd take either right now. Ohman is probably more feasible.

Britt Burns
07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
I think that while in general late-season trades are somewhat overrated given the $$ and prospects required often for just marginal improvement, adding bullpen help is a big exception. Relievers usually cost less to acquire and they can be used more frequently in a critical/playoff series compared to a starter. Plus with a bigger and better bullpen you an do more left-right-left matchups.

Optipessimism
07-29-2008, 01:42 PM
No me gusta el Brian Fuentes. Es muy caro.

Optipessimism
07-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I think that while in general late-season trades are somewhat overrated given the $$ and prospects required often for just marginal improvement, adding bullpen help is a big exception. Relievers usually cost less to acquire and they can be used more frequently in a critical/playoff series compared to a starter. Plus with a bigger and better bullpen you an do more left-right-left matchups.
Agreed, but I don't want us having anything to do with somebody's closer. That'll command one of our top prospects. Ohman sounds okay, but I hope Kenny's looking at Arthur Rhodes 'cause he's probably the cheapest guy on the block for a lefty. If Kenny can pick up Ohman for Masset or something I'd be all for it though, but just not anyone we'll need in order to make a bigger deal over the offseason.

btrain929
07-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm a big fan of Jack Taschner (sp?) of SF. Everytime I've seen him on TV, he's looked real good. I doubt his price would be unbelievably high.

Foulke You
07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm not a Will Ohman fan. He has been pretty bad prior to this year (4.97 E.R.A. last year) and I remember his fastball being awfully straight. He might be having a career year but I remember my Cub fan friends dreading every time he came on in relief for them.

kittle42
07-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm not a Will Ohman fan. He has been pretty bad prior to this year (4.97 E.R.A. last year) and I remember his fastball being awfully straight. He might be having a career year but I remember my Cub fan friends dreading every time he came on in relief for them.

You have to catch lightrning in a bottle with these middle relievers, generally. I'll take any of them having a career year.

Foulke You
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
You have to catch lightrning in a bottle with these middle relievers, generally. I'll take any of them having a career year.
Yeah, you have a point. What is his contract situation like? Is he only signed for this year? If it is just a rental, I guess I'd take a flyer on him. He couldn't do any worse than Nick Masset has lately.

turners56
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I'd take either right now. Ohman is probably more feasible.

Oh jeez...not Will Ohman.

SOXPHILE
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Just say NO to Will Ohman

Friends don't let friends sign Will Ohman

The Most Interesting Man In The World on....The Sox signing Will Ohman:

http://images.fandango.com/r79.1.1/ImageRenderer/200/295/images/performer_no_image_large.jpg/0/images/masterrepository/performer%20images/p52262/franconero-theinquiry-1.jpg "....NO......"