PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Slowey makes quick work of Sox 7-28 post game thread

Domeshot17
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Blah

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, that sucked.

Let's hear it for Walkerball!

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Yes it did...big time.

SoxGirl4Life
Its was a total team effort.

Oh well, lets get em tomorrow

WhiteSox5187
Pretty pretty bad. Oh well...still three more left to play. Let's win those.

hula
Unbelieveable. Just pitiful! :scratch:

aryzner
That was pretty pathetic. I have no words.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
At least DET was shutout tonight too. Misery loves company.

Bill Naharodny
There's a certain lifelessness that the Metrodome brings out in our ballclub, year after year. I find it strangely comforting, sorta like Christmas.

:?:

Frater Perdurabo
If Ozzie continues to play Paulie after he mailed it in on that ground out, he should be fired.

Sucking is one thing.

A horrible attitude from your so-called Captain is inexcusable.

AnkleSox
07-28-2008, 10:41 PM
There's a certain lifelessness that the Metrodome brings out in our ballclub, year after year. I find it strangely comforting, sorta like Christmas.

I think theres a certain lifelessness that the state of Minnesota brings out in anyone who goes there. What a hell hole.

SoxGirl4Life
At least DET was shutout tonight too. Misery loves company.

And the Yankees got pounded by the Orioles at home. :shrug: Maybe they wanna fire their hitting coach too.

Domeshot17
Bad effort by all, offense sucked, pitching sucked, Wasserman didn't get the memo but after him Masset sucked. Umps sucked. Twins didnt.

Need a good game out of the kid Tomorrow.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-28-2008, 10:42 PM
They took a giant dump.Tomorrow's another day.Go
get 'em kid.

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2008, 10:42 PM
If Ozzie continues to play Paulie after he mailed it in on that ground out, he should be fired.

Sucking is one thing.

I don't have the same pathological hatred of Paulie that you at times exhibit, but I agree...something's gotta happen with Paulie. He either has to be benched or "rehabbed."

Blueprint1
07-28-2008, 10:43 PM
I am sick of hearing about Konerko. I thought the BA crap was annoying. Be careful what you wish for.

NoShoesJoe
Horrible game - the only life was watching AJ foul one off his knee.

Bill Naharodny
They took a giant dump.Tomorrow's another day.Go
get 'em kid.

True. Therefore, tonight's game shall hereafter be entitled: "A Dump, In A Dump"

JB98
The Sox placed the leadoff hitter on base in five of the first six innings tonight - and they got shut out. Poor offense. Slowey has never had success against us in the past. He hasn't had success against anybody lately. I'm just a bit perplexed by the poor showing tonight. :scratch:

Wassermann had a nice couple innings out there. Masset continues to commit arson every time he sets foot on the mound.

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I am sick of hearing about Konerko. I thought the BA crap was annoying. Be careful what you wish for.
Everyone here wishes Paulie would get going and get going soon. It just looks like that's not going to happen though.

Frater Perdurabo

I'm sick of Paulie sucking.

The sun set in the West tonight.

kitekrazy

Sucking is one thing.

I noticed that too. He needs to bench him for a week just to take a break.

SoxGirl4Life
Everyone here wishes Paulie would get going and get going soon. It just looks like that's not going to happen though.

Yeah, but I agree, I'm sick of hearing about it over and over..

TheOldRoman
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Just awful. Shameful. Buehrle was terrible. At least he got that out of the way, though. I would be been much more pissed if he pitched a great game and took a loss because of a horrible non-effort by the offense against a ****ty pitcher. But he had our number today! He was just dealing!

Baseball is great because you never know what you are going to get. In April the Sox swung themselves into the ground and allowed Livan Hernandez to throw a complete game. I declared that the offense couldn't possibly get any lower than that performance. Once again, they proved me wrong. Let just hope we can get 5-6 solo homers tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
Yeah, but I agree, I'm sick of hearing about it over and over..

I'm sick of him sucking over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

WhiteSox5187
I think a vacation to Charlotte would do wonders for Paulie.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
The Sox placed the leadoff hitter on base in five of the first six innings tonight - and they got shut out.

Heaven forbid that any of these .230-.250 hitters in the lineup try sacrificing the runner over.

SpartanSoxFan

If that is the overwhelming feeling you get from your Christmas celebrations, I feel bad for you!!!

I did have a bad feeling about tonight, though, for whatever reason. The sad thing is I felt Buehrle gave us the best chance to win one of the two games I figured we'd steal up at that craptacular Hump dome.

WhiteSox5187
Just awful. Shameful. Buehrle was terrible. At least he got that out of the way, though. I would be been much more pissed if he pitched a great game and took a loss because of a horrible non-effort by the offense against a ****ty pitcher. But he had our number today! He was just dealing!

Baseball is great because you never know what you are going to get. In April the Sox swung themselves into the ground and allowed Livan Hernandez to throw a complete game. I declared that the offense couldn't possibly get any lower than that performance. Once again, they proved me wrong. Let just hope we can get 5-6 solo homers tomorrow.
This lineup is bipolar, they can get shut down by the Kevin Sloweys of the world one night and then destroy the CC Sabathia's the next. Hopefully tomorrow we destroy whoever the Twins throw out there and we can keep it going for the next three games.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey, where's Cliff? Maybe we throw him back into long relief

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Heaven forbid that any of these .230-.250 hitters in the lineup try sacrificing the runner over.
This team can't sacrifice. Just the way it was made.

JB98
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM

That's not going to help him. If and when he goes to the bench, it will be permanent - at least for this year.

Either he hits his way out or he doesn't. "A week off to clear his head" isn't going to do **** for him. He's had more than enough rest after his stint on the DL.

TheOldRoman
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
The Sox placed the leadoff hitter on base in five of the first six innings tonight - and they got shut out. Poor offense. Slowey has never had success against us in the past. He hasn't had success against anybody lately. I'm just a bit perplexed by the poor showing tonight. :scratch::?: Are you really perplexed? You act as if we haven't seen this act countless times over the last 7 years, particularly since 2006.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 10:50 PM
That's not going to help him. If and when he goes to the bench, it will be permanent - at least for this year.

Either he hits his way out or he doesn't. "A week off to clear his head" isn't going to do **** for him. He's had more than enough rest after his stint on the DL.

Not gonna happen.

EuroSox35
I love how he was going to his hair on almost every pitch

Woofer
The Sox have 45 losses for the year, and I believe I heard Hawk say we've been shut out 9 times? That sucks.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
The rest of the Sox hitters sucked tonight.

But for the whole year all the other hitters have been carrying PK's sucking rear end.

When is is their turn to be carried by the Captain?

JB98

Ozzie tried a couple of hit-and-runs tonight, which I like more than a bunt, and all we got were a couple of stinking pop-ups. The ball needs to get put in play on the turf in those situations.

PhillipsBubba
Ozzie pinch hit for Dye and Thome in the 9th...then even stranger...he lets PK hit for himself:scratch:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/misc/progress.gif

NoShoesJoe
BIG NEWS

The brat won the sausage race in Milwaukee tonight!

TheOldRoman
07-28-2008, 10:52 PM
The Sox have 45 losses for the year, and I believe I heard Hawk say we've been shut out 9 times? That sucks.Yes, but look at the bright side. If we score 12 runs tomorrow, we will have averaged 6 over the last two games. That is dominant.

It's Dankerific
07-28-2008, 10:52 PM

What worse could happen? 1b hitting .100 and making even more errors?

southsideirish71
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
This lineup is bipolar, they can get shut down by the Kevin Sloweys of the world one night and then destroy the CC Sabathia's the next. Hopefully tomorrow we destroy whoever the Twins throw out there and we can keep it going for the next three games.

This swing for the fence crap the minute you go down a run or so in the Baggydome hasnt worked in years. A line drive swing would be nice once in a while. I know you cant put a hole in the baggy with a line drive swing, but sometimes you can drive in a run with a RISP.

Guys like Verlander and CC force us to concentrate and make contact. Guys like Slowely throw slow enough where we employ the softball attack.

Oh and nice plan of attack tonight. A guy who doesnt strikeout a guy, we are putting his first pitch into play. Lke as in gettng behind in the count would kill us. Yet, we swing as hard as we can on those pitches, so we wind up with 2 strikes anyway.

JB98
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
:?: Are you really perplexed? You act as if we haven't seen this act countless times over the last 7 years, particularly since 2006.

I am perplexed because we've blasted Slowey in the past. If Perkins mows us down tomorrow, I won't be surprised in the least. After all, Perkins throws the ball with his left hand.

cleanwsox
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Left early, which I rarely ever do.... didn't miss anything.

Last 4 games I've attended... 3 runs total over 36 innings. :mad:

cards press box
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, that game was pretty awful. On the bright side, I have a hunch that Clayton Richard will pitch a gem tommorrow. Let's hope so.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
What is the problem with this team not being 'up' for such an important series. I don't care how many games are left, this is the most important series of the year. If they tailspin now, they won't have too much of a chance to regroup.

Put some dolls in the dugout again.

peeonwrigley
07-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Guh, that was ****ing wretched.

Gonna have to show a little more stones than that.

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:00 PM
What is the problem with this team not being 'up' for such an important series. I don't care how many games are left, this is the most important series of the year. If they tailspin now, they won't have too much of a chance to regroup.

There's still two months left. Even if they get swept, there is more than enough time to regroup.

And I don't think they will get swept. All they have to do is win one to leave Minnesota in first place.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Put some dolls in the dugout again.

It's July.

tstrike2000
07-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow, that was pure and utter garbage. I can't remember seeing so many check swing outs in one game. Buehrle didn't have as it obviously doesn't matter as it's pretty hard to win when you score zero. Dye and Quentin were the reasons we took 2 of 3 in Detoilet. If someone else could not ground out or pop the damn ball up in clutch situations, now's the time. Good thing is there's still time to at least pull out a split and get the hell out of the dump dome.

nkcomp
07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Nothing good can be said about this game.

Let's move on to tomorrow...

munchman33
There's still two months left. Even if they get swept, there is more than enough time to regroup.

And I don't think they will get swept. All they have to do is win one to leave Minnesota in first place.

Today was probably our best chance for a win, and we looked completely out of it in every facet of the game. I wouldn't put money on us winning a game. We looked absolutely pathetic out there.

NoShoesJoe
It's July.

Hardly. It's July 28th. Check your calendar.

Cuck the Fubs
07-28-2008, 11:05 PM

Sucking is one thing.

I've defended Konerko all year long.....but I have to be honest, when he mailed that grounder in I was furious. :angry:

Now, I support your theory 100% bench him now. Swisher moves to first, BA/Wise assume CF.

Slumping is one thing, lying down and not hustling is another.

That being said, let's get em tomorrow. All I was honestly expecting was a split. Let's at the minimum get that.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow, that was pure and utter garbage. I can't remember seeing so many check swing outs in one game.

If they called that foul ball a home run it might have changed things.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 11:09 PM
I hope a split is not too optimistic.

One game at a time. Need to get them tomorrow and have a quality start.

Jollyroger2
It's July.

So what? That means these games don't count? I think fans are sick and tired of seeing god-awful, let's not play hard or try (i.e. Konerko) type of efforts from this team, especially in key series. So it's July now. It will be August by the end of the week and before you know it, it will be October and there won't be any more chances to say nonsense like "it's still early" etc etc.

I'm sick and tired of this team laying eggs in Minnesota. There's nothing mystical about the Dome. It's a stinking warehouse with a plastic bag for a roof. The Twins are a pretty good team but they're hardly invincible. Getting shut down by a bum that we've already hammered is a disgrace. It's not the umpires, it's not the super-powered AC units...it's not the Twins slap hits...the Sox simply do not play well up there and at this point it's pretty much in their head permanently so.

Man this is frustrating. The Sox are a much better team than they show in games like this.

sox1970

:scratch:

EuroSox35
07-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Mass 'bench Konerko' email to Ozzie!

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 11:10 PM
So what? That means these games don't count? I think fans are sick and tired of seeing god-awful, let's not play hard or try (i.e. Konerko) type of efforts from this team, especially in key series. So it's July now. It will be August by the end of the week and before you know it, it will be October and there won't be any more chances to say nonsense like "it's still early" etc etc.

I'm sick and tired of this team laying eggs in Minnesota. There's nothing mystical about the Dome. It's a stinking warehouse with a plastic bag for a roof. The Twins are a pretty good team but they're hardly invincible. Getting shut down by a bum that we've already hammered is a disgrace. It's not the umpires, it's not the super-powered AC units...it's not the Twins slap hits...the Sox simply do not play well up there and at this point it's pretty much in their head permanently so.

Man this is frustrating. The Sox are a much better team than they show in games like this.

Right on

Jim Shorts
07-28-2008, 11:12 PM

I'm not sure how anyone thought it was fair...

Red Barchetta
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I've defended Konerko all year long.....but I have to be honest, when he mailed that grounder in I was furious. :angry:

Now, I support your theory 100% bench him now. Swisher moves to first, BA/Wise assume CF.

Slumping is one thing, lying down and not hustling is another.

That being said, let's get em tomorrow. All I was honestly expecting was a split. Let's at the minimum get that.

Paulie's grandslam in the 2005 WS was probably my favorite moment as a fan. However, that was three seasons ago and his inconsistency is frustrating to watch. It's not the statistics, rather his body language and attitude that will continue to hurt the team.

It's not his fault the SOX lost tonight, however similar to the barrel role at home plate a few years at the Metrodome, his action or re-action says a lot.

Best slump buster - go the opposite way. I remember when he used to drive the ball to RCF. What happened?

SoxandtheCityTee
07-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I hate that place. No matter what the new ball park is like it can't be the same ugly hole of depressing plastic blueness that is the TrashBagDome.

Bad game. Let's pick up a game or two over the next few days and get out.

Jim Shorts
Paulie's grandslam in the 2005 WS was probably my favorite moment as a fan. However, that was three seasons ago and his inconsistency is frustrating to watch. It's not the statistics, rather his body language and attitude that will continue to hurt the team.

It's not his fault the SOX lost tonight, however similar to the barrel role at home plate a few years at the Metrodome, his action or re-action says a lot.

Best slump buster - go the opposite way. I remember when he used to drive the ball to RCF. What happened?

Time happened. Paulie aged a lot the last two years. The problem is that his head won't allow him to adjust.

Shoeless_Jim
very frustrating...especially Konerko how about Wise in center and Swish at 1st because Konerko is obviously not doing his part.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I like PK as much as anybody, but his body language and lack-of-leadership on the field is telling. I don't know or care how he is in the clubhouse, but the lethargic play on the field seems to be contagious.

Domeshot17
07-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Why we are giving Swisher a free pass? Im not saying Paulie has been anything resembling good, but Swisher has been healthy all year, and only hitting 9 points higher. The only thing comparable Swisher has done is about twice the Walks, but hes been Erstad grindy bad. You can't dump Paulie until Swisher shows hes any better.

I just don't get what making Paulie the martyr really does? Does it make any of starting pitchers pitch less crappy, nope. Buehrle Danks Javy and Gavin all still would have thrown horse **** games with or without him. Does it make AJ stop popping balls up, Ramirez get a clue at 2b, Swisher all the sudden better, Fields stop making errors? There are 3 guys doing their part right now on offense, Q Thome and Dye, everyone else has been piss poor. And to top it off, it won't matter much if our pitching decides to take the rest of the year off.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Why we are giving Swisher a free pass? Im not saying Paulie has been anything resembling good, but Swisher has been healthy all year, and only hitting 9 points higher. The only thing comparable Swisher has done is about twice the Walks, but hes been Erstad grindy bad. You can't dump Paulie until Swisher shows hes any better.

Don't want to dump Paulie, just want him to have an epiphany. Like Jake Blues at the Triple Rock.

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:19 PM

Maybe they should platoon them at 1B. I don't know. All I know is that six and seven in our batting order aren't doing a thing right now.

DickAllen72
07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Another sloppy ballgame played by the Sox. You can get away with playing sloppy against the Tigers but you can't beat the Twins playing sloppy baseball.

As for the offense, Konerko has had plenty of time to show that he can still hit. Now it's time for someone else to get an opportunity. They seem to play beter when Paulie doesn't play anyway.

Paulie was our hero in the 2005 World Series but he's hurting the 2008 team. It's time for him to sit. It's sad, but that's baseball.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Hardly. It's July 28th. Check your calendar.

:scratch: I did. J-U-L-Y. Check yours.

Domeshot17
07-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Maybe they should platoon them at 1B. I don't know. All I know is that six and seven in our batting order aren't doing a thing right now.

I'm not even saying you don't bench him, but it just seems the PK haters here are relishing in this instead of realizing outside of trading everything we have for Mark Texiera, the 2nd best option is letting PK hit out of it.

The idea that Swish can't hit when he plays OF is dumb, he was at first the other day, did nothing. You don't gain a damn thing offensively by running out Swisher and Anderson.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure how anyone thought it was fair...

I didn't see it but I guess the ump originally signaled it fair.

Chisox353014
07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Left early, which I rarely ever do.... didn't miss anything.

Last 4 games I've attended... 3 runs total over 36 innings. :mad:

Yeah, pretty much the same for me. I got suckered into going to that ****hole again against my better judgment...never again. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable about being there unless the Sox are winning.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 11:28 PM
:scratch: I did. J-U-L-Y. Check yours.

Gimme a break. July is over - especially when the month-ending series is against the twins. We could leave MN on July 31st .5 game out of 1st. After 3 mos in 1st place, that's devastating. Maybe too much to take - a momentum shift like that.

TDog

Sucking is one thing.

The people with the "fire Gullen" arguments can do better than that.

They're still overreacting.

The Sox didn't get a hit tonight with a runner in scoring postition. They only got one hit with a runner in scoring position in Detroit, but in Detroit they had innings where they got more than one hit.

As poorly as Texas hit in the Metrodome (three runs in three games) before tearing the cover off the ball at home and in Chicago and Oakland, I am wondering how well visiting teams are picking up the ball. As well Detroit and Chicago hit this weekend in Detroit, its interesting that both teams hit the road and were shut out tonight. The Tigers, of course, lead the league in both shutouts and games in which they have scored 19 runs.

I'm hoping the Sox will hit better in the Metrodome as the series progresses. The Twins have a great homefield advantage, and they are especially good in the first games of series. They are 13-4 in greeting visiting teams, that includes two of their three wins against the Sox.

I'm not saying the Sox will have an easy time winning Tuesday. The day after Perkins shut out the Rangers 6-0, the Twins behind Hernandez beat the Rangers 14-2. The Twins are tougher at home and other teams don't play as well in the Metrodome.

It is only July, of course. There is a story about the 1964 Yankees getting swept in a four-game series by the first-place White Sox, to fall 4.5 games behind on August 20 after John Buzhardt best Whitey Ford 5-0. On the bus-ride to O'Hare, there was an incident involving Phil Linz and a harmonica. The Sox won 10 of their last 11 games in 1964 and ended up with 98 wins, one game behind the Yankees.

It's a long season. The Sox won seven of nine from the Twins this year, and those two looses were uglier than tonight -- 12-5 with Danks starting and 13-1 with Buehrle starting.

Tonight was just one game. The Sox will be back. And they are still in first place. They came back from looking even worse this season.

kitekrazy

I think you summed it up about "it's all in their heads".

If you want to jump off the ledge now, feel free.

Frater Perdurabo
I'm not even saying you don't bench him, but it just seems the PK haters here are relishing in this instead of realizing outside of trading everything we have for Mark Texiera, the 2nd best option is letting PK hit out of it.

The idea that Swish can't hit when he plays OF is dumb, he was at first the other day, did nothing. You don't gain a damn thing offensively by running out Swisher and Anderson.

You think I'm relishing having a player, paid $12 million to do nothing but hit, not hit? Removing PK's bad attitude from the lineup is addition by subtraction. And at least with Anderson, you put great defense in the game that helps the pitchers and one less base clogger in the lineup.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Gimme a break. July is over - especially when the month-ending series is against the twins. We could leave MN on July 31st .5 game out of 1st. After 3 mos in 1st place, that's devastating. Maybe too much to take - a momentum shift like that.

:rolleyes:

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Definitely true. BA isn't going to spark our offense. Swisher is a below average hitter no matter what position he plays.

The key question remains: How long do you wait for Paul Konerko? I wouldn't send him to the bench yet either, but I'm concerned. I haven't see any signs that he's going to come out of it yet.

Thome's not going to see anything to hit with Konerko batting behind him. That's another factor in the discussion.

peeonwrigley
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM

Yeah, I've been very disappointed in Swisher and Konerko this season. At this point I'd platoon them I guess, but its not like they're keeping a stud on the bench. Its a matter of weighing BA's defense versus the hope that PK or Swisher can turn it on.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: to your :rolleyes:

This game is built on momentum. The Twins have done this to us before and sent us reeling.

Soxman219
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
One of the post I read in this thread is right on. There is nothing mystic about that dump of a stadium. We just didn't want to win tonight I guess. But this road trip is starting to become similar to that road trip on the West Coast.

May 9-18
3 @ SEA - won 2/3
4 @ LAA - split 4 games, lost the first two
3 @ SF - sweep

We won two out of three in Detriot and lost the first game in Minnesota. Does anyone think it will be the exact same?

Let's get them tomorrow, don't forget the Twins are notorious for scoring less than 3 runs after they score 6 or more runs the previous game.

LoveYourSuit
07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
It is starting to appear that JR was one contract too early on the "diminished skills" clause of a deal.

I don't recall Thomas ever being this bad when he was healthy.

NoShoesJoe
07-28-2008, 11:36 PM
One of the post I read in this thread is right on. There is nothing mystic about that dump of a stadium. We just didn't want to win tonight I guess. But this road trip is starting to become similar to that road trip on the West Coast.

May 9-18
3 @ SEA - won 2/3
4 @ LAA - split 4 games, lost the first two
3 @ SF - sweep

We won two out of three in Detriot and lost the first game in Minnesota. Does anyone think it will be the exact same?

Let's get them tomorrow, don't forget the Twins are notorious for scoring less than 3 runs after they score 6 or more runs the previous game.

No. Different points in the season, different teams, different lineups and injuries. No.

Less than 3 runs still beats a shutout.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 11:36 PM
:rolleyes: to your :rolleyes:

This game is built on momentum. The Twins have done this to us before and sent us reeling.

You've hated this team since before Opening Day. Anything to knock the Sox down a peg and you are on cloud nine.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Recap story. Ozzie comments:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080728&content_id=3216499&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I've been very disappointed in Swisher and Konerko this season. At this point I'd platoon them I guess, but its not like they're keeping a stud on the bench. Its a matter of weighing BA's defense versus the hope that PK or Swisher can turn it on.

It's not an easy decision, especially when you consider Konerko's track record. He can carry a team when he gets hot. We've seen him do it. By benching him, you might be cheating yourself out of that opportunity.

But then you see Paulie swing hopelessly late on Slowey's 88 mph heater and strikeout, and you just shake your head with dismay.

I'm in pain watching Konerko right now, I really am. It's just sad.

Domeshot17
07-28-2008, 11:39 PM
You think I'm relishing having a player, paid $12 million to do nothing but hit, not hit? Removing PK's bad attitude from the lineup is addition by subtraction. And at least with Anderson, you put great defense in the game that helps the pitchers and one less base clogger in the lineup.

Just watched the replay of the hit you are in arms about, from the replay it LOOKED (and again I dont know) like he thought he fouled it off, and took off once he saw it was fair.

AJ did the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago, hit a grounder to first he thought was foul and never even left the batters box, should we kick him off too?

Cuck the Fubs
07-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Just to be clear.........

It's certainly not Konerko's fault in anyway, shape or form tonight.

I also agree Swisher ain't lighting it up either.

However, Paul's body language is speaking volumes, esp with dogging that run to first.

If he's not going to hit, I would rather see the White Sox tighten up the defense with BA/Wise in CF and Swish at 1st.

Trust me, I love Paulie to death, but something is either physically bothering him, or he's just beaten himself to death mentally that he can't climb out of the hole.

While the Sox certainly could get swept in the Dome, anyone who thinks the season is over based on that is foolish.

dickallen15
07-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Let's get one thing straight, Paulie didn't dog it tonight. He thought he hit a foul ball. Once he realized it was fair, he ran as hard as he could, which isn't very fast.

It's Dankerific
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
It's not an easy decision, especially when you consider Konerko's track record. He can carry a team when he gets hot. We've seen him do it. By benching him, you might be cheating yourself out of that opportunity.

But then you see Paulie swing hopelessly late on Slowey's 88 mph heater and strikeout, and you just shake your head with dismay.

I'm in pain watching Konerko right now, I really am. It's just sad.

The passage of time is the passage of time. He hasn't carried a team since 2006. Thats a long time.

It is not possible that a replacement could do worse for the same amount of time that PK has. NOT POSSIBLE.

Cuck the Fubs
07-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Let's get one thing straight, Paulie didn't dog it tonight. He thought he hit a foul ball. Once he realized it was fair, he ran as hard as he could, which isn't very fast.

To me it looked that way.........that's just me.

You say tomato I say toma toe :wink:

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:46 PM

Agreed.

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
The passage of time is the passage of time. He hasn't carried a team since 2006. Thats a long time.

It is not possible that a replacement could do worse for the same amount of time that PK has. NOT POSSIBLE.

You have no credibility on the topic whatsoever. We all know what your agenda is.

It's Dankerific
07-28-2008, 11:49 PM
You have no credibility on the topic whatsoever. We all know what your agenda is.

Yeah, my manifesto titled "THE BA Manifest Destiny".

Put ****ing Juan Uribe at 1st. It can't be any worse for that amount of time. WHY? because if any other player sucked that long and that hard, they'd be benched. Want an example, look at Exhibit A, Brian Anderson.

Please be serious.

Cuck the Fubs
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
The thing that really worries me about Konerko is he's known for being very hard on himself.

With his current situation, he's got to not only be pressing to the max, but when he can't come up with the big hit he's got to be beating himself up badly. Which leads to more pressing. Which usually leads to bad things & prolonged slumps.

He could come back and catch fire....but August is a week away...It's getting close to the point where he's kinda running out of time here.

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah, my manifesto titled "THE BA Manifest Destiny".

Put ****ing Juan Uribe at 1st. It can't be any worse for that amount of time. WHY? because if any other player sucked that long and that hard, they'd be benched. Want an example, look at Exhibit A, Brian Anderson.

Please be serious.

I am serious.

It's Dankerific
07-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Also, I'm all for sending BA to AAA if they'll bring a 1b from the minors and sit Konerko's ass on the bench. Why? because the team matters to everyone not named Paul Konerko.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Because the team matters to everyone not named Paul Konerko.

Thome is stroking his ego by not bunting!

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:54 PM
The thing that really worries me about Konerko is he's known for being very hard on himself.

With his current situation, he's got to not only be pressing to the max, but when he can't come up with the big hit he's got to be beating himself up badly. Which leads to more pressing. Which usually leads to bad things & prolonged slumps.

He could come back and catch fire....but August is a week away...It's getting close to the point where he's kinda running out of time here.

When the road trip is over, I think they need to use the Aug. 4 off-day to evaluate the situation. Let's see what takes place the next six games. Let's see where we are in the standings come next Monday morning.

JB98
07-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Also, I'm all for sending BA to AAA if they'll bring a 1b from the minors and sit Konerko's ass on the bench. Why? because the team matters to everyone not named Paul Konerko.

Gibberish.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Maybe you should pay attention more to what happens in professional sports. How is that devastating? Did you pay attention what was happening in baseball on the North side? The season ends Sept.28.
Momentum changes every week in baseball. If the Sox get swept they are 2 1/2 back. Do you think the team is going to mail it in?
No one is going to run away with the division lead.

The Twins are always dominate at home. They had the benefit of having more home games so far. I could see it your way if the Twins were owning the Sox at the Cell.

It's Dankerific
07-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Gibberish.

What does that even mean?

Its practically August and we're talking about waiting for someone to break out of a slump. The man has a history of not only "carrying a team for weeks" but for having season long slumps (2003).

Because of his history with the White Sox, is there anything he can do warrant a benching in your eyes?

Its not right for you to say to me its all about BA. When PK sat on saturday I said i would have prefered it to be both but 1/2 wasn't bad.

JB98
07-29-2008, 12:07 AM

Its practically August and we're talking about waiting for someone to break out of a slump. The man has a history of not only "carrying a team for weeks" but for having season long slumps (2003).

Because of his history with the White Sox, is there anything he can do warrant a benching in your eyes?

Its not right for you to say to me its all about BA. When PK sat on saturday I said i would have prefered it to be both but 1/2 wasn't bad.

You're not even reading. I've said several times, including in this thread, that at some point it will have to be considered. Perhaps soon. That day is not today or tomorrow.

So, yes, you are posting gibberish. Just ranting and raving because I don't agree with you.

TDog
07-29-2008, 12:08 AM

The Twins have a winning percentage of .648 in the Metrodome. They have a winning percentage of .765 in the first games of home series. I think it is farfetched to believe the season is over. They preveiously beat Buehrle 13-1 in Chicago, and Danks came back to beat them the next day.

You might find the day's game thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100885)an interesting read. The postgame thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100899) is particulalrly pessimistic, but in light of what have happened in nearly three months since, may provide some perspective after tonight's loss. The game even inspired a thread debating the wisdom of scrapping the season in favor of rebuilding.

kitekrazy
07-29-2008, 12:09 AM
There is nothing mystic about that dump of a stadium.

It is for the Twins.

The trend is that most teams don't have a winning record on the road except for the Angels and no one comes close to their away record.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
For what it's worth, I just got an e-mail from one of the Sox beat writers up in Minnesota tonight.

Swisher is out of the lineup on Tuesday...Konerko MAY be out of the lineup on Wednesday.

Lip

munchman33
07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
You've hated this team since before Opening Day. Anything to knock the Sox down a peg and you are on cloud nine.

If that's what you really think you should go back and reread my posts from before the season. Just because I don't subscribe to kool-aid like a cubs fan would doesn't mean I want the team to perform poorly.

Anybody acting like today is in any way okay needs to lay off the kool-aid or needs their head examined. We're in trouble. Our pen is in shambles, our rotation is crumbling, and we're relying on an offense that's been the major complaint even from kool-aid drinkers all year.

Tomorrow we're starting a rookie. Then two guys who, if they pitch good enough to win, it'll be the first time in the second half that's happened. And now there are reports Linebrink might be out for most of the rest of the year?

Yeah, things are great. No need to worry at all. Munchman's being paranoid.

Tragg
07-29-2008, 12:12 AM
This team can't sacrifice. Just the way it was made.
Why would you want it to sacrifice? We score 0 runs, and we need to make more intentional outs?

Sacrificing makes sense ONLY if you have lock down pitching and defense to keep the opposition from scoring such that 2 or 3 runs is all you need....the Sox have neither lock down pitching or defense. (Bunting also makes sense in certain situations - like tie game in the 9th)

This pitcher of the Twins' doesnt' walk many but usually gives up hits. Well, not surprisingly, the Sox didn't walk against him, but didn't hit either.

JB98
07-29-2008, 12:13 AM
If that's what you really think you should go back and reread my posts from before the season. Just because I don't subscribe to kool-aid like a cubs fan would doesn't mean I want the team to perform poorly.

Anybody acting like today is in any way okay needs to lay off the kool-aid or needs their head examined. We're in trouble. Our pen is in shambles, our rotation is crumbling, and we're relying on an offense that's been the major complaint even from kool-aid drinkers all year.

Tomorrow we're starting a rookie. Then two guys who, if they pitch good enough to win, it'll be the first time in the second half that's happened. And now there are reports Linebrink might be out for most of the rest of the year?

Line said himself he hopes to be back by mid-August. That's three weeks. There are still nine weeks left in the season.

Brian26
07-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Konerko MAY be out of the lineup on Wednesday.

Lip

Time to give back Daubach the starting 1B job.

JB98
07-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Time to give back Daubach the starting 1B job.

Russ Morman isn't available? :D:

itsnotrequired
07-29-2008, 12:16 AM

You want the team to perform poorly so as to validate your off-season views. If the team sux, you are vindicated and "told us so". If the team rulz, you can relish in the glory and simply say "well, i was wrong. good thing i was!".

Maybe I should hate on the team this upcoming winter as well.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x26/ballstein12/ythinkingzw2bc5.gif

It's Dankerific
07-29-2008, 12:19 AM
You're not even reading. I've said several times, including in this thread, that at some point it will have to be considered. Perhaps soon. That day is not today or tomorrow.

So, yes, you are posting gibberish. Just ranting and raving because I don't agree with you.

I did read your posts. I merely just used your post as a starting point of my thoughts on Konerko, you responded by saying what I said was meaningless because I like BA. I honestly didn't think you would respond like that to my post.

Your follow up posts made me wonder when you would consider benching PK since its not today or tomorrow, but its almost august.

In any case, you should be happy that PK gets to play everyday, regardless of my ranting and raving.

Rockabilly
07-29-2008, 12:24 AM
We should have traded PK this past off season..

Noneck
07-29-2008, 12:26 AM
We should have traded PK this past off season..
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts what a Merry Christmas we all would have.

munchman33
07-29-2008, 12:29 AM
You want the team to perform poorly so as to validate your off-season views. If the team sux, you are vindicated and "told us so". If the team rulz, you can relish in the glory and simply say "well, i was wrong. good thing i was!".

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x26/ballstein12/ythinkingzw2bc5.gif

Oh bull****. If that was the case, I'd have been down on our team in previous years, which has not always been the case.

Take the goggles off.

RockJock07
07-29-2008, 12:30 AM
I guess what bothers me is the lack of effort and just lackluster attitudes all game, and not just from Paulie. I know that tomorrow if they come out and put up 10 in the 1st it really doesn't matter but i would have been nice to see them give a **** tonight.

Plus IMO I'll give Swisher a pass because he can play mulitple positions as well as takes a ton of walks and is younger, although this year has not been great.

munchman33
07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Line said himself he hopes to be back by mid-August. That's three weeks. There are still nine weeks left in the season.

And you believed him?

Because he was already supposed to come back a lot sooner.

kitekrazy
07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Our pen is in shambles, our rotation is crumbling, and we're relying on an offense that's been the major complaint even from kool-aid drinkers all year.

Tomorrow we're starting a rookie.

I wonder where the Sox would be if it weren't for the youth of this team who performed well the 1st half while many of the veterans were choking.
They won't make it very far in the post season without Konerko, Javi, Contreras performing the way they are.

I do worry about the rookie when guys are one base. If you don't hold the runner on, the Twins will take advantage of it. If he throws a no hitter tomorrow then everything will be fine.

Mark B. was due for a bad outting. It happened to Verlander.

itsnotrequired
07-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Oh bull****. If that was the case, I'd have been down on our team in previous years, which has not always been the case.

Take the goggles off.

:shrug:

TheOldRoman
07-29-2008, 12:34 AM
You've hated this team since before Opening Day. Anything to knock the Sox down a peg and you are on cloud nine.You want the team to perform poorly so as to validate your off-season views. If the team sux, you are vindicated and "told us so". If the team rulz, you can relish in the glory and simply say "well, i was wrong. good thing i was!".

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x26/ballstein12/ythinkingzw2bc5.gifYou are correct. His comments before our four game sweep of the Twins were particularly hilarious. I think it was along the lines of "we will be lucky to win a game, this will be the last time all season we are in first, its a sinking ship".

FYI, you are probably going to get hammered by morons saying "Just because I don't drink Kool-Aid doesn't mean I hate the Sox. Admitting they suck doesn't mean you are anti-Sox. I'm not a moron living in the past. ZOMG 2005!!!"

kitekrazy
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Why would you want it to sacrifice? We score 0 runs, and we need to make more intentional outs?

It might look better than the usual "intentional outs" they are good for. Pulling the ball with men on base, or popping out with men on base, swinging at the first pitch with men on base, swinging for the fence, keeping Konerko in the line up....those are the intentional outs I'm tired of.

munchman33
07-29-2008, 12:42 AM
You are correct. His comments before our four game sweep of the Twins were particularly hilarious. I think it was along the lines of "we will be lucky to win a game, this will be the last time all season we are in first, its a sinking ship".

FYI, you are probably going to get hammered by morons saying "Just because I don't drink Kool-Aid doesn't mean I hate the Sox. Admitting they suck doesn't mean you are anti-Sox. I'm not a moron living in the past. ZOMG 2005!!!"
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1978900#post1978900

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1979074#post1979074

No, people like you just like to paint me as extreme and hateful so you can go right back to the kool-aid.

07-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Why I keep paying money to watch this garbage is beyond me...

TheOldRoman
07-29-2008, 12:47 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1978900#post1978900

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1979074#post1979074

No, people like you just like to paint me as extreme and hateful so you can go right back to the kool-aid.I was referring to your posts before the 4 game sweep in June.

munchman33
07-29-2008, 12:56 AM
I was referring to your posts before the 4 game sweep in June.

Any in particular? All I can find are me bad-mouthing Swisher (who by the way is STILL a .240 hitter).

FedEx227
07-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Any in particular? All I can find are me bad-mouthing Swisher (who by the way is STILL a .240 hitter).

Say the man who STILL considers batting average a useful stat.

whitesox901
07-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Say the man who STILL considers batting average a useful stat.

I know I do

cards press box
07-29-2008, 01:46 AM
The Twins have a winning percentage of .648 in the Metrodome. They have a winning percentage of .765 in the first games of home series. I think it is farfetched to believe the season is over. They preveiously beat Buehrle 13-1 in Chicago, and Danks came back to beat them the next day.

You might find the day's game thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100885)an interesting read. The postgame thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100899) is particulalrly pessimistic, but in light of what have happened in nearly three months since, may provide some perspective after tonight's loss. The game even inspired a thread debating the wisdom of scrapping the season in favor of rebuilding.

You make excellent points. Even after this loss, the Sox still have a .567 winning percentage. That means, of course, that they lose 43.3% of the time. I just don't understand how one loss sends some people here flying off the ledge, especially with over 2 months left. For some people, it seems to be the same cycle over and over: (1) go completely and excessively overboard after a loss, (2) come back to reality and, as Ed Farmer says, "come in off the ledge," (3) enjoy the next winning streak and (4) forget all lessons learned and repeat cycle after next tough loss. To quote John Wooden, "goodness gracious, sakes alive!"

If the Sox can manage a split in the godawful Metrodome, I'll be more than satisfied.

IronFisk
07-29-2008, 01:46 AM

holy hell can we exhibit a tad more patience?!

we're not flub fans ya know! :cool:

FedEx227
07-29-2008, 01:48 AM
You make excellent points. Even after this loss, the Sox still have a .567 winning percentage. That means, of course, that they lose 43.3% of the time. I just don't understand how one loss sends some people here flying off the ledge, especially with over 2 months left. For some people, it seems to be the same cycle over and over: (1) go completely and excessively overboard after a loss, (2) come back to reality and, as Ed Farmer says, "come in off the ledge," (3) enjoy the next winning streak and (4) forget all lessons learned and repeat cycle after next tough loss. To quote John Wooden, "goodness gracious, sakes alive!"

I'm not going to fly off the edge, those days are a bit behind me. But the reason most people are worked up is the way we lose to the Twins. We get out-played, out-defended, out-smarted, out-hustled... all the time. It's a constant with us versus the Twins. Especially today, not running out grounders and a complete lack of a gameplan against Slowey was just a joke.

cards press box
07-29-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm not going to fly off the edge, those days are a bit behind me. But the reason most people are worked up is the way we lose to the Twins. We get out-played, out-defended, out-smarted, out-hustled... all the time. It's a constant with us versus the Twins. Especially today, not running out grounders and a complete lack of a gameplan against Slowey was just a joke.

Slowey pitched a complete game, 6 hit shutout. He only walked one batter. Under these circumstances, any team would look flat.

The Sox still lead the season series 7-5. With good efforts from their young starters, the Sox can still salvage this series.

FedEx227
07-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Slowey pitched a complete game, 6 hit shutout. He only walked one batter. Under these circumstances, any team would look flat.

Not many teams have 16% of their losses from shutouts. That's pathetic.

BadBobbyJenks
07-29-2008, 03:03 AM
The score doesn't roll over does it? I don't think we have much of a chance either if tomorrow's game starts with us already behind 7-0. When was this passed?

This game was a train wreck, but it is over.

PeteWard
07-29-2008, 03:09 AM
The score doesn't roll over does it? I don't think we have much of a chance either if tomorrow's game starts with us already behind 7-0. When was this passed?

This game was a train wreck, but it is over.

This thread is a trainwreck.:mad:

whitesox901
07-29-2008, 03:14 AM
This thread is a trainwreck.:mad:

More like a disasterpiece

ms620
07-29-2008, 06:30 AM

Sucks to watch a first place team...

It's Dankerific
07-29-2008, 06:31 AM

The only time 1st place matters is at the end of 162 games, not july

ms620
07-29-2008, 06:36 AM

I have said many times on here that I support waiting for PK to break out of the slump. Everyone always asks when is the final straw. I think it is this trading deadling. Clearly KW and Ozzie think their best lineup right now is Swish in center and PK at first. They need to acquire someone. THat wont be easy though. And if they dont, we all know Ozzie is gonna stick with PK for a while more. Maybe as we approach September you will see more games with the BA/Wise platoon, but it wont be a "benching". They wont do that to Pauly, unless they acquire someone, and at that time, he will still see some playing time, unless they put him on the DL. Regardless, I will not believe for 1 second that PK is completely done. His performance for the last year + has been terrible, but I think he will bounce back. Lets all stop this PK/BA stuff to atleast Friday, which is after the deadling. Then if nothing happens, debate away. Until then, it is pointless to repeat the same PK stuff everyday.

ms620
07-29-2008, 06:37 AM
The only time 1st place matters is at the end of 162 games, not july

Clearly you dont get what i said. He said that he should stop paying money to watch this. My point is that regardless of the last few weeks, paying money to watch the Sox as a Sox fan was a pretty good investment so far, as its almost AUgust and they are in first. Not a tough concept.

It's Dankerific
07-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Clearly you dont get what i said. He said that he should stop paying money to watch this. My point is that regardless of the last few weeks, paying money to watch the Sox as a Sox fan was a pretty good investment so far, as its almost AUgust and they are in first. Not a tough concept.

And I'm saying that it can be more frustrating for a fan who feels their first place team is pissing away a chance at October than a fan watching a 2nd place team improving and playing better ball all year. It really doesn't matter what the standings are until a) you clinch or b) you're eliminated.

I don't understand why its a tough concept for people to grasp that being in first place doesn't cleanse all the imperfections or **** play of a team at any one time.

ms620
07-29-2008, 06:51 AM
And I'm saying that it can be more frustrating for a fan who feels their first place team is pissing away a chance at October than a fan watching a 2nd place team improving and playing better ball all year. It really doesn't matter what the standings are until a) you clinch or b) you're eliminated.

I don't understand why its a tough concept for people to grasp that being in first place doesn't cleanse all the imperfections or **** play of a team at any one time.

I understand that. However, my point is coming in to this season, if someone told you the Sox would be 1.5 games up on July 29, you would take it in a second. Obvsiously it can be real frustrating. But thats the way it is for 99% of teams every year, especially first place teams. Have the Ray, Red Sox, Yankees not gone through "frustrating times"? How about the Mets, Cubs, Diamondback? Every team goes through spans like this. But if you ask me if I would rather be or not be in first on July 29th, i think I would take first.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 07:55 AM
When the road trip is over, I think they need to use the Aug. 4 off-day to evaluate the situation. Let's see what takes place the next six games. Let's see where we are in the standings come next Monday morning.

Fair enough, but to do so eliminates the possibility of a non-waiver trade to fill a hole (either CF or 1B).

To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem asking Houston what they'd want for Darin Erstad. :o:

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Fair enough, but to do so eliminates the possibility of a non-waiver trade to fill a hole (either CF or 1B).

To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem asking Houston what they'd want for Darin Erstad. :o:
Ridiculous. He has a line of .277/.318/.386 and you want to acquire that. I wouldn't give up a pair of socks for Darin Erstad at this point.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Ridiculous. He has a line of .277/.318/.386 and you want to acquire that. I wouldn't give up a pair of socks for Darin Erstad at this point.

He's hitting better than Paulie.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Great. So are a lot of guys. You literally chose the worst player in baseball hitting better than Paulie. Were you on a stranded island last season?

Law11
07-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Geez what happens around here if the sox actually fall out of first place for a time.. Guess the season is over..

ondafarm
07-29-2008, 08:50 AM

I get that a lot.

oeo
07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Just have to shake this one off and go get 'em tonight. Still counts as only one loss, and who thought we were going to sweep a 4 game series at that dome?

ondafarm
07-29-2008, 08:51 AM

So is Mendoza.

ondafarm
07-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Just have to shake this one off and go get 'em tonight. Still counts as only one loss, and who thought we were going to sweep a 4 game series at that dome?

Hate to agree with OEO, but he's right.

Besides, first games of series at the dome are virtual gifts to the Twinkies anyways. That's why removing them from the dome next year will kill the franchise.

oeo
07-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Hate to agree with OEO, but he's right.

Besides, first games of series at the dome are virtual gifts to the Twinkies anyways. That's why removing them from the dome next year will kill the franchise.

They still have one more year. They don't move into their new place until 2010.

wdelaney72
07-29-2008, 08:59 AM
:scratch:

Looked pretty foul to me.

HAWK: "Well, that ball was already well over the pole, it could have still been fair".

Uh, no Hawk... it was clearly foul. But nice try.

russ99
07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Well, that really sucked. But it's only one game. Let's get em' tonight.

Fungo
07-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Let's get them tomorrow, don't forget the Twins are notorious for scoring less than 3 runs after they score 6 or more runs the previous game.They probably didn't get to face Dick Clayton the following day either.

I know, I know, I think it sounds better this way.

Red Barchetta
07-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Just to be clear.........

It's certainly not Konerko's fault in anyway, shape or form tonight.

I also agree Swisher ain't lighting it up either.

However, Paul's body language is speaking volumes, esp with dogging that run to first.

If he's not going to hit, I would rather see the White Sox tighten up the defense with BA/Wise in CF and Swish at 1st.

Trust me, I love Paulie to death, but something is either physically bothering him, or he's just beaten himself to death mentally that he can't climb out of the hole.

While the Sox certainly could get swept in the Dome, anyone who thinks the season is over based on that is foolish.

I agree. I think it's going to be like this for the rest of the season. This year's team is very streaky and when they lose, they lose ugly. It's better just to accept that. If we take the next three, I don't think many of us will be too upset. If they split, that's OK too, however getting swept or only winning 1 game will hurt going into August.

At this point, put Wise back in CF and platoon Swisher/Konerko. I hate to say it, however it seemed like the team played better when Paulie was on the DL.

hawkjt
07-29-2008, 09:30 AM
The old cliche is that things always look better in the morning...and it still holds for me.

Bright side:

Wasserman looked decent
Still 1.5 games up
only 6 more games vs the twins.
Still lead the season series 7-5
Tigers lost.
Sox could win the next three games by one run each and end up scoring less runs and taking the series...7-0 or 70-0 , it is only one loss.
Richard has pitched in the dome before vs the U. of Minny.
Jose Contreras had a strong bullpen session where Cooper said the ball was jumping out his hand again, he was throwing over the top again, and he said he felt rejuvenated...a good Jose could make a huge difference in the second half.
Joe Crede said he had bp without any discomfort and also said he feels ready to get hot the second half.
Liney said he will be back by mid-august ,rested and ready to roll.

Ozzie is sitting Swish tonite and going with BA in that big center field vs lefty perkins tonite and probably going with wise and swish on wednesday which is the shakeup that is probably needed.

So, all in not lost,gang. Go get them tonite Clayton. And if we lose...we are still in first place and it is July 29.

palehozenychicty
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Definitely true. BA isn't going to spark our offense. Swisher is a below average hitter no matter what position he plays.

The key question remains: How long do you wait for Paul Konerko? I wouldn't send him to the bench yet either, but I'm concerned. I haven't see any signs that he's going to come out of it yet.

Thome's not going to see anything to hit with Konerko batting behind him. That's another factor in the discussion.

I think he's been pressing the entire year, aside from that hot stretch in June and early July. Maybe Ozzie should tell him to grow that mane out again from his Oakland days? :dunno:

Jollyroger2
07-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I think you summed it up about "it's all in their heads".

If you want to jump off the ledge now, feel free.

Ah yes, the inevitable "go jump off a ledge" type comment. Yawn. God forbid some of us fans want this team to actually play to the level they're capable of most of the time. What's frustrating is that they don't show up in games like this, or when they drop 2 of 3 to KC, or get swept by Detroit after sweeping the Twins earlier this season. And that's just a few examples. There's no excuse to get shut down by a bum like Slowey. And some fans are tired of it. If this team played to its whole potential we'd have a significant division lead by now.

But hey if you're satisfied with mediocrity or watching this shlock for three hours more power to you.

oeo
07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Ah yes, the inevitable "go jump off a ledge" type comment. Yawn. God forbid some of us fans want this team to actually play to the level they're capable of most of the time. What's frustrating is that they don't show up in games like this, or when they drop 2 of 3 to KC, or get swept by Detroit after sweeping the Twins earlier this season. And that's just a few examples. There's no excuse to get shut down by a bum like Slowey. And some fans are tired of it. If this team played to its whole potential we'd have a significant division lead by now.

But hey if you're satisfied with mediocrity or watching this shlock for three hours more power to you.

Ah yes, the inevitable "if you're satisfied with mediocrity" type comment.

Please, Jollyroger. It was one game. They don't show up in games like this? Did you miss the Detroit series?

I thought they were putting good swings on Slowey early in the game. Unfortunately they were hit right at guys, and we couldn't get anything going. Then things just kind of snowballed after Buehrle gave up the homeruns. Oh well, it happens; it's one game.

munchman33
07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I think he's been pressing the entire year, aside from that hot stretch in June and early July. Maybe Ozzie should tell him to grow that mane out again from his Oakland days? :dunno:

His numbers are pretty much on par with his career. :dunno:

I think the problem is most of you expected him to come here and be a good player, when he's never been anything more than average to slightly above average. He's done exactly what he was supposed to. If you aren't happy with it, you problably shouldn't have been happy with the move to acquire him in the first place. Asking any more of him is unreasonable. He is what he is.

oeo
07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
His numbers are pretty much on par with his career. :dunno:

Career: .247/.358/.452
2008: .226/.347/.395

You're right, you don't know.

munchman33
07-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Please, Jollyroger. It was one game. They don't show up in games like this? Did you miss the Detroit series?

I thought they were putting good swings on Slowey early in the game. Unfortunately they were hit right at guys, and we couldn't get anything going. Then things just kind of snowballed after Buehrle gave up the homeruns. Oh well, it happens; it's one game.

I'm less concerned with the "showing up" stuff as I am about our pitching just continuing to be bad. And last night we were throwing our only guy not pitching like ****.

jabrch
07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
It was one game. They don't show up in games like this? Did you miss the Detroit series?

DING DING

munchman33
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Career: .247/.358/.452
2008: .226/.347/.395

You're right, you don't know.

It isn't that far of a drop, and a good week levels that back out. And this wouldn't be the first year he hit around .230. AND that .347 line isn't a career worst or anything...

slavko

So you're saying that you do gain defensively? Then do it. BA can suck at hitting as well as PK and in the unlikely event he gets on base, can actually run. So there's an overall gain. You got something against gains? PK is headed for the RHDH role, IMO.

oeo
It isn't that far of a drop, and a good week levels that back out. And this wouldn't be the first year he hit around .230. AND that .347 line isn't a career worst or anything...

That would be an incredible week to bring that SLG up.

And his plate discipline hasn't been a problem. It's just that he's not hitting the ball.

Face it, this has been the worst year of his career, overall. This isn't Nick Swisher no matter how many times you keep telling yourself it is.

mccoydp
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Geez what happens around here if the sox actually fall out of first place for a time.. Guess the season is over..

Could you imagine the post-game thread if the Sox fall to .5 games behind the Twinkies? It would be a nuclear disaster of apocalyptic proportions!

Get 'em tonight, fellas.

Jollyroger2
07-29-2008, 11:08 AM

I don't post often in the game threads or afterwards, but they're really interesting to read. I love seeing the "it's one game" type comments over and over each time the team plays like %$#@. Well, those "one games" add up. No, I didn't miss the Detroit series. We were very lucky to pull out a couple wins there, unlike our last visit to Detroit which was another letdown. Or losing two of three to KC. Or any number of the other games this year where this team just didn't even look like they wanted to show up. The same pitcher we shellacked earlier this year, and who had been getting shelled by everyone else, we can't do anything with???

Unfortunately, Konerko did an excellent job portraying the "we don't care" type of effort the team gave last night. Even the Twins TV announcers commented on it. The games aren't exhibitions, they count, no matter if it's still July or not. And some of us aren't happy about it. They could have made a statement by going up there and at least battling in the opening game...instead they rolled over like submissive pooches, like it's expected for them to play like garbage up there. I'm tired of it. But I guess it's ok since it's just one game. But those one games are adding up....

oeo
07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't post often in the game threads or afterwards, but they're really interesting to read. I love seeing the "it's one game" type comments over and over each time the team plays like %$#@. Well, those "one games" add up. No, I didn't miss the Detroit series. We were very lucky to pull out a couple wins there, unlike our last visit to Detroit which was another letdown. Or losing two of three to KC. Or any number of the other games this year where this team just didn't even look like they wanted to show up. The same pitcher we shellacked earlier this year, and who had been getting shelled by everyone else, we can't do anything with???

Unfortunately, Konerko did an excellent job portraying the "we don't care" type of effort the team gave last night. Even the Twins TV announcers commented on it. The games aren't exhibitions, they count, no matter if it's still July or not. And some of us aren't happy about it. They could have made a statement by going up there and at least battling in the opening game...instead they rolled over like submissive pooches, like it's expected for them to play like garbage up there. I'm tired of it. But I guess it's ok since it's just one game. But those one games are adding up....

Look, there's still three games in this series left. I've seen this team bounce back from bad losses and bad series many-a-time this year. They're not just going to let the Twins walk all over them.

And how many times are we going to take the opinion of the Twins announcers? Bert Blyleven is a ****ing prick...who cares what he has to say?

Law11
07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm tired of it. But I guess it's ok since it's just one game. But those one games are adding up....

But its just One game...

Seriously you think the Sox are the only ones to have lousy games?
EVERY team goes through 10-15 games a year where they just dont click and look like they dont care.
Its expected when you play for 6 straight months...

munchman33
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM

And his plate discipline hasn't been a problem. It's just that he's not hitting the ball.

Face it, this has been the worst year of his career, overall. This isn't Nick Swisher no matter how many times you keep telling yourself it is.

His 2005 season was worse, he had a .322 obp. But yes, that was his rookie year. And this is his worst year since then. Still, obp is what this guy does. And he's pretty on par with his career numbers. His slugging is down, but it was never great to begin with. When you say "he's not hitting the ball," I don't think you understand the kind of player Swisher is. Because he's not the kind of player that does "hit the ball" a lot. The guy has never even had a 150 hit season.

russ99
07-29-2008, 11:32 AM

IMO: There's really only one thing Nick needs to do to really get things going at the plate, and that's to be a lot more aggressive late in the count. I understand that drawing walks is a big part of his game, but he's been letting way too many hittable strike-threes go by without swinging.

Also, I'd like to see the Sox come out slashing on the first pitch tonight since it looks like the Twins gameplan is to get ahead in the count early and take away a lot of the 2-1 and 3-1 counts that Sox hitters seem to thrive off of. Taking a first pitch strike, like we did way too much last night gives their pitchers a huge 0-1 advantage and changes the whole mentality of the hitter.

30DaysintheHole
07-29-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm thinking this is a series where the Sox get embarrassed the first game, then come back completely fired up. Anyone with me on that?

07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
holy hell can we exhibit a tad more patience?!

we're not flub fans ya know! :cool:

I'm referring to the Sox recent performances in the 'Dome, which I have attended. Not good.

07-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Yes, it sucks ass to watch a first place team lose time after time in the Metrodome while I sit in attendance. Pretty easy for you watching on your couch...

TwinKess
07-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I ended up deciding to go to the game at the last minute. Went straight from work and had a great time. Was worried about MB, seems like he is our nemesis sometimes, but we got to him.

Dye's foul ball landed two seats away from me, in the seat my buddy had just left (boy is he kicking himself now!) I'm in the blue reaching for the ball that wedged itself in the seat. Didn't get it, but the guy who did gave it to a 10 year old, so I don't feel too bad.

Got home and watched the post game show to see if I would make the highlight reel.

EDIT: Holy hell those things come in fast. Never could tell if it was fair or foul because I kept my eye on the ball

FedEx227
07-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Also, I'd like to see the Sox come out slashing on the first pitch tonight since it looks like the Twins gameplan is to get ahead in the count early and take away a lot of the 2-1 and 3-1 counts that Sox hitters seem to thrive off of. Taking a first pitch strike, like we did way too much last night gives their pitchers a huge 0-1 advantage and changes the whole mentality of the hitter.

The last thing this team needs to do is go up there first pitch swinging. The fact that our team is inept at 0-1 and 0-2 hitting is more of the problem. It doesn't hurt most of the guys in the league who take first pitches around 70% of the time, Grady Sizemore included.

Domeshot17
07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
So you're saying that you do gain defensively? Then do it. BA can suck at hitting as well as PK and in the unlikely event he gets on base, can actually run. So there's an overall gain. You got something against gains? PK is headed for the RHDH role, IMO.

There is no doubt you gain defensively. The speed thing is moot, how many teams in the league get speed from their 1b and DH? Not Many. Speed should be coming from 2/3 of your OF position with the odd man out still having average speed. Speed from 3b is rare, middle IF needed, 1b rare and C rare. DH is almost non existent.

My point was, Swisher is not hurting you in CF. He is not BA, but the Sox will be a better team in October if we let PK work his stuff out, Swish work his stuff out, and hope both those guys are hitting then.

I think the next move, at this point, is to drop PK to the 8 hole and bump someone like Ramirez or Fields into the 6.

JB98
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Disagree. We can still make an acquisition for CF and send Wise back to the waiver wire.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Disagree. We can still make an acquisition for CF and send Wise back to the waiver wire.

But the player we acquire would have to clear waivers, too.

JB98
07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Could you imagine the post-game thread if the Sox fall to .5 games behind the Twinkies? It would be a nuclear disaster of apocalyptic proportions!

Get 'em tonight, fellas.

If we drop the next two, I will be somewhere far, far away from this message board Wednesday night.

It's Dankerific
07-29-2008, 02:15 PM
If we drop the next two, I will be somewhere far, far away from this message board Wednesday night.

But you'll miss the recreation of the classic Frankenstein scene!

JB98
07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
But the player we acquire would have to clear waivers, too.

No, I'm saying CF is a hole on this club. We can address it before Thursday, if the opportunity presents itself, and DFA Wise. Then, you've got a solution for CF, and you can move Swisher to 1B full-time in the event that a Konerko benching or DL stint becomes necessary.

downstairs
07-29-2008, 02:18 PM
If the Sox relinquish first place, I don't see them getting it back.

It's Dankerific
07-29-2008, 02:23 PM

The way things are going, they could easily get it back the next day. this is a crazy post.

Lets not get to that point, anyway.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM
No, I'm saying CF is a hole on this club. We can address it before Thursday, if the opportunity presents itself, and DFA Wise. Then, you've got a solution for CF, and you can move Swisher to 1B full-time in the event that a Konerko benching or DL stint becomes necessary.

OK, I think we're clear now. I was responding to your suggestion to use the August 4 off day as a decision-making day. I must have misunderstood your suggestion and misread it as weighing all the options to consider a trade on that day. I have no problem trading for a CF, but I want the new CF to be better than BA. Mark Kotsay or Randy Winn would be an upgrade over BA. David DeJesus would be a massive upgrade over BA. Let's get one of those three ASAP!

JB98
07-29-2008, 02:31 PM
OK, I think we're clear now. I was responding to your suggestion to use the August 4 off day as a decision-making day. I must have misunderstood your suggestion and misread it as weighing all the options to consider a trade on that day. I have no problem trading for a CF, but I want the new CF to be better than BA. Mark Kotsay or Randy Winn would be an upgrade over BA. David DeJesus would be a massive upgrade over BA. Let's get one of those three ASAP!

Yeah, they've gotta get somebody who is better than BA to justify a move. I know all the talk is about Konerko, but I'm not thrilled with Swisher's play lately either. If both those guys continue to struggle, we can carry one of them, but not both.

At least Swisher has had a couple hot streaks this year, but overall he's been a disappointment. A .226 average is terrible, and he's been getting himself out by swinging early in the count and swinging at bad pitches lately.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, they've gotta get somebody who is better than BA to justify a move. I know all the talk is about Konerko, but I'm not thrilled with Swisher's play lately either. If both those guys continue to struggle, we can carry one of them, but not both.

At least Swisher has had a couple hot streaks this year, but overall he's been a disappointment. A .226 average is terrible, and he's been getting himself out by swinging early in the count and swinging at bad pitches lately.

Who do you think the Sox would have to give up to get Winn, Kotsay or DeJesus (obviously DeJesus would cost the most, given that he's on a division rival and is playing the best of those three)?

palehozenychicty
07-29-2008, 02:41 PM
For Winn, I'm guessing the Giants need volume in position prospects, which we don't really have other than middle infielders.

palehozenychicty
07-29-2008, 02:44 PM

He really hasn't looked comfortable from the beginning. He doesn't really have a position either, until they figure out what to do with Konerko. :(:

oeo
07-29-2008, 02:45 PM

With two months left? :scratch:

Some of you are taking this series a little too seriously. Every series against a division rival is important, but this series isn't going to kill us, even if we did get swept. There are still two months to go...lots of baseball.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 02:48 PM
The Sox have a chance to win the division and the World Series this year. Any prospect or prospects are expendable if they can bring us back a player who can put us over the hump.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Is DeJesus even available? I would love him but he's the best player on an improved KC team...not really sure they want to get rid of him. I don't know who we would trade either...KC already has a young third baseman with a lot of potential so I don't see them having a use for Fields.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Is DeJesus even available? I would love him but he's the best player on an improved KC team...not really sure they want to get rid of him. I don't know who we would trade either...KC already has a young third baseman with a lot of potential so I don't see them having a use for Fields.

I'm sure KC isn't shopping him, but anyone should be available for the right price.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2008, 02:54 PM
With two months left? :scratch:

Some of you are taking this series a little too seriously. Every series against a division rival is important, but this series isn't going to kill us, even if we did get swept. There are still two months to go...lots of baseball.

Agreed. These games are big because every win is also a Minnesota loss and we get the whole "control your own destiny thing." But the loss yestrerday is the same result if we lose a game to KC and Minnesota beats Cle.

kittle42
07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Ah yes, the inevitable "go jump off a ledge" type comment. Yawn.

Don't forget "dark clouds" and, my personal least favorite, "pants pissers."

kitekrazy
07-29-2008, 03:53 PM

Great reply.

kitekrazy
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
The Sox have a chance to win the division and the World Series this year. Any prospect or prospects are expendable if they can bring us back a player who can put us over the hump.

I see it a bit differently. They are too inconsistent to win the Series.
Are there any prospects another GM would want?
It doesn't seem there are going to be any fire sales this season.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I see it a bit differently. They are too inconsistent to win the Series.
Are there any prospects another GM would want?
It doesn't seem there are going to be any fire sales this season.

If you can make the playoffs, you've got a shot. Obviously there are no guarantees.

But if the Sox can get consistent production from either 1B or CF, their odds of both making, and advancing in, the playoffs improve significantly.

(Clearly they could benefit from a pitching boost, too.)

Hitmen77
07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
The old cliche is that things always look better in the morning...and it still holds for me.

Bright side:

Wasserman looked decent
Still 1.5 games up
only 6 more games vs the twins.
Still lead the season series 7-5
Tigers lost.
Sox could win the next three games by one run each and end up scoring less runs and taking the series...7-0 or 70-0 , it is only one loss.
Richard has pitched in the dome before vs the U. of Minny.
Jose Contreras had a strong bullpen session where Cooper said the ball was jumping out his hand again, he was throwing over the top again, and he said he felt rejuvenated...a good Jose could make a huge difference in the second half.
Joe Crede said he had bp without any discomfort and also said he feels ready to get hot the second half.
Liney said he will be back by mid-august ,rested and ready to roll.

Ozzie is sitting Swish tonite and going with BA in that big center field vs lefty perkins tonite and probably going with wise and swish on wednesday which is the shakeup that is probably needed.

So, all in not lost,gang. Go get them tonite Clayton. And if we lose...we are still in first place and it is July 29.

15 more games to play there before the Sox never have to play at the Metrodome ever again. :angry: