PDA

View Full Version : Mets-Marlins

Viva Medias B's
07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla - I am vacationing here the early part of this week and will be taking in tonight's Mets-Marlins game at Dolphin Stadium. The Fighting Fish are currently two games behind the Metropolitans for first place in the NL East, and it should be an interesting series to see if the upstart Marlins can beat Jerry Manuel's Mets.

whitesoxwilkes
07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla - I am vacationing here the early part of this week and will be taking in tonight's Mets-Marlins game at Dolphin Stadium. The Fighting Fish are currently two games behind the Metropolitans for first place in the NL East, and it should be an interesting series to see if the upstart Marlins can beat Jerry Manuel's Mets.

TORONTO, ON - I am currently in Toronto on business and will be catching the Tampa Bay Rays-Toronto Blue Jays tilt tomorrow night.

Hard to believe the Rays are ahead of the Jays in the standings. Locals here say baseball just doesn't matter anymore, and the new MLS team is now more popular. Halladay on the bump tomorrow which should be cool to see.

whitesox901
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM

I hope its Mets v. Marlins all the way to the end, Ive never liked the Phillies, and over the course of the year it seems to be a good race so far, hope it continues to be

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 04:18 PM
That's a big series. The Mets starters have been exceptional recently and pretty solid the whole season, but their bullpen is a bag of tricks. If they hit, I think they win the division.

The Marlins need one more year to get their starters stabilized. They may have to move some of those young players to get better defense in the infield, because they make too many defensive errors to give the arms a chance. This is the main reason for Tampa's marked improvement: infield defense. They've hung in there, but I doubt they can last.

Enjoy, and give us feedback. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Ever been there? I was there for the first time a week & a half ago (some of my pictures are in the gallery) and will be checking back to see what you thought of it. I felt very enclosed, even though the park holds over 60,000. I've been to other ballparks that also serve as football fields (The Vet, McAffee Coliseum, and Qualcomm), but this one felt small to me for some reason.

One thing I liked a lot was the LED ribbon board near the left field corner that alternates and details each out-of-town game. It gives the opponents, the pitcher, who's at-bat, the inning, and the count on him.

fusillirob1983
07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
TORONTO, ON - I am currently in Toronto on business and will be catching the Tampa Bay Rays-Toronto Blue Jays tilt tomorrow night.

Hard to believe the Rays are ahead of the Jays in the standings. Locals here say baseball just doesn't matter anymore, and the new MLS team is now more popular. Halladay on the bump tomorrow which should be cool to see.

I had no idea Toronto got a new soccer team.

scarsofthumper
07-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I had no idea Toronto got a new soccer team.
Yup, Toronto FC

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Well, I went to the Marlins game last night at Dolphin Stadium and thought I was attending a road White Sox game circa 2003. The crowd as 23K plus change, and I'd say it was probably 60 percent Marlins fans versus 40 percent Mets fans. They were really going back and forth with "LET'S GO METS!" followed by "LET'S GO MARLINS!" For a crowd that size, it has a college football game intensity to it.

In short, the Marlins piled on five runs on six hits in the bottom of the 8th inning. Jerry Manuel's quick pitcher hook, not to mention his beloved double switch, was on display in that inning, and it cost his Metropolitans. As Met fans were leaving during the onslaught, Marlins fans (especially in the right field endzone) were booing them loudly as they walked up the aisles to the exit. The Fighting Fish are now one game back of the first place Mets and a game out of second behind Philadelphia.

As for Dolphin Stadium itself, its concession options are extremely limited. They only sell kosher hot dogs. Nothing wrong with selling kosher dogs of course, but they should offer regular hot dogs as well like our ballpark does. Also, not all the concession stands behind the baseball portion of the stands are open. I guess they don't staff well. Also, the out of town scoreboard was consistently behind real time. I had to keep going to my cell phone to see how wonderfully our team was doing. What I really liked were the LED digital scoreboards in each endzone. They showed everything. I think this is something the White Sox ought to consider putting on the center field scoreboard. Hopefully, the Marlins will get that new stadium built on the site of the now gone Orange Bowl.

palehozenychicty
07-29-2008, 09:52 AM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Well, I went to the Marlins game last night at Dolphin Stadium and thought I was attending a road White Sox game circa 2003. The crowd as 23K plus change, and I'd say it was probably 60 percent Marlins fans versus 40 percent Mets fans. They were really going back and forth with "LET'S GO METS!" followed by "LET'S GO MARLINS!" For a crowd that size, it has a college football game intensity to it.

In short, the Marlins piled on five runs on six hits in the bottom of the 8th inning. Jerry Manuel's quick pitcher hook, not to mention his beloved double switch, was on display in that inning, and it cost his Metropolitans. As Met fans were leaving during the onslaught, Marlins fans (especially in the right field endzone) were booing them loudly as they walked up the aisles to the exit. The Fighting Fish are now one game back of the first place Mets and a game out of second behind Philadelphia.

As for Dolphin Stadium itself, its concession options are extremely limited. They only sell kosher hot dogs. Nothing wrong with selling kosher dogs of course, but they should offer regular hot dogs as well like our ballpark does. Also, not all the concession stands behind the baseball portion of the stands are open. I guess they don't staff well. Also, the out of town scoreboard was consistently behind real time. I had to keep going to my cell phone to see how wonderfully our team was doing. What I really liked were the LED digital scoreboards in each endzone. They showed everything. I think this is something the White Sox ought to consider putting on the center field scoreboard. Hopefully, the Marlins will get that new stadium built on the site of the now gone Orange Bowl.

Maine was pulled because of his shoulder. He has an MRI today. Manuel's actually been better about letting the starters pitch in Flushing. Although he screwed up with Johan last Tuesday against the Phils by not letting him start the ninth. The Phils came back with six runs and won.