PDA

View Full Version : Javy Vazquez-No big game pitcher

sox230
07-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I was thinking after Javy's latest catastrophe in Detroit, looked back on his career and realized this guy just plain chokes for good teams. In 2006, it was all about how he sucked in the sixth inning, and if he was just decent that season (along with other pitchers) we could have made the playoffs. In 2007, Javy was awesome, but guess what? The team stunk and there was never pressure. When he went to the Yankees (where there is always pressure) he completely failed. He was great in Montreal because his teams always sucked and there was never pressure. Now as I write this and he hasn't won a game in six weeks, what do we do to make him perform well for a good team????

jdm2662
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
This has been said over and over again here for a while now.

whitesox901
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I was thinking after Javy's latest catastrophe in Detroit, looked back on his career and realized this guy just plain chokes for good teams. In 2006, it was all about how he sucked in the sixth inning, and if he was just decent that season (along with other pitchers) we could have made the playoffs. In 2007, Javy was awesome, but guess what? The team stunk and there was never pressure. When he went to the Yankees (where there is always pressure) he completely failed. He was great in Montreal because his teams always sucked and there was never pressure. Now as I write this and he hasn't won a game in six weeks, what do we do to make him perform well for a good team????

He was performing in April, May, June when there was aslo pressure and we were (and still are) a good team

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I think Vazquez is performing to his career norms. He will have flashes of greatness, but that's it.

Irishsox1
07-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Javy has been reduced to being an innings eater. As much as he sucked (again), he still pitched into the seventh and the Sox needed that. The guy has been consistently inconsistent and that leads to frustration because just when you think he's turned the corner, he gives a 3 run homerun.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Like Hal said, in his time with the Sox, his best season was when the team was awful.

He's got electric stuff as evidenced by the number of strikeouts yet despite that, somehow he seems to get tagged for four, five, six runs a start.

I can't understand it.

Lip

BadBobbyJenks
07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
2 quality starts in July one of them being a complete game 10k performance and this guy is all of a sudden the worst pitcher since Jaime Navarro.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
2 quality starts in July one of them being a complete game 10k performance and this guy is all of a sudden the worst pitcher since Jaime Navarro.

I'm just hoping this will take some of the heat of Konerko.

Got to blame someone.

JB98
07-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Yeah, he's not that bad. "Frustrating" and "enigmatic" would be two words I would use to describe Javy. When thinking of Navarro, the word "horse****" comes to mind.

Javy has good stuff. He just has too many mental lapses to be a consistent pitcher. He lets failure get in his head too much. He lets bad calls from the umpires bother him. There's a combination of things that have led him to be a .500 pitcher at this point in his career.

He can dominate a lineup, but he can also make you bang your head against the wall.

asindc
07-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, he's not that bad. "Frustrating" and "enigmatic" would be two words I would use to describe Javy. When thinking of Navarro, the word "horse****" comes to mind.

Javy has good stuff. He just has too many mental lapses to be a consistent pitcher. He lets failure get in his head too much. He lets bad calls from the umpires bother him. There's a combination of things that have led him to be a .500 pitcher at this point in his career.

He can dominate a lineup, but he can also make you bang your head against the wall.

Ding, ding, ding!! No more calls, we have a winner!

Jimmy Piersall
07-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't think anyone will ever put Javy in the big-game category
and rightfully so.Even Contreras who gets as much **** tossed
his way (and i have done my share) has come thru in the past
and would be more deserving of that moniker.We are gonna
need at least one of these guys to step up asap and keep it
up thru September.

mccoydp
07-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Any any of this is news? Seems blindly obvious to me. :redneck

TDog
07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Vazquez didn't pitch that much worse than Floyd or Danks. Floyd kept the Sox in the game when he didn't have anything. He struggled through to a quality start. Danks pitched better but gave up more runs.

Sunday wasn't a big game. All games are important, but Friday's game was bigger.

Brian26
07-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Sunday wasn't a big game. All games are important, but Friday's game was bigger.

To a certain extent, every head-to-head matchup with the Twins and Detroit from here on out is "big" because you're talking about a two game swing with each win or loss. However, I agree that Friday's game was bigger in terms of setting the tone for the series.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Javy has pitched big games before. He's just streaky, and probably not as good he pitched last year.

I'd still trust Javy over the rest of the season more than I do Gavin or Danks, who haven't been there and are showing signs of a slump. Javy's worked out of funks before.

fquaye149
07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm just hoping this will take some of the heat of Konerko.

Got to blame someone.

Don't count on it. Konerko sux.

Vazquez may or may not be a choke artist. We'll see. He hasn't looked good lately, but then again, who has?

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Vazquez didn't pitch that much worse than Floyd or Danks. Floyd kept the Sox in the game when he didn't have anything. He struggled through to a quality start. Danks pitched better but gave up more runs.

The difference is the defense really let Floyd down (he should have only given up one earned run, but the scorer gave him three and even Stone said to give him three earned runs was a joke) the defense cost Danks two big runs...I'm not so sure how badly the defense let down Javy. There was that DP ball that Uribe bobbled a bit and that led to one run...but it wasn't the nightmare that Friday's game was.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I think Vazquez is performing to his career norms. He will have flashes of greatness, but that's it.

I don't get it. He's paid $10M a year and some think that is "ace" money. Middle relievers have been paid close to that. MLB is filled with starters like this except they may not give you the innings like Javi.

The Sox haven't been in the post season since 2005 so there hasn't been a "big game" available for Javi.

I don't see how a failing to sweep a team in their own yard would qualify as a big game.

BadBobbyJenks
07-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Biggest game of the year and Buehrle chokes!!! Mark Sux! He just is not a big game pitcher! **** *** ***** ****** ****** ****! Forget 2005, He is finished!!!!!!!!!! UGH!

Teal Police

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Biggest game of the year and Buehrle chokes!!! Mark Sux! He just is not a big game pitcher! **** *** ***** ****** ****** ****! Forget 2005, He is finished!!!!!!!!!! UGH!Wow. Nice hyperbole. On every count.

itsnotrequired
07-29-2008, 05:56 AM
I don't get it. He's paid $10M a year and some think that is "ace" money. Middle relievers have been paid close to that. MLB is filled with starters like this except they may not give you the innings like Javi.

The Sox haven't been in the post season since 2005 so there hasn't been a "big game" available for Javi.

I don't see how a failing to sweep a team in their own yard would qualify as a big game.

Javy is making a mere $1.5 million more than Gagne. Who would people rather have on their team?

fquaye149
07-29-2008, 06:01 AM
No ****. In what universe is 10MM ace money?

Maybe in 1998

Chicken Dinner
07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Either the whole staff is suddenly underperforming, or they were overperforming for the first 100 games.

fquaye149
07-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Either the whole staff is suddenly underperforming, or they were overperforming for the first 100 games.

Not exactly groundbreaking analysis.

What's most likely is that they were overperforming SLIGHTLY the first half and are now underperforming substantially.

slavko
07-29-2008, 10:14 AM
This leaves us with approximately zero Big Game Pitchers. We have Crafty Lefties. We have Inconsistent But Talented Righties. We have had at least two "Aces" at various times this year if I remember previous threads. The truth is, we have approximately zero real aces.

It's still a good staff and we lead our division, so we could still do some good things.