6-game homestand: 3 v SEA, off day R 8/21, 3 v TB
9+ game road trip: 3+ @ BAL, off day R 8/28, 3 @ BOS, 3 @ CLE
10 game homestand: 3 v LAA, 4 v TOR, 3 v DET
10-game road trip: 4 @ NYY, 3 @ KC, 3 @ MIN
Last three at home: 3 v CLE
29 home games
29+ road games
3 off days
27 games against contenders (10 home, 17 road)
9 left with KC
6 left with CLE
3 left with SEA

Here's the Twins remaining schedule:
7 game homestand: 4 v SOX, 3 v CLE
6-game road trip: 3 @ SEA, off day R 8/7, 3 @ KC
9-game homestand: 3 v NYY, off day R 8/14, 3 v SEA, 3 v OAK
14-game road trip: 4 @ LAA, 3 @ SEA, 4 @ OAK, off day M 9/1, 3 @ TOR
6-game homestand: 3 V DET, off day M 9/8, 3 v KC
10-game road trip: 3 @ BAL, 3 @ CLE, 4 @ TB
6-game homestand: off day M 9/22, 3 v SOX, 3 v KC
28 home games
30 road games
5 off days
25 games against contenders (13 home, 12 road)
9 left with KC
6 left with CLE
6 left with SEA

The Sox have the advantage of one less road game and one more home game. The Twins have the advantage of three more games against Seattle, but those games are in Seattle. We get to play Tampa Bay and Toronto at home, the Twins have to play in Toronto and Tampa. But they are more comfortable playing on turf. They get to play us seven more times in their Hump Dump. We have a 2.5 game lead right now.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 09:12 AM
We've been losing games to the likes of Kansas City. If we don't start pitching better, it isn't going to matter who we play.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah, it's going to be close. If the pitching staff can recover, that may be enough. The Twins have to play the Yankees again next week, and that's a golden opportunity to get a game or two back, since they turn into pumpkins around the Pinstripes. We'll see.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
The Twins have an easier schedule opponent wise but they have a 14 game road trip in August because of the RNC Convention and a 10 game road trip in September (as do we). They also have a 3 game West Coast Trip, like we do. That doesn't bode well for a young team.

doublem23
07-28-2008, 09:40 AM
We've been losing games to the likes of Kansas City. If we don't start pitching better, it isn't going to matter who we play.

:rolleyes:

Just like in March and April, when we didn't have a chance to compete with Cleveland and Detroit, and were foolish for playing for this year.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/shoodbeblonde91/quit_bitchin.gif

The Sox are in 1st place. It's the last week of July. How much more do you want to enjoy this?

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
The Twins are pitching and hitting above their season averages since the AS break. The Sox, on the other hand, are pitching and hitting below their season averages.

Both teams are finnally playing at their norms, with the Sox overacheaving all season and the Twins underperforming.[/munchmann]

sox1970
07-28-2008, 09:53 AM
73-53 on August 21, and go 18-18 after that. We should be in.

hawkjt
07-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Twins play 24 of their last 36 games on the road...If the sox could get to Sept 1 in the lead...they should be in decent shape to hang on.

But august is going to be brutal.

voodoochile
07-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Post of the weAk (of heart)...

:chickenlittle:

PorkChopExpress
07-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Here's the Sox remaining schedule:
7 road games: 4 @ MIN, 3 @ KC 4-3
off day Mon 8/4
10-game homestand: 3 v DET, 4 v BOS, 3 v KC 6-4
Short West Coast trip: 3 @ OAK 1-2
6-game homestand: 3 v SEA, off day R 8/21, 3 v TB 4-2
9+ game road trip: 3+ @ BAL, off day R 8/28, 3 @ BOS, 3 @ CLE 5-5
10 game homestand: 3 v LAA, 4 v TOR, 3 v DET 4-6
10-game road trip: 4 @ NYY, 3 @ KC, 3 @ MIN 5-5
Last three at home: 3 v CLE 3-0
29 home games
29+ road games
3 off days
9 left with KC
6 left with CLE
3 left with SEA

I predict the above records for us, which will give us a 32-27 record for the remainder of the year putting us at 91-71 on the season. Might be enough, but it will be close.

delben91
07-28-2008, 11:16 AM

You're right, the Sox are hosed. I give up. :whiner:

ondafarm
07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I predict that in the White Sox starting pitching continues to turn in a lot of quality starts, the defense generally holds and the offense in general continues to deliver, then the White Sox will win the division. If any of those fail, then I think the Twins or Tigers will win the division.

doublem23
07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
I predict that in the White Sox starting pitching continues to turn in a lot of quality starts, the defense generally holds and the offense in general continues to deliver, then the White Sox will win the division. If any of those fail, then I think the Twins or Tigers will win the division.

Don't go too far out on a limb. :D:

munchman33
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Post of the weAk (of heart)...

:chickenlittle:

You think we'd win the division getting one quality start every five days? :?:

I didn't say we'd lose the division, just that we would if the rotation continued to not perform.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM

You think the Twins will? Twins starters have one quality start in their last six games.

Sox lead the league in quality starts.

:shrug:

Zisk77
07-28-2008, 12:16 PM

Tigers are 3-6 vs. Kc
Twins are 7-2 vs. KC
Sox 6-3 vs. KC

So we had a bad series against the royals coming out of the break...what other bad team beat us?

Are starters have struggled as a unit for a couple of weeks now for the firts time this year but our offense has finally shown up. We knew at some time our pitching would struggle especially with young guys hitting a wall.

But let me see go 3-3 on a roadie before the as break have a 3-3 homestand and start a 10 game roadie 2-1 and its a downward spiral. 8-7 total

twins get swept in Boston -0-3 then take 3 of 4 from tiggers before break. after break win 2or 3 at home vs texas then get swept in NY for 3 and win 2 out of 3 in cleveland. And they are this pitching rich juggernaut 7-9 total:scratch:

God your gloom and doom is annoying. Why not route for the tiggers or twinks you'll be happier?

Everybody in out division is concerned with their pitching but would you trade our staff for the tigers or the twins?

If we play well the rest of the way we will win the division. If we don't we won't that simply.

Frankfan4life
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the Twins have Francisco Liriano waiting in the wings. Apparently, he's done with rehab and he's pitching quite well in the minors. What a boost he'll be down the stretch for the Twins once he's called up.

This is a cause for concern.

Bucky F. Dent
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
As was mentioned above, it's not the schedule that I am worried about, it's the starting pitching. Our boys need to find their confidence or it won't matter who or where we play. I'm talking to you, Javy!

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the Twins have Francisco Liriano waiting in the wings. Apparently, he's done with rehab and he's pitching quite well in the minors. What a boost he'll be down the stretch for the Twins once he's called up.

This is a cause for concern.

I don't think anyone is ignoring this possibility. AAA hitters are a lot different than Major League hitters. Liarano has always had good stuff, even when his ERA was above 11 in the majors. The difference is, if he falls behind or misses his sports in AAA he can still get guys out...not so much here.

Liarano would be an improvement over Hernandez, but the Twins like his verteran leadership...they are in no hurry to bring up Liriano at this time.

And even if he comes in and is lights out...at this point he has a max of 10 or so starts. Seeing as whoever he replaces in those games would surely when some of those games, he probably has a marginal impact of 3 or 4 wins at the most. Could be significant, could be meaningless.

whitesox901
07-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Tigers are 3-6 vs. Kc
Twins are 7-2 vs. KC
Sox 6-3 vs. KC

So we had a bad series against the royals coming out of the break...what other bad team beat us?

Are starters have struggled as a unit for a couple of weeks now for the firts time this year but our offense has finally shown up. We knew at some time our pitching would struggle especially with young guys hitting a wall.

But let me see go 3-3 on a roadie before the as break have a 3-3 homestand and start a 10 game roadie 2-1 and its a downward spiral. 8-7 total

twins get swept in Boston -0-3 then take 3 of 4 from tiggers before break. after break win 2or 3 at home vs texas then get swept in NY for 3 and win 2 out of 3 in cleveland. And they are this pitching rich juggernaut 7-9 total:scratch:

God your gloom and doom is annoying. Why not route for the tiggers or twinks you'll be happier?

Everybody in out division is concerned with their pitching but would you trade our staff for the tigers or the twins?

If we play well the rest of the way we will win the division. If we don't we won't that simply.

Hit the nail on the head

delben91
07-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Twins rulz, Sox droolz.

comet2k
07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
37 of our remaining games are against teams with winning records, and so far we're 27-29 against those teams. I didn't dig into how many are home vs. road, but the rest of the season's going to be one nail biter after another. That's a lot more to look forward to than last year.

PolishPower83
07-28-2008, 02:45 PM
:rolleyes:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/shoodbeblonde91/quit_bitchin.gif

The Sox are in 1st place. It's the last week of July. How much more do you want to enjoy this?

Damn right! I get the feeling a bigtime hot streak is going to get started tonight when Buehrle shuts down the Twinkies' bats and we continue to pummel Slowey. We rocked him the last two times we faced him...let's make it three!

turners56
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
What's with that 14 game road trip? Jeez...

KenBerryGrab
07-28-2008, 02:52 PM
The Republican National Convention is forcing the Twins on the road for those 14 games.

all*star quentin
07-28-2008, 03:49 PM
[quote=Frater Perdurabo;1978949]Here's the Sox remaining schedule:
7 road games: 4 @ MIN, 3 @ KC
off day Mon 8/4
10-game homestand: 3 v DET, 4 v BOS, 3 v KC
Short West Coast trip: 3 @ OAK
6-game homestand: 3 v SEA, off day R 8/21, 3 v TB
9+ game road trip: 3+ @ BAL, off day R 8/28, 3 @ BOS, 3 @ CLE
10 game homestand: 3 v LAA, 4 v TOR, 3 v DET
10-game road trip: 4 @ NYY, 3 @ KC, 3 @ MIN
Last three at home: 3 v CLE
29 home games
29+ road games
3 off days
9 left with KC
6 left with CLE
3 left with SEA

Here's the Twins remaining schedule:
7 game homestand: 4 v SOX, 3 v CLE
6-game road trip: 3 @ SEA, off day R 8/7, 3 @ KC
9-game homestand: 3 v NYY, off day R 8/14, 3 v SEA, 3 v OAK
14-game road trip: 4 @ LAA, 3 @ SEA, 4 @ OAK, off day M 9/1, 3 @ TOR
6-game homestand: 3 V DET, off day M 9/8, 3 v KC
10-game road trip: 3 @ BAL, 3 @ CLE, 4 @ TB
6-game homestand: off day M 9/22, 3 v SOX, 3 v KC
28 home games
30 road games
5 off days
25 games against contenders (13 home, 12 road)
9 left with KC
6 left with CLE
6 left with SEA

The Sox have the advantage of one less road game and one more home game. The Twins have the advantage of three more games against Seattle, but those games are in Seattle. We get to play Tampa Bay and Toronto at home, the Twins have to play in Toronto and Tampa. But they are more comfortable playing on turf. They get to play us seven more times in their Hump Dump. We have a 2.5 game lead right now.
Thanks. When you see it this way. I get it why Ozzie is on the bullpen.

TDog
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM

I didn't say we'd lose the division, just that we would if the rotation continued to not perform.

In the last five starts -- Buehrle, Richard, Floyd, Danks and Vazquez -- the Sox have two quality starts, by Buehrle and Floyd. They also have four wins against teams that have been raking. The Tigers scored 19 runs in the series before they returned home to face the Sox (they've scored 19 runs thrice this year and lead the league in shutouts, if you're looking for an inconsistent offense), and the Rangers in the series after leaving Chicago scored eight earned runs in six innings against Duchscherer who was leading the league in ERA.

Things are tough all over.

The trip to Oakland may not be as terrifying as many expect. I hope when the Sox go to Oakland, the A's continue to play as if they have given up on the season. Frankly, I would rather the Sox were going up against Harden than Gallagher in the series. The Sox have beaten both pitchers at the Cell this season, so maybe it wouldn't make much difference.

Hunker down
07-28-2008, 06:50 PM
We're worried about our young pitchers, Danks & Floyd. The Twins are just as worried about their young pitchers. The Tigers look good on paper, but where has it gotten them?

I'll take my chances with Buehrle, AJ, JD, Bobby Jenks, & Thome. All veterans who have played pressure games in September.

Nobody thought we would up 2.5 on July 28th. Enjoy it.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
The biggest factor will be how the Twins play on the road when the pressure's on in a pennant race. Beginning August 21, they play 24 of 30 on the road, through September 21. That is brutal.

As good as the Twinkies play at home, the Sox have a better record going into tonight's game at home. The Sox are 35-16 and the Twins are 34-19. The Sox are a half-game ahead of the Twins on the road, 24-28 vs. 23-28.

One thing the Sox have to worry about is Liriano appears ready to be called up. He could give them a big boost.

soxwon
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
sox runaway with it by 6 games, on there way to the Series win over the DBACKS.

sox1970
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Sox have to split the final six games at the Dome to win the head-to-head season series with the Twins 10-8.

That would mean the Sox and Twins would have equal records combined head-to-head/interleague play (22-14).

It would come down to the 126 games against the other 12 AL teams. Every game less than 10-8 head-to-head would mean the Sox have to win two more games against another AL team to make up for it.

Considering the Twins have an easier schedule on paper from here on out, these next three games are absolutely huge to win two.

Railsplitter
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
The Republican National Convention is forcing the Twins on the road for those 14 games.
The Convention is in the Hump Dome, or will the delegates take up all the hotel rooms in the Twin Cities?

DSpivack
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
The Convention is in the Hump Dome, or will the delegates take up all the hotel rooms in the Twin Cities?

I think it's in St. Paul, but I guess they don't want the team in town for whatever reason.

Harry Potter
07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
I think it's in St. Paul, but I guess they don't want the team in town for whatever reason.

Yes, the GOP Convention is at the Xcel Energy Center (home of the Minnesota Wild) in St. Paul

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2008, 10:44 PM
That three game series in Minnesota towards the end of September scares the **** out of me...it brings back too many memories of '03.

sox1970
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
That three game series in Minnesota towards the end of September scares the **** out of me...it brings back too many memories of '03.

The Sox need to take a five game lead into the last week, or they could still lose.

ChiSoxGirl
07-29-2008, 10:48 PM

Same here. If we're playing like we are up there now, imagine what it'll be like in September when the team is more tired than it is now! :o:

What's worse is that those years we crapped the bed at the end and conceded the Central to the Twins, they went three-and-out (like they always do). At least if they'd go on past the first round, we'd know we conceded to a team that can prove beyond the end of September that they're better than us.

DSpivack
07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Same here. If we're playing like we are up there now, imagine what it'll be like in September when the team is more tired than it is now! :o:

What's worse is that those years we crapped the bed at the end and conceded the Central to the Twins, they went three-and-out (like they always do). At least if they'd go on past the first round, we'd know we conceded to a team that can prove beyond the end of September that they're better than us.

I don't see the Twins doing anything against the Angels/Red Sox/Rays.

ChiSoxGirl
07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't see the Twins doing anything against the Angels/Red Sox/Rays.

Neither do I... they never do. That's why it amazes me how they can make teams (read: the Sox) look like fools throughout the season, but when it comes to October, it's like they forget all of the fundamentals they excel at from April-September.

DSpivack
07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Neither do I... they never do. That's why it amazes me how they can make teams (read: the Sox) look like fools throughout the season, but when it comes to October, it's like they forget all of the fundamentals they excel at from April-September.

Or their lack of real talent glaringly shows in a short series.

Vernam
07-29-2008, 11:00 PM
I think Ozzie needs to begin pulling the starting pitcher at the first sign of trouble. No starting pitcher should be allowed to surrender a lead. Sure, it might strain the bullpen, but wouldn't you rather see Logan, Wasserman, or Massett face Mauer and Morneau in the fifth inning of a game we're leading? This is the solution to all our woes, and his failure to wield the quick hook is what defines Ozzie as a loser.

Vernam

ChiSoxGirl
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Or their lack of real talent glaringly shows in a short series.

If this is true (and it very well may be), why doesn't that lack of real talent glaringly show through in a short series throughout the regular season? It's filled with short series....

DSpivack
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
If this is true (and it very well may be), why doesn't that lack of real talent glaringly show through in a short series throughout the regular season? It's filled with short series....

'Fundamentals' gets them by mediocrity in the regular season but good pitching shuts them down in the playoffs? :dunno:

ChiSoxGirl
07-29-2008, 11:40 PM
'Fundamentals' gets them by mediocrity in the regular season but good pitching shuts them down in the playoffs? :dunno:

Quite possibly, since teams tend to shore up their rotation and realign the pitchers accordingly to give the teams the best chance to win. But you're right... :dunno:!

chaerulez
07-30-2008, 12:15 AM
We have to treat KC like the Cubs treat the Pirates. 8-1 or 7-2 in those 9 games.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I think it's in St. Paul, but I guess they don't want the team in town for whatever reason.The entire state of Minnesota has fewer sworn law-enforcement officers (including state, county, local, DNR,etc.) than the City of Chicago alone has. They need every cop they can get to be in the area of the Xcel Center for the convention. There is no way they can handle another major crowd control situation at the same time.

asindc
07-30-2008, 09:10 AM

That's pretty much it. The Twins have consistently been the best team in the majors over the past 7-8 years at playing the game close to the vest, if you will, and waiting for the other team to make a crucial mistake and then pouncing on it. Witness last night.

In the playoffs, all the teams are exceptional at capitalizing on opportunities. That's why their lack of talent is more pronounced in the playoffs. In 2006, Frank hits the one mistake pitch Santana threw him to put Oakland ahead to stay in game 1 of the ALDS. Minny doesn't have enough firepower to respond against Oakland's pitching. It actually does happen to them a few times in the regular season, but in a short series, it is the difference between losing and advancing.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Here's another way to look at things.

The Sox and Twins have these elements in common on their respective schedules:
3 v BAL, 3 v CLE, 3 @ CLE 3 v KC, 3 @ KC, 3 v DET, 3 v SEA.
These games in common are a wash. So let's compare the rest:

Big Sox Advantages:
Overall five more home games and five fewer road games than Twins.
Twins have to make a long 14-game road trip and two West Coast trips.

Small Sox Advantages:
We have 3 @ OAK. They have 4 @ OAK.
We have 3 home v LAA. They have 4 @ LAA.
We have 3 home v TB. They have 4 @ TB.
We have 4 home v TOR. They have 3 @ TOR.

Big Twins Advantages:
We have 4 H and 3 @ BOS. They have 0 with BOS.
They have three more games with us in the Dump Dome.

Small Twins Advantages:
We have 4 @ NYY. They have 3 home with NYY.
We have 3 @ KC. They have 3 home with KC.

Other things that seem to be a wash:
The Twins make two trips to SEA. Travel is tough, but the Mariners are not.
We get one more home series with DET. They get one more home series with OAK. Meh.

SoxGirl4Life
08-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Here's another way to look at things.

Meh.

I need more Tums.

Hitmen77
08-01-2008, 10:42 AM
The Twins have an easy schedule for the next 9 games. At home vs. Cleveland? Makes me think that if the Sox don't sweep KC, we'll be coming home in 2nd place.

Then the Twins hit the road, but it's vs. Seattle and Kansas City. Just because we play like **** in KC, doesn't mean the Twins will. They swept KC last time there.

So, hopefully the Sox get their heads out of their asses at least until the Twins face some tougher opponents.

sox1970
08-01-2008, 10:56 AM
White Sox play 26 games against teams that have a shot at the playoffs (Twins, Tigers, Rays, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels).

Twins have 13 games left with the same.

So, it's going to be tough. If the Twins go 16-8 at home; and 15-15 on the road the rest of the way, they'll end up 91-71.

The Sox would have to go 32-23. Dominating the Royals would go a long way.

sox1970
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM

#1-- I rule!

#2-- 18-18 might not be enough. Let's make it 21-15 just to be safe.

Frankie5Angels
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
By chance do you bet on Football!! Hell of a prediction!!!:gulp:

DumpJerry
08-20-2008, 04:06 PM
The suspense is killing me.

What will be the scores of the four game sweep we have over the Cubs in October?
:cleo
I'm impressed, too!

Tragg
08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Big Sox Advantages:
Overall five more home games and five fewer road games than Twins.
Twins have to make a long 14-game road trip and two West Coast trips.

We have 2 more 10 game roadtrips left, and we finished a third just a couple of weeks ago.

IronFisk
08-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Just win baby.

I gave up caring about schedules in 05 when Tampa (the "traditionally" crappy Tampa team) beat Cleveland 2 out of 3 and helped us win the division.

I just hope I can enjoy the ride this year - 05 tore me an ulcer.

sox1970
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
The suspense is killing me.

What will be the scores of the four game sweep we have over the Cubs in October?

The Cubs will be watching the White Sox beat the Diamondbacks.

DumpJerry
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
The Cubs will be watching the White Sox beat the Diamondbacks.
:(:
I want to sweep them to end the debate once and for all.

sox1970
08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
:(:
I want to sweep them to end the debate once and for all.

If it comes to that, sure.

I'll be rooting for the Cubs to lose until that time comes.

Frankfan4life
08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
#1-- I rule!

#2-- 18-18 might not be enough. Let's make it 21-15 just to be safe.I hope you get this one right too! :crossfingers:

PeteWard
08-20-2008, 09:56 PM
A 6-4 or better road trip vs Balt Bos and Cle would cut down on the Tums.

Save McCuddy's
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Just win baby.

I gave up caring about schedules in 05 when Tampa (the "traditionally" crappy Tampa team) beat Cleveland 2 out of 3 and helped us win the division.

I just hope I can enjoy the ride this year - 05 tore me an ulcer.

member when Garcia dominated at Detroit to clinch -- beautiful.

jabrch
08-21-2008, 10:45 AM

That doesn't sound outrageous to me. 3-1 vs Balt and 2-1 vs Cleve would position us to do it if we can win 1 vs Bos. Who knows - maybe we win 2 or even a sweep?

Chez
08-21-2008, 10:48 AM

I agree. Get two from Tampa this weekend and 6 on the trip.

White City
08-21-2008, 11:08 AM
16 home, 19 road

Go 10-6 at home, 8-11 on the road, win that suspended game, and we're 92-70. That's probably the baseline. It should be enough to get into the playoffs, but may not be enough to win the division.

To get home field, we'll need to sweep Tampa and the Angels when they come to Chicago, and slightly outplay them elsewhere. That's a tall order.

downstairs
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
16 home, 19 road

Go 10-6 at home, 8-11 on the road, win that suspended game, and we're 92-70. That's probably the baseline. It should be enough to get into the playoffs, but may not be enough to win the division.

Well, judging only by their current home and away winning percentages, they would go:

12-4 home
9-12 away

21-16 total. That puts them at 94 wins.

Twins have similar road/home splits, but play a whopping 24 games on the road.

I'm thinking that we'll be going into Minnesota with a 3-4 game lead. That series will be huge. I'm predicting that we can clinch there, but won't. However, we'll eventually pull it out in the final series against Cleveland.

kittle42
08-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Can a 20-16 record the rest of the way win this division? I was just pondering this yesterday.

White City
08-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, if you go +20 in 126 games, that correlates to +5.7 for the final 36 games.

+26 = 94 wins.

Anything is possible, and 21-15 isn't all that crazy (.583 ball). Go 10-10 on the road (including that suspended "home" game in Baltimore), and that only calls for 11-5 at home (.688 ball).

Except, 6 of those 16 home games are against Tampa and the Angels.

I think we should be prepared for a 91-win, 92-win season and a lot of heartburn until the final few days of the season.

downstairs
08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Also, don't forget this- we are virtually tied with Boston for the Wild Card lead. There is no threat from Texas or the Yankees, in my opinion. Therefore, to get into the playoffs, all we need to do is have a better record than Boston the rest of the way.

I think that is highly possible. If Minnesota goes on a tear, I see us being the WC.

voodoochile
08-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, if you go +20 in 126 games, that correlates to +5.7 for the final 36 games.

+26 = 94 wins.

Anything is possible, and 21-15 isn't all that crazy (.583 ball). Go 10-10 on the road (including that suspended "home" game in Baltimore), and that only calls for 11-5 at home (.688 ball).

Except, 6 of those 16 home games are against Tampa and the Angels.

I think we should be prepared for a 91-win, 92-win season and a lot of heartburn until the final few days of the season.

Yes and no...

Compared to the schedule that Tampa and Boston is facing, ours is a piece of cake.

Toronto is two games behind the Yankees who are 5 games out of the WC. Now that's a lot of ground to make up, but if you think either of those teams is going to roll over and hand it to Boston, you're nuts. Boston has 27 games remaining against potential playoff teams (including Toronto). With the exception of Baltimore (almost .500 themselves in 5th place in the ALE) Tampa plays nothing but playoff contenders (again including NY and Toronto) until the final week of the season. Then they finish on an 8 game road trip to Baltimore (DH on Tuesday) and Detroit. People think our 3 games in Minnesota are going to be big, right before that Minnesota plays in Tampa for a four game weekend series.

I'm telling you, the ALE might be won by a team with 90 wins. 92 at the outside, IMO and the second place team might be in the 90 win territory. They are going to go brass knuckle toe to toe for the last 5.5 weeks of this season.

Meanwhile the Sox have 12 games left against Detroit, Cleveland and KC with half of them at home. I don't think this is going to be nearly as tight as people think it is especially if the Sox can ride this hot streak through the weekend and into Baltimore.

beasly213
08-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't want the wildcard I want to win the division. I mean obviously I'm glad its there but I don't want to settle.

This series against TB is going to be a big test but I'm confident in the Sox because its at home. The series I'm worried about besides the one at MIN is the one at KC right before that.

They always play us tough so its going to be a dog fight to the end.

I'm not sure I can handle it. :(:

Chez
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Don't count those games against the Tribe as automatic wins. They've been playing well lately, have Hafner and Victor Martinez coming back, and would love to ruin our season. The games against teams with "nothing left to play for" frequently are tougher than expected. I think we will miss Cliff Lee's turn in the rotation on the upcoming trip to Cleveland which is nice.

FielderJones
08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
potential playoff teams (including Toronto)

:scratch:

I suppose if they put Halladay on a Big Ed Walsh schedule and pitched him with one day of rest they might go 26-10 and squeak in with 91 wins. That's a pretty big order for a team that has played .516 ball to date.

voodoochile
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
:scratch:

I suppose if they put Halladay on a Big Ed Walsh schedule and pitched him with one day of rest they might go 26-10 and squeak in with 91 wins. That's a pretty big order for a team that has played .516 ball to date.

They are 7 games behind Boston with 10 games left to play against Boston. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's not impossible in any sense of the word. They also play Tampa and NY a ton of times. It's not because they look like worldbeaters, but because of who they play that the option remains open. They get hot and start stomping teams in the ALE, they just might get there.

In any case they at least have a reason to continue trying which won't make it easier for the teams they face to win those games.

I mean compared to KC and Seattle, Toronto's end of season means something.

PeteWard
08-22-2008, 05:18 AM
They are 7 games behind Boston with 10 games left to play against Boston. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's not impossible in any sense of the word. They also play Tampa and NY a ton of times. It's not because they look like worldbeaters, but because of who they play that the option remains open. They get hot and start stomping teams in the ALE, they just might get there.

In any case they at least have a reason to continue trying which won't make it easier for the teams they face to win those games.

I mean compared to KC and Seattle, Toronto's end of season means something.

Also Baltimore is no pushover and will play Boston tough. And Toronto? Did you see what they did to NY today? Maybe ended their season. :bandance:

White City
08-22-2008, 07:24 AM
I suppose an optimistic case for the rest of the season is this:

We're 53-33 since Alexei took over at 2B. Correlate that winning percentage to our remaining 36 games and we finish at 95-67. I think that wins the division for sure.

aryzner
08-22-2008, 07:30 AM
I am optimistic because suddenly with the way that all the other first place teams have been playing, the Sox look like they're maybe the best team in the AL right now.

jabrch
08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I am optimistic because suddenly with the way that all the other first place teams have been playing, the Sox look like they're maybe the best team in the AL right now.

I wouldn't go that far - but I would say that I see no reason this team won't be in contention all season.

johnnyg83
08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't go that far - but I would say that I see no reason this team won't be in contention all season.

just five weeks left ...

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Here are my completely speculative predictions:

Sox have 26 games remaining: 13 home and 13 away. I see them going 15-11, finishing 92-70:
3 @ CLE: 2-1
Off day Thursday 9/4
3 v LAA: 1-2
4 v TOR: 3-1
3 v DET: 2-1
4 @ NYY: 2-2
3 @ KC: 2-1
Off day Monday 9/22
3 @ MIN: 1-2
3 v CLE: 2-1

Twins have 25 games remaining: 12 at home and 13 away. I see them going 14-11, finishing 91-71:
Off day Monday 9/1
3 @ TOR: 1-2
Off day Monday 9/8
3 v KC: 3-0
3 @ BAL: 1-2
3 @ CLE: 1-2
4 @ TB: 1-3
Off day Monday 9/22
3 v SOX: 2-1

According to my crystal ball, the Sox will win the division by one game.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Here are my completely speculative predictions:

Sox have 26 games remaining: 13 home and 13 away. I see them going 15-11, finishing 92-70:
3 @ CLE: 2-1
Off day Thursday 9/4
3 v LAA: 1-2
4 v TOR: 3-1
4 @ NYY: 2-2
3 @ KC: 2-1
Off day Monday 9/22
3 @ MIN: 1-2
3 v CLE: 2-1

Twins have 25 games remaining: 12 at home and 13 away. I see them going 14-11, finishing 91-71:
Off day Monday 9/1
3 @ TOR: 1-2
Off day Monday 9/8
3 @ BAL: 1-2
3 @ CLE: 1-2
4 @ TB: 1-3
Off day Monday 9/22
3 v SOX: 2-1

According to my crystal ball, the Sox will win the division by one game.

I agree with everything except that it sure would be nice if KC could help us out....

Frater Perdurabo
09-01-2008, 06:34 AM
I agree with everything except that it sure would be nice if KC could help us out....

Oh, of course! But I doubt an eliminated KC can do us many favors in six games in the Dumpdome.

LoveYourSuit
09-01-2008, 09:23 AM
The Twins have a much easier schedule IMO.

Like I have been saying, our time to take advantage was this past week with the Twins being on that long road trip. Those 2 decisions dropped in Baltimore are the ones that stand out to me.

whitesoxwilkes
09-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Toronto is a tough team at home, aand we haven't played well at Yankee Stadium in a looong time. I think 3-1 and 2-2 are both overestimating our chances a bit.

Frontman
09-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Like I have been saying, our time to take advantage was this past week with the Twins being on that long road trip. Those 2 decisions dropped in Baltimore are the ones that stand out to me.

And the Twins dropped two in Oakland, one in the bottom of the ninth. Every team in contention has had a few games they'd like back, but in the end; they all balance out in my opinion.

This is going to be a footrace to the end; and no matter what, I'm going to be happy with the results. Here's why.

Six months ago, we were all wondering what Kenny Williams did to this team. Besides Alexei, (who we thought wouldn't even be on the major league roster this season) and Swisher, all the other moves puzzled the crud out of us. Everyone (as well as most of the fanbase) gave this team ZERO chance to get in contention; much less first place.

The Sox have proven that even with "missing" pieces; Ozzie can manage a team and keep it in contention. While I won't put him on the level of Ron Gardenhire's magical way of taking AAA players and keeping a team afloat; Ozzie certainly has proven he's a solid manager in this season. Has he made mistakes? Oh sure. No manager in baseball hasn't made them over the course of the season.

But here we are, four short weeks from the end of the season, and the Sox have been there through the whole season. If they falter at the end, sure its a disappointment. But for a team that noone......

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/DanPly2/WWE%20Legends/the_rock.jpg

"AND THE ROCK MEANS NOONE!!!"

....gave them a snowball's chance in hell of being in contention? They gave us a whole summer of ups and downs, some pretty exciting wins and some heartbreaking losses.

Simply put, man; has this summer been fun.

turners56
09-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Toronto is a tough team at home, aand we haven't played well at Yankee Stadium in a looong time. I think 3-1 and 2-2 are both overestimating our chances a bit.

We play Toronto at the Cell. Toronto's not that great of a road team and it isn't like we're playing like we did back in late April where we couldn't even buy a run.

turners56
09-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Hopefully, Toronto plays the Twins tough up at the Rogers Centre and we play well in Cleveland. If that happens we might have a 2-3 game lead by the end of the trip.

LoveYourSuit
09-01-2008, 10:22 AM
And the Twins dropped two in Oakland, one in the bottom of the ninth. Every team in contention has had a few games they'd like back, but in the end; they all balance out in my opinion.

This is going to be a footrace to the end; and no matter what, I'm going to be happy with the results. Here's why.

Six months ago, we were all wondering what Kenny Williams did to this team. Besides Alexei, (who we thought wouldn't even be on the major league roster this season) and Swisher, all the other moves puzzled the crud out of us. Everyone (as well as most of the fanbase) gave this team ZERO chance to get in contention; much less first place.

The Sox have proven that even with "missing" pieces; Ozzie can manage a team and keep it in contention. While I won't put him on the level of Ron Gardenhire's magical way of taking AAA players and keeping a team afloat; Ozzie certainly has proven he's a solid manager in this season. Has he made mistakes? Oh sure. No manager in baseball hasn't made them over the course of the season.

But here we are, four short weeks from the end of the season, and the Sox have been there through the whole season. If they falter at the end, sure its a disappointment. But for a team that noone......

"AND THE ROCK MEANS NOONE!!!"

....gave them a snowball's chance in hell of being in contention? They gave us a whole summer of ups and downs, some pretty exciting wins and some heartbreaking losses.

Simply put, man; has this summer been fun.

Only that 6 months ago we thought we were contending with both the Indians and Tigers instead of the not so great Twins.

I would accept your arguement if this division was so great that we just fell short, that would make feel much better. But this divisoin is for our taking being that the Indians and Tigers fell out so quick. This is why it would hurt me more and is hurting me right now that we are spinning our wheels to try to break open a big lead.

whitesoxwilkes
09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
We play Toronto at the Cell. Toronto's not that great of a road team and it isn't like we're playing like we did back in late April where we couldn't even buy a run.

I stand corrected. In fact, I have tickets for one of the games.

Whoops!

slavko
09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
It doesn't look dire to me. Both CHW and MIN will be playing teams who are mailing it in for one reason or another. So, those 3 games we have at MIN may be the for the whole thing. Too bad BOS has got it going again; they look like the wild card.

soxpride724
09-01-2008, 10:46 AM

I agree, the doubleheader from last Monday was huge for us, or COULD have been huge for us if we would have taken both.

Still plenty of time left and every game is crucial, I hope the young arms of Floyd and Danks can handle the pressure.

Frontman
09-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Only that 6 months ago we thought we were contending with both the Indians and Tigers instead of the not so great Twins.

I would accept your arguement if this division was so great that we just fell short, that would make feel much better. But this divisoin is for our taking being that the Indians and Tigers fell out so quick. This is why it would hurt me more and is hurting me right now that we are spinning our wheels to try to break open a big lead.

It's a 162 game season. They fell out of contention, yes. But the Twins are still in it, and have been all the way like the Sox have been. Neither team has established a huge lead in the standings. The whole "the division is great/poor/etc" is all ESPN papertalk. All the garbage of "on paper, this team/division is solid" are just talking points. On paper and running away with it are both just talking points as well.

Because on paper, the Tampa Bay Rays shouldn't even be sniffing the playoffs.

Play the team that is in front of you, beat them; go onto the next team. The Sox can only take care of their own business. To point to any game or handful of games can of course say, "See, see; its because they didn't win these games that the season is a loss."

My point is that the season isn't a loss, and in my book won't be a loss. The Sox are a team in transition, as some of the younger players will improve, some of the older players will move on; and if they all move on after LATE October versus early October; that would be a magical season.

But when the Sox were supposed to be DOA for 2008, yet are still in the hunt in September; I call that not just a good season, but a great one.

turners56
09-01-2008, 11:41 AM
It's a 162 game season. They fell out of contention, yes. But the Twins are still in it, and have been all the way like the Sox have been. Neither team has established a huge lead in the standings. The whole "the division is great/poor/etc" is all ESPN papertalk. All the garbage of "on paper, this team/division is solid" are just talking points. On paper and running away with it are both just talking points as well.

Because on paper, the Tampa Bay Rays shouldn't even be sniffing the playoffs.

Play the team that is in front of you, beat them; go onto the next team. The Sox can only take care of their own business. To point to any game or handful of games can of course say, "See, see; its because they didn't win these games that the season is a loss."

My point is that the season isn't a loss, and in my book won't be a loss. The Sox are a team in transition, as some of the younger players will improve, some of the older players will move on; and if they all move on after LATE October versus early October; that would be a magical season.

But when the Sox were supposed to be DOA for 2008, yet are still in the hunt in September; I call that not just a good season, but a great one.

We did have a 6.5 game lead at one point. But that faded away in about a week and a half.

JungleJimR
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
we haven't played well at Yankee Stadium in a looong time. I think 3-1 and 2-2 are both overestimating our chances a bit.

NY lost the last 2 home series to Boston and Toronto and were a woefull 13-15 for August.
I think that a determined Sox team could win here 3-1, especially if Linebrink is back and in good form.

Foulke You
09-02-2008, 01:54 PM
We did have a 6.5 game lead at one point. But that faded away in about a week and a half.
We got that 6.5 game lead by winning 7 games in a row at home including a 4 game sweep of the Twins and then quickly followed that up by getting swept 3 games at Comerica Park. It's kind've been how this year's team has been. Hot, cold, hot, cold. The cold parts usually coming when we go on the road. If we end the season on one of our patented hot streaks, we will win this thing.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2008, 10:55 PM
At 80-61 now, the Sox have 15 games remaining (1 v LAA, 4 v TOR, 3 v DET, 4 @ NYY, 3 @ KC) before they visit the Twins: 8 home and 7 away. I see them going 10-5 to get to 90-66.

At 78-64 now, the Twins have 14 games remaining (1 v DET, 3 v KC, 3 @ BAL, 3 @ CLE, 4 @ TB) before the Sox come to visit: 4 at home and 10 away. I see them going 7-7 to get to 85-81.

If this happens, the Sox will have a five-game lead when they open the series in Minny. If so, the Sox can clinch at least a tie for the division with one win over the Twins, and will need just one more win against Cleveland to win it outright.

sox1970
09-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Sox need to win 4 games a week. They need tomorrow's game.

Fenway
09-06-2008, 11:19 PM
My take is the seven road games before you go to Minnesota may decide the Chisox fate.

The last place I would want to be is Yankee Stadium in the final week of its existence. It will be a complete circus there and rest assured the Yankees will relish being a spoiler. If you can split there be happy.

Then comes Kansas City which can be dangerous as Minneapolis looms. The White Sox need two wins there.

Minnesota the key is winning the first game and then hopefully take one more. A 5-5 trip maybe enough - 6 or more wins and print the playoff tickets.

sox1970
09-06-2008, 11:24 PM
My take is the seven road games before you go to Minnesota may decide the Chisox fate.

The last place I would want to be is Yankee Stadium in the final week of its existence. It will be a complete circus there and rest assured the Yankees will relish being a spoiler. If you can split there be happy.

Then comes Kansas City which can be dangerous as Minneapolis looms. The White Sox need two wins there.

Minnesota the key is winning the first game and then hopefully take one more. A 5-5 trip maybe enough - 6 or more wins and print the playoff tickets.

The Yankees series will be tough, but I think the Sox will be able to scratch out a split. The whole schedule is tough.

The greatest thing about the last week is that the Twins have lost heart-breaking games. Their bullpen is shot. If that can continue, I think the Sox can win the division with 91 wins. That would be 11-10 the rest of the way.

Fenway
09-06-2008, 11:43 PM
The Yankees series will be tough, but I think the Sox will be able to scratch out a split. The whole schedule is tough.

The greatest thing about the last week is that the Twins have lost heart-breaking games. Their bullpen is shot. If that can continue, I think the Sox can win the division with 91 wins. That would be 11-10 the rest of the way.

The Yankees have the slimest of shots as they have to somehow get to the final series in Boston 3 or less behind. The irony is if Boston falters that much the Twins or White Sox may then have the best second place record.

The flip side is the White Sox could eliminate the Yankees which would be sweet.

BleacherBandit
09-07-2008, 12:27 AM
The flip side is the White Sox could eliminate the Yankees which would be sweet.

Yeah, that would be amazing. I hope we can mathamatically eliminate them.