PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

Lillian
07-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Since K. W. doesn't sound very optimistic about being able to make a trade, and since the pitching staff seems stricken with injuries, and diminishing performance, who do you think might provide some help within the organization?

These four guys look intriguing to me, especially over their last 10 games:

Jason Childers
Jack Egbert
Derek Rodriguez
Tomo Ohka

All of them have shown good control and low ERA and WHIP numbers lately.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=t_ibp&cid=494

Lillian
07-28-2008, 08:09 AM
I know that Childers is 33 but I heard an interview with Kirk Champion the organization's pitching coordinator, and he was very impressed with Childers.

Tomo Ohka is also a veteran, but has fared better since he has been used more out of the Pen lately.

Derek Rodriguez was recently promoted from Birmingham to Charlotte, and has looked even better since the promotion.

Jack Egbert has only had 2 bad starts in his last 10, and has a good sinker, which could serve him well at the Cell.

Look at the last 10 appearances for each of these guys.

Harry Potter
07-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Tomo Ohka, he of the 2-10 variety, is just what we need.

Lillian
07-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Tomo Ohka, he of the 2-10 variety, is just what we need.

Yes, he has a bad W-L record.
However, look at his last 10 appearances, many of them in relief, after having been a starter.
His ERA is 2.27 with a WHIP of 1.08

Again, the Sox are a little desperate for pitching right now. Therefore I wouldn't totally reject any possibilities, would you?

munchman33
07-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Since K. W. doesn't sound very optimistic about being able to make a trade, and since the pitching staff seems stricken with injuries, and diminishing performance, who do you think might provide some help within the organization?

Jason Childers
Jack Egbert
Derek Rodriguez
Tomo Ohka

All of them have shown good control and low ERA an WHIP numbers lately.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=t_ibp&cid=494

None of the above.

If Kenny doesn't make a move, we're going to need a ton of luck. Gavin, Danks, and Javy all look like crap right now, and who knows what we'll get from Contreras.

oeo
07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
None of the above.

If Kenny doesn't make a move, we're going to need a ton of luck. Gavin, Danks, and Javy all look like crap right now, and who knows what we'll get from Contreras.

Of those three, I'd say Javy is the only one that looks like "crap." The other two are pitching well enough to win games.

cards press box
07-28-2008, 09:11 AM
And we have only seen Clayton Richard pitch one game for the Sox. I was at the Texas game he started and I thought he pitched well. The defense behind Richard was suspect and Texas should have only scored a couple of runs against him. He also walked 1 and struck out 7 in 4 innings. That was quite encouraging.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2008, 09:37 AM
W-L record is a terrible way to evaluate a pitcher. That being said, I thought Tomo Ohka was out of baseball.

russ99
07-28-2008, 10:22 AM

Jason Childers
Jack Egbert
Derek Rodriguez
Tomo Ohka

All of them have shown good control and low ERA and WHIP numbers lately.

After Russell, this is what we have, except for Broadway who's not done well lately. The Sox generally don't rush starters, so I doubt Egbert will get to the majors this year.

Which is even more a reason why Kenny needs to get us some help.

Mohoney
07-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Of those three, I'd say Javy is the only one that looks like "crap." The other two are pitching well enough to win games.

And they have been in situations recently where they have to get 4 or 5 outs in an inning. You can't expect them to always be able to pitch over errors like that.

pmck003
07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
None of the above.

Danks had one bad outing vs. KC; four earned runs on the road against two of the best hitting teams in baseball isn't guaranteed complete crap for the rest of the season. Floyd had a crappy game against texas and you could argue he wasn't too sharp against detroit, but again these were tough road games. I agree it would be nice to get another solid starter but don't mess your pampers.

Lillian
07-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Childers had another good appearance last night. He saved a shutout, going
2.1 innings while striking out 4 and walking 1. He now has at least 11 consecutive appearances without giving up a run.

Look, I know the guy in 33, but I think he will be the next guy brought up, if the Pen needs another arm. I base that on the interview with Kirk Champion.
I also think that it's foolish to automatically reject a pitcher's worth because he has not been successful in previous years. Pitchers always have the chance to get better because they can add pitches to their repertoires.
Danks is better this year because he added the Cutter. There a lots of examples of guys who have added pitches and gotten much better. Apparently Childers is doing something that he didn't do earlier in his career.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2008, 06:52 AM
I'd feel good about Egbert. He's still coming back from injury though and I doubt we see him until September (if at all).