PDA

View Full Version : Is a split in Minny desirable?

Railsplitter
07-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Would a split in Minnesota be desirable? It is a road series against a division rival, but is it too early to take a "well, it's four game off the schedule but they haven't gained any ground" attitude.

Discuss.

alohafri
07-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Would a split in Minnesota be desirable? It is a road series against a division rival, but is it too early to take a "well, it's four game off the schedule but they haven't gained any ground" attitude.

Discuss.

Three out of four minimum. At the end of July, if you are not gaining ground, you are losing it...including if you are in first place.

white sox bill
07-28-2008, 07:00 AM
Split would be acceptable under the Baggie Dome. 3 of 4 much better, sweep is :bong:

SoxGirl4Life
07-28-2008, 07:02 AM
I'd love 3 of 4, but a split would be acceptable.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Acceptable? Sure. Desireable? Not really.

doublem23
07-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Considering the way we've played in important series in the Hump Dome before, and considering how well the Twins are playing there this year, I would be happy with a split.

I'd love to win the series, though.

Three out of four minimum. At the end of July, if you are not gaining ground, you are losing it...including if you are in first place.

I disagree, if you are in first place, as long as you don't lose a game in the standings, you're still gaining days. That's one less day and one less chance you have to be caught. Eventually, all leads become insurmountable.

sox1970
07-28-2008, 07:23 AM
If they split, it depends on how they play. If they blow the two lost games, then it would be disappointing.

If Richard gets lit up on Tuesday and say Scott Baker pitches a real good game on Thursday, but Buehrle wins tonight and the Sox light up Hernandez on Wednesday, then you can be happy with a split.

I just want to see fundamental baseball. If the Sox don't give away games, they should split this series at the very minimum.

aryzner
07-28-2008, 07:24 AM
If you told me we would definitely split with the Twins here, I'd gladly accept that.

That being said, I like our chances of a split or better. With Burls going tonight and Danks on Thursday, I can see 2 wins there alone.

And I don't know why, but I have a good feeling about Clayton Richard in Tuesday's game.

jabrch
07-28-2008, 07:32 AM
A sweep is desireable - a split is totally acceptable to me.

Bucky F. Dent
07-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Split!?!:puking:

Three out of four at a minimum.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Our pitching is falling apart. We need as many games on the Twins head to head as we can get if we want a shot at the division (barring a trade for a starter).

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Of course I want the Sox to win every game, especially against our chief division rival.

But a split would satisfy me.

We'd still have the lead with less season left to play and only three games left at the Hump Dump.

KnightSox
07-28-2008, 08:16 AM
I'll be happy with a split. After the Twinkies current home stand, they will play 30 of 51 away from the dome, so we will get some help from other teams.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Of course I want the Sox to win every game, especially against our chief division rival.

But a split would satisfy me.

We'd still have the lead with less season left to play and only three games left at the Hump Dump.

If we pitch the rest of the year like we have since the All-Star break, we won't be winning many games. A sweep is pretty close to necessary.

doublem23
07-28-2008, 08:23 AM
If we pitch the rest of the year like we have since the All-Star break, we won't be winning many games. A sweep is pretty close to necessary.

Apparently none of the pants-pissers have noticed the Twins haven't exactly been burning the American League with their play since the All-Star Break, either.

Sweep = Nice, but not "neccessary."

After this series, the Twins have 24 home games left and 30 road, including a 2-week long whopper.

alohafri
07-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I disagree, if you are in first place, as long as you don't lose a game in the standings, you're still gaining days. That's one less day and one less chance you have to be caught. Eventually, all leads become insurmountable.

September 2005 nearly gave me a heart attack!

fquaye149
07-28-2008, 08:39 AM

that's not true.

fquaye149
07-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Yeah, no ****. I think a quick look at magic numbers would pretty clearly show that not gaining ground=/=losing ground for a first place team.

Chez
07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Given the Sox track record in the Hump Dome over the years and the fact that we're missing Crede, Linebrink and Contreras for the series, I'd be thrilled with a split and could live with winning just one out of four.

beasly213
07-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I'll be quite pissed if the Sox split while it's happening but afterwords I'll probably look back and be happy with a split. Honestly I want to go in there and kick the crap out of them for 4 straight days.

Soxman219
07-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Discuss.

I agree 100% with that statement. Except for Tuesday we have the pitching advantage in most of the games. I want the Twins buried NOW! I want them to think "We can't beat the White Sox." Go for the juggular vein and end any idea to take the division. I want a sweep at the Humpdump.

alohafri
07-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah, no ****. I think a quick look at magic numbers would pretty clearly show that not gaining ground=/=losing ground for a first place team.

Magic numbers don't mean a thing until they are in the single digits.

fquaye149
07-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Magic numbers don't mean a thing until they are in the single digits.

Ok. I wasn't aware we were going to deal with non-facts as if they were facts.

My bad.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Apparently none of the pants-pissers have noticed the Twins haven't exactly been burning the American League with their play since the All-Star Break, either.

Sweep = Nice, but not "neccessary."

After this series, the Twins have 24 home games left and 30 road, including a 2-week long whopper.

Haha...they won two series and got swept by the Yankees in New York. Meanwhile, we LOST a home series to the Royals.

Look passed the wins and losses. Other than Buehrle, we haven't had one pitcher throw a decent game. That's pretty scary with our offense, which is streaky but can't carry us the whole way. We're gonna have to pitch close to like we did the first three months of the year to pull this off. That probably means acquiring another starter.

doublem23
07-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Haha...they won two series and got swept by the Yankees in New York. Meanwhile, we LOST a home series to the Royals.

Look passed the wins and losses. Other than Buehrle, we haven't had one pitcher throw a decent game. That's pretty scary with our offense, which is streaky but can't carry us the whole way. We're gonna have to pitch close to like we did the first three months of the year to pull this off. That probably means acquiring another starter.

And we turned around and won a road series in Detroit, despite the fact the Tigers where 28-15 at Comerica since the 1st week of the season coming into this weekend. And I believe I was assured (not neccessaily by you, I'm just saying in general) that Detroit was a team I was supposed to be concerned with and bla bla bla.

I agree the pitching's been very shaky recently, but will you please stop pretending like the Twins are this sleeping juggernaut? Obviously they're good to keep in the race (unlike your pre-season beloved Indians and Tigers), but they have just as many, if not more, holes in their game as we do.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
I think we need to split minimum....anything better than that is desireable. If we lose this series, it by no means is a disastor, but this place would be avoidable the next week or two.

Let's face it, the Sox are in "survival mode" right now. Our starting 3B, our fifth starter (who would have pitched this series), and our top setup guy are all hurt. That is not good. Anytime you have a lead this late in the year and you are able to take games off the schedule and maintain that lead, it is definitely a good thing. Either way, this series won't decide anything. Even if we sweep, the Twins are still alive, and even if we get swept, we're still very much alive.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Floyd and Danks really weren't as bad in their last starts as you make them out to be. They weren't great but they battled and gave us the chance to win. I'm more concerned about this teams mounting injuries than the starting pitching.

btrain929
07-28-2008, 09:53 AM

Discuss.

Plus you have to keep in mind the current state of our team. Injured are:

Crede
Linebrink
Contreras

Which puts Josh Fields, DJ Carrasco, and Clayton Richard into very important roles on our team.

I'd be very happy with a split, and ecstatic about 3/4.

btrain929
07-28-2008, 09:56 AM
I think we need to split minimum....anything better than that is desireable. If we lose this series, it by no means is a disastor, but this place would be avoidable the next week or two.

Let's face it, the Sox are in "survival mode" right now. Our starting 3B, our fifth starter (who would have pitched this series), and our top setup guy are all hurt. That is not good. Anytime you have a lead this late in the year and you are able to take games off the schedule and maintain that lead, it is definitely a good thing. Either way, this series won't decide anything. Even if we sweep, the Twins are still alive, and even if we get swept, we're still very much alive.

Exactly. That means other teams are running out of time, not us.

Foulke You
07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I just want to see fundamental baseball. If the Sox don't give away games, they should split this series at the very minimum.
I think this is huge for the Sox in this series. I've been happy with the wins lately but I don't like the way we've been kicking the ball all over the yard in key situations. 2 to 3 errors against the Twins in that Dome will destroy us. We need the defense to settle down and make the plays for our pitching staff in this series like they did in the first half of the season.

I would also lump base running into the fundamentals dept. I don't want to see us throwing runs away like sending slow footed runners home on base hits to short left field like we did last week.

Hitmen77
07-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Here’s what I think going into the series:

4 game sweep: Huge boost for Sox….huge blow for Twins. I’d be ecstatic.

Sox take 3 of 4: I’d be delighted. Again, this would be great news for the Sox.

Series split: This would be acceptable. This would be much better news for Sox than Twins since we’d keep our 2.5 game lead and knock out 4 HumpDome games off the schedule.

Sox lose 3 of 4: I’d be very disappointed, but it wouldn’t be a total disaster. Sox would cling to 0.5 game lead (same as on July 21).

Twins sweep Sox: Total disaster. Twins up 1.5 games. Tigers could be closing in on us. Twins would have momentum, Sox would be reeling. WSI goes into meltdown mode.

jabrch
07-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I would also lump base running into the fundamentals dept. I don't want to see us throwing runs away like sending slow footed runners home on base hits to short left field like we did last week.

That said, I want to continue to be aggressive and make our opponents make the play... I don't want to see this team play too conservative.

jabrch
07-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Twins sweep Sox: Total disaster. Twins up 1.5 games. Tigers could be closing in on us. Twins would have total momentum, Sox would be reeling. WSI goes into meltdown mode.

If we lose just 1 game, this will happen. Hell - it happens while we WIN games against the Tigers.

fquaye149
07-28-2008, 10:14 AM
If we lose just 1 game, this will happen. Hell - it happens while we WIN games against the Tigers.

:whiner:

hawkjt
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Splitting would be definitely acceptable.
Twins are hard to beat in the dome.
They are clinging to the fact that the 7 games they have left with the Sox are in the dome. Just like we are feeling good about the tigers since their only games vs the sox are in Soxpark. So if the tigers split those six we will be disapointed and the same will be true for twins fans if we split those game this week.

Will Ozzie use BA in the outfield in the dome? I think he should actually think about sitting swish vs perkins and letting both PK and BA play.

Swish is scuffling. he could use a day or two off. BA would be useful in the dome. Go Sox.

TwinKess
07-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wishing for a sweep of you guys, but looking at the pitching matchups and I'd say the Sox have the advantage 3/4 games.

:(:

AnkleSox
07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wishing for a sweep of you guys, but looking at the pitching matchups and I'd say the Sox have the advantage 3/4 games.

:(:

Not the way they've been pitching and not in that goddamn dome.

Foulke You
07-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Which puts Josh Fields, DJ Carrasco, and Clayton Richard into very important roles on our team.
Carrasco has impressed me so far. We need Nick Masset and Ehren Wasserman to step up because in a 4 game set, there is a good chance we'll be needing both of them at some point to get some key outs.

I like Fields but we're kind've throwing him into the fire in this road trip. Lots of pressure to perform and he is also probably pressing because he knows this is a big chance for him to show KW he can handle the position. However, I feel more comfortable starting the veteran Uribe at 3B in this series. (Never thought I'd say that...) Uribe has had some decent ABs lately and seems more comfortable on defense than Fields. Uribe also has plenty of experience with the turf at the dome.

cleanwsox
07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Uribe also has plenty of experience with the turf at the dome.

I'm with you there, we need the best defense we can get in the Humpdome.

kittle42
07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I see the lynch mob is already getting out their torches.

Splitting a 4-game series on the road against any team is generally acceptable, and it is particularly so against a good team like the Twins.

Steelrod
07-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm good with a split!

aryzner
07-28-2008, 10:51 AM
However, I feel more comfortable starting the veteran Uribe at 3B in this series. (Never thought I'd say that...) Uribe has had some decent ABs lately and seems more comfortable on defense than Fields. Uribe also has plenty of experience with the turf at the dome.
Agreed. I'll take Uribe's experienced glove over there and strong arm. The Sox will need strong throws over there with that Carlos Gomez leading off for the Twins. (He's not hurt is he? I saw him slam into the wall in CF a week or two ago but I haven't read/heard anything since.)

asindc
07-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Carrasco has impressed me so far. We need Nick Masset and Ehren Wasserman to step up because in a 4 game set, there is a good chance we'll be needing both of them at some point to get some key outs.

I like Fields but we're kind've throwing him into the fire in this road trip. Lots of pressure to perform and he is also probably pressing because he knows this is a big chance for him to show KW he can handle the position. However, I feel more comfortable starting the veteran Uribe at 3B in this series. (Never thought I'd say that...) Uribe has had some decent ABs lately and seems more comfortable on defense than Fields. Uribe also has plenty of experience with the turf at the dome.

I agree with starting Uribe this series, or at least giving him the 6th inning and later. I would hate (and I'm sure Fields would hate even more) to see a game lost because of Fields' defense.

asindc
07-28-2008, 10:57 AM

I respectfully, but wholeheartedly, disagree with this. The whole point of being in first is that the teams behind you have to play better than you to beat you from this point on. I would be perfectly happy if the Twinkees only managed to match the Sox from here on, including this series.

peeonwrigley
07-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Split? Yes please.

Britt Burns
07-28-2008, 11:18 AM
A split is a win for us. Especially in that miserable place.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM
With the Sox in first place maintaining the status quo and knocking four more games off the schedule (leaving them with 55) is certainly in their favor.

Given the past results, the current injuries, how could you not be satisfying with a split?

Lip

munchman33
07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
And we turned around and won a road series in Detroit, despite the fact the Tigers where 28-15 at Comerica since the 1st week of the season coming into this weekend. And I believe I was assured (not neccessaily by you, I'm just saying in general) that Detroit was a team I was supposed to be concerned with and bla bla bla.

I agree the pitching's been very shaky recently, but will you please stop pretending like the Twins are this sleeping juggernaut? Obviously they're good to keep in the race (unlike your pre-season beloved Indians and Tigers), but they have just as many, if not more, holes in their game as we do.

I agree the Twins have just as many holes as we do. I'd just rather they were the ones with pitching problems. Having to outslug your opponents to win is fine once in a while, but it isn't going to work out very well long term.

FielderJones
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Desirable, no. Realistic and acceptable, yes. I'd love a sweep or 3 wins. I can live with 2.

Foulke You
07-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I agree the Twins have just as many holes as we do. I'd just rather they were the ones with pitching problems. Having to outslug your opponents to win is fine once in a while, but it isn't going to work out very well long term.
The good news is that we're running Buehrle and Danks out there for two of the 4 games and Gavin looks like he is slowly getting control of that curveball again so I feel pretty good about him too. Clayton Richard is the wild card in the series. Javy not pitching until KC is a good thing.

Jim Shorts
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM

Discuss.

Please and thank you.

thomas35forever
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Considering our level of play in that dump, I would accept a split. Those expecting no less than three wins are raising their standards a little high.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 12:06 PM
The good news is that we're running Buehrle and Danks out there for two of the 4 games and Gavin looks like he is slowly getting control of that curveball again so I feel pretty good about him too. Clayton Richard is the wild card in the series. Javy not pitching until KC is a good thing.

Danks has been torched two straight outings.

bluestar
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
A split would be good, taking three of four would be great, and a sweep would be awesome.

As a couple of others have said, I just hope the Sox don't beat themselves. It is hard enough to beat the Twins at their place when you only give them three outs per inning; it is essential to stay away from those four and five out innings.

I think tonight is a key game in the series. If the Sox win tonight, then it eases the pressure somewhat, because they know whatever happens in the remaining three games, they leave with the division lead. If the Sox lose tonight, they will have lost with their best pitcher and the pressure goes up significantly to win at least one of the remaining three games.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 12:39 PM

KC was a definite torch job but the Detoit game? He gave up four runs across six with five strikeouts and no walks. Not the greatest numbers but I would hardly say he was "torched".

hawkjt
07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
A split would be good, taking three of four would be great, and a sweep would be awesome.

As a couple of others have said, I just hope the Sox don't beat themselves. It is hard enough to beat the Twins at their place when you only give them three outs per inning; it is essential to stay away from those four and five out innings.

I think tonight is a key game in the series. If the Sox win tonight, then it eases the pressure somewhat, because they know whatever happens in the remaining three games, they leave with the division lead. If the Sox lose tonight, they will have lost with their best pitcher and the pressure goes up significantly to win at least one of the remaining three games.

Absolutely essential the Sox take tonites game, I agree. MB has historically done well in the dome and against the twins overall.
Sox need to fire up the intensity and get to Slowey early and often. Give MB a lead and he should take care of the rest.

zach23
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
You are right, with the Twins throwing those Cy-Young candidates Kevin Slowey, Glen Perkins, and Livan Hernandez, the Sox have no chance.

How is it that you see the Sox having so many pitching problems, but you overlook how mediocre the Twins pitching is this year?

munchman33
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
You are right, with the Twins throwing those Cy-Young candidates Kevin Slowey, Glen Perkins, and Livan Hernandez, the Sox have no chance.

How is it that you see the Sox having so many pitching problems, but you overlook how mediocre the Twins pitching is this year?

The Twins have the best era in baseball over the last 90 or so games. I heard that on the radio, but I'm sure it be easy to find somewhere. They've been brilliant after a really bad start. Slowey, Perkins, and Hernandez are all pitching better than our guys as of late, without a doubt (other than Mark).

alohafri
07-28-2008, 12:54 PM

These are likely the two games we lose. Unless they bring up a couple of guys from the minors for their first sniff at the majors to face us.

viagracat
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I see the lynch mob is already getting out their torches.

Splitting a 4-game series on the road against any team is generally acceptable, and it is particularly so against a good team like the Twins.

Exactly. The key to winning a division title is to play .500 on the road while taking care of business at home. If the Sox do split against the Twins and take a very doable 2 out of 3 from Kansas City, they have a 6-4 trip against Central Division rivals, with a long, albeit tough, homestand to follow.

Not bad.

zach23
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
The Twins have the best era in baseball over the last 90 or so games. I heard that on the radio, but I'm sure it be easy to find somewhere. They've been brilliant after a really bad start. Slowey, Perkins, and Hernandez are all pitching better than our guys as of late, without a doubt (other than Mark).

Twins pitching stats for the month of July - http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/stats/MIN/regularseason/PIT-JUL/yearly

Yeah, Slowey and Hernandez have been lights out with those ERAs of 9.00 and 5.68.

So you are saying you would trade the Sox pitching staff for what the Twins have?

itsnotrequired
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM

Twins season ERA as of April 29: 4.29

Twins season ERA as of July 27: 4.29

Sox season ERA as of April 29: 3.76

Sox season ERA as of July 27: 3.73

:scratch:

zach23
07-28-2008, 01:06 PM
These are likely the two games we lose. Unless they bring up a couple of guys from the minors for their first sniff at the majors to face us.

Thank god the players don't have the same defeatist attitude. They may have listened to everyone that said they were a last place team back in February, given up on the season, and right now we wouldn't even be talking about a showdown to maintain first place heading into August.

BringBackBlkJack
07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Tonight we face Slowey, who even when he was pitching well in the beginning of the season we destroyed. He has faded since then, so I really like our chances of starting the series off with a W. However, as many have noted the TwinkieDome is an anomaly, and games are not played on paper. But look at this line and tell me you don't get a good feeling:

vs. CWS (2008) ERA - 12.38 / W0-L2 / 8 IP / 14 H / 11 R / 11 ER / 3 HR / BAA .368

Here's to refusing to deviate to the mean! :gulp:

SoxSpeed22
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
A sweep is more desirable than anything, but I would be happy with a split.

alohafri
07-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Thank god the players don't have the same defeatist attitude. They may have listened to everyone that said they were a last place team back in February, given up on the season, and right now we wouldn't even be talking about a showdown to maintain first place heading into August.

Have you seen how games go against these unnamed pitchers?

whitesox901
07-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Split wouldnt be the end of the world, but 3/4 or even complete the sweep would be terrific!

zach23
07-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Have you seen how games go against these unnamed pitchers?

Yes, I have seen them look bad against many no-name pitchers, but you said that the two they would lose would be with Slowey and Perkins going. The Sox have faced both before.
The Sox have faced all four guys going this series. You are already surrendering games before the series even starts.
I am just glad that the players are not doing the same.

Yes, it is the Dome, and anything goes there, but this years Twins team is not the dominant force you are making them out to be. Plus, isn't Carlos Gomez still out? That hurts the Twins both offensively and defensively.
The Sox have a great chance to come out of there with a split and hold their position.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Twins pitching stats for the month of July - http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/stats/MIN/regularseason/PIT-JUL/yearly

Yeah, Slowey and Hernandez have been lights out with those ERAs of 9.00 and 5.68.

So you are saying you would trade the Sox pitching staff for what the Twins have?

Twins season ERA as of April 29: 4.29

Twins season ERA as of July 27: 4.29

Sox season ERA as of April 29: 3.76

Sox season ERA as of July 27: 3.73

:scratch:

Well I'm just plain wrong. :cool:

Our starters sure have sucked lately though. We do need to turn that around to win this thing.

zach23
07-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Well I'm just plain wrong. :cool:

Our starters sure have sucked lately though. We do need to turn that around to win this thing.

I will agree with you there, they need to get better. However, like hitting, pitching also goes into slumps. Hopefully they are getting their slump out of the way now while the offense is scoring, and down the stretch they will be back to form.

LITTLE NELL
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
We are a little banged up and the pitching staff is not at Cy Young level right now. At the start of the trip I wanted to go 2-1 in Motown, 2-2 in Minny and 2-1 in KC for a 6-4 road trip, thats a .600 pct on the road and that wins pennants.

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
The Sox have a losing record on the road.

The Twinkies are 15 games above .500 at home.

If we split, we are bucking the trend. So yes, a split is actually a positive. taking 3 out of 4 would be great but another 4 game sweep would make us all feel good.

turners56
07-28-2008, 02:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with splitting a 4 game series at the Metrodome. I'll just be glad if we get out of there still in first place.

Adele_H
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Discuss.

No, a split is not desirable, tolerable but not desirable.

Sox have to believe they are the best, and, most, importantly, show on the field.

I understand that sweeping may not be easy because you need luck, favorable umpiring, all your good players healthy, etc..... But if Sox are really serious about World Series and truly believe they are a superior team to the Twins (without Santana, Liriano, Hunter, Stewart, at that), then merely split will not do.

Foulke You
07-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, it is the Dome, and anything goes there, but this years Twins team is not the dominant force you are making them out to be. Plus, isn't Carlos Gomez still out? That hurts the Twins both offensively and defensively.
The Sox have a great chance to come out of there with a split and hold their position.
Sounds like Gomez is out with a bruised tail bone and back:
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080727&content_id=3206467&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

It is also encouraging to see that some of those Twins hitters like Kubel and Buscher really struggle against lefties. (.150 avgs) We're running 3 left handers (Buehrle, Richard, and Danks) out there in this series.

KenBerryGrab
07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with splitting a 4 game series at the Metrodome. I'll just be glad if we get out of there still in first place.

This is a sane and realistic post. Let's not forget all the evil that has taken place in that balloon-topped, garbage-sacked monstrosity.

turners56
07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
This is a sane and realistic post. Let's not forget all the evil that has taken place in that balloon-topped, garbage-sacked monstrosity.

Does anybody even remember the last time we won an entire series there when it counted?

asindc
07-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Does anybody even remember the last time we won an entire series there when it counted?

In 2005.

turners56
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
In 2005.

Yes we did, we won 3 actually. One in the beginning of the season. And two at the end. They were actually all 3 gamers too.

Too bad 2005 is 3 years in the past...

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Is this ever true! Nice post. :thumbsup:

I also agree with the poster you originally quoted- I'd be happy with a split, though, quite obviously, 3 of 4 or a sweep is more desired.

pmck003
07-28-2008, 02:56 PM

I will agree with you there, they need to get better. However, like hitting, pitching also goes into slumps. Hopefully they are getting their slump out of the way now while the offense is scoring, and down the stretch they will be back to form.

I really don't think the starting pitching has been all that bad - Texas and Detroit are great hitting clubs and we were in their ballparks (Texas before the break). Danks had a tough time vs. KC but that's one game. Javy has looked inconsistent (surprise), but Richard has only his one start.

While another starter would be nice, I would hope that no one freaks out if some of the pitchers have a rough time in the Metrodome; a hard place to pitch against a team that has been scoring runs and playing very good at home. Considering they are 34-19 in the triple H, I'd be very happy with a split (though I still have picked out a broom to bring). Maybe we have been spoiled watching dominant pitching for a good portion of the year. Lately, what worries me the most is the Sox's errors.

Soxman219
07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Is this ever true! Nice post. :thumbsup:

I also agree with the poster you originally quoted- I'd be happy with a split, though, quite obviously, 3 of 4 or a sweep is more desired.

I want a sweep! End any idea of them taking the division from us and sweep them! When was the last time we swept the Twins at the Twinkiedump dome? In the past the Twins have ruined the Sox' chances of making the postseason by sweeping us at the Cell. 2004 is a perfect example. We had a .5 game lead going into that series against the Twins. Anyone remember that series highlighted by Torii Hunter trucking Jamie Burke at the plate? The Twins swept us in that 4 game series at home and we never recovered.

It's time to return the favor. It will be hard in that dump, but if the Twins are able to sweep us at home. We should sweep them at the Humpdump.

alohafri
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
No, a split is not desirable, tolerable but not desirable.

Sox have to believe they are the best, and, most, importantly, show on the field.

I understand that sweeping may not be easy because you need luck, favorable umpiring, all your good players healthy, etc..... But if Sox are really serious about World Series and truly believe they are a superior team to the Twins (without Santana, Liriano, Hunter, Stewart, at that), then merely split will not do.

Amen!

alohafri
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I want a sweep! End any idea of them taking the division from us and sweep them! When was the last time we swept the Twins at the Twinkiedump dome? In the past the Twins have ruined the Sox' chances of making the postseason by sweeping us at the Cell. 2004 is a perfect example. We had a .5 game lead going into that series against the Twins. Anyone remember that series highlighted by Torii Hunter trucking Jamie Burke at the plate? The Twins swept us in that 4 game series at home and we never recovered.

It's time to return the favor. It will be hard in that dump, but if the Twins are able to sweep us at home. We should sweep them at the Humpdump.

Double AMEN! I hate the Twins more than any team in baseball (well, in the American League) because of their history against the Sox. Put them out of their misery now, before they realize that they are still in the race!

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM

How could we forget?! The fact that we did nothing to retaliate against Hunter and the Twins in that series, or during any of the remaining '04 series, was talked about for days on end.

I agree that it's time to return the favor and it'd be sweet as hell to go into that dump, sweep the Twins, and send them into a tailspin they'd never recover from! However, I'm trying to be realistic and not expect too much because then if a Sox sweep doesn't happen, I don't want to be disappointed.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
You always want to sweep a series. But going in and saying nothing short of a sweep will do is insane. Sweeping a very good team on the road in a 4 game series is very rare. I just hope that this place doesn't turn to hell if we drop a game or two.....

I mean people are pissed about only winning 2 of 3 in Detroit. How do you think the Tigers feel about that?

Some of you people need to seperate what you want to happen in an ideal world vs. what would be a good achievement realistically speaking...you'll live longer and might actually be able to enjoy this series.

BadBobbyJenks
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
If giving up four runs in a win against Detroit is being torched I fear for Johnny's safety if he loses to Minnesota this week.

Would love to win the series, but a split is fine by me. I still don't understand the every game is game 7 of the world series mentality a lot of people have on this site.

JB98
07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Count me among the people who would be happy to split. When you have the lead, maintaining the status quo is just fine. Especially on the road.

Right now, the Twins are 2.5 back with seven head-to-head meeting remaining. If we reach a point where the Twins are 2.5 back with three head-to-head meetings remaining, that is Advantage Sox.

A 2.5-game lead on Aug. 1 trumps a 2.5-game lead on July 28 as well, because you are four days closer to the end of the season.

asindc
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
You always want to sweep a series. But going in and saying nothing short of a sweep will do is insane. Sweeping a very good team on the road in a 4 game series is very rare. I just hope that this place doesn't turn to hell if we drop a game or two.....

I mean people are pissed about only winning 2 of 3 in Detroit. How do you think the Tigers feel about that?

Some of you people need to seperate what you want to happen in an ideal world vs. what would be a good achievement realistically speaking...you'll live longer and might actually be able to enjoy this series.

Enjoy the series? I just hope the site doesn't crash this week!

Marqhead
07-28-2008, 04:12 PM
LETS
GO
SOX!

I'm really excited for this series. :cool:

hawkjt
07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Even if the Sox go 1-3 in the dome...they still lead by .5 game coming out of there which is right back where they were about 10 games ago...

Just do not get swept...that is all I ask.

soxwon
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
ill take a split but id bet we win 3 of 4, its our time, its our league its our baseball, and were gonna take it home all night long.

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Obviously the most desirable outcome would be to the sweep these bastards, but a split is fine, so is only winning one. So long as we don't get swept, we're ok. Even if we do get swept it's not the end of the world.

Railsplitter
07-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Maybe I should choose my words better!

Still, I think a slipt in a four game series against a division rival, especially a good one, isn't such a bad thing for a first place team, though I'd feel a lot better if it were closer to the end of season. the season

Also, it has been said here the Twins will have 31 of thier last 50 games. That incluseds an 11 game, 11 day West Coast swing starting August 21.

Also,I wanted to get the pulse of my fellow WSIers

soxwon
07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
come on people quit being so frickin realistic.
I want everyone thinking 3 out of 4 or 4 straight come on.
We are the TEAM, whats it take to get you to realise we are the BEST. Damn IT. Get your crap together.
No more uh 1 or 2 win thinking.

PhillipsBubba
07-28-2008, 08:54 PM
The way they're playing tonight I'll settle for one...:?:

thomas35forever
07-28-2008, 09:06 PM
The way they're playing tonight I'll settle for one...:?:
Ditto. I thought tonight was our best chance to win. One of our starters better grow a pair during the next few games. Anyone doing it would be nice.

Frontman
07-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Just do not get swept...that is all I ask.

Agreed, but its hard to have some faith that won't happen when our best pitcher didn't get it done tonight, here's to hoping Danks and Floyd can grab two and the Sox just slug a victory out on Wednesday by batting in 8-11 runs.

Yikes, bad day of baseball.

kitekrazy
07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
If the Sox get swept they would be 2 1/2 out and it's still July. A 2 1/2 game lead may be safe in the final week of the season.

JB98
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
come on people quit being so frickin realistic.
I want everyone thinking 3 out of 4 or 4 straight come on.
We are the TEAM, whats it take to get you to realise we are the BEST. Damn IT. Get your crap together.
No more uh 1 or 2 win thinking.

Sox fans by their nature are realistic. We will battle the Twins for first place all the way into late September.

soxfanreggie
07-29-2008, 12:39 AM
After today, I would settle for a split. No ground gained, but no ground lost by the Sox compared to the Twins, and you're 4 games closer to the end of the season.

whitesox901
07-29-2008, 02:33 AM
After today, I would settle for a split. No ground gained, but no ground lost by the Sox compared to the Twins, and you're 4 games closer to the end of the season.

Amen

BRDSR
07-29-2008, 07:59 AM
If the Sox get swept they would be 2 1/2 out and it's still July. A 2 1/2 game lead may be safe in the final week of the season.

The Sox started the series 2.5 up on the Twins. If they get swept the Twins would be 1.5 up on them. If they split, they'd still be 2.5 up on the Twins.

Yes, a split is desirable.

Mohoney
07-29-2008, 08:14 AM
A split is desirable. If we can go 3-3 in the 6 remaining games with the Twins, which are all at the dome, I'll be happy with it.

It's not just this dome, either. We got swept 4 games in Toronto, and we have a losing record (although this year, 3-4 at the Trop isn't that bad) in Tampa.

A.T. Money
07-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Considering our play there in recent years, I'll take a split...and especially now after watching last night's crapfest.

Adele_H
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Un-mothe****ing-acceptable results last night. On every level.

****!

chaerulez
07-29-2008, 09:38 AM

What? That makes no sense. Late in the season if you are the first place team and maintaining the same lead that's not losing anything. Is it necessarily desirable? No. But it's not a bad thing, three out of four away to the second best team in the division is asking a lot.

I like the unreasonable expectations here for this three out of four. What in the Sox recent history has indicated that three out of four is something we should expect? It's something that would be great, but nothing wrong with settling for a split, especially since we play a bad team next series, that's a team we should have the goal of sweeping.

Adele_H
07-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I like the unreasonable expectations here for this three out of four. .

It's only "unreasonable" if

A) you have the "aw shucks; thinkin' big is for dem real powerhouse organizations on dat der east coast" mentality and don't really believe this team is a legit World Series contender.
B) you are perfectly fine with your team ace crapping his pants in a big game when things don't go his way (Punto's little bouncer, ump squeeezing him a little, maybe an error).
C) you are even more fine with a Greg Walkerb Special of an offensive effort where swings are as big as they are tardy, and game-situation-oblivious.... Not to forget the awful defense, I bet you loved that.

fquaye149
07-29-2008, 10:45 AM

A) you have the "aw shucks; thinkin' big is for dem real powerhouse organizations on dat der east coast" mentality and don't really believe this team is a legit World Series contender.
B) you are perfectly fine with your team ace crapping his pants in a big game when things don't go his way (Punto's little bouncer, ump squeeezing him a little, maybe an error).
C) you are even more fine with a Greg Walkerb Special of an offensive effort where swings are as big as they are tardy, and game-situation-oblivious.

Or it's unreasonable if you realize that we never have much success at the metrodome, even during our 2005 season.

Or it's unreasonable if you realize that it's incredibly difficult to win a 4 game series on the road.

Or it's unreasonable if you realize that the Twins are a pretty good team, especially at not losing 3 games out of 4

chaerulez
07-29-2008, 11:32 AM

C) you are even more fine with a Greg Walkerb Special of an offensive effort where swings are as big as they are tardy, and game-situation-oblivious.... Not to forget the awful defense, I bet you loved that.

What does the east coast have to do with a series between the Twins and Sox? Nothing. Winning three out of four against any team even the Royals or Mariners on their homefield is tough to do. Much less against a team two and a half games below you in the standings. The Sox aren't going to win every single series from here on out, I'm sorry to inform you.

Or it's unreasonable if you realize that we never have much success at the metrodome, even during our 2005 season.

Or it's unreasonable if you realize that it's incredibly difficult to win a 4 game series on the road.

Or it's unreasonable if you realize that the Twins are a pretty good team, especially at not losing 3 games out of 4

Hey don't go using logic now.

PushinWeight
07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
I hope we win tonight so that we don't have to pray for a split in the final two games...

Old-N-Slow
07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
To me the answer is always the same, doesn't matter if it is home or away, division rival, or from the NL, just win the next game. Having said that, a split on the road with the team you are leading, is not the worse thing to expect. If this was a playoff series, splitting the away games and winning at home is a nice formula for success.

soxpride724
07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I hope we win tonight so that we don't have to pray for a split in the final two games...

I'm with you pal. The way the Sox have played in the Dump Dome the past few years I would rather not be put in a must win situation up there.

Old-N-Slow
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Another thought, how many Twin fans would be wanting a split? If they think it is bad for their team, it has to be good for ours. Of course today what we are really talking is winning 2 of 3.

rwcescato
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Discuss.

yes it is.

kitekrazy
07-29-2008, 02:47 PM

It's time for some to realize that.

Station to station teams don't match up well against the Twins if the heart of your lineup isn't batting over .300. Your staff also has to hold runners on base.

shes
07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
What? That makes no sense. Late in the season if you are the first place team and maintaining the same lead that's not losing anything. Is it necessarily desirable? No. But it's not a bad thing, three out of four away to the second best team in the division is asking a lot.

I like the unreasonable expectations here for this three out of four. What in the Sox recent history has indicated that three out of four is something we should expect? It's something that would be great, but nothing wrong with settling for a split, especially since we play a bad team next series, that's a team we should have the goal of sweeping.

Careful, lest you be labeled a pants-pissing dark cloud and have your opinion readily dismissed.

kitekrazy
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
especially since we play a bad team next series, that's a team we should have the goal of sweeping.

So many teams have ruined their chances for not beating the teams they should. You could call this a big series but losing 2/3 to the Royals at home looks really big now.

chaerulez
07-30-2008, 12:22 AM
So much for that three out of four being what we should have expected.

I still think the Sox have a good chance to get these two games back. Tonight was a game we really had no business losing, when you get a four run lead and lose you basically gave the game away. Livan is the type of pitcher that the Sox seem to do well against, like the anti-Slowey so to speak. And it seems the Sox are always in it when Danks is pitching.

BRDSR
07-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, the Twins have managed to turn a series where their back was up against the wall and put the Sox' back up against the wall. Biggest game of the season thusfar for the White Sox tonight. Not a "must win," but as close to one as they've played yet this season. Will be interested to see how the team responds.

ndgt10
07-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm hoping that the Sox can just win one of these last two games. I have to admit, it appears that the Twins are more suited for October than the Sox. I love their ability to manufacture runs and they really bend you over when you make one mistake. Contrast to the Sox who live and die with the homer and it looks like the Twinks have the inside track to the division title.

tstrike2000
07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
I have to admit, it appears that the Twins are more suited for October than the Sox.

If true, not a good thing because the Hump Domers will be one and done.

asindc
07-30-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm hoping that the Sox can just win one of these last two games. I have to admit, it appears that the Twins are more suited for October than the Sox. I love their ability to manufacture runs and they really bend you over when you make one mistake. Contrast to the Sox who live and die with the homer and it looks like the Twinks have the inside track to the division title.

If they continue to hit .320 with runners in scoring position well into Sept., then I'll take heed of your comments. Until I see that happening, though, I'll continue to be optimistic about the Sox chances.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2008, 09:08 AM
If true, not a good thing because the Hump Domers will be one and done as usual.

Fixed it.

Hitmen77
08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
A split doesn't look so bad in hindsight.

The Sox played as usual at that awful place. Amazing - it's a combination of our sloppy play plus the usual bloop hits, infield singles off the pitcher, and oddball events (on field delay to throw of our pitcher's rhythm) that help sink us.

I can't wait until the Twins move out of that hellhole. They'll be the same tough fundamental team, but there is something about domes and astroturf that kill us.

We better gain 3 more games on the Twins between now and our last series there in late September, otherwise it could be a very ugly ending to this season.