PDA

View Full Version : Chavez Out at Third

DrGiggles
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
According to http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=245056 Eric Chavez might be out at third base and might move to first base because of his arm. With the Duchsherer rumors going around we might be able to trade Fields and some more to get him. I know Crede is on the DL, but someone can fill in for a while until we decide on a candidate through FA. What do you guys think?

ChiSoxIn06
07-27-2008, 09:15 PM
why does everyone want duscherer? he has been roughed up his last 2 starts and i think is a complete overachiever in the 1st half.

Dan Mega
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
why does everyone want duscherer? he has been roughed up his last 2 starts and i think is a complete overachiever in the 1st half.

He really doesn't have a track record other than bullpen and spot starter and he is 30 years old. Agreed.

DrGiggles
07-27-2008, 09:27 PM

Roughed up just his last two outings? He has given up 2 or fewer earned runs in his previous 9 starts before yesterday in Texas and in those 9 starts he only pitched less than 7 innings in one game.

Tragg
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM
According to http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=245056 Eric Chavez might be out at third base and might move to first base because of his arm. With the Duchsherer rumors going around we might be able to trade Fields and some more to get him. I know Crede is on the DL, but someone can fill in for a while until we decide on a candidate through FA. What do you guys think?
I'll pass on trading Fields for a career middle reliever having a freak year.

DrGiggles
07-27-2008, 09:43 PM
It was just a thought, but I definitely can understand where you guys are coming from. :smile:

Cuck the Fubs
07-27-2008, 10:08 PM
If the A's are willing to trade him for Uribe sure........otherwise no way

getonbckthr
07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
I want nothing to do with a 30 yr old fluke.

kittle42
07-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Why is everyone so convinced he's a fluke? So, he was a very good middle reliever for 4 seasons who was elevated to SP this year. he has done very well, and has only really gotten rocked in his last start - against Texas.

He's no sure thing, but I don't know why everyone is so convinced he's a fluke. Oakland puts him out there for Fields, and Williams certainly has to think about it.

gr8mexico
07-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I would do it in a heart beat if the Sox can also get Street's in the deal. Everybody needs to know that Fields is not the answer at 3rd and Uribe can handle the Job until Crede comes back or for the rest of the season.
Did people forget that Defense and Pitching win championships

KyWhiSoxFan
07-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Fields is not the present or future 3B for the Sox. He can't field his position and he is a K machine at the plate. He put up some good numbers in his stint in 2007 when Crede was on the DL, but that would appear to be a fluke. I would trade him in off those numbers if the Sox can get someone to believe he will repeat them or improve on them.

kittle42
07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
I would do it in a heart beat if the Sox can also get Street's in the deal.

Who is "Street's" and what person do you know with an apostrophe "s" in their last name? :tongue:

gr8mexico
07-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Who is "Street's" and what person do you know with an apostrophe "s" in their last name? :tongue:
You must be bored.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Dude has a career ERA of 3.12 and WHIP of 1.11 over 6 plus seasons. He made the all-star team as a reliever in 2005, with an ERA of 2.12 and WHIP of 1.00. That is with an abnormally bad year last year.

His ERA this year is 2.37 and under 1, but is not that out of whack with his career numbers. Whether or not he wears down over the year may be an issue (much like Dempster on the other side of town) but anyone that calls him a "fluke" has not been paying attention to baseball the last 5 years.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2008, 11:40 PM

I know a guy named Tom O'Shelly with an apostrophe s in his last name :D:

beckett21
07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Why is everyone so convinced he's a fluke? So, he was a very good middle reliever for 4 seasons who was elevated to SP this year. he has done very well, and has only really gotten rocked in his last start - against Texas.

He's no sure thing, but I don't know why everyone is so convinced he's a fluke. Oakland puts him out there for Fields, and Williams certainly has to think about it.

Agreed.

The Sox have a legitimate chance to win a Championship this year. That is why they play the game, I thought--to win titles in the here and now, not some mythical world championship 5 years from now which may never materialize.

If they can a better player for Fields than Duchscherer, great. If not, he would look pretty good for the Sox in whatever capacity they need him in down the stretch. The guy has pitched well for the past several seasons now, albeit as a reliever up until this year. Not exactly a one-hit wonder. With Linebrink on the DL and Contreras questionable at best, an arm like Duchscherer's would be nice.

I'm not saying to just give Fields away, but he is KW's best bargaining chip right now. If he could help bring a key player or two in return that could put this team over the top, Kenny has to consider it.

FedEx227
07-28-2008, 12:00 AM
You must be bored.

Or you can just listen to what he says and you'll be a better human being for it.

I'm a card-carrying member of Kittle's Grammar Police.

guillen4life13
07-28-2008, 12:02 AM
I would do it in a heart beat if the Sox can also get Street's in the deal. Everybody needs to know that Fields is not the answer at 3rd and Uribe can handle the Job until Crede comes back or for the rest of the season.
Did people forget that Defense and Pitching win championships

I'm pretty sure Billy Beane may have the idea that Josh Fields isn't the answer at 3B for them either. I'm convinced that, at least right now, Fields' trade value is as low as it's ever been.

kittle42
07-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Or you can just listen to what he says and you'll be a better human being for it.

I should make cards! Maybe the slogan can be "Ignorance is not bliss."

gr8mexico
07-28-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty sure Billy Beane may have the idea that Josh Fields isn't the answer at 3B for them either. I'm convinced that, at least right now, Fields' trade value is as low as it's ever been.
I'm not sure about that. What other option do they have.They dont even have a 3rd base prospect in there system. Casey Blake,Joe Crede and Nomar are the only options at 3rd next year in the FA market and I'm sure not one of those players will be signing with the A's next year. If the Sox get stuck with Uribe next year so be it. But the Sox have a real good chance to win this year and they have to make a move to improve this team now.

whitesox901
07-28-2008, 12:57 AM

I'm part of the bad grammer, poor english & horrid spelling anarachy! :cool:

FedEx227
07-28-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm part of the bad grammer, poor english & horrid spelling anarachy! :cool:

You shall die.

whitesox901
07-28-2008, 01:04 AM
You shall die.

I really do love WSI! :tongue:

Tragg
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
He's also pitching in an extreme pitchers park and has been hard used by Beane.
Last time Beane sent us a veteran pitcher, he had no arm.
Don't do business with Beane.
Let's look at the record:
Zito -can't pitch a lick; people on this board told us he was better than MB
Mulder - dead arm; awful
Hudson - okay (but not great) when he's not experiencing arm trouble

And we want to give our best prospect for a pitcher with 1/2 of the credentials of those 4 above? PASS

And I know, Fields had a rough year in AAA this year, so to many he's useless. But let's just wait a bit; or see if we can get something a bit more substantial.

guillen4life13
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure about that. What other option do they have.They dont even have a 3rd base prospect in there system. Casey Blake,Joe Crede and Nomar are the only options at 3rd next year in the FA market and I'm sure not one of those players will be signing with the A's next year. If the Sox get stuck with Uribe next year so be it. But the Sox have a real good chance to win this year and they have to make a move to improve this team now.

Josh Fields is not anything close to a Moneyball type player, and I would see Beane trading one of the few stars he has left to get a high ceiling 3B prospect. Remember, Fields is already going to be 26 next season.

I'm not saying Fields isn't going to develop, but I am saying that if he is destined to develop plate discipline, it's going to take a while. Even last year, in all its glory, Fields posted an OBP of .308. This year he's been injured a bit but he still K's too much. Best case scenario, Fields turns into right handed Eric Chavez without the defense and with maybe a little bit more power (and a lower OBP).

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2008, 01:34 PM
He's also pitching in an extreme pitchers park and has been hard used by Beane.
Last time Beane sent us a veteran pitcher, he had no arm.
Don't do business with Beane.
Let's look at the record:
Zito -can't pitch a lick; people on this board told us he was better than MB
Mulder - dead arm; awful
Hudson - okay (but not great) when he's not experiencing arm trouble

And we want to give our best prospect for a pitcher with 1/2 of the credentials of those 4 above? PASS

And I know, Fields had a rough year in AAA this year, so to many he's useless. But let's just wait a bit; or see if we can get something a bit more substantial.

I agree that trading with Beane at this point is not worth it for a pitcher. His track record of selling high is pretty good. He's not going to be right 100% of the time, but he derives a lot of value for his pitchers, who pitch in such a spacious, pitcher-friendly park.

The questions is, is there some team out there that needs a 3B for the future (Fields) who is willing to part with a reliever or starter for, say, Fields Fields packaged with Broadway? I don't know what that would bring--it's not worth much to me--but if someone out there thinks it has value, please take it.

nasox
07-29-2008, 01:56 AM
I know a guy named Tom O'Shelly with an apostrophe s in his last name :D:

I like Kittle and I have a shirt that says, "Good grammar is hot," but...epic fail.

TDog
07-29-2008, 03:22 AM
I want nothing to do with a 30 yr old fluke.

Duchscherer is a two-time all-star. He has always been a pretty good pitcher. I don't believe he has been the best starter in the league just because he has had the best ERA. He has always been a good reliever, and this year he has been an effective starter. He is having a much better season than Street, and as a reliever Duchscherer could be used as a spot starter.

I don't see Billy Beane giving him up for Josh Fields, though.