07-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Breaking News:
Brewers tie Cubs for 1st place.
White Sox have better record than Cubs.
Thousands of Cub fans on suicide watch.

Stay tuned, more later.

WSox597
07-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Somebody, somewhere, is skinning a goat carcass to be deployed on the Harry Carey statue....:smile:

Jaffar
07-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Somebody, somewhere, is skinning a goat carcass to be deployed on the Harry Carey statue....:smile:

That would never happen, never ever ever!

Railsplitter
07-27-2008, 08:48 AM
This would really make Schlub fans **** thier pants: BARTMAN FOR PRESIDENT

(Od course, I knew from the first viewing of the tape Bartman was blameless)

Frontman
07-27-2008, 09:14 AM
The skinned goat stunt was classless (and we as Sox fans got blamed for it naturally) but man, could this be the year...................

that they blow in my opinion, the best chance they've had in a long, long time?

PatK
07-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I dunno, 2003 they had a pretty good chance and blew it.

One of my best memories of that was watching sad Cubs fans walk past my condo crying and moaning about what happened, while other residents yelled at them to shut the hell up from their windows.

Frontman
07-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I dunno, 2003 they had a pretty good chance and blew it.

One of my best memories of that was watching sad Cubs fans walk past my condo crying and moaning about what happened, while other residents yelled at them to shut the hell up from their windows.

I don't think I ever told the story of 2003 for what happened with me. I made a bet with a buddy, because I've always said, "I want the Sox to win it first, but if Chicago finally gets a World Series; I'd be happy." Well, he said to me to put my money where my mouth was and wear a Cubs hat if they made the playoffs. I said only if they advance one round, as we have seen both sides of town make the playoffs then wet the bed.

So, here I go and have to buy a smeggin' Cubs hat, because of course they roll through the first round. I'm sitting on the couch, with the Cubs hat on saying, "Man, they're going to make it to the Series before the Sox. Dammit," when Bartman touched that ball. I immediately jump up, throw that hat the length of our apartment down the hallway, and said, "There goes their chance."

I now use it for Halloween. I wear it, saying to folks "Frightening to see, ain't it?" because everyone I work with knows how much of a Sox fan I am.

And going into this season, I thought this Cubs squad was even better than that 2003 team. I'm not about to write their obit yet; but within a few days the "curse" talk will start if they drop another few games.

MCHSoxFan
07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't think I ever told the story of 2003 for what happened with me. I made a bet with a buddy, because I've always said, "I want the Sox to win it first, but if Chicago finally gets a World Series; I'd be happy." Well, he said to me to put my money where my mouth was and wear a Cubs hat if they made the playoffs. I said only if they advance one round, as we have seen both sides of town make the playoffs then wet the bed.

So, here I go and have to buy a smeggin' Cubs hat, because of course they roll through the first round. I'm sitting on the couch, with the Cubs hat on saying, "Man, they're going to make it to the Series before the Sox. Dammit," when Bartman touched that ball. I immediately jump up, throw that hat the length of our apartment down the hallway, and said, "There goes their chance."

I now use it for Halloween. I wear it, saying to folks "Frightening to see, ain't it?" because everyone I work with knows how much of a Sox fan I am.

And going into this season, I thought this Cubs squad was even better than that 2003 team. I'm not about to write their obit yet; but within a few days the "curse" talk will start if they drop another few games.

Nice! Just like I said before this DET/MIN series, it could make-or-break our season. Same with this upcoming CUBS/MIL series.

He gone
07-27-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/L_flag.jpg

ComiskeyBrewer
07-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Another tidbit:

The cubs no longer get to play the NL West, who they finished 23-10 against. How did they fair against the rest of the league? 37-34. I don't expect them to go on any long winning streaks anytime soon.

turners56
07-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Man, you're good. You knew that the Cubs were gonna lose just when Bartman touched the ball? What a prediction...

Too bad it was Alex Gonzales that screwed over...

DumpJerry
07-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Man, you're good. You knew that the Cubs were gonna lose just when Bartman touched the ball? What a prediction...

I knew it, too. I knew it not because Bartman touched the ball. I knew it because Moisture threw down his glove and yelled at the fans. I knew it because Prior was on the mound yelling at the fans in LF.

That routine foul ball got in their heads and they lost their control of the game at that moment. To stay in the game, Moisture, a veteran player, should have walked back to his position in LF as if nothing had happened. Someone should have gone to the mound to tell the young Mark Prior to forget about it and keep pitching. But noooo.......a circus ensued following that play and the Cub players were already very tensed up from the pressure of losing a three game to one lead they just fell apart and started playing like Little Leaguers at that point.

Frontman
07-27-2008, 04:31 PM

Every time the Cubs have been close, something happens that immediately gets both the fans and the team to point at and go "If this didn't happen, we would of...." It happened before. For crying out loud, they blamed a cat for walking near Santo that one game, let alone the whole stupid goat thing.

When Alou threw the temper tantrum, I was convinced they were done. It was a team with talent, but a team that believes in all of that fanbase "dis is our year, were a team of destiny" crap. Once they had one thing go against them, excuses piled on everywhere, and professional baseball players decided to blame a fan versus blaming themselves for their lack of professionalism. And noone made a better example of that than good ol' Dusty. He even blamed Bartman for their loss, instead of "It happened and took our mind off of the task at hand, we'll get them tomorrow."

That being said, Lou has shown he won't buy into that, and won't put up with anyone who will. But I feel Lou will either get them a World Series, or he'll get sick of the "Go Cubs Go/Loveable losers/who cares about the record as our attendance rocked again" crap and leave.

Hitmen77
07-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Breaking News:
Brewers tie Cubs for 1st place.
White Sox have better record than Cubs.
Thousands of Cub fans on suicide watch.

Stay tuned, more later.

As someone who has had to hear all year long (both in the media and from personal friends and acquaintances) that the Cubs are the talk of the town and the Sox are of no interest and are only in first by some temporary fluke - this is a sweet moment.

I'm well aware that the season isn't over yet. The Cubs could go all the way and the Sox could fall apart. All I'm saying that this is a great moment because so many Cub fans have been shooting their mouths off since April as if they've already won the pennant.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
As someone who has had to hear all year long (both in the media and from personal friends and acquaintances) that the Cubs are the talk of the town and the Sox are of no interest and are only in first by some temporary fluke - this is a sweet moment.

I'm well aware that the season isn't over yet. The Cubs could go all the way and the Sox could fall apart. All I'm saying that this is a great moment because so many Cub fans have been shooting their mouths off since April as if they've already won the pennant.
Are'nt they selling tee shirts up there that say
Cubs 2008 World Series Champions?

BainesHOF
07-27-2008, 06:22 PM
All I'm saying that this is a great moment because so many Cub fans have been shooting their mouths off since April as if they've already won the pennant.

Yes. The arrogance of Cubs fans this year has been astounding, as has been the Kool Aid reporting of the Chicago media. It was laughable the way so many people were predicting the Cubs were going to win the division in a blowout of 10 or more games.

Those who bleed Cubbie blue are receiving an overdue reality check. The 2008 Cubs are a pretty good team, but nothing more than that.

Frontman
07-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes. The arrogance of Cubs fans this year has been astounding, as has been the Kool Aid reporting of the Chicago media. It was laughable the way so many people were predicting the Cubs were going to win the division in a blowout of 10 or more games.

Those who bleed Cubbie blue are receiving an overdue reality check. The 2008 Cubs are a pretty good team, but nothing more than that.

They are a pretty good team that possibly could win in October. They (as well as the rest of the league) hasn't gotten there yet. Yeah, the "world champion" t-shirts, the "dis is our year," the "they are the team to beat" etc talk was getting shoved down the viewers throats (and still is. There was more made of the Cubs loss yesterday than the Sox come from behind win the day before)

So even if its for 48 hours, I'm glad to see that someone has pulled into solid contention with them just to shut up the braggarts. I didn't brag until it was over. Even a co-worker, who is a Cubs fan; asked me after game 3 of the series if I was excited yet.

I told him, "No until Bobby takes the mound in the 9th for the deciding game will I allow myself to get excited." And I didn't fully believe until the phrase

"over the head of Jenks...." came from Joe Buck's mouth did I believe it could happen.

turners56
07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Our stay atop Chicago was a short one...:(.

Cubs are now one game better now with that win against the Marlins...

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
"Jeff Samardjiza is the biggest thing in Chicago since Jordan wore a Bulls uniform." I swear to God that the BBTN host just said this while doing the Cubs-Marlins highlights.

Bill Naharodny
07-27-2008, 07:13 PM
"Jeff Samardjiza is the biggest thing in Chicago since Jordan wore a Bulls uniform." I swear to God that the BBTN host just said this while doing the Cubs-Marlins highlights.

This has been 2 years in the making. Ever since they drafted him, the media has been jumping up and down about the Notre Dame guy.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Once again 2005 never happened.

Soxman219
07-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Are you friggin' serious? What a joke!

The Chicago media keep shoving that down our throats. In March, I was driving down the Edens and heard on the radio about the 2008 World Series Champion Chicago Cubs, Get Your Tickets Now! Sports talk hosts all across town were predicting the Cubs rotation for the playoffs. Bores keeps saying the Cubs will make the World Series. I'm tellin you this Cubmania bias is at an all-time high this year. They think because it's the 100 year anniversary they are entitled to win it all.

I'll tell you what I enjoyed the short time the Brewers were in first and I will enjoy it more when the Brewers sweep the Flubs this week.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-27-2008, 08:14 PM
This has been 2 years in the making. Ever since they drafted him, the media has been jumping up and down about the Notre Dame guy.

If Samardjiza did not exist it would be necessary for the confluence of Domer-Flubs jackass fans to invent him.

Cuck the Fubs
07-27-2008, 10:09 PM

So after 2 games in the bigs, the media is putting him in Cooperstown eh?

Please:rolleyes:

Iwritecode
07-28-2008, 12:40 PM

No, I think they say '08 World Series Champions'.

Which, is technically true if you put 19 in front of it...

DSpivack
07-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Once again 2005 never happened.

Some local gridiron representative made their title game, as well.

rookie
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I was at a 7-11 the other day and at the register they were selling Cubs cds with baseball music to "celebrate the 100-year anniversary."

Who celebrates that?

turners56
07-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I was at a 7-11 the other day and at the register they were selling Cubs cds with baseball music to "celebrate the 100-year anniversary."

Who celebrates that?

And this is why fans of other teams think of the Cubs as a team that deliberately WANTS to lose.

TDog
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Who celebrates that?

The Cubs are the first team to so celebrate such an anniversary. But they have only been playing the World Series for 105 years. No other team has had the opportunity. I would like to see if the Indians celebrate such an anniversary if another 40 years. I hope they have the opportunity in any case. Then in another decade there would be the Cubs' sesquicentennial.

It isn't just Cubs fans acting like it's a foregone conclusion that they will win the World Series. I was listening to an A's game, and Saturday, and the announcers were talking about Ziegler breaking the century-plus-old record for scoreless innings at the beginning of a career. One of them said something to the effect of, "Well, the Cubs waited 100 years to win the World Series."

There is an excellent chance they could wait longer.

I'm just glad the White Sox don't have that century thing creeping up on them.

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM

Forget this. Have you heard the Cubs commercials on The Score?! One of them is called, "Carlos Zambrano on winning the World Series." He goes on to talk about how, if the Cubs won it all, he wouldn't head back to Venezuela a couple days after the season ends like he normally does. Instead, he'd stay the entire winter in Chicago so he could constantly run into fans who'd be congratulating and thanking him for the accomplishment of winning a World Series, and how he'd just love to be around the fans all winter. Isn't this putting the cart before the horse just a bit?!

And while we're at it, what the hell is with the Sox's flagship station running this steaming pile of crap? :scratch: This is not what I want to hear on the station that broadcasts (at least) 162 Sox games. :rolleyes: I'm not usually one to bring this kind of stuff up, but seriously....

#1swisher
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
So after 2 games in the bigs, the media is putting him in Cooperstown eh?

Please:rolleyes:

the Reader on the front page 3 weeks ago
Soto as the rookie of the century:scratch:

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I knew it, too. I knew it not because Bartman touched the ball. I knew it because Moisture threw down his glove and yelled at the fans. I knew it because Prior was on the mound yelling at the fans in LF.

That routine foul ball got in their heads and they lost their control of the game at that moment. To stay in the game, Moisture, a veteran player, should have walked back to his position in LF as if nothing had happened. Someone should have gone to the mound to tell the young Mark Prior to forget about it and keep pitching. But noooo.......a circus ensued following that play and the Cub players were already very tensed up from the pressure of losing a three game to one lead they just fell apart and started playing like Little Leaguers at that point.

Moisture! I love it....:rolling:

all*star quentin
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
[quote=DumpJerry;1978532]I knew it, too. I knew it not because Bartman touched the ball. I knew it because Moisture threw down his glove and yelled at the fans. I knew it because Prior was on the mound yelling at the fans in LF.

I knew it too...because "they are who we think the are"

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM

The funny thing is that he grew up a White Sox fan in Valpo. Hell, he wore his Sox WS hat when they interviewed him on NBC all the time.

He seems to have a good arm, but that funky motion does not bode well for durability.

TDog
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Jermaine Dye will need at least two or three more winning hits in clinching World Series games to approach the thrill of this guy (whose name I don't want to attempt to spell) striking out a batter.

PatK
07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
If you think the press is bad about this guy, try living in NW Indiana.

He's practically been a front page article every day since he's been called up.

Cuck the Fubs
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
If you think the press is bad about this guy, try living in NW Indiana.

He's practically been a front page article every day since he's been called up.

I'd be thrilled if he was in Bears camp given our current WR situation.

Annointing the guy a god after 3 games is a bit overboard I'd say.

Time will tell.......

Woofer
07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I know that many here hate the Flubsessed, but I do find it very irritating how the Cubs are constantly jammed down our throats. Compare the press that Carlos Quentin has received this year. He is an afterthought to the Chicago and National media, and has been the MVP of the Sox this year. (Maybe co-Mvp with JD) Now look at the media coverage of the years that Smarijilzilla, Soto, and Fukodome have had. The Cubbie love this Nation has is distgusting to me as a White Sox fan. I had to turn off the Hall of Fame induction of one of our own, Goose Gossage, because of the Cub pandering that was going on. (If you didn't see it, Johnny Bench did a horrible Harry Caray impression, Ernie Banks asked Bud Selig to be put on the Cubs World Series roster this year, and than sang the 7th inning stretch complete with Root,Root Root for the Cubbies line inserted.) :angry:
It also really annoys me how much time The Score 670 devotes to the Cubs. I know that the station is devoted to only Chicago sports, I know that to WGN radio, the White Sox do not exist.
Well, sorry everyone if I am Flubsessed, I just really needed to vent on this one.
:smile: