PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede Situation

october23sp
07-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Is his time in Chicago over? I don't mean being traded I mean at seasons end is he done? I am ready to see him go, another player whose 05 heroics will not be forgotten but he is really not of any value to us.

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Is his time in Chicago over? I don't mean being traded I mean at season's end is he done? I am ready to see him go, another player whose 05 heroics will not be forgotten but he is really not of any value to us.
Except for the fact that the Sox really don't have a third baseman to replace him. Small point.

guillen4life13
07-27-2008, 02:30 AM
His value is pretty low right now.

Who's scheduled to be a FA this coming offseason? Find somebody on the market--Figgins or somebody like that. I also really think that there's just no place for Fields on this team and he should be traded. His ideal position is DH, and that position is likely full next year, and the year after either Paulie or JD are going to take it.

See if Kenny can find a diamond in the rough (like he found Quentin). Maybe even sign Rocco Baldelli to an incentive laiden contract since it's doubtful he'll find many suitors. The Rays declined their 2009 option on him so he will likely be an FA. He's still young and is reportedly on some medication that does a lot to keep his medical condition in check.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2008, 02:40 AM
The FA market is terrible at 3B this coming year.

I think given his injury history, Joe will jump on the one team that offers him a long-term deal....and you know there will be one team to do this....and it won't be us.

TDog
07-27-2008, 03:06 AM
... His ideal position is DH, and that position is likely full next year, and the year after either Paulie or JD are going to take it.

Joe Crede is primarily a third baseman and secondarily a hitter. Joe Crede is no more a DH than Brian Anderson is a DH. Joe Crede also is the only third baseman the White Sox have who can actually play third base. Josh Fields, on the other hand, seems incapable of playing third base or hitting to a major league standard.

If the White Sox are to be successful this season, they will need Joe Crede, unless they work a trade for a capable third baseman, as they did at the end of August 1983, picking up the original A-Rod, Aurelio Rodriguez, at the end of his career.

Joe Crede has value to the Sox for rest of this year as a third baseman. I have no idea what the White Sox will do at the position next year, but his free agent value will be as a third baseman.

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2008, 03:19 AM
Joe Crede is primarily a third baseman and secondarily a hitter. Joe Crede is no more a DH than Brian Anderson is a DH.Go back and re-read the post you are responding to. He was referring to Fields as being a DH, not Crede.

TDog
07-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Go back and re-read the post you are responding to. He was referring to Fields as being a DH, not Crede.

I should have diagrammed the sentence to trace the antecedent to the pronoun. It's late, I guess.

I should have responded to the post by writing that any major league team with Josh Fields as a DH is in a world of hurt. I hope the White Sox are never in such bad shape that they would DH Fields. But I had hoped White Sox fortunes would never be so desperate that I would see Fields at third base.

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2008, 03:52 AM
...I should have responded to the post by writing that any major league team with Josh Fields as a DH is in a world of hurt. I hope the White Sox are never in such bad shape that they would DH Fields. But I had hoped White Sox fortunes would never be so desperate that I would see Fields at third base.I agree with both of those sentiments.

guillen4life13
07-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Hence me saying Fields doesn't have a place on this team. He's just not a rounded enough player, and I think that over the past year, Crede and Fields have both shown how a weak defender at the hot corner can affect games. At least Crede makes some really impressive plays every now and then.

Crede doesn't have a long term future here, and it hurts me to say this. I expect him to try and get a one year deal this coming off-season to showcase himself (hopefully with more successful results) so that he can get that long-term contract. I don't know what team would do a long term deal with him and Boras. This season his hitting has been mediocre, and his fielding has been nothing close to the standard he has set for himself. He's going to have to show that this is an aberration.

Realistically, how long should we expect Beckham to need in the minors? Is he a possible mid-season or roster expansion call-up next season, with the prospects of competing for a job on the opening day roster in 2010? That's my impression...

Hopefully he can come up and take over there, with one of Richar/Getz at 2B and TCM at SS. 1B would be Swisher or Konerko. Find a real CF. We know KW can do it.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Joes days in Chicago are numbered. If any team signs him it will be a conditional contract like Ordonez got from the Tigers. Boras is probably kicking himself in the behind for not negotiating with the Sox in the spring.
Josh Fields days may also be numbered unless he shows enough while Crede is on DL. So far he has'nt.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-27-2008, 11:11 AM
The only way I see Crede returning is if he is unable to come back this year, and the Sox are the only team to give him a short-term contract for 2009. But, by all accounts, Crede should return to the lineup shortly.

So, yes, Crede will likely be gone. I give it a 10% chance he would return, only because he wanted to and told Boras to get a deal done with the Sox. (Okay, maybe it's a 1% chance.)