View Full Version : *Official* "Oh, yeah!" 7/26/08 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 09:11 PM
:winner

Discuss.

lzerante
07-26-2008, 09:12 PM
SOX WIN!

Bobby closes it out. For all those who had to endure detroit's home announcers on the mlbtv, I feel your pain. Lets start the discussion.

What about those uniforms?

Bring out the brooms, tommorow lets go JAVI. :bandance:

LZ

jabrch
Oh Yeah? That's the best you got?

gobears1987
A series win at Detroit is always good. I think this series will kill the Tigers.

sox1970
07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Vazquez needs to nail the coffin shut tomorrow.

rustysurf83
07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Nice Win by the Sox! Hopefully Javy and put it together tommorrow and we can sweep this team. I think a sweep can completely demoralize Detroit and effectively end their season.

Brian26
07-26-2008, 09:14 PM
We got a team this year.

Carolina Kenny
Dotel and Jenks are not chopped liver.

Onwards towards a sweep of the Tiggers.

JB98

Agreed.

We've got 'em down. Let's demoralize them completely with another win tomorrow.

KyWhiSoxFan
That was a good win. The Sox only scored in two innings, and could not hit the Detroit relievers, but the pen got the job done. Good outingsby Danks, Dotel, and Jenks.

Flight #24
07-26-2008, 09:16 PM
When you're in the position they were in to start the series, on a roll and with a shot to come back, 2 of these kind of losses can crush a team. Hopefully they roll over for the sweep tomorrow, that wouldn't surprise me given their expectations pre-season, start to the season, and the way things have gone of late and this weekend. They needed to pick one of the 2 first games to keep hope alive IMO.

Of course there's still a lot of time, but having a chance to be 7-9 out in the looss column is far far different from when they started the series thinking 3-4 out by Monday and continuing their roll. Now it's "even after all that, we're still ****ing ~8 out".

Now the Twins, those guys are a different story, we'll have to take care of them H2H starting Monday!

hawkjt
07-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Bad Bobby...Bump Bully!!!!

The Tigers would kill to have Bobby.
I thank the good lord he fell into out laps about 45 times a year.
He just happens to have the stones for the job...not everyone does.
What a series so far. Tomorrow we need to get into that bullpen early again..Javy, time for you to come thru like a vet.

Jason82807
07-26-2008, 09:17 PM
We now have the best record in Chicago:bandance:

Shoeless_Jim
07-26-2008, 09:17 PM
got home just in time to see Danks come out but saw the highlights

Scored 7 runs.

Save by Bobby.

Solid win.

Sweep tomorrow.:bandance:

...thought they made the Detroit bullpen look much better than they really are. Oh well... way to score 7 off Verlander

p.s. nice outing by Carmona...

btrain929
07-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh Yeah? That's the best you got?

That was going to be my first post before I even read anything.

thomas35forever
Woo! Nice win to keep the Tigers down! We're sending a message to Detroit that this is not their year! It should be game over for them if we beat them in the next series too.

Harry Potter
Not that I'm Flubsessed or anything, but after tonight:
Sox 59-43 .578
Cubs 60-44 .577
:cool:

Hell of game, especially pitching out of trouble in 8th and 9th.

MERCY!

Boondock Saint
I was worried about the Sox going into this road trip, and I still am(a bit), but at least we're doing a great job putting the Tigers far back in the rear-view mirror for the time being. Finish the job tomorrow, take care of the twinkies and Royals, and let's put this division on notice. We aren't going anywhere.

White City
07-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Sox have the best record in Chicago!

veeter
07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Excellent. Going to Sarasota for a week, talk to you all when I get back. Hopefully the trip will have gone well. But I think it will.

Rdy2PlayBall
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6760/quentinhn6.gif
Got a little scary in the 3 innings! :o

hawkjt
The Sox have not broken thru the 16 game over barrier the last two times...third time is the charm,sox. Time to go to 17 tomorrow.

A. Cavatica
It is sure nice looking out at the defense behind Jenks and seeing Swisher at first and three (good!) shortstops at 3B, SS, and 2B.

Brian26
07-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Sox 59-43 .578
Cubs 60-44 .577

For that matter, the Sox now have a better record than any of the 16 teams in the National League.

jabrch
07-26-2008, 09:22 PM
A series win at Detroit is always good. I think this series will kill the Tigers.

I agree with your first point - winning a ROAD series vs Detroit is huge. I disagree that this will kill the Tigers. It is a very long 58 games. 7.5 is by no means insurmountable. We still have a game tomorrow in Detroit, then 6 more vs Detroit at USCF. That said, I like having them 7.5 back. I'm wondering if Dombrowski will decide at some point by the deadline to bail and go for next year.

october23sp
07-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Got a little scary in the 3 innings! :o

That is the FUNNIEST pic I have ever seen.

ANYONE know what year those jerseys were? I have looked through sox jersey history and I have never seen those hats.:scratch:

Brian26
07-26-2008, 09:24 PM
ANYONE know what year those jerseys were? I have looked through sox jersey history and I have never seen those hats.:scratch:

Negro League - Chicago American Giants. Didn't hear the year.

anewman35

They were Negro League uniforms, not Sox uniforms. I think somebody said 1926.

White City
Here's hoping Javy does his job tomorrow, so that the pen isn't taxed heading into the Hump Dump. We'll likely have to rely on Massett and Wasserman to protect a lead in the next few days, either way. Good chance for them to prove theirselves.

1908<2005
07-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Sox 59-43 .578
Cubs 60-44 .577

Hell of game, especially pitching out of trouble in 8th and 9th.

MERCY!
Woo! .001 lead!

Tragg
07-26-2008, 09:27 PM
The Sox have not broken thru the 16 game over barrier the last two times...third time is the charm,sox. Time to go to 17 tomorrow.
I thought 15 had been our high-mark. Well, let's make it tomorrow then.

ViPeRx007
07-26-2008, 09:28 PM

NBA Jam head! :tongue:

october23sp
07-26-2008, 09:28 PM
They were Negro League uniforms, not Sox uniforms. I think somebody said 1926.

Thanks I didn't catch the start of the game.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Got a little scary there towards the end, and I thought Danks pitched much better than his line will look tomorrow. Good win. Let's get the sweep tomorrow and then let's sweep Minnesota.

jabrch
07-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Detroit still smells.

sox1970
07-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Got a little scary there towards the end, and I thought Danks pitched much better than his line will look tomorrow. Good win. Let's get the sweep tomorrow and then let's sweep Minnesota.

If that happens, starting printing the tickets.

turners56
07-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Danks got screwed by the D in the 4th. He pitched well. Good win, but I felt really insecure in the late innings. Best team in Chicago baby! Wooo!

White City
07-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Dotel clearly has a closer's mentality. AGGRESSIVE outing by him. If he keeps his velocity and control, he will be a big asset down the stretch.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Danks got screwed by the D in the 4th. He pitched well. Good win, but I felt really insecure in the late innings. Best team in Chicago baby! Wooo!
Once Linebrink comes back I'll feel a lot better!

JB98
07-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Sox have the best record in Chicago!

Insignificant in the big picture, but humorous given the arrogance of the fans on the other side of town this year.

Vernam
07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Way to stomp 'em when they're down. Will be interesting to see what the Tigers show up with tomorrow. Vazquez v. Miner, a game we ought to win. Show some patience, make that scrub prove he can throw his breaking ball for strikes.

If not for the WP, I think someone would be saying Dotel looked Duque-esque tonight. :thumbsup:

So much for the gimmick uniform jinx. :gulp: Seeing Coop in that uni was an indelible image. :shocked:

Vernam

voodoochile
07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Didn't get to see the game - sister in town and no Internet access. Followed as best as possible on bottom line and was very happy to log in and see Bobby nailed it down for the second straight night. This puts us back to our high water mark of the season at 16 games over and fends off the thunderheads for another few days who were starting to gather after the Sox had the audacity to go 2-6 recently.

I know there has been talk about switching around the order recently, but any change that breaks up AJ, TCQ and JD is simply foolish, IMO. That's the 2-3-4 that has been effect ever since the Sox took off in late mid-May. Cabrera's been in a bit of a slump recently, but barring a blockbuster trade he should stay leading off too.

One game at a time, one inning at a time, one at bat at a time. It's how you pile up wins...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: . :bandance:

:)

TDog
07-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Vazquez needs to go deep into Sunday's game, probably more than the Tigers need Miner to go deep. Ideally, the Sox shouldn't have to go to Jenks or Dotel before going into the Metrodome for a four-game set. It looks like Joe Nathan will be well-rested going into the series.

I would have liked to have seen Danks go seven tonight. Really, the Sox could use a couple complete games, but Danks has never pitched a complete game in his professional career.

Still, it was a great game. It looked like Guillen got as much as he could have out of Danks. Quentin and Dye each are having seasons worthy of MVP consideration and came up big again tonight. the Sox didn't get the big two-out hits with runners in scoring position, but people won't complain so much because Konerko wasn't in the lineup.

The Tigers were on such a roll coming into the series. Their fans probably expected to roll over the Sox. Indeed, the Tigers could have won both games but lost Friday because of their bullpen and lost tonight because their starter gave up too many runs. But they lost both, and they are just one game over .500 again -- just when so many were screaming about the Tigers storming back in the race.

I like the Sox chances to complete the sweep Sunday. A sweep would be a huge. But it won't be easy.

Boondock Saint
07-26-2008, 09:43 PM
I know there has been talk about switching around the order recently, but any change that breaks up AJ, TCQ and JD is simply foolish, IMO. That's the 2-3-4 that has been effect ever since the Sox took off in late mid-May.

I agree 100%. That move has turned our offense around. We might not be where we want to be offensively, but we're light years ahead of where we were at the start of the season.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Vazquez needs to go deep into Sunday's game, probably more than the Tigers need Miner to go deep. Ideally, the Sox shouldn't have to go to Jenks or Dotel before going into the Metrodome for a four-game set. It looks like Joe Nathan will be well-rested going into the series.

I would have liked to have seen Danks go seven tonight. Really, the Sox could use a couple complete games, but Danks has never pitched a complete game in his professional career.

Still, it was a great game. It looked like Guillen got as much as he could have out of Danks. Quentin and Dye each are having seasons worthy of MVP consideration and came up big again tonight. the Sox didn't get the big two-out hits with runners in scoring position, but people won't complain so much because Konerko wasn't in the lineup.

The Tigers were on such a roll coming into the series. Their fans probably expected to roll over the Sox. Indeed, the Tigers could have won both games but lost Friday because of their bullpen and lost tonight because their starter gave up too many runs. But they lost both, and they are just one game over .500 again -- just when so many were screaming about the Tigers storming back in the race.

I like the Sox chances to complete the sweep Sunday. A sweep would be a huge. But it won't be easy.
It never is!

KyWhiSoxFan
07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Once Linebrink comes back I'll feel a lot better!

They really miss his stability and experience. He settles everyone down. It is no coincidence that the bullpen has allowed a run in 11 straight games now. That needs to stop.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2008, 09:48 PM
This crucial road trip is off to a fabulous start.

Lip

SoxGirl4Life
07-26-2008, 09:48 PM
On a side note, did they mention how long Quentin's HR was?

jabrch
07-26-2008, 09:50 PM
This crucial road trip is off to a fabulous start.

Lip

I don't recall hearing that much joy and optimism from you since October of 2005! :D:

johnnyg83
07-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Where the heck would we be with TCQ ... I know Carter's having a nice year for AZ in the minors ... but damn who would you rather have there right now? Hamilton? ARod? Manny Ramirez? Three months ago it's sick to make that comparison, but it ain't unjustified today. WAAA!

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Where the heck would we be with TCQ ... I know Carter's having a nice year for AZ in the minors ... but damn who would you rather have there right now? Hamilton? ARod? Manny Ramirez? Three months ago it's sick to make that comparison, but it ain't unjustified today. WAAA!
Wasn't Carter part of the Haren trade?

Vernam
07-26-2008, 09:52 PM
The Tigers were on such a roll coming into the series. Their fans probably expected to roll over the Sox. That was one of the best things about these two games -- how a packed house turned on their team, especially yesterday (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/SPORTS02/807260385/&imw=Y). In 48 hours, they've gone from "hottest team in the league" to life support.

Vernam

asindc
07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Didn't get to see the game - sister in town and no Internet access. Followed as best as possible on bottom line and was very happy to log in and see Bobby nailed it down for the second straight night. This puts us back to our high water mark of the season at 16 games over and fends off the thunderheads for another few days who were starting to gather after the Sox had the audacity to go 2-6 recently.

I know there has been talk about switching around the order recently, but any change that breaks up AJ, TCQ and JD is simply foolish, IMO. That's the 2-3-4 that has been effect ever since the Sox took off in late mid-May. Cabrera's been in a bit of a slump recently, but barring a blockbuster trade he should stay leading off too.

One game at a time, one inning at a time, one at bat at a time. It's how you pile up wins...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: . :bandance:

:)

But Ozzie doesn't know what he's doing!

What I like best about this recent stretch of games is that the Sox are bringing, at best, their B game to the park these days and they are still getting it done in different ways. As long as the Sox get through these stretch of injuries playing .500, I'm good with it. I'm confident that the Sox will finish strong with everyone healthy.

Railsplitter
07-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I can't see or hear Oh, yeah" without thinking of the KooL-Aid man.
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Vernam
On a side note, did they mention how long Quentin's HR was?If they did, I missed it. But I loved how TCQ tomahawked that ball after popping foul an identical pitch in his first at-bat. In the first inning, you could see he was pissed that he missed it. Verlander would have been smart not to give him a second chance at it.

Vernam

johnnyg83
Wasn't Carter part of the Haren trade?
sorry .. yes he was ...

Boondock Saint
07-26-2008, 10:01 PM
That was one of the best things about these two games -- how a packed house turned on their team, especially yesterday (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/SPORTS02/807260385/&imw=Y). In 48 hours, they've gone from "hottest team in the league" to life support.

Vernam

Wow...if I hadn't read it myself, I never would have guessed that article had come from Detroit. That article actually painted the Sox as a great team and Alexei as a great player, instead of the standard "overachieving" fare.

PeteWard
07-26-2008, 10:08 PM
If they did, I missed it. But I loved how TCQ tomahawked that ball after popping foul an identical pitch in his first at-bat. In the first inning, you could see he was pissed that he missed it. Verlander would have been smart not to give him a second chance at it.

Vernam

He looks so intimidating out there doesn't he?

Glad he is on our side! :bandance:

PeteWard
07-26-2008, 10:13 PM
One thing overlooked: In the 8th Wise did an incredible job cutting off Ordonez's lead off double and saving a triple. That would have changed Detroit's approach completely with a sac fly or a ground ball RBI as a big possibility.

ArkanSox
07-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Did Hawk say that today's was the largest crowd in Tiger history?

Great job by the Sox to blast Verlander in that atmosphere. The back to back bombs by TCQ and JD sure set the tone. Get out the brooms, boys.

PeteWard
07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Did Hawk say that today's was the largest crowd in Tiger history?

Great job by the Sox to blast Verlander in that atmosphere. The back to back bombs by TCQ and JD sure set the tone. Get out the brooms, boys.

Yes. Did they add seats after their World Series?

FielderJones
07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
One thing overlooked: In the 8th Wise did an incredible job cutting off Ordonez's lead off double and saving a triple. That would have changed Detroit's approach completely with a sac fly or a ground ball RBI as a big possibility.

BA would have caught it for an out. :wink:

johnnyg83
07-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I hereby declare TCQ is an official SUPERSTAR. And Alexei is damn close.

When was the last time we had one? Thomas/Ventura/Fernandez/McDowell in the early-mid 90s? Fisk/Kittle in the 80s? Melton/Allen in the 70S?

Yes, I been drinkin but I cannot remember all this young talent on one team out of nowhere !!

EuroSox35
07-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Mercy!

TDog
07-26-2008, 10:47 PM
When you're in the position they were in to start the series, on a roll and with a shot to come back, 2 of these kind of losses can crush a team. Hopefully they roll over for the sweep tomorrow, that wouldn't surprise me given their expectations pre-season, start to the season, and the way things have gone of late and this weekend. They needed to pick one of the 2 first games to keep hope alive IMO.

Of course there's still a lot of time, but having a chance to be 7-9 out in the looss column is far far different from when they started the series thinking 3-4 out by Monday and continuing their roll. Now it's "even after all that, we're still ****ing ~8 out".

Now the Twins, those guys are a different story, we'll have to take care of them H2H starting Monday!

There is a lot of time. I've seen a lot of baseball dreams die in August and September. Growing up in the Chicago area, I didn't have as many chances
to see my team's dreams die in October, but those memories are vivid in their uniqueness.

I am excited about these wins on the road. There is a lot of season left, but I'm excited. When the Twins came to Chicago and the Indians (when they were in the race and some still believed they were the team to beat) came to Chicago in a position to close the lead, the White Sox swept them. Those series were huge. This weekend has been huge on the road for the White Sox. For the Tigers at home, not so much.

johnnyg83
07-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Four years ago, I would have anticipated the dive ... four years ago I would not have believed it was possible ... so many great first halves that resulted in nothing ... and of course we still may lose it .. but I don't NOT believe anymore. When I was a kid the World Series was for the Reds and Yankess and Dodgers. Not anymore. We can win. When that groundball went thru Tony G's legs ... that was a game we always used to lose .. not anymore ...

I believe.

WE can win. We're just as good as every other team ... probably better than 27 out of 30 of them.

I believe.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2008, 11:50 PM

The nice thing about this is that both of the remaining series are at home. I really don't think we'll have any problems winning at least 4 of those 6, as long as the pitching keeps their hitting at bay.

Hopefully Javvy has his "A" game tomorrow! Miner's gotta be nervous right now.

Oldfellah
07-27-2008, 12:03 AM
This team has given me smiles after smiles.... GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance::bandance:

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Did Hawk say that today's was the largest crowd in Tiger history?I don't know what Hawk said; I had to watch the Tigers' feed on Extra Innings, but the Tigers' announcers said it was the largest crowd in Comerica Park history, which is different than in Tigers' history.

KnightSox
07-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Do not forget yesterday and todays win the next time we drop four straight.

RadioheadRocks
07-27-2008, 01:11 AM
I can't see or hear Oh, yeah" without thinking of the KooL-Aid man.
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

I heard that Yello song from Ferris Bueller's Day Off when I saw the thread title.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2008, 04:54 AM
I don't know what Hawk said; I had to watch the Tigers' feed on Extra Innings, but the Tigers' announcers said it was the largest crowd in Comerica Park history, which is different than in Tigers' history.
You are right, before Tiger Stadium ( Briggs Stadium)had a refit they could sqeeze 56,000 in there.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2008, 04:55 AM
We now have the best record in Chicago:bandance:
I love it!!!

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Way too early to bury them, but its a good start. If we win Sunday the Tigers could be in critical condition.

Mohoney
07-27-2008, 07:01 AM
We're 5-3 since the break while not playing all that well. That has to be encouraging to everybody on the team.

Let's have a nice errorless, well-pitched game Sunday, complete the sweep, and get back on track for the Twins series. We can't play sloppy in that place.

SBSoxFan
07-27-2008, 07:29 AM
For that matter, the Sox now have a better record than any of the 16 teams in the National League.

Had we been told, before the season started, that the Sox would have the third best record in baseball on July 27, how many people here would have said: "Yeah, probably behind Detroit and Cleveland." :tongue:

jabrch
07-27-2008, 08:33 AM

That's too much to ask for. Too many of our "fans" are too damn ignorant of the game to understand the ebb and flow of a baseball season - or just can't help pissing down their leg every time we have a bad day or two in a row.

asindc
07-27-2008, 08:47 AM

Thank you for saying that. IF we can sweep today and at least split in Minny, then I think we are in excellent shape for the remainder of the season. It's good that the the team is weathering this recent run of injuries with some gut-check victories. Lovin' it!

Brian26
07-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Cabrera's been in a bit of a slump recently, but barring a blockbuster trade he should stay leading off too.

Cabrera's been playing some smart baseball lately, especially on the base paths. He single-handidly tied the game up on Friday night with his hustle by going to 2nd on AJ's sac fly and then stealing 3rd (and forcing I-Rod to make a rushed throw that went into LF).

Noneck
07-27-2008, 08:52 AM
As long as that 4 straight doesn't start on monday.

Shoeless_Jim
07-27-2008, 09:01 AM
On a side note, did they mention how long Quentin's HR was?
632 Ft.

oeo
07-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Thank you for saying that. IF we can sweep today and at least split in Minny, then I think we are in excellent shape for the remainder of the season. It's good that the the team is weathering this recent run of injuries with some gut-check victories. Lovin' it!

I think we're getting a little out of hand. Good shape? You're always in good shape when you're in first place. But 3.5 games with ~50 games to go? Meh...that's a lot of baseball still to be played, and not a whole lot of breathing room.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-27-2008, 09:22 AM
I think we're getting a little out of hand. Good shape? You're always in good shape when you're in first place. But 3.5 games with ~50 games to go? Meh...that's a lot of baseball still to be played, and not a whole lot of breathing room.

And they have absolutely no breathing room the way they have been pitching the last three weeks. They're winning with their hitting. Few people would have believed that the way the team was struggling to score runs earlier this year.

The pitching needs to get back on track, ASAP, Javy in particular. He can start today with a good, quality outing.

SquirrelNutz
07-27-2008, 09:28 AM
And they have absolutely no breathing room the way they have been pitching the last three weeks. They're winning with their hitting. Few people would have believed that the way the team was struggling to score runs earlier this year.

The pitching needs to get back on track, ASAP, Javy in particular. He can start today with a good, quality outing.

No doubt about it ... Javy needs to come up BIG today ... competing like the rest of the team.

asindc
07-27-2008, 10:02 AM

I am speaking to the fact they are winning without their A game and beating their nearest competitors doing so. I'm under no illusion that this will settle things at this point, which is why I didn't say so. I'm merely pointing out that a sweep of Det. and at least a split with Minny will firmly put the Sox in control of their own destiny with two months to go. Minny and Detroit will seriously have to chase from this point on.

At this point, every game taken off the schedule means more, of course.

whitesox901
07-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Nice game, I am a little concerned, this is Danks second not so good start and Masset, Logan have ERA"s above 4.00, Im not ready to hit the panic button, but I am a little weary

Second-Half Slide 5-3