PDA

View Full Version : Rangers crushed Duchscherer today.

White City
07-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I hope we aren't trading for him regardless, but I'm sure I am not the only one that suspects he might peter out in the final two months of the season after his hot start.

Sockinchisox
07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow gave up 8 ER and his ERA is still 2.37.

Madvora
07-26-2008, 06:35 PM
I hope we aren't trading for him regardless, but I'm sure I am not the only one that suspects he might peter out in the final two months of the season after his hot start.
What reason would you have to not want a guy with the best ERA in baseball? I don't know much about the guy. Is he really suspected to not have stamina, or are you just thinking this is possible?

turners56
07-26-2008, 06:37 PM

It was bound to happen. He's a fly ball pitcher who gets hit hard. He relies on that park in Oakland and his outfielders a lot. Don't you remember us tattooing balls off of him? Too bad they were right at people...

White City
07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
What reason would you have to not want a guy with the best ERA in baseball? I don't know much about the guy. Is he really suspected to not have stamina, or are you just thinking this is possible?

As turners56 suggests, he seems to be at least partially a product of that stadium in Oakland. Also, I wouldn't trust him if Beane was willing to trade him at this point, unless we gave up something massive -- which I don't want to see. Finally, I'd prefer we went after someone with a longer track record.

fquaye149
07-26-2008, 07:44 PM

He's started 5 games in his career prior to 2008. He's pitched more than 100 IP in his career 0 times prior to 2008.

His k/bb are excellent as are his ERA and WHIP, but his BABIP and k/9 suggest that he's closer to a 3.00 ERA, 1.25 WHIP pitcher than what he's at now.

Further a guy who's never pitched as many innings as he has is not a good guy to hope will put you on his back down the stretch.

That said, he is a quality (if not as sensational as his numbers look) arm who would certainly bolster a rotation that has a gaping hole in the Contreras spot.