PDA

View Full Version : 7/26 Cubs Game

TomC727
07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Is anyone watching this game. The first base coach just got tossed from the game for the cubs and WGN won't show it but I noticed the grounds crew in the outfield. I think they are picking up garbage thrown by the fans.

Anyone watching the Marlins telecast to clarify?

btrain929
07-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm watching the Chicago broadcast. I thought he was out, even though it was close. The 1st base coach is the real idiot out of all of this. If he just stands there and keeps his mouth shut, Lou doesn't come out. The way the 1B coach acted, you would have thought DeRosa beat it by 2 steps.

Another reason why you don't slide into 1st, kids. You're never going to get a close call that way.

The umpire that kicked both of them out is the same guy that booted Ozzie a few days ago. He definitely has a quick trigger and loves to run his mouth, but that 1B coach was way out of line AND he bumped the ump too.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:08 PM
The umpire got the call right too.

Lou erurpted, wouldn't leave the field and at one point, when pointing at another umpire, made contact with an ump. After going into the dugout, he came back out. This has to be a suspension....it sure as hell would be if it were Ozzie.

btrain929
07-26-2008, 04:09 PM
The umpire got the call right too.

Lou erurpted, wouldn't leave the field and at one point, when pointing at another umpire, made contact with an ump. After going into the dugout, he came back out. This has to be a suspension....it sure as hell would be if it were Ozzie.

1B coach bumped the 1B ump, and Lou bumped the ump that was holding him back. I agree, fines/suspensions for both.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm watching the Chicago broadcast. I thought he was out, even though it was close. The 1st base coach is the real idiot out of all of this. If he just stands there and keeps his mouth shut, Lou doesn't come out. The way the 1B coach acted, you would have thought DeRosa beat it by 2 steps.

Another reason why you don't slide into 1st, kids. You're never going to get a close call that way.

The umpire that kicked both of them out is the same guy that booted Ozzie a few days ago. He definitely has a quick trigger and loves to run his mouth, but that 1B coach was way out of line AND he bumped the ump too.

The same umpire also ejected Lou in the third game of the crosstown series at USCF. I thought it was a bang-bang play but DeRosa appeared out. Matt Sinatro precipitated the whole thing reacting the way he did.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I never understood why Cubs fans would disrespect their own field that much. I just saw a water bottle laying out on the warning track that they must have missed.

btrain929
07-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I never understood why Cubs fans would disrespect their own field that much.

...because it's a prerequisite in order to be a Cubs fan.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM
They're booing Dan Uggla now....probably for his ASG performance that ultimately had no impact on the game.

JermaineDye05
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM
The same umpire also ejected Lou in the third game of the crosstown series at USCF. I thought it was a bang-bang play but DeRosa appeared out. Matt Sinatro precipitated the whole thing reacting the way he did.

That would be the same ump who tossed Ozzie in the Texas series. These guys are having a rough year, although it sounds like they got this play right.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I never understood why Cubs fans would disrespect their own field that much. I just saw a water bottle laying out on the warning track that they must have missed.

I say that every time any team's fan does that, whether it's the Cubs or us or someone else, a fine be levied against that team by MLB.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
That would be the same ump who tossed Ozzie in the Texas series. These guys are having a rough year, although it sounds like they got this play right.

They are also working the game with a 3 man crew because the home ump had to leave after getting hit in the head...definitely not easy.

btrain929
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
On a side note, why are the Cub fans booing Dan Uggla everytime he comes to the plate? Are they already pinning their next excuse for not winning a world series in 100 years on Dan Uggla cuz he sucked at the All Star game costing the NL the game and home field advantage? It seems like a stretch, but you can't put anything past Cub fans.

TomC727
07-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I am shocked that WGN didn't show the fans throwing garbage onto the field.

Edit: Sorry about that.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 04:16 PM

I'm shocked you do not know what teal is.

:tealtutor:

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
On a side note, why are the Cub fans booing Dan Uggla everytime he comes to the plate? Are they already pinning their next excuse for not winning a world series in 100 years on Dan Uggla cuz he sucked at the All Star game costing the NL the game and home field advantage? It seems like a stretch, but you can't put anything past Cub fans.

They discussed this Thursday and Brennley thought that was the case. Granted Uggla didn't touch the ball in the inning that the AL scored, but don't let facts get in the way....they still choose to blame Bartman over Alex Gonzalez for a reason that floors me.

whitesox901
07-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I didnt think Lou needed to come back outta the dugout after he was already halfway down the stairs

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I really wish the Sox played a 3 today....I've already watched 2 DVDs and now crappy Cubs baseball just trying to kill time.

Gavin
07-26-2008, 04:23 PM
It's the bottom of the 10th but I see no reason why they shouldn't replay that play on WGN at least 4 more times.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:24 PM
It's the bottom of the 10th but I see no reason why they shouldn't replay that play on WGN at least 4 more times.

They are treating it like the Zupruter Film.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 04:25 PM
They are treating it like the Zapruder Film.

Fixed.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Fixed.

That too :D:

Gavin
07-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Fixed.

Way to be the internet message board spelling and decorum hall monitor twice in the same thread.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Way to be the internet message board spelling and decorum hall monitor twice in the same thread.

Just helping out my fellow WSIers.

Gavin
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Will the Cubs hurry up and lose this game? I do think, in reality, Miller will give up a bomb.

Gavin
07-26-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm faster that guy after I finished doing wind sprints.

White City
07-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Will the Cubs hurry up and lose this game? I do think, in reality, Miller will give up a bomb.

If the Cubs lose and the White Sox win, then the lovable losers' record will be the second best in Chicago (by percentage points). I'm sure the Tribune will notice.

cleanwsox
07-26-2008, 04:46 PM
3-2 Marlins. Cantu RBI double.

Let's go Gregg.

thomas35forever
07-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Fish up 3-2.

soltrain21
07-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Rich Harden is the new Matt Clement for them.

turners56
07-26-2008, 04:50 PM
They discussed this Thursday and Brennley thought that was the case. Granted Uggla didn't touch the ball in the inning that the AL scored, but don't let facts get in the way....they still choose to blame Bartman over Alex Gonzalez for a reason that floors me.

Most Cubs fans = irrational.

turners56
07-26-2008, 04:51 PM
3-2 Marlins. Cantu RBI double.

Let's go Gregg.

Jorge Cantu and Jeremy Hermida strike again.

cleanwsox
Wow, that was an awesome play.

soltrain21
People say Hawk is a homer? Kasper sounded like his puppy got punched after Gregg just made a sweet play.

turners56
07-26-2008, 04:53 PM
People say Hawk is a homer? Kasper sounded like his puppy got punched after Gregg just made a sweet play.

The only difference between Len and Hawk is the fact that Len talks when the team gets pummeled. Hawk goes silent.

turners56
07-26-2008, 04:53 PM
1 out away. Now if only the Brewers can win tonight...

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2008, 04:54 PM
The only difference between Len and Hawk is the fact that Len talks when the team gets pummeled. Hawk goes silent.

Len also sounds like Kermit the Frog.

turners56
07-26-2008, 04:55 PM
I never knew Gregg can throw near 100.

thomas35forever
Ballgame.:smile:

turners56
Len also sounds like Kermit the Frog.

And a teenager whose voice is starting to crack.

turners56
07-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Ballgame.:smile:

Even though the Cubs are "awesome", they're only 0.5 a game better than the Sox playing in a inferior league.

cleanwsox
07-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I never knew Gregg can throw near 100.

Me either, was surprised to see 96 even.

veeter
07-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Len also sounds like Kermit the Frog.You know, I've been saying that for a while now, but I've changed my mind. I think he sounds more like Bert. (Bert/Ernie) If I only could hear him talk about his paperclip collection, I'd know for sure.

veeter
07-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Rich Harden is the new Matt Clement for them.Well, if he'd pitch past six innings maybe he would win a game or two.

White City
07-26-2008, 05:02 PM
If the Brewers and White Sox win tonight, then the Cubs will have given up their lead in the division AND fallen behind the Sox in record (by percentage points) on the same day. And it's not even August yet! Hendry better do another megadeal.

ZombieRob
07-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Anyone have the Cubs-Brewers pitching matchups? can't find them anywhere. looks like the Brewcrew will miss Harden.

VA_GoGoSox
07-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Is anyone watching this game. The first base coach just got tossed from the game for the cubs and WGN won't show it but I noticed the grounds crew in the outfield. I think they are picking up garbage thrown by the fans.

I watched the Marlins feed. They showed the grounds crew leaving the field through the gate in the left field corner. I don't know any other reason they would be out there than to pick up garbage.

The Marlins' announcers were pretty funny. A couple quotes:

After the close call at first: "Well, I'm sure in Ron Santo's eyes, he was safe all the way"

In the 12th: "This crowd has really quieted down" "Well, they haven't sold beer for about five innings now"

After Cantu's RBI: "Boy, this crowd was having a party all day, but right now you could hear a pin drop in this place"

Pretty entertaining ballgame.

oeo
07-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Anyone have the Cubs-Brewers pitching matchups? can't find them anywhere. looks like the Brewcrew will miss Harden.

Lilly-Sabathia
Zambozo-Sheets
Dumpster-Parra

PatK
07-26-2008, 05:09 PM
They're gonna need more that 5 innings out of Harden any time he pitches.

turners56
07-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I watched the Marlins feed. They showed the grounds crew leaving the field through the gate in the left field corner. I don't know any other reason they would be out there than to pick up garbage.

After the close call at first: "Well, I'm sure in Ron Santo's eyes, he was safe all the way"

In the 12th: "This crowd has really quieted down" "Well, they haven't sold beer for about five innings now"

After Cantu's RBI: "Boy, this crowd was having a party all day, but right now you could hear a pin drop in this place"

Lol at the Ron Santo one.

turners56
07-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Lilly-Sabathia
Zambozo-Sheets
Dumpster-Parra

It's a 4 game series.

Harden pitches in game 4 against McClung.

oeo
07-26-2008, 05:11 PM
It's a 4 game series.

The Cubs site didn't go any further than that.

ZombieRob
07-26-2008, 05:13 PM
It's a 4 game series.

If Harden pitched today woulnd't he be pitching on 3 days rest on the 4th game?

turners56
07-26-2008, 05:14 PM
If Harden pitched today woulnd't he be pitching on 3 days rest on the 4th game?

No, because this Marlins series is a 4 game series. He'll be going on the normal 4 days' rest.

ZombieRob
07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
No, because this Marlins series is a 4 game series. He'll be going on the normal 4 days' rest.
They have to be skipping Marquis it seems. Edit: your right.Blah working overnights has me thinking its sunday Marquis goes tomorrow.

turners56
07-26-2008, 05:19 PM
They have to be skipping Marquis it seems.

No, because Marquis is pitching tomorrow.

Frontman
07-26-2008, 05:22 PM

And runs near-silent when DJ is on the call.

Both of them have faces meant for radio though. With Hawk, you got the Star Wars Emperor thing going, and with Len you've got a blonde Ed Grimley who sounds like Marvin the Martian.

white sox bill
07-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Lol at the Ron Santo one.

ooohhhh nooooo!

KnightSox
07-26-2008, 05:25 PM
People say Hawk is a homer? Kasper sounded like his puppy got punched after Gregg just made a sweet play.I know Hawk is a homer, but I have always wondered why Santo who is ten times worse, gets a free pass.

Does TV/radio have something to do with it?

Frontman
07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I know Hawk is a homer, but I have always wondered why Santo who is ten times worse, gets a free pass.

I think its a number of things. One, Santo is handicapped (and I'm not saying that to be funny) and I think that defuses a lot of critique of him. Also, Pat Hughes covers over a lot of Santo's gaffs by quickly responding. Plus, Hawk comes across as a jerk. He might be our jerk, but I have a feeling he's a jerk in real life. Just seems that way that if he likes you, you'd be best buds. If he doesn't like you?

Forget about it.

turners56
07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I know Hawk is a homer, but I have always wondered why Santo who is ten times worse, gets a free pass.

I would think so. Most people watch the game obviously.

whitesox901
07-26-2008, 05:35 PM

lol good stuff :cool:

TDog
07-26-2008, 05:38 PM
They're gonna need more that 5 innings out of Harden any time he pitches.

I didn't watch the Cubs game today, as is my practice, and I don't know how Harden pitched. I just looked at the line. It doesn't really matter how well Harden pitches, how many batters he strikes out, if he only pitches five innings. I saw his game against the Giants, and left with a 7-0 lead in a game that went extra innings. Today he apparently left with a 2-1 lead in a game that went extra innings. In between, he lost a game on his own.

When people were talking about Harden being a match for Sabathia, I laughed out loud. Harden can be very good. But he is a fragile pitcher. If he is only going five innings to save his arm, he fits the role of a superior long reliever who needs a lot of rest. If you team is scoring for him, it might not matter (although it did in his debut against the Giants), but the Cubs are overusing their bullpen, and the bullpen pitched more innings today than the Cubs starter. They pitched almost as many innings as Harden in his first start.

Meanwhile, Sabathia has pitched four games for the Brewers -- pitching 36 innings and requiring 3 innings of work from the Brewers' overworked bullpen.

Lately, the Cubs don't look like a wild card team, let alone a division winner. When the deal came down, I believed they might be better off with Sean Gallagher.

Bill Naharodny
07-26-2008, 05:38 PM
It's a 4 game series.

I think that's actually Dave Bush, not McClung. For the Brewers's 5th spot, Bush pitches the home games and McClung pitches the away games.

KnightSox
07-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I think its a number of things. One, Santo is handicapped (and I'm not saying that to be funny) and I think that defuses a lot of critique of him. Also, Pat Hughes covers over a lot of Santo's gaffs by quickly responding. Plus, Hawk comes across as a jerk. He might be our jerk, but I have a feeling he's a jerk in real life. Just seems that way that if he likes you, you'd be best buds. If he doesn't like you?

Forget about it.Wasn't Santo a jerk too, or did the old heel clicker just piss off other players? I just don't get why his slobbering oh noos and whining is considered 'cute' by Cubs fans, while my scrub fan Father in law constantly bashes Hawk.

DrCrawdad
07-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Edit: Sorry about that.

WGN won't show Wrigley's garbage tossing fans, but WGN, er the Cubune had photos of the Ligue's on their webpage for months.

turners56
07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I think that's actually Dave Bush, not McClung. For the Brewers's 5th spot, Bush pitches the home games and McClung pitches the away games.

It is Bush. Bush pitches at home. McClung on the road. I just remembered.

hawkjt
07-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I didn't watch the Cubs game today, as is my practice, and I don't know how Harden pitched. I just looked at the line. It doesn't really matter how well Harden pitches, how many batters he strikes out, if he only pitches five innings. I saw his game against the Giants, and left with a 7-0 lead in a game that went extra innings. Today he apparently left with a 2-1 lead in a game that went extra innings. In between, he lost a game on his own.

When people were talking about Harden being a match for Sabathia, I laughed out loud. Harden can be very good. But he is a fragile pitcher. If he is only going five innings to save his arm, he fits the role of a superior long reliever who needs a lot of rest. If you team is scoring for him, it might not matter (although it did in his debut against the Giants), but the Cubs are overusing their bullpen, and the bullpen pitched more innings today than the Cubs starter. They pitched almost as many innings as Harden in his first start.

Meanwhile, Sabathia has pitched four games for the Brewers -- pitching 36 innings and requiring 3 innings of work from the Brewers' overworked bullpen.

Lately, the Cubs don't look like a wild card team, let alone a division winner. When the deal came down, I believed they might be better off with Sean Gallagher.

With the cubs in the middle of like 20 games in a row,I think they will rue the day they decided to cast their lot with this porcelein china doll harden. Their bullpen is shot right now with wood out anyway and tomorrow they will have Bobby Howry(gascan),Eyre...struggling and the rookie Smarmy that can back up a suspect Marquis ...ouch. Then they have 4 in a row vs the Brewers.

Their bullpen will be toast by the end of august and with harden going a max of 5 innings that will just add to their fatigue.
Maybe wood will be back by tuesday or so..but til then they really have no closer. The sox had to deal with Bobby being out also...not easy.
At least gallagher was healthy and could throw tons of pitches.

The Immigrant
07-26-2008, 06:44 PM
They're booing Dan Uggla now....probably for his ASG performance that ultimately had no impact on the game.

Nah, it couldn't be. The Cubs already won the World Series in May, so why should they care about the ASG?

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 09:24 PM
WGN won't show Wrigley's garbage tossing fans, but WGN, er the Cubune had photos of the Ligue's on their webpage for months.

When Arne Harris was still around, WGN would show the fans trashing the field.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 10:16 PM
The Crew wins, in first place tie with Cubs.

White City
07-26-2008, 10:21 PM
So there you go -- Cubs lose their lead in the division and fall behind the Sox in winning percentage on the same day. And it's not even August!

Meanwhile, our boys look like they are built for October.

Life is good!

1908<2005
07-26-2008, 10:24 PM
So there you go -- Cubs lose their lead in the division and fall behind the Sox in winning percentage on the same day. And it's not even August!

Meanwhile, our boys look like they are built for October.

Life is good!
And the Cubs have to do with us how?

White City
07-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Perhaps you didn't notice that this is a thread about the Cubs, posted on What's the Score?

Anyway, I live in Georgia and have never lived in Chicago, so beyond the usual dislike for the celebration of losing, I have no dog in that fight. It's just an interesting anecdote, that you are free to ignore.

SaltyPretzel
07-26-2008, 10:43 PM
And the Cubs have to do with us how?

As much as your screen name. :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
07-26-2008, 10:50 PM

GREAT ONE!

MCHSoxFan
07-26-2008, 11:12 PM

I was actually at the game with my brother. We had a rough time there. We didn't even wear Sox stuff/Cubs are **** stuff!!!! Anyways, we noticed the the TV's at Wrigley during this time just had the Cubs logo on it...NOT the Lou ejection. And yes, people were throwing all kinds of **** from the bleachers.

MCHSoxFan
07-26-2008, 11:15 PM
1 out away. Now if only the Brewers can win tonight...

They did! 6-4 over HOU. I want the Brewers to win the N.L. Central and play us in the 2008 World Series. I like the city of Milwaukee. I have gone there every year since 2002. Before, my brother and grandmother did. I go with here since 2002. However, I would still prefer STL to win OVER the Cubs.

CubKilla
07-26-2008, 11:36 PM

Beat me to it.

EuroSox35
07-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I saw one atbat of this game, Lee struck out on a check swing (on a clear swing) and he threw his bat, did a motion to the umpire, and a clear **** bomb straight to him (I think he included the guy's mother in it too), I was shocked he wasn't thrown out. He later went on to throw a temper tantrum in the dugout

itsnotrequired
07-27-2008, 12:09 AM
80 posts? U all should be lucky West hasn't killed u yet.

TomC727
07-27-2008, 04:09 AM

Forget about it.

I met Hawk at a Sox function in '96. He was an extremely nice guy to talk to and and sat there talking baseball with me for about 10 minutes.

hawkjt
07-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Taking last nite as an example...Hawk and DJ were almost overboard in their love and praise for Polanco,Cabrera,Verlander,Inge,Guillen, ect...

I do not see how any tiger fan could come away from that telecast and say that hawk is anything but an admirer of leyland and his tigers.

Frontman
07-27-2008, 09:29 AM
I met Hawk at a Sox function in '96. He was an extremely nice guy to talk to and and sat there talking baseball with me for about 10 minutes.

That's good to know. I wouldn't say I'd be afraid to approach him, but he just comes across as a tough old buzzard who wouldn't appreciate being bothered if he doesn't need to be.

I stand corrected.

MCHSoxFan
07-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Another example. After that game on 7/1 versus CLE (10th inning with Alexei/Wise/OC), I cam walking right by the press box. Ken is coming out. I say to him "What a game!!!". He responds, in a friendly matter, "Oh yeees it was!". I never had an issue with him.

white sox bill
07-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Back in roughly 2001 at Soxfest, my buddy and I rode the escalator up with Hawk...I pat him on the back and said "The Hawkero!" to get his attention. He called me partner and we proceeded to have a brief convo about cold weather in Chicago and he can't wait to get back to Tampa to golf again. I thought he was very approachable

RTI_SoxFan
07-27-2008, 12:51 PM
That's good to know. I wouldn't say I'd be afraid to approach him, but he just comes across as a tough old buzzard who wouldn't appreciate being bothered if he doesn't need to be.

I stand corrected.

I was in Cleveland in 2003 for a Sox/Indians game... went early to hit a bar right by the stadium. We stayed in the same hotel as the Sox were at. Anywho, we were walking to the area around Jacobs Field when we ran into Hawk. Talked to him briefly and he led us in the right direction (we were going into a bad neighborhood). He came across as a great guy!

On a side note, when we arrived in Cleveland on Friday night, we went to the hotel bar. Magglio was sitting right next to me with a female friend who WAS NOT his wife. They left the bar together and well.....

I'm just sayin'

turners56
07-27-2008, 04:20 PM
80 posts? U all should be lucky West hasn't killed u yet.

This has to be the most popular Cubs game thread in a while now.

Frontman
07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
This has to be the most popular Cubs game thread in a while now.

The team of destiny proved it could lose (and lose very easily won games) in their home ballpark, their unbeatable fortress of strength. The media might take and maybe will hold off on October plans for now.

turners56
07-27-2008, 04:41 PM
The team of destiny proved it could lose (and lose very easily won games) in their home ballpark, their unbeatable fortress of strength. The media might take and maybe will hold off on October plans for now.

Cubs are down 6-5. Mike Jacobs is the Cubs killer today. Jeremy Hermida's laying off today.

thomas35forever
07-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Cubs are down 6-5. Mike Jacobs is the Cubs killer today. Jeremy Hermida's laying off today.
Cubs are now up 9-6 after scoring four runs in the seventh.

Bill Naharodny
07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Cubs are now up 9-6 after scoring four runs in the seventh.

The Cubs are in that part of every season where people begin thinking Mike Fontenot is really good.

lukeman89
07-27-2008, 05:23 PM
The Cubs are in that part of every season where people begin thinking Mike Fontenot is really good.

for the role he plays on the cubs, he is really good

Bill Naharodny
07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
for the role he plays on the cubs, he is really good

Exactly, as long as he plays that role. But he'll be overplayed, which is what tends to happen over there -- and then folks are real disappointed that: (a) Reed Johnson isn't an All-Star; (b) Jim Edmonds really is, like, 38 years old; (c) Matt Murton is a part-time player with no power; and (d) Mike Fontenot is a platoon guy.

Oh, and soon everyone will be shocked and surprised when Theriot isn't hitting .330.

1908<2005
07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Matt Murton isn't on the Cubs...

Cuck the Fubs
07-27-2008, 10:17 PM

You'd be amazed at how many of the World's greatest fans don't know that :smile:

TornLabrum
07-27-2008, 10:53 PM
You'd be amazed at how many of the World's greatest fans don't know that :smile:

I have no doubt that some of them when they get to a game at Wrigley are shocked when Sammy Sosa isn't playing.

Bill Naharodny
07-27-2008, 11:10 PM

Yep, I know that. Just a prime example from the past couple of years. :redface:

Cuck the Fubs
07-27-2008, 11:21 PM
I have no doubt that some of them when they get to a game at Wrigley are shocked when Sammy Sosa isn't playing.

Judging my the sheer amount of Sosa,Prior & Nomar jerseys I've seen this year, I have no doubt your statement is on the money.

The ultimate was the Juan Pierre Cub jersey I saw on one guy Saturday at Comerica. :?:

pierzynski07
07-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I hope we're not seeing any #35s around The Cell this year. How embarrasing.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2008, 09:20 AM

Sosa left Chicago in disgrace.

Prior left in a body cast with bag of throwing towels.

Nomar never did much for the Cubs.

How do these three compare to Frank Thomas' tenure with the Sox?

Why would it be embarrassing for someone to wear a Thomas jersey to a Sox game? Would a Ventura, Fisk or Allen jersey be embarrassing?

pierzynski07
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes: Please pay attention. The whole basis of the posts were that many of today's fans are shocked that Sosa isn't on the team anymore. I fail to see how wearing jerseys of him, or former players, even flavor-of-the-month ones, is an indincation of that. Jerseys aren't exactly cheap these days, or ever. For some, you have what you have, and it's better than nothing.

Ragator43
07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
[/quote]I hope we're not seeing any #35s around The Cell this year. How embarrasing.[/quote]

:rolleyes: Please pay attention. The whole basis of the posts were that many of today's fans are shocked that Sosa isn't on the team anymore. I fail to see how wearing jerseys of him, or former players, even flavor-of-the-month ones, is an indincation of that. Jerseys aren't exactly cheap these days, or ever. For some, you have what you have, and it's better than nothing.

So which way is it? How can you say its embarrassing to see 35's being worn around the Cell but then attempt to justify the wearing of old or outdated jerseys?

Coming from one of those "embarrassing" people, I choose to wear 35 to the park not because of what he did in a White Sox uniform, but because he was the biggest influence as to why I became a Sox fan in the first place. Whether or not he's playing in MLB (for or against the Sox) has no impact on my wardrobe choice for a ballgame.

PatK
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM

The difference is that Sox fans didn't turn on Thomas when he left town.

PorkChopExpress
07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
The funny thing is, there are probably some "fans" there who don't even know who Sammy Sosa is or that he was ever a Cub.

pierzynski07
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM

So which way is it? How can you say its embarrassing to see 35's being worn around the Cell but then attempt to justify the wearing of old or outdated jerseys?

Coming from one of those "embarrassing" people, I choose to wear 35 to the park not because of what he did in a White Sox uniform, but because he was the biggest influence as to why I became a Sox fan in the first place. Whether or not he's playing in MLB (for or against the Sox) has no impact on my wardrobe choice for a ballgame.
I forgot the teal. :redface: Of course there's nothing wrong with wearing Big Hurt jerseys in 2008, nor is there with wearing one of any former player.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I forgot the teal. :redface: Of course there's nothing wrong with wearing Big Hurt jerseys in 2008, nor is there with wearing one of any former player.

OK. All is forgiven. :smile: